LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
rajanb
BRFite

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by rajanb »

ArmenT wrote:
rajanb wrote:Also, the fact that they want to india genius so many components means a lot of changes have been frozen after throrough testing through a specified minimum# of hours and conditions.
That's interesting, because I would imagine the opposite to be true. If they're going to replace one supplier with another, I would think that they would retest to make sure that the new supplier meets the specs of the old supplier as well. Anyone care to explain?
ArmenT

Perhaps I should have been more specific and said that the design was tested and frozen. We are not talking of changing of components, but substituting them, with same specs from India genious sources.

When you switch vendors for components a few things come to mind :

a) The availability of detailed specs; if not available then go to b)
b) In certain cases they are also looking at the foreign vendor giving manufacturing rights to an Indian company. ADA/DRDO would catalyse it by helping the foreign vendor meet up with prospective Indian manufacturers.
b) Regardless of the component being from a different manufacturer/source, or from the OEM, you would still do stringent quality checks and testing. However, in this case it would not be a test of the design but of the assembly with components.

The above is a welcome move to outsource companies in the relevant sector rather than have HAL do it all.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Rajanb sir it is definitely a good thing, but we dont know if the 2000 remark was a rounded off remark i.e., 1941 was rounded to 2000 i dont think it is but still

BTW looking at the list of components

Items categorised under Avionics show they are replacing working ones like the TACAN antenna, HMDS components, RWR antenna so it is a good sign. But why no news :(
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

suryag wrote:Rajanb sir it is definitely a good thing, but we dont know if the 2000 remark was a rounded off remark i.e., 1941 was rounded to 2000 i dont think it is but still

BTW looking at the list of components

Items categorised under Avionics show they are replacing working ones like the TACAN antenna, HMDS components, RWR antenna so it is a good sign. But why no news :(
SuryaG, please drop the sir. You give me more credit than I deserve.

I haven't heard an LCA in BLR for quite some time. So either they aren't here and are continuing their tests at Leh and the sea trials after the Rajasthan trials. We did see, that over a two day period, one of the LSPs did seven sorties! So they maybe trying to simulate actual deployment conditions for the AirForce. But one thing for sure, they are trying to keep up the pace because they want to see the IOC2/FOC achieved as soon as possible.

Now that the LCA has reached a point in its testing/development, we are going to hear less and less of its details. This has been the case with all other a/c too. Lot of fanfare till a certain point of maturity or induction and then details dry up. Changes will continue but all hush hush.

I used to be an avid follower of the MiG21 induction. Then news dried up. And, one day, I got to sit in its cockpit and my eyes popped when I saw how they had replaced most of the cockpit with western avionics.

As to why they are not updating the site with these details or we are still stuck on 12th July #s. I would believe the former is true. So keep the faith. :D
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Sannatta (Deafening silence)
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

no flights in blore ? wonder where the birds are, did they fly away somewhere ?
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

suryag wrote:no flights in blore ? wonder where the birds are, did they fly away somewhere ?
Nope. No flights. Every day there are MiG21/Jag/Hawk floating around.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=19580

About the Air Force show to be held in February next year in Pokharan firing range in Jaisalmer, he said that Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas will display its capabilities for the first time.
Get ready!
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

SaiK wrote:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=19580

About the Air Force show to be held in February next year in Pokharan firing range in Jaisalmer, he said that Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas will display its capabilities for the first time.
Get ready!
Which possibly means that AirForce pilots will be doing the demo. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the IAF has already deputed a WingCo for the recent trials of the LCA. Do not remember his name and the ADA Employees tab reduses to open. saying security issues. :shock:
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

That could be a very good news i.e. no issue discovered during tests :D

But still I would like to know like everyone else where are babies :?: and why we can't hear their cries :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

babies have grown up
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you mean the 4th leg too?
member_23657
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23657 »

This is exciting :D
Can't wait to see it hit the IOC-2 milestone very soon.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Tejas aircraft to be put to test at Pokhran in February 2013

You've got to love the DDM. Check out the wonderful pic of LCA in that article.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

^^^^
Obviously he doesn't know his @r$e from his elbow. May he be beset with writer's block. :evil:

Do not even know if these babies are back at home base or are they still loitering around northern and western skies?
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

assume for a minute that the economic times copy writer page lay out guy does not know anything about aircraft, at least the editor or the autor should supply the right jpg of the LCA to match the report.

This is where the chalat hai attitude of DDM and the readers shows.
member_23657
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23657 »

Yogi_G wrote:Tejas aircraft to be put to test at Pokhran in February 2013

I can't stop laughing after seeing the image inset in the article ...
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Better News on LCA and the right JPG attached!

http://idrw.org/?p=13580#more-13580
India’s Home Grown Fighter aircraft Tejas will be part of Indian air force’s ’Vayu-Shakti’ Fire Power Demonstration . ’Vayu Shakti’ will be unleashed at the Pokhran firing ranges (Jaisalmer district) in the deserts of Rajasthan in the third week of February next year.
Air Marshal Anjan Kumar Gogoi told media in recently held press conference that “Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas will display its capabilities for the first time in Pokhran firing ranges” . About 100 planes of different variety like the Sukhoi 30s, Mirage 2000, Jaguars, MIG 21, attack helicopters, transport aircrafts including AN-32 and IL-78 MKI will display their full power.

Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) will be used to monitor the mammoth exercise, while an unmanned aerial vehicle will stream live video images of the target destruction.

According to sources close to idrw.org , Tejas also successfully completed 2000 Accident free Test flights recently and is inching to getting IOC-2 which will be done by end of 2012 .

Participation of Tejas in ’Vayu-Shakti’ shows the level of confidence Which Tejas aircraft has earned in Indian air force to be part of largest Fire Power Demonstration to be conducted by Indian air force .
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

They changed the picture ??
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

krishnan wrote:

They changed the picture ??
yeah. proper picture is in place now.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

adityadange wrote: yeah. proper picture is in place now.
What aircraft was it earlier?
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

The earlier one looked like a Harrier to me. That was in ET, not in idrw
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Definitely not a harrier. It was aplhajet.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

mm.. next time, we need to take a snip and preserve it somewhere in the imageshack/fileupload etc.
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

Including Tejas in firepower demo next year shows shows the confidence that the AF now has in it. Some good news at last. Hope they will induct it in numbers and it proves the platform to evolve advanced technologies for the AMCA.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

This was on that article.

Cheers....
kmc_chacko
BRFite

Post by kmc_chacko »

^^ :lol: :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I saw a TV ticker today that claimed Tejas involved in more weapons exercises in Pokhran at present.

not sure if the same report was mangled by the TV channel also
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I am beginning to think LCA RCS could be brought to the levels of Rafale RCS or better [.3-to-.5 possible - typhoon levels]. A few shape cuttings on the joints, plus absorbents applied to both internal [assuming composites permeate] and external structure, including the pylons.

but a wish of 0.1 or less would make it near SR-71 levels (0.01?) should not be unreachable either for the later tranches?

B2 level tech is what needed.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Found Tejas Drawing done by a Humza Tariq a art student from pakistan in FB

member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

I knew the pakis couldn't make a decent 4th gen fighter, now i know they can't draw one either :rotfl:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

the question would be why we are interested in a paki drawing, let alone their interest in drawing enemy planes?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

<rant>Scoured the net no news on the birds at all anywhere(of course if there was something i know jingos would have put it here) I sincerely hope Rajanb ji's MIG21 story applies here. Btw guys am already looking forward for Tejas in AI2013. Where is that LSP8?</rant>

ADA guys should periodically release some titbits so that jingos here can go indulge in hot air analysis :D
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

The paki guy seems confused between a Mirage-III/V and LCA.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

surya ji, the word is tidbits.

Learned something!
Last edited by PratikDas on 28 Aug 2012 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
ajay_hk
BRFite

Post by ajay_hk »

India’s Light Combat Aircraft Prepares For Operational Clearance
By Jay Menon
Source: Aerospace Daily & Defense Report
August 27, 2012
NEW DELHI — India’s indigenously developed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is likely to win its final operational service clearance, following testing as part of an air exercise in February.
The single-seat, single-engine supersonic fighter will be put to the test during the “Iron Feast” exercise to be held in Pokhran in the western Indian state of Rajasthan.

“The Tejas will display its capabilities in the exercise, where its lethality, endurance and precision will be tested, and if the aircraft meets all parameters, its first squadron will be deployed in Bengaluru,” says Air Marshal Anjan Kumar Gogoi, chief of Southwestern Air Command.
FOC or IOC2?
khukri
BRFite

Post by khukri »

PratikDas wrote:surya ji, the word is tidbits.
Nope English titbit, US tidbit

titbit [ˈtɪtˌbɪt] esp US, tidbit
n
1. (Cookery) a tasty small piece of food; dainty
2. a pleasing scrap of anything, such as scandal
[perhaps from dialect tid tender, of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

suryag wrote:<rant>Scoured the net no news on the birds at all anywhere(of course if there was something i know jingos would have put it here) I sincerely hope Rajanb ji's MIG21 story applies here. Btw guys am already looking forward for Tejas in AI2013. Where is that LSP8?</rant>

ADA guys should periodically release some titbits so that jingos here can go indulge in hot air analysis :D
They have made the LCA so stealthy that we cannot even see or hear them :((

Even chaiwallahs have no chai!

Glad to see you posting SuryaG :)
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

There used to be a Swedish dude on the forum who felt slighted on comparison between the griper and the LCA. He said the latter was "draggy" and no match for the Gripen. Is he still around?
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

just thinking why did paf get j17 very quickly with rd33 engine which we have for 10 year or so with our mig29 & we go for ge404 & ge 414 engines & then take lot of time evaluating & improving.....

i realized we are to replace mig21 which was a superb fighter of that time & still is LCA is definitely gona go for mass production version don't matter & will be prime candidate for export by DRDO.

just my long term view
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

tushar_m wrote:just thinking why did paf get j17 very quickly with rd33 engine which we have for 10 year or so with our mig29 & we go for ge404 & ge 414 engines & then take lot of time evaluating & improving.....

i realized we are to replace mig21 which was a superb fighter of that time & still is LCA is definitely gona go for mass production version don't matter & will be prime candidate for export by DRDO.

just my long term view
with all due respect to you sir and no offence, but please use punctuation marks in the posts. i had to read thrice to understand what you said. sorry OT.