LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
adityadange
BRFite

Re: LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

Post by adityadange »

Hari Nair wrote:That's not an "IFR Probe" (not sure if there's any such thing)- its an airspeed calibration probe. It sticks out clear beyond the "dirty" air under the main rotor and measures the airspeed.
The Yellow pylon mounted things are (temporarily located) aircraft airspeed probes.
oh! i was under impression that helicopters are also refueled in air like fighters. Actually when i was writing earlier post the question crept in my mind that how do they refuel helicopter considering difference in operating environment(altitude, speed etc) of a (tanker) plane and helicopter. also i never heard of any helicopter in tanker role.

a thought just came into my mind, maybe stupid. can we have IFR on a helicopter? one can modify a mi-26 size heli into tanker role and other helis can get fuel from it. it may not be useful in attack helos but definately will help in recon and AEW types of missions.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

Kakarat wrote:Looks like the Wings of LCH have also changed
yes. they seem to have round front portion and cover for pylons where the dummy rocker pods are attached.
narmad
BRFite

Post by narmad »

Hari Nair wrote:A couple of recent pics of TD-2 just before a test flight
and
a pic in the cockpit of an ALH during a recent flight test at high altitude somewhere in the clear skies over Bangalore!
- Hari
Sir, Thank you for posting the pics
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

@Kakarat - Yes the wings have changed. :)
@adityadange- Well you meant an in-flight refueling probe! -its not a new concept really and several types of Western helicopters, especially special-ops dedicated variants already have them to increase their range. They usually refuel from turbo-prop tankers.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks a lot for the pics.

won't the airspeed probe obstruct a little of the sensor ball's FOV ? or is that considered acceptable since it is in the upper hemisphere (as far as I could gather) ?
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

@ Rahul M - welcome! will help if you enable my option to post pics directly on the site!
The airspeed probe is a temporary fitment for flight instrumentation. It will be removed after the airspeed probes are calibrated.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sorry sir, the current forum SW does not have that option. the way you did it is pretty much the to do it.

thanks for the reply, what is/are the immediate milestone(s) LCH team is looking at, if you don't mind sharing ?
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

Well, there are quite a few changes in the offing - some of which will be pretty visible soon - we will be posting the pics - when we manage to get some good ones.
The project milestones - we will definitely talk about those when we meet up!
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

Hari saab, a hypothetical question, isn't an active protection system (APS) helpful on LCH? the rocket pods seem to be suited for holding APS projectiles as well with MAWS fitted on LCH used to cue them?

Navy was working with Israelis on an unmanned version of Dhruv, this Israeli cooperation might enable adapt the Trophy APS for Helis?
venku_Raj
BRFite -Trainee

Post by venku_Raj »

wings seems to be inspired from Hind , just my observation :D
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

noob pooch : Wouldn't placing the EO ball on the front of the nose give more coverage of ground than the present arrangement of fixing it on the top.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Rahul M wrote:sorry sir, the current forum SW does not have that option. the way you did it is pretty much the to do it.

Doesn't BR have a photo upload area like that setup from time to time for Aero India photos from members?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

First off, Thanks a load for sharing the pics of the LCH and ALH.. Its good to see the program progress..
Hari Nair wrote:Well, there are quite a few changes in the offing - some of which will be pretty visible soon - we will be posting the pics - when we manage to get some good ones.
This does it.. Time for the next BR Meet in Bangalore.. Its been a year since the last meet in any case.. Rahulda any chance you'll be dropping by???
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

not in the immediate future, I will have to depend on sitreps from you guys.

srai, that's for the mainsite. on the forum you will still have to go through the same procedure as exists now.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Bala Vignesh wrote:First off, Thanks a load for sharing the pics of the LCH and ALH.. Its good to see the program progress..
Hari Nair wrote:Well, there are quite a few changes in the offing - some of which will be pretty visible soon - we will be posting the pics - when we manage to get some good ones.
This does it.. Time for the next BR Meet in Bangalore.. Its been a year since the last meet in any case.. Rahulda any chance you'll be dropping by???
Yes, should have one soon.
member_23061
BRFite

Post by member_23061 »

Gurneesh wrote:noob pooch : Wouldn't placing the EO ball on the front of the nose give more coverage of ground than the present arrangement of fixing it on the top.
I think one of our LCH people told us the reasoning for that. At the normal height at which the Rudra will operate, there is no difference if the Gimball is above or below the nose. Above gives more stability as I remember. Knowledgeable people please correct me.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

is Equador still operating Dhruv? There was news about Turkey buying the same choppers but no ifo available now on the net if the deal was realized.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

Jhujar wrote:is Equador still operating Dhruv? There was news about Turkey buying the same choppers but no ifo available now on the net if the deal was realized.
as i know turkey has good relations with pakistan. in such case will GOI permit sale Dhruv to them?
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

I knew it!!!

