Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Aug 05, 2011

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Aug 05, 20

Post by A_Gupta »

http://cpj.org/blog/2011/08/quantifying ... kistan.php
Cases of threats to Pakistani journalists.
But since December 2010, CPJ's Journalist Assistance Program (JA) has processed requests for help from 16 journalists in Pakistan who are dealing with threats. Others have told us of threats they have received in the event that they are attacked.

Outside of JA's caseload, we are aware of nine other journalists who have received death threats or menacing messages, usually by text message. These threats went beyond the usual level and were bad enough for the journalists to tell us about them. We have three "in case I am killed" messages in Bob's e-mail inbox, set aside if the worst-case scenario actually comes about for these people.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the Pakistani Role in Global Terrorism thread.

Sundeep Waslekar of the Strategic Foresight Group says that Islamic Terrorism far from imposing a financial cost on the Islamic Republic of Pakistan actually contributes INR 264 Billion and boosts the Islamic Republic’s GDP by 6.6%:
Gift of terror: Expert says terrorism adds 6.6% to Pak GDP ………………………..

Q: You say terror is worth Rs 264 billion in Pakistan some time ago and this is 6.6% of the GDP; I suppose that’s the more important number. Is this hell of an accusation because you are saying that the Inter- Services Intelligence (ISI) is directly involved in terror in India, at a state they sponsor terrorism in India? How do you arrive at this figure?

Waslekar: We have made some calculations about how much money is going into the operations of the various terrorist groups in Pakistan. We made some very detailed calculations about how much is spent on armament and their upkeep. That came to about Rs 80 billion some years ago. About Rs 24 billion were spent on ISI’s own upkeep for managing these terrorist outfits.

Accounting was also done for their share in the poppy cultivation business in Afghanistan and this is a visible part. There is a invisible part of ISI’s involvement in Pakistan’s black economy.

All this comes to about 6.6% of GDP, we call this gross terror economy product (GTP) of Pakistan. I don’t think it has changed much. The absolute numbers would have changed in the last few years, but overall share in the GDP continues to be more or less the same.
Last edited by arun on 06 Aug 2011 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
shivajisisodia
BRFite

Post by shivajisisodia »

shiv wrote:The mere fact that "larger empires have fallen like a pack of cards" means nothing. Zilch. Smaller empires have stood up and are still defiant. If I my maidservant sleeps with me it does not mean that Angelia Joile will fall in love with me or vice versa. There is zero connection between "larger empires falling" and Pakistan. A strawman argument if ever I saw one.

You tell me about the "better policy" to "fix" Pak. I am willing to listen to anyone.
Sir,

It is not a strawman's argument, with all due respect. I request that you reason this out in a calm manner. I agree with you that "size doesnt matter". In fact, thats exactly what I meant when I said that "larger empires have fallen". I did not say that it therefore follows that ALL large empires are fallable or that ALL small entities are fallable too. I was only responding to your point that "size does matter". Honestly, werent you making that point in your earlier post ? Why else would you say that "nothing can be effective against 175 million people"? What was the purpose of bringing up "175 million people", if you werent implying size ? So, when you brought up "175 million people", you were clearly saying that "size matters", which is exactly what I countered and which now you are asserting to point out a fallacy in my argument. Nevertheless, this is a minor point and we can agree that size doesnt matter.

As to your point about a better policy, thanks for inviting me to present my views. This way I am protected from your angry retort that I am not the only Pak expert and that I come here acting all knowing, which I am not. I do agree that I am not a Pak expert and that some of the policy recommendations I make here may not work, but I think the general thrust of what I am saying will be an improvement over our what exists right now.

I will divide my recommendations in two parts. One what the US can do and what India can do differently.

In case of US, it is merely a flaw in their analysis of the entire Islamic threat and Pak situation in that context which has caused their failure in dealing with Pakistan. They have all the infrastructure in place to be able to successfully deal with Pak, if only they can fix their analysis. Infrasturcture means "an aggressive nationalistic population", which by and large unites behind most nationalistic causes and actions, when called upon by their leadership, although sometimes going to extremes which is well illustrated by their misadventure in Iraq. Having a nationalistic and united population that is willing to fight is the foundation of everything, which the US has. Then it is backed by great economic strength, notwithstanding current problems, which in turn is a foundation of a strong military capability that they have. So, if they correct their failure to identify Pak as a vanguard and frontline state and battle front for Pan Islamic expansion, they will go a long way in directing their fire at the right place. They also need to correct their failure to identify the chokepoints and achilles's heals of Pak. They can start off by having their thinktanks, media and other covert communication arms to pop up scenarios where US government is seriously considering "recognizing" all of J&K as Indian territory, thus legitimizing Indian covert and even overt intervention across the line of control, thus delegitimizing internationally, Pak claim over any Kashmir and thereby hamstring Pak from retaliating with nuclear weapons in the event of Indian actions in POK. The mere threat of it will send Pakis, "Salwar shivering", to borrow a phrase from you. Then having the Western human rights agencies issuing damning reports on human rights violations in Balochistan and legitimizing the Balochis struggle for independence and even threatening to de-facto recognize a separate Baloch state (kinda like a recognition of the Lybian rebels), will make the Paki hair stand up inside their "salwars". This along with continued drone strikes and heavily arming a Northern Alliance type militia within Afghan, despite the potential for having Afghan turning into a permanent civil war zone will be enough at some point to bring Paki to its knees. The Americans need not maintain a large military presence in Afghan to do that. The US should accept the fact that an unstable and perpetually at war Afghan without much military presence is in its interest, where it keeps Pak bogged down in a place which everyone says is the "graveyard of even larger empires".

