India Nuclear News and Discussion 4 July 2011

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: India Nuclear News and Discussion 4 July 2011

Post by vishvak »

gakakkad wrote:
“We cannot be cowed down by such undemocratic intimidations, being unleashed by the Congress and Hindu fanatics”.
I am sure the nuclear energy projects in Europe and USA are 'unleashed' by European politicians and Christian fanatics within Europe & USA.

The role of Christian fanatics & political parties in unleashing undemocratic intimidations against nuclear protests must be clearly pre-calculated in any future anti-nuclear protests within Europe.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

gakakkad wrote:

“We cannot be cowed down by such undemocratic intimidations, being unleashed by the Congress and Hindu fanatics”.
I can't believe what I am reading .
You just dont understand political dynamics in TN.In Punjab,Assam,TN,Manipur etc Congress stands for INDIAN nationalism.Inspite of its corruption,manipulation,the Congress stands for a united india accomodating diverse interests.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

'Religious groups should'nt incite anti-nuke protesters'
Referring to the clash between activists of Hindu Munnani and protesters at the fourth round of talks early this week, the minister of state in PMO said, "People rang church bells and invited others to the spot. This is highly regrettable".
Hindu Munani's stand on nuclear & any other technology per se should be highly appreciated.

In fact, Hindu Munani should deliver the benefits of technology from leadership position not only in India but also in other countries, without having to be disturbed by those who take selective credit or give selective debit.

In fact, I would like to present the picture in Europe in nomenclature of people who have learnt a lot of things from Europe itself, thereby saving huge amounts on clarity and exactness.

Here is a website that gives list of nuclear reactors built in Europe by Christian fanatics & politicians.
Nuclear power plants in Europe

However, this should not be taken as generic nomenclature or understanding outside Europe.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Chidambaram seeks support of State government to commission plant
Warns those acting against nation's welfare and development with funding of foreign agencies
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Tummalapalle uranium mine to be commissioned by April.

The Tummalapalle uranium mine located in YSR district of Andhra Pradesh would be commissioned by early April.

The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) has estimated uranium reserves of the mine at 1.5 lakh tonnes, which are one of the largest in the world.

The DAE Spokesperson, Mr S.K. Malhotra, said that the mine is ready but the uranium processing plants are still under construction, which will take another two months to complete. The mine is a part of the Kadapa basin and has significant reserves of uranium therefore the DAE is concentrating its energies on this area.

Mine development is also being carried out at Lambapur-Peddagattu in Nalgonda district of the State.Full fledged exploration for new uranium mines is also under way in the Kadapa basin.Earlier, major thrust was given to the mines around Jaduguda in Jharkhand but over the years, the uranium ore got depleted. The ore reserves will only last another 10 years therefore new ones have to be developed, Mr Malhotra said.

A senior official of Uranium Corporation of India Ltd told Business Line that about 1.1 million tonnes of ore be would be mined a year from Tummalapalle, which after processing would yield 250 tonnes of yellowcake (uranium oxide). This oxide would be further processed and then fed into the nuclear reactor as fuel, the official said.

The global spot market for the yellowcake is ruling at about $100 a kg, therefore the yearly production from the mine can be valued at about $25 million. Rough calculations suggest that from the yellowcake about 8,888 million units of power can be produced, the official said.

The island-city area of Mumbai, which houses the main business district, consumes about 4,300 million units of power a year. So 8,888 million units can supply power to this area for two years. The official added that about Rs 1,100 crore have been invested for developing the mine.

