Indian Armed Forces Academies

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

As regards the changes in promotion policy. Again, my feeling is that there was a time and day when a Major was a big man. The more that the government speeds up promotions, the more it reduces the value of field grade officers.

Now in my opinion, a much more meaningful thing to do would have been to increase the pay scales of Field grade officers, and upgrade them vis a vis the civil services, while leaving the time in grade as is. I feel that the CO of a battallion should have been left as Lt. Col. as well. This would have attended to the age problem. The pyramidical structure of the military should not have been harmed, because as we see in the civil services, more secretaries than probationers means that something is going awry.

This latest promotion policy in my opinion just reduces the middle grade officers posts to a sort of a "Waiting zone" where officers spend a little bit of time while hanging on to pick up the next rank, yet not learning the nitty gritty of their trade.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Ray and Puar sir,
I am in complete agreement with most of the Selection Grade Colonels who want the Time Scale ones not to wear the collor lipsticks. I mean, there should be some differentiation between the two.
Secondly, Puar sir, regarding the uniform and its changes, i've noticed that most senior officers, ie Lt Col and above, prefer wearing plain uniforms, as in simple camos and if they had a choice, whether in peace or not. Its the younger lot, YOs etc who are in love with their Blue Patrols, SDs, etc. This is a very general observation though.
The latest i've heard from a Maratha YO is that the new Chief is bringing in some changes to the MLI uniform. I guess the Pouch Belt has already been introduced (with the Chief himself wearing it, though i've yet to see any other Maratha Officer wearing it) and secondly, the shoulder titles. Now the shoulder titles on a black backing of velvet reads : "MARATHA LI" (with their regtl crest), Soon the same title will read only MARATHA and the 'LI' part will be expanded, "LIGHT INFANTRY" and will be placed on the shoulders exactly like "COMMANDO" for Para Cdos and "THE GUARDS" for Guardsmen. I think this change is totally unnecessary. Firstly, the regt WAS Light Infantry, not anymore and now it has the exact role of any other Inf Regt. "Light Infantry" is just a title. Does this mean that every new chief coming in now changes his Regtl uniform to look more appealing and flashy???
Your thoughts on all this sir(s)...
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

I think many senior officers like to take the chance some small changes that they wished were in action when they were younger to their regimental uniform.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Any history behind wearing of pouch belt by Maratha LI given?

Or is the Infantry wanting to become the Armoured Corps?

Puar,

Have you seen the Monkey jacket they wore as the summer mess dress? What do you think about that in comparison to the white patrol?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

I believe many infantry regiments wear the pouch belt.. although I may well be incorrect. Certainly the Garhwal rifles do, and have done for some time.

RayC im afraid I dont know very much about the Maratha LI, if the monkey jacket you are referring to is specific to them. I have seen the white patrols, and I feel like white may not perhaps be the best choice of colour for the same. Of course there may be historical reasons for the choice.

I think the prussian blue of the artillery is actually far more attractive. In the 1950s an indianised sort of uniform seemed to have appeared which seems quite smart, at least in pictures. I refer to something of this sort...

shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Ray sir, as far as i know all Rifle Regiments were the pouch belt. The Mech Inf also wears one, but they have been wearing it for a long time now. Guess they needed an identity of their own.
Regarding the White Patrols, they have been discontinued for some years now. They had planned to discontinue the Blue Patrols too, but it still remains. Is the 'Monkey Jacket' the same as the 'Dinner Jacket' what Naval Officers wear.
As of what i know, uniforms in use apart from the usual summer OGs and camos are the SDs, Blue Patrols/Green Patrol (In case of a Rifle Regt) and 6B (Kamar Band). Ive heard that soon the Angolas are going to be discontinued too.
I don't think the new MLI pouch belt has any historical significance otherwise it would have been introduced long ago.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

I dont understand.. if all the patrols are being discontinued, what are they to be replaced with? What is the rationale behind the discontinuation?

I have indeed heard that the angola shirts are to be discontinued. I again see no reason whatsoever for why this should be so.
Guru
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Guru »

In the Infantry only Rifle Regts are entitled to use Pouch Belts.

I feel that unless there is a historical precedence, it is quite odd to add items which are in vogue for other Regts which they use for historical reasons.

Monkey jacket was the summer Mess dress till about 1963. It was a small coat which had a clip at the collar and it sort of opened up like an inverted V. Cummerbands were worn with the mess cap and minature medals. Quite natty.

I am not aware that the Blue/ Green Patrol has been declared obsolete or if the White Patrol has seen its day.

