Discussion on Indian Special Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: Discussion on Indian Special Forces

Post by Raja Bose »

ASPuar wrote:Ugh.. this is terrible... an NSG Commando injured in 26/11.. the government doesnt even want to pay for his treatment which he will require for the rest of his life. Yet there is money for 2G, 3G, CWG and godknowswhatelseji...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7ABLJ-iyYdg/T ... 703735.jpg

Sickening.
Hmm.. :-? I thought PV Mahesh had recovered - he had been temporarily paralyzed (lower body) due to an explosion (he was still wheelchair bound when he got his gallantry award). Some GoI babu is responsible for this - someone who has the intelligence of a donkey and morals of a Paki - the same kind who refused snow scooters for Siachen.

There is a pic of just PV Mahesh, Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Amitendra Singh at NSG - nobody knew then what fate awaited them during 26/11 ops.
nitinr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nitinr »

ASPuar wrote:Ugh.. this is terrible... an NSG Commando injured in 26/11.. the government doesnt even want to pay for his treatment which he will require for the rest of his life. Yet there is money for 2G, 3G, CWG and godknowswhatelseji...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7ABLJ-iyYdg/T ... 703735.jpg

Sickening.
Sorry if it doesnt belong to this thread. But can we pool amongst ourelves (at BRF) and help him with whatever we can. This was done before also. He is in this state because he saved people like us.
Sorry if it doesnt belong here. Admins please move to appropriate thread. thanks.
rajithn
BRFite

Post by rajithn »

nitinr wrote:Sorry if it doesnt belong to this thread. But can we pool amongst ourelves (at BRF) and help him with whatever we can. This was done before also. He is in this state because he saved people like us.
Sorry if it doesnt belong here. Admins please move to appropriate thread. thanks.
Ok. While I would contend that it is the absolute duty of the Army and the GoI to look after our soldiers, considering we dont have that ideal situation now, I would like to thank NitinR for bringing this up.

Let us put our money where our mouth is.

Send me an account number (A BRF account number if we have one). I undertake to contribute Rs. 48,000/- which should take care of a year's treatment of this officer. As long as someone can go there representing BRF and hand over the Banker's cheque. I can send it anytime this week..anyone here want to take responsibility of handing it over on behalf of BRF?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

nitinr and rajithn
Kindly go through this first
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=7&t=5563
rajithn
BRFite

Post by rajithn »

atreya wrote:nitinr and rajithn
Kindly go through this first
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=7&t=5563
Thank you, Atreya. That was dis-heartening to read.

I will find a way to do this personally.

best
R
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_m ... ns_1569114

Mumbai NSG fight a different war- Good living conditions

Commandos of the National Security Guards (NSG), the country’s most elite combat force, stationed at Mumbai have been ‘injured’ fighting a different kind of enemy — mosquitoes and contaminated drinking water.

On July 13, when blasts ripped through the city, more than 25 commandos were on sickbeds and out of action. The reason: the BMC is still to provide the Mumbai unit with a potable water connection. Repeated attempts to get a connection have yielded nothing, a commando said.

After waiting for months, the NSG hub in Marol dug a borewell inside the compound. And commandos have been forced to drink unhygienic water for the past several months. “The water is contaminated and unsuitable for drinking,” he said. “But we have to drink it because the civic body has not provided us with water supply.”

An officer who did not want to be named said more than 25 of the 250 commandos stationed in the unit are suffering from various diseases, mainly because of drinking contaminated water. “Every day for the past six months, 20-25 commandos on an average are down with malaria, typhoid or viral fever,” he said. “The water connection is stuck in red tape.”

When DNA got in touch with the civic body, officials first feigned ignorance and then assured of rapid action. “I did not know that the NSG unit has no water connection,” Ranjeet Dhakne, assistant municipal commissioner (L-ward), said. “I will see to it that the matter is sorted out at the earliest.”
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

It'll take time...I think NSG are deliberately being made to feel unwanted, but politicians cant send them back as well...its a worst situation for which you can curse the politicians on every single drop of blood...
Its extremely inefficient situation...but then you realize you are part of system and you cant jump it, however heroic NSG were or are, finally they are a rank which is no superior to be able to demand answers...
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Not Indian SF but an interesting interview with the Special police unit chief when the Norway rampage was going on

http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 26,00.html
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

yup a real neat ops -
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Col looks like a 24yr old SDRE
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^He looks young - must be in his 30s but supremely fit. Has a KC and SC! :shock: Minor q.: Is this the same guy from Para who scaled Mt. Everest thrice?? Added: If this guy is 21 Para then its most likely the same guy.

