The Cricket World Cup Thread

shaardula
BRF Oldie

Re: The Cricket World Cup Celebration Thread

Post by shaardula »

VenkataS wrote:Dhoni's is the man!!!
He has such an awesome personality and aura around him.
did you see his broad shouldered swagger during the victory lap. imho, in terms of coolness of persona, he gives krishna of dwaraka a real run for the money - he just won the world cup and man is like meh.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Dear Dhoni Mahoday, a thousand apologies for saying vile things about you during the WC. And thank you TI for making every Indian's dream come true.

And yes, Dilbullah and SwamyG ki Jai Ho!! No more calls for pitchforks and octopus BBQ aganist Dilbullah from me.
Last edited by nachiket on 03 Apr 2011 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Shaardula, I agree with the grit and determination part. I know I am being greedy here and asking for a full paisa vasool on the strong batting lineup doing the fireworks. But for that we had to bat first. Not taking away anything from Gauti and Dhoni's superb knock which did not require a blitzkrieg in the context at 2 down. It was our loss. I was hoping for Sehwag to single handedly decimating the Lankan attack. :( It was not to be.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

TFWIW----
15 lessons MSD can give MMS
Hilarious.
1. Mahendra Singh Dhoni doesn’t have report to the BCCI on every single move he makes although he is appointed by it. Manmohan Singh cannot move a single sheet of paper without an OK from the high command which appointed him.

2. Dhoni has built a team which listens to him most of the times; Manmohan’s team rarely listens to him or to each other.

3. Dhoni remains calm and soaks in all the pressure even when leading Chennai Super Kings. Manmohan too remains calm, but that is because he transfers all the pressure on to his colleagues when Chennai’s Super King is in the picture.

4. If Dhoni makes a single mistake (like say handing the ball to Ashish Nehra for the final over), the whole country turns against him. If Manmohan makes blunder after blunder (CWG, 2G, S-band), the people are not bothered.

5. Dhoni graciously owns up when he slips up, he doesn’t call it an “error of judgment” or attribute it to some unknown ‘compulsions’. On the other hand, Manmohan….

6. In times of crisis, Dhoni leads from the front to overcome the situation. Manmohan hides or deflects it to his colleagues, unless the crisis lands directly at his doorstep, a la S-band.

7. In case of Dhoni, the buck stops with him. In case of Manmohan, whose “personality integrity is beyond question”, the buck travels upwards, downwards and sidweards to one or more of his colleagues in the government or party.

8. Nobody is looking over Dhoni’s shoulders to occupy his position, at least not publicly. In case of Manmohan, from day one he is rumoured to be merely warming the chair for someone else.

9. Dhoni remains calm and unruffled be it in victory or defeat, the hallmark of a true leader. In the case of Manmohan, no one ever gets to see his emotions.

10. Dhoni doesn’t make vicious comments on the opposition in case of adversity; Manmohan likes to needle the opposition, especially Lalchand Kishinchand Advani.

11. Dhoni makes decisions all by himself after taking inputs from all. It is evident from Wikileaks that the United States is helping Manmohan make msot of our key decisions.

12. Dhoni doesn’t have an intellectual background and has never had to buy up the opposition to keep his position. Despite his “personal integrity being beyond question”, Manmohan, well…

13. Rarely has the BCCI publicly interfered with Dhoni’s work and told him how to run the Indian team. Not a day passes without the Supreme Court telling the government what to do.

14. Dhoni’s action brings cheer to millions every day; Mammohan’s inaction brings sense of dismay and betrayal in millions.

15. Dhoni is yet to visit Parliament in the company of Shahid Afridi to see how Manmohan and his men battle it out in Parliament; Manmohan is visiting Mohali to see how Dhoni and his team fare.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

[quote="krisna"][/quote]

ERR is a genius and a passionate mysorean. these days i read churumuri only for him and perhaps shobi. sunaad, krishna et all are too full of complicated to be worth it.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Bade wrote:A fairytale WC final would have been, India win the toss, elect to bat and put a massive score with lots of boom boom for entertainment from the top order and then fold the Lankans with 100+ to go. That would have been more paisa vasool.

The good part is we won and can be WC Champs till the next one. :)
Bade mian, this is actually paisa vasool in terms of long-term. The TI performance was disciplined, tight and steady. No Steve Jobs type disruptive fireworks performance but a very Microsoft-ish mundane, very steady plodding performance - something which can be replicated again and again and again with success whereas the once-in-a-life-time-fireworks type play cannot be.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Bose babu, but this is WC final, no ? Expectations can be a little irrational. :)

The Oz type professional, cold calculated games will be need to win series after series in the upcoming tours. It was just a wish anyways.
VenkataS
BRFite

Post by VenkataS »

I hope Gary Kirsten can be persuaded to take a sabbatical of 6 months/1 year and come back to coach the team.