For producing the yellowcake an ‘alkaline leaching process' has been devised by Uranium Corporation, which would be used for the first time in the mine, the official said.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.thestatesman.net/index.php?o ... 6&catid=36
India promises level playing field to US nuke firms
WASHINGTON, 7 FEB: Promising to provide a level playing field to US companies on civilian nuclear deal, visiting foreign secretary Mr Ranjan Mathai has said India is willing to address their specific concerns within the framework of the law passed in this regard by Parliament. “We will provide a level playing field to US companies, and are prepared to address specific concerns of US companies within the framework of that law,” Mr Mathai said in his address at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). “We have the reality of our law passed by our Parliament,” Mr Mathai said at a forum titled “Building on Convergence: Deepening the India-US Strategic Partnership” at the eminent Washington-based think tank. India and the USA, he said, had remained engaged and must now take practical steps to advance this cooperation, as they had done over the past year. “We have just had a round of discussions between our legal experts. The commencement of discussions between the Indian operator, NPCIL, and US companies in regard to an Early Works Agreement is an encouraging development,” said Mr Mathai, who is currently on his first visit to the USA after assuming charge last year.
And co-incidently ,Praise the Lord
http://www.asianage.com/india/protester ... -plant-553
Protesters soften stand on Koodankulam plant
In the wake of the state government constituting a panel to resolve the Koodankulam nuclear power project (KKNPP) issue, the people’s movement against nuclear energy (PMANE) on Monday offered to withdraw the protest if most locals favoured the project. It also demanded that the panel visit all villages and towns that may be affected by the plant.“We hope the team comes to our villages, talks to our people and takes a decision after considering the sentiments of the people. We have no problem if a majority of people in the affected area favours the plant. Our team will step out immediately,” PMANE convenor S.P. Udayakumar told reporters here.However, he warned that PMANE would continue its stir if the locals thought the panel was not doing its job well. He said they would submit a request to chief minister Jayalalithaa that the panel have clear terms of reference, mandate and timeline.Mr Udayakumar said he would file a criminal defamation case against MoS in PMO V. Narayanasamy for alleging that he received money from foreign sources.
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

Freeze forces Germany to restart nuclear reactors: Report
The cold snap gripping Europe has forced Germany, which last year decided to abandon nuclear power, to restart several reactors taken off line, the daily Handelsblatt reports in its Thursday issue.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 814685.cms
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Remove atomic scientist, expand expert panel’

Wonderful, we should have anthropologist for Nuclear Plant??? What a bunch of Morons, nucler scientists should not discuss nuclear plant??
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

vikramd wrote:Freeze forces Germany to restart nuclear reactors: Report
The cold snap gripping Europe has forced Germany, which last year decided to abandon nuclear power, to restart several reactors taken off line, the daily Handelsblatt reports in its Thursday issue.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 814685.cms
Normally I don't like to repost what I've written, but we had this discussion on Germany, no-nook power and winter way back in June last year. This is what I wrote then:
Actually Somnath, in the course of my work I was meeting a German delegation two days ago. I got talking to a guy and obviously I veered to discussion to nuclear power. He was an out and out Green but even he made a very interesting observation.

He said that power was not much of a worry in Germany because during summer months they were power surplus and they pumped the extra power to Eastern Europe and Southern Europe. I then asked him what was the situation during winter. He confessed that during winter, with all the heaters burning, German goes into power deficit and has to import power - not much but had to import nevertheless.

It's funny that he just realised that he had to rush up to his hotel room to make a call when I got around to asking him how solar power would fit into the matrix of surplus during summer, deficit during winter. Of course I pointed out the typical kind of weather in Germany during winters - foggy and snowy, not exactly the ideal condition to generate a lot of solar power.
The discussion can be found here.

I would suggest folks go through a few pages of the discussion then, particularly the assertion by several worthies of how Germany was done with nuclear power and would never turn on their reactors. With solar being the white knight coming to the rescue.

This is not to say solar is unimportant. It is vitally important in an energy mix. However, if you want to have a healthy energy mix there's no getting away from nuclear. More so now for India if you look at the mess that coal is in due to prices at the coal pits.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Following is a discussion with a friend - so take it fwiw:

Germany has had a troubled history with Nuclear power. One must realize that Germany is one of the most densely populated countries. Decades of industrialization have left the country dark-grey with little natural green ( now you know why so many Germans love trekking/hiking) . One must see this with the commissioning of nuclear plants in the 1970s and the rise of the green movement during that time. The government did not consult the people and simply set up plants. So a mix of not being consulted and the vanishing natural greenery was all vented on those big ugly grey nuclear power plants. Nuclear power is the symbol of that resentment . It represents all that was wrong with rapid industrialization.
People are generally ignorant about safety issues. All they cite is "radioation" but probe them further and you will find them a little shallow. German plans of closing plamnts : Fukushima is just a catalyst - I told you so kind of thing. Rational decision? Probably not. Emotional decision? Propbably yes. Correct decision? God knows.

