Bangladesh News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Re: Bangladesh News and Discussion

Post by brihaspati »

SwamyG wrote:
brihaspati wrote:Nah, I keep it general - while some, like you, jump to make it personal! :P
Personal is better. You take my point and extrapolate/generalize to include "Indians". With verbal gymnastics, you make it appear that you are above personality, you are not :mrgreen: Your whatever-reason led you to hastily generalize; if you had seen the first 3 lines of Rahul's post he talks about how he plans to write about not just BD but Nepal and Srilanka too. So why conclude that I was talking about just BD? Did it not occur to you that I might have interests in the other two country too?
So you are saying that we should not even try to rise above making things "personal" even if such trying is not entirely successful in the eye of the beholder? Okay! But are you also saying that you were excluding BD from your "talk" - which makes talking about BD in counter or extension - a "crime"?
You say
Why is it that Indians always fall for the propaganda, that because Pak and proto-BD went to war with each other on certain issues, or that they have differences in language or some aspects of culture - means that they differ from each other in all other aspects too?
You highlight differences in language which is specific and then add the words "some aspects". 'Some' is not quanitified; then you complicate or should I say make it vague by using the word 'all' in the next sentence. You deliberately are not specific because it suits your line of argument. Oh wait a minute you already used the words "certain issues". So what are these "certain", "some" and "all" saying to us?
Oh - for lack of being "specific" - apologies! But is the above not an example of "verbal gymnastics"?

For the previous few pages of this thread, the "specifics" have been discussed with or without banter. This discussion on this thread goes back even further - with "specifics" of "Rabindrasangeet-Rabindrasahitya/details of language use/dress/identity overlap" discussed threadbare. Islam/Islamism/language politics/land politics/Islam inspired genocide/electoral evidence of Islamist strength/ of BD all have been repeatedly brought up in details by me, independently as well as in response to another poster. I was under the impression that people read up on a topic in the thread before "jumping" to accuse a poster of not being specific.

In any case, some examples of specifics a few pages back, just in case it becomes too tiring to look up previous detailed posts: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 9#p1125899
Again selective reference to "empirical" propaganda - that apparently support the hopeful projections of the appeasers. In this forum references were also given to counter-opinion - from researchers acknowledged to be "academic" by a BD poster - who claimed based on his "empirical research" that BD may actually lose out on certain sectors. But of course those other aspects have to be ignored.

India created an independent BD, or helped to create one, but the torture, rape and genocide of hindus in BD continued. Within 3 short years, the Islamists could reassert themselves overwhelmingly. India was used by one faction of Islamists [the founding father was a disciple of Suhrawardy - who was instrumental in pushing for the ML agenda as well as the planned 1946 assault on Hindus]. The islamists networks and infrastructure has only gained strength as time has gone by. BD society is equally divided between die-hard anti-Hindu anti-India Islamists, and opportunist Islamists - who would pretend to be sympathetic towards "secularism" if it helps them in their intra-Islamic factional fights, or gain concessions from India. I have already quoted one policy paper - which urges "to build an image of secularists" even though "the majority is devout Muslim". The implication of this Freudian slip was pointed out by me - but those blinded by a need to uphold the Nehruvian anti-Bengali-Hindu anti-Punjabi-Sikh doctrine of the Delhi based Congress coterie - do find it impossible to grasp.

We are always being told by Nehruvian bootlickers, that in time, with more concessions and "tolerance", the genocide of BD Hindus or Buddhists will stop. In a way, BD uses the "Hindu" population as a kind of ransom or hostage - so that mere reduction in the rate of increase of atrocities is a bargaining chip - or the Nehruvian bootlickers use that as an excuse to concede or gift the BD Islamists.

The reality of this transit game should be understood. BD has upped the ante so much so that India is basically on the backfoot - and having to clarify and endorse the restrictions on which India will operate. So it will onlee be about some goods flow, but if BD cannot make a huge profit out of it - forget it. Moreover the issue will be revisited once the BD regime changes.

People here deliberately ignore the significance of the fact that the recent Constitutional amendment retained the Islamist salutation in the Constitution, in spite of apparently majority of "civil society" consultants advised a return to the 72 version which did not have the salutation. Now the addition of guaranteeing equal religious rights to non-Muslims has been the onlee change from the previous Constitution - and since the islamists and BNP groups still finds this modification objectionable - it implies that the Islamists do not want "such equal rights".

Do not ignore the strength of the hardline islamists - they get roughly equal votes compared to the opportunist Islamists, when the different blocks are combined together. This was the reason, the civil war was a virtual tie, with Pak's defeat in the eastern front tipping the balance. As soon as the IA retreated, the Islamists reasserted themselves. The picture has never really changed from that. I quoted a Frontline report from 10 years before which uncannily describes all of the features still taking place at the moment.