Angola shirt has been going away for a long time. The situation is like Going, Going but the Gone is always elusive.

Another good dress has become obsolete is the Serge Battle Dress. I used my father's in Kargil. More cpmfprtable than the issued parkas.

I don't know why the first thing a new joe does is change the dress. I wish they applied themselves to rethinking concepts and techniques of warfighting instead to keep in touch with the contemporary strategic situation. Oh yes, they do - with old wine in new bottles!

Maybe I am being a bit crotchety.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Guru sir, couldnt agree with you more.
You referred to using your father's Serge Battle Dress in Kargil. So are you a fauji? Serving/Retd?
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

At this rate very soon MLI will wear Gorkha Hats. :lol:
Guru
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Guru »

No, I am not fauji.

I had gone there along with a friend to just have a look.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

NCC to set up shooting clubs
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, April 26
To tap talent and encourage potential shooters, the National Cadet Corps is setting up shooting clubs for its cadets across the country. The matter is expected to be deliberated by the concerned Parliament consultative committee early next month.

Deputy Director-General, Brig D S Dhillon, told reporters here today that the NCC Directorate- General in New Delhi had forwarded the proposal to the Parliamentary committee and it was expected to be taken up for consideration when it met on May 3-4. The matter was required to be sent to the committee for ratification and budgetary sanction, he added.

Brigadier Dhillon said the proposal envisioned clubs to be equipped with a range of imported high grade sporting weapons, including rifles, pistols and shotguns for skit shooting.

"The move is aimed at tapping talent and produce shooters for participating at the national and international level," he said. "We already have instructors, ranges and other infrastructual amenities available with us, he added. The project envisioned the clubs at the level of Group Headquarters. This implied that there could be more than one club in a state.

The NCC is also considering constructing underground short ranges for firing .22 rifles. "There is hardly any land available for setting up firing ranges," he said. "Since we are now switching over to .22 rifles for normal firing practice, we feel that underground ranges in basements would be sufficient," he added. These ranges will be set up in institutions which have NCC or other places where area is available. Shooting will be done from a distance of 25 metres.

A study done by him revealed while the NCC has a large variety of weapons, including 7.62 mm rifles, .303 rifles, pistols, sten guns and mortars, these are hardly used. In fact, just about one-third of the ammunition sanction to the NCC gets expended every year, resulting in huge stocks piling up.

"We are now doing away with most of these weapons as these are not required. Only 10 per cent of the existing holdings of these weapons would be retained at Group Headquarters for use during attachment training with the regular forces," he said.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Combined defence exams on 18 Sept
NT Bureau
Chennai, Apr 28:

The combined defence services examination will be held on 18 September. The applications are being issued by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).

According to an official press release, the examination is held for candidates seeking admissions to Indian Military Academy, Officer's Training Academy, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy.

Further details regarding the eligibility conditions, syllabus and scheme of the examination, centres of examination, guidelines for filling up application form had been published in the Employment News / Rozgar Samachar dated 23 April, the release said.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

"Know Your Army" has now moved on to Bangalore. The exhibition starts from tomorrow; Friday,
6th May to Sunday, 8th May. The timings are from 1000Hrs to 1830Hrs. Hope it's good. The exhibition is at the Manekshaw Parade Ground, opposite the RSI and adjacent to MG Rd, the heart of the city.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Hey ppl, i'm leavin for SSB. Reporting on 16th. I'll come back and give a detailed de-brief. Esp for those going in the Absentee batch.
Take Care n God Speed.
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

Hey Shek,
Best of Luck Buddy!
Just Do it!
1.Stay Calm and don't try to be extraordinary.
2.Concentrate on GT and CT
Rest is upto the GTO...!! :D
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

shek wrote:Hey ppl, i'm leavin for SSB. Reporting on 16th. I'll come back and give a detailed de-brief. Esp for those going in the Absentee batch.
Take Care n God Speed.
Good Luck Shek,

Enjoy your experience. I enjoyed my time...
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Hey Shek, best of luck!
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Hi guys,

I also gave my SSB for 114 NDA course this January. My centre was 2 AFSB Mysore. Those 6 days were probably the best time I have had. I was able to clear the SSB and also medicals.

The best part was the new PABT machine that have been installed at AFSB. As of now they were on experimental stage, but we were tested on them, as well as the old ones. The OIR tests have also been changed.

Now the machine was a like a real fighter's cockpit with better stick and rudder control, the tests were much tougher and were designed to not only check reflexes but also the ability to process information while controlling the aircraft. The OIR and INS-B was conducted on LCD screens, one for each candidate. This eliminates the need for pre-exam briefing as it is packaged in the tests itself. These tests are really hard.