So the US policies are a relatively easy fix. They merely have to get the cloud of cold war history and other fallacies out of their minds and make a good analysis of the situation and they can take care of Pak. It is easier said than done though, but that is all that is needed.

In case of Indian policy, that is not all that is needed. Clearly most enlightened people in India, including many on this forum, have a very clear idea of the nature of Pak and what should be done to fix it. There are millions of enlightened Indians. But unfortunately, for every enlightened Indian there are 7 or 8 unelinghtened Indians, who then elect a government which itself is unenlightened in general. Of course I am not saying that we have occasionally not had leaders and babus who have acted very correctly vis-a-vis Pak. But these have been accidents and exceptions. Our government is not backed by a united and nationalistic population like the US. Therefore, Indian problem is that it is not even at point A. IT does not have the human infra-structure in place to put forward and implement any policies vis-avis Pak. Therefore, Indian problem is much harder to fix and the fix lies all within us, not merely in our faulty analysis or out of stupidity, which is the case with the US.

Therefore, when you assert Sir, that India is ineffective and US is inefective, and therefore, India and US are "equal equal", it is not correct. US problems are eminently fixable while India's are intractable. Again, that is not to say, that US will definitely be successful in fixing its problems vis-a-vis Pak, just because it is easy. Nor is it a definite that Indians cannot solve their own problems, even if they are hard and seem intractable. Some times people cannot ever solve simple problems and sometimes unlikely people solve seemingly intracticble problems. But I am merely stating the fact that US's policy problems with respect to Pak are much easier to fix than our.

And if I were a betting man, I would not put much money on either US or India to develop correct policies to tackle Pak, but I will if I put a nickel on the US, I will only put a penny on India.

So lastly, let us do what we Indians do best. hope for God's intervention. May the good Lord Vishnu cause a miracle, where the Pakis even outdo themselves in stupidity and seriously and consistently antagonize China, which will more likely than not, take care of the Paki problem for good. After all, what else can we Indians do ? We are after all Indians only.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

Pakis will be crowing soon about the Taliban shooting down a heli full of US special forces troops, including SEAL team 6.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Nandu wrote:Pakis will be crowing soon about the Taliban shooting down a heli full of US special forces troops, including SEAL team 6.
lol But I would have my doubts about the presence of Seal Team 6. It is just for Paki consumption to give a closure to some jernails.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

^^ casualties are quite high. 31 reported dead + 1 chinook
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

The news should be read as "Taliban trained in pakistan shot down chinook killing dozens of american soldiers"...
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, according to the BeeB, it does seem like a TSPA/ISI revenge

US media reports that many of those killed were from the elite Navy Seals.
If this is true, I expect deadly counter attack from US.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Nandu wrote:Pakis will be crowing soon about the Taliban shooting down a heli full of US special forces troops, including SEAL team 6.
Till such time as the Pakistani’s actually get around to saying that can we please keep it out of this thread.
shivajisisodia
BRFite

Post by shivajisisodia »

While we are on the subject, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to make one other point.

Let us look first at some general facts.

1. US is like a composite of two personalities. One, that of a simple minded muscle kid in school who loves a good fight. His genetic makeup causes him to relish a confrontation. This kid particularly loves a fight that he has a great likelihood of winning. He further loves a fight that fits within the framework of a "narrative" or a dogma, prevelent in his family of his general culture. Two, that of a rich kid, who likes to treat others as pawn in his larger game, by leveraging his money.

2. US has a general narrative after 9/11 which continues to the present dayr which is reasonably ingrained in its social psychie, which is that Islamists are the enemy and that it should be confronted.

Let us now look at some specific current day facts.

1. Despite the general animosity towards the Islamists, the US population right now has battle fatigue due to its inability to have a clean win in Afghanistan. Then the American economy is in a depression coupled with the extreme debt that its government has. It therefore, has no appetite to expend either money or lives in another misadventure against any Islamists.