Business or no-business, land or no-land, concessions or no-concession, keeping silent on Islamista trocities on Hindus in BD or not, investments or not - Islamists will pool together as and when they feel stronger - both the opportunist and the hardliners, against India and their ubiquitous focus of hatred the "Hindu".

There were many Bengali Hindu elite - especially from the forward castes who joined the islamists and tortured Hindus with a vengeance -and tried to prove themselves more Mussalman than the converters themselves - like Kalapahar or the many "Muslim" Zamindars and rajahs who converted from Hinduism. We are seeing modern versions of the same mentality. Anyone who talks of giving up territory to BD, or supporting infrastructure and inputs that will ultimately go into Islamic strengthening - are traitors, plain and simple, to India. They can have overt legitimacy from the Nehruvian continuity of stranglehold on the rashtra as transferred by the Brits, but that still does not detract from the fact of their being traitors - in the model of people like Kalapahar.

When the time of reckoning comes, we should have these people investigated and tried.
Irrespective of Islam or not, India needs to pocket BD. It is in India's interest to always keep its neighbors friendly. Is it fair? Not. But that is reality.
Now what is the bolded part saying to us? India's interest is in "always" keeping its neighbors "friendly" even if it is not "fair'. If that keeping friendly demands concessions in territorial terms - then by your claim, that demand must be met even if it is not "fair". So you do not have to say anything "specific" about concessions on land say- and you can deliberately keep it vague - because you include all possible "concessions" in your "always keep its neighbors friendly" stipulation?
Anindya
BRFite

Post by Anindya »

Brihaspati - a few weeks ago, you'd mentioned provided a piece of data along the lines of 49 million non muslims missing in Bangladesh. Can you repost the reference to this please? If it was not you, my apologies.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Dont know if the joke parade of extensions and hyper-extensions is really over:

After three and a half years' further investigation, Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on June 26 submitted two supplementary charge sheets in two cases pressing charges against 11 new suspects including Lutfozzaman Babar and Matiur Rahman Nizami.

No idea when Golam Sarwar took over from AKM Shamsul Islam as the Chittagong Metropolitan Session’s Judge hearing this case. Seems like Golam Sarwar is in acting capacity, which means a new Judge is in the offing, which means that things could more murkier as days progress. This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the 10 truck arms haul case.

Nobel Prize moment has arrived:
And we feel heartened to note the Indian home minister's assurance that the issues related to Teen Bigha, the enclaves, the undemarcated stretch of border etc, would be finally resolved during the Indian prime minister visit in September.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Bail plea of six of the accused has been rejected. Next hearing is on 8th August. The list of accused is a who's who of the political leadership of Jamaat-BNP and the rashtryia functionaries/professionals/services personnel of BD. It only confirms what I had indicated about BNP-Islamist-Jamaat underlying attitude towards NE India as revealed in a recent TV chat show.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Anindya wrote:Brihaspati - a few weeks ago, you'd mentioned provided a piece of data along the lines of 49 million non muslims missing in Bangladesh. Can you repost the reference to this please? If it was not you, my apologies.
I think I wrote the following : http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 0#p1125970. The figure quoted is estimated 5.3 million. The source is a report of which I have a copy, I am not sure if it is available on the net.

Outmigration of Hindu Minorities : Impact of Vested Property Act by Abul Barkat, Ph.D. and Shafique uz Zaman, Ph.D. Prepared for presentation at the Workshop Organized by The Refugee and Migratory Movements Research Unit, Dhaka, December 30, 1997. The first author is Professor, Economics Department, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, and second author was Associate Professor, Economics Department, University of Dhaka, Dhaka.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

SwamyG wrote: So why conclude that I was talking about just BD? Did it not occur to you that I might have interests in the other two country too?
It is quite a stretch to assume that readers can make the connection when you have not taken the trouble of doing that in your initial post. Us readers and lurkers are not fielding a seventh sense!
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

^^^
+1: i've seen that "excuse" being used before. deliberately be vague and then respond by saying "did I say that? no, I didn't."
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

brihaspati wrote:
Outmigration of Hindu Minorities : Impact of Vested Property Act
First clicky on googal, repository.forcedmigration.org/pdf/?pid=fmo:1797
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Klaus wrote:
SwamyG wrote: So why conclude that I was talking about just BD? Did it not occur to you that I might have interests in the other two country too?
It is quite a stretch to assume that readers can make the connection when you have not taken the trouble of doing that in your initial post. Us readers and lurkers are not fielding a seventh sense!
My reply was specifically addressed to Rahul. If the readers are lazy to not bother checking, then it is their problem. Apart from being lazy, people come here like Lord Labukkudoss to patronize, preach and provide free sermons - all in one liners too.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

^^^ You did address Rahul in that post, no denying that. My point still stands that you did not bother to state that you were talking about Sri Lanka in your initial post. If I'm not mistaken, an analogy of 2 rowdy groups were being drawn, bringing PC and Pak in. You should've mentioned that this analogy applies to the 2 neighboring nations which you may have interests in.