Anyways, can somebody tell me when final merit list for NDA comes out and what are the chances ?
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Dhruv wrote:Hi guys,

I also gave my SSB for 114 NDA course this January. My centre was 2 AFSB Mysore. Those 6 days were probably the best time I have had. I was able to clear the SSB and also medicals.

The best part was the new PABT machine that have been installed at AFSB. As of now they were on experimental stage, but we were tested on them, as well as the old ones. The OIR tests have also been changed.

Now the machine was a like a real fighter's cockpit with better stick and rudder control, the tests were much tougher and were designed to not only check reflexes but also the ability to process information while controlling the aircraft. The OIR and INS-B was conducted on LCD screens, one for each candidate. This eliminates the need for pre-exam briefing as it is packaged in the tests itself. These tests are really hard.

Anyways, can somebody tell me when final merit list for NDA comes out and what are the chances ?
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your wishes!! really need it. I'm in Allahabad now. tomorrow is my reporting. Am here 2 days early! Staying in the mess.
Dhruv, congo on clearing your SSB. Don't worry about the merit list. It will come out on it's own time. Be rest assured you will clear. There will be many who back out last minute, either because they've got into something better or they gave it just for competition sake. If by chance you don't clear, don't be disheartened, it's not the end of the world. join the Air Force Academy after finishing college through CDS or NCC entry, it's much much better. Think about it, anyway, all the best, keep in touch. There are many of my juniors who are my school types in NDA. Let me know once you join.
God Speed.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

All the best Ben. :)
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

All the best to both of you!

Misc Ques: Is the "Pilot Officer" rank allotted to cadets in the academy?
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

I think its Flight Cadet rank that is given in AFA. And in NDA, u r just Cadet. My friend in AFA writes Flt Cdt in front of his name.

Thanx Shek. Not many days of wait left for me, merit list is said to be out by first week of June. I had given NDA-1 2005 too, so I might make it in that too, for 115 course. I had 4 attempts (lucky me), and it took me 3 attempts to sort out the NDA written, which I consider tougher than CDSE. I always felt SSB was the easy part of recruitment, written was the main hurdle. Not just clearing it, but because it is a major player in the final list. A friend of mine in IMA cleared NDA and SSB, but could not make it to the final merit list. He later went through Dhakka.

I have a question for you guys - NDA has a strength of around 335 per course, but in POP, it is always reported that lesser number of cadets passed out, somewhere around 250. My friend in IMA tells his course has 250 seats, but only 198 are filled. What is the reason ? If the seats aren't full, how come there is so much competition for selection, so much that people don't even get selected after clearing all the tests. Or is the drop-out rate and kick-out rate too high.

Please tell me how squadrons and educational degrees are allotted upon joining NDA. And how tough is training in first semester ?
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Dhruv: Don't under-rate SSB. I made it throught on 3rd attempt :roll:. Of course not to say you could'nt make it on first try.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Arun,

I am not underrating SSB. I know how tough it is. And the selection rate says it all, only some 10 get selected out of a batch. I have seen figure drop even to 2 in a batch in Allahbad. The toughness is well realised when they announce screening and final results - nobody is sure of a place. But fact still remains that unless you do well in the written, your name will not be on merit list. As for my third attempt, it was the written. This was the first time I went to SSB. It was just my opinion that for me, compared to written, SSB was easier. But thats just for me, most people find written to be a piece of cake in NDA.
sagz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sagz »

Dhruv wrote:Hi guys,

Hey Dhruv,
how many screens did they have? did they conduct OIR and INS-B for all the guys simultaneously? :?:
I was with No2 AFSB last Feb, CDS entry :D
all the best for ur merit list!
sagz
BRFite -Trainee

Air Force Ground duty for MBAs

Post by sagz »

Hey can anyone tell me if the airforce takes in MBAs for ground duties?
what are the age limits? Will be completing my MBA in 2006.
-
Sagz
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Sagz,

First we were given the tests with traditional booklets for INS-B and OIR. Fairly easy. PABT is also very easy on those basic machines and there are a few loopholes one can exploit.

Then we had new tests on experimental basis.

New Tests - Around 25 LCD screens were there, and just 2 new PABT machines. We were being monitored by 2 civilians, i think they were engineers. OIR is now called Cognitive Test. It spans a whole 1 hour. It has parts like basic maths to advanced image perception tests on static and moving figures. Quite hard to explain them. They are damn tough.

