Military Flight Safety

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Military Flight Safety

Post by rohitvats »

From Livefist - The crash site location.

The earlier PIB release about the crash site and operations can be better understood with the above picture. Some excerpts from the PIB report:
Yesterday, on 26 Oct 2011, the Task Force Commander Gp Capt P K Sharma VM, coordinating the search for the missing MiG-29 aircraft and pilot, confirmed locating crash site at 15000’ AMSL above ‘Chokhang’ village in ‘Lahaul’ area. He informed that several components of the aircrafts have been recovered after digging under the snow and rubble. These are being brought down to base camp for proper identification.
The IAF search teams were dropped on the ledge 200m above the suspected crash site at an elevation of 15000’ AMSL. This is about 5000’ above the valley base along village ‘Chokhang’. The ground search party was divided in groups to cover the bowl and the slopes on either side of the ridge where the images had indicated presence of debris. At a gradient of 70-80 degree and in an avalanche prone area, the progress could not have been faster. Eight expert mountaineers including three from Army were dropped on the ledge by helicopter. They spent the night on the ledge with just basic survival gear. Visual reconnaissance of the area by helicopter on subsequent days could not confirm the exact crash site since the area was now covered under fresh snow.

Since 19 Oct the search parties have continued to manually clear the snow and digging the earth on these treacherous slopes using shovels and pickaxes in the area along the lines of impact, in search of the debris. In the mean time, a base camp was set up at 13000’ AMSL on a ledge to provide support to the search party. About 55 personnel in all including expert mountaineers from the IAF, Army and some hired mountaineers are involved in the search of the pilot & debris of the missing aircraft.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

ramana wrote:
bodhi wrote:http://www.bharatrakshak.com/NEWS/newsr ... wsid=16282

Crash site located. Its the same place which the villagers had reported about.

The Search Task Force leader is the same one who earlier got the VM for rescuing people with a helicopter.
Also,
Wg Cdr S K Kutty and Sqn Ldr N Rawat

You guys rock! TRUE INDIAN HEROES. I salute you.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The terrain is so inhospitable. Prayers with Sqdn Ldr. Tomar and his family. :(
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Karan M wrote:The terrain is so inhospitable. Prayers with Sqdn Ldr. Tomar and his family. :(
Can wreckage experts determine if he ejected?
bodhi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bodhi »

**deleted link**

Newbie Question: How was the Su 30 in visual contact of the 2 Migs in the night?
Last edited by Jagan on 31 Oct 2011 08:20, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: link deleted - most people know why.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sigh - why don't you ask the retard who wrote that??

Anyway the pain of Tomar's loss is being felt in both AF and Army circles.
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

Ejection Alarm Systems

Since decades back there have been systems incorporated with Ejection Seat(i.e. MB-H4HA) that reports Ejection of the seat automatically on the VHF Distress Frequency, these systems were called VEER Alarm(VHF Energized Ejection Alarm System).

The motive of this automatic system was that in case the ejection is unplanned i.e. pilot doesn't have time to report his status on R/T, this alarm gets energized just after pulling the handle and the controllers can determine that there has been an ejection of one of their ac and SAR could be activated immediately.

Sometimes such systems cause a false alarm due to loose connections or like-wise in which case the sop is that all ac maintain R/T silence and report ops-normal till it is determined that everything is ok and the ac with the snag is to land asap.

So this brings out the fact that it is very much required to have an automatic ejection alarm system in the fighter ac. A false alarm can easily be detected and singled out, but having to operate a manual alarm has lots of disadvantages.

Since I am no expert on this issue, there are a few questions that I would like to pose here
1. In the above system I mentioned, I found no reference that the VEER Alarm is a part of Ejection Seat, so till that time I would assume that the Tx of the Alarm is a part of ac and it works from the time handle is pulled to the time the ac impacts the ground and the Alarm dis-integrates ( again I don't think that VEER Alarm is anything sturdy as a black box).

2. We all have seen the movie- Behind enemy lines, in which there was a beacon in the ejection seat as well as a handheld R/T in the survival pack.

My info was based on decades old tech. , so what was present in Mig-29 is an open question for us.
saps
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saps »

Veer Alarm, as covered is an ancient system.

I had written in the earlier post about the carriage of SARBE-8 system; if i am correct then i think that almost all the fleet of IAF are likely to get, or in the process of fitting with the system.

ITS a CSAR capable system, pl have a look on the capability of PLB or pilot locator beacon capable of CSAR specs.

There would have been some issues with the carriage or usage of the equipment; no one can discount that or else we would have had tomer amongst us by now.