On 13th Morning, heard a buzz and rushed to the balcony. It was quite far off and could not identify visually, so quickly came back with camera. Took a Few snaps in full auto with the max zoom but after that went to 'lyad' mode, as usual. Today when checked, I see these 8)

sorry for the "chinese" quality of them though, wish had one of those 'bazooka' lens :(
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

this is LCH TD2.... :)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

good job picklu. get a good lens for pujo instead of the customary shirts. ;)
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

The LCH - climbing above 6000 m - a view in the cockpit
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Hari Nair wrote:The LCH - climbing above 6000 m - a view in the cockpit
That is an impressive 20,000 feet.
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

If that is not a warning to those jokers who might be planning a rehash of kargil...... I dunno what is.

Hold your horses losers ... its on its way
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

great shot !!
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

@Shiv - The shot was whilst climbing beyond 6000m - and as you said - it is rather impressive!
@Rahul - Thanks!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

sorry guys

where are the pics??
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7520/l ... 6000m1.jpg
Sir, any insights on the fire-power mix carried by LCH at such extreme heights ?? :wink:
Btw, an awesome shot, sir! :D
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

thanks krishg

strange I cannot see the link in Hari's post
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Nice! 6000 meters is awesome. Would we be able to do the same in a fully loaded lch ?
gnair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gnair »

At 20,000 ft> AGL or pressure altitude, depending on outside air temperature, icing is a probable variable that the LCH design team will have to consider, for sustained operations.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Aksai Chin is 5000 meters.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Rahul M wrote:good job picklu. get a good lens for pujo instead of the customary shirts. ;)
the term "lyad" indicates Piklu is a bong just like me..!!
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

Cybaru wrote:Nice! 6000 meters is awesome. Would we be able to do the same in a fully loaded lch ?

Interestingly WikiBaba lists the service ceiling of "The Beast" at 6500m. I am sure it would not be possible to take it to 6000m "Fully Loaded", but should be able to reach there with a "useful" combat load.

hnair...you rock \m/
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Bala Vignesh wrote:First off, Thanks a load for sharing the pics of the LCH and ALH.. Its good to see the program progress..
Sorry bangalore gurus I am no longer live in Bangalore to host it. Last time it was fun. Let me know when you are hosting. Will come to meet you all. By the way I am in TN now if there is any meet in Chennai I can travel and attend.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

shiv wrote:Aksai Chin is 5000 meters.
What about the rest of the Tibetan plateau

The Himalayan-Tibetan orogen was created by the Indo-Asian collision over the past 70-50 Ma. Significant crustal shortening (at least 1400 km) which leads to eventual construction of the Cenozoic Tibet Plateau, began more or less synchronously in the Eocene (50-40 Ma) (figure 1). The orogen, which is the youngest and most spectacular active continent collisional belt on Earth, has long been known as the golden key to the global orogenic mechanism, and the natural laboratory for continental dynamics theory.
Tibet is the largest, highest and flattest plateau in Earth with an average elevation exceeding 5000 m. It is bound by the deserts of the Tarim and Qaidam Basins to the north, the Himalayan, Karakoram, and Pamir mountain chains to its south and west but its eastern margin is more diffuse (figure 2). The Tibetan plateau was uplifted more than 4 km and the crust under the central part of it has thickened up to 70 km (double the thickness of most continental crust). Although several models have tried to explain how such topography formed, we still have much to learn.
Last edited by svinayak on 09 May 2012 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

10,000ft is claimed as the avg height of tibet plateau...same as Ladakh plain areas like Leh.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Tiger HAD testing... Maybe future variants of LCH Could incorporate some of the features present uptop! Wishful thinking, but depending on how much weight is shredded in the current LCH, it is very doable!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Craig Alpert wrote:http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/i ... way_lg.jpg

Tiger HAD testing... Maybe future variants of LCH Could incorporate some of the features present uptop! Wishful thinking, but depending on how much weight is shredded in the current LCH, it is very doable!
Well I can see a hideous orange thing sitting right in front of the front cockpit blinding the chap there and humongous ugly tourist windows, no electro optical sensor and a radar that can only see front and sides and a stupid looking floppy used condom like thing hanging off the gun. I hope none of those is going to get incorporated. Wiki says the service ceiling is 4000 meters. Enough to go and crash into the side of a Himalayan mountain :roll:
Last edited by shiv on 10 May 2012 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

shiv wrote:[Re: Tiger-HAD] Wiki says the service ceiling is 4000 meters. Enough to go and crash into the side of a Himalayan mountain :roll:
:rotfl:

This is great! I actually laughed out loud.