Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SagarAg
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by SagarAg »

^ I think its called Conning tower as described by wiki. It supports periscope, communication antennas, radars even sails of a submarine.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Surya wrote:thanks andy

you are on my good list :) :mrgreen:

after all we share Oz as a background :)
Ah yes ofcourse saar in some ways we both have a certain gora pakiness in us no..? :mrgreen:

P.S have you been able to find a good shepherds pie yet...joo know you can always come down to melbourne to attend the next avalon airshow in feb/march 2013 enjoy looking at the bountiful sights and sounds of some beautiful birds :mrgreen: and I will shout you a shepherds pie ey!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AdityaM wrote:The tower is pretty big in proportion to the tube.
What is the function of the tower - Is it a housing for machinery or does it also serve as a manning station inside.
Since all subs have this, obviously its role is very much required, but cant it be eliminated for a sleeker design and instead make the sub longer to accommodate the machinery and command center?
Aditya that is an interesting question. I have never heard it asked before and it has never occurred to me to ask.

I know that the conning tower has a passage that is wide enough to accommodate a man and a ladder. In addition there are ducts for periscope and other long thingies. I suspect that it is the "long telescoping thingies" that demand extra length that cannot be accommodated in hull alone. But even so the conning tower seems bigger than the space required for all that. Most probably there may be other sensors in there and extra ducts/pipes for refueling/air/access in port etc. Just a guess.
member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

shiv wrote:
What is the function of the tower - Is it a housing for machinery or does it also serve as a manning station inside.
Since all subs have this, obviously its role is very much required, but cant it be eliminated for a sleeker design and instead make the sub longer to accommodate the machinery and command center?
Aditya that is an interesting question. I have never heard it asked before and it has never occurred to me to ask.
If I am not wrong, a submarine escape pod is also housed in there.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

As detailed in the picture, the sail allows you to increase the length of all your masts and antennas, thus allowing you to operate your hull at a deeper depth. This makes you less visible from an aircraft, while also allowing more latitude on maintaining depth control (more room for error before the ship hull becomes broached).

This becomes even more important with non-hull penetrating masts, such as communication masts and modern day photonics masts (the replacement for the Periscope), as all of these are stored in the hydro-dynamically designed sail. These do not penetrate into the pressure hull, and are kept completely exterior to the submarine. The taller your sail, the longer you are able to extend these masts, and once again the more depth seperation you can enjoy. Without a sail, there is no place to store these masts and antennas.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

andy

not since I returned from Melbourne and even there they sent me into the suburbs to find a good shepherd's pie.

good ol days you could walk into any downtownpie shop and get one are going fast :(
member_23684
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23684 »

There was discussion here about a similar/same question :http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=539975

This answer made most sense:
The sail does indeed give the periscopes an area to retract into, along with the other masts and antennas.

In addition, when a submarine is at periscope depth, you can't allow the main hull to get too close to the surface, or the Bernoulli effect create a lift effect that can cause the submarine to broach the surface. You counteract this by keeping the submarine a few feet deeper, but then the masts and antennas would have to be much longer, increasing the chance of damage or breaking them off. The answer is to build a sturdy platform from which the masts and antennas can extend from--which is the sail.

Finally, you need the sail to operate on the surface, as others have stated. At high speed on the surface, water does indeed sweep over the whole main hull. Even at low speeds, waves routinely wash over the whole hull out in the open ocean. For this reason, Navy personnel have to wear safety harnesses if they need to go on the hull outside of protected waterways.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

The canopy seems up and the flames are a cooler orange than the usual blue....

Must be summertime at Dzemgi area :lol:

(the site says that is a CGI, not real photom)
Amitabh
BRFite

Arjun MkII

Post by Amitabh »

Here you go boys and girls (admins please advise regarding copyright issues).

Source: The Week, August 5, 2012
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Excellent...thanks for sharing.
SKrishna
BRFite

Post by SKrishna »

^^^^ The Army should give it full marks on the looks department. (I sure its as mean a performer as it dapper looks) :wink:
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Bubbac wrote:
This answer made most sense:
The sail does indeed give the periscopes an area to retract into, along with the other masts and antennas.
Thanks, but like air refueling pods or the extending probes from space shuttle, can there not be an extending arm from the subs, thus saving the coning tower
Last edited by AdityaM on 29 Jul 2012 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^^^Thanks a million, man that looks deadly :D
Boreas
BRFite

Re: Arjun MkII

Post by Boreas »

Amitabh wrote:Image

thanks for sharing.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

How many people know that T-90's turret is also kind of boxy. It looks 'sleek' only due to armour tiles placed in similar fashion
Khalsa
BRFite

Re: Arjun MkII

Post by Khalsa »

Amitabh wrote:Image

Many Thanks for Sharing.
Drool, awesome, progress, evolution and above all Vishwaas.

