BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Sure will send the email. Please forward the email to other stakeholders at brf.

Meanwhile, There is no need for you to move my posts, and there is no need for you to guess that I meant to post something where you think I meant to post.

If you think that this thread is best place to put my feedback about "pattern" you asked, I will be more than happy to oblige you.

Thanks again for not using inappropriate and insulting language for fellow brf members in the above post.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Amber G. wrote: Meanwhile, There is no need for you to move my posts, and there is no need for you to guess that I meant to post something where you think I meant to post.
Relax. That message was for a user Will whose post I moved to the BR main site feedback thread. Jeez..
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Can't we have a separate TSP-centric Sub forum within the Stra. Section, for those who are not obsessed with TSP and more intrested in India's internal dynamics or relations with the civilized world. TSP related threads just crowds out the others it seems.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

It would probably be easier if there was a thread ignore function. I don't know if phpbb has that feature. Users could simply mark certain threads such that they don't have to see them at all.
Abhijit
BRFite

Post by Abhijit »

SOS, Mayday gentle BR folks. For some unfathomable reason, I caanot connect to BRF from my home - it errors out saying connection timed out (i tried with windows vista, windows 7, mac, iPhone, macbook). From almost anyehere else, I can get a connection. Please help. I am getting super serious withdrawal symptoms because of this separation from BRF. I can get the main BR page, i can get almost any other website but BRF stubbornly refuses to be loaded. please help. I am going to post this in nukkad also.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Forum seems to be hacked going by the way some threads with new auto users are appearing with sleazy messages
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Bredators have sent a mail to gentlemard account; plijj to bear with the spelling mistakes as I was high on zam zam when the mail was composed. :oops:
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

BRedators,
Should we be concerned with the amount of spam attacks happening here??
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Bala Vignesh wrote:BRedators,
Should we be concerned with the amount of spam attacks happening here??
Such is the duniya-e-internet saar, learn to enjoy it. Its more of a headache for us mods.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Please disallow red font; it hurts my eyes. Some people highlight parts of news stories in red and I just have to skip reading it.

Thank you.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

How do I send private messages to select members
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Jarita wrote:How do I send private messages to select members
Members cannot send PMs to other members. Only mods/admins can.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

oh! pity
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Sir

Your "Top Stories" section is getting slow to update. Please pay a bit more attention to it.

Thanks
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Archan: I hope this is the thread you meant as 'appropriate' thread. I responded to you in whine thread since you commented on my comment in that thread. And my response has nothing to do with you being a moderator but just a user - i had a simple 'whine' for fun due to performance of TI in Eng, but you responded with 'sirf kaleja phata.., khair mano' comment on it. I felt it was an inappropriate implication and hence made my comment in response. Nothing to do with you being moderator though (yes, your language has been called in question by AmberG specifically because you are a moderator). In my view your action on my post is unwarranted. Whether changed or not, wanted you to know what I was responding to and why.

Again if this is not the appropriate thread then it is an honest mistake. Please advice on the right one.
Bhaskar_T
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar_T »

Yes .. I agree with Hari .. On a quick recall, I can count that I missed the following 3 bits in the 'top stories section' - The Mig crash, the Jaguar crash and China "gifting" J-10B to Pakistan .. (Is there a new IAF chief now ? If yes, then I think that also didn't show up)
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

What is the procedure to get registered e-mail id changed? Just remembered that e-mail id I had signed up with will no longer be accessible either starting tomorrow or ending tomorrow.

Sorry for the late intimation. Please guide.

TIA
Last edited by archan on 24 Aug 2011 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please check your PM inbox and respond.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

sent you an email, Sir
Last edited by archan on 24 Aug 2011 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email address changed.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Thank you Sir.

Also if it is appropriate, can a new thread be started consisting of all posts starting this post in the Indian Defence Websites Watch
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 6#p1152116

this way the issue gets the focus it deserves and also the original purpose of the thread would not get deviated due to the nature of discussion that now ensued there JMT
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Webmaster, please take note of this if you haven't already: Apache 2.2.20 released to fix DoS vulnerability
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

:(( RSS/Atom
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

hnair wrote::(( RSS/Atom
What's that? are you trying to spread communal propaganda using Intel's weak processor here?

:mrgreen:
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

was it that obvious? :oops:
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

RSS has been enabled for quite a while now.. check if your browser's RSS button can show feeds?

eg: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/feed.php?f=3&t=5360
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

hey..... you are right. How come I missed that memo?

