Indian Space Program Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Hiten
BRFite

Re: Indian Space Program Discussion

Post by Hiten »

tushar_m wrote:does anyone here have info on this project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_%28spacecraft%29
some info about ISRO's RLV project. bit dated, though

http://www.aame.in/2011/08/america-indi ... ogram.html
http://www.aame.in/2011/08/india-space- ... aunch.html
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

kvraghavaiah wrote:
abhishek-nayak wrote:I have a few questions about indian manned space program

1) is the 2016 target on track ?

2) which of the following launchers will be used GSLV 2 or GSLV 3

3) has the construction of the 3rd launch pad started?
I think, you are a young guy with less experience of our country.

My answers:
1)Definitely, never on track. Now the revised expectation is for 2020. The actual year may go to 2022.
2)GSLV 2
3)Not yet started. Even after starting, will be completed only by 2017 or later and will miss a few dedlines before complete readiness.
My two cents:

I don't think there should be any rush for India to have a manned space flight. India's chief competitor in Asia, China, is already a number of years into their manned program. And that was all copied from the Russians, right down to the space suits they wear. So what's the hurry? Who else is on the cusp of sending a man in space for the first time?

I think that if India really wants to show its scientific and intellectual achievements, it should show case its space infrastructure and satellite capabilties. Build a satellite network for relaying data. Of course spy sats ae nice but they are hard to use for public relations. Send sats to planets. Send images back to your deep space network and sat relay system. in other words, have a 24x7 space presence. And don't forget to use Bollywood! They are crucial in interpreting and creating animated videos about what is happening to your deep space missions. I hesitate to use the US as an example but when JPL released "Seven Seconds of Terror" animated space video narrated by different scientists, it seized the nation's attention. Just what the doctor ordered to perk a jaded public from it's been-there-done-that attitude. India can do this too. Oh yes, and please allow real time cameras in mission control at crucial points in your missions. Show the Chinese how a real technical and scientific nation expresses its freedom of thought and *real* technical achievement, not copied from the Russians.
abhishek-nayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek-nayak »

TSJones wrote: My two cents:

I don't think there should be any rush for India to have a manned space flight. India's chief competitor in Asia, China, is already a number of years into their manned program. And that was all copied from the Russians, right down to the space suits they wear. So what's the hurry? Who else is on the cusp of sending a man in space for the first time?

I think that if India really wants to show its scientific and intellectual achievements, it should show case its space infrastructure and satellite capabilties. Build a satellite network for relaying data. Of course spy sats ae nice but they are hard to use for public relations. Send sats to planets. Send images back to your deep space network and sat relay system. in other words, have a 24x7 space presence. And don't forget to use Bollywood! They are crucial in interpreting and creating animated videos about what is happening to your deep space missions. I hesitate to use the US as an example but when JPL released "Seven Seconds of Terror" animated space video narrated by different scientists, it seized the nation's attention. Just what the doctor ordered to perk a jaded public from it's been-there-done-that attitude. India can do this too. Oh yes, and please allow real time cameras in mission control at crucial points in your missions. Show the Chinese how a real technical and scientific nation expresses its freedom of thought and *real* technical achievement, not copied from the Russians.

what if iran sends a man to space before india?
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

then like always we (ISRO and all) will congratulate the other country and then say ...don;t worry that is stolen tech,,,,
we have to focus on other bigger things :cry: :cry: :cry:
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Not gonna happen. Well, if Russia sells them equipment I guess they can do it. Under that criteria, the Sudan could be the next space faring nation. Big deal.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

dhiraj wrote:then like always we (ISRO and all) will congratulate the other country and then say ...don;t worry that is stolen tech,,,,
Does Iran have a deep space network. Have they orbited the moon with a sat? In fact, how many sats have they launched?
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

TSJones wrote:
dhiraj wrote:then like always we (ISRO and all) will congratulate the other country and then say ...don;t worry that is stolen tech,,,,
Does Iran have a deep space network. Have they orbited the moon with a sat? In fact, how many sats have they launched?
ok...ok....that was on a lighter note.... :D
but for God sake....please ISRO bring the semi-cryo and cryo engine quickly....1991 (Glavkosmos issue ) still no cryo engine....2008 sanction for semi cryo ....was said we will have by 6 years.....but no info on the progress yet.....

and finally could ISRO please make the launch telecast a bit more spectacular...i have been watching it for more than 15-20 years now and the same old format....can't they add a few cameras on the rocket.....or do they do this do bring the launch cost down :P
abhishek-nayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek-nayak »

TSJones wrote:Does Iran have a deep space network. Have they orbited the moon with a sat? In fact, how many sats have they launched?
you are forgetting that Iran was able to send satellites to space where as advanced countries like south korea and brazil failed(even with international help).

Iran's space ambitions are very big and to be honest they are growing rapidly in space technology.Also according to some websites they are spending nearly about 3-4 billion $ on their space program.

