LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by chackojoseph »

^^^ Can you show the news?
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

Can't give you accurate link to any URL. Went through the logs of the forum and found an example of the wake discussion here

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &start=417

There were similar talks about the stores separation stuff too.... I just remember it sorry if I am not able to find the exact posts right now. It will take some digging and they dont allow me to carry my spade to my workplace. :)
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

There are two aspects in the article

1) Smokewinder: It was used in Aero india. Some other mag reported on 23 or 24 may that the wake penetration tests will be conducted. I have a latest publication from DRDO which says the same. IMO, this will be for FOC and full angle of attack will be tested.

2) Second is the onboard camera, which is used since long.

So, you might be mixing the stores separation with wake penetration.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

SaiK wrote:Must be desh made UFO /ot, but that traffic blocking is definitely something to take note of... I wonder why Rakesh bhai not named LCA to some hottie yet?
I though have named a hottie after LCA..... :D
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

An example of ASVS (31 Dec 2010) post

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/ ... o?tabId=13

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=2993
“Like any true patriot, I feel happy to be part of this project,” says Devadatta Maharana, who integrated the complex Airborne Separation Video System that captures the trajectory of bombs and drop tanks dropped from the aircraft. The special cameras mounted on Tejas capture 1,000 frames per second. Though it sounds simple, analysing separation of missiles, bombs or drop tank is crucial as any slight deviation in separation, at a very high speed, can prove disastrous for the aircraft.
Thanks
Sid
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

Another example (I dont know if I can put this link up here), this time of smokewinders and wake penetration testing. (13th Feb 2011)
The LSP-3 streaks into the sky. Pranjal’s mission is to test a new smoke winder--an under-wing pod that trails smoke. The device will help the NFTC test the Tejas’ reaction when it flies into a jet wake, a deadly 250-kmph blast of air emitted by a jet engine flying ahead.
http://www.indiandefence.com/forums/f7/ ... dex42.html

3rd post from the top.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same things here. If different please let me know if someother aspects of Wake penetration is being tested.

Thanks
Sid
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ROFL, You have not understood the article.

The Feb 2011 article you have mentioned
The LSP-3 streaks into the sky. Pranjal’s mission is to test a new smoke winder--an under-wing pod that trails smoke. The device will help the NFTC test the Tejas’ reaction when it flies into a jet wake, a deadly 250-kmph blast of air emitted by a jet engine flying ahead.
, is the same as the Aero India 2011, I mentioned. The smokewinders were installed and it was used for demonstration. See the bold part. The wake test "when it flies." The test has not happened till date. This is EF wake Penetration test. Read it to understand and compare it to LCA news for the tests.

ASVS : If you read the article again, I have said that it "also uses." I have given a list of things it was used for. This is not a new thing.
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

Thanks Chackoji......

I assumed that the wake testing was done around the Aero India time.. :(
I was hoping to see news about LSP-6 and NP1 today after your trailer that we would see news on LCA today...... was a little disappointed with the Wake penetration and ASVS news... :(

LSP-6 and NP1 when are the covers coming off......
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

^^^ With wake penetration tests background, I am preparing you for something. :)
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Marten, they have begun the FOC run very seriously. It also has become intensive. A lot of benchmarks have been crossed. Every flight has a milestone. What I am looking at is night trials, opening the entire flight envelope, flight with full avionics with radar etc. Wake penetration is among them. I am looking forward to that. Will keep you posted.

BTW, you have not mailed to me at frontierindia at gmail. I have something for you since you asked me first.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CJ, Please have this corrected:
Smokewinders on LCA Tejas are designated to be operational during wake penetration trials and demonstration flights. LCA had used Smokewinders for ariel aerial display during the recently concluded Aero India 2011. The smokewinders will be now used during the forthcoming wake penetration trials of tejas Tejas for flow visualization in flight. The integration of these smokewinders to Tejas comprised designing special adapters to carry in place of conventional missile launchers, modification to the stores management system for providing adequate electrical interface, ground integration checks prior to installation on aircraft, obtaining flight clearances notes before flight. Etc.