2. Because of this fatigue, it is desperately looking to get out of Afghanistan and in this desperation is willing to make deals with Taliban and basically secede a lot of poltical and military space in Afghan to Pak.

3. On the other hand, Paki actions over the years since 9/11 and particularly recently since Bin-Laden's killing has created palpable anger in the enlightened US population, particularly in a lot of the policy making circles such as the CIA and other intelligence agencies that have become intimately familiar with the true nature of Pak.

4. Therefore, the American animosity towards Islam coupled with its particular current anger towards Pak combined with American "natural" pre-disposition to fight, makes it very open to "alternate" ideas on how to successfully engage the Islamists and particularly Pak, as long as they can do it without spending too much money or expending many lives.

I humbly contend that India can provide a relatively cheap solution to this problem. India can present to the US the following, which I had touched upon my earlier post:

1. By all means withdraw the bulk of American forces from Af-Pak.

2. Continue a small American strategic presence, which is a combination of conventional army, intelligence, air force etc, in well fortified and discrete bases.

3. Have Americans covertly and heavily arm a well organized and lean and mean Northern Alliance type militia to create a sort of a permanent civil war situation in Afghan, possibly for decades or until there is so much war fatigue amongst even the most isolated cave dwelling Afghan populatin that Taliban and Pak completely loses any civilian support base that it currently enjoys and in fact the civilians start hating the Pakis, the hate whose seeds already exist in most Afghan hearts already, including the PAshtuns

4. Have the American "establishment", civil society and the media start thinking aloud the possibility of American recognition of all of JK as Indian territory

5. Have Americans heavily arm the Baloch nationalists and unleash the American propoganda machinary to prop up their cause

6. Clearly, gradually scale back and end all military and economic aid to Pak

7. Covertly finance very indirectly some Uigher groups within Pak to create periodic tensions in Xinjiang, which can be attributed to cross border groups in Pak, so as to keep that modicum of distrust between China and Pak

8. Wait for the Paki poodle to come and lick "massa's" feet or cry "Uncle" whichever it prefers.

It will be a challenge to Indian diplomacy to present such a narrative to the US in a serious way that brings out its cost efficient and low risk nature. In fact, it will be a collossal failure of Indian diplomacy if it fails to put forward such a solution to the US and doesnt successfully carries this through the various Congressmen, Senators, policy types and the White House.

Hillary Clinton invited India to play a bigger role in its neighborhood, let us take her up on it and present this as our first initiative to meet her challenge. Let us see how US responds.
sanjeevpunj
BRFite

Post by sanjeevpunj »

President Obama offered his condolences and prayers to the families of the Americans and Afghans who died in the attack. “Their death is a reminder of the extraordinary sacrifice made by the men and women of our military and their families,” Mr. Obama said. President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan also offered his condolences to the victims’ families.

Further in the article-

“As we lose U.S. personnel, we have to concentrate on the greater populations,” said Lt. Col. Thomas S. Rickard, the commander of 10th Mountain Division’s Task Force Warrior, which has responsibility for the area that includes Tangi. “We are going to continue to hunt insurgents in Tangi and prevent them form having a safe haven.”
Source:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/world ... istan.html
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Indian intellectuals, scribes helped Pak wage war against India: J&K experts …………………………………

"Pakistan has managed to fight a low cost intellectual and propaganda war with the help of India's intellectual class against the country through Fai," said Dipankar Sen Gupta, Jammu University professor and Kashmir expert while deliberating on the issue of Fai-Indian intellectual links at a seminar at Press Club here today…………………………

DNA
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Moni Mohsin, in the Guardian laments the vanished Pakistan
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... o-pakistan
where in the 1960s
When I was a child, mullahs were figures of fun. Notorious for their greed, they were the butt of jokes. Now they are powerful figures running vast madrasas that churn out hate-filled, brainwashed terrorists. Backed by the army, and with massive street power, these new mullahs hold the government to ransom. The Pakistan of my childhood was safe and calm. Other than the old Lee Enfield carried by the guard who snoozed outside the local bank, I hadn't seen a gun. Now Kalashnikovs are as ubiquitous as fridges. Our night watchman carried a stick. Now anyone who can afford them has armed guards. In our neighbourhood, where gates were never closed, ordinary middle-class families live behind high walls.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