In the video, notice the technique in one of the sequences of firing a machine gun from the shoulder - very tough onlee. TFTA US Navy SEALs are very proud that they can fire like that becoz of their pumped-up bulging muscles. Well, it seems skinny SDREs can too. :mrgreen:
Anuj A
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anuj A »

1.04 M4 with fore grip and holographic sights, first time I think this weapon has been seen in service with Indian SF I think.

Indian SF seem to be modernising at a rapid pace- GREAT NEWS!
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
M4 has been with Para SF for more than a decade now. Its just that the Armed forces in general are now attempting to focus more on PR. :-)
SFs like to enhance their skills on as many weapons as possible. For instance, in the NSG museum and you find a plethora of assault rifles ranging from Steyr Aug to SIG 551s.

Here is an old pic of Para SF with M4.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jGpQ0PtBNzE/T ... ArmySF.jpg
sanjeevpunj
BRFite

Post by sanjeevpunj »

Nikhil T wrote:
Col looks like a 24yr old SDRE
24 yr fair and tall perhaps also wheat eating ..........Shekhawat (Rajasthani: शेखावत) is a sub-clan of Kachwaha Rajputs found mainly in Rajasthan, India. The Shekhawat clan claims descent from the great rajput warrior Maharao Shekha Ji.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

sanjeevpunj wrote: 24 yr fair and tall perhaps also wheat eating ..........Shekhawat (Rajasthani: शेखावत) is a sub-clan of Kachwaha Rajputs found mainly in Rajasthan, India. The Shekhawat clan claims descent from the great rajput warrior Maharao Shekha Ji.
Nah , still SDRE for a Paki.By the way don't you know that average height of pakis is 6.5ft.The col is just 6 ft tall.So how can he compare with our pious paki ghazis.Also paki wheat has more protein than Indian wheat.Even our wheat is SDRE compared to paki wheat.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^He looks young - must be in his 30s but supremely fit. Has a KC and SC! :shock: Minor q.: Is this the same guy from Para who scaled Mt. Everest thrice?? Added: If this guy is 21 Para then its most likely the same guy.
Hes visited everest 3 times! now playing on Timesnow
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

AdityaM wrote: Hes visited everest 3 times! now playing on Timesnow
OK then he is the same guy. He is a member of IMF (no, not the lootera monetary fund) and from Jaipur iirc. He is not only the real deal in terms of heroism and skills but also looks badass tough.

Now who is the most bad ass of them all, hain ji? :twisted: Which reminds me of something missing from BR website - a "Special Forces Greats" page.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

The LSV trials were going on for a long time. Indian companies like the Tata's and the Mahindra's were there in the trials. The one that's my favourite is the Mahindra AXE.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... a-axe.html
These vehicles in use will be replaced by the new LSV

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... pport.html
Says the Axe is performing better. So hope that it will be selected even though it may be costlier than the others. Just like the IAF choosing the Rafale and Eurofighter which are better than the others. Similarly lets hope that the best one is selected and our soldiers get the best stuff.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

SF Desert Foxes

[youtube]bil1Db3angM&feature=related[/youtube]
Segment 1, I guess.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Is that some babu or jernail sahib and his family being given a joy ride by the MARCOs?

Damn, wish i had one such opportunity to rub shoulders with the MARCOs!!
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

What kind of boat is that? Never seen it before.

Edited later: Sorry, I didn't see the first pic properly. Thought it was one boat, instead of two
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

sum wrote:^^ Is that some babu or jernail sahib and his family being given a joy ride by the MARCOs?
Damn, wish i had one such opportunity to rub shoulders with the MARCOs!!
Naaw, Babus don't put hteir families in harms way... they are all siting in their cosy drawing room in Dilli sipping $$$$. The civvies probably are some Jernalist. from the look of it, doesn't look like a Jernail (the older gentlemen grinning at the camera) but then looks can be deceptive.