LCA program also uses airborne separation video system (ASVS) to test stores separation activities. Stores separation activity by nature is extremely flight safety critical and comprises jettisoning external drop tanks., Firing firing missiles and separation of bombs from all the hard points under different flight conditions. A lot of efforts have been made in terms of modelling through computational fluid dynamice dynamics (CFD) to theoretically demonstrate the safety of the parent aircraft. However, these models and theories needed flight validation in Tejas. These
model validtions validationswere done through an onboard ASVS system. ASVS was integrated on Tejas in order to generate flight test data for all the stores which were separated from tejas Tejasincluding 1000 lb MK-11 bombs, external drop tanks, practice bombs and close-combat missiles (R-73). This kind of system was conceptualized and integrated for the first time in this country to validate the CFD models. The system comprises MIL qualified high-speed digital cameras, central contrller controller to control these cameras, indigenously designed pod to carry the cameras on aircraft, indiginously indigenously designed camera, lens mounts and software for extracting and generating 6-DOF parameters for the separated stores. The effort required in integrating the entire system has performed to its full potential over multiple flights. The CFD peredictions predictions have been quite close to the data generated by ASVS thereby assising assessing the programme to achieve the targets set for operational clearances in terms of weapon integration.
Thanks, ramana
Last edited by ramana on 02 Jun 2011 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added more.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Thanks ramanna. Also corrected assising :)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Hi Chacko,

Really appreciate your efforts. But my honest opinion is that the manner in which the articles are written seem to indicate amateurishness and that takes away some of the "rutba" of your articles, and people on other forums dismiss it because of that. Am glad to see BRF members volunteer to proof read, spellcheck and assist you in writing your articles. Once the quality of your articles goes up, it won't be long before readership will go up as more and more people look to Frontier India for defence related news.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Chackoji,
I agree with Kartik. You are among the few Defence journalists who provide us with excellent Defence news coverage without any sensationalism. So, it would be a shame if your reports are disregarded because of a few silly mistakes. I hope you have realized that the most obvious spelling mistakes can be very easily corrected using a simple spellcheck ( which can be an online version or be inbuilt in your Word processor). Considering that you invest so much effort into your reports, it is not worth it to show laziness in doing a spell check which would only take a minute of your time. :-) Regarding the more subtle mistakes, it is heartening to see how many people are ready to proof read your articles. So, you have a lot of help there.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

some corrections to wording

LCA program also uses the airborne separation video system (ASVS) to test the stores separation activities. Stores separation activity is critical for flight safety and involves jettisoning external drop tanks, ...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yeah, chacko, at least have karan m, kartik, ramana, and few other go through semantics.. I wouldn't tell you anything about spell check anymore because you have umpteen tools on the net and microsoft products to help you with that. even you cut+past on BR full editor, it would underline in red for you.

2c/don't type like me or my BRo.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

V_Raman wrote:some corrections to wording

LCA program also uses the airborne separation video system (ASVS) to test the stores separation activities. Stores separation activity is critical for flight safety and involves jettisoning external drop tanks, ...
Personally I have stopped worrying about the non use of articles etc. English is gradually being Indianized and others had better get used to reading that rather than referring back to the tendency that I was brought up with - i.e. the need to look at her Magistry the Qyoon of Bilayat or BBC for "real" English. Spellings - need correction IMO - but I find that over the years the power of Microsoft has converted me from honour to honor, valour to valor. If I can accept Americanisms why not Indianisms?
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

It is funny that Raman has added a "the" in this instance, Indians in general have a propensity to use "the" indiscriminately, not just for universally singular instances.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Guys feedback taken. I really appreciate it. Expect better versions of the articles. I can't eternally justify spelling mistakes.
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

OT but sorry

Chackoji... while you are at it...

Any news about Sitara.... been waiting for news on that also. :(
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

VikB wrote:
SaiK wrote:Must be desh made UFO /ot, but that traffic blocking is definitely something to take note of... I wonder why Rakesh bhai not named LCA to some hottie yet?
I though have named a hottie after LCA..... :D
VikBinuddin...
Care to explain???

On another note... will be shooting an email to you about the stuff we discussed... been really stuck in this new job that hardly could think of anything else these past few days...
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

argh, grammar nazis !
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Blame Panini for the grammer streaK. However have you tried to read Latin? Total mess without articles or sentence structure so word meanings depend on context.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

I would second that shiv
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

shiv wrote:

Personally I have stopped worrying about the non use of articles etc. English is gradually being Indianized and others had better get used to reading that rather than referring back to the tendency that I was brought up with - i.e. the need to look at her Magistry the Qyoon of Bilayat or BBC for "real" English. Spellings - need correction IMO - but I find that over the years the power of Microsoft has converted me from honour to honor, valour to valor. If I can accept Americanisms why not Indianisms?
Shiv, totally OT, but if you set the language to "English(UK)" in Microsoft Word, then you can continue using honour and valour :)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Irrespective of what language an article is written in, English, Pinglish or Inglish, it has to convey the proper meaning and not make it hell to read the article. Specially when there is free assistance.