shivajisisodia wrote:
In case of US, it is merely a flaw in their analysis of the entire Islamic threat and Pak situation in that context which has caused their failure in dealing with Pakistan. They have all the infrastructure in place to be able to successfully deal with Pak, if only they can fix their analysis. Infrasturcture means "an aggressive nationalistic population", which by and large unites behind most nationalistic causes and actions, when called upon by their leadership, although sometimes going to extremes which is well illustrated by their misadventure in Iraq. Having a nationalistic and united population that is willing to fight is the foundation of everything, which the US has. Then it is backed by great economic strength, notwithstanding current problems, which in turn is a foundation of a strong military capability that they have. So, if they correct their failure to identify Pak as a vanguard and frontline state and battle front for Pan Islamic expansion, they will go a long way in directing their fire at the right place. They also need to correct their failure to identify the chokepoints and achilles's heals of Pak. .
ShivajiSisodia ji , This mere flaw is by no means easy to correct. No matter how aggressive the US population is or how capable US is , until unless there is national and political will to solve the Pakistan problem nothing is going to be done.And this will is nowhere to be seen wrt Pakistan problem in USA.And without this will US wouldn't even be able to support baloch or uighurs as you proposed even if US has the capability.Sure it has the green berets who are the masters of unconventional warfare but does it also have the will.Even for covert action this will is required. The same is true for India too . Also anger in US population doesn't mean anything.A huge percentage of population is angry in India also at Paki actions.Is this anger solving anything.Anger of a nation need not necessarily translate into action on the part of nation.According to me you are overestimating what America can do at this point of time or in the near future.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

shivajisisodia

Your prescriptions border on pure fantasy and have zero chance of happening, but I agree with these observations of yours

1. Despite the general animosity towards the Islamists, the US population right now has battle fatigue due to its inability to have a clean win in Afghanistan. Then the American economy is in a depression coupled with the extreme debt that its government has. It therefore, has no appetite to expend either money or lives in another misadventure against any Islamists.

2. Because of this fatigue, it is desperately looking to get out of Afghanistan and in this desperation is willing to make deals with Taliban and basically secede a lot of poltical and military space in Afghan to Pak.
This does seem to be the stated US startegy, but my question is what does this mean? If US wants to cut and run, why not do it now. I mean what kind of a deal with TSP/Taliban is US looking for that will let it declare victory and come home to marching bands?
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

My small try to answer your theory. <reply embedded>
shivajisisodia wrote:1. By all means withdraw the bulk of American forces from Af-Pak.
<it is already in process>
2. Continue a small American strategic presence, which is a combination of conventional army, intelligence, air force etc, in well fortified and discrete bases.
<which will be once the bulk withdraw takes place. Although there will hardly be any discrete about it>
3. Have Americans covertly and heavily arm a well organized and lean and mean Northern Alliance type militia to create a sort of a permanent civil war situation in Afghan, possibly for decades or until there is so much war fatigue amongst even the most isolated cave dwelling Afghan populatin that Taliban and Pak completely loses any civilian support base that it currently enjoys and in fact the civilians start hating the Pakis, the hate whose seeds already exist in most Afghan hearts already, including the PAshtuns
<war is not new to afghans. Its their lifestyle, not a moonlight. They won't get tired ever>
4. Have the American "establishment", civil society and the media start thinking aloud the possibility of American recognition of all of JK as Indian territory
<West have carefully created this JK card for India with the help of pakistan and gullible indian policy over last few decades. why would they suddenly surrender it? They will keep it to use it as and when require. Remember there are no permanent friends and enemies in the world politics. We are only strategic ally of US. Who is sure of the future? >
5. Have Americans heavily arm the Baloch nationalists and unleash the American propoganda machinary to prop up their cause
<it won't happen practically unless both the countries are in direct war. Which is every BRFites dream. If this happens then we don't need rest of your wishes to happen :) >
<US will never look pakistan through our glasses. They have their own strategic interest in pak. Some military and economic aid (cash bribe in other words) is necessary for US to have some leverage over pak>
7. Covertly finance very indirectly some Uigher groups within Pak to create periodic tensions in Xinjiang, which can be attributed to cross border groups in Pak, so as to keep that modicum of distrust between China and Pak
<no, chinese intelligence is not stupid to know who is holding the strings. US will neve get into direct conflict with china>
8. Wait for the Paki poodle to come and lick "massa's" feet or cry "Uncle" whichever it prefers.
<they are doing it since ages>
Last edited by abhijitm on 06 Aug 2011 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
shivajisisodia
BRFite