20-25 Cent / kwH is manageable. But price conscious Germans will have to get back home to warm rooms. When 50 cent/kwH looms, I am not so sure if there will be so many people marching in a procession against nuclear power on cold days. They would rather pay 20-25 cents / kwH , look out through frosty windows with their hot Camille/JAsmine tea from their warm rooms powered by "Uran"!
Last edited by Neela on 10 Feb 2012 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Aditya_V wrote:Remove atomic scientist, expand expert panel’

Wonderful, we should have anthropologist for Nuclear Plant??? What a bunch of Morons, nucler scientists should not discuss nuclear plant??

IMVVHO , we should have a Scatologist in the team . Very useful bunch of people , I tell you .
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Neela wrote:All they cite is "radioation" but probe them further and you will find them a little shallow.
Neela, thanks for the anecdote, it matches what my Germans friends have been saying as well.

The point is most anti-nuclear arguments are long on rhetoric and short of facts. Due to this it becomes easy for folks with an agenda to control the rhetoric and stoke irrational fears - which have no bearing to reality - among folks who are intellectually too lazy to really try and understand the issues involved. The current KNPP agitation is a classic example of this. And in India its a double whammy - you can easily incite people and a few hundred can hold millions to ransom due to our democratic approach to everything (please note this is not meant as a criticism of the democratic process, just a statement of fact).

Even on this thread, where one would expect more informed discussions than that which is going on around various churches in and around the KNPP site, we saw how rhetoric repeatedly triumphed facts - by using terminology very similar to those being used now by the KNPP agitators - during the Fukushima Dai'ichi nuclear accident debate. We had some very senior posters - even one who claims to be "always proven right" - claiming that it was only a matter of time before hundreds (and even thousands) of Japanese started to die of radiation poisoning. All I can say is that till date more people died in the Fukushima prefecture due to a dam burst (on account of the earthquake) which swept away 4,000 homes than from the radiation leakage (actually nobody died from radiation poisoning).
20-25 Cent / kwH is manageable. But price conscious Germans will have to get back home to warm rooms. When 50 cent/kwH looms, I am not so sure if there will be so many people marching in a procession against nuclear power on cold days. They would rather pay 20-25 cents / kwH , look out through frosty windows with their hot Camille/JAsmine tea from their warm rooms powered by "Uran"!
In an ideal world, solar and other renewable sources are always preferable to nuclear and coal. However, we haven't yet reached the technological level whereby nuclear and/or coal can be completely replaced by renewable sources especially for proper baseload power in grids. That's a fact of life and one needs to deal with it, however, idealistic one wants to be.

And between coal and nuclear, the latter does not pollute and generates electricity at comparable cost, in some cases even lower. And the fact remains that over the past 60 years or so of nuclear power generation there has only been three major accidents. Of them Chernobyl - according to most written accounts - was due to a totally unviable design (which the Russians themselves have abandonded) and rank bad management. In the other two, Three Mile and Fukushima, nobody actually died as a direct (or indirect) result of the accident.

It's also useful to remember that even in the case of the Gen 1 Fukushima accident, the plant withstood an earthquake which was seven times more powerful than design limit specifications. It also should be noted that current Gen 6 LWRs all incorporate passive cooling - a feature if present at Fukushima could conceivably have prevented the accident.

So bottomline IMVHO till such time the technology gets there, for a healthy energy mix, India cannot afford to say no to nuke power. The sooner all stake holders accept this fact the faster we can move on.

Of course there's always another option: We could start to set up mega gobar gas plants.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

The point is most anti-nuclear arguments are long on rhetoric and short of facts.
you said it. couple of months back when the TN agitations were all over the news, times now had a panel discussion among an AEC member, a lady who headed some environmental org and an anti nuclear 'activist' expert.

the last person, who was an extremely obese lady didn't contribute even an ounce in terms of facts or reasoning but derailed every line of discussion with an extremely loud shout of "FUKUSHIMA" delivered with an animated face (I kid you not). nowhere was it ever hinted, let alone explained how the fukushima event extrapolated to India.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

++++

Fully understand. That's the exact tactic being followed by the TN agitators. And really I fail to understand why the Central govt is allowing things to fester like this. Don't these policy makers realise that they are setting a precedent and every single future N-plant that will be built would be subjected to same treatment by agent provocateurs?

