The Cricket World Cup Thread

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Re: The Cricket World Cup Celebration Thread

Post by SwamyG »

It’s an ego thing’ Gambhir interview
What is the best compliment you have got so far?
My inbox had 676 messages and about 192 missed calls when I switched on my phone after the game. I haven’t read them, but I'm sure I can't get a better message than what Gary told me. He said, ‘if ever I need anyone to save my life, it will be you’. That to me sums up Gary Kirsten. He gives you so much confidence you feel like Superman. I feel I can smash the wall with my head.
Any big success also helps erase some bitter memories. Did this do that for you?
Yes. Perhaps this win will ensure I don't revisit the lows of not making the team for the 2007 World Cup. From a broader perspective, it was heartening to see a teeming lobby of the Taj, with so many fans cheering for Team India. Who'd have thought when 26/11 happened that three years down the road this lobby would witness historic scenes one day.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I like this chap Gambhir!

That Pak song for Saudi is unbelieveable! Man WTF?!?!

Sachin is God.

Man, I was in tears through most of the our innings - was at friends place with few other guys. Buggers were like WTF is WRONG with this guy!!! Couldn't bear to watch was like Jayawardene's wife!!! Thank god it is not my responsibility to push the nuke button!!! Few countries would have been fried by now for sure! I must have smoked a hundred cigarettes, built up forearm muscles rolling the little fu(kers...
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

rsingh wrote:[youtube]dBS0Gd2mWq0&feature=related[/youtube]
Awesome lungi dance for Finals victory.

Here is another one. I'm not sure it can be called lungi dance but Dhoti dance.
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Anantha wrote:There is a you tube video of Afridi talking about hateful Indians at Mohali the day after the semi. I cannot find it anymore, could any one post it. I need it how it to some candlewallahs. Thanks

Here you go Anantha....there are 2 videos of that Moth#$%R Fuc^&*^ POAKROACH

I gave a very good reply on FB to a border line WKK friend :)
Yeah I guess the "thali ka baingan" received a phone call from the Jihadis back home, after the first interview to tone down the "Aman Ka Tamasha" a little, otherwise he would also be halaaled like some other eminent folk in that country

I am also guessing all the "bhaichaara" was to get access to play in IPL.....but, since that did not happen....now, all the venom is coming out ;)
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

They are not the same Afridis. They are judwaa bhais separated at birth.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket ... 09399.html
"People started loving the sport and you then saw two individuals making their debut, Anil Kumble and Sachin Tendulkar." He then said that the successful careers of Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid, which began in 1996, marked the next step. "This was the chain of players because of whom we are in this position right now. We earn a lot of money, we get a lot respect and what we are trying to do is to pass it onto the next generation."
This is awesome! I was hoping that Dhoni will give credit to Kumble, Dravid, Ganguly too and he does. All these men with exceptional and gifted talent but couldn't win many matches early on because of lack of contribution from rest of the team. 90s Indian cricket was mostly one man show or marred by match fixing. Only after Ganguly took over did things started looking up. Whole team started contributing. Hats off to SCG. This cup also belongs to SCG, Dravid, Kumble who built and inspired the team after 99 WC.

Dhoni rocks!
Last edited by partha on 04 Apr 2011 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Sonia Gandhi joins cricket revellers at midnight
http://www.hindu.com/2011/04/04/stories ... 531600.htm

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket ... 09399.html
"People started loving the sport and you then saw two individuals making their debut, Anil Kumble and Sachin Tendulkar." He then said that the successful careers of Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid, which began in 1996, marked the next step. "This was the chain of players because of whom we are in this position right now. We earn a lot of money, we get a lot respect and what we are trying to do is to pass it onto the next generation."
Need VVSL's name mentioned as well.
Last edited by SaiK on 04 Apr 2011 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket ... index.html
India win, but Mumbai loses

what do you say?
Last edited by SaiK on 04 Apr 2011 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

Zak remembers '83 team:
India's pace spearhead Zaheer Khan on Sunday said that he and his teammates were happy to emulate the heroics of the 1983 World Cup winning team by lifting the title in cricket's showpiece event in Mumbai on Saturday.
"It's just an amazing thing to realise what the 1983 team experienced. We were kids then and used to look at it mostly. How special they made it and we are proud to have repeated the feat of 1983 (team)," said the left-arm pace bowler.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

"Mumbai match finale unfortunately had 'Vande Mataram',anthem that aroused communal controversy, blaring loudly from stadium loudspeakers"

http://twitter.com/Mushahid/statuses/54305909018591232
Hypocrisy doesn't even begin to describe these creatures
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Sushupti wrote:
"Mumbai match finale unfortunately had 'Vande Mataram',anthem that aroused communal controversy, blaring loudly from stadium loudspeakers"

http://twitter.com/Mushahid/statuses/54305909018591232
Hypocrisy doesn't even begin to describe these creatures