Post by shivajisisodia »

darshhan wrote:
shivajisisodia wrote:
In case of US, it is merely a flaw in their analysis of the entire Islamic threat and Pak situation in that context which has caused their failure in dealing with Pakistan. They have all the infrastructure in place to be able to successfully deal with Pak, if only they can fix their analysis. Infrasturcture means "an aggressive nationalistic population", which by and large unites behind most nationalistic causes and actions, when called upon by their leadership, although sometimes going to extremes which is well illustrated by their misadventure in Iraq. Having a nationalistic and united population that is willing to fight is the foundation of everything, which the US has. Then it is backed by great economic strength, notwithstanding current problems, which in turn is a foundation of a strong military capability that they have. So, if they correct their failure to identify Pak as a vanguard and frontline state and battle front for Pan Islamic expansion, they will go a long way in directing their fire at the right place. They also need to correct their failure to identify the chokepoints and achilles's heals of Pak. .
ShivajiSisodia ji , This mere flaw is by no means easy to correct. No matter how aggressive the US population is or how capable US is , until unless there is national and political will to solve the Pakistan problem nothing is going to be done.And this will is nowhere to be seen wrt Pakistan problem in USA.And without this will US wouldn't even be able to support baloch or uighurs as you proposed even if US has the capability.Sure it has the green berets who are the masters of unconventional warfare but does it also have the will.Even for covert action this will is required. The same is true for India too . Also anger in US population doesn't mean anything.A huge percentage of population is angry in India also at Paki actions.Is this anger solving anything.Anger of a nation need not necessarily translate into action on the part of nation.According to me you are overestimating what America can do at this point of time or in the near future.

Sir,

I did not say it is easy. Please read my post, I did not say it will be easy. I agree with you on your post. Therefore, please dont argue when we agree.

It does not do any good to have the biggest gun if you are pointing it North, when you should actually be pointing it South. If you point your big gun in the wrong direction, you are no longer the guy with the big gun, you are a buffoon with a big gun and a laughing stock.

But that does'nt negate the fact that thay guy has the biggest gun and the willingness to shoot. If he just turns around, he can achieve his goal. Which is in stark contrast with India, which doesnt even have a gun. By gun, I dont literally mean the gun, but the entire package of capabilities.
shivajisisodia
BRFite

Post by shivajisisodia »

abhijitm wrote:My small try to answer your theory. <reply embedded>
shivajisisodia wrote:1. By all means withdraw the bulk of American forces from Af-Pak.
<it is already in process>
<which will be once the bulk withdraw takes place. Although there will hardly be any discrete about it>
<war is not new to afghans. Its their lifestyle, not a moonlight. They won't get tired ever>
<West have carefully created this JK card for India with the help of pakistan and gullible indian policy over last few decades. why would they suddenly surrender it? They will keep it to use it as and when require. Remember there are no permanent friends and enemies in the world politics. We are only strategic ally of US. Who is sure of the future? >
<it won't happen practically unless both the countries are in direct war. Which is every BRFites dream. If this happens then we don't need rest of your wishes to happen :) >
<US will never look pakistan through our glasses. They have their own strategic interest in pak. Some military and economic aid (cash bribe in other words) is necessary for US to have some leverage over pak>
<no, chinese intelligence is not stupid to know who is holding the strings. US will neve get into direct conflict with china>
<they are doing it since ages>

What you say is true and reality as it exists now. It is for Indian diplomacy to take up the challenge to change this reality by pursuading the US to change its point of view. It is not unrealistic to think that there already is a realization in the US that the potential and scale of threat the West faces from Islam is far greater than any threat they can ever face from India. Therefore, it is quite realistic to think that good honest diplomacy would be able to convince the US to give up the JK card against India, particularly in view of their recent "bad experiences" with Pak.

Besides, even without the JK card, the neighborhood that India lives in and India's many economic and geopolitical vulnerabilities, US will still hold many cards against India, if and when it chooses to use it.

Also, read my post carefully. I dont talk about a full fledged recognition of JK as Indian territory immediately. I am only talking about the US making some noises about it, in the first cut. Indian diplomacy should at least be able to convince the US to do that, considering the payback for it will be a capitulation by Pak to US. From and Indian perspective, it still willbe a big win, despite it not being a full fledged recognition. The more under US control Pak is, the better it is for us, as we can then deal more directly with US to control Pak actions.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

We need recogniztion from US about our own territory? USA is not Massa and India not Poodle . India is rising power and US a diminishing one. No need to rush into making any decision, India an afford to wait and no one doubt Indian capacity of 'waiting" till babus act or pigs fly or Digveejay keep quiet.
jash_p
BRFite

Post by jash_p »

Pakis will be crowing soon about the Taliban shooting down a heli full of US special forces troops, including SEAL team 6.

AOA

kafir uncle supplied taller and deeper friend perfected STINGER missile at work.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Could you have imagined?
http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/boo ... 17672.html
Secularizing Islamists?
Jama'at-e-Islami and Jama'at-ud-Da'wa in Urban Pakistan
Humeira Iqtidar

Secularizing Islamists? provides an in-depth analysis of two Islamist parties in Pakistan, the highly influential Jama‘at-e-Islami and the more militant Jama‘at-ud-Da‘wa, widely blamed for the November 2008 terrorist attack in Mumbai, India. Basing her findings on thirteen months of ethnographic work with the two parties in Lahore, Humeira Iqtidar proposes that these Islamists are involuntarily facilitating secularization within Muslim societies, even as they vehemently oppose secularism.