I personally think the Centre is as culpable - through inaction - as the agitation ringleaders.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

amit wrote:++++

Fully understand. That's the exact tactic being followed by the TN agitators. And really I fail to understand why the Central govt is allowing things to fester like this. Don't these policy makers realise that they are setting a precedent and every single future N-plant that will be built would be subjected to same treatment by agent provocateurs?

I personally think the Centre is as culpable - through inaction - as the agitation ringleaders.

These nutty greens exist everywhere . The problem with India is that these nut heads succeed in derailing programs and causing huge loss , thanks to the left tilt of the media . I mean why should the fat lady described by Rahul mullah above be given any importance by the media ? Or any of the self proclaimed nukular egg-spurts like uday kumar , who have not even studied high school science .
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

gakakkad wrote:These nutty greens exist everywhere . The problem with India is that these nut heads succeed in derailing programs and causing huge loss , thanks to the left tilt of the media .
The left leaning media is responsible no doubt but let's not give it all the credit.

Even on BRF which is not Left-leaning, to say the least, during the Fukushima debate we heard the same types of arguments and rhetoric that the agitators in TN and their media sympathisers are using today. The problem is far more deep-rooted to be simply explained away as a case of media manipulation, IMO.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

BARC proposes two new research reactors under 12th Plan.

The country’s nuclear research programme could get a major fillip with the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre proposing to build two new research reactors under the 12th Five Year Plan. The reactors will be used for testing materials for new power plants, radioisotope production and manpower training, among others.
“We have proposed two new reactors under the 12th plan. They are expected to take India’s nuclear programme to greater heights. They will be high flux research reactors, which will use enriched uranium produced in India for testing important structural material under reactor operating conditions. With rapid expansion of our nuclear programme, more research reactors are needed for development of nuclear technology as they contribute to the creation of essential infrastructure for research and for building capabilities,” said BARC director R K Sinha.

The first new reactor, High Flux Research Reactor (HFRR), is a compact 30 MW thermal reactor with very high neutron flux needed for material irradiation. “The second is currently nicknamed Dhruva-2. It is proposed to generate 125 MW thermal power,” he added. The locations are yet to be finalised.

Sinha said the reactors will help in production of radioisotopes that have application in agriculture, food processing, medicine, industrial uses and protection of environment through processing of municipal wastes.

With the decommissioning of the 50-year-old CIRUS research reactor on December 31, 2010, as per commitments under the Indo-US nuclear deal, the two new reactors are expected to play a key role in building capabilities. “In addition, the construction of Apsara, India’s first research reactor, to higher capabilities has begun. The manufacture of advanced uranium silicide nuclear fuel containing enriched uranium of Indian origin for Apsara has also been initiated this year. All three (advanced version of Apsara and the two proposed) will help take neutron-based research and radioisotope production capacity to required higher levels,” said Sinha.

A large number of Indian Environmental Radiation Monitoring Network (IERMON) data systems have also been proposed to be set up across the country. Currently, such environmental radiation-monitoring networks are present at 106 locations in the country and BARC proposes to increase the number to 500 under the 12th Plan. It will enable monitoring of radiation levels anytime, anywhere in the country.

Yet another proposal is the construction of a large reprocessing plant at Tarapur. Currently, the reprocessing plants are located in Trombay (one), Tarapur (two), Kalpakkam (one) and one more is under construction at Kalpakkam and will be ready in the next one-and-a-half years. “It will help augment our capacity of reprocessing,” Sinha added.
Sanatanan
BRFite

Post by Sanatanan »

Congress MP seeks closure of Neyveli Lignite Corporation (TN)

The Congress will seek closure of Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) if the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP) is not commissioned, according to the party’s MP K S Azhagiri. Participating in a demonstration on Monday, which sought KKNPP to become operational, he said that Congress members from Cuddalore would organise a protest seeking NLC to be shut on the grounds that it too was polluting the environment.

