Indian Army : News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Army : News and Discussion

Post by rohitvats »

ramana wrote: A key enabler would be to upgrade the combat capability of those old style divisions. But every chief who tries that gets bogged down in MOD games.
That is where the RAPIDs come into picture.....the brainchild of one Tam-Brahm general
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

rohitvats wrote:And the point being?
I was expecting to get that reply from the people who know in depth as displayed in the Age Row.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Media reports say that the moves are being made to announce Lt.Gen BKS as the next army chief in early March.It may also be the case that notwithstanding the tensions in the MEast region and Israeli-Iran spat-in-the-making,Gen VKS was deliberately denied an official junket to Israel for his obstinacy in pursuing his DOB campaign to the courts.It will now be left to his successor,in all likelihood,Gen.BKS to make the official visit to Israel at the appropriate time.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

chackojoseph wrote:
I was expecting to get that reply from the people who know in depth as displayed in the Age Row.
There is no public message that the Army Chief needs to give. At least I do not expect him to do that. If you want him to come on TV and cry in front of media, you are looking at the wrong person. Gen retd J J Singh did that stuff(rona dhona) which endeared him to the media, albeit the issue was different.

The Army Chief would have sent personally signed condolence messages to the family of each of the deceased person. He would, through the command structure ensure speedy disbursal of all the benefits to the families.

Army Chief would have got reports of the exact cause for the higher number of casualties. In case the Army Chief deemed it fit, he would have ordered the Army Commander, Northern Command to convene a court of inquiry in to the actual cause. Army Chief, through his staff, would ensure that required actions are taken to provide additional facilities or modification of SOP, to prevent recurrence of the grievous incidents. Need be, he would raise the issue of co-ordination with SASE and efficacy of their warnings at the appropriate level and forum.

Apart from this, IMO there is no need to play to the galleries. I did not take the bait yesterday, my bad.
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

Army places orders for 100 howitzers
New Delhi, Feb 29,2012, (PTI) : The Indian Army has placed orders for 100 artillery guns with the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) after having failed to acquire even a single howitzer in over two decades following the Bofors scandal.

The Army has issued several tenders for procuring different types of howitzers in the last two decades but has failed to do so due to some problem or the other.

"The Army has placed orders with the OFB for procuring one hundred 155mm 52 calibre howitzers and this will be developed on the basis of Transfer of Technology (ToT) done by Bofors," Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju told PTI here.

He said indigenous development of the howitzers would continue alongside trials by the OFB and within a specific time frame, the guns would be delivered to the Army.

The Minister said this indigenous development programme was not likely to have any impact on procurement of several types of gun systems such as 145 Ultra Light Howitzers, 180 Self-Propelled Howitzers and 400 Towed Howitzers through global tenders.

The OFB has been producing major components of the gun, such as barrel, breach mechanism, muzzle break, loading trough, recoil system along with the elevating and traversing cylinders, and supplying these to the army as spares.

As part of its over Rs 20,000 crore artillery modernisation plan, the Army is looking at inducting several types of howitzers through inter-governmental pacts and global tenders.

Army Chief Gen V K Singh had promised last year that at least one type of artillery gun would be inducted into the Service in 2011-12 but it is still waiting for it.

The Bofors 155mm howitzers were the focus of a kickback scandal targeting former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in the late 1980s, but the artillery gun performed remarkably in the Kargil war.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/231 ... tzers.html
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

"The Army has placed orders with the OFB for procuring one hundred 155mm 52 calibre howitzers and this will be developed on the basis of Transfer of Technology (ToT) done by Bofors," Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju told PTI here.

