LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
AdityaEngineer
BRFite -Trainee

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by AdityaEngineer »

Guys a new video on LCA Tejas carrying some old footage though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYeReCbDBA
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nice
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AdityaEngineer wrote:Guys a new video on LCA Tejas carrying some old footage though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYeReCbDBA
Gosh you have done a massive job. Well done. At 6:42 there is a clip of what appears to be the Tejas in a spin test in a wind tunnel.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

I think that IAF should order third batch of 20 LCA Mark 1 to plan and bridge for any delay in Mark-2. It seems that LCA Mark-1 itself a pretty good aircraft compared to legacy Mig-21s which can be phased out more quickly
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

vic wrote:I think that IAF should order third batch of 20 LCA Mark 1 to plan and bridge for any delay in Mark-2. It seems that LCA Mark-1 itself a pretty good aircraft compared to legacy Mig-21s which can be phased out more quickly
I second that, we need to get couple of SQ of LCA inducted and used extensively for CAP.
anandsgh
BRFite

Post by anandsgh »

What the hell is this new about!! Any Idea!

http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/192100/ban ... -dead.html
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

:shock: :shock: :eek: :eek:
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

That is a really sad news and my condolences are with the family of the Pilot.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Rest in Peace, Sqn Ldr (Retd) Baldev Singh (Baldy)
http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2011/08/sing-is-king-baldy-crowned-hals.html
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the only two hotels in nandi hills area I know of is one at the bottom named 'mayura hill view?' and a state govt run inspection bungalow type thing on top. have never seen anyone make overnight stay. anti social elements and drunkards are known to loiter there till late and early morning 'sun worshippers' drive there at dawn.

possibility of murder has to be properly looked at.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

anandsgh wrote:What the hell is this new about!! Any Idea!

http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/192100/ban ... -dead.html
IIRC isn't he the same guy who appeared on NGC program showing IJT Sitara? That episode has a small interview with him as well on IJT's testing.
Indaruta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Indaruta »

I don't think this is a ordinary criminal act....alas we will never know what truly happened. Reminds me of Angad from the first episode of Chanakya TV Serial.
SureshP
BRFite

Post by SureshP »

HAL director Baldev Singh commits suicide
Bangalore, Oct 11,
(IANS):

The 58-year-old Baldev Singh "was found hanging by a tree around noon by passersby near Mirza Circle on way to Nandi Hills and alerted us," Chickballapur Rural Deputy Superintendent of Police S. Chelvaraj told IANS.

"We lowered the body from the tree and identified him to be Baldev Singh of HAL from the credit and debit cards he was carrying in pocket," he said.

Confirming the tragic death of the company’s former chief test pilot and executive director of flight operations, HAL chairman Ashok Nayak said it was too early to say what forced him to take such an extreme step.

“I have no details on what led him to do this, as I am in Delhi. He has been very good at work and I have known him for long as he was our chief test pilot and executive director of flight operations. It is very unfortunate and a great loss to us as he was recently appointed director,” Nayak told IANS.

According to the first information report (FIR) filed by police, Baldev Singh left home around 9 a.m. in the official car and told his driver Rajesh to go to the Bangalore international airport at Devanahalli.

“At a flyover, he told the driver to alight and wait for him and drove the car himself towards Nandi hills saying he had to pick up a friend on the way. When there was no sign of Baldev Singh or response from him till noon, a worried driver reported the matter to the corporate office,” Chelvaraj said, quoting from the FIR.

What appeared to be a pre-meditate move, Baldev Singh took away the driver’s mobile handset saying his phone was not working and asked him to wait near the flyover till he returned.

“On receiving a call from HAL office about one of their directors (Baldev Singh) missing in the area, we sent a wireless message to all the police stations in our jurisdiction and rushed a search party to Nandi hills,” Chelvarj said.

