Military Multimedia - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Re: Military Multimedia Content

Post by chackojoseph »

Spent some 3 hours at IMS Vikrant. Made a slideshow for aam junta. Jingos can also watch.

=== edited with New Link====
Last edited by chackojoseph on 22 Nov 2011 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Thanks CJ. Lovely.

I first visited the INS Vikrant when it had sailed in from the UK. My uncle was the Cheif Catapult Officer and was in the UK while it was being refitted. He sailed on it into Bombay.

I remember asking him how the a/c aligned themselves for landing since it had to be very precise. Apparantly there was a lamp which was aligned to shine into a mirror and the magnified reflection had to be aligned on the a/cs windscreen and kept there to tell the pilot that he was at the right height and angle so as not to miss the arrestors. Like playing a video game. Phew!

Happy to see the PNS Ghazi's hatch too.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

rajanb,

There was a theater in the MS and it had this old Films Division movie. It showed the mirror reflecting the spotlight. I assume it was early 1970's clip cause it was in B/W. I was trying to record it, but the folks objected. I have gone ample of times to the ship. However, this time I took the images and put it in a slide show (you see, Frontier India is now youtube publisher , i.e we can now monetize videos, sell them to others who want it etc).
member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

chackojoseph wrote:rajanb,

There was a theater in the MS and it had this old Films Division movie. It showed the mirror reflecting the spotlight.
Chacko,

Good video, but in the Opening sequence why is it IMS Vikarant? It should be INS Vikrant no? or am I missing something. Anyways good watch.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Ivanev wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:rajanb,

There was a theater in the MS and it had this old Films Division movie. It showed the mirror reflecting the spotlight.
Chacko,

Good video, but in the Opening sequence why is it IMS Vikarant? It should be INS Vikrant no? or am I missing something. Anyways good watch.

Hell lot of spelling mistake. Uploading again in 5 mins.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

^^^^ I thought it was now the Indian Museum Ship. :mrgreen:
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

NDTV India Hindi Video about Army Air Defence.

Shot at AAD College:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/ndtv-i ... 7532?hphin
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
Thanks for sharing. Even though I am fan of the show anchor for bringing us such wonderful programs I really hope that he stops asking soldiers to perform such theatrics (it was even more noticible in NSG episode). It makes them look crass and unproffessional...almost paki like. But other than that, kudos to the journalist for providing a positive outlook for a change while still reminding people of Govt red tape which needs to be overcome.
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

Gaur wrote:^^
Thanks for sharing. Even though I am fan of the show anchor for bringing us such wonderful programs I really hope that he stops asking soldiers to perform such theatrics (it was even more noticible in NSG episode). It makes them look crass and unproffessional...almost paki like. But other than that, kudos to the journalist for providing a positive outlook for a change while still reminding people of Govt red tape which needs to be overcome.
You are most welcome Saar :D I noticed the theatrics too..... But lets just say that we are getting more presentation savvy and TFTA. :mrgreen:

BRFites cant grudge that, after all we have whined long over how SDRE we were.

Seems now after the (not so) new Parade Style of the Para ( I remember when it was first brought to notice on BRF a senior had said that it was an Indian Gen's wet dream after the Pakis although showing the supremely fit physical condition of the troops), now we have the media depicting our boys TFTA eh Sirji? 8)
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Anti-Aircraft Energy Laser video showing a shoot down of a UAV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10684148
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

anirban_aim wrote:Found this while trawling.....

IAF raid on Tezgaon Airfiled on 04th Dec 71

I'm not sure about the authenticity (though it looks authentic) :?: Clarifications welcome...

Another intresting aside, its posted there by an user called Jagan.... 8) 8)

To my overactive mind that sure seems to be a sign of authenticity or is it?? :D

P.S: Sorry for the watermark...
Caravan's December edition has a nice snippet on the raid (and the immediate photo that was taken of Tezgaon airfield):

http://www.caravanmagazine.in/Story/117 ... rture.html

akula
BRFite -Trainee

Post by akula »

found this three part documentary on SEAL team six. good insights by ex-seals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lYxh2Q ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5JzdOya ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJFxtYu ... re=related

Question to guru's , does IN ( apart from Marcos or within them ) have such an small bunch of elites from the elite forces. And whether Marcos or other existent specialized forces
would be able to carry any of these operations against our neighbors, if required, provided all actionable intelligence and technology is made available.

and any such covert operations being done earlier?
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

NDTV has a '71 report. Not watched it myself, yet, though

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/ndtv-i ... 8691?hphin
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Some random picture of Alfa Speznaz in Action

Russian Alfa SF
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

anirban_aim wrote:NDTV India Hindi Video about Army Air Defence.

Shot at AAD College:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/ndtv-i ... 7532?hphin
Excellent show by NDTV on Army Air Defence , WoW !

Now they say that they have integrated the Bofors L70 with Fly Catcher and i could see a single FC controlling 3-4 Bofors L70 gun , so have they implemented hydraulic control of gun which is controlled by FC , how have they integrated FC with L70 ?

Seems they also use Tunguska to hit ground targets but i am not sure if thats the AAD video.

