Military Multimedia - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Re: Military Multimedia Content

Post by Gurneesh »

Dunno if real or fake or if it has been posted before :) But is cool nonetheless

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

^^^ Most likely this is the IED attack on M1 Abrams in iraq.

Seems like the IED blew on the side and its impact lifted the Abrams but it kept moving , would have been more interesting to see it longer if the Abrams continued to move or the tracks gave in.

A lot of Abrams were damaged in Iraq but after 2005 the US classified the data and stopped giving numbers.

Not really the tanks fault , the element of surprise always exist with the insurgent
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

What is weird is, why does the other guy keep movin as if nothing has happened? There seems something fake about the video although the toss and fall looks very realistic.
aspdeepak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aspdeepak »

@shiv It seems to be 100% real. It all happened in a moments notice( from the speed the vehicles are travelling), giving the driver of the opposite truck no time to respond. But you can still see the truck is veering off the road at the last frame.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

aspdeepak wrote:@shiv It seems to be 100% real. It all happened in a moments notice( from the speed the vehicles are travelling), giving the driver of the opposite truck no time to respond. But you can still see the truck is veering off the road at the last frame.
Fair enough. I downloaded the animated gif. I will try and convert it into individual frames. What bothers me additionally is how that tank got lifted so much by an explosion that appears well away and ahead of the tank
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shiv wrote:What is weird is, why does the other guy keep movin as if nothing has happened? There seems something fake about the video although the toss and fall looks very realistic.
Shiv i have seen in few Iraq insurgent attack videos ,that the traffic or vehical keeps moving even if the tank or US forces are under attack , no one tries to stop and see or stop and help , most likely they dont want to stop becuase there is a likely hood in any cross fire they would be killed , probably save your life and get out asap.

The other posibility is the IED is probably tirggered remotely by the truck and it belongs to one of them , less likely though.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gurneesh wrote:Dunno if real or fake or if it has been posted before :) But is cool nonetheless

OK - this is very interesting and it does look real to me after doing a frame by frame examination of the animated gif

There are three near simultaneous explosions. The first is the one we see with the yellow flash. A second one to the extreme right and a third that is under the tank - itself. This last explosion is seen lifting the tank but the dirt jumps up later by the side of the tank.
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

shiv wrote: OK - this is very interesting and it does look real to me after doing a frame by frame examination of the animated gif

There are three near simultaneous explosions. The first is the one we see with the yellow flash. A second one to the extreme right and a third that is under the tank - itself. This last explosion is seen lifting the tank but the dirt jumps up later by the side of the tank.
To me it looks like a single powerful IED/mine was placed in a culvert under the road.. :?:

Something like this..

The explosion seems to lift up strips of debris, most likely the concrete pipes..

JM2C :)
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

shiv wrote:
Gurneesh wrote:Dunno if real or fake or if it has been posted before :) But is cool nonetheless

OK - this is very interesting and it does look real to me after doing a frame by frame examination of the animated gif

Shiv, IMO, there was a single explosion and the IED was placed in some underground drain or pipe - the kind which lets water/sewer flow from one side of the road to another. The explosive was placed dead center of the road - but because of open areas towards the either end, venting occured which we can be seen in form of explosion and dirt cloud at each extreme of the road. The upward thrust from the IED lifted the tank. But because of venting, the damage may have been less than planned - may be, only mobility kill.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

+1 each to sudhan and rohitvats. That's what it probably is.
aspdeepak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aspdeepak »

Hello Guys!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Here is the other dimension of the same(most probably) attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er6mOIVw ... 26page%3D2
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY_3JQql1ZQ

This is one of the many videos of an Apache doing its thing on some insurgents. This video intrigued me as the chopper seems to be quite close to the target. The shells fired seem to be travelling flat, instead of the parabolic trajectory they take when fired from afar. The shooting is extremely accurate, the shooter does not seem to have to adjust his aiming to hit the target,and yet the insurgents seem blissfully unaware of the chopper! You can even see one of the dudes skipping across the road.. Is it impossible to hear choppers from a mile away? I live in a place where a lot of small commercial choppers fly overhead every single day. I can hear them very clearly from quite far. Do the apache's have some noise suppression systems?

