Indian Armed Forces Academies

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Pegasus,

Here are my details of GD, GP, GT, CT and IT -

GD -
In GD we were told to choose from topics - Pollution...and....some other topic which I don't remember. I recall that all us simply went for pollution as everyone could speak on it. As you can see, its a topic you can speak all day. We talked about all kind of pollution. Just one boy got a bit charged up, I don't know why but he was shouting too much. I finished off the discussion with water/air pollution stress. Another sample in the group of 8 was a guy who just talk about noise pollution !!! I spoke just twice, made straightforward points, and terminated. Thats the best way I could figure out, to go about it.

Second Topic was given by GTO - lack of work culture in govt. offices. Again easy topic, but it got down to a heated debate between 4 members including me. Two of us, me and another guy, got hold of the discussion and tried to include the other members as well, who were quite passive.

GP -
A sand model. A few villages. A water supply about to be poisoned by a gunda. A tree which fell on a train track. An elephant creating havoc in a village. A few boys coming for duck shoot. Made the plan, but didn't write it down well. But spoke well. In the end, since no common plan could be formed, I took lead and suggested a common plan including bits of all plans. Everyone agreed, one boy gave a minor change, and it was over. Not as well as I had expected.

PGT -
First task....I better not talk about it. We couldn't figure out how to do it. GTO told us to move on anyways. A big 6 footer of our group was trying to take charge for no reason. For some unknown reason, he wanted to form a semi-circle and talk before each task. Me and another lad (who passed) were more into acting quick and thinking while doing. We had the last laugh. We usually sent the lightest and most agile guy first to demonstrate functioning of the plan and then all went one-by-one. We did progressively better in each task.

HGT
Half Group Task was much better as that giant was gone. And we were able to demonstrate how effectively we could function as a team. Two of us were active in plan making, but the other two guys were really doing well in implementing and cooperating. I think we scored well here.

CT
Command Task was a piece of cake. GTO called me. Asked me which boys to call. I called the giant and the light agile guy. When asked why, I said I now I have both payload and agility, it will help. Then GTO asked about my interests, my favourite actress etc. Then there was an easy task, I did it using both men. Then he sent them back. When asked for more solutions, I suggested around 6 more. He said good show, and sent me back.

I felt that major part of CT is how many guys call you for their task. I was called on all occassions except one. My father has studied group dynamics as a subject and says that it is used to make a matrix as to how many guys are bonding with whom. Or even generally, shows your status in the group.

IT -
Ten Obstacles. Finished seven of them. Unfortunately, due to sweaty hands, could not hold on to the rope in Leopard Jump, the 8th obstacle. Fell down from the top, landed on my bottom, got up and tried to climb again, but time was up. Basically what they try and see is your level of fitness, but more importantly, your determination. Falling down is ok, but backing off is a sin. A boy who did 9 obstacles backed off from leopard's jump after climbing up. We knew his fate right then.

Lectuerette -
I had three topics given to choose from. Two were social types, one was AI -Artificial Intelligence. I picked AI. Went outside and for 3 minutes, instead of forming the speech, I kept saying AI...AI...hmm...AI..!!! And when I went in to speak, all I had was points. That was good enough for 3 minutes. I talked about definition, application in games, defence etc and that on warning bell, concluded nicely. Main thing was maintaining flow of words and keeping eye-contact. It went really well.

Would just like to add here that anyone going to SSB should drop the idea of taking coaching. Reading a book for knowledge of tests is ok, but not coaching. Our GTO was able to mark many coached candidates. It shows in psychological tests and GT.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

While it is great that we have people sharing their interview experiences, I would prefer that the experiences be described in general terms as areas of interest, etc. rather than specific interview questions.

What this thread is slowly turning into is a "Question bank for SSB/NDA/etc. interviews". These institutions may take a dim view of this. A candidate that takes an inside track in this manner maybe looked upon with disfavor due to the ethical issues involved --- a leaked question paper of sorts.

For example, the company I work for maintains a question bank for our interviews. Despite signing NDAs, some rejected candidates have posted these questions on the 'net. If I knew that a candidate had an unfair advantage because of this and failed to disclose prior knowledge, I would have no qualms in rejecting his application outright.

I am not going to lecture on what should or should not be done, but please exercise your judgement and do the Right Thing(tm). If you do think as I do, please also edit your previous posts.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Raman,

I don't see anything too sensitive in my posts about the procedure. What the SSB does not want is candidates with fabricated responses in psychological tests and GT.