And please be parsimonious with the personal jibes and insults.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:
brihaspati wrote:
Outmigration of Hindu Minorities : Impact of Vested Property Act
First clicky on googal, repository.forcedmigration.org/pdf/?pid=fmo:1797
Thanks.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

It has been stated officially that, besides resolving outstanding issues, a much-awaited deal on the sharing of the waters of the Teesta river, a settlement of the demarcation of the 6.5-mile-long land boundary that has remained unresolved for over three-and-a-half decades, and the exchange of land under adverse possession that has caused intermittent border tensions, could be expected. There are also positive hints of concessions from India on the trade front to help ease the balance of trade.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/ar ... epage=true
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Bangladesh to hand over ULFA leader Chetia to India
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/a ... 319267.ece
“I don’t think there is any obstacle in handing him (Chetia) over to India ... but definitely there are procedures in extraditing someone who is in jail,” Ms. Khatun told PTI.

Actually this is what has been said by the CTG and now, so there is nothing new in this matter. What could happen is that Anup Chetia's asylum case could be disposed of right away, with consensus from Chetia's side also (given that Sasha Chowdhury has met him in the recent past). Then, we could see a majority in the ULFA decision-making apparatus achieved and a peace agreement signed. I am more interested in what is going to be given away on the Indian side to achieve this eventuality. Is it just the throwing away of para-tariff and other institutional barriers or is it just the handing over of contentious border territories or is it more? Anyway..
Indian authorities have given to Dhaka a list of 50 of their nationals, who are now allegedly hiding or detained in Bangladesh, seeking their return. “Anup Chetia’s name is on the top of the list,” Home Secretary Abdus Sobhan Sikder told newsmen.

Anyone can guess any in the top 50 list? I can guess the following: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110314/j ... 709162.jsp
ATTF president Ranjit Debbarma
NLFT president Biswamohan Debbarma
KLO president Jiban Sinha
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

<self deleted>
Last edited by SwamyG on 04 Aug 2011 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Sources said Chetia could be handed over on the basis of an agreement — Transfer of Sentenced Persons and Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters — the neighbours signed during Sheikh Hasina’s visit to India last January.
Dhaka also has to decide what to do with Chetia’s family. His 20-year-old son Sagar Islam and 15-year-old school-going daughter Banya Akhtar are both believed to be in Dhaka.
There you go someone brought out the fact that you cant out-do Poresh Borua by not converting.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110804/j ... 332503.jsp
The 100 persons it wants India to send back include two convicted killers of Bangabandhu Mujibur Rahman and some accused of involvement in a grenade attack on a rally by the ruling Awami League.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Well....some of us here have been suggesting more trade as means to pull BD into our sphere; and lo TSP dhaaga is all talking about trade with TSP :-)
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

BD should give India transit rights to our NE and shared port access at Chittagong pronto, if they really mean business.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Historic Indo-Bangla land pact next month.

Manmohan, Mamata visit to mark what could be a model for resolution of disputes with other neighbours.

India and Bangladesh are set to make history when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh travels to Dhaka on September 5 and signs a land boundary agreement with Bangladeshi counterpart Hasina that finally fulfills the vision laid down by the Indira-Mujib accord of 1974.

Accompanied by West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee, Manmohan Singh, also formally a Rajya Sabha MP from Assam, is expected to find the visit particularly satisfying as it finally resolves issues that have plagued India’s relations with its key neighbour for decades.

Both sides have also reached agreement on the thorny sharing of the Teesta waters, to also be announced during the PM’s visit. Meanwhile, a trade deal is also under consideration by the Indian authorities.

But it is clearly the agreement relating to the 4,096-km border between the two countries (262 km with Assam, 443 km with Meghalaya, 318 km with Mizoram and 856 km with Tripura), that will be the centre-piece of the Manmohan Singh visit to Bangladesh.

The agreement resolves three key issues. First, it demarcates the remaining 2.4 km of the 4,096-km boundary, pending since 1974. Second, it resolves the issue of control of all adverse possessions, of land used by Indians and Bangladeshis which is actually situated in the other country, amounting to about 7,000 acres. Third, it resolves the question of sovereignty of enclaves, which are small pieces of land encircled by the other country on which small populations live; these amount to about 10,000 acres.