This book offers a fine-grained account of the workings of both parties that challenges received ideas about the relationship between the ideology of secularism and the processes of secularization. Iqtidar particularly illuminates the impact of women on Pakistani Islamism, while arguing that these Islamist groups are inadvertently supporting secularization by forcing a critical engagement with the place of religion in public and private life. She highlights the role that competition among Islamists and the focus on the state as the center of their activity plays in assisting secularization. The result is a significant contribution to our understanding of emerging trends in Muslim politics.
Ayesha Siddiqui
http://tribune.com.pk/story/225664/gett ... oodstream/
points out the obvious
The main flaw with Iqtidar’s analysis, however, is that it does not consider the active role of the state in building the jihadi discourse and the centrality of force and violence in the jihadi narrative. Their seemingly non-militant activities such as welfare and relief work are not an end but means to an end. The peripheral activities are primarily a cover to hide the actual work and intent of these outfits.
Fortunately, both the book and e-book are:
Not for sale in India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldive Islands, Bangladesh, Burma/Myanmar, and Sri Lanka
Ayesha Siddiqui also wrote in the above tribune article
For instance, the report presented to the Punjab government talks about eight critical madrassas in Bahawalpur, Multan and Lodhran. Interestingly, most of these madrassas are those that have support from state agencies. Over the years, banned outfits have been, in fact, encouraged or not stopped from taking over Barelvi madrassas. In mafia style, there is turf warfare going on in almost every district with the Deobandi militant groups fighting for control over Barelvi seminaries. Some madrassas mentioned in these reports have expanded their operations to include indoctrination of women as well. And all of this happens in full view of the police and intelligence apparatus of the state. Over the past decade or so, its almost been a fad to allow construction of madrassas at the entry and exit of all major cities, town and communication arteries.
Last edited by A_Gupta on 07 Aug 2011 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

shivajisisodia wrote:I am only talking about the US making some noises about it, in the first cut. Indian diplomacy should at least be able to convince the US to do that, considering the payback for it will be a capitulation by Pak to US. From and Indian perspective, it still willbe a big win, despite it not being a full fledged recognition. The more under US control Pak is, the better it is for us, as we can then deal more directly with US to control Pak actions.
Just for the sake of argument...
1) making noise by whom? US gov official will definitely not make it. It will be by other channels like some subject matter experts. Then pakistan will also counter it through the same route. What considerable damage will it cost, except for some headlines in ToIlet
2) Whoever make the noise must be some recognized expert and he/she needs to have a solid reason why they were wrong in last many decades about JK and have sudden change of heart of recognizing POK as indian territory.

More practical expectation would be to create noise about human rights violation in POK and Balochistan.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

There was something interesting on USA network last week, an episode of "Covert Affairs", based on a CIA operative's life. Incidentally, this was brought by Doug Liman, producer of the Bourne Trilogy.

While I wait for James Bond to work with an Indian Bond girl to snatch Pakistani nukes (one can dream!), momentum is growing. This is a must watch for desis frustrated with USA's reluctance to acknowledge the Pakistani game.

Covert Affairs : Sad Professor
Episode synopsis :
A CIA case officer, codename Moonlight, was killed in the line of duty. The agent turns out to be Annie's language professor from Georgetown University, Dr. Mark Ramsay. Annie is stunned to discover that he was part of Langley and is now dead. Ramsay was tracking a local Pakistani state-sponsored spy ring called Lashkar-e-Taiba.

In light of Annie's relationship to Dr. Ramsay, Joan and Arthur order her to go to the doctor's grieving widow, Safia, to tell her the truth about her husband's clandestine occupation. But Annie is also tasked with locating Dr. Ramsay's classified documents that have been stored on micro-dots, an archaic CIA device that shrinks a full document down to the size of a period.
For those who can't watch that online.. here are some lines from the show
An agency head introduces the dead operative as somebody tracking a local spy ring.. a pakistani state sponsored group Lashkar-e-Taiba
As for Pakistani response, exchange between an Indian origin CIA operative ("Jay", played by Senthil Ramamurthy) and his Caucasian boss
Jay : "Pakistani Govt is in full denial; they insist they shut down all militant groups; none exist;"
Jay : " Car rental tracked back to a welfare organization in Pakistan

Boss : "Right out of play book, charitable organization as front."
Boss : "Give us money for food and aid, and we will buy guns"

Jay : "About the pakistani firm in DC; It is being tracked by Pakistani desk of CIA since the 26/11; Have full dossier on everyone working there" :)
Goose is beginning to be cooked in primetime. Slow roast has begun, it will prbably be theme of the season!

