The 2012 Olympics Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
archan
Forum Moderator

The 2012 Olympics Thread

Post by archan »

All discussions related to the 2012 Olympics go here.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: The 2012 Olympics Thread

Post by Singha »

I am looking forward to two events the 100m and the marathon...two extreme ends of the performance spectrum...people warm up for 1 hr to put in <10 sec of afterburner ..... and people run for 2+ hrs at a speed that will kill 99% humans with organ and metabolic failure....the outer limits.
that apart the 200m , 400m, 800m, 1500m, 5000m and 10k are prestigious events that should be fun to watch...apart from mens gymnastics gods of the roman rings and the pommel horse...

may the mightiest warriors win!
let the games begin!
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

I am hoping to see women's beach volleyball without weather playing the spoilsport.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^ the weather is said to be cold and people will use less beachy clothing. in any case do you really want to run against women who go 1000 pushups a day routinely?
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Yes Sir, The weather is predicted to be wet and cold hence the concern. I can't go against women who do 10 pushups a day, what to talk about scores.

As far hopes, I hope to see Indian Hockey team in top 8, Atl east 2 medals in Boxing, one in Tennis, another one in Badminton (Would Love if Jwala Gutta can get one medal) , one more in Shooting and one unexpected medal from God knows where. If any of these medals is Gold then balle balle !!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^You Forgot archery saar...
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Mary Kom - for Gold
member_23674
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23674 »

I am rooting for Saina Nehwal(Gold) and other colour medals in Archery,Shooting,Mixed doubles Tennis.Not much hope in hockey unfortunately.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Yogeshwar Dutt seems a good bet if he can replicate his form of the Commonwealth/Asiads...
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

what was our tally last time and will be break it?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

1 gold by Abhinav Bindra in 10m Air Rifle.
1 Bronze by Vijender Singh in 75KG Boxing
1 Bronze by Sushil Kumar in 66 KG Wrestling.

----
Olympics is totally different level of competition. All the other competitions in between the 4 years of Olympics are sort of build up to the highest level of competition.

I will be happy If we can improve our tally from 3 to 5 with 2 golds and rest silver or bronze.

I am expecting that Bindra, Vijender, Sushil, Saina will get medals.
I am hoping that Kom in Boxing, Jwala Gutta in Badminton, Dipika Kumari in Archery get something.

The other qualified boxers
Devendro Singh, Shiva Thapa, Jai Bhagwan, Manoj Kumar, Vikas Krishan Yadav,Sumit Sangwan could get something and it depends upon the draw. The coach along with team is already in europe from last one month getting use to the weather.

The shooting team has competition right on July 28th could get lucky.
Abhinav Bindra
Joydeep Karmakar
Vijay Kumar
Gagan Narang
Sanjeev Rajput
Manavjit Singh Sandhu
Ronjan Sodhi
Shagun Chowdhary
Rahi Sarnobat
Heena Sidhu
Annuraj Singh

I am not so sure about Tennis due to ongoing feud between the sportsmen and women. Our best hope is in mixed doubles.

Somdev Devvarman Tennis
Mahesh Bhupathi
Rohan Bopanna
Leander Paes
Vishnu Vardhan
Rushmi Chakravarthi
Sania Mirza

No hopes in Weightlifting but could be surprised.
------
Katulu Ravi Kumar
Ngangbam Soniya Chanu

We might get something in wrestling but depends upon the draw.
---
Amit Kumar
Yogeshwar Dutt
Sushil Kumar
Narsingh Pancham Yadav
Geeta Phogat

No hopes Athletics

Basanta Bahadur Rana
Baljinder Singh
Gurmeet Singh
Irfan Kolothum Thodi
Ram Singh Yadav
Vikas Gowda
Om Prakash Karhana
Renjith Maheshwary
Tintu Luka
Sudha Singh
Seema Antil
Mayookha Johny
Krishna Poonia
Sahana Kumari
Last edited by SBajwa on 23 Jul 2012 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Among athletes we would have discuss throwers in finals and if lucky may be couple of runners in finals but none finishing with any medals., for which they will to perform above and beyond their capability.

I am impressed by Ram Singh Yadav (a marathon runner from Army) he didn't qualified in Beijing olympics but since then he practiced hard and now is qualified for London Olympics. He might break the Indian national record for Marathon which is 2:12:00. But in Asian games he was 15th with 2:39.

and our qualified walkers Basant Bahadur Rana and Irfan KT had to buy shoes from their own money as Athletics Federation of India didn't provided them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

atleast all should try for personal bests, national records and some could challenge asian records as well...
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Here is the analysis of the 11 qualified shooters., There is lot of depth in each area of shooting.