The reason the Manmohan-Hasina agreement is so important is because for the first time since 1947 – not counting the ceding of the uninhabited island of Kachhateevu to Sri Lanka in 1974, amounting to only 285 acres, or the so-called “return” of the Haji Pir pass to Pakistan after the 1965 war – India has agreed to give up some of its territory to another country.

Meaning, the map of India, as a result of the Manmohan-Hasina accord will change. A majority of the enclaves, it has been agreed, will be handed over to Bangladesh. Much of the adverse possessions, about 4,000 acres, will come to India.

The matter of the high-profile Angarpota-Dahagram enclave which Bangladesh claims and which lies inside Indian territory — it is connected by a corridor called the Teen Bigha corridor (literally, three bighas of land, about the size of a football field) — has been resolved using a bit of South Asian genius: The road connecting the enclave will now be open 24 hours a day (earlier it was open only from 6 am to 6 pm, or sunrise to sunset), and will be equipped by an automatic signalling system. Bangladeshis will be able to use the road to exit India and enter their country at will. In fact, Hasina has decided to travel there after the accord is signed with Manmohan Singh, to launch a bus service.

Government officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said both governments agreed to streamline the boundary when Hasina visited India in January 2010. She also promised the Indian leadership that Dhaka would not allow its territory to be used by anti-Indian insurgents, a path-breaking promise on which she began to promptly deliver.

United Liberation Front of Asom insurgents like Arabinda Rajkhowa were soon captured in the suburbs of Dhaka and other parts of Bangladesh and handed back to India. In fact, with the visit of an Ulfa team to Delhi this week for talks with the home minister, the final chapters of the Assam insurgency look like they are being written, thanks to Hasina.

As Hasina kept her word on the insurgents, Delhi began an exercise that kept its side of the bargain. Over the past eight months, surveyors, district officials and officials from the Election Commission have quietly criss-crossed each adverse possession and each enclave inside the states neighbouring Bangladesh, primarily West Bengal and Meghalaya, doing a headcount and asking each family whether they wanted to stay with India or become citizens of Bangladesh.

They reported their findings to their state chief secretaries, who in turn reported to recently retired home secretary G K Pillai in Delhi. Pillai coordinated the exercise with the ministry of external affairs, the Border Security Force and the surveyor-general.

The survey of adverse possessions threw up some ticklish situations. For example in Meghalaya, there was a football field, locally used, a ditch and some more land beyond, all of which constituted an adverse possession. The survey concluded the football field and ditch would stay with India, while the piece of land beyond would go to Bangladesh.

As for the people who lived on the enclaves, about 50,000 in all, each was given the option of staying on as citizens of the country in which their enclave was located. Initial trends are that the people have chosen to stay where they’ve always lived. But the option of moving back to India, being duly compensated with land and money, also exists for those people whose enclaves are located inside Bangladesh.

Officials point out that the resolution of the land boundary will pave the way for a resolution of the maritime dispute that arose some years earlier, when Dhaka took India to international arbitration.

Most important, it will strengthen Hasina’s hands and allow her to take further action against her political opponents who accuse her of “selling out” to India all the time. Further, a sharing of the Teesta waters, on the lines of the Ganga water accord – signed when she was last in power in 1996 – will also consolidate her hold on power. It will allow Dhaka, which has already allowed the informal transit of Indian goods through Bangladesh, to make the matter more public.

Clearly, the most significant outcome of the Manmohan-Hasina accord is that it will serve as a role model for the resolution of other boundary disputes that India continues to have with its neighbours. China and India have been in boundary talks since 2003 and if the agreed principles are followed, the map of India will change much more significantly :?: Boundary disputes with Nepal and Myanmar also continue to simmer.

The presence of Mamata Banerjee on Manmohan Singh’s delegation to Dhaka, government sources concede, is significant. They say the earlier Left Front government substantively held up resolution of a boundary agreement since they came to power in 1977, because they thought cheap labour from Bangladesh would impact on Bengal industry.

But with new winds blowing in Bengal, changes are imminent in the Delhi-Dhaka relationship.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Paresh Barua is still "missing". So much so "missing" that his name did not appear in the chargesheet placed before the courts about the Chattagram 10-truck illegal arms shipment case -even though investigating officers claimed that that they included reports on him, but it has not come through the BD gov for some unknown reason. Well BD reticence on Paresh Barua could be related to two possibilities - bringing him "out" could force exposure of connections and role of BD state machinery into NE insurgency that could be damaging to components of BD state that are "untouchable" - such as the army. Second possibility - Baruah is with the Chinese.

