Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by Prasad »

Sir,
If you're using firefox, all you need to do is right click on the word and select "add to dictionary" and it will recognise them the next time, as propah words onlee! I think its the same on google chrome browser too.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Marten wrote:Prasad, Shiv saar is probably not referring to custom dictionaries, but standard ones where one expects to see words of "Indic" origin that have been assimilated into what is now known as the "Indian English".

Shiv saar, the language settings you must check are the OS default. Not sure of which OS you are on, but Windows 7 offers English, Indian as an option these days. Not sure though, of the coverage of the words you've listed.
Marten - you have figured out my intent. I am using Firefox on Ubuntu but that is not the point. it takes two hands to clap. Indian English will be "recognized" if Indians make it their own and create our own dictionaries.As long as we look at others to point out to us what is wrong and what is right - Indian English will never be "recognized". I spent my entire boyhood and young adulthood surrounded by people who swore that if I did not speak Queen's English (Qyoon) it wasn't English. That was the time when a boy called Bill Gates was in school and unaffected by these colonial Indian affectations. Unless we can have pride in what we are as we are - we cannot get out from under Mama Brittania's skirt.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

jamwal wrote:^^
Right. I ( as a newbie) envisaged placing 1 complete Akash battery at each likely ingress point to defend Leh airfield. India can't afford to lose Leh in case of war with China. Of course, when you expand the scenario to whole of border, there'll be 100s of places where you'd want to place the missiles, but that's impossible. Also, not every town along the border presents a good enough target for even a single cruise missile. But that's just me talking.

When I finish writing the scenario, I'll post it in a DOC/PDF format with some of the maps. Wanted to do that while posting here, but kind of missed it.

PS: Anybody with enough time to help with proof reading ?
Jamwalji,

Would be glad to assist you with proof reading. Am Bangalore based.

Cheers
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Could admin help me out please?

I witnessed a dogfight at Kalaikunda AFB. Want to write a first person account of it and post it.

Which thread(s) would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rajanb wrote:Could admin help me out please?

I witnessed a dogfight at Kalaikunda AFB. Want to write a first person account of it and post it.

Which thread(s) would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.
The IAF History thread

Here
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 5#p1102795
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Thanks Shiv.

Now to relive the glory of my youth.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

rajanb wrote:
Jamwalji,

Would be glad to assist you with proof reading. Am Bangalore based.

Cheers

I've already mailed the draft to Bala and Marten. I'll mail it to you too if you want.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Jamwalji,

rajanunderscorebhavnaniathotmail

Cheers,
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

We should develop an Indian English dictionary to be added to MS Word for starters. We can collect typical words and create a file.
prabhug
BRFite

Post by prabhug »

Hi
Can anybody point me to wargaming used by professionals/amateurs?Is there anybody who does it in bangalore for amateurs
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Noob Pooch....
Does the angle of bank affect the turn rate of an aircraft???
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Noob Pooch....
Does the angle of bank affect the turn rate of an aircraft???
The angle of bank has everything to do with turn. No bank, no turn. The greater the bank, the greater the rate of turn provided the engines have the power to sustain that rate of turn. That is because a plane slows down when it turns and needs more power to keep up the rate of turn in a sustained turn.
Pratik_S
BRFite

Post by Pratik_S »

Hi guys, this is a bit OT but I am posting it here anyway. I am planning to make a video displaying Indian Military Aviation but I can't find a suitable background song/music. Any suggestions ?
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

You can use the music from the Armed forces website (I am not sure of copyright issues though). Or you could do the
Kandhon se milte hain kandhe.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Raghunath wrote:
nikhil_p wrote:It is for the pass out parade. I have seen the Sarang's in the past and they normally come in during the pass out parades. SKAT also has made some appearances (in the past). BTW where do you stay, I m in VimanNagar. Let me know!

Added later to clear confusion (in the past!)

Thanks Marten
Thanks for clearing that up.

I stay on Mangaldas Road, about 4-5 km from Viman Nagar! We should definitely meet sometime. In fact, I was in Viman Nagar 2 weeks back to look for High Points from where to plane spot :) .
Nice going, did u guys find any good place then?

While i stay a few hundred miles away but am just a Volvo away if worthy of an invite ;-)
Pratik_S wrote:Hi guys, this is a bit OT but I am posting it here anyway. I am planning to make a video displaying Indian Military Aviation but I can't find a suitable background song/music. Any suggestions ?
Rahul Sharma - Maya

Yves LaRock - Rise Up!

Hevia - Busindre Reel
ManojM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ManojM »

This may seem like a uber noob question but here goes: how does one insert a pic from a hard drive in a post? I tried [img]C:\path\image.jpg[/img] but that didn't work. Help! Thanks in advance.
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

ManojM wrote:This may seem like a uber noob question but here goes: how does one insert a pic from a hard drive in a post? I tried [img]C:\path\image.jpg[/img] but that didn't work. Help! Thanks in advance.
upload the image on a image hosting website and post the paste the link in
[img]here[/img]
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Pratik, could you email me @ the address given in my profile signature ? I will send you something.
ManojM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ManojM »

manum - thanks. will try it out.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

^ Unless you're going to upload a LOT of photos regularly, i suggest you upload to Flickr.

