Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by abhinavjo »

^^i could also mean a blow/hit
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

koti wrote:
Bala Vignesh wrote:Armenda,
It means strike or attack.
I was under the impression that it means something like a wall.

praaharamu.(Telugu)(sanskrit??)
My bad.
Prahaar is indeed Strike.

I got it mixed up with Prakaar
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Rahul M wrote:saddle fuel tank on SMT upgrade, it is there on our mig-29 upg too. :(
looks ugly.
You bet, Uuugh Image
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

MiG 28 upg hump is not as ugly as F-16 with conformal tanks, or Rafale's cachectic "sunken cheeks" seen from the front and below.
RajSingh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RajSingh »

Guru log .. I have been following BRF for some time but this is my first post ..

I jsut read this news yesterday about NSG commando Naik PV Manesh who got injured in the Mumbai raid and now he cannot afford the treatment and Govt. won't help him.

please see the newspaper Report

please advice what we can do. I and a few friends are ready to donate some money for the soldiers well being.

Sincerely,
Raj
Last edited by RajSingh on 24 Jul 2011 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Is this truly the official song of the Indian navy ? Why did they use Carmina burana o fortuna as their official song ?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Its not the official song of the Indain navy, AFAIK. And the song is Divano by ERA..
SinghSardar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SinghSardar »

Hi,
I just joined BR after following it for many years.Not all (proud) Indians are SDRE. First and foremost, we are all Indians.We could be tall, fair and wheat eating or SDRE or mongoloid etc. I am a Sikh from Indian Punjab and can face a Pakistani physically anytime. Check out Kabaddi matches on youtube between Indian and Pakistani punjabis. All Indians are not wheat or rice eating. All Indians do not look alike for speak the same language or have the same strengths. This is what makes India unique. I am from a family that has served in the Indian army for generations.
I do not agree with the SDRE or any other label, except INDIAN. Ignore the Pakistanis - they talk too much. I wish Indians would follow up the talk with actions. The term "dhoti shiver" is so true!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SinghSardar wrote:Hi,
I just joined BR after following it for many years.Not all (proud) Indians are SDRE. First and foremost, we are all Indians.We could be tall, fair and wheat eating or SDRE or mongoloid etc. I am a Sikh from Indian Punjab and can face a Pakistani physically anytime. Check out Kabaddi matches on youtube between Indian and Pakistani punjabis. All Indians are not wheat or rice eating. All Indians do not look alike for speak the same language or have the same strengths. This is what makes India unique. I am from a family that has served in the Indian army for generations.
I do not agree with the SDRE or any other label, except INDIAN. Ignore the Pakistanis - they talk too much. I wish Indians would follow up the talk with actions. The term "dhoti shiver" is so true!

sardar ji,

IMVHO you should have lurked far longer. :)

sincerely,

SDRE onlee 8)

ps Many of us are from families that have proudly served the Armed Forces for generations and can count VrC holders amongst the members.

But believe you me, all proudly SRDE onlee :D
SinghSardar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SinghSardar »

I may have touched a raw nerve and you may have missed my point!All Indians serve their country (or should) proudly.My point is that no labels, eg, SDRE or such should be used. I fit the category of tall, fair,wheat eating etc, but I do not agree with this labelling.We are all Indians and this is what makes us unique.If we start segregating ,regionalizing or labelling, India as a Union has a problem! What do you think?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SinghSardar wrote:I may have touched a raw nerve and you may have missed my point!All Indians serve their country (or should) proudly.My point is that no labels, eg, SDRE or such should be used. I fit the category of tall, fair,wheat eating etc, but I do not agree with this labelling.We are all Indians and this is what makes us unique.If we start segregating ,regionalizing or labelling, India as a Union has a problem! What do you think?

sardar ji,

IMVHO you should have lurked far longer. :)

sincerely,

SDRE onlee 8)

ps

If you didn't get it earlier, you won't get it now either.
SinghSardar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SinghSardar »

Likewise. I agree. If you did not get it earlier, you won't get it now either.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

SinghSardar wrote:Likewise. I agree. If you did not get it earlier, you won't get it now either.
Read:
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... ary/s/sdre

So no one is self deprecating here. We are just being sarcastic. :lol:
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

jimmy_moh wrote:one noob doubt....

our army has around 1.3 million active troops...
and we do have same strength of reserved troops...... but who all are comes under this reserved category... i mean is it like territorial army kind of stuff..?
bump
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Its not the official song of the Indain navy, AFAIK. And the song is Divano by ERA..
Thanks you introduced me to a band I was unfamiliar with , the song is actually "the mass" by ERA . It is a rendition of Carmina burana which is an old latin folk song. The band is a pseudolatin/pseudo greek easy listening band with Interesting songs.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

jimmy, usually just retired and limited tenure i.e ex-SSC folk, plus the TA.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

well gakkadji,
The lyrics and the singing style is pretty much the same between the two songs. Check them out.
Sorry about the ot
SinghSardar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SinghSardar »

Seriously. Is the BR forum for "SDRE's" only?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

what's with this paki like obsession with physical attributes ?

if simple sarcasm is beyond you then perhaps BR is not for you.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

SinghSardar wrote:Seriously. Is the BR forum for "SDRE's" only?
Groan!
SS, humour & wit is lost on you
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

Rahul M wrote:jimmy, usually just retired and limited tenure i.e ex-SSC folk, plus the TA.
hmm so from my understanding officers will be very less in the reserved right...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

AdityaM wrote:
Groan!
SS, humour & wit is lost on you
Only four posts old and he's already strapped on the soosai vest. 8)

Way to go! :)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

5 foot 2 is the limit for being a member here. For being an admin you have to be around 5 feet. If you eat meat and wheat - its a problem - but we have unfortunately allowed in a lot of Indians who are not SDREs who eat meat and wheat. But we will weed them out by their US based IPs. Ideally you should eat rice only. Fish is OK for admission under reserved category. One forum member was nearly kicked out because it was discovered that he is related to a darkie - Deepika Padukone, but he was kept in on maneaterian grounds.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

sirf majak kar rahe hain, shriman....Welcome.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

What is the object over the cockpit?
http://lh4.ggpht.com/-7ZWK60oSlu4/Ti8Z_ ... 25255D.jpg
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Periscope for the fellow in rear cockpit to see ahead...