Terrain is "RUTHLESS" to say the least. Any of you who have been on mountaineering courses on any such terrain would simply understand that its difficult if not impossible to sustain the drive and light of survival if you are injured or incapacitated in such a terrain.

Lets hope for the best, after all miracles do happen.

SARBE-8 is the key word here.
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

Another old tale of an aircraft accident

I mourn for Karthigeyan
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Excellent.

Many thanxs for posting this. Shows how complex is the job of flying and how we should not jump to conclusions at the drop of a hat.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Abhibhushan wrote:Another old tale of an aircraft accident

I mourn for Karthigeyan
That is a gripping write-up of a sad story. I think that for jingos and armchair marshals on BR the story shows what great detail is considered in an accident investigation. The particularly galling accusation made on here that the Air Force does not care is unfair and I mention it only to condemn it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Altair wrote:
Karan M wrote:The terrain is so inhospitable. Prayers with Sqdn Ldr. Tomar and his family. :(
Can wreckage experts determine if he ejected?
Very Easily.

If the cockpit or even a part of it can be examined, there will be enough evidence to detect if the seat has fired.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Shubham wrote:Ejection Alarm Systems

Since decades back there have been systems incorporated with Ejection Seat(i.e. MB-H4HA) that reports Ejection of the seat automatically on the VHF Distress Frequency, these systems were called VEER Alarm(VHF Energized Ejection Alarm System).
The Martin Baker H4HA seat never did have this system in the IN.

Didn't hear of it in the IAF either.
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

Kirans of Suryakirans had the VEER Alarm. In the pic you could read the inscription "Ejection Alarm System" on the panel to the right of stick and bottom of demisting-air conditioning pipe. The toggle switch is also a part of the alarm.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

In addition to the report on Karthigeyan

just see the effort the Air Force and army expend as they continue to look for the young pilot.

A lot of people are risking their lives in such terrain - shows the lengths the armed forces go to
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Search operation comes to a conclusion. Sqn Leader D.S. Tomar's remains have been recovered. :(

http://www.inewsone.com/2011/11/06/miss ... ad-2/88261
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

X-poting from SF thread:

Search operation comes to a conclusion. Sqn Leader D.S. Tomar's remains have been recovered.

http://www.inewsone.com/2011/11/06/miss ... ad-2/88261
May god grant his soul peace and courage to the family.

I guess, the fate of the pilot was a foregone conclusion. The recovery of the body will give some closure to the family.

Must appreciate all the effort put in by the IAF in an extremely difficult terrain and over such a long period.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

rohit

and by Army
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Surya wrote:rohit and by Army
Yup....I think there were men from Ladakh Scouts and HAWS.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

I was reading through similar crashes where combat aircraft crashed into the sides of mountains. This perticular USAF's operation lasted month's until human remains were recovered.

This show's how much difficult these search and recovery missions can be and we are not the first one to face it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._B ... d_recovery
The search for the crash site was conducted by the US Air Force, Colorado Air National Guard and the Civil Air Patrol. A U-2 reconnaissance plane from Beale Air Force Base in California overflew the area and identified five possible sites. Twenty days after Button's aircraft disappeared, an Air Force TH-53A helicopter spotted metal fragments in the snow on Gold Dust Peak. Steep terrain, bad weather, high winds, deep snow, rock slides and avalanches hampered access to the site.[21] Rodents were even found to be chewing through the ropes of recovery personnel.[22] It was several more days before the wreckage was confirmed to be Captain Button's missing A-10. It took another four months to recover the human remains.
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

Sid wrote:I was reading through similar crashes where combat aircraft crashed into the sides of mountains. This perticular USAF's operation lasted month's until human remains were recovered.

This show's how much difficult these search and recovery missions can be and we are not the first one to face it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._B ... d_recovery
The search for the crash site was conducted by the US Air Force, Colorado Air National Guard and the Civil Air Patrol. A U-2 reconnaissance plane from Beale Air Force Base in California overflew the area and identified five possible sites. Twenty days after Button's aircraft disappeared, an Air Force TH-53A helicopter spotted metal fragments in the snow on Gold Dust Peak. Steep terrain, bad weather, high winds, deep snow, rock slides and avalanches hampered access to the site.[21] Rodents were even found to be chewing through the ropes of recovery personnel.[22] It was several more days before the wreckage was confirmed to be Captain Button's missing A-10. It took another four months to recover the human remains.
That incident was 14 years ago.
manu_vashist
BRFite -Trainee

Post by manu_vashist »

RIP Brother
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:
Abhibhushan wrote:Another old tale of an aircraft accident