Muchas gracias
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

admins may have features like a push of a button on a post that redirects them to "out of topic" thread.. that way, the urge to respond to OTs can be diverted too.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I think we are seeing many topics that is best left out of a Military and Strategy forum. IMO, the moderators and webmasters should revisit the issue and prune some of the dhaagas/topics. I have been guilty, and am, for participating in several of those threads.

my 2 naya paisa.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

SwamyG, pl see your PM.
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

BRF needs SEO (Search Engine Optimization) overhaul. It's apparent that no such attempts have been made till date. But now is the time as other fake forums are posing the challenge.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

nukavarapu wrote:Jagan -- Sorry for the headache, does BRF support https:? especially for the forums? If no, is there a plan to do so in future?
nukavarapu, why do you suggest that BR needs https protocol ?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

nukavarapu wrote:Jagan -- Sorry for the headache, does BRF support https:? especially for the forums? If no, is there a plan to do so in future?
hm. no plans currently for it.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

The twitter slot on front page is a welcome change. Could we also have a link to the FB page?
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

nukavarapu wrote:
SSridhar wrote: nukavarapu, why do you suggest that BR needs https protocol ?
Can't disclose the exact reasons, but just to ensure that my communications are not being eavesdropped.
Well is it not the exact reason? To avoid Plain-Text Form Based Authentication and everything goes over SSL.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

I understand the concerns regarding security and privacy..

Implementing SSL has an additional overhead for the Server. Implementing it beyond authentication is not feasible.

I would advise people to use throwaway passwords and user handles for forum registration and authentication. In the rare event that a site is hacked or the DB is compromised (like it happened with IDF) members wont lose anything.

BTW even if a DB is compromised, the best the hacker will get is your email and a user handle. the password is encrypted as well. There is a possiblity that they can use the encrypted string against some list of common passwords/words and figure out what it is, but it is too much work. Never have the same password that you have for emails, bank accounts etc with forums
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

nukavarapu wrote:
I think he is referring to external search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo. When we search for some really informative posts, that are posted on BRF, using these search engines, the first links that show up are P@k def etc. SEO can help BRF show up more regularly and with higher page priority when using these search engines. That can also help attract genuine mujahids to BRF instead of them getting misguided and leading to porki forums.
Exactly. I can't emphasis enough the power of SEO. It's a technique through which 90% of online companies/forums/organizations etc. reach their target audience/customer. BRF has done phenomenally well even without doing it. That's because sheer number of hits it gets everyday. But now is the time to do it as I said earlier. Because of the high usage of BRF SEO will start showing results in few days only.

BRF is the "superpower" of Indian military forum and we want it to remain there. So rather be proactive as US Government than being retroactive as Indian Government 8)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

nukavarapu wrote:Jagan Gaaru & Pandyan Gaaru,

My concern is not with BRF getting hacked. But recently some things have come to my notice which I can't discuss openly and which is not related to BRF at all. I am worried about data transmissions being monitored. There are some threads, where we post really explicit content which can be very anti govermand or anti state, but those are posted in those threads which are only accessible to registered BRF users and I verified that those threads don't even show up in search engines, both external and internal that is. The only thing left is man in middle situations. Thats all I can discuss right now!

I get what you are saying.. situations like at work where there is an element of the transmission being monitored by employers..
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^
Saarji, you could always install a self-signed (snake-oil) SSL cert, if BRF can't afford a secure cert certified by a certificate authority. It will bring up a prompt that the site is using an unsigned certificate, but once the user accepts the cert, the transmission will be encrypted between the end-points (though any monitoring software can tell that there is a cpnnection request going to BRF's IP, but that's all they can tell), just as if it were a signed cert.

That way, you can provide both http:// as well as https:// options to the users.
bharatreddybrp
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bharatreddybrp »

Dear Mods, I need a little help.
My grandfather is an ex serviceman, he was in the British Indian Army and was in service during the second world war.
He was deployed in the Burma theatre of operations.

My grandfather died 20 years back.
I am trying to trace out the regiment/battalion he was into and where probably his unit may have been deployed.
All his service related id books etc have been disposed off after his death. So there is no way for me to trace out his service details.
Except for a name i do not have anything to begin my search.

Could the mods guide me to someone / organization that may help me in tracing out the details as i am completely unaware of the service organizations and not from a military background

His name consists of 4 words and is unique and there would not be another person in the service with a similar name.
Reason being is that he got the name of his village included in his actual name to distinguish his name from others in the army.
And none others who joined him and served with him had the village name included in their names. So i am bit hopefull that there is a slight chance to trace his records based on his name.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

bharat, there must be something from his days? medals? photos? some written record? without anything but just the name it will be almost impossible .. sorry if this reply sounds disappointing..
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Bharat,maybe try the British Library:

http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion ... cehub.html