Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by krishnan »

Even in TN, lots of colleges have started dropping it
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

Looks like employers in India prefering CS/EEE grads over IT? The IT demand has not gone away here in massa.. The industry has matured and is maturing but there is still a need in IT in the US and I assume in India for IT development. This demand is supplied mostly by contractors on H1 etc.. Perhaps this was over capacity build up in India and this is a correction.. Anyone else care to comment?
m_nair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m_nair »

What i have noticed is that the market for IT folks is pretty good but most of them are only interested in USC or GC holders. I noticed quite few of my onshore folks have hard time getting their H1s renewed. A recent development is that even L1 holders find it difficult to get their visas renewed.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I guess the contractors working on govt projects or defence projs prefer or need USC/GC to avoid hassles and stroke the right political feathers.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

lot of companies in bay area moved away from hiring H1. All new hire i have seen are either USC or GC.
anyone who is working on defence proj needs to have USC. They wont allow GC or h1.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Infosys job ad automatically rejected older workers

These sorts of ads are common in India, so this must be one area that Infosys's cultural adjustment programs did not cover.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Any news from India about Gmail Motion:
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Actually some one has actually been able to program Kinect/PC/Gmail to do the above!
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

PwC in $25.5 mln settlement over Satyam audit
PricewaterhouseCoopers affiliates agreed to pay $25.5 million to former Satyam Computer Services Ltd investors to settle U.S. litigation over the audit of the Indian outsourcing company.

The settlement came four weeks after PwC agreed to pay a record $7.5 million U.S. penalty over its auditing work for Satyam.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

ranjbe
BRFite

Post by ranjbe »

Economist view on the future of the three big Indian IT firms; TCS, InfoSys, Wipro.
Indian IT firms
Another giant leap
http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpet ... n-it-firms
What might the next stage of the industry look like? Most firms want to build their presence in emerging markets. Today they usually serve the local operations of multinationals. Tomorrow, with luck and effort, they may win the business of big companies based in countries such as Brazil and China. With existing Western customers, however, the urge of all three of the big Indian IT firms is to embed themselves deeper in the client – providing not just a laundry list of specific services at a low cost, but becoming a more integral part of how they run their business.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^For all the glorification of our Eye-Tea sector, WTH are our products? Where is our Aa-randee?? Where is our brand equity? Where are our CE offerings?? Which software is made in India and used by Mango Joe?? Right now all we are is a bunch of glorified chaprasis polishing other people's warez. All these kaptans of industry couldn't do in so many years, what a 25 year old has done (Notion Ink) albeit in a slightly flawed way.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Raja Bose wrote:For all the glorification of our Eye-Tea sector, WTH are our products? Where is our Aa-randee?? Where is our brand equity? ....Which software is made in India and used by Mango Joe??
+1. The only software "product" which has got some name may be Finnacle (by the most reputed co.) and similar banking softwares developed by a few companies. Infact, then the better made softwares would be from a few organisations like CRIS (the Railway Reservation system etc. etc.).

In most of the IT Majors (and colonels and brigadiers), the jobs are very mundane. Most of them are support & enhancement jobs, which does not require any R&D. The original developers would pass over enough knowledge to do the support and that is it. In many cases I have seen that such jobs requires a decent education (10+ is okay), with some good English comprehending skills. Some things which I have observed
  • "Technical Architects" etc. roaming around, which nothing much to architect. In most cases all this would have been done abroad, and would be shared with the team doing support.
  • And in rare cases of development/green field implementations coming in our technical architects messing it up, thanks to bad planning, research etc.
  • "Senior Consultants" forced to get into some roles, which they may not be very adept in playing. Some of them have very bad language/communication problems.
  • B.Sc graudates etc. getting recruited, and able to perform in an equally good manner when compared to B.Tech/BE. Plus, most of these graduates do not land up with a chip on their shoulders.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

^^

There are complex factors involved when you talk of desi IT cos not doing anything on product development front.

To be clear, as impressed upon by by Raja Bose, we are talking of consumer market, not necessarily application/product targetted towards the enterprise market (that of course is important).