Its what most photographers upload to.
ManojM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ManojM »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:^ Unless you're going to upload a LOT of photos regularly, i suggest you upload to Flickr.

Its what most photographers upload to.
Thx - just did that. Getting the flickr url was a bit of pia though.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I've just had the chance to visit Palam Air Force Museum, New Delhi. What's the right thread for posting the pictures ?
Sushants
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sushants »

Hello everyone, I m new here. After reading this I found it a very informative forum. Would like to discuss. Have some experience from Engg background, but a newbie in strategic/defence domain.
So if someone could suggest some Good blogs related to strategy/security ...
Thanks in advance :)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

X-post...
fredleander wrote:Hi, everybody, I am a new member here and would like to introduce myself. I was quite intrigued when I discovered this website, it is so different from other, western military forums. I see there an emphasis on local politics and subjects. That is interesting. Hope you shall not find my future questions, and eventual postings, stupid.

I am a retired Norwegian air operations employee and army officer presently living with my youngest children in Sweden - they are studying there. My main interest is military history and my hobbies are collecting diecast models, vintage tube audio gear and vintage Lincoln cars. Presently I have only one but it has been up to seven.... :oops: ...

I have recently written a book on Operation Sea Lion, the planned German invasion of England in 1940. I am now working on two other projects from WW2.

Fred
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Welcome.
Wasn't Operation Sea Lion aborted by the failure of Luftwaffe to win the Battle of Britain and the need to launch Operation Barborossa against FSU?
fredleander
BRFite -Trainee

Post by fredleander »

ramana wrote:Welcome.
Wasn't Operation Sea Lion aborted by the failure of Luftwaffe to win the Battle of Britain and the need to launch Operation Barborossa against FSU?
Thank you, I looked for the Newbie thread but didn't find any at first glance. Sorry about that.

It was aborted - that's why I wrote "planned". Why it really was aborted is a subject for some vivid discussions.... :lol: ...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^The Kriegsmarine was massively outnumbered by the Royal Navy. Event if the Luftwaffe had achieved complete air superiority over the channel, it would have been next to impossible for the Germans to land an invasion force without suffering unacceptable losses due to RN ships. The RN of course would have lost some ships to German U-boats and the Luftwaffe but considering that they were defending their homeland from a German invasion, I think they would have accepted the losses.
fredleander
BRFite -Trainee

Post by fredleander »

nachiket wrote:^^The Kriegsmarine was massively outnumbered by the Royal Navy. Event if the Luftwaffe had achieved complete air superiority over the channel, it would have been next to impossible for the Germans to land an invasion force without suffering unacceptable losses due to RN ships. The RN of course would have lost some ships to German U-boats and the Luftwaffe but considering that they were defending their homeland from a German invasion, I think they would have accepted the losses.
I would be happy to discuss the whole thing here even it it wasn't my intention, I have studied the subject for approx. 5 years. Have you studied it a lot...? The other nations occupied by the Germans were also defending their countries... :wink: ....

If you like to drop in on my website and see through the "chapter introductions" you will find the start text of all the chapters. Should give you an indication how my book tackles it. It's 320 packed pages.

http://www.fredleander.com
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Thanks, I'll check it out.
The other nations occupied by the Germans were also defending

their countries... :wink: ...
The other nations either weren't islands. The Germans did not have to battle their respective navies to occupy them. In any case the Royal navy was easily the most powerful one around in Europe at the time. Not to forget that the Kriegsmarine had already been mauled badly during the Norwegian campaign.

P.S.: The Luftwaffe's performance against sea targets during the Norwegian campaign wasn't exceptional either. So, like I said, even if they had air-superiority over the channel....
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

What is TFTA? I am unable to google TFTA and see a meaning that would fit the context of use on BR :-)
Suhas H
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Suhas H »

Hi all,

Newbie here, I actually first stumbled upon this site in the late nineties when I first got my Internet connection and as I am interested in military aircraft decided to do a search on the IAF and this was one of the first sites that came up. It was fascinating to read up on the aircraft the IAF had and all the history and wars.

After a while university and work came in the way and hadn't been able to get on here since the last two years, been lurking and still learning. Anyway enough of me chatting away, hope to contribute here and look forward to the discussions.

Suhas
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

I have a newbie question:
How can pakis be Tight A$$ed (TFTA) if they do daily GUBO?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AdityaM wrote:I have a newbie question:
How can pakis be Tight A$$ed (TFTA) if they do daily GUBO?
Are the all tall and fair in the first place? They are Pakis. They claim tight asses even after GUBO.
UBanerjee
BRFite

Post by UBanerjee »

Who is Prasun Sengupta?
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

UBanerjee wrote:Who is Prasun Sengupta?
a journalist from force magazine.
search in google for Prasun K. Sengupta
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

muktesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by muktesh »

I've a newbie question.
Can Tejas really supercruise??? :-? :-?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercruise
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

-deleted-
Last edited by Virupaksha on 21 Jun 2011 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

muktesh wrote:I've a newbie question.
Can Tejas really supercruise??? :-? :-?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercruise
Not in the Mk1 avatar at least. But it is possible that with a ~100KN engine plus better area ruling and a fuselage plug to improve aerodynamic performance, the Mk2 might supercruise. We'll just have to wait and see.