As for the "enclaves" - future BD politics will retain claims on "Bangladeshi" territory "gifted" away to India/Hindus and will keep that as a permanent claim. BD politics will also retain the idea that promotion of secession in NE India is in BD interest, and that any concessions about transit can only be acceptable as a future drawing in of the NE Indian areas closer to BD as the regional hub rather than to "India".
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

B'desh rules out inking transit agreement with India
Bangladesh has ruled out inking any transit agreement with India during the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here, even as it said a major treaty on rail and waterways will be signed to increase connectivity.

"No transit agreement will be signed during the visit. We (however) don't need any new agreement on transit either as it is not a new subject," Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's foreign affairs adviser Gowher Rizvi has said.

Speaking to a group of newsmen overnight on the sidelines of an Iftar party, he said that no transit agreement was needed to be signed since Bangladesh and India already had bilateral trade agreement of 1974 that envisaged transit facilities through rail, road and water ways.

Asked about the tentative time to allow India to use the transit facility he said at this moment our roads are not at all ready. First, transit through waterways will be operationalise, then railway and later on road.

But, Rizvi said, the two countries would need to sign protocols to make operational the transit facilities under the 1974 trade agreement while the two countries would also require signing of protocols to make operational Bangladesh's offer to India to use the Chittagong and Mongla seaports.

Asked what was likely to be the outcome of Singh's September 6-7 visit, he said the two neighbours were expected to sign a framework agreement encompassing cooperation in different fields including water, trade, culture and education and a major treaty on railway connectivity in north-eastern Akhaura-Agratala and northwestern Rohanpur- Singabad routes.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sum wrote:B'desh rules out inking transit agreement with India
Bangladesh has ruled out inking any transit agreement with India during the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here, even as it said a major treaty on rail and waterways will be signed to increase connectivity.

"No transit agreement will be signed during the visit. We (however) don't need any new agreement on transit either as it is not a new subject," Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's foreign affairs adviser Gowher Rizvi has said.

Speaking to a group of newsmen overnight on the sidelines of an Iftar party, he said that no transit agreement was needed to be signed since Bangladesh and India already had bilateral trade agreement of 1974 that envisaged transit facilities through rail, road and water ways.

Asked about the tentative time to allow India to use the transit facility he said at this moment our roads are not at all ready. First, transit through waterways will be operationalise, then railway and later on road.

But, Rizvi said, the two countries would need to sign protocols to make operational the transit facilities under the 1974 trade agreement while the two countries would also require signing of protocols to make operational Bangladesh's offer to India to use the Chittagong and Mongla seaports.

Asked what was likely to be the outcome of Singh's September 6-7 visit, he said the two neighbours were expected to sign a framework agreement encompassing cooperation in different fields including water, trade, culture and education and a major treaty on railway connectivity in north-eastern Akhaura-Agratala and northwestern Rohanpur- Singabad routes.

They will just extract the water sharing agreement, a mini IWT if you will, and they will leave it at that.

and more rail access for illegal immigration.

MMS's effort and rani's IG medal, all in vain onlee. :D
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

I came across this 2006 report on corruption in Bangladeshi passport granting services

Passport Delivery Service:A Diagnostic Study
For facilitating an
easy and smooth delivery of passport, they usually take Tk. 800-1500 from each applicant,
out of which they give the office a fixed amount of Tk 500 per passport from which the office
keeps Tk 400, and gives Tk. 100 to the SB police for police verification.
To make their task easy, sometimes brokers persuade applicants to provide
fake addresses places close to Dhaka city, so they can more easily arrange the police
verification report
the renewal of and endorsement on passports are simple and straightforward jobs that
can easily be done by brokers by using counterfeiting materials and imitating the signature of
the concerned official
The survey shows that police verification was done for 82.2% of the applicants. However, it is
seen that carrying out the police verification can depend on who has processed the passport. It
was found that 34.6% and 51.7% applicants did not have a police verification done when their
passport was processed with the help of brokers, and travel/recruiting agencies respectively
while only 5.6% of the applicants, who processed the passport themselves, did not have police
verification.
I am tempted to wonder, how hard would it be for a bengali speaker to go to dhaka for a few weeks, give some bribes and get themselves an authentic passport under a fake identity? :mrgreen: Sounds a bit tempting to me for having an alternate identity :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in my opinion the ulfa chief no longer resides in BD, he would have liquidated and enchased his businesses there when other top brass were caught and moved across to adjacent tract of northern myanmar or yunnan under chinese patronage. if the PLA is protecting him, he can be around a long time without doing anything much, but if he just using cash to buy protection from his new hosts, then GOI should make it known through back channels that $50 mil cash will be given for his custody.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Singha wrote:in my opinion the ulfa chief no longer resides in BD, he would have liquidated and enchased his businesses there when other top brass were caught and moved across to adjacent tract of northern myanmar or yunnan under chinese patronage. if the PLA is protecting him, he can be around a long time without doing anything much, but if he just using cash to buy protection from his new hosts, then GOI should make it known through back channels that $50 mil cash will be given for his custody.
If China denies that ULFA Chief is there, then there is no problem if Indian Authorities kidnap him from China is some covert special forces operation and bring him to India to get justice.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