In the spirit of celebration I tried not to even read such stuff. In fact some miscreants in Karimnagar town of AP went up to top of the building and replaced the Indian flag with a religious flag. There was tension in the town for few hours during celebrations.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this type of person would find a CARROT as 'hindu' - because it is saffron. and just because this saffron kafir vegetable dares to grow everywhere it is a insult to his religion and should be cut down! likewise anyone eating a carrot is also wajb-ul-qatl.

perhaps sardesai or dutt might want to host a special discussion with a planted audience about the anti-secular aspects of the WC2011 and the final in general? I am sure that would drive up their TRP ratings from 0.0000001% to 0.00000011% :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Posted by hatrick26 on (April 03 2011, 22:22 PM GMT)

India on the way to the top the World - played 7 out of 8 Test playing nations (only NZ was left out) - Won 5 Lost 1 and Tied 1. Also beat previous World Cup Champions in the order they were crowned - WI,Aus, Pak & SL. It has a nice ring to that. They had the tougher road, a difficult group and more battle hardened. Even their matches against Irish/Dutch were not absolute beat down.
Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

pic on last page of mumbai toi. im going to cut it and paste it in my room. memorable photo

http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/Rep ... 270001.png

get your copy now.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

^^
BCCI has placed this ad in all national dailies. It is for keeps
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.hindu.com/2011/04/04/stories ... 401400.htm
The News of the World, headlined its story “Justice Dhoni, India's joy after toss row.” It said, “Sri Lanka skipper Kumar Sangakkara was at the centre of a cheat row before India stormed to a win.
what was the cheat row all about? I never got to see that.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

There were some emotional scenes at the lobby of Taj Mahal Palace hotel on Saturday night when the Indian team returned from the Wankhede Stadium.

Yuvraj Singh refused to let go the World Cup trophy.

“I have kissed it at least 1000 times, yet I can’t quench my thirst,” he said.

Harbhajan Singh sprayed a bottle of champaign all over the lobby. “We have not forgotten the 26/11,” he told the hotel staff.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think this weeks magazines will have better high res photos, albeit of much smaller size than newspapers today.

apparently the Taj guests got wind that TI trying to sneak in backdoor after midnight - so many came out and danced with the TI in the lobby shouting "india India" while the usually officious hotel staff had to stand meekly aside as curtains, carpets and sofas got sprayed with cake and champagne :D and then another party outside the players rooms between TI alone. :oops:

the damage could run into lakhs which I am sure BCCI will happily cover :mrgreen:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Steve Waugh wrote:Man of the moment

But ‘Midas Singh Dhoni' was the man of the moment. There are two kinds of leaders, those who let the game change them and the decisions they make and those who change the game with the decisions they make.

Dhoni has always had a sense of occasion, but on Saturday he was simply exceptional. He decided to promote himself in the batting order to continue the left-right combination but he did more than that — he took on the pressure of a potentially game-changing situation. He did not play one false stroke — other than one upper cut and the last sixer, he played along the ground, and the off-drives he played were so well-placed that he was able to keep the runs required within reach at all times.

This World Cup has changed the theory that wicket-keeper captains don't work. Dhoni and Kumar Sangakkara have shown that it's all about leadership skills and not about the role one plays in the team. Coming back to the early half of the game, once again Sri Lanka looked too tentative at the start of its batting. Like in the 2007 World Cup final, it seemed intent on keeping wickets in hand.
http://www.hindu.com/2011/04/04/stories ... 722100.htm
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

According to Michael Vaughan Sangakkara knew he called out wrong during the first toss attempt, and then pretended to call the reverse. Dhoni initially apparently heard what Vaughan claims to have heard, and therefore assumed he won the toss and said India would bat. However Jeff Crowe intervened saying he didn't hear what Sanga mumbled, and asked for the toss to be redone, and this time Sanga legitimately won. Poetic justice that they lost anyway.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Indeed... remember Dhoni took sreesanth over ashwin.. just for that batting first reason. Wonder why Malinga could not use the wet ground for bowling second? Perhaps it was all our batting that made the difference.

Congrats to Gutam, who did a Gambhiric job with grit defense and annoying shots for the lankans. kohli support was vital too. Like steve wagh said, it was Midas Dhoni indeed who changed the wet ball to wet pants for slinga lankans.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Actually if you listen to the toss video with attention, you can hear something like "tails". I am pretty sure Sanga called tails. This would have become a huge controversy had India lost the game. Sanga bach gaya.
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

HAHAHAHA!