It is not really worthwhile blaming the desi IT cos. There is a need for a strong culture of innovation and healthy curiosity among the IT manpower in India (excluding few dedicated people).

People job hopping with salary figure only motive in their lives neither makes for committed product development team nor does it any easier for product line managers to plan for product innovations.

Product development requires willpower and patience. And you don't achieve that by culling the herd in name of billability. No software engineer however bright and committed will be able to deliver the goods if certain degree of job stability is not gauranteed.

Is Indian market matured enough? What percentage of consumers (we are not talking of enterprises) are willing to pay for a software? S/W considered a free addone with the laptop that you bought last week.

What about developer interest and support system for interested people?

Interest is a good motivation. I used to submit patches for an open source project. I no longer find it possible due to change of job function (management) and familiy responsibilities (eats up entire weekend). Having said, I don't find any among the younger lot interested in these stuff.

What's surprising however is that the desi IT cos has equally pathetic attitude enterprise application development as well.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

meantime like the giant sand droid machine in transformers2, TCS has crossed 2 lakh employees and $8 bil in revenue.

a decade ago the turnover of entire indian IT < $10b per my recollections of old threads.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Revenues per employee is so low...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well china is a manufacturing superpower and employs millions in low end manufacturing - a job, food, a bed, some healthcare, water n power.

we are using the same model in IT.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

SRoy wrote:People job hopping with salary figure only motive in their lives neither makes for committed product development team nor does it any easier for product line managers to plan for product innovations.
On the same note. The sheer number of fakes coming into the system is mind boggling :eek:. One body shopper giving pretty much the same resume, with only names of the candidates changed. Then body shoppers who have "experience letter for money" schemes etc. Some companies are very strict on background verification, and chaps who are already recruited are getting thrown out because of faking. I feel you do have a point, that IT is becoming a cash cow. Folks rather than liking the job, are just getting into it for the current better pay it provides.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Singha wrote:meantime like the giant sand droid machine in transformers2, TCS has crossed 2 lakh employees and $8 bil in revenue.

a decade ago the turnover of entire indian IT < $10b per my recollections of old threads.
Infosys does $6B with 1.2 lakh employees

See the difference

This is just the beginning the entire Indian IT industry should have atleast $100-$200 B out of $1.2T spend worldwide.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Sachin wrote: On the same note. The sheer number of fakes coming into the system is mind boggling :eek:. One body shopper giving pretty much the same resume, with only names of the candidates changed. Then body shoppers who have "experience letter for money" schemes etc. Some companies are very strict on background verification, and chaps who are already recruited are getting thrown out because of faking. I feel you do have a point, that IT is becoming a cash cow. Folks rather than liking the job, are just getting into it for the current better pay it provides.
Put the fear of Gawd into the body shopper. Send them a warning letter saying that if they don't improve their standards, your company is going to find another more honest one to work with. That's what we did with one of ours.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Economy: News and Discussion (Apr 1 2011)

Post by kmkraoind »

India’s $35 Sakshat Tablet Finally Arrives, Offered for $49
India’s $35 Sakshat tablet is finally getting ready to ship at a slightly higher price of $49. The oft-delayed Android table is set to ship 10,000 seven-inch units to IIT-Rajasthan by the end of June, while an additional 90,000 units may ship soon after with the goverment covering half the cost, dropping them to just $25.

Features on the device are comparable to other Android tablets including 2GB RAM, front-facing camera and a 32GB hard drive, however the unit also features a relatively cheap construction which pushes down the cost.

The Sakshat has been in development for several years and was originally scrapped when India’s government decided the units were not up to par with computing standards which means the new gadgets are of better quality with only a slightly higher price point.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

India's $35 tablet launching this month.

After hitting the roadblock for over six months, the Indian government backed ambitious low-cost tablet project is finally set to take off.

According to latest media reports, the low-cost $35 tablet codenamed 'Sakshat' is expected to launch by the end of this month.

The country's answer to the $100 laptops developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will be powered by Linux OS and is made by HCL Technologies.

As for the specs, the 7-inch touchscreen tablet will come with inbuilt keyboard, video conferencing facility, multimedia content, Wi-Fi, USB port, 32GB hard drive and 2GB RAM. The tablet will support Open Office, SciLab and Internet browsing.