I mourn for Karthigeyan
That is a gripping write-up of a sad story. I think that for jingos and armchair marshals on BR the story shows what great detail is considered in an accident investigation. The particularly galling accusation made on here that the Air Force does not care is unfair and I mention it only to condemn it.
It was an excellent look on how the CoI works.. amazing reading..
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

X-post:
sum wrote:Another MiG-21 goes down:
14:25 'Flying Coffin' MiG 21crashes in Haryana, no casualties : Just in: A MiG 21, also called a Flying Coffin, has crashed in Sirsa in Haryana. No casualties have been reported.
DDM chips in with "also called a flying coffin".. :roll: :roll:
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Glad the pilot is safe. Let's hope it is not a Bison.
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

On re-reading the previous pages I just realized that there is a false impression that the survival kit stays with the seat on ejection. Let me inform you all that the survival pack including the locator beacon stays linked with the pilots harness through a lanyard when the seat separates from the pilot and his deploying parachute. Therefore, please be assured that an ejected pilot in not required to go hunting for his kit after he touches ground.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Thank goodness the pilot is safe, looks like a technical glitch which was detected pretty early in the sortie. Did the mig-21 have soem onboard semsors to detect the glitch? Don't they have any premission diagnostics tools to check the aircraft. I remember something like this for M2ks.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Shrinivasan wrote:Thank goodness the pilot is safe, looks like a technical glitch which was detected pretty early in the sortie. Did the mig-21 have soem onboard semsors to detect the glitch? Don't they have any premission diagnostics tools to check the aircraft. I remember something like this for M2ks.
No. The MiG 21 has nothing of the sort. That does not mean that all "glitches" will go undetected. Fuel gauge, oil pressure sensors, attitude/altitude sensors, engine RPM, temperature gauges, response of the aircraft to control inputs all give warning signals to the pilot.

The medical analogy is the difference between a paediatrician looking at an infant (pilot in MiG 21) and an adult doctor (modern aircraft). No matter what the illness the child cries, does not eat, and looks sick and will not say exactly what's up. The adult will tell the doctor "I have a pain in my belly/butt/fever"
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

Third Su-30mki crash today, reported just minutes ago near pune in Kashnand village, both pilots safe !
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

3rd or 2nd?
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

sum wrote:3rd or 2nd?
todays the 3rd incident :((

1st on 30 april 09
2nd on 30 nov 09
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

at least the pilots are safe, hope no injuries either.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

X post.

Indian Air force SU-30 MKI crashes in Pune

Spares are a problem here too. I will add more into the issue. keep refreshing after some time.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

13 Navy personnel escape fire
MANGALORE: Thirteen Navy personnel on board the Indian Navy helicopter (IN566), which stopped at Mangalore Airport to refuel, had a providential escape when the fire which erupted near the rotors was swiftly contained by the alert rescue and fire fighting services in Mangalore Airport on Monday.

Mangalore Airport sources said that at 10.45 am the Garuda Indian Navy helicopter (Call sign/registration IN556 type) flying from Cochin to Mumbai landed at Mangalore for refueling.

When the helicopter moved to parking stand 1, smoke was first seen near the rotors and CISF personnel reported the smoke to ATC at 10.56 am. When the smoke which subsequently developed into fire could not be contained with carbon monoxide, the services of Airports Authority of India (AAI) swung into act.

“There was no casualty and all 13 personnel on board were safe,” Mangalore Airport director M R Vasudeva informed. The helicopter was declared not air-worthy and grounded at the Mangalore Airport. The 13 personnel were shifted to Mumbai in a doriner aircraft, sources from the airport told Express.
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

Happens to the best of them! For those who blamed the Russians for faulty cockpit ergonomics in the first Su-30MKI crash, read the Alaska F-22 crash report.

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/ExecSum2011/ ... v%2010.pdf
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

HAL trashes DGCA findings on pilot, manual
Hit by Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)’s findings into the 2010 August Chetak crash, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) launched a strong defence terming some of the comments as “incorrect”.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

:cry:

IAF trainer aircraft crashes near Chennai
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 698637.cms
CHENNAI: A Kiran Trainer Aircraft of IAF today crashed on the outskirts of the city during a routine training sortie, but both the pilots ejected to safety.

The two-seater aircraft, which left the Air Force Station at suburban Tambaram, crashed near Iyancherry village, some 30 km from here, police said.

"A Court of Inquiry has been ordered to find out the reasons for the crash", a Defence Ministry release said.
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

^^ actually i do have dout here.. these aircrafts are for trainers right.. then why Wing Co and Sqn Ldr... doing sorties with trainers..?