Baldev Singh leaves behind his wife Vibhu and two sons Mohit Singh and Nimit Singh. Mohit lives in Singapore and Nimit in the US. His wife has been ailing for some time.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/197 ... mmits.html
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

vic wrote:I think that IAF should order third batch of 20 LCA Mark 1 to plan and bridge for any delay in Mark-2. It seems that LCA Mark-1 itself a pretty good aircraft compared to legacy Mig-21s which can be phased out more quickly
I hope the IAF is not waiting for the delays so that they can order the super duper MiG 43 which Russians will give free if we buy FAB 87937 and ODBA 09877 bombs. Of course we have to give the money first so that they "complete" the deisgn and testing

K
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

My condolences to his kin ... Oh my God ... Can't believe it ... somehow this great loss seems personal ... It will take some time to sink in!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

shocking news..can hardly believe it. My heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family. I wonder how this will affect the IJT test program, since he was HAL's CTP till recently..
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

one of Indian aviation's most well known faces, I am extremely saddened and puzzled.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

sad.. yes marten you should. just can't reason out except from this link it says his wife has been ailing for sometime.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/HAL-direc ... 56144.aspx

mmm..depressing
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

certainly, if possible please add a link to the natgeo video in which he featured.
Ganesh_S
BRFite

Post by Ganesh_S »

arya wrote:
Ganesh_S wrote:one historical video on HAL. please feel free to delete if already posted or OT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLqpcHBLiA
Guru Ji this is for you :rotfl:
Aarya Gaaru, some kind of nostalgia. Would rather keep it.
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

A sad day indeed. Condolences to the family.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

no groundless speculation please.
Last edited by Rahul M on 13 Oct 2011 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.bharatrakshak.com/NEWS/newsr ... wsid=16039
I would not keep brimstone from tejas away!

bring it on! 8)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a good tool for CAS missions, and pretty cheap vs LGB/AASM. I would imagine we will go for it to equip Tejas , M2K and Jaguars soon.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Very Sad end for such an accomplished son of Bharat. May his soul rest in peace.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

What's also sad is how little there is to report on the LCA.
According to insiders, the new NFTC head wants to stay low-key, while dealing with the media!
Source: Tarmak007
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update :((

LCA-Tejas has completed 1713 Test Flights successfully. (14-Oct-2011).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-209,PV3-301,LSP1-67,LSP2-188,PV5-36,LSP3-43,LSP4-41,LSP5-48)
from
LCA-Tejas has completed 1712 Test Flights successfully. (30-Sep-2011).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-208,PV3-301,LSP1-67,LSP2-188,PV5-36,LSP3-43,LSP4-41,LSP5-48)
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

suryag wrote:Flight test update :((

LCA-Tejas has completed 1713 Test Flights successfully. (14-Oct-2011).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-209,PV3-301,LSP1-67,LSP2-188,PV5-36,LSP3-43,LSP4-41,LSP5-48)
from
LCA-Tejas has completed 1712 Test Flights successfully. (30-Sep-2011).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-208,PV3-301,LSP1-67,LSP2-188,PV5-36,LSP3-43,LSP4-41,LSP5-48)
So there was 1 PV-2 flight in a fortnight. Are the Tests in Pokran over then?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

CSIO develops heads up Display for Naval LCA

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111019/cth1.htm#7
Chandigarh, October 18
Close on the heels of the naval version of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, undergoing ground tests of its engines, another milestone has been accomplished by the Central Scientific Instruments Organisation (CSIO) here by producing a head-up display (HUD) unit for its cockpit.

Two units of the prototype naval HUD have been developed and it is expected to be tested by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) shortly before being integrated into the Tejas’ cockpit.

The CSIO had earlier developed the HUD for the air force version of the Tejas, which has been installed in prototype and limited series production versions of the aircraft. The HUD is an opto-electronic device installed above the cockpit’s instrument panel that superimposes vital flight parameters on the pilot’s vision of the outside world, giving him all requisite information at a glance and without having him to look down inside the cockpit, thus enabling him to fly with his “head up”. Air speed, altitude, weapon status, rate of turn and angle of attack are among parameters displayed on the HUD.