I am gonna rotate that picture and make it a nice 1920x1080 wallpaper and make it my desktop at work :D
Especially to show it to my paki friend :twisted:
Last edited by anishns on 04 Apr 2011 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you mean x1080?
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

One of the bestest dins of my life :)
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Look at Mukul Kesavan's grouse against Preity Zinta, standing up to the D-company can do this too.
http://telegraphindia.com/1110404/jsp/o ... 805033.jsp
Folks here should learn psy-ops on how to write w x y and intersperse it with an a, then finish off with a z. Amazing.
saket
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saket »

This toad Ramachandra Guha wanted pakistan to win against India,

he must have wept for his mancrush afridi on his toilet :rotfl:

India did win despite Guha not wanting, good sign that India will become superpower as well.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

He probably wanted a pat on the back. Must have been surprised when he didn't get it. This is a dishonest man. Not because he said he wanted Pakistan to win, but because we know he said it to "impress" the crowd with his intellect and ability to stay away from the fray, with his "balance". He probably takes them for fools but they know what he's doing.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Suraj wrote:According to Michael Vaughan Sangakkara knew he called out wrong during the first toss attempt, and then pretended to call the reverse. Dhoni initially apparently heard what Vaughan claims to have heard, and therefore assumed he won the toss and said India would bat. However Jeff Crowe intervened saying he didn't hear what Sanga mumbled, and asked for the toss to be redone, and this time Sanga legitimately won. Poetic justice that they lost anyway.
Drunk with the win Indians are now downplaying this incident but had India lost then this would have been a big big controversy.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

JE Menon wrote:He probably wanted a pat on the back. Must have been surprised when he didn't get it. This is a dishonest man. Not because he said he wanted Pakistan to win, but because we know he said it to "impress" the crowd with his intellect and ability to stay away from the fray, with his "balance". He probably takes them for fools but they know what he's doing.
Exactly. Well put. We can hear the laughter from crowd.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Next time Sanga goes out to call a toss, he should be given a mike. :mrgreen:
Rub it the soft way.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

OK guys, get ready for some WTF:

World Cup trophy lifted by Team India is a fake
Did the Indian players know that the cup that Sharad Pawar, president of the International Cricket Council (ICC) and India's agriculture minister, presented to them, the gold-and-silver trophy that President Pratibha Patil lovingly touched at a reception on Sunday, was not the real one?

Interestingly, a day before the final, Dhoni and his Sri Lankan counterpart Kumar Sangakkara had customarily posed with the same replica. And whether their teammates were aware of that? Chances are they were not.

The real trophy, valued at about $130,000 in money terms, but priceless for any cricket lover, was not at the Wankhede stadium, as the world had been led to believe.

It was rotting at a secure government godown, having been seized by the Mumbai Customs on its arrival from Colombo after the Sri Lanka-New Zealand semifinals on March 29.

The reason: The trophy, according to India's Byzantine customs rules, was not eligible for exemption from import duty! And a combination of bumbling babudom, and the ICC's bungling, ensured that it stayed under lock and key at the airport.
Now, it will be flying back to the International Cricket Council's (ICC) Dubai headquarters on Monday - without having once being actually touched by the team which had fought so hard to win it.
saket
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saket »

partha wrote:OK guys, get ready for some WTF:

Did the Indian players know that the cup that Sharad Pawar, president of the International Cricket Council (ICC) and India's agriculture minister, presented to them, the gold-and-silver trophy that President Pratibha Patil lovingly touched at a reception on Sunday, was not the real one?

Interestingly, a day before the final, Dhoni and his Sri Lankan counterpart Kumar Sangakkara had customarily posed with the same replica. And whether their teammates were aware of that? Chances are they were not.

The real trophy, valued at about $130,000 in money terms, but priceless for any cricket lover, was not at the Wankhede stadium, as the world had been led to believe.

It was rotting at a secure government godown, having been seized by the Mumbai Customs on its arrival from Colombo after the Sri Lanka-New Zealand semifinals on March 29.

The reason: The trophy, according to India's Byzantine customs rules, was not eligible for exemption from import duty! And a combination of bumbling babudom, and the ICC's bungling, ensured that it stayed under lock and key at the airport.
Now, it will be flying back to the International Cricket Council's (ICC) Dubai headquarters on Monday - without having once being actually touched by the team which had fought so hard to win it.
The trophy impounded by Customs is the ICC's original which is NOT presented to the winning team.
The winning team is presented an almost identical replica made for the particular edition of the World Cup, so Dhoni lifted the right trophy.
The ICC's original trophy is kept in its headquarters in Dubai and has the names the winning teams of all editions engraved on it, but the replica presented to the winning captain doesnt.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Folks , I am looking for a quote from a Paki player where he said it was good to do Namaz from Indian soil before the semi-final.
Can someone post that link please. I cannot seem to find it.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

saket wrote:
partha wrote:OK guys, get ready for some WTF:

The trophy impounded by Customs is the ICC's original which is NOT presented to the winning team.
The winning team is presented an almost identical replica made for the particular edition of the World Cup, so Dhoni lifted the right trophy.
The ICC's original trophy is kept in its headquarters in Dubai and has the names the winning teams of all editions engraved on it, but the replica presented to the winning captain doesnt.
I see. I was not aware of this fact. Thanks.