INS-B remains the same, but one major difference. Due to new LCD screens, you can easily read the dials. PABT now has some 12 tests continously. The throttle has been deleted from the machine. These tests too are not easy. A major player here is exhaustion, as these tests are long.

I hope these new innovative techniques will get IAF the best boys out there.
pegasus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pegasus »

congrats DHRUV for ur success.

do u have any info on whether those who have cleared PABT earlier on old machines will again have to appear for the same on new ones? :?:
pegasus
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Air Force Ground duty for MBAs

Post by pegasus »

sagz wrote:Hey can anyone tell me if the airforce takes in MBAs for ground duties?
what are the age limits? Will be completing my MBA in 2006.
-
Sagz

Here r the required qualifications for GROUND DUTY OFFICERS BRANCH

BRANCH- ADMINISTRATION,LOGISTCS
QUALIFICATIONS-MBA or PGDBA frm AICTE approved INSTs.with 60%marks,GRADUATES or PGs with 60% or above marks.
AGE LIMITS- 20 to 23 yrs. for GRADUATES
20 to 25 yrs. for POST GRADUATES
20 TO 26 yrs. for LAW GRADUATES(3 yrs. course)
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

pegasus wrote:congrats DHRUV for ur success.

do u have any info on whether those who have cleared PABT earlier on old machines will again have to appear for the same on new ones? :?:
Since PABT is a "once in a lifetime" test, you cannot administer it again.
But it should be conducted just to see how they fare in these tests.

I remember what the wingo told us there "any donkey can fly a jet, but we want u up there alone in 6 hours flat."
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Dhruv wrote:I am not underrating SSB. I know how tough it is. And the selection rate says it all, only some 10 get selected out of a batch. I have seen figure drop even to 2 in a batch in Allahbad.
Dhruv ,

Congrats on making it thru.

The best decision you made is to try to enter at the NDA level than at the CDS level. The rejections at CDS level are much much higher. There we are talking about one guy in forty getting selected, and sometimes, no one at all!.

I remember in the older pabt, there was a written test of reading instruments and plane attitudees. There was the drum test, in which the purpose was to keep a pin following a path of dots on a rotating drum. and finally I remember the cockpit has the stick and rudder pedals and the aspirants have to keep a dot within a box on a screen using those. There was also a throttle and a firing button.. this memory is from 1991 :P

Things must have really changed

Jagan
pegasus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pegasus »

sagz u can also go in for EDUCATION BRANCH of GDOB with an MBA or PGDBA degree frm AICTE approved inst. if u secure 60% or more marks.
Age limit is 20-25 yrs. at the time of commencement of training.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Thanx Jagan,

You are right that CDSE drop rate is higher, even the seats are less. And obviously going through NDA makes you tough, so you can handle the stress at AFA, which can unnerve anyone. I don't know why but many service people have said that Direct Entry makes a better choice.

Your memory serves you right. But unfortunately, changes have been made only now.

Test of reading dials and plane attitude is called INS-B (Instrument Battery) Test. It is still there. The cockpit test (if you can call it a cockpit) is still there - keep the ball in the box thing. And instead of Drum Test, another test is taken on the cockpit, balls fall from the top in random order, you have collect maximum. This tests your horizontal control on the stick. Thats it !!!

New machine is a true cockpit with an LCA style canopy (even the paint scheme and lines are similar, which is understandable as this test comes from DRDO). You have to climb a ladder to get in (that itself gets you going). The stick is now very ergonomic and has one trigger, 3 finger buttons and 1 thumb button. There is a series of tests, which can give you a bad headache - ranging from stick control in both axis, rudder control, stick-rudder combined control and there are 4 bottons in instrument panel. During many tests, one of them lights up randomly, and you have to press that button to gain bonus. A few tests that stand out are -

On bottom of screen is written COLOR and WORD. Now in middle, the name of a color will appear in different color. And at bottom, out of COLOR and WORD, one will light up. You have to select appropriate answer using the 4 buttons on panel. For ex - If GREEN appears on screen in YELLOW color. And at bottom, COLOR lights up. You have to press button corresponding yo Yellow. And if WORD lights up, you have to press button for Green. Seems easy, but it can really frustrate you.

A matrix of very minute squares appears on the screen. VERY minute. This test is called Target Practice. One of the square will light up. You have to take your cursor square, using both stick and rudder, to the target and press the trigger. This keeps happening for around 10 targets. I got all of them in this test.

Two bars are there, one vertical and other horizontal. Horizontal one placed just below the vertical one. They move randomly, vertical one moves vertically and horizontal one horizontally. You have your cursor bars for both of them. With stick and rudder control, you have to superimpose vertical cursor bar over vertical bar with stick, and horizontal cursor bar over its own moving bar with rudders. This is more difficult than "Ball in Box" Test as your eyes are not just one ball, but on four bars.