Indo-Pak is becoming like Israeli-Palestinian dynamic in US's media. Except they might have some soft corner for Palestine, but there seems to be no love anymore for our friendly neighbor.

Episodes may not be available online, but people must have ways!
Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

The SEAL team 6 is an almost exact repeat of what happened in operation Red Wings but with a higher number of casualties.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

@a_kumar^^^ "While I wait for James Bond to work with an Indian Bond girl to snatch Pakistani nukes (one can dream!)"

James is politically correct these days where GBLT reigns in place of her majesty. Indian Bond "girl" may take the hindmost to James' satisfaction at being on the receiving end after the 'snatch' of nukes. :)
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

CRamS wrote: If this is true, I expect deadly counter attack from US.
Naaaa.... US is scared of Pakis. They would not only do nothing to Pakis and instead would restart military aid. I bet $5.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

People seem to forget that there is BENIS thread for such posts.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://criticalppp.com/archives/54759
Police against sleeveless dress.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

RamaY wrote:Naaaa.... US is scared of Pakis. They would not only do nothing to Pakis and instead would restart military aid. I bet $5.
sarcasm much :wink:

I take that bet. Show me an act of clear retaliation for this on the people who ordered this attack, and I will paypal you that $5.

I predict that nothing much is going to happen. Nothing visible happened when Pakis soosai attacked that CIA Afg chief woman too. Did they get any ISI bigwig for that? correct me if I am wrong...
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

arun wrote:
Indian intellectuals, scribes helped Pak wage war against India: J&K experts …………………………………

"Pakistan has managed to fight a low cost intellectual and propaganda war with the help of India's intellectual class against the country through Fai," said Dipankar Sen Gupta, Jammu University professor and Kashmir expert while deliberating on the issue of Fai-Indian intellectual links at a seminar at Press Club here today…………………………

DNA
IMO, these buggers should be arrested and tried and given the full extent of the punishment given to traitors..the Benedict Arnold. Especially when they lament about injustice in India, First we need to try these buggers. These self titled "Intellectual" lefties.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

irrelevant post deleted
Last edited by shiv on 07 Aug 2011 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

arun wrote:

DNA
"Fai's arrest in America has only brought out a facet of the problem which has infected the cross section of opinion makers in India.

"Hobnobbing with the agencies (Fai and ISI) of inimical country and masquerading as peace activists, peace individuals living in India have done irreparable damage to the national interest," Professor Koul said.
To my mind this gels well with the theme of Indian mediocrity as well as Acharya's observations about indoctrination.

For Indians, participation in a conference held abroad (especially on invitation) is a big deal and is used on their CVs
"I took part in the 2005, Marymore, Baltiland conference on "How to screw India" and presented a paper on "Vedic roots of terrorism"
Fai/ISI figured this out and suckered these Indiots

Indian mediocrity in part stems from Indians believing that Indian opinions are not good enough unless they are validated by the west. This is actually made even more true by the fact that Indians allow the publication of pure trash/plagiarised stuff, leading to a situation in which something of moderate academic value that gets accepted by the west can be held up as a great achievement. This situation allows people in the west (including the likes of Fai) to specifically pick out and invite itellectual mediocrity knowing that the invitation itself automatically leads to that mediocre intellectual becoming famous and popular in india as a clever academic because white man is inviting him for his opinions.

This irritates me but I have no solutions for Indian mediocrity. The nation has to bootstrap itself and pick itself up. This is a theme where India is totally adharmic and the academic dharma that is followed in the USA/West is something that we can learn from. If only we understood the value :roll:
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

brihaspati wrote: Traders and mercantile interests from Indian side will of course look at their profits - and as they have done before in historical periods - at one point they will see "economic" interests must override "narrow" and "parochial" concerns of "nationalism".
+1. Exactly. We will create a Pakistan lobby in India which will speak for its Paki customers. They will go ahead and blame India (and Indian army in J&K) for all Indo-Pak problems. sabse bada rupaiya.

And the rich have more "free speech" than ordinary people. It follows that their concerns will affect (and shape) Indian foreign policy.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Manny wrote:IMO, these buggers should be arrested and tried and given the full extent of the punishment given to traitors..the Benedict Arnold. Especially when they lament about injustice in India, First we need to try these buggers. These self titled "Intellectual" lefties.
Aha. So now you see why planning commie-sion member sri khalnayak sen recently got accorded mucho space to opine on why Indian needs to do away with the sedition laws only...