Stuff I mentioned is actually nothing comapred to books on SSB. And Army itself conducts coaching camps for SSB, in a very organised manner. Sainik schools prepare candidates for SSB. But not like coaching institutes run by civil. As for interview questions, those officers have such a vast array of questions at their disposal, that you cannot anticipate.

It is a known fact that many guys who are in academies today have taken coaching. But unworthy ones are always caught. Although exceptions are always there.
Yerna
BRFite

Post by Yerna »

Dhruv wrote:Pegasus,

Here are my details of GD, GP, GT, CT and IT -
IIRC, obstacle crossing doesnt carry any points. The ten obstacles need to be completed in 10 min (not sure, less than 10 min I guess) and most people manage to cross all obstacles under that time. When I went for SSB, some Rimcos in my group finished the obstacles twice in the given time.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

It was 10 obstacles in 3 minutes in my SSB. No one did more than 9. Some were in middle of last when bell rang.

But this is interesting...are u sure it carries no marks absolutely ? Then what criteria is used for marking ?

Anyways, if anyone gave NDA/CDS-2 2004, there was an additional list for NDA and supplementry list for CDSE in written. Anyone has any idea what it was all about ?
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

http://www.coolgoose.com/sites/apache_k ... index.html

HomePage of the 104 Course Alphas NDA
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Guys, I've made into IAF's merit list for NDA. Hope everything goes fine. Can anyone tell me what happens now ?
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Dhruv wrote:Guys, I've made into IAF's merit list for NDA. Hope everything goes fine. Can anyone tell me what happens now ?
Let me be the first to offer you my congratulations. I have no Idea as to what is going to happen to you next.

Good luck and Jai Hind.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Dhruv wrote:Guys, I've made into IAF's merit list for NDA. Hope everything goes fine. Can anyone tell me what happens now ?
hey buddy, hope you would have already recieved my congratulations by now. Did ya check ur offline messages ? anyways try to stay in touch with us at BR if the people at NDA are comfortable with that. Would be always great to get info from you. Congrats once again and best of luck.

Sumeet.
Saral
BRFite

Post by Saral »

Your posts were very interesting and you appear to be very balanced and mature. Congrats. Maybe you will find time to post in BR during the holidays.

My brother was a NDA ranker some 24 years back and recently took early retirement from Navy (he was doing very well there though!) and as he is in civvies now can give you any feedback (although as you are in the AF, things may be different); he had some ideas about NDA reform but maybe they are already implemented. Although as you are from the armed forces you should have better sources of information.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Thanx to all of you guys, i feel wierd...had joined BR just recently, and now i have to leave.
Ronaldo
BRFite -Trainee

Airforce

Post by Ronaldo »

I want some help

I took NDA 1 2005 and gave first preference as army but after studying more about services etc I thought of joining AF.I want to know whether I can change it now.I have given AF as second prefeernce.How can I do PABT and also what should I do now?
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Airforce

Post by Dhruv »

JamesBond wrote:I want some help

I took NDA 1 2005 and gave first preference as army but after studying more about services etc I thought of joining AF.I want to know whether I can change it now.I have given AF as second prefeernce.How can I do PABT and also what should I do now?
I don't think you can do anything now. But what prompted the change now ? Army is as good as anything can get. As for future, don't worry about PABT and stuff..its fairly easy. U should not prepare for it.

I think you can change streams in NDA 4th semester, any ex-NDA's around ?
Ronaldo
BRFite -Trainee

HAha

Post by Ronaldo »

Well,only after I submitted the application some 9 months ago,I studied more about armed force and only after that I joined Protonriver.com and reding BR. :lol:
When I learned more,I knew AF was the force for me.Army doesn't exactly go with my behavior.