The HUD for the naval version has different technical specifications that the air force version and the operating parameters, cockpit configuration and the pilot’s field of vision are different. In addition, two HUD units have also been fabricated by the CSIO for the HJT-36 trainer developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Nube sawal,

What is the difference between the HUD of the AF version and the Naval version?
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

^Naval LCA has its cockpit redesigned and the nose to droop more for meeting the visibility requirements during carrier takeoffs. This is the main reason the HUD has to be redesigned to be in line with this visibility requirement. The weather conditions and low level flight over seas are also much more stressfull than regular land version. Artificial horizon becomes much more important for sea flying to keep the pilots well oriented at all times.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Tejas LSP-7 all set for its launch
Though the LSP-7 was scheduled to fly in August, the project hit an air pocket when fuel leak was noticed in one of the aircraft during taxiing. “We had to ground the entire Tejas fleet as safety was our top-most priority. We lost the months of May, June, July and August with not much of testing happening,” sources said.
interesting , this may be the reason why there were so less flights this days
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Aap key muh mein ghee shakkar Karan_mc ji. Btw this was reported by tarmak for a mainstream media(express buzz), very constructive report unlike the usual stuff like 1983 and bazillion crore expenditure DDM standard reports. Hope other journos start learning

http://expressbuzz.com/cities/bangalore ... 25950.html
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

24 moths to assemble one aircraft ?? , i think we should outsource Tejas production to private firms , at least they will speed up after few years in production but that does not seem to be case with HAL , who seems to all to happy with kit level assembling (Mki -AJT ) . prime example could be their own home grown product IJT Sitara which is still some years away to gain full production capability
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

I agree. In fact, I think we should disband HAL and sell each vertical (Helo's, Transports, Trainers etc.) to a different Pvt. Ltd. Co., - Tata, Birla, Reliance etc. That way we can have a 45-squadron air force by 2020!

I claim Poe's Law.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

In one of the recent issues of local mags,can't recollect which one,there was a small reference to the fact that the Mk-2 version,because of the modifications would be the equivalent of developing a "new aircraft".Ye Gods!
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

karan_mc wrote:24 moths to assemble one aircraft ?? , i think we should outsource Tejas production to private firms , at least they will speed up after few years in production but that does not seem to be case with HAL , who seems to all to happy with kit level assembling (Mki -AJT ) . prime example could be their own home grown product IJT Sitara which is still some years away to gain full production capability
+1

Any idea whether there has been a talk about outsourcing to private firms? I can't recollect reading anything like that.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

W Selvamurthy on LCA
light combat aircraft costing Rs 150 crore each and had saved three times the funds spent on purchase of aircraft and medium combat aircraft.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Philip wrote:In one of the recent issues of local mags,can't recollect which one,there was a small reference to the fact that the Mk-2 version,because of the modifications would be the equivalent of developing a "new aircraft".Ye Gods!
yeah, looks like those modifications will require several years of testing/development. Doubt we will see the Mk2 in service before 2020. Still we do need to carry on with this project.

What would be nice is if work can be started on the AMCA soon.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^

IF the Mk 2 is to enter service by 2020. Thee there is no reason why the IAF should not buy the Mk 1 in large numbers. Rather then cap the Mk1 orders to first 40 jets.

Let the Mk 1 be built in large numbers and the Mk 2 can come in its own sweet time.

Else the IAF is just repeating the HF 24 experience.

Also, a scaling up of the order for the Mk 1 will allow the Indian avaitation industry to learn how to implement large value project from the scratch, at home.

When it comes to the Tech. Transfer projects, the domestic industry has the foreign partners holding hands at all times. As was teh case with the early MIGs made by the HAL and the early Su 30s. As will be the case with the MMRCA winner which ever it might be.