^^^BAE already has a tieup with Mahindra Defence for such purpose. so MBT and OFB will work together on this.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Philip wrote:Media reports say that the moves are being made to announce Lt.Gen BKS as the next army chief in early March.It may also be the case that notwithstanding the tensions in the MEast region and Israeli-Iran spat-in-the-making,Gen VKS was deliberately denied an official junket to Israel for his obstinacy in pursuing his DOB campaign to the courts.It will now be left to his successor,in all likelihood,Gen.BKS to make the official visit to Israel at the appropriate time.
None, absolutely none of the competing and serving general have said something on avalanche deaths. The only one high ranking official who is at helm (logically) is Lieutenant General KT Parnaik, the Northern commander.

IMO, there is a gag order on the top echelon.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

After Maj-Gen, Lt Col faces court martial.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2012/20120301/nation.htm#5
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

chackojoseph wrote:
It seems you're edging for a fist fight? What gives?
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

rohitvats wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:One more Q. Show me a statement by Army Chief on the avalanche deaths.
And the point being?
Point being just to bleat. Isn't that obvious Rohit?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

In defence of Chacko; I think he is alluding to the fact that the brass of IA has been issued a very strict gag order from MoD; this he seems to indicate is yet another fall out of the age incident, and the moves being made to ease out Gen VKS.

MoD does not want IA officers to start speaking up right now and can not afford any slips or leaks.

He I guess was also fishing for independent corroboration from others who have sources to confirm his hunch.

========

At least that was my reading of what Chacko seems to want to hint, but not say.

Apologies in advance if I read anyone wrong.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

From Lt General VK Nayar's letter:
[..]
There is no doubt that all records, both in the MS and AGs branch, until 2006 clearly reflected 1951 as the Chiefs date of birth. Based on an erroneous entry in the Army List, after the officer had already been cleared for the rank of Lieutenant General, first the MS branch records and then the AGs records were tampered with.
Wow! This is unbelievable.

Why is this not being taken seriously?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

peter wrote:
[..]
There is no doubt that all records, both in the MS and AGs branch, until 2006 clearly reflected 1951 as the Chiefs date of birth. Based on an erroneous entry in the Army List, after the officer had already been cleared for the rank of Lieutenant General, first the MS branch records and then the AGs records were tampered with.

By whom peter? When confronted on the issue of buying votes to get the 123 deal through parliament, Man mohan had said "we won the elections"

That is how the country is being run. You think its a big deal? Win elections and do the right thing, other wise Man mohan will treat Gen VKS worse than he would treat a Kiyani and preen his feathers at his enlightened outlook with the court clapping!
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

peter wrote:
[..]

Sanku wrote: By whom peter?
I am assuming our justice system/Supreme Court and VKS's lawyers? Where are the PIL filers?

Also we have enough people on this board who "believe":

a) VKS got his promotion because of 1950 as his DOB.
b) There is no "reason" why his DOB was tampered.

Why the disconnect between between the top army brass (Nayar, Katoch etc) and this other camp?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

peter wrote: I am assuming our justice system/Supreme Court and VKS's lawyers? Where are the PIL filers?
Well SC said
1) Do not wash dirty laundry in public
2) Go with the wind.

In the end the matter stood withdrawn as Gen VKS was not willing to push it forward, since he was being rewarded for exposing the muck with character assassination authorized by man mohan himself.

When the reward for doing the right thing is to have the entire state crack down on you and then mockingly ask "are you strong enough still? were you in the past?"

Few individuals can stand the full might of Indian establishment bought to bear on them.
Why the disconnect between between the top army brass (Nayar, Katoch etc) and this other camp?
Some people are still reluctant to believe the full extent of capabilities of leadership of GoI I think.

They have gone into somewhat of a denial mode (there are of course a section of pressitudes as well, but other than those) -- that is the only way you can keep sanity intact in todays India as you work your way in the given situation.
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

Hi Chacko,
I bow down to your media skills and knowledge.
Can you remind us when was the last time any service chief spoke in public about his soldiers dying in accidents,tragedies and to bullets.
Heck,
I don't even think any of the posthumous gallantry award winners are spoken of by service chiefs to the media.
Can you imagine a Press Conference which goes like this:

1) Sir,when is the Army buying Maruti Gypsys with built in mobile phone chargers?'