Sorry if this question/video was posted before..
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Tank vs car bomb
[youtube]SxP91bJQ_B0&feature=related[/youtube]
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

they did a Jai Jawan episode with starlet Anushka Sharma. Her father is in the Army

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/jai-ja ... rma/219921
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

rohitvats wrote:The upward thrust from the IED lifted the tank. But because of venting, the damage may have been less than planned - may be, only mobility kill.
From some one who followed this incident the M1 was damaged but was put in to service after repairs , unfortunately the crew was not that lucky , the driver head was crushed when it hit the roof of compartment and the TC broke his spine though he survived.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote:
rohitvats wrote:The upward thrust from the IED lifted the tank. But because of venting, the damage may have been less than planned - may be, only mobility kill.
From some one who followed this incident the M1 was damaged but was put in to service after repairs , unfortunately the crew was not that lucky , the driver head was crushed when it hit the roof of compartment and the TC broke his spine though he survived.
Not surprised. That acceleration would have been like a 50G maneuver. How much does an M1 weigh? It's front end was lifted clean up until it was almost standing on its tail.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Shiv the M1A1 weighs around ~ 61 T and yes the tank was almost lifted completely in the air , must have been one damn powerful IED.

I think sitting inside the tank might be like sitting in an ambassador car , the latter is heavy and tough but in an accident you would find the car lightly damaged but the person inside it dead due to impact and acceleration, i think the tank crew carries similar risk.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

That analogy is very wrong ... The mass of the car/tank has got nothing to do with survivability ... It is how much of the shock is passed to the passenger and how much is absorbed by the car ... For example an F1 car is built to absorb a lot by breaking as much as possible. This is why MPVs advertise when the seats are suspended from the ceiling as in that position the least amount of shock is passed to the person.

Another criterion is how are things placed ... for example some of the modern supercars which have an engine in the front (not very many) have the cabin and the crumple zone designed in such a way that in case of a severe frontal hit, the engine breaks away and passes underneath the driver and behind the car so as to absorb maximum energy and pass the least of it to the passenger.

In an ambassador the lack of a crumple zone, the lack of collapsible steering and any safety devices (initially) were the cause of injury and death ... there is no such indicator that the M1 is any better or worse than any other tank in terms of crew survivability in case of an 'accident' because the in none of these cases will the hull of any tank deform much to absorb any shock.

And certainly I see no physics which relates mass to anything ... If anything higher the mass, the lower the displacement and so the person inside will been thrown around least.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote: I think sitting inside the tank might be like sitting in an ambassador car , the latter is heavy and tough but in an accident you would find the car lightly damaged but the person inside it dead due to impact and acceleration, i think the tank crew carries similar risk.
Austin I know what you are getting at. You are talking of acceleration/deceleration injuries like an unsecured baby being thrown forward in a car at 20 mph that sustains little damage but the baby does. In fact the people in that tank would have suffered exactly that. But looking at the direction that the tank was thrown up the injuries would have been more like a combination of a bad aircraft ejection and a whiplash. Their spine would have got bent forward and crushed while heads hit any panel in front
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Do they have seatbelts in a tank?
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

neerajb wrote:Do they have seatbelts in a tank?
Watch a film called - Lebanon (2009)

It should be re-named as dummies guide to tank operation :)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

indranilroy point taken much of what you say is technically correct it was just that i was thinking from a different perspective.
shiv wrote:But looking at the direction that the tank was thrown up the injuries would have been more like a combination of a bad aircraft ejection and a whiplash. Their spine would have got bent forward and crushed while heads hit any panel in front
Yeah I was thinking along those lines , this tank most certainly received a sudden huge shock.impact and it was enough to lift the 60 ton monster up for couple of seconds , since as indranilroy rightly mentioned that tanks are not designed to deform ,crumble upon impact the only saving grace would be stuff like suspended seats , rubber liners inside the tank and make be some kind of shock absorbers but even that would give up beyond a point ...the driver does not have much space to manouver compared to the crews inside the turret , so logically he would have also received the greater impact since the front part flew quite high and his head would have crushed against the top cover ... the TC perhaps was the unluck guy , because the other two folks inside namely the gunner and loader did not suffer serious damage.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Austin ji .. actually I am not sure about the level of safety measures taken in a tank to avert trauma to the passengers (I would watch this movie, Lebanon ;-) ) ... but I think it would be a miracle if any of those guys in the video would have made it through that trauma ... and if they did I don't think that they would ever walk :-(.