According to reports, government has decided that 10,000 Sakshat tablets will be delivered to IIT Rajasthan in late June. Also, over the next four months more than 90,000 tablet units will be ready for launch and will come at a price of Rs 2,200.

Reports claim that the government later plans to further subsidise the cost by 50 per cent which means the device may cost somewhere around Rs 1,100.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

why dont they put android on it and avail of both the free fast moving OS and 1000s of crowdsourced apps? it has wifi, so accessing the android mktplace should be simple. such lowcost panda type tablet HW is seen in dozens in east asian CE fairs, so unless they lipstick it with android its not different from say a "Olive" tablet but severely limited by its modest sw range.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Singha wrote:why dont they put android on it and avail of both the free fast moving OS and 1000s of crowdsourced apps? it has wifi, so accessing the android mktplace should be simple. such lowcost panda type tablet HW is seen in dozens in east asian CE fairs, so unless they lipstick it with android its not different from say a "Olive" tablet but severely limited by its modest sw range.
It uses Android. That's just DDM calling it linux based on the kernel.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote:why dont they put android on it and avail of both the free fast moving OS and 1000s of crowdsourced apps? it has wifi, so accessing the android mktplace should be simple. such lowcost panda type tablet HW is seen in dozens in east asian CE fairs, so unless they lipstick it with android its not different from say a "Olive" tablet but severely limited by its modest sw range.
It is Android but I am not sure G-chacha will allow it access to the marketplace. I would love to see the BOM on this one coz it looks like it is being sold below cost (which is not a bad thing provided it reaches the needy and not some neta's fat kids).
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

hi, I got a situation and I don't know whether this is the correct thread to post it.
I'm planning to use my Vonage router(V-portal) when I'm in Oman. But I found that the 5060 data port is blocked by most of the ISPs over there. I recall reading a post,on some forum, couple of years ago by a person who used a particular type of router with his Vonage telephone adapter in some ME country. I not aware how it works but vaguely remember some words that guy used like proxy server, masking etc. I'm not familiar with networking terms hence, my simple request to gentlemen based in ME : If you have come across such a router, please do send me the details at bob(dot)aero(at)gemale(dot)com
armenon
BRFite

Post by armenon »

Bob,

Check mail.

Edit: Ask your tech related queries in IT and Linux thread under General Discussions.

Cheers
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

thanks for the reply. I'll try out the second option. Infact I had attempted something similar to it, for a different purpose.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A friend of mine tells me (source- headhunter) that there were ~60,000 R2Is in IT industry last year (2010) and the number already crossed 50,000 in this year till June. :eek:

This is more than the entire H1B quota for India.

Looks like Massa is getting freshers and less-experienced abduls while losing more experienced and people with +ve bank balances to India.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

could be true. the bulk of indians there entering the workforce are MS degree passouts
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Yes, the Masters degree holders are eleigible for OPT's. These passouts are aggresively persued by the consulting companies (resume pusher's) "trained", their resumes are heavily padded with fake experience (5 - 8 Yrs exp) and then placed.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there are some who also are directly recruited by cos, incl the large MNC product co types...being on h1, they are kept on a short leash by tough desi managers who make it seem not working long hours means they are slipping up.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

RamaY wrote:Looks like Massa is getting freshers and less-experienced abduls while losing more experienced and people with +ve bank balances to India.
There are some experienced returnees, but I've noticed that a lot of new arrivals are going back to India after their MS or after a few (<5) years. What seems to be happening is that the lack of education options in India means that a flood of Indians are coming over for MS programs, but the contract work that used to be able to absorb this inflow has increasingly dried up over the last few years, as IT offshoring has increased. Even what domestic outsourcing remains has been captured by low priced Indian vendors. So the choice facing this crowd is to fight it out for many years in the US and try to get into the $150,000-200,000/year bracket, or accept an Indian job with better standard of living than they remember leaving India.
Last edited by vera_k on 02 Jul 2011 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Singha wrote:there are some who also are directly recruited by cos, incl the large MNC product co types...being on h1, they are kept on a short leash by tough desi managers who make it seem not working long hours means they are slipping up.
Not sure being on H1 has anything to do with this. Working long hours is a trait peculiar to the Indian IT industry. Almost everyone I speak to here in India leaves for work at 8, and returns home at 9 or even later. If someone is used to this punishing schedule, its natural they'll keep it up until they get used to the work ethic in the US.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