Ans: I will like to talk about Manoj Pandey and the tenacious Gorkhas who...

Next day's headlines: Army Chief Evasive on Acquisition plans

2) Q: Air Chief Marshal, What is being done for the relocation of villages away from flight paths of the Bison Squadron on Grand Trunk Road
Answer: Ladies and Gentlemen of the Media,at the outset let me talk about the braveheart Bison pilot who risked his life but ensured he did not crash into Village XYZ...

Next days headlines: Air Chief denies Mig 21s are Flying Coffins

and so on and so forth...

The sevices have a remarkable system of consoling and looking after NoKs.
It is something that you and me will not understand.Ever.
Better to mourn privately and strenghten our systems to prevent such losses in the future than create phantom fantasies about a fine leader of men.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Sanku wrote:In defence of Chacko; I think he is alluding to the fact that the brass of IA has been issued a very strict gag order from MoD; this he seems to indicate is yet another fall out of the age incident, and the moves being made to ease out Gen VKS.

MoD does not want IA officers to start speaking up right now and can not afford any slips or leaks.

He I guess was also fishing for independent corroboration from others who have sources to confirm his hunch.

========

At least that was my reading of what Chacko seems to want to hint, but not say.

Apologies in advance if I read anyone wrong.
You are bang on right Sanku. IMO, too many things are happening. Chief's Israel trip cancelled, no one is uttering a word, retirement procedures started etc. You see, the folks have slipped under the radar. Why? Its a simple question. Why there are no comments on a major incident like 20 soldiers dead, infrastructure of a base or two wiped out (at least looking at pictures, its a huge devastation).

If Chief's have never spoken about it, say so. It is a revelation to me. Am I a know all? I just searched the internet and found that, there are no examples of Chief's expressing a similar sentiment in public. it is actually a learning for me. Did I claim to be the best in media skills and knowledge? Normally, press does ask such questions when they meet DM, Chiefs etc. Not necessarily, they have to issue a statement.

Then, there are some folks who make it a point to make it personal for whatever said. Likewise, why do people find it compelled to think that they are being referred to every time? Whats the point? If, I have created an impression that I am picking on a particular person, then its wrong. There is so much pressure, that I do not want to pick up an (even if useful) argument at all. Folks are talking about a 'fist fight,' which is meaningless. Now days, I am not even able to sustain a meaningful discussion, forget a fist fight.

I hope, folks will see this in the right perspective.

But, again thanks for answering, even if not to the liking. Thanks for reading and contemplating what i write.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

chackojoseph wrote:...
Then, there are some folks who make it a point to make it personal for whatever said. Likewise, why do people find it compelled to think that they are being referred to every time? Whats the point? If, I have created an impression that I am picking on a particular person, then its wrong...
If you go through your posts on the topic, you will realise that you have not only created 'an impression', but said it in as many words.
Nevertheless, my last post on this. Sorry for the OT.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

nelson wrote:If you go through your posts on the topic, you will realise that you have not only created 'an impression', but said it in as many words.
Nevertheless, my last post on this. Sorry for the OT.
As I understand, you are referring to
chackojoseph wrote:
Read the whole Army Chief DoB issue. It was a heated discussion and I felt that some folks actually know in depth on the issue. I am sure a lot of you already feel the same way. I have been reading it with interest as it raged on. I was actually hoping someone will shed light on it. As I said, if you read that impartially, without felling "picked on," I actually meant what I said. Some of them, especially handle Tsarkar (spell) manages (depth info) that very well. But, the question is why is everything taken personally, to the extent people call names and ask for fist fights?

Added later... 22:55 hrs

see why I mentioned TSarkar (Link)
Last edited by chackojoseph on 01 Mar 2012 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Some folks are a protected species.