Well,then if you want to join AF,must you give it as 1st preference

Admin Note User name changed to Ronaldo - as earlier handle is not in line with the forum guidelines.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Hey Guys!! Me cleared SSB!!! All Thanks to my Heavenly Father up above!! Anyways, now i'm enjoyin few days of freedom left, with my bro in 17 Jat in Kalimpong. Am not worryin about merit coz there aint nothin in the world to beat NCC 'C' Cert!!!;)
SSB was great, made some awesome friends.
Jagan u're right about the tight selection of CDS candidates. There is a reason for that. After med conference we had a detailed discussion with one of the GTOs regarding this.
When candidates join NDA, they are kids, in those 3 years these guys are moulded to the requirements of the Army. So candidates just about getting fair enough points in the 15 OLQ area are selected. So if 30 or 40 are screened in, about a min of 15-20 will surely clear the Conference. Which is not so in the case of CDSE guys, cos they have ony 1 and half and 1 year to mould them respectively in the IMA and OTA respectively. These guys from college have already a set mindset. 61 reported my batch, 19 SSb Allahabad. 29 screened in and 5 (incl me) finally made it. If the same batch had come for SSB for NDA, according to the GTO, about 17 would have cleared.
Dhruv, all da best for the NDA. buddy, hang on the first 3 terms and TRUST me, ul do real well. Survival in the first half of NDA is actually what determines the ultimate mindset of an officer after commission.
About DE being the best entry, don wanna discourage you, but there is absolutely no doubt about it!! ask any ex-NDA (esp my Bro) and dad! Acc to me and many, nothin beats OTA, coz its the first 5 yrs of your life in the Army that are the best and after that i can decide, to continue or not! after all, no one has seen tomorrow!!;)
all the best and keep posting and mail me if you can. keep in touch you future nanga!;)
Anyway, am gonna be here for a few more days now, then go back home and prepare myself psysically!
OTA here i come!!!
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Congratulations !!!!

Post by Dhruv »

Shek,

I knew you would make it. You must have recieved my mail by now, just check your inbox, i got a few questions for you.

Best of luck
Imtiaz Ahmed
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Imtiaz Ahmed »

Congratulations to all that have found a place on the merit list. I was 16th on the AF/Navy list 23 years ago (68th course NDA) and 24th on the combined list. Got rejected on medical grounds (heart murmur). Knew about it earlier since it is congenital. Does not affect my normal life, but not good enough for defence. The SSB experience and getting thru was worth it. The next step is a medical board exam for those on the merit list. The medical tests are very comprhensive. Just turn up on time and be cool. Good Luck!
adrian
BRFite -Trainee

Post by adrian »

Dhruv/Shek,

Heartiest congratulations to both of you! Reading Dhruv's account of his AFSB at Mysore brought back fond memories. I gave the AF SSB at Mysore 11 years ago for NDA .....75 of us ...only 15 got through...the PABT was easy since it had the drum test and the dot -screen test. I passed the PABT but did not make it overall ....but like you made some lifelong friends during those four days. That half of them are here (incl some who joined and left NDA within the first month) in the US is another story.

My sibling's story is a different one altogether, for his OTA SSB there were 250 of them ......130 got screened out the same day and eventually 7 were selected .....he was NCC "C" Cert by the way but had given CDS. He also gave the next CDS (since he was not sure about the merit list and wanted to make absolutely sure he got into one academy at least) and when he went for the SSB (IMA) this time there were 128 guys and 5 made it ....his was a cakewalk since he told them, he had just made it for OTA SSB.

He joined OTA first for 3 months and then took a transfer to IMA ...in his words there is a world of difference between the two academies viz instructors, seniors and training. He called IMA training "real easy" after having undergone OTA for 3 months, but mentioned that the Chennai heat made things that much worse!! Anyway he also readily agrees DE is the best entry!

Best wishes to you gentlemen, hope you have a distinguished services career!
Pradeep_JR
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pradeep_JR »

hi benny....pradeep here....sorry for not been able to post for so long.....have started working with HDFC Bank and really really busy.......congrats man.....gr8 job....all the best and do well.....tell me....when does the course start......congrats to dhruv as well on making it.....all the best to both of u ....bye
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Hey Pradeep and all u guys there for your wishes.
Dhruv, i've mailed u back,. chek mail and reply to new add given.
had an awesome time in kalimpong. met several offrs from diff entries and took valuable info.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Rishi, i've mailed you. Dhruv, sorry had to cut the chat that day. Other offrs were waiting to use the net. Catch u soemtime soon prob.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050621/cth1.htm#15

Infantry to fore again

There was a time when the Infantry was the most sought after arm among the cadets at the Indian Military Academy (IMA). A majority of the cadets at that time chose Infantry as first option. Then came a time when the number of cadets opting for the Infantry started declining. A stage came when the Infantry fell completely out of favour and the cadets began to prefer the Army Service Corps (ASC) and the Army Ordnance Corps (AOC). This was because of the easier and more settled life in these corps.

The Infantry has nothing better to offer than an arduous life at the high altitude and in the inhospitable and difficult areas. Add to this, unsettled life with a greater risk to it, thanks to the ongoing militancy in J&K, which takes its toll almost every day.