It looks like a fairly large group, traveling in 2 different flat-bottom boats.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Video slideshow of Maj Mohit Sharma's photographs.
http://youtu.be/7YJkPxa1nJY

More pics have been uploaded to the site:
http://www.majormohitsharma.org/
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

thanks gaur

shows how much time he spent in the Valley

sigh what a loss :(
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Yes, a great loss indeed. :(
There is also a video of his Sena Medal Investiture Ceremony.
http://youtu.be/SfVeZPKsAcc
member_19805
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19805 »

Marut wrote:Since everyone seems to have tired out of discussing SG, SFF, Vikas, Est 22, etc and being none the wiser,
I strongly suggest that an RTI query be filed to get the clear picture. It will save a lot of heartburn we see on this thread.

anyone taking this seriously is hereby condemned to endure Surya's secret chants and spells

Lol…for one thing they are all under the Cabinet Secretariat.
The SG being refered to here is actually just one battalion.... that also goes by the name Mavericks 8) …and is actually one of the Vikas units :-o

Being a pure voluntary force,can comprise folks from any arm or service of the IA….diff matter though that most of the blokes who make the cut are usually from the Inf or SF,a typical stint would be bet 2 to 3 yrs.
The Co of the Unit re SG is always a officer from the SF’s
HTH
Cheers
member_19805
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19805 »

Gaur wrote:sum,
The post that you are referring to looks very dodgy to say the least. First of all, Est 22 is not "the special group of SFF". Est 22 is SFF.
Nope...SFF & Special Group come under Estb 22.....which is part of the Cabinet Secretariat
cheers
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Kiki wrote: <SNIP>
Being a pure voluntary force,can comprise folks from any arm or service of the IA….diff matter though that most of the blokes who make the cut are usually from the Inf or SF,a typical stint would be bet 2 to 3 yrs.
The Co of the Unit re SG is always a officer from the SF’s <SNIP>
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Paging Mr. Anderson aka Surya....the Matrix needs to be re-balanced. :P
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I may need to ask for admin rights to only this daaga :)
member_19805
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19805 »

Gaur wrote:Had another interaction with a former PARA SF personnel whom I had mentioned earlier.
Some interesting observations that I think are OK to share.

Regarding 3 months probation:
He said that it was enough. He says it is not as if the volunteer goes for 3 months probation and the training gets any less afterwards. Even after the 3 months, the physical training remains of the same level for the rest of the time he spends in SF. The volunteer knows it. So, if he feels that he will not be able to endure this for years, he will quit himself (there are such cases). And even if the volunteer somehow clears the probation but it is felt that he is not able to keep his fitness..say after 8 months..he will be sent back his parent regiment. But this rarely happens as the guy who is able to endure the probation for 3 months generally gets into the rhythm and acquires the fitness to carry on. So, there is lowering of standards on that count. PARA units do not compromise on that.

Regarding conversion of PARA to PARA SF without Govt sanction
He says this is impossible. This is army and everything (specially this big) has to be done according to the procedure and through the proper channels. He says that it is very likely that the rest of PARA battalions will also be converted to SF but it is impossible that it will be done without proper approval.

Regarding lowering of standards when converting PARA to PARA SF:
He says that is not the case. He says that there is no difference b/n the physical fitness of PARA and PARA SF. There is a small difference of course. Some courses are not available to PARA (I think he mentioned Combat diving as one such course, but I am not 100% sure). Also, there is a small difference in equipment. But in his opinion, this is a very good decision. He says that some SF personnel feel superior to non SF and may say that there is a difference, but it is not the case (note that the person is from SF himself).

More regarding selection procedure and training:
He says that the volunteer cannot volunteer for a particular unit. He cannot even volunteer for SF. He can only volunteer for Parachute Regiment. Then he is given to any para unit depending upon the vacancies. Of course, a chap who has cleared the probation for say..5 PARA, may chose to convert to 1 PARA SF and again go for probation there. But this is rarely done. In fact, this is even looked down upon because of unit loyalty.

Also, regarding free fall jumps like HALO and HAHO. He says that paratroopers from both SF and non SF units can go through them. He says that there are various courses available and the personnel keep on doing different courses for a long time. This is generally done according to one's specialty. Like a person who is natural with demolition will first do courses related to it before going for others.

Regarding SFF and SG
He says that the PARA SF does not have any particular respect for SFF. It is not that they are not good, but it is not enough to impress PARA. Regarding SG, he says that he knows very little regarding the operations of SFF & SG so he cannot comment about that but he told me that the majority of SG come from PARA SF. And it is not as if some radical training is imparted to them there. In fact, he says that no CO likes parting from good men (let alone the best). He says that the men sent to NSG SAG and SG are generally done because of compulsion. He says that going to SG is like just another posting (even though he was using the word "posting", he was almost making it sound as if it was a holiday :-o ).