Mixing it up with members of such protected species will get you nixed. :)
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

chackojoseph wrote:infrastructure of a base or two wiped out (at least looking at pictures, its a huge devastation).
Chacko-saar, I was looking at links you posted somewhere else - the links dont seem to have pictures of the post-event. Maybe I looked at wrong spot. Can you please post again, if I missed out. TIA.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian army chief to visit despite cancellation
India’s military chief is expected to visit Israel despite a decision by the Indian government to cancel his trip this month, The Jerusalem Post has learned.

The Indian Daily News and Analysis (DNA) news website said Thursday that Gen. V.K. Singh was scheduled to arrive in Israel between March 16 and 18 to discuss the growing defense cooperation between the two countries, but that the visit was canceled due to soaring tensions with Iran.

Nevertheless, defense officials in Israel believe the visit will still go ahead on a future date.

In explaining this month’s cancellation, DNA quoted an Indian Defense Ministry official as saying, “The situation in Israel is not favorable for the general’s visit with war clouds gathering over Iran, especially after the recent attacks on Israeli diplomats in foreign countries, including in India.”

“During this period, [the] army chief’s official visit to Israel could send wrong signals to Iran. And it might create unnecessary misunderstanding,” the reported continued.

But India’s Defense Minister M.M. Pallam Raju cited a different reason for the cancellation, saying “instability in Syria” was the cause, according to the report.

India is the second largest importer of Iranian oil (after China), with 300,000 barrels arriving every day. The US is applying heavy pressure on India to reduce its dependency on Iranian oil, so far to no effect.

At the same time, New Delhi and Jerusalem moved closer over the past decade, and Israel has become the second largest exporter of defense products to India, after Russia.

More than $10 billion in defense contracts have been signed between Israel and India since 1999, DNA said.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Ground-and-air war games, China in mind
The air force and the army are conducting an exercise across the eastern and northeastern states to test defences and special operations in the event of hostilities with China. This is the largest exercise of its kind.

“This time we are focused on the Brahmaputra Valley, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Mizoram to exercise our entire capabilities in all roles in conjunction with the army to disrupt enemy intrusion and take the battle to the adversary,” Air Marshal M. Matheswaran, senior air staff officer of the Shillong-headquartered Eastern Air Command, told The Telegraph.

Codenamed “Pralay”, the exercise was designed by the Calcutta-headquartered Eastern Army Commander, Lt General Bikram Singh, and the Eastern Air Commander, Air Marshal S. Varthaman.
More than 70 aircraft — including the airborne warning and control system (AWACS) planes, Sukhoi 30MKi, MiG-29, MiG-27 and Mirage 2000 combat planes — have been deployed.

This is the first time that the Israeli Phalcon AWACS are being tested in a simulated combat environment on such a scale. AWACS are designed to detect, acquire and designate targets for other fighter aircraft. Mid-air refuellers have also been deployed to practise long-range strike missions.

“Drills that will help us validate joint operational directives in the valleys and the hills are being emphasised,” Matheswaran said.
In an unrelated exercise, platoons of the Indonesian and Indian armies are practising at the Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Vairante, Mizoram.

“Exercise Garuda Shakti”
is the first joint platoon-level training programme for the two armies. In an outdoor drill named “Chakravyuh”, the platoons practised busting an insurgent hideout in Mizoram’s Lushai Hills early on Thursday after a nightlong march.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

hnair wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:infrastructure of a base or two wiped out (at least looking at pictures, its a huge devastation).
Chacko-saar, I was looking at links you posted somewhere else - the links dont seem to have pictures of the post-event. Maybe I looked at wrong spot. Can you please post again, if I missed out. TIA.
ARMY COMMANDER VISITS AVALANCHE HIT AREAS OF VALLEY

IA Army workshop hit by Avalanche

Gives pretty good idea, especially, the base workshop could be the one of the biggest infra at that altitude.