If China denies that ULFA Chief is there, then there is no problem if Indian Authorities kidnap him from China is some covert special forces operation and bring him to India to get justice.
Do you honestly believe that GoI ( which we have seen over the last so many years) will even dare to think , forget acting on it , of such a thing against China when we have had Pak and BD ( Zia time) doing the same thing all these years and GoI was impotently issuing official demarches?

Surely, we should be more practical knowing our capabilities and general line of thinking of our authorities.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

sum wrote:Surely, we should be more practical knowing our capabilities and general line of thinking of our authorities.
No harm in putting ideas out there! Only if one puts ideas out there, more and more people start thinking of the improbable as possible. And if the GoI is not willing to do what people see as possible, then the party in power makes an impression of impotence and incompetence to the voter.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ And when Zia or some other tinpot comes to power and starts all the needling once again, can we take back this land for their "bad behavior" just like we ceded it for "good behavior" now?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

as the regional superpower, we need to ensure unfriendly regimes never come to power in nepal or BD - ever.

if we cant even do that, the fate of a few border enclaves is the least of our problems.

US meddles in the affairs of nations as far away as chile, so one can say they would never allow mexico to spin into the orbit of a chavez type person.

the benign neglect policy does not work, we have been burnt multiple times by it.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

^^ Monroe Doctrine Indian Version?
Samudragupta
BRFite

Post by Samudragupta »

Mamata Banerjee is not on board the MMS largesse to Bangladesh..she has opted out of the Bangladeshi tour.....Interesting sign.....May be we are on for some surprises when she completes her full tenure.... :)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ She claims that the Teesta treaty to be signed is very harmful for WB and she cant be party to it..Interesting indeed.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

chetak wrote: They will just extract the water sharing agreement, a mini IWT if you will, and they will leave it at that.

and more rail access for illegal immigration.

MMS's effort and rani's IG medal, all in vain onlee. :D
+1.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

Bangladesh purchases two F22-B frigates from China

Bangladesh is buying two the Chinese Jiangwei II (053H3) frigates. The export versions are called the F-22. The 342 foot long Jiangwei II displaces 2,500 tons, and carries an eight cell short range (8.6 kilometers) surface-to-air missile system, two, four cell anti-ship missile systems (200 kilometers range C-803s), one four cell launcher for rocket launched anti-submarine torpedoes, a 76.2mm gun, two 30mm anti-missiles auto-cannon, and a helicopter. Top speed is 50 kilometers an hour, crew size is 170 sailors, and each ship will cost about $200 million.

Bangladesh is expected to get a large discount, in order to improve diplomatic relations with China. The F-22 has proved to be a popular export item, as it provides a lot of warship for the money.

http://www.indiandefence.com/forums/f12 ... ina-10709/
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sum wrote:^^ She claims that the Teesta treaty to be signed is very harmful for WB and she cant be party to it..Interesting indeed.

She has the nads to say it publicly and bluntly. :)

And in the language that can be understood by MMS and his ilk.

We will have to await another wikileaks to see how the saner elements opposed the gifting away of the family silver by head strong dhimmis.

This quick retreat by the GOI has elements that are more than what meets the eye. They seem to have used Didi's objections expeditiously to reverse an untenable position taken perhaps in dhimmi haste by medal receiving extra constitutional authorities. :)

Sweet Teesta of triumph No deal without Bengal consent

The visit, in which Singh has invested too much diplomatic capital but little political foresight, now runs the risk of being overshadowed by Mamata’s boycott and compounding the domestic problems of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. This is the first bilateral visit in 12 years by an Indian Prime Minister to Bangladesh.

A source in the chief minister’s office said in Calcutta this evening: “As of now, both the agreement and her trip stand cancelled. The chief minister was busy communicating with the Centre.”

The source was referring to conversations between the Prime Minister and Mamata and the multiple calls, including from railway minister Dinesh Trivedi who was holding parleys with the Centre, she attended during the day.

