BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by merlin »

webmaster wrote:Hi Guys,

I have implement SSL connection on the forums server its available for those wishing to use it. Just amend the URL from http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com to https://forums.bharat-rakshak.com. Please report back any issues in this thread.

Regards,
Seetal
Outstanding! My secret desire is finally fulfilled! Many thanks.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

Webmaster pls creation an Android app for the forum as well
ankitash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ankitash »

:(( The forum does not have SEOed urls, plus the design is obsolete and table based :((

I tried creating a TFTA custom style in http://userstyles.org/stylish, but couldn't because of the tables !

Have admins considered moving to Simple Machines Forum or a paid software like Invision Power Board ?
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

aditp wrote:Webmaster pls creation an Android app for the forum as well
What is wrong with using the web browser in your Android phone?

Sorry, I'm not an admin or Webmaster, but I'm just asking to understand how an app would be useful. The best part about a multi-touch capable Android smartphone is that you can pinch to resize tall forum pages to quickly jump to any corner. Most apps are limited in viewing options while the browser is unrestricted.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

@Mods.

Please do note that some posters have made it a specific point to run attacks against me, both here on BRF and elsewhere, very little to do with topic, mostly to do with me as the poster. They discuss at a particular site and elsewhere and gang up here based on that discussion.

Almost deliberate attacks to provoke me into doing something stupid, which after all is not difficult since a normal response to offensive behavior is to "give it back" and when it goes on and on and on. Sigh.....
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Sanku ji, FWIW, I just want to let you know that I thoroughly enjoy your posts and IMO your opinions represent Indian interest in their own right.

Just so you are aware that some here value your opinions no matter what others say.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Thank you Satya-ji, much appreciated.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

Sanku wrote:@Mods.
Please do note that some posters have made it a specific point to run attacks against me, both here on BRF and elsewhere, very little to do with topic, mostly to do with me as the poster. They discuss at a particular site and elsewhere and gang up here based on that discussion.
:shock: Jeez!
Sanku ji, please do not let that effect you in the least, thus effectively putting a spanner in the works. Image
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Sanku wrote:Thank you Satya-ji, much appreciated.
^^I very much second "Truth Seekerjee" here :)

Though one gripe, waiting for your story in full flow since May is a torture I hope you find time to start writing it now :(
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

PratikDas wrote:
aditp wrote:Webmaster pls creation an Android app for the forum as well
What is wrong with using the web browser in your Android phone?

Sorry, I'm not an admin or Webmaster, but I'm just asking to understand how an app would be useful. The best part about a multi-touch capable Android smartphone is that you can pinch to resize tall forum pages to quickly jump to any corner. Most apps are limited in viewing options while the browser is unrestricted.
Greater convenience . Simple. Ofcourse the definition would vary from person to person.

Additionally, lower bandwith usage on expensive 3G connections. In any case a dedicated app can only do the forum some good. No harm atleast.-
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

MODS: I'm having trouble with the scroll bar of the full editor. After I've exhausted the default writing space in the window, evertime I press enter, the cursor moves down but the scroll bar reverts back to previous line and I'm able to see text only to the extent of the size of default window. Please to help. Thanks.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

aditp wrote: -----
Greater convenience . Simple. Ofcourse the definition would vary from person to person.

Additionally, lower bandwith usage on expensive 3G connections. In any case a dedicated app can only do the forum some good. No harm atleast.-
Since no one pays for BR compulsorily, at least I've never paid a cent, who is going to pay for development of an app?

Also, an app can download small versions of large images to save "bandwidth usage on expensive 3G connections" only if those smaller versions exist in the first place. This is achieved by some telecom operators for mobile web browsers through dedicated "web to mobile adaptation" servers like this one. If something doesn't reduce the bandwidth upstream then your app is going to have to download all the data anyway. It might only intelligently resize what it shows on the screen for you. Who will pay for such a server, that too to handle the kind of traffic BR serves?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

BRF needs to improve its counter spam techniques. With the recent spurt in the SPAM threads on the forum and all that. :P

The best counted may be to make the moniters of the Spammers Explode. :P
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

PratikDas wrote:
aditp wrote: -----

Since no one pays for BR compulsorily, at least I've never paid a cent, who is going to pay for development of an app?