However, if anybody has the best chance to make it out of there, it would be the guy who has the least room to move ... this is another basic of passenger safety in a car ... the philosophy is that the person should have the smallest distance to accelerate through before hitting anything ... this ensures that the relative momentum of the person with the car is as less as possible and hence the force exerted on the person on impacting anything inside the car is also the least ... this is why in the case of an accident, the seatbelts in a car become tighter and absolutely rigid (through a mini-explosion) to tightly hold the person to the seat ... inspite of this immense tightening, it feels like a whip lash and people are hurt ... The same principle is used by the packers and movers who would absolutely pack the stuff to ensure minimum damage to items during travel by restricting their movement wrt to each other.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I'm no doctor but with a sufficiently large impulse I think a brain will hit the skull from within and haemorrhage.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote:The same principle is used by the packers and movers who would absolutely pack the stuff to ensure minimum damage to items during travel by restricting their movement wrt to each other.
Indranil, nature packs organs only so tight and no tighter so a sudden acceleration/deceleration causes typical well recognized injuries caused by vital organs being torn off moorings due to relative movement. Typical examples are bleeding inside and outside the brain due to veins being torn by relative movement of brain within the skull (can cause instant death). Tears in vital organs like liver, spleen and intestine due to relative movement between movable and fixed parts causing death from minutes to hours later depending on nature of injury. Little or no external injury would be visible if the human is well fixed as you indicate.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

shivji,

I am not contradicting that at all.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Should we invite Inspector Raina to be a part of BR? :)
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

If anyone has seen 'Mirapakaya' telugu movie, you'll see dhruv in awesome colors in the ending scene. Couldn't find it on youtube :(
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

RUSSIAN EXPO ARMS-2011

Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

How come IA didn't order the self propelled howizter/field gun from Russia? If IA ordered T90s, they could have also ordered the self propelled howitzer as well.
VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

Venkarl wrote:If anyone has seen 'Mirapakaya' telugu movie, you'll see dhruv in awesome colors in the ending scene. Couldn't find it on youtube :(
the helicopter in that scene is not dhruv it is Eurocopter EC 145 the only difference from this picture to the one in the movie is nose cone is in black color and also u can see the difference in the main rotor we did not export Dhruvs to Thailand nor any east Asian countries

Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

was posted online
We are the Indian Student Association in Netherlands and I was wondering,If you could suggest some documentary or Video for the Republic day celebrations here.I saw the video on first election in India,which is quite symbolic and impressive,But I would like to have some more suggestions.
can anybody make some suggestions? Thanks

P.S: RD parade on Rajpath streamed live. Also recordings of previous parades available here
http://republicday.nic.in/
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Beating Retreat
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Indian Air Force's newly inducted de Havilland Vampire fighter aircrafts fly into Delhi from Britain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szqg_Vkoi7o

Thank You Surya Sir for the suggestion. Suggested.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Nice Rare clip Hiten, I posted the link on BR FB page - Should turn up on our twitter feed as well.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Hiten wrote:Indian Air Force's newly inducted de Havilland Vampire fighter aircrafts fly into Delhi from Britain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szqg_Vkoi7o

Thank You Surya Sir for the suggestion. Suggested.
Hitenji,
Thanks for sharing such a rare video..
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Videos of taliban getting dispatched to their 72s

First, the venerable TOW.. :twisted:
[youtube]1oqzRk0hlpw&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Next, the legendary JDAM

[youtube]l1OqbwtIPy4&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

:twisted:

This uploader has a lot of interesting videos in his channel..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sudhan wrote: Next, the legendary JDAM
The sound effect when the JDAM explosion is shown for the first time is fake. There should be a time lag between explosion and sound. Of course I fake the sound like this in a lot of my own videos. :wink:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

A Sharma wrote:Women in Army
Brilliant. Will cross post