Thank you again. We need more lots of more high res photos of this beast.
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

Man that is an awesome looking tank 8) Is it an optical illusion due to the ERA add on or does the turret silhouette appear more streamlined?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

WHOA! That is one good looking tank. WOW! :)
mayankdr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mayankdr »

^^^ I can't see mounted coaxial machine gun on Arjun MKII tank.
Great looks though!!
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

inshallah, finally we have a weapon platform with real-estate available for future maal!! No more "Light-whatever"!!! We need shakeelasque platforms that can engage a few herrows without sweating
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

one more with a bit more kit
SKrishna
BRFite

Post by SKrishna »

^^^ This looks like the T-90 Bhisma to me????? :roll: :roll:
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

I think so too. It looks like a T90.
Added later- you can catch the Arjun MK2 pic in Austinji's post in the Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Of course it is a T-90. Its from a desert wargame.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Yea its a T-90. this is what happens when you use your computer without your glasses. I apologize
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

jamwal wrote:How many people know that T-90's turret is also kind of boxy. It looks 'sleek' only due to armour tiles placed in similar fashion
T-90 turret design is not boxy but some what close to doughnut shaped , Boxy design are the classical western turret design
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

looking at size of proposed missiles in PAKFA, looks like a huge LRAAM. probably 4 or 5 smaller R77 can fix in that space.

do I see a murgi cage on the T90 - for troops in field to make fresh meals with their own stock of live fowl? :)
the khaleed will no doubt have a bigger goat cage on the engine deck and a inbuilt tandoor using waste heat from the exhaust :twisted:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Singha wrote:do I see a murgi cage on the T90 - for troops in field to make fresh meals with their own stock of live fowl? :)
the khaleed will no doubt have a bigger goat cage on the engine deck.
:rotfl:

In a lighter vein: looking at the pics of the Arjun Mk-II (or is it Mk-1.5?) and the T-90, I kinda get the feeling the DRDO SDREs finally realized that the beauty of a tank in the eyes of the Army Armored Brass folks goes only skin deep and decided to put make-up on the Arjun similar to the T-90. Now Arjun is just as "sexy" as the Bhishma and hence the flirting whistles from the BRFites and the Army.

:rotfl:
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Au contraire it looks more like the Leo 2A5/6 thanks to the wedge-shaped, spaced add-on armour to the turret front. So just as the Mk I looked a lot like the earlier Leo 2A 4, the Mk2 looks like the follow ons with similar capability growth.

All that DRDO has to do is paint some Iron crosses on the side and call it Tendua tank instead of Arjun and the Army will be in the bag.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

where is lord berwal
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Both the T-90 and Arjun Mk2 pics show what look like "Normandy prongs" in front which were used to plough through hedgerows and other obstacles. What are these for in the desert? Barbed wire?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

Mines !! cross minefields...

do u seriously believe tanks will use ploughs to cut thru barbed wires !!
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

photographs from INS Sahyadri's commissioning

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... ?g2_page=1

this
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... s.JPG.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arre bhai, why is everyone hell-bent on screwing this thread with squiggly black texts? :((

Admins & Mods: Could there be a rule in place that says every post to this thread must be accompanied by sharing a photu
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

manjgu wrote:Mines..
Ah, so. Thanks.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

This is a T-90 turret with those ERA Tiles:

Leo

Upgraded Leo turret

Arjun is following the same pattern. I wonder how much these extra armour tiles weigh
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Delights a jingo's heart, it does! :twisted:
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Yesterday: Tel Aviv - Ben Gurion, Israel
First Bombardier Global 5000 for Image

Israeli reg - 4X-COF so some phitting-bitting to be done still.....
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Looks like missile targets:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 1.JPG.html
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 2.JPG.html
Hiten wrote:photographs from INS Sahyadri's commissioning

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... ?g2_page=1

this
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... s.JPG.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arre bhai, why is everyone hell-bent on screwing this thread with squiggly black texts? :((

Admins & Mods: Could there be a rule in place that says every post to this thread must be accompanied by sharing a photu