Azhagiri said, “No industry is pollution-free or 100 per cent safe. Koodankulam may cause slight adversity to environment but NLC is also polluting the environment by spreading dust particles to the extent of 50 km.” He added that because of NLC, people of south Arcot were prone to tuberculosis. He said, “Cuddalore district Congress committee will organise a protest to shut down NLC. If this happens, then there will be power cut for 24 hours. Then, the state government will be forced to set up an expert panel for reopening of NLC too.”
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

amit wrote:Fully understand. That's the exact tactic being followed by the TN agitators. And really I fail to understand why the Central govt is allowing things to fester like this. Don't these policy makers realise that they are setting a precedent and every single future N-plant that will be built would be subjected to same treatment by agent provocateurs?
There is no consensus in India on how Nuclear power is to be operated. GOI needs to work to produce such a consensus. In its absence, opposition will only get worse with time. No one wants to live next to a Nuclear plant or a Coal plant for that matter. A social consensus allows people to swallow their dislike and accept something against their best interest.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Mmedia reports say that the "4 man State team" finds KKM safe! It can withstand a tsunami and an earthquake and will automatically shut off if the slightest tremor is felt.The PMANE rent-boy brigade will now be out on a limb,without support from both state and centre.Time to cull the leadership of the movement and expose them for what they truly are ,quislings obeying the commands of firang powers.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Theo_Fidel wrote:
amit wrote:Fully understand. That's the exact tactic being followed by the TN agitators. And really I fail to understand why the Central govt is allowing things to fester like this. Don't these policy makers realise that they are setting a precedent and every single future N-plant that will be built would be subjected to same treatment by agent provocateurs?
There is no consensus in India on how Nuclear power is to be operated. GOI needs to work to produce such a consensus. In its absence, opposition will only get worse with time. No one wants to live next to a Nuclear plant or a Coal plant for that matter. A social consensus allows people to swallow their dislike and accept something against their best interest.
Theo ji,

There was never a consensus in India on many things. There is no consensus still on liberalization in 90s by PVN (ask left or the loony Gandhis). Will you ever get a consensus for garbage dumps or coal field locations? There are agitations going on against those lands as well. Was there a social consensus in WB against nano but one in Gujarat which enabled it to move in one day. In one day the social consensus was built in gujarat? Did the narmada dam have such a consensus (Medha Patkar). For the fri**ng sake, even our missile development centre doesnt have consensus for the sake of turtles. Ours is a country where nuclear bomb is opposed, kargil was opposed, Kashmir was opposed and even on BR, we lacked the consensus whether we had the right to fly Indian flag in Kashmir. Was 26/11 by Pakistan - dont forget to ask the congress general secretary? But the GoI with all its wisdom/stupidity went along with something - whether we are on the right side of the consensus or the wrong side.

In light of the above history of India, I can only read your consensus as "politically correct" never. Who decides when we have the consensus? What is this mythical social consensus.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

At the risk of reigniting the heated arguments, I will point you to what Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Ex-AEC has said. He calls for such a system of consultation and open transfer of information to allow society to operate Nuclear power. Such a consensus is needed WRT to Nuclear power because of its long term and essentially open ended commitment to protection. There is no such consensus even from within the Nuclear establishment. If the governing groups in India generate such a consensus on ways and means of operation the pain endured by the folks on the ground can be managed. Such consensus exists on many items of Indian nationhood.

http://www.dnaindia.com/analysis/column ... el_1624980
The Indian government intends to replace the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board with a newly proposed Nuclear Safety Regulatory Authority to strengthen the administration of nuclear safety. The NSRA Bill, 2011, was introduced on September 7 and is currently before the Parliamentary Committee on Science & Technology. In the meantime, while hearing a public interest litigation on nuclear issues on December 5, Chief Justice SH Kapadia is reported to have said, ‘Have a public debate. Come out with a concrete solution till Parliament considers the (NSRA) Bill and suggest a regulatory model or a framework and then we can consider.’
I hope I have provided some insight into a nuclear regulatory organisation that is truly independent from the government. One can argue that India cannot have a regulator like the US NRC overnight, by passing a new law, but certainly we must strive to reach that level of independence at least in a decade from now. That will be impossible unless we now put in place an NSRA Act that will enable the system to move steadily and systematically towards meeting that objective.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

consensus != having a good regulator and safety authority or public debate or consultation.

Each of them can mean will mean a compromise somewhere unpalatable to a particular stake holder/interest group.

Consensus means every one has a right of veto.