Asked about the Teesta controversy, Mamata said: “I will speak when the time comes.”

A clear sign that the Centre was bowing to Mamata emerged when foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai underscored the importance of the “federal scheme of things”.

“The subject of water is a sensitive issue. We have been trying to arrive at an agreement on the Teesta which is acceptable to all parties. In our federal scheme of things, nothing is done or will be done without consultations with the state government. Any agreement that we conclude will have to be acceptable to the state government; at the same time, it would also have to be acceptable to Bangladesh,” he said.

Mathai conspicuously omitted Bengal chief minister’s name from the list of chief ministers travelling to Dhaka tomorrow. The chief ministers of Assam, Mizoram, Tripura and Meghalaya are scheduled to travel with the Prime Minister. Mathai conceded that the presence of the Bengal chief minister in Dhaka would have been “useful”.

In his pre-departure statement, the Prime Minister also confirmed by omission that Mamata would not travel with him to Dhaka tomorrow. Singh she he would be accompanied to Dhaka “by the chief ministers of all the Northeast states neighbouring Bangladesh”.

Bengal chief secretary Samar Ghosh said the government had not received any official confirmation from the Centre on the fate of the water treaty.

In Dhaka, the mood sagged. “I do not see the Teesta deal going anywhere without Banerjee’s consent. We have to understand that even if the deal is signed, its implementation will be West Bengal’s prerogative. If the state government is against the deal, it will remain a mere agreement on paper and will mean nothing. Banerjee’s refusal to come to Bangladesh is a big blow to Hasina who is dealing with the worst crisis of her political career at the moment,” said M. Shahiduzzaman, international relations professor at Dhaka University.

Facing corruption charges, Hasina’s government, much like UPA-II, was banking on a Teesta deal on an equal-sharing basis to provide a breather.

Some analysts refused to believe that a “Bengali” would be able to stay away from the limelight in Bangladesh. “Imagine a situation wherein she lands in Dhaka two hours after Singh -- the media here is most likely to drop Singh’s visit and rush to cover her at the airport. She is a Bengali after all,’ said Imtiaz Ahmed, a political analyst and academic.

Whether Mamata turns up or not, her stand is certain to complicate matters for Hasina. “She will lose face either way. If she doesn’t sign the deal or if she accepts a lower share, the Opposition to pounce on her. Also, Delhi would never want to show Hasina as a loser, they want Hasina to look good for their own benefit. With Mamata refusing to accompany Singh at the last moment, the Prime Minister himself has cut a very weak figure,” Shahiduzzaman said.

“We will be disappointed if she does not come as she is a great friend of Bangladesh. She has a great following in this country and is a close friend of our Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina,” Hasina’s foreign affairs adviser Gawher Rizvi said.

Sources said the central water resources ministry and the Bengal government’s data of the Teesta’s flow in lean season – collected independently of each other – are so divergent that it left the chief minister alarmed enough to refuse to travel to Dhaka.

South Block, made of the Prime Minister’s Office and external affairs ministry, is now blaming the water resources ministry for the confusion. It has cited how boundary enclaves and adverse possessions have been handled smoothly by the ministries of defence and external affairs in consultation with local administrations in Bengal and the Northeast. Water resources minister Pawan Kumar Bansal has been excluded from the Dhaka tour as punishment.

A source said the PMO has to bear the blame for having outsourced the crucial issue to technocrats at the water resources ministry.

Another example perhaps of MMS's cowboy style dhimmi politics??, riding roughshod over pliant ministries?? :D
Last edited by chetak on 06 Sep 2011 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

The congrez and MMS did an overkill in appearing to appease BD too much. This tied up MB's hands. Moreover, she scores politically. I had written pages ago - that she would be under compulsions of a regional nature, and in this case by going against the "Delhi" initiative, she astutely recognizes that the groundswell is going in a different direction compared to the Left and congrez.

I will repeat my warnings :
(1) MB should not be assumed to be pro-congrez forever into the future
(2) MB will be forced to appease intra-state interests, including Islamist, Maoist, and entrenched mercantile networks.
(3) her distance from the congrez will increase, and she may be preparing already for the second term, where the covert congrez inclination to keep the left in sufficient strength as a check on her - she calculates will be more overt. She will try to weaken the congrez.
(4) north Bengal is the contest for control between her and congrez - which means she cannot give in to congrez plans for northern rivers, like Teesta to benefit BD- even though she will invest in the Islamists inside the state. She has kicked congrez solidly politically in the north Bengal bastions of the congrez.