An alpha-numeric series appears on the screen for some time. And it disappears and you get 4 options of letters and numerals. You have to select the one which was not there in series. You have very little time. This test takes time to get used to.

Two figures are appear on screen. Both are same type, like for example both are squares. One is static in size. The other one is a contracting or expanding figure, and you have to press the trigger right when you think that both figures have same size. Again a very tough test. Rate of change of size of figure is very high, reaction is very low.

Important - People used to apply certain tricks in earlier PABT. Like keeping the pickle pressed to take care of Beep bonus. And keeping the throttle pushed forward to collect red light bonus. BUT now the test deducts marks if you press buttons unnecessarily.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

::After readding Dhruv's details on the new PABT::

:shock: :shock: bejeezus, do they want all the aspirants to come fully qualified on the LCA? :LOL: wow, the new one sounds really complicated.... :shock:

Dhruv Thanks for the detailed writeup...
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

I thought I might share details of my interview with you guys. And I am eagerly wating for Shek to give his SSB details.

I was about to run into deep trouble during SSB - I didn't have formal clothes. I actually wore somebody else's clothes in interview and conference. Since he didn't make it, I had to run and change clothes in Bus to give him back his clothes. Anyways, I did make it to the interview and it was a good one. I will write questions that I can remember -

What are your qualities ?
What are qualities you would like to develop ?
What outdoor games do you play ?
What are your other interests and activities you took part in school ?
Tell me about your friends and what they think of you.
Give a brief account of your performance, favourite teach and subject, starting from class 8th.
Which places have you seen during your father's postings ?
Why did you father leave army and why do you want to join forces (and why only IAF) ?
What is Fly-by-Wire ?
What is Stealth ?
Which fighters were based in Pathankot when you lived there ?
Give five ways to make situation in J&K better.
Give some details of happenings in Nepal in past 5 yrs...and then in past 5 days ?

Questions from other's interviews -
What do you know about the Gulf War ?
Which is the fastest fighter in IAF ?
How many engines does it have ?
How many engines does MiG-21 have ?
What is LCA ?
Is the aircraft in front of main gate LCA ? If not, what is it ? (it was a Gnat in LCA paint scheme)
Name the ranks in IAF ?
What is Akash ?
Name the fighters IAF has ?
What are PSU's ?
Give 5 advantages and 5 disadvantages of canal project by Atal Bihari Vajpayee :?: .
All personal questions are same for all, and vary only depending upon response of candidate.

My interview lasted some 30 minutes, and conference didn't last long enough for me to even remember the faces of the officers. What I noticed in interview was that those who lacked info about IAF and defence stuff were subjected to more questions relating to politics etc. I ate up most of the time in FBW and stealth question, which saved me from what I find tough - the PSU, Canal questions.

In the end, the Wingo came and told the batch that the knowledge in defence was poor, and it needs to be improved by visiting good websites. According to him, boys just said that it was their dream to join IAF, but lack of basic knowledge showed lack of interest. So I reffered BR to everyone there :D !!!
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Jagan wrote:::After readding Dhruv's details on the new PABT::

:shock: :shock: bejeezus, do they want all the aspirants to come fully qualified on the LCA? :LOL: wow, the new one sounds really complicated.... :shock:

Dhruv Thanks for the detailed writeup...
A question - are there any left-handed pilots in IAF ? Don't they have a problem with stick-throttle simultaneous control ?

In my batch there was this lefty, who operated the throttle using right hand and stick with left hand during PABT. Since throttle is to the left, his hands actually were crossing each other for the operation. He obviously failed the test as he was not at ease. I told him it was good for him since he would not be able to become a good flier as his right hand could not operate the stick nicely.

But in new PABT, there is no throttle. So lefty people will be at equal terms with others. But eventually, they will have to use the throttle and stick together.

How do you think this will affect them ? If they will be grounded later, it is a sheer waste of resources.
pegasus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pegasus »

can anyone give me a detailed description of what the fly-by-wire system is? or may be a link that can give the relevant information?
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Try googling. It is basically a Flight Control Software that acts as an interface between pilot controls and actual control surfaces. This allows maximum utilization of aircraft envelope and also preventing overrunning limits. It is essential in unstable designs like LCA, to keep aircraft flyable.
pegasus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pegasus »

Thanks Dhruv. Would u also like to share the experience u had in group tasks specially G.D,military planning and lecturette? Also what were the topics u got in G.D and lecturette?