Look at the civvie area Joint Rescue Operation of civilians at Sonamarg Avalanche hit area.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

chackojoseph wrote: [..]
Read the whole Army Chief DoB issue. It was a heated discussion and I felt that some folks actually know in depth on the issue. I am sure a lot of you already feel the same way. I have been reading it with interest as it raged on. I was actually hoping someone will shed light on it.
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?279938

This is a wonderful piece written by Mrinalini, General VKS's daughter. You must read the outlook article.

I am just amazed how crooked VKS's opponents have been. Perhaps due to the patronage of Anthony and this Government the group: Nilender Kumar, Deepak Kapoor, Avadesh Prakash etc are made heroes.

Another thing that baffles me is why VKS is not going again to the Supreme court to expose the Army list fiasco (read the article to understand this). Is VKS's lawyer really incompetent?
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

^No sir, it isn't over yet. Changing tack needs time, some rest, recuperation and re-organisation. FWIW...

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/disap ... um=twitter
kunalverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kunalverma »

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_ar ... on_1657637

Not only has Outlook carried VKS's detailed interview, an Open Memorandum addressed to the President of India is fast being endorsed by former chiefs, Governors and an assortment of Service Personnel.

The Memorandum makes no bones about the conspiracy theory, something which VKS himself couldn't openly talk of. The web site which is where ex-Servicemen and concerned citizens can sign is expected to be uplinked by mid night today. I'll post it as soon as the link is sent to me.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

SC has ‘not effectively’ closed age issue: Gen V K Singh
NEW DELHI: Army chief Gen V K Singh, who lost his battle with the defence ministry on the age row, feels the Supreme Court has "not effectively" closed the issue but ruled out his resignation.

"It would be dishonest to say that that I was not under pressure to resign. Even my closest advisors were affected by the media interpretation and, yes, I was extremely disappointed that the Supreme Court had not effectively closed the issue.

"......as chief of army staff, I have a responsibility towards the army and its men and have to attend to the unfinished tasks that I had set out for myself. I cannot quit until I complete what I have started. Organisational interests are supreme," he told "Outlook" magazine in an interview.

Gen Singh said many commentators were looking at this matter as a classic case of strained civil-military relations, and drew parallels with the unfinished resignation of Gen K S Thimmayya, to predict his resignation.

"But I see the age as something that I and the army have to address, and we will do it once we are a given legal order," he said in reply to a question about the wide speculation that he would resign since the Supreme Court did not upheld his case.

Gen Singh said the apex court order has created more confusion, without addressing the main issue. It talks of a statutory complaint being divided into two parts -- the process of decision-making on the one hand and maintainability on the other.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

I think , it deserves posting in detail

From dna link posted by Kunal
Gen Singh said the apex court order has created more confusion, without addressing the main issue. It talks of a statutory complaint being divided into two parts--the process of decision-making on the one hand and maintainability on the other.

"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has argued that since the decision has been taken by them to peg my Year of Birth as 1950, I must accept this regardless.This goes against the principles of natural justice," Gen Singh said.

Asked about the impression that he had lost the battle and that the Supreme Court had ruled against him, he said it was a strange situation.

While the apex court was dealing with the case there was a parallel minute-by-minute interpretation of the proceedings in the media.Breaking news on TV and newspaper headlines the next day delivered their own verdict which declared that 'the General has lost the battle'.

But, he said, when the order came out on February 15, the media did not not report it and everyone missed its import. "It is an innocuous order that leaves recognition of the DoB to the competent authority based on records.The media was reporting obiter dicta in a highly exaggerated manner," he said.

To a question about his decision to withdraw the petition in the court gave an impression that he was satisfied with what the court had to say, Gen Singh said after his statutory complaint was rejected the Defence Ministry on December 30 last, he had moved the court.

On February 3, the court questioned the decision-making process which led to it being turned down and opined that it went against the principles of natural justice.