er sorry sir, but a huge % of managers in SJC MNC cos are desi (or chini) and they drive their workers quite hard in terms of both office hours, very little work from home allowed, having to work at night, attending calls at night etc. the "US work ethic" atleast in a good segment of IT is the desi work ethic + the brutal "startup hours" enforced in SJC. I am referring to bay area only, as my visibility into other parts of US and other sectors is not there.

young people in india do not have the cross of H1 (and GC processing) hanging on their head to affect job mobility.

the young MS grads being sucked into the meat grinder mostly left for MS right after BE here (no work exp in india) or barely spent 2 yrs before departing. so its not that they are used to it, its what they get when they enter the industry.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

To be honest, most of the Indians as well as Americans on my team work fairly long hours. But I put it down to them being single without much to do. It is not as if they are asked to be in the office at all hours.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in india too its the same - with the additional rider that the kind of apts singles can afford is not as good as the kind that singles in US can afford, and they certainly cannot afford to start off with a corolla/civic as in the US, neither they can afford a large screen TV and loads of alcohol that a $70-75,000 starting sal can over there. and there are no easy state parks to disappear hiking into. unless one has a gf 'with benefits' life for a mujahid batchelor is not that interesting for most.

so the lure of the swank office is even greater - AC, good seating, friends, opportunity to hang out with attractive pyt's might come up, canteen, cricket , volleyball and TT matches, fast internet, large screen TV in common areas, free gym, juice counter .... its not that people work for all the hours spent in office here, a good part goes in such things...which should not be translated to mean involuntary work pressure... :) ofcourse some people do slog a lot to prove themselves and pataofy the managerial classes for a promotion. sometimes the work is interesting and people dont mind.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Go to work @8am and return at 9pm? :-? I go to work ~@11am and return ~@7:30pm - on the days I don't work from home. Most of the thinking work is anyways done while pondering in pakistan.
Singha wrote:there are some who also are directly recruited by cos, incl the large MNC product co types...being on h1, they are kept on a short leash by tough desi managers who make it seem not working long hours means they are slipping up.
H1 is a recipe for abuse - companies know very well that the poor abdul is dependent on the job for his ability to stay and squeeze that to the maximum. Best policy is try and get an EB-1 GC (either thru company bahadur or worst case self-sponsor and file yourself) asap.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think the whole GC thing is a well designed scam to ensure stability of workers in american cos and keep wages lower than they would be if lakhs more desis and chinis has free mobility. the cos want it slow to ensure people are locked in and cannot even get promoted (no change of job role for duration of filing) ...and managers can always say crap and put some fear in them, and the govt is anyways happy not to waste resources speeding it up - they get the same income tax, GC holders have more rights and can cause more trouble - so they depute probably their worst and slowest set of workers to it :)

there is always the vague anxiety in h1 and gc filed status - just read the postings in murty.com and lots of people are at any time in some sort of crap situation. even in my h1 days there was always something going on either with mine or wife's passport - some stamping to be done, some renewal, some filing...never really in the clear.

overall, best thing is India develop rapidly and enough so all can be absorbed locally. every other country will only seek to exploit in subtle ways - some more softly some harshly.

other than periodic noises GOI has has no success in 'convincing' the GOTUS that our PF system is same as their SS and the payments made by H1 workers who stay(ed) less than 40 qtrs be refunded. I lost $12,000 or such to that scam. these things will never happen unless we seriously start playing hardball with massa on multiple fronts.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

that being said, we should formalize and implement a visa system in which highly educated people from arab countries, nepal, bhutan, bangladesh, maldives and sri lanka can more easily come over and work in India (something like 10 yr TN visa) . likewise streamline the student visa process and attract more foreign students to our good schools.

trade and employment opportunity is what builds co-prosperity spheres.