Apparently this is one of the mirrors and the second is in the cockpit.

Interestingly, this is not present in IN's KUBs !!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-SXl3RdmVBDc/Ti8Z ... 25255D.jpg
vijyeta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vijyeta »

Gurneesh wrote:Periscope for the fellow in rear cockpit to see ahead...

Apparently this is one of the mirrors and the second is in the cockpit.

Interestingly, this is not present in IN's KUBs !!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-SXl3RdmVBDc/Ti8Z ... 25255D.jpg
The aircraft in this picture is not a KUB. Please note the size of the radar cone and the 'missing' drooping of the nose.
For the IN MIG 29K's the canopy itself sometimes gives the impression of the aircraft being a two seater.
muktesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by muktesh »

I've a noob question
What is the difference between an assault rifle and a battle rifle?? :-? :-? is it like in a war instead of using ak and insas the army uses fn fal??
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Muktesh,
As wiki puts it, the main difference is the calibre of the round it chambers. Going by it, any assault rifle that chambers a 7.62mm round can be considered an Battle Rifle.
Battle Rifle on Wikipedia
muktesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by muktesh »

So sir then why ak 47 is considered an assault rifle
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

vijyeta wrote: The aircraft in this picture is not a KUB. Please note the size of the radar cone and the 'missing' drooping of the nose.
For the IN MIG 29K's the canopy itself sometimes gives the impression of the aircraft being a two seater.
True for Older Migs, but as this pic of KUB shows, it has 2 seats plus a bigger nose etc.. So i guess they must have improved the design.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/308484/Blog/201 ... UB-03.JPEG

Canopy design is surely different between UB and KUB

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/308484/Blog/201 ... UB-02.JPEG
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

muktesh wrote:So sir then why ak 47 is considered an assault rifle
The wiki article quoted above states that AK 47 is 7.62x39mm while battlefield rifle is supposed to have 7.62x51mm.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

muktesh wrote:I've a noob question
What is the difference between an assault rifle and a battle rifle?? :-? :-? is it like in a war instead of using ak and insas the army uses fn fal??
Battle rifle = Uses a full sized rifle cartridge. Assault rifle = Uses intermediate sized rifle cartridge. Submachine gun = Uses pistol cartridge.

What is a full sized rifle cartridge vs. intermediate sized rifle cartridge vs. pistol cartridge is sort of loosely defined, but as others have pointed out, it has to do with range and caliber and how much recoil is produced.

Of course, this definition is somewhat broad, but it is all relative and depends on what else is available at the same time. For instance, when the 7.62x51 mm. and 30-06 cartridges were developed, they were considered full size rifle cartridges. When 5.56x45 mm. and 7.62x39 mm. were later developed, they were considered as intermediate cartridges, since they had smaller range and power compared to the 30-06 or 7.62x51 mm. cartridges, which were (and still are) in use at that time.

Now people have recently developed the 6.8x43 Remington SPC and the 6.5x38 Grendel cartridges as well. These guys have more power than 5.56x45 mm., but are still considered intermediate cartridges, because they are less powerful than 7.62x51 mm. However, due to advances in chemical technologies, people are producing more powerful propellants than before. Therefore a 7.8 gram version of the 6.5x38 Grendel actually produces more power than an Arisaka 6.5x50 cartridge (which was used in the early 1900s by the Japanese army and later, the Russians, and was considered a full sized rifle cartridge). In the early 1900s, the Arisaka cartridge was comparable in performance to cartridges used in other military rifles available in the early 1900s and so everyone calls it a full-sized cartridge. However, if it was developed today, it would have been considered as an intermediate cartridge.
vijyeta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vijyeta »

Gurneesh wrote:
True for Older Migs, but as this pic of KUB shows, it has 2 seats plus a bigger nose etc.. So i guess they must have improved the design.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/308484/Blog/201 ... UB-03.JPEG

Canopy design is surely different between UB and KUB

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/308484/Blog/201 ... UB-02.JPEG
Agreed. The nose seems the same for both now. Even the nose droop is reduced for the KUB.

However, coming back to the link you had posted earlier,(http://lh5.ggpht.com/-SXl3RdmVBDc/Ti8Z0 ... 25255D.jpg), the serial number is 804.

No. 804 is a Mig 29k, not a KUB. Please see the same craft from another angle.
http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6661630&nseq=0
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

what are these ?
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinavjo »

^^RWR I believe
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

The one mounted on top of the rudder is a radar warning receiver.. But the one below the rudder is part of the EW upgrade that the birds are getting
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinavjo »

Say whatever u want the bird looks U-G-L-Y now
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Abhinavjo,
None here disputes that what was once an elegant swan has turned into a rather ugly duck.
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinavjo »

Quite some time ago there was a news that Indian defense establishment is considering raising a marine force. So is this going to be centered around the IA's 91 Infantry brigade being sea lifted by navy's amphibious fleet or are we raising a separate marine force? And why not raise a separate marine force? Would this hamper our peace loving stance because marines are an explicitly invasion based force?