On February 10, the Attorney General withdrew the Defence Ministry's order against the statutory complaint and tacitly admitted that the actual DoB was 1951 and that the ministry was opposing it only "on a matter of principle".

Gen Singh said after that there was noting else to be said in court especially since the judges had also indicated that the court did not want to get into the actual date of birth.

"Now, unless the Defence Ministry's decision-making process is spelt out so as to explain the rationale behind still pegging my YoB as 1950, how can I challenge it. I therefore withdrew my petition and have decided to wait for the MoD to give its reasons afresh," he said.

He said it is important to put in place systems that ensure that such cases were never repeated in future.

Asked about the views of his daughter who wrote in an article pointing at the hand of former chief Gen J J Singh in the DoB controversy, Gen Singh gave no direct answer except to say that the problem got aggravated when the Defence Ministry chose to "endorse this line without going into why this was being done".

Q: Are you saying that the 2006 decision (taken by J J Singh) was illegal?

A: It has its ramifications. Even I say that I don't contest it, it cannot be implemented because the SC order does not say anything about the legality of two different dates of birth.

To a question he was looked upon as someone standing up to the establishment, giving as good as he got, Gen Singh said, "being Chief of the Indian Army does not insulate me from public opinion and I am aware that many feel that I was wrong in taking the fight to the MoD".

He said the tendency after reaching senior ranks is to avoid rocking the boat. "But if I, as the chief, did not stand up for what is correct, what sort of a message would I be sending to the rank and file," he said.

Similarly, he said, that despite the overwhelming opinion he should resign, it was necessary for him to stay the course.

"The SC has sidestepped the issue. But it certainly does not clear the way for any illegal order to be given to the Army. Had I resigned, it would have been a self-goal and in the long run, against the interest of the organisation," Gen Singh said.
Judgement is a matter of interpretation and perception. Here perception has become more important. It was created to put pressure on VKS to concede defeat. I am happy that he has called a spade a spade. Not leaving even SC in his stride. I hope he is not targeted for his comments on SC. Right now unless a fresh legal challenge is mounted ( which seems remote right now) MOD would take him as retired on the day.

Happy to see a true man among scoundrels.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Now this from our friendly neighbours:
http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news- ... ndian-army
Bikram Singh all set to lead Indian Army
By: INP | March 02, 2012 | 0
"NEW DELHI - The Indian government is all set to announce the appointment of Eastern Army Commander Lt-General Bikram Singh as the next army chief, after an elaborate vetting process including an unusual and detailed intelligence check on his family. The announcement will bring to an end the unsavoury succession battle marred by several controversies and sniper attacks.
According to senior government sources, the file proposing Lt-Gen Bikram Singh as the next army chief is in the final stages and the approval, a source said, could come as early as in the current week.
The process for appointing Gen V K Singh's successor, however, included an unusual intelligence check on his family members. Sources said the Defence Ministry sought clearance from intelligence agencies on Lt Gen Bikram Singh's daughter-in-law.
The move was prompted by several complaints, from political leaders as well as others, alleging that Lt Gen Singh's daughter-in-law was a Pakistani, and thus his appointment had potential security implications.
According to sources, intelligence agencies have given a clean chit to Lt Gen Singh, rubbishing the allegations. According to the agencies, his eldest daughter-in-law is an American citizen, whose father is an Afghan and mother is from Central Asia. In fact, the agencies also reported that she had converted to Sikhism upon marriage. "The agencies have given a clean chit. The allegations were unwanted efforts to target him," a senior government source said........"
Gautam
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

kashmir-situation-has-changed-gen-hasnain

No amount of encomiums on Gen Hasnain would suffice for the turn-around that has been seen from the situation in Kashmir since spring-2010. As he himself says, the Army has been doing the good work for years, but it is only now that the world , Kashmir and the army have changed in the eyes of the Kashmiri youth.