Who knows what they will be doing in 2020.By the way they are sending a monkey to space in a few months time.But god forbid if they manage to send humans to space before india it would be a crushing blow to india's space program.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

there is a point in Abhishek's statement.....and it all depends on the priority...even in the 60's when first human was being sent to space....i am very much sure they did not care about a crew module to support 3 people and all those stuff....they had to win the race....so they poured money and sent one human to space with a pretty basic rocket.........so it is very much a realistic target for say Iran to sent one human in space by 2020....and if they can send a monkey and bring it back alive in next few months as suggested then it can be earlier than 2020....and it will be one up against India....since we have not done that yet.....and no plans for don;t know when .... :(
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

"Who knows what they will be doing in 2020.By the way they are sending a monkey to space in a few months time.But god forbid if they manage to send humans to space before india it would be a crushing blow to india's space program."

Well, under that criteria I gues the US will feel the heat because we can't currently send anybody into space either. All of France will be shamed too.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

abhishek-nayak wrote:you are forgetting that Iran was able to send satellites to space where as advanced countries like south korea and brazil failed(even with international help).
But god forbid if they manage to send humans to space before india it would be a crushing blow to india's space program.
Please explain why Iran's success or failure in its space missions has a bearing on India's space program. AFAIK, India is not in a pissing contest with other nations in its space missions.

Our Space missions will have better objectives than Dhiraj's amusement (with better camera angles) or Bollywood propoganda etc. TSJones, let ISRO define its needs and objectives. Please stop pretending to be a ISRO cheerleader as your prior positions on Indian defence and space missions are well known to old timers here.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

BijuShet wrote:
abhishek-nayak wrote:
Our Space missions will have better objectives than Dhiraj's amusement (with better camera angles) or Bollywood propoganda etc. TSJones, let ISRO define its needs and objectives. Please stop pretending to be a ISRO cheerleader as your prior positions on Indian defence and space missions are well known to old timers here.

Having better camera angles is not for amusement.. it has a broader PR reason and can inspire future scientists. You never know what spark can ignite someone's imagination and dream...We can do it --- We just don't do it for some strange reasons.. there are hundreds of amateur rocket enthusiasts and their HD videos for their rocket moving up in Youtube
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

TSJ,

Welcome back. Long time.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

JE Menon wrote:TSJ,

Welcome back. Long time.
Ah, thank you JE. I am avoiding the Strategic Issues forum like the plague. And believe it or not, I am feeling better for it.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Prithwiraj wrote:Our Space missions will have better objectives than Dhiraj's amusement (with better camera angles) or Bollywood propoganda etc.
hmmm....so camera angles are for amusement...ok...i don;t mind some amusement in the serious business of rocket launch..... 8)
just check the JPL scientist who was recently shown during curiosity rover decent in Mars...one does not need to be boring just
because he is working in rocket science
as far as better objective is concerned....ISRO has just one rocket available for launch service...i.e the PSLV and honestly i am now bored...heard the first launch report 20 years back in radio...insat/irs .....all been there done that....
even Moon launch by NASA lost interest after 2-3 years.....
We need some spark...something that will raise the nation's interest in space exploration....and increase the scientific capability....
it can be anything(from a good launch coverage ....satellite release in space video....or sending human to space) but make it enticing
so that people want to feel associated ...
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

dude you are quoting me out of the context. I actually supported your assertion of having better camera angles is not for mere amusement. You probably need few days before you get to know how to quote comments during reply... but that's alright.. :)
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Prithwiraj wrote:dude you are quoting me out of the context. I actually supported your assertion of having better camera angles is not for mere amusement. You probably need few days before you get to know how to quote comments during reply... but that's alright.. :)
my mistake....apologies....got it right this time :D
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

better concentrate on more important things like launching our heavy comm sats on our own rockets.
IMO Man rating GSLV is at least 7 years away. it needs a success rate like that of PSLV if not more to be considered for Manned mission. Sustained multiple manned missions is important for any useful research and for that we need to get lot of things corrected on ground before sending man off in space just to show off. Lot needs to be done. and thankfully its been done. you just have to wait few years.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

51 hour countdown for ISRO's 100th mission begins

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 294578.cms
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Court orders compensation to former ISRO scientist
A shattered man, now sits cool and detached
Apart from being a personal tragedy for Shri Nambinarayanan, this was a tragedy that struck ISRO and setback the cryogenic project as well.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Sunday will see PSLV's biggest commercial lift
ISRO officials say it costs about Rs. 90 crore to build the present bare-bones or ‘core alone’ version of the PSLV.

France has chosen an outside launch for a SPOT for the first time: the previous five SPOT satellites went up on aboard earlier versions of European Ariane rocket.

Although Europe now has the new Vega light lifter in the PSLV class, its reliability is still to be proven after a maiden flight this year.

The SPOT 6 contract came to the ISRO from its maker, Astrium SAS, in September 2008.