To the article: There is saying in telugu - doorapu kondalu nunupu, i.e. mountains afar look smooth. I will just give you a debating point which if critically examined can crash the whole edifice he is building

Exhibit 1:
The NRC was created under the Energy Reorganisation Act, 1974, as an organisation that exercises considerable independence in nuclear regulatory matters. NRC has five commissioners, of whom no more than three may be members of the same political party.
Now if we create a very similar commission would you be happy to say that the regulatory commission of India will have a member each from congress, bjp, AIADMK who might or might not have any experience or knowledge of nuke. In short the regulatory commission becomes a political ping pong table. With deft political maneuvring, UPA can have 3 congress, 1 SP and 1 PDP member who will decide the regulation in India. Would you be happy with such an commission. This is just a debating point, not at all related to the present issue.

Exhibit 2:
The NRC was created under the Energy Reorganisation Act, 1974, as an organisation that exercises considerable independence in nuclear regulatory matters. NRC has five commissioners, of whom no more than three may be members of the same political party. The US president, with the Senate’s advice and consent, appoints the commissioners, who must be US citizens. Each commissioner serves for five years and, during that time, may not engage in any other business or vocation. The president appoints one of the NRC’s commissioners as chairperson, who acts as the principal executive officer and the official spokesman of the commission. The president may remove a commissioner only for neglect of duty, inefficiency or malfeasance in office, and the Senate has to ratify this action.

In contrast to the above, the Indian Nuclear Safety Regulatory Authority Bill proposes that the chairperson and members of the NSRA shall be finalised by a Council of Nuclear Safety, under the prime minister’s chairmanship, and they are appointed by the government for an initial three-year period. Furthermore, the chairperson and NSRA members can be removed from office by the government, even for trivial reasons. As per the Bill, there is no requirement to inform the Parliament or get approval for their appointment or removal.
While speaking of all the above he forgets that India is a parliamentary democracy and not a presidential one. So the decisions by the govt already have an implicit parliamentary approval. So what is he talking about?
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Yes, it is not easy. And that can not be the consensus. AG clearly states that regulator must have maximum independence from GOI. Credibility comes from independence.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

AG clearly states that regulator must have maximum independence from GOI. Credibility comes from independence.
According to you, how many of these regulatory agencies (including IAEA) are truely independent?

More than that, what are they supposed to regulate? and on whose behalf? What if the regulator / its chairman / members have an agenda to pursue? ...like the "Adoor Gopalakrishnan" that you quote? (incidnetly, both the "original" and the duplicate (the you quoted) have a set agenda to pursue - that of the commies and or the gora masters
Last edited by geeth on 20 Feb 2012 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

India to commission Breeder Reactor in 2013

While I would love this news to be true, somehow my head tells me this is like LCA LSP 7 flying in Jan 2012.
India plans to commission the first-of-its-kind Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR) early next year, kickstarting the second stage of its nuclear programme.
The 500 MWe reactor, being developed by the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu, uses a unique mix of uranium and plutonium which significantly enhances the capability to generate electricity per tonne of fuel utilised.
The indigenously-developed PFBR is at an advanced stage of construction under the aegis of state-owned Bhartiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam (BHAVINI).
"The construction will be completed by September and fuel will be lowered by December. We expect commissioning by early 2013," IGCAR Director S C Chetal said here.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

IIRC, it was supposed to be operational in 2010.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

I think it will be built and operated.

The problems will come during operation and maintaining up time. Larger Sodium cooled breeder reactors have struggled with maintaining PLF over 25%. The Super Phenix in France struggled to maintain an PLF in the high single digits, it had a PLF of 6% over it lifetime IIRC.

The BN-600 in the Urals has had numerous fires over its lifetime. It is designed to have 3 separate cooling circuits so a fire in one circuit will allow the plant to operate using the other two. Yes, it has been operated in the manner.
Sanatanan
BRFite

Post by Sanatanan »

This blog post discusses the possible courses of action available for the Koodangulam Protesters, post the recommendations of the State Panel which are said to be positive (I think, as of now, the formal report is yet to be submitted by the Panel):

Kudankulam: End of the road for protesters?
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

India to have 3 more nuclear fuel fabrication facilities.

India will establish three facilities to supply fuel to new nuclear power plants it would to build as part of its massive expansion plans.

The first of the three new nuclear fuel complexes would be established at Kota in Rajasthan to supply fuel to four 700 MWe Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) being built at neighbouring Rawatbhata and Kakrapar in Gujarat.