This Indian team is scaling new heights (and doing it in style) under MSD's leadership and his coaching.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

VenkataS wrote:I hope Gary Kirsten can be persuaded to take a sabbatical of 6 months/1 year and come back to coach the team.

This Indian team is scaling new heights (and doing it in style) under MSD's leadership and his coaching.
Let Gary go. Let there be fresh ideas and a new beginning. Mission 2015.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

shaardula wrote:bade saar. situation. context. i dont know exact stats, but i will be surprised if there have been too many 275 run chases in WC finals. you think the match was not great only because of those two partnerships between gauti and kohli and gauti and dhoni. they kept it cool, singles and doubles and before sanga could say gacchami, it was over. to play like that from 30/2 in a world cup final with ~245 more requires some balls.
none, this is the highest successful chase in a WC final.

there have been only 2 successful chases before this, the lankans chased 240 odd in 1996 and the aussies chased 130 something after shooting out the packees for <140.

for a WC final it could not have been more emphatic than this. even the centurion match against packees that bade saar remembers had a similar boring phase after sachin got out.
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

shaardula wrote:can somebody please find out what the highest world cup chase was?
274 is the highest run total chased down in the WC finals. The next highest total of 242 was chased down by Sri Lanka in '96
Last edited by Shalav on 03 Apr 2011 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

CONGRATULATIONS!! TO ALL MY BR BROTHERS!! this is an amazing win that I watched with my closest friends. Each and every ball of the last three matches. We made it!!!

That's what MENTAL STRENGTH means!!! ability of saying and completing that "soldier is not going to be dead for his country but making sure that enemy soldier dies for his/her country".

This is a different and confident India which will make sure that it ascends and reaches the glory!! 2012 Olympics is next!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! BANDE MATRAM!!!!!
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

Dedicated to true grit and Team India :-
In the streets of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai we waited
As Mahela batted and our bowlers were baited
Then from our boys much was expected
But wickets fell, faith wavered and our boys we hated
Yet in the shimmering summer night under the Wankhede lights
When the time came for a nation to meet its destiny
the General rode out himself to meet the enemy
and carried us past the finishing line to Victory
-- Abhijit
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Sonia Gandhi celebrates on Delhi streets

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/s ... ets/195460

Well, now the Sonia and Congress will be desperately hoping that people will forget all the corruption scandals and wikileaks.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

by Manish Jain
Only grouse, Yuvi didn't deserve to be man of tournament.
***EDIT***
A person who scored 362 runs and takes 15 wickets does not deserve to be man of the tournament who else?

All the people in this forum who called Yuvraj names and called him with various names should go home and "*** themselves" because you are the reason that India is a loser country even now! (never believe in your own mother land)!!

India needs people with positive approach (chardhi kala) like Yuvraj, Harbhajan and Dhoni.

It is because of Indians like Amarnath, srikanth, yashpal, Kapil, et all that India won in 1983.
It is because of Indians like Yuvraj, Tendulkar, Zaheer and Dhoni that India won in 2011.

ONCE AGAIN!!! Positive thinking and "chardhi kala" is the key.
Last edited by Rahul M on 03 Apr 2011 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: needless comments deleted.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

shaardula wrote:can somebody please find out what the highest world cup chase was? given the stage, the occasion, and the quality of bowling, chasing 274 takes immense balls. only the youngistan could have done it. by 40 over mark, you can see sanga cannot believe it, he has fear in his.
'96 chase by SriLanka should be the highest. They were chasing 241
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

hey hey easy there
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sheesh bajwa ji, at least read the complete post for f&&*'s sake before going off on a tangent.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Array Bajwa ji, why bring Islam into the picture? Being a Muslim makes one less of an Indian? Isn't Zaheer Khan a true Indian? Calm down sir ji.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Yuvi mentioned that Hirwani is helping him with his bowling.
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

That was some example of handling pressure. Also the good thing is, the match showed that younger breed could carry the mantle after SRT and continue our batting form from here. Great work team India
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Bharat Mata Ki Jay!!

So what if I say I met MSD when he was probably 10!! Yes I did. Proud of him today!!
Good going.

Jai Hind
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Munna is Munna. Walked up to the podium to receive his award on short pants. And then did not bother to run around in the victory lap and stayed with the support staff.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

shaardula wrote:
krisna wrote:
ERR is a genius and a passionate mysorean. these days i read churumuri only for him and perhaps shobi. sunaad, krishna et all are too full of complicated to be worth it.