Also, an app can download small versions of large images to save "bandwidth usage on expensive 3G connections" only if those smaller versions exist in the first place. This is achieved by some telecom operators for mobile web browsers through dedicated "web to mobile adaptation" servers like this one. If something doesn't reduce the bandwidth upstream then your app is going to have to download all the data anyway. It might only intelligently resize what it shows on the screen for you. Who will pay for such a server, that too to handle the kind of traffic BR serves?
My request is only for enthusiast hobbyists who may be motivated enough to write a free app. Jagan has supported this idea, I am sure many others would also benefit from this. Not being an IT professional, I do not know the technicalities, but just find forum apps better on smartphones than the websites!
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

Katare wrote:

If that was the case than you could have shown little more curtsey instead of telling me to "update my knowledge" I am all "rah-rah" and a troll. All this in your very first post to me, without specifying that you speak as a moderator to me.
(Page 66 in the "India selects Typhoon & Rafale for MMRCA shortlist - Part 2" thread.)

Speaking about courtesy: I clearly remember how you made quite personal and aggresive remarks to Gilles in the thread for Transport Aircraft for the IAF. This was uncalled-for and I didn't like it as I have never seen Gilles use such agressive language.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Webmasters, IMHO we are not at all using the social media to BRF's advantage.

Could we do anything in this end like a "Like" or "+1" feature for our site?

Thanks.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

I find myself unable to venture into the "India-China" thread. IMO, it has the feel of a sandbox and gives a lurker an impression that a pi***ng match is about to start at any instant. Unlike the PRC thread of yore, this one is not even news-heavy.

How is a reasonably serious lurker/poster to contribute or understand PRC?
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

2 feedback for BR:
a) Twitter integration.
b) Like button for BR threads (Facebook integration)
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Need a media watch thread in the strategic forum....I feel it is quite important - both to track movements and trends in the media scene, as well as track threats to media freedom that have emerged recently.

Not sure why the Psy Ops and Media thread was moved to GDF...one possibility is it can be moved back to Strat Forum, or alternatively a new thread could be created that has less focus on the Psy Ops part.

Would appreciate a reply from the moderators.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Hi mods,

Could any of you please change my username to Arun Roperia?

Let me also take this opportunity to write some feedback about this forum.

1. Three cheers to all BR admins and mods. It is a huge source of information and has been well organized. I lurked for over two years before finally deciding to join BRF. Thanks for all your hard work!

2. My first experience with this forum was that its not so user friendly. After I registered, I couldn't find how to change my username (may be because of sheer incompetence on my part?). Then I read somewhere that the account will be automatically erased if you don't post anything for 30 days. I didn't want to post with my real name so I waited for that to happen so that I could re-register with a different name. For my frustration, that never happened.

I'm not complaing, I just wanted to share my experience.

done.

1. welcome ! your appreciation is much appreciated.
2. only mods can change username, this is true for any forum, otherwise you would have utter chaos.
this goes for you as well as any lurker who may be reading this, in case of problems with registration, posting etc get in touch with the mods via gentleman DOT cadet AT gmail DOT kom
regards,
Rahul.
Last edited by Rahul M on 21 Nov 2011 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added comment.
Upendra
BRFite

Post by Upendra »

sohamn wrote:2 feedback for BR:
a) Twitter integration.
b) Like button for BR threads (Facebook integration)
Sites like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube are known to have been seed funded by foreign espionage agencies and user data is accessible to them on a regular basis without warrants or notification to the user, such integration with shady sites may not be in the best interests of forum members.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Also, new users, you don't have to use your real name. In fact I advise against doing that. You are only asked to use a human sounding name which does not have "strings" attached to it (like Shahrukh Khan, Sachin Tendulkar, Gabbar Singh etc).
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

I dont see latest posts of military form on BR home page
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

I just wanted to seek the advice of other members.

Shouldn't we have a forum on the lines of India's Look East policy in Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum. It is one of the most successful Indian foreign policy initiatives.

But since there is already India-Australia forum, we could either change the India-Australia to India-East Asia or have multiple other forums as India-Japan or India-Vietnam and India-South Korea etc.
jiteshn
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jiteshn »

I'd like to make a request to the admin to install a plugin called "tapatalk" in the board forums. It enables the members to engage in the forum discussion from their android or smart phones. Below is an example on how it could look on our phones:

Normally, the forum margin goes out of sync in mobile phones.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Arun Roperia wrote:I just wanted to seek the advice of other members.