Despite all this, a new trend has been noticed in the course, which passed out of the IMA, Dehra Dun, on June 11. Of the 953 cadets who were commissioned on this day, 191 had opted for the Infantry. This has brought this fighting arm again in the limelight once again. Will this encouraging trend continue? Only the time will tell.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

NDA

Post by Dhruv »

I am leaving for NDA today guys...wish me luck. Hope to live up to the expectations of the academy.

Anyways, this infantry trend is interesting...i thot ASC was the most sought after arm...and also arty. Good..really good. Same at AFA, many sword winners opt for trasnport wing. I don't know how anyone could actually OPT for the transport wing.

I just can't wait for the Lohegaon visit in 1st semester. Sukhois and MiGs...

Good luck and good hunting to everyone here.
Himanshu
BRFite

Post by Himanshu »

Best of Luck Buddy.. :D
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

Hey man Dhruv!
Have a great time @ the Academy and enjoy your stay there.Its only a selected and lucky few who make it to this place. pretty chicks at MG,FC,INOX and E-Square on trips to pune are added perks.The point is....netting them is made impossible by the damn crew-cut hair style and the ever steaming blue blazers which proudly screams:"Here comes the Joker ...!"No offences meant.We are proud of you.

CHEERS TO THE BR FRATERNITY AS WE SEND ONE AMONG OUR OWN TO DEFEND THE MOTHERLAND........!

Make us proud DHRUV.........!!!!!
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Dhruv "flyboy" Shukla, All the very best n God Speed. Remember what i told you about the 1st 3 terms n stuff. Stick to it! You @$$, you better keep in touch. esp when i'm in OTA, i don care if we get time or not...you better, alright??...and i will too.
Make me a proud Jhatka you Nanga!!
God Speed.
Pradeep_JR
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pradeep_JR »

hi dhruv......all the best to you.....hope u dont break ur leg in the 1st month and get admitted.....hehehe......just kidding.....do well and enjoy urself.....tell me shek....when do u have to join?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Dhruv, congrats and keep up the spirit. Maybe I will see you in five years time when you pass out at the Air Force Academy, Dundigal.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

pradeep_jr wrote:hi dhruv......all the best to you.....hope u dont break ur leg in the 1st month and get admitted.....hehehe......just kidding.....do well and enjoy urself.....tell me shek....when do u have to join?
Hey pradeep, my course starts 1st week Oct and joining Instructions come by mid Sept. wats up with u?
Pradeep_JR
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pradeep_JR »

Hey pradeep, my course starts 1st week Oct and joining Instructions come by mid Sept. wats up with u?
I'm workin wid HDFC Bank now....have applied for TGC entry and cleared CDS I 2005 OTA.expecting SSB call in Aug/sept and Oct/Nov respectively.Also preparing for CAT if both the SSBs do not work out(God forbid).All the best to u shek.do well and keep mailing.
shek
BRFite

GOC-in-C ARTRAC Visit TO Officer's Training Academy, Chennai

Post by shek »

Lt Gen visits OTA
NT Bureau
Chennai, July 8:

The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief at Army Training Command, ARTRAC, Lt Gen Deepak Kapoor, visited the Officers Training Academy yesterday for inspection.

During the visit, he inspected the ongoing infrastructural developments like the new KLP and cadets' accommodation. He also visited the various departments of the Academy including the computer centre, library, new training area and the museum, an official press release said.

Lt Gen Deepak kapoor, who was commissioned in Regiment of Artillery in 1967 has held important staff and command appointments in his career. He represented India as the chief operations officer of United Nations' Forces deployed in Somalia from 1994 to 95 and was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the Government of India for his contribution. He has also received the Sena Medal (devotion to duty) from the Indian government, the release added.

Gen Kapoor was accompanied by Kriti Kapoor, President Army Wives Welfare Association (ARTRAC).
Mekala
BRFite -Trainee

Re: NDA

Post by Mekala »

Shek/Dhruv,

Best of luck. BTW, ASC is a Service and Arty is an Arm, nevertheless there is no disparity as for as valour goes. This was just to tell you about the terminology. Another thing, there were no taker for Arty sometime back, now the things may have changed.

Keep your cool, just impress your seniors with your readyness to take what ever is passed on to you with a smile, most of it will be basically fun and a little bs. What starts at NDA is just the beginning, just shaping of the embryo, the real finished product comes out later.

Excel atleast in one sport or a game. NDA/OTA "blues" are a respected lot through out their career. Thrift and savings will make you an upright officer, but there is no need to be miserly also.