In an e-mail, a spokesperson for Astrium said: “We needed to launch SPOT 6 quickly… by mid-2012.” Its low weight needed a small launcher and “the PSLV was the best match; its choice was perfectly in line with the longstanding cooperation between Astrium and Antrix.” The two are partners in the global satellite building market.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

chiragAS wrote:better concentrate on more important things like launching our heavy comm sats on our own rockets.
IMO Man rating GSLV is at least 7 years away. it needs a success rate like that of PSLV if not more to be considered for Manned mission. Sustained multiple manned missions is important for any useful research and for that we need to get lot of things corrected on ground before sending man off in space just to show off. Lot needs to be done. and thankfully its been done. you just have to wait few years.
Sir waited for 20 years for cryo and 11 years for reliable GSLV...things are just too slow and conservative in approach....just check for the number of post for the PSLV launch tomorrow...where is the excitement ......i remember a few years back with SRE, Chandrayan, talk of semi - cryo and manned mission...there seems to be sense of urgency and trying to become a big player....but not so much now........
anyway being some one who really wants ISRO to succeed and develop a MOON rocket ASAP :D ... congrats to ISRO on its 100th mission.....All the Success and all the Best
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

live feed...~~?
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

lift off..
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

NDTV Says a successful launch
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

NDTV is getting ahead of PSLV stage 4 which is still firing. Stage performance normal.
Last edited by rahulm on 09 Sep 2012 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

3 stages fired and separated. 4th stage ignited normally. Vehicle is still in powered flight. PSLV has crossed the equator and tracking stations in Mauritius have acquired tracking.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Both satellites successfully ejected in precise orbits.PSLV C21 mission successfully accomplished.
Last edited by rahulm on 09 Sep 2012 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Both satellites have separated and placed in precise orbits.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

launch successful
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Congratulations to ISRO for a successful PSLV launch.
Time has come for ISRO to make significant progress on GSLV and quickly too. It has been a long wait.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

congrats to all the ISRO personnel

one question Mauritius is west south west of Shrihari kota, and I guess the rocket is launched east wards why is that after launch Maritius is confirming the tracking should be east south east of India no?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Pentiah wrote:one question Mauritius is west south west of Shrihari kota, and I guess the rocket is launched east wards why is that after launch Maritius is confirming the tracking should be east south east of India no?
PSLV ideally should fly due south and inject the satellite just short of antartica roundabouts. The trouble is while launching from Sriharikota, PSLV would fly directly over Sri Lanka and many of the lower stages would fall on it. Hence what they do is they launch south eastwards, fly around Sri Lanka and then then continue south.

This of course wastes energy and lowers the payload . For PSLV, Thumba would have been a better location than Sri Harikota for lauches to Polar Orbits.

Ideally once we get the GSLV MKIII and IV versions in, we should get in touch with the Brazilians / Ariane and build a launch pad for these vehicles ,also PSLV in Brazil's Alicantra space center or in Korou. That will allow us to haul a couple of hundred kgs more to orbit as they are bang on the equator. The Russians for eg, have built a brand new Soyuz launch facility in Korou, French Guyana. If ESA /Ariane wont play ball, Brazilians would be more than happy I think . Time to ask them to put money where the mouth is and ask them to back up that South-South co-operation rhetoric with substance.
ravar
BRFite
Location: हिमालयम समारभ्य़ यावत हिन्दु सरोवरम, तम देव निर्मितम देशम हिन्दुस्थानम प्रचक्षते

Post by ravar »

Congratulations ISRO! Way to go!

Felt from the plotting graph that for PS4 there was some deviation initially which got self-corrected which I believe the vehicle is designed to do itself.

Hope DD can get its act together for better production standards (gremlins, focusing shots on videshi visitors for an eternity to the point of making them embarrassed while the launch was on ityadi)

Nowadays, getting the job done is not enough but also how well it is presented in the visual media to garner brand equity and that includes the Interior Design of the Mission Control. I am not getting into a Form vs Function debate, but in my personal opinion, from a visual perspective, the colour combo, the choice of chairs, the space-utilization and the boxy look; all squares/rectangles etc looked lacking in the ID front. Couldn't escape the feeling that it would've been a CPWD work.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Congratulations ISRO and everyone involved. You make us proud.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

ravar wrote:Congratulations ISRO! Way to go!

Nowadays, getting the job done is not enough but also how well it is presented in the visual media to garner brand equity and that includes the Interior Design of the Mission Control. I am not getting into a Form vs Function debate, but in my personal opinion, from a visual perspective, the colour combo, the choice of chairs, the space-utilization and the boxy look; all squares/rectangles etc looked lacking in the ID front. Couldn't escape the feeling that it would've been a CPWD work.
Boss its like soviet style functional is enough...

Ask Kalmadi to re furnish the Mission control room, he will do excellent job but ISRO will have no money left for the next twenty years
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Congratulations to ISRO and PSLV team
Vidyarthi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vidyarthi »