For me (1)+(2)+(3) was clear even before she was elected to power and I wrote so. But the Teesta drama needed explanation within her general pattern of appeasement of islamist interests in the region. This is about the congrez and the left and not really about BD or non-appeasement of Islamists. People should not be overjoyed to think that the patronage scheme of madrassahs etc will be rolled back!
Samudragupta
BRFite

Post by Samudragupta »

Gen Nooruddin conspired to stage coup in Bangladesh
According to whistleblower Wikileaks, quoting leaked cable message of the then US ambassador in Bangladesh, Harry K. Thomas, Lt. General [Retired] Nooruddin Khan, former Chief of Army Staff and Awami League cabinet minister as well as leader of the party "asked for United States Government's support in ending Bangladesh's current [of 2004] administration and bringing a government of national unity consisting of senior leaders of both major parties".

Folloiwing meeting the US ambassador Harry K Thomas in Bangladesh, General [Retired] Nuruddin Khan was quoted saying: "Bangladesh's only way out of dynastic government and the rise of Islamic extremism was to draft a new constitution based on the presidential system that would prevent current Prime Minster Zia or former Prime Minister Hasina from holding office."

He asked for United States Government's support for a two-three year interim government and a constitutional assembly. Ambassador Thomas responded that the US government would not under any circumstances support a coup against the Bangladesh Government, would ensure that any military action against Prime Minister Khaleda Zia would result in sanctions against the successor government.

Gen. Khan responded that Bangladesh's future is hostage to two women who cannot put aside their difference for the nation's sake. He accused the Bangladesh government of bankrupting the military. He said the seven top generals who he derided as the malevolent seven were the Prime Minister's brother [Retired Major Eskander's] classmates and were chosen for their loyalty and not competence. He said that the government had started the politicization of the officer's corps during Khaleda Zia's first term [1991-1996] and that Hasina had accelerated it [1996-2001].

General Nooruddin Khan recommended that General Abu Tayeb Mahammad Zaahirul Alam, commandant of the National Defense College, take charge of the country. He said that General Zahir is a true supporter of democracy and would form a government with competent ministers from both parties for two-three years to improve Bangladesh's weak institutions, draft a new constitution, end corruption and to attract much needed foreign investment before holding internationally observed democratic elections.

General Zahir is a graduate of the British Staff College at Camberley and has traveled extensively, including the U.S. for military conferences. He also served a battalion commander in UNIKOM. Zahir has commanded two brigades and two divisions [most officers only get one command opportunity at each level] and is well respected by colleagues.

He [Gen. Khan] alleged that the BDG fears coups even from its Eskander's batch mates and had sidelined Major General Rokon-Ud-Dowla to the Quartermaster Corps because he was thought to be a threat to the current government [the then government].

General Noor Uddin Khan, a former minister under Sheikh Hasina resigned from the Awami League in early 2004 in frustration with its inability to focus on the future. He accused Hasina of losing her cards after the August 21 attack on the Awami League. Instead of calling for an independent investigation and taking the moral high ground, she insisted on repeated strikes and attempted to bring the government down. She lost popular support and an unintended consequence may be that the Bangladesh government no longer feels compelled to solve the crime, he said.

Khan said that an interim military government is the only alternative to continued dynastic politics. He said that first son Tariq Rahman [son of Prime Khaleda Zia] and his younger brother Arafat Rahman will terrorize the country, extort money from businesses and ruin the economy. He also belittled the political abilities of Hasina's son and sister, asserting they were equally as corrupt and venal as Tareq Rahman and Arafat Rahman.
http://www.weeklyblitz.net/1765/gen-noo ... ge-coup-in
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Transit facility to India not now: Dhaka

It will not be possible to provide transit facility to India before next year, a senior Bangladesh minister said on Tuesday. This is because work on the project cannot be completed early, finance minister A M A Muhith was quoted as saying in the Daily Star newspaper. "We will take time and do not want to do anything in a hurry," Muhith told the daily.

He said deadlines would be set for giving different transit facilities during Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's Dhaka visit that began Tuesday.On Sunday, foreign minister Dipu Moni said that no transit deal will be signed during Manmohan Singh's visit.
But a letter of exchange will be signed, which will mention what Bangladesh will do to make transit facilities effective.

The finance minister said the letter of exchange will mention that transit deal will be signed but defining the routes is not possible at this moment. This will be decided mutually, he added.

At present, there are fixed fees for use of river and rail routes but these will be reviewed and charged on the basis of goods and mileage. This will not be fixed every year, Muhith said.He mentioned that a commission formed to look into these issues was yet to submit its final report.

Nepal and Bhutan will also be allowed to use the two sea ports of Bangladesh -- Chittagong and Mongla. A meeting with the two countries is likely to be held in November.