Better avoid casual friendship turning into casual relationships with the opposite sex. Reserve that passion of youth for some one special who would share the thin and thick of life with you at some proximate future. Successful Generals have been devout spouses and in return had devout spouses.

These are a few tips, not just for a successful training but also for a long and successful career.

Best of luck again.

Srini-M
shek
BRFite

Re: NDA

Post by shek »

Mekala wrote:Shek/Dhruv,

Best of luck. BTW, ASC is a Service and Arty is an Arm, nevertheless there is no disparity as for as valour goes. This was just to tell you about the terminology. Another thing, there were no taker for Arty sometime back, now the things may have changed.

Keep your cool, just impress your seniors with your readyness to take what ever is passed on to you with a smile, most of it will be basically fun and a little bs. What starts at NDA is just the beginning, just shaping of the embryo, the real finished product comes out later.

Excel atleast in one sport or a game. NDA/OTA "blues" are a respected lot through out their career. Thrift and savings will make you an upright officer, but there is no need to be miserly also.

Better avoid casual friendship turning into casual relationships with the opposite sex. Reserve that passion of youth for some one special who would share the thin and thick of life with you at some proximate future. Successful Generals have been devout spouses and in return had devout spouses.

These are a few tips, not just for a successful training but also for a long and successful career.

Best of luck again.

Srini-M
Thank You very very much sir. Such advice, espcially from Sr Officers is very encouraging and of course...priceless!

Btw, OTA junkies out in Bangalore, just to tell you i met them all floating about Brigades and MGs. They had come for the MEG visit. They are from SSC 80, passing out this Sept. Heard Phillora Compnay is moving into Academy premises and will be taking over the new building!! As one GC put it "its better than a 5 star accdm!!
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Hey, just some latest info...a new Company has been raised (re-raised??) in the IMA called "DOGRAI" under Thimayya Battalion. "DOGRAI" is the Battle Honour of 3 JAT during '65 ('75??) Ops.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

WHY

Post by Dhruv »

Pradeep_JR wrote:hi dhruv......all the best to you.....hope u dont break ur leg in the 1st month and get admitted.....hehehe......just kidding.....do well and enjoy urself.....tell me shek....when do u have to join?
Was it really necessary to say it. :cry:

I just did....fractured right leg and i am on sick leave. Anyways....i will be back in action after some time.
Pradeep_JR
BRFite -Trainee

really sorry man

Post by Pradeep_JR »

hi dhruv.........really really sorry man....feeling really guilty abt what i said... :shock: ..was just kidding.......get well soon.......i'm sure u will.........now tht all what I say comes true.......i must say......U r goin to be Air Chief Marshall in 35 yrs.....howazzzzat??.....take care man.......wish u all the best...tc.....bye
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

shek wrote: "DOGRAI" is the Battle Honour of 3 JAT during '65 ('75??) Ops.
Isn't that 5 JAT (or 17 JAT, can't remember). And it was 1965; they had to take it 3 times, due to lack of co-ordination with Bde. The first time, they were just ordered to leave it after capturing it due to a miscommunication - the other two times, they had to take it against stiff opposition from the Pakistani reinforcements.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Re: really sorry man

Post by Dhruv »

Pradeep_JR wrote:hi dhruv.........really really sorry man....feeling really guilty abt what i said... :shock: ..was just kidding.......get well soon.......i'm sure u will.........now tht all what I say comes true.......i must say......U r goin to be Air Chief Marshall in 35 yrs.....howazzzzat??.....take care man.......wish u all the best...tc.....bye
Thanx yaar...don't feel guilty...i would have broken it anyway...everyone does it in NDA 8) also u make one more statement....that I become ACC in NDA.....then it would be perfect.

Thanx
Kannan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kannan »

Is there any way to take the CDSE abroad? I tried to get into the Air Force academy but I slimly missed the height. I'm still bitter about it, but I'd like to take the CDSE before I'm 23, and I'm hoping if I build up enough flight hours in my private time, they'll consider my flight experience and education (BS Physics/BS Math/BS Chemistry), athleticism and let me in. Something tells me they're pretty uptight about the height though(I missed by about <1/2 cm).

If there is no way to take the CDSE abroad I guess I should quit while I'm ahead or try to find a cheap way to get to India really soon.
Jager
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jager »

Dear Manav and Adi ,
I would very much love to know the answer to the question that manav asked does RAW recruit from upsc ?
otherwise how dos it recruit ?
Anyone who knows Please mail me at the follow :
falshirmjager@yahoo.com