"The Nuclear Fuel Complex at Kota would be ready by 2015-16," said RN Jayaraj, chief executive officer of the Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC), Hyderabad.

The NFC was established in 1971 as a major industrial unit of Department of Atomic Energy to supply nuclear fuel bundles and reactor core components.Presently, the NFC, Hyderabad fabricates fuel for all the existing 20 nuclear power plants operated by the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL).

The Kota plant will be a dedicated facility to supply fuel to 700 MWe units at Kakrapar and Rawatbhata.

Of the two other NFCs to be set up in due course, one would supply fuel to ten 700 MWe PHWRs being planned in Haryana, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh, while the other would be to meet the fuel requirements of the light water reactors being built with foreign collaboration.The sites for these two NFCs are yet to be finalised.

The PHWR Fuel Fabrication Facility (PFFF) at Kota will have a capacity to supply fuel upto 500 tonnes per year.It would also have a Zirconium Fabrication Facility (ZFF) of 65 tonnes per year capacity.

At present, nuclear power contributes 4780 MWe to the country's energy basket and the government has plans to raise this to 63,000 MWe by 2032.
Sanatanan
BRFite

Post by Sanatanan »

News story in Times Of India, Feb 24, 2012:
US NGOs behind Kudankulam stir: PM
. . .
Singh, in an interview to the American journal 'Science' being published on Friday said, "The atomic energy programme has got into difficulties because these NGOs mostly, I think, based in the US, don't appreciate the need for our country to increase energy. The local NGO-led protests have stalled the commissioning of two 1000 mw nuclear reactors."
. . .
There are NGOs funded from the US and Scandinavian countries which are not fully appreciative of the development challenges that our country faces."
. . .
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ But what does a PM know? Is he a "neutral" person to say all this? Shouldn't a 400% independent regulator PM says this words for rest of junta to believe?

How can there be US hand when the protesters were wearing ethnic dresses like Lungi and Baniyans? If there was foreign help, we would have seen suited, booted protestors... :roll: :roll:
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

How come he dont mention that these NGOs were/are the power behind the Chyrch which led the protests ?
Then they cry hoarse when some one calls them the traitors and the stooges of foreign powers as proven again in current case of 2Italians arreseted for murdering 2 Indians.
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

The Indian home minister did attempt to leash the NGO's, specially to control their sources of funding, and in the 2011 Lokpal melee that bill somehow vanished. I think the Lokpal and NGOs are somehow associated .....
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Whatever one might say, but it is commendable for the PM to openly point fingers at the US for interfering with the development of India. It is the first time in living memory that an Indian PM has openly blamed the US (even private entities like NGOs) for harming India.

And this is the person we (myself included) called US poodle. Perhaps we misjudged him. But I would wait for a while, just to see if he retracts his statement. :P
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Any reason why would US NGO sponsor such protest when US could harm its own business interest of selling N Reactors to India.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Well, we were not buying any from them to begin with. Hence, the pressure tactic.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Austin wrote:Any reason why would US NGO sponsor such protest when US could harm its own business interest of selling N Reactors to India.
Khan did a lot of heavy lifting for India to get NSG waiver, now it seems Russian and French firms would benefit more. that plus all of the 3 especially Khan wants India to put a 250 crore cap in the Nuke liability bill.

Now Khan is using its powers to stop us from commissioning 2 Russian 1000MW Nuke power plants which could lead to anther 7 of them in the same area. So riot for hire tactics are used to do thier bidding.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Please stop seeing ghosts everywhere.
Please read my earlier post about the green movement, left leaning attitudes and environmentalist gangs. These movements are very strong in coutries like Denmark/Norway.
[ Please also see pics of Herr Udayakumar in a anti-nuclear meeting in Sweden I posted sometime back ]

You have to realize that these movements need a massive victory to keep their herd together and keep the funding taps open. These are frothing-in-the-mouth leftist gangs that have a strong political base in Scandinavian countries.For the US it is the environmental/greenpeace lot. These groups are hated not just in India , but even in their home countries.
This is not targeting India in particular. They probably thought India was a easy target, made alliances with coastal church belt in TN . That gave them powerful winds for their sails.
Looks like the favourable winds have ceased.