Abhinav Bindra --- 10 M air rifle is currently ranked at #2

Joydeep Karmakar --- 50M Rifle

Vijay Kumar -- 25 M rapid fire air pistol (Army) ranked at #9
http://www.olympicgoldquest.in/ogq/athl ... ykumar.htm

Gagan Narang -- is world record holder in 10M air rifle but currently ranked at #9 and has qualified for 50m rifle along with Sanjeev Rajput.
http://www.olympicgoldquest.in/ogq/athl ... narang.htm

Sanjeev Rajput -- ranked 29th in 50m Rifle.
http://www.olympicgoldquest.in/newsletter/rtl9d.html

Manavjit Singh Sandhu -- Trap shooter currently ranked at #3 in world., but locals have huge advantage.

Ronjan Sodhi --- The world number 1 in Double trap shooting and successfully defended his title earlier this year.

Shagun Chowdhary --- shotgun

Rahi Sarnobat --- 25m Air Pistol

Heena Sidhu -- 10m Air Pistol

Annuraj Singh -- 10m Air pistol and 25m sports pistol.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Schedule for Indian Hockey Team

1. Netherlands at 4:00 pm Monday July 30th.
2. New Zealand at 1:45 pm Wed August 1st.
3. Germany at 1:45 pm Friday August 3rd
4. Korea at 1:45 pm Sunday August 5th
5. Belgium at 4:00 pm Tuesday August 7th.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i am expecting medals in shooting, archery, boxing and wrestling both mens and womens - maybe 3 golds, 5 silvers and 7 bronzes
plus quite a few getting into the top 10
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Qualified boxers (The most number of boxers India has ever sent to Olympics)

Sumit Sangwan (61 kg)
Shiva Thapa (56kg) Youngest Indian ever to qualify for Olympics
Vijender Singh (75 kg)
L Devendro Singh (49kg)
Jai Bhagwan (60kg)
Manoj Kumar (64kg)
Vikas Krishan (69kg)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 112611.cms

looks how our medalist who failed a gender is treated vs how SA flagbearer will be a similar athlete.

and even worse is how pinaki pramanik has been treated, subjected to ridicule by leering male cops and dragged over the coals, illegal MMS video of her undergoing sex test "leaked" by some miscreant.

as a nation we need to mature and learn how to protect our people be it a fisherman or a athlete, the real powers in the world stand up for their own people even if their case is not so strong.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

SBajwa wrote:Schedule for Indian Hockey Team

Dammit, if the times are in IST, will miss most as they are on weekdays when im still in office onlee.. :((
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Lalmohan wrote:i am expecting medals in shooting, archery, boxing and wrestling both mens and womens - maybe 3 golds, 5 silvers and 7 bronzes
plus quite a few getting into the top 10
AoA...amen to that.

Even the thought of the national anthem playing makes all my hair stand up and i almost cried due to happiness when Abhinav was standing on the podium in 2008.
If it happens 3 times, i might just die of happiness and goosebumps!!!
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

I think some of us are getting too hopeful. We don't know if Beijing-08 will turn out to be just a fluke. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Where is Local Paul when you need him the most for Reverse Jinx ?
I predict we will get 0 medals in London-12 (Here I did my bit).
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

competition in events like archery and shooting is murderous...one slip and you move from #1 to #5 in blink of an eye. I would be happy with 2 golds overall.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I am WA mullah's student india will not get any medals(hope the famed reverse jinx theory works)
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Also in Olympics, Luck also matters. You can get a medal if your toughest opponent meets you in medal round but if you meet him/her in QF or before, your goose is cooked. You may also get or lose medal depending upon if you are peaking at the right time.
Lets hope that this will be best Olympics for Indian contingent ?
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

me Guruji taught me "always start with the basic" hence most basic aspect of Olympic:

Every Olympics gives birth to mascots, most of them highly forgettable. Just try and remember a decent mascot from the last 40 years _ they don't actually leap out at you
, Misha the bear maybe from Moscow 1980.