Shouldn't we have a forum on the lines of India's Look East policy in Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum. It is one of the most successful Indian foreign policy initiatives.

But since there is already India-Australia forum, we could either change the India-Australia to India-East Asia or have multiple other forums as India-Japan or India-Vietnam and India-South Korea etc.
Arun Roperia, I agree on the need for an 'India - East Asia' thread. Today, this knowledge lies buried under various other country-specific threads. However, I do not think we can subsume Australia or any other such thread under the East Asia thread. Country-specific threads are needed for various other reasons whereas the 'East Asia' thread may address India's overall East Asia strategy. If you can set the objective effectively, please do open a thread with a few initial posts. Let's see how it progresses.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Arjun wrote:Need a media watch thread in the strategic forum....I feel it is quite important - both to track movements and trends in the media scene, as well as track threats to media freedom that have emerged recently.

Not sure why the Psy Ops and Media thread was moved to GDF...one possibility is it can be moved back to Strat Forum, or alternatively a new thread could be created that has less focus on the Psy Ops part.

Would appreciate a reply from the moderators.
Please start it and lets see how it pans out.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it or not but I've been getting the following error a lot of times.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
It seems that the all possible connections get used by other users.

Is the maximum no. of clients set to be too low or BR current infrastructure is inadequate to support the no. of users it currently has or could this be a DOS attack?
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

SSridhar wrote:

Arun Roperia, I agree on the need for an 'India - East Asia' thread. Today, this knowledge lies buried under various other country-specific threads. However, I do not think we can subsume Australia or any other such thread under the East Asia thread. Country-specific threads are needed for various other reasons whereas the 'East Asia' thread may address India's overall East Asia strategy. If you can set the objective effectively, please do open a thread with a few initial posts. Let's see how it progresses.
Thank you SSridhar! Let me start this thread soon.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Second the tapatalk plugin request. With the proliferation of smart phones, tapatalk support would be great!

Arun Roperia

The error you are seeing is due to the daily backup kicking off.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Tanaji wrote:Arun Roperia

The error you are seeing is due to the daily backup kicking off.
Oh, thanks for clarifying!
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

SSridhar wrote:

Hi SSridhar,

I'm sorry for screwing up the India Japan Relations thread. You posted there
there is already a thread. Please use that.
Could you please explain to me like I'm a five year old, which thread are you referring to. I couldn't find any thread related to Japan.

Thanks.

Sorry for the inconvenience !
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

India and Japan: News and Discussion
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &start=600
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Arun Roperia wrote:Thank you SSridhar! Let me start this thread soon.
Arun, please look at the existing 'ASEAN thread' which, by oversight, I missed before asking you to open the new thread.

It is here.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

shravan wrote:India and Japan: News and Discussion
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &start=600
SSridhar wrote:
Arun Roperia wrote:Thank you SSridhar! Let me start this thread soon.
Arun, please look at the existing 'ASEAN thread' which, by oversight, I missed before asking you to open the new thread.

It is here.

Thanks guys. My bad.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

archan wrote:Please start it and lets see how it pans out.
Thanks, have started the thread.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Admins, there seem to be too many spambots creating random threads suddenly. Maybe adding a captcha during registration will help.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is a suggestion I have. It is a serious one (for me) but I doubt if many others will take it seriously.

Given the number of people who genuinely believe that the Indian government or the entire Indian governance set up are spineless, ignorant of what we forum members know and cowardly to boot, and Indian entities such as DRDO, OFB, HAL are incompetent and incapable we really should have a dedicated thread for people to voice their views on these important issues and let others if any to point out counter views.

I believe that BRF is considered friendly by anyone who is able to freely post feelings such as I have listed above. Questioning those feelings makes BRF unfriendly. Surely then the lack of a thread to post popular sentiment makes BRF unfriendly by definition? No?

Anyway a man can try. :D
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

^^^
That thread will become another place for the usual suspects to rave, rant, and whine. And it doesn't guarantee that they'll stop casting aspersions in other threads. The only way out is to report off-topic posts and let the mods take action. By the way, I reported the off-topic posts in the China Military Watch thread.
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

Why do the moderators allow users with handles like wanderer and Salamat Pagi?

Isn't there a clear rule that all user must use "human sounding" names in the forum?