I know that most of the above is totally contradictory to the general perception. So, I request Surya not to go postal over me. :mrgreen: I am merely posting what the guy told me. Obviously, I have no open source to confirm all this so take it FWIW.

PS: Misc stuff. The person says that the environment and culture of PARA is totally different from the rest of the army. For one, the people are much more close to each other. Eg: When any para (current, former or retired) sees another person wearing Maroon beret he always goes and introduces himself. In fact, it is considered extremely rude not to do so. It does not have to be long lengthy discussion, but a brief introduction is very important.
Also, once a person is from PARA, he is welcomed there even after retirement ( this is true for the regular army as well, but it is totally on a different level for PARACUTE regiment.) They is more like a family. Eg: It has sometimes happened that a retired officer has sent his son to his parent PARA unit during the child's school holidays..just for the purpose of making him fit and disciplined!!!

Added Later:
Surya,
Regarding 21 PARA SF, he again repeated that only the CO and a young officer were able to clear the probation. Apart from them, there was only the unfortunate 2IC who had volunteered. He said that no one from the rest of the MLI unit had volunteered. They had given a choice to do so but they had declined.
However, it is worth noting that the person telling me all this was not from 21 SF.
Absolute BS :evil: .....you really let your imagination run wild mate ....it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you are talking about or for that matter how the armed forces function
member_19805
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19805 »

Kapil wrote:8) I just came into this.

About 21, wasnt 21 the first unit to convert from being a regular Bn into a Para SF one?
Hmm well yes & no....it was the first non Para unit to convert to a SF unit... the first unit to convert was 1 Para which was raised as 1st Punjab
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Kiki wrote:Absolute BS :evil: .....you really let your imagination run wild mate ....it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you are talking about or for that matter how the armed forces function
Gaur made it explicitly clear that he was relating what he learned from an SF officer and not posting information that he observed first hand. Perhaps you should keep that in mind before talking about 'imaginations running wild'.

<snip>
"I am merely posting what the guy told me. Obviously, I have no open source to confirm all this so take it FWIW."
</snip>
member_19805
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19805 »

Viv S wrote:
Kiki wrote:Absolute BS :evil: .....you really let your imagination run wild mate ....it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you are talking about or for that matter how the armed forces function
Gaur made it explicitly clear that he was relating what he learned from an SF officer and not posting information that he observed first hand. Perhaps you should keep that in mind before talking about 'imaginations running wild'.

<snip>
"I am merely posting what the guy told me. Obviously, I have no open source to confirm all this so take it FWIW."
</snip>
What can I say....surely you dont buy all that drivel,the gent has posted above or do you :lol: ...
nonsense + open source :arrow: generally = BS
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Sirji, instead of blanket statements and bad-mouthing respected members ( who were anyways quoting serving SF men), could you shed more light on the "real deal"?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Kiki wrote:What can I say....surely you dont buy all that drivel,the gent has posted above or do you :lol: ...
nonsense + open source :arrow: generally = BS
I have never served in the Parachute Regiment and I don't claim to know any specific facts. But if I did disagree with Gaur, I'd find a way to politely discuss it without getting offensive or personal. Its an open forum but we try to keep things pleasant here.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Kiki wrote: Absolute BS :evil: .....you really let your imagination run wild mate ....it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you are talking about or for that matter how the armed forces function
I never claimed that I have any idea about how Armed Forces function. I was just passing on part of a conversation I had and nothing more. Moreover, I had explicitly stated that I cannot prove any of it and to take it FWIW (for what its worth).
So, if you think that I am an over imaginative liar, why bother replying? Anyway, I am not here to indulge in childish name calling and to win internet arguments. So, this will be my last post to you regarding this. :|

guys,
Thanks for the support, but why encourage the fellow? If he perchance does know something about this subject, too much could be said in the enthusiasm to prove oneself (specially if he is a kid). And if he doesn't know twat, then that is even more of a reason not to encourage him.
member_19805
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19805 »

Viv,Sum,Gaur saab

My sincere apologies if anyone of you has felt offended,cause that was definitely not the intent.
Though wouldn’t it be a lot more intresting if we just stuck to facts,rather than try to create fiction…which seems the case in the post above….I was only pointing towards something which one found hard to digest….

Gaur saab,while this might be the era of the internet…can assure you am not here to score any brownie points

cheers