London has come up with Wenlock and Mandeville, named after towns in England and supposedly representing droplets of steel used in building the Olympic stadium. They are not that easy to describe, but you'll be seeing enough of them in the next three weeks. They have one eye, a face resembling a camera and a body like a portly person in an ill-fitting jumpsuit. They definitely don't look cuddly, but apparently appeal to kids. So that's all right then. one turd worldi described them as looking like the result of a ''drunken one-night stand between a Teletubby and a Dalek [the alien mutants from Doctor Who]'', and he wasn't far off the mark. I would have preferred the Big Ben with arms and legs, which was one of the alternatives, but it did not pass the audition.

At least they are an improvement on the 1996 Atlanta mascot called Izzy. It was the first mascot made by computer, and looked it. Nobody really knew how to describe it, although the word ''hideous'' put in an appearance. The Los Angeles Times called it: ''A little mutant monstrosity that was born in the toxic dump of somebody's imagination.'' one turd worldi (yet again) claimed it resembled a ''two-headed toad'' while another viewed it as ''a genetic experiment gone horribly wrong''. Perhaps ''sperm with sneakers'' was the most accurate.

And naturally it became the most popular mascot there has ever been.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand predicts maximum of 5 medals if lucky and zero if not. I do not expect Bindra, Vijender or Sushil to win anything at all this time but have hopes from others.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

'Toilet trouble' at Olympic Games Village
The boxer, who had also competed in the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, said in retrospect the facilities inside the apartment in the 2010 Games Village seemed much better.
The 'toilet trouble' brings into light the complaint by Australian hockey coach Ric Charlesworth, who was livid that the original men's hockey draw gave his players three early morning starts.
Now you can expect the White Pakis to trash the apartment.

Link
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

by Sum
SBajwa wrote:
Schedule for Indian Hockey Team

Dammit, if the times are in IST, will miss most as they are on weekdays when im still in office onlee.
nope!! these are london times. Add 4 1/2 hours if you are in India (Delhi) or reduce 5 hours if you are in East Time zone (New york)

1. Netherlands at 4:00 pm Monday July 30th., 11:00 AM in EST (usa / canada east), 8:30 pm in India
2. New Zealand at 1:45 pm Wed August 1st. 8:45 AM in EST, 6:15 pm in India.
3. Germany at 1:45 pm Friday August 3rd. 8:45 AM in ESt, 6:15 pm in India
4. Korea at 1:45 pm Sunday August 5th, 8:45 Am in EST, 6:15 in India
5. Belgium at 4:00 pm Tuesday August 7th. 11:00 AM in EST and 8:30 pm in India
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

if you search around and look at the flats, they are destined to be highrise housing for low income folks after the games. the construction has that clapboard feel and fake air of perfection, backed by particle board and lots of gel that western constructors specialize in, the furniture is wal mart grade, the bedrooms are tiny and so are the beds. its more in nature of student dorm housing.

I think its probably ok though, not every country can make a luxury complex out of the games villages....the CWG flats sold for very high prices after the games and were clearly designed for a higher income segment.

only way to host olympics is to build facilities to the minimum cost and size possible, smallish galleries because TV rights fetches bulk of money, disposable prefab stuff for many things like the huge media center , leased or gifted equipment in exchange for eqpt vendors getting display space...for instance netz would love to brag about 'connecting the games' etc.

otherwise its a money pit.

security should be outsourced to the pakistan army. set a thief to control the thieves.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the main stadium itself will be 'shrunk' in capacity after the games and turned into a more modest venue - which is the only way to keep it commercially viable. i hear that much of what was built for the athens olympics is gathering dust
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and beijing too - 2008 - no prizes for guessing that one :mrgreen:

our mercantile brit brothers are already selling off the village furniture...http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... re-on-sale

http://www.remainsofthegames.co.uk/
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Pre-emptively starting anti-jinx mantra while you guys daydream about top 10 finishing:

We won't win any medals onlee
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

greek triple jumper babe has been expelled from national sqaud after making racist tweets
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Are all the Britishers around and about the venue good talkers?

Any idea of the scene about perfect pronunciations, pomp and show at individual level.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

Amitabh bachchan will carry olympic torch tomorrow.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Archery - 1 Expecting from Women's event individual or Team.
Boxing - 1
Shooting - 1 If it is previous year than definitely more than 1 medal would be fair expectation but results in to competitions leading up to London are not encouraging.

Yes expecting 3 medals ! But I would like to loose this bet desperately.

-Ankit
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Deepaki Kumari from Jharkhand is world #1.

Indian archers get first feel of Lord's

London:Indian archers got their first feel of the hallowed turf at Lord's, cricket's most famous venue where the Olympic archery competition will be staged.