What ever happened to Spyder isnt that for the IA AAD ?
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

They showed what the forces currently have, hence no akash, no spyder (which will go to iaf) and no mrsam. The f 18 shot is from "behind Enemy lines" movie and the Tungushka firing from you tube. Officers have joined, served and retired using the same equpt in ad...sad state of affairs wrt modernization. AD faces the same issues as Arty but does not get similar attention hence this report was welcome - not that it will melt any hearts in the babu world of MOD.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Not true Jai , the Akash is in pipe line and it takes time to curn out the huge order , Tunguska is relatively new , there is a competition under way for new man portable SAM the old stuff like Sterla ,SA-13 ,Schlika ,SA-6,L-70 are quite effective against most threats we faces , if required these can be selectively modernised , like integration of L-70 with flycatcher. AAD future is far better then Artillery.
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

Saw a new documentary in Hindi on Tejas and LAH (IIRC Fauladi Jahaz) from NDTV. (Same reporter who did documentary on Mig-21)

Regards,
Khambat
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Israel/Indian Spyder SAM
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Eagerly waiting for the ground variant of Astra to be used in such a role. The medium range role being taken over by Akash-1 and 2. The long range interception be done by LRSAM and ERSAM.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

Footage taken from fighter detachment at NASWI with VFA-204.

A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Video giving some info on carrier operations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJqmUX11PI

Interesting 9 min video on aircraft carrier showing other stuff needed to make an effective carrier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vod3Mdve ... re=related
SandeepS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SandeepS »

Austin wrote:
anirban_aim wrote:...

Now they say that they have integrated the Bofors L70 with Fly Catcher and i could see a single FC controlling 3-4 Bofors L70 gun , so have they implemented hydraulic control of gun which is controlled by FC , how have they integrated FC with L70 ?...
Austin, I think you are mistaking the integration of ZU-23/2 with FlyCatcher here. L70/40 have always been radar controlled...earlier with SFM and then with FC. I believe we now have L&T involved in upgrading ZU-23/2 for radar-control to make them all-weather as per Def Expo updates from fellow BRFites. I must add that in late 80's an (I) AD Bde on its own initiative had successfully demonstrated a similar upgrade performed by one its Workshop but it got kicked into the grass by the decision-makers of Arty (as it was then), BEL and Def Min. Sorry there are no public references for this info, so please take it FWIW. It will be interesting to know whether L&T designed it ab-initio or did they build on the design from the AD Bde.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Austin wrote: <SNIP> Now they say that they have integrated the Bofors L70 with Fly Catcher and i could see a single FC controlling 3-4 Bofors L70 gun , so have they implemented hydraulic control of gun which is controlled by FC , how have they integrated FC with L70 ? <SNIP>
Now???.....I played with one such system many-many-many moons ago :mrgreen: Was targeting the AF Mig-21s from nearby base as they went about their sorties...what fun it was to control them guns from the cabin using the PC games like joystick and with fighter on the screen in the middle of cross-hair. :P :mrgreen:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rohitvats wrote:
Austin wrote: <SNIP> Now they say that they have integrated the Bofors L70 with Fly Catcher and i could see a single FC controlling 3-4 Bofors L70 gun , so have they implemented hydraulic control of gun which is controlled by FC , how have they integrated FC with L70 ? <SNIP>
Now???.....I played with one such system many-many-many moons ago :mrgreen: Was targeting the AF Mig-21s from nearby base as they went about their sorties...what fun it was to control them guns from the cabin using the PC games like joystick and with fighter on the screen in the middle of cross-hair. :P :mrgreen:
Remember NatGeos' mission Udaan? Wasn't one of the tasks for the competitors something like this?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^That was the SA-2 systems with AF missile unit. They had to keep the target under track and lock-on for a specified period.
nishu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nishu »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Got this by email a few days ago. Hope not posted earlier

This video is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia.
These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period. The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard. Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates. That was an intentional part of the sea trials.
Try viewing Full Screen – impressive.
No catapult...... No hook ............ It’s a new world out there. It really is.

The shape and scope of warfare – worldwide – just changed.
Think – this new, monster killer aircraft can land in a tennis court and take off from it.

[youtube]Ki86x1WKPmE&feature=colike[/youtube]
varunalh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by varunalh »

^^^^^^

I think I had seen somewhere on the net, the first design of the lift fan system had the doors opening sideways. This one has the huge door open to the front and to the incoming airstream (Concave end facing forwards). I know they would have taken all this into consideration but isnt it like a gaint airbrake, hence requiring more power at takeoff than if the door opened up the other way :-?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

varunalh wrote:^^^^^^

I think I had seen somewhere on the net, the first design of the lift fan system had the doors opening sideways. This one has the huge door open to the front and to the incoming airstream (Concave end facing forwards). I know they would have taken all this into consideration but isnt it like a gaint airbrake, hence requiring more power at takeoff than if the door opened up the other way :-?

At that low take off speed, most of the lift is produced from the vertical thrust of the engine and not by the wing. As it speeds up the lift from the wing increases off loading the engine lift.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chetak wrote:
The shape and scope of warfare – worldwide – just changed.
Think – this new, monster killer aircraft can land in a tennis court and take off from it.
:) Chetak the same words were used for the Harrier 40 years ago.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Surya Kiran, Sarang & Parajumpers performed at an Airshow in Chennai sometime back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCy--0fJUGc

someone can be heard in the background saying the parajumpers don't descend to the ground only because of gravity :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Loved this video! [youtube]32FzNr9cmiQ&fb_source=message[/youtube]