Shiv ji,

You can set the default dictionary, in MS Word, to UK English and you should not have the problem.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

And here i was thinking that this is the LCA thread... :|
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Gurneesh wrote:And here i was thinking that this is the LCA thread... :|
It is. Learn Chaste Angrezi :((
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I think it is fair to say that we've been starved of significant updates on the LCA, LCA trainer, or naval LCA for some time. The focus on grammar and spelling was a result of the lack of information on any significant progress. No offence, Chacko ji, but I think this is true. No one would've cared if missile was spelt mijjile had a R-73 (or R-77 :) ) mijjile been fired from a LCA to the detriment of the intended target.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

NRao wrote:Irrespective of what language an article is written in, English, Pinglish or Inglish, it has to convey the proper meaning and not make it hell to read the article. Specially when there is free assistance.

Shiv ji,

You can set the default dictionary, in MS Word, to UK English and you should not have the problem.
My reply here
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 6#p1102686
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Here is my thought on it. My eye doctor once told me that an eye sight becomes less because eye gets lazy. So, if I don't excercise my spellings, it will follow the eye sight. My friend tells me that she has same problem because she writes directly into the news box. Ideally, it has to be written on a piece of paper, then transfered. The spell checks make you lazy. So make it a point to keep writing on a paper to not to forget the usages. I am taking that advice. Logically, all my reports will come late, unless it is time critical like news. I have pushed back my daily dose of reports. And someone spoke of free help, let me tell you only one person has applied. I gave him the Helina job. Now he understands why things are going wrong.
Kanishka
BRFite

Post by Kanishka »

LCA (Tejas), J-10 and JF-17 airshow performance comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4W-goLSIo

Enjoy!
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

chackojoseph wrote:Here is my thought on it. My eye doctor once told me that an eye sight becomes less because eye gets lazy. So, if I don't excercise my spellings, it will follow the eye sight. My friend tells me that she has same problem because she writes directly into the news box. Ideally, it has to be written on a piece of paper, then transfered. The spell checks make you lazy. So make it a point to keep writing on a paper to not to forget the usages. I am taking that advice. Logically, all my reports will come late, unless it is time critical like news. I have pushed back my daily dose of reports. And someone spoke of free help, let me tell you only one person has applied. I gave him the Helina job. Now he understands why things are going wrong.
Chacko,

Am willing to volunteer. Please let me know and we can touch base with each other.

Cheers.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

chackojoseph wrote:Here is my thought on it. My eye doctor once told me that an eye sight becomes less because eye gets lazy. So, if I don't excercise my spellings, it will follow the eye sight. My friend tells me that she has same problem because she writes directly into the news box. Ideally, it has to be written on a piece of paper, then transfered. The spell checks make you lazy. So make it a point to keep writing on a paper to not to forget the usages. I am taking that advice. Logically, all my reports will come late, unless it is time critical like news. I have pushed back my daily dose of reports. And someone spoke of free help, let me tell you only one person has applied. I gave him the Helina job. Now he understands why things are going wrong.
chacko, I can help you as well. whats your email id ?
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

CJ

I am unable to PM you. Could you please PM me or email me at rahulm.publisher at gmale (please use correct spelling for gmale).

Maybe, I can help.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Kartik,

frontierindia at gmail.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Sorry about the OT..
rahulmji,
are you working in the publishing industry??? OR are you a publisher yourself???
Ravishankar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ravishankar »

I can help too. I will send a mail to you.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

dhone rahulm? one a breaper(jackal), and the other a publisher(hyde)... hey, everybody is OTying.. this is my share.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Hmm. With Ashley Tellis R&D (rhona & dhona) article on the elimination of the F-16 and F-18 in the MRCA flyoff and how it was based purely on aerodynamic performance and not on cost and other sensor/weapon package considerations (I wonder even if they were included if the the F-16/18 would win against the Mig35 and Gripen NG) , if that is the kind of performance that the IAF is looking for in their fighter platforms, the IAF is in all probability expecting the LCA to be at such levels too if not better in terms of basic airframe maneuverability and handling.

That MKII is going to be an absolute demon I think in maneuverability and A2A in general and possibly the most agile fighter in the sky when it enters service. Perfect for air defense and escort support to handle Pakiland and near Chinese airspace while the MRCA and the Su-30s can do expeditionary /longer range ops.