It is unfortunate that this leadership, acumen and stellar performance of Gen Hasnain will not be available for the services of the country as an Army Commander. I hope he is made Advisor to GoI on J&K or even Governor J&K, after he retires next year.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

As Chief Guest at Kolkata, Princep Memorial on the Banks of Ganges in Finale of Maitree Bandhan recently organised by Toilet
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

peter wrote:
Also we have enough people on this board who "believe":

a) VKS got his promotion because of 1950 as his DOB.
b) There is no "reason" why his DOB was tampered.

There have been many articles (linked in this thread) pointing out what Lt Gen Nayar has written including from LT Gen Katoch and MG Devasahayan (retd IAS). But those who wanted to 'believe' differently have continued to have the disconnect. The rest of the media has helped with this belief as well. Anyway, seems like the latest news is that it is a done deal. See the news posted above about the new chief.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Govt probes ‘snooping’ by Army equipment
The Ministry of Defence may have denied reports that the office of Defence Minister A K Antony was “bugged” but sources have confirmed to The Sunday Express that the government and intelligence agencies are verifying “specific information” that at least two sets of “off-the-air mobile phone interception equipment” were deployed in the capital by a section of the Army brass.

It is understood that details of the equipment — manufactured in Ukraine and called “passive interceptors” in common parlance — were received by top officials in the government last month. Incidentally, this was the time that Army Chief General V K Singh’s date of birth controversy was playing out in court.

The Intelligence Bureau (IB) is understood to have since been asked to establish the veracity of the reports and locate the vehicles on which the snooping devices are believed to have been mounted.

Specific intelligence with the government describes the purchase of the off-the-air equipment in mid-2010 by an Army intelligence unit. The information is that the equipment — which can intercept telephone conversations within a 3-km radius — was mounted on two “private” vehicles. One is believed to have been a Tata Safari with a Rajasthan licence plate, the other a Maruti Esteem registered in Delhi.

According to intelligence received by the government, sources said, these two vehicles were routinely parked in residential bungalows on Krishna Menon Marg and Kushak Road, besides Delhi Cantonment.

When contacted by The Sunday Express, the Army information about misuse of off-the-air equipment was “speculative”. He said, “Such equipment is used only in counter-insurgency areas, it will never be used in the capital.”
:
:
:
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Gen VK Singh writes to Antony, lists issues ‘degrading’ Army capability
:
:
Some of the issues raised by the Army are:

Ammunition: Depleting ammunition reserves and the slow pace of modernisation, especially in areas like artillery and air defence. Several cases of procurement of artillery and armoured ammunition have hit roadblocks due to the blacklisting of firms. Critical purchases of ammunition have been pending for over five years.

Cyber battalions: The Army has urged the ministry to grant permission for setting up of new cyber battalions of the Territorial Army (TA) to rope in young talent from the private sector. The proposal has been pending for the past two years.

National Counter Insurgency School (NCIS): Little progress had been made in the establishment of an institute to train and raise specialized troops to take on insurgents. While land had been earmarked in areas affected by the Naxal problem, there has been little progress in setting up of the school that would train paramilitary forces as well as Army troops for counter-insurgency operations. Project has been pending for close to two years.

... contd.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.samachar.com/Lt-Gen-Bikram-S ... fjhed.html
Lt Gen Bikram Singh will be next Army chief
New Delhi Ending the suspense, government today announced the appointment of Lt Gen Bikram Singh as the next Army chief from May 31 to succeed Gen V K Singh.
59-year-old Lt Gen Singh, the Eastern Army Commander, will head the 13-lakh strong force and have a tenure of just over two years till August 2014. "Lt Gen Singh has been designated as the next chief of Army staff, in the rank of General, with effect from the afternoon of 31 May 2012," Defence Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar said here. "He will succeed the present COAS Gen V K Singh, who retires from the service on May 31," he said. As per the normal practice, the appointment of chiefs of defence services is announced 60 days in advance but in this case, the government made the announcement 90 days in advance.