Providing aid and comfort to a known enemy (I hope all Indians can agree the ISI/PA is one) cannot be decriminalized, no sir.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

In the Islamic Republic of Pakistan which claims itself to be the world’s first IEDlogical Muslim State, the Mohammadden holy month of Ramzan / Ramadan continues to have no power in persuading followers of that religion in that country that holy months of what is claimed to be a religion of peace ought to be marked by a tamping down of the level of violence.

Mohammadden on Mohammadden violence persists during Ramzan / Ramadan and 11 more were killed in ethno-political violence in Karachi yesterday (Saturday):

Karachi violence death toll reaches 11
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhishek_sharma wrote:
brihaspati wrote: Traders and mercantile interests from Indian side will of course look at their profits - and as they have done before in historical periods - at one point they will see "economic" interests must override "narrow" and "parochial" concerns of "nationalism".
+1. Exactly. We will create a Pakistan lobby in India which will speak for its Paki customers. They will go ahead and blame India (and Indian army in J&K) for all Indo-Pak problems. sabse bada rupaiya.

And the rich have more "free speech" than ordinary people. It follows that their concerns will affect (and shape) Indian foreign policy.
In my view these opinions have merit, but the lack of official trade is leading to a situation of "phoney disengagement" in which smuggling and trade via third parties continues unabated while there is the debate about all the bad things that trade will do as a consequence of basic weak nationalism among Indians.

As I see it the same weak nationalism exists with or without trade. In the absence of trade that weak nationalism and need to make profits merely goes through other channels - some legal and some illegal. So we are caught in a pincer of "heads we lose, tails they win."

In my view the trade that should be allowed is "border trade". The economy of the border regions should be allowed some leeway to develop links across the border. The idea is to have some influence on a strip of Pakistan that is say 1000 km long as the border and perhaps 20 km deep. A country like the USA which has a strong central suthority (Federal or state level) can make policies that can be implemented almost all the way along its borders, restricting trade or influence from a neighbouring country - say Mexico. Pakistan has a weak center and various parts of Pakistan are spinning in their own orbits. The idea of trade is to bite off chunks of Pakistan without conflict and bring those areas under the ambit of Indian influence. This definitely cannot be done by "free trade". but even restricted trade under an "MFN" type agreement can be used to develop influence along a border strip of Pakistan because India has now become just that much better than Pakistan and its has just that much more to entice or hold back to develop influence.

i see the structure of Pakistan's 175 million as being far from a centrally controlled monolith. Millions of people belong to multiple camps and loyalties starting from the army, to feudal lord politicians, ethnic parties, tribes, castes, religions denominations and jihadii groups. Leadership of Pakistanis has become a free for all where even the US and China are vying for a place in Pakistani loyalties. India too must vie for a place in winning over some loyalties in Pakistan. I suggest that India's biggest strength and opportunity to do that would be in a strip of Pakistan extending about 20Km deep from the Indian border.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

shiv wrote: In my view these opinions have merit, but the lack of official trade is leading to a situation of "phoney disengagement" in which smuggling and trade via third parties continues unabated while there is the debate about all the bad things that trade will do as a consequence of basic weak nationalism among Indians. .
I agree. I don't understand why our banks cannot fund Bollywood movies. It is strange that we have to depend on Dawood and Tiger Memon for funding our movies.
shiv wrote: As I see it the same weak nationalism exists with or without trade. In the absence of trade that weak nationalism and need to make profits merely goes through other channels - some legal and some illegal. So we are caught in a pincer of "heads we lose, tails they win."
Right. Some of the best examples of this weak nationalism are seen in Bombay. Bombay police used to release the associates of Dawood/Chota Shakeel/etc for a few lakh rupees. We can discuss some other examples but they would be OT here.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gus wrote:
RamaY wrote:Naaaa.... US is scared of Pakis. They would not only do nothing to Pakis and instead would restart military aid. I bet $5.
sarcasm much :wink:

I take that bet. Show me an act of clear retaliation for this on the people who ordered this attack, and I will paypal you that $5.

I predict that nothing much is going to happen. Nothing visible happened when Pakis soosai attacked that CIA Afg chief woman too. Did they get any ISI bigwig for that? correct me if I am wrong...
Interesting speculation.

Ultimately everything evolves. Mistakes made by the LeT on 26/11 are not repeated in German Bakery and Mumbai

Mistakes made on 9-11 are not repeated in the decade of war after that until recently. One would expet the Pakistanis to have done their homework well and the shoot down, if it really was that, will be deniable. In any case the Pakistais are wise enough to hit the Americans hardest in Afghanistan so they can claim that this is an Afghan problem. Coming on the ehels of the US's recent economic stories - the reactions should be interesting. Also goes to show how useless F-22s, or even drones are in this kind of war that depends more on elint and humint.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shiv, I wish you had posted the news of the Kupwara incident a few days ago for it is turning out to be much worse.