Who is ERR saar?
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

SandeepA wrote:I'm a Dhoni fan finally!!
Same here! Congrats to all Indians!! Feel so proud!! WELL DONE!!
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

signing off from this page..its been a wonderful experience.

taking wife and our 4 month old for a dinner out and jewelry shopping (promised to buy them something if India wins). They have been very supportive (beer and snacks and not disturbing etc). Even my little one was very supportive. I would ask her "smile if India will win" and she would flash that immediately.

Many a disappointments endured (95 semi and 03 final were the hardest to bear) were wiped off. Thank you Dhoni. In the end, when it mattered, you stepped up.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

fanne wrote:Bharat Mata Ki Jay!!

So what if I say I met MSD when he was probably 10!! Yes I did. Proud of him today!!
Good going.

Jai Hind
Abhe, it took you a full two years and a WC victory to finally post on BRF. Good that you still remember your BRF password.Welcome back.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Ind vs SL: Happy farewell for Tendulkar, bitter one for Muralitharan

What is TOIlet on about? Did God say somewhere after the match that he is going to retire??
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Now that I am out of my anti-jinxing jumpsuit this victory has actually started to sink in; boy this is really as unbelievable as a Bollywood flick. Remember we were so apprehensive of our bowling attack going into the WC and P Kumar's injury did not help either. Then there was talk about Yuvi's form (and no it was not just us, there were a couple of TV shows with Yuvi where he himself admitted that he was out of form) and lastly MSD has indeed played a typical hero from an Indian movie i.e. fighting against all odds and criticism and coming out on top in the final fight.

Meanwhile RB I have sent my khuspoo to plant a peck on your cheek. Mahdi where r you ? looks like he had a lot of zam zam.

Finally Stan don't tell me you didn't watch the match.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Congratulations everyone!
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Since poonam didn't oblige someone did

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... tml?page=6
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

dhoni made me eat my words. cometh the occassion, cometh the man and all other leadership cliches have never been truer than in the case of MSD. Gawd ki jai, MSD ki jai. TI ki Jai.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

MSD reminds me of a Dharmendra protecting basanthi
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

My unabashed sincere apologies for doubting Gauti and MSD at various stages of the tournament....they came through today and how.

Whatta roller-coaster. Whatta victory. Witnessed history being made. This isthe stuff we'll tell stories about years later to kids n grandkids.....one-day mataram! Jai hind and jai ho!
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

What a tight slap Gambhir has given Ian Chappel. First it was Dravid and now Gambhir. Ian Chappel will now stay away from Indian players.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

partha wrote:What a tight slap Gambhir has given Ian Chappel. First it was Dravid and now Gambhir. Ian Chappel will now stay away from Indian players.
He had asked Tendulkar to retire as well. You can be fairly certain that if Ian Chappell's dissing a player he's going to make him eat is words sooner rather than later.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Truly a "Jai Ho" moment. Congratulations all!
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

partha wrote:What a tight slap Gambhir has given Ian Chappel. First it was Dravid and now Gambhir. Ian Chappel will now stay away from Indian players.
Why, what happened, some detail pls?!?!

Some random thoughts:-

1. The ODI format ain't going anywhere. Its particular combo of strategy & tactics, long and short, ups and down are unreplicate-able.

2. We must have officially moved to the #1 slot in ODI rankings too, no?

3. Hope the BCCI's announced awards to the players (INR 1 Cr each) is also as tax free as ICC's profits are... (INR 45 Cr tax dues waived only)

4. Hope TI reaches out not just to other fledgling sports in the country - Hockey and soccer notably - but also to create resource/talent pools in certain key departments in the game - pace bowling being the biggest.

5. Poonam Pandey's prolly going to do a paintjob like our Bakis do with CHinese missiles. She'll apply a 0.1 inch thick coat of body paint and pose only. /Just a guess.

6. Jai hind and jai ho.
Anantha
BRFite

Post by Anantha »

nachiket wrote:
He had asked Tendulkar to retire as well. You can be fairly certain that if Ian Chappell's dissing a player he's going to make him eat is words sooner rather than later.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sour ... =kolhapuri

Here are fine strong Kolhapuri chappals. Please pick one and mentally slap the Chappal bros with it. In fact some IT guru here can make a flash pict of GG and SRT slapping Ian Chappal with Kolhapuri chappals .
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Hari Seldon wrote:
Why, what happened, some detail pls?!?!
Ian Chappel had said during WC, that Gambhir didn't deserve a place in 15.