The cricket link was prominently emphasised as Australian World Cup winning skipper Steve Waugh returned to the venue of one of his biggest triumphs as he sought to lift the profile of archery in his new role as an athlete liaison officer for wielders of the bow and arrow.

The sun came out bright and the warm day provided a perfect setting for the archers to get a feel of the place, and the wind was not there to trouble the archers as it had done over practice at the outside venue over the past few days.
Indian archers get first feel of Lord's

The significance of training at Lord's was not lost on anyone, not just the Indians.

"We're really happy to be playing at the centre of Lord's," said Rahul Banerjee, a member of the Indian men's team that fancies itself to get on the podium if they maintain their form.

Banerjee said like the rest of India, he too followed cricket and has watched action from Lord's on television.

"Sachin Tendulkar is my cricketing hero and I have watched many Test matches that have been played here," Banerjee said after the team's familiarisation session in the centre.

They will only return to the centre of the Lord's arena for the competition now.

"It's really good to get some experience on the main field, and it went really well," he said.

"This ground is historic. If we win a medal here, it will be even more historic for us."

The venue is synonymous with cricket, but archery has played a part in its history. An archery event was first staged at Lord's more than 300 years ago.

An archery competition was held at the old Lord's ground in 1789 by the Royal Society for Lovers of Bows, which staged target days at Lord's.

In 2007, the Indian women won an archery tournament at Lord's, but that was not staged in the centre. The cricket angle became more pronounced on Wednesday as Waugh returned to the venue of his 1999 World Cup triumph, and soon got into the archery mood with a special crash course.

Waugh said he hoped to raise the profile of archery. "The great thing about the Olympics and archery being at Lord's is that it will raise the profile," said Waugh.

He said it was hard to get attention for minor sport back home in Australia.

"It would be a great sport for kids to get involved with. Lord's as an archery venue was different," Waugh said.

"I never thought I would see it like this and I'm sure the MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) members didn't either," said Waugh, who felt it would also help Lord's in some way.

"It increases the profile of Lord's across the world," asserted Waugh, who said his archery marksmanship would improve after the crash course.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Problem with hockey team is one and the only!! that's weak defense!! We need just one good defensive player like Pargat Singh and couple of average players.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Rowers all geared up for big challenges

London: The Indian rowing team arrived in the British capital for the upcoming Olympics but instead of the regular athletes Village, the three-member team checked into a special Rowing Village at the Royal Holloway here.

Olympics 2012 | Schedule | Venues | Medals Tally

The Rowing Village is over 60 miles from the Olympic Games Village at Stratford. The Royal Holloway is a constituent College of the University of London and was founded in 1879.

It was earlier a Women's College and was officially opened by Queen Victoria in 1886.

"The Olympic Rowers (Men and Women) participating in London Olympics are staying in the Hostel accommodation of Royal Holloway College and the ambiance is wonderful," said the Indian contingent's Deputy chef-de-mission Brig P K Muralidharan Raja.

"After having had a guided tour of the facilities at the Royal Holloway, I went to the Eton Dorney Rowing Course where the Indian Rowing Team were waiting for their turn to start their training sessions," he said.

The Indian Team comprises Swarn Singh Virk in the Single Sculls and Sandeep Kumar and Manjeet Singh in the Lightweight Double Sculls.

"The Rowing Contingent has hired Fillipi Boats which are of Italian make and are considered to be one of the best in the World and brought necessary oars with them from India," Raja said.

"Although Coach Ismail Baig and his team are happy with the arrangements being provided, they still have a crib that they do not get the feeling or atmosphere as prevalent in an Olympic Games Village."

"Ismail feels that this resembles a normal World Championship only. So he is planning to bring his 3 wards to come and see the Olympic Games Village so that they are relaxed and enjoy themselves before participation in the Rowing events at Rowing village," Raja added.

At the Games Village at Stratford, shooter Joydeep Karmarkar joined his compatriots Abhinav Bindra, Manavjit Sandhu and Ronjan Sodhi.

"They have all settled down well and they are awaiting for their additional guns and equipment which are expected in the next two days," Raja said.

Meanwhile, the archery team had a full day's training session at the Lord's Cricket Ground from early morning till late in the afternoon.

The Archery event starts on July 27 even before the opening ceremony commences at night.

When asked about his first impression of the Olympic Games Village, top archer Tarundeep Rai was all praise for the accommodation and all arrangements including food and beverages being provided at the Games Village Dining Hall.