Delhi Rape Victim Dies-Express your outrage.

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Delhi Rape Victim Dies-Express your outrage.

Post by ramana »

Assocham reports:
Women productivity in BPO offices drops by 40% after the Delhi gang rape

I think they are being cads. Productivity of all Indian origin people has dropped significantly.

I didn't even wish people Happy New Year!

As my family said whats so happy about it. We staved of the mythical Mayan doomsday to find real outrage in India's capital. And but for the grace of Gods, it could have been any married couple.

And the BRF thread has two posts in it.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

The Delhi Police on Friday decided to register a case against Zee News after the channel aired an interview with the male friend of the girl who was gang-raped here on December 16, a crime to which he is the lone witness.

The case will be filed under Section 228 (A) of the Indian Penal Code, which pertains to disclosure of identity of victims of certain offences, including rape, Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

Critical of Delhi Police
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/c ... 273945.ece
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

chaanakya wrote:PCR has no jurisdiction issue. Strange that they argued about this.
Interesting. Did not know that.

Was it then the common problem of avoiding work?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

chaanakya, I dont think the DP case against Zeenews will have nay merit. unless they are claiming something else. The friend was a witness to the crime and the law applies to rape victims only. It look smore like filed in pique at the revelation of their tardiness and demands for praise.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Theo_Fidel wrote:
chaanakya wrote:PCR has no jurisdiction issue. Strange that they argued about this.
Interesting. Did not know that.

Was it then the common problem of avoiding work?
I would think so combined with Old mentality of and working style of Thaana jurisdiction . Clear instructions are there. Dont know how they could do this.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

ramana wrote:chaanakya, I dont think the DP case against Zeenews will have nay merit. unless they are claiming something else. The friend was a witness to the crime and the law applies to rape victims only. It look smore like filed in pique at the revelation of their tardiness and demands for praise.
No it would backfire and has no merit. But then what prevents them from filing FIR when they decide. Jindal issue is also there.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Delhi police is as kameena as it gets. It has been shamed by

1. the lone witness , confirming that statement given to SDM was not under pressure
2. DP killed valuable time by discussion over jurisdiction (perhaps they didn't see agitation coming)
3. lathicharge etc on agitators
4. Now DP trying to intimidate this witness

On the other hand, zee news should have kept this witness in dark or not shown him, he is at security risk from several quarters (govt to criminals), we never know how deep is police-bus wala criminal nexus.

Naresh Trehan should be declared a political doctor, now I see him as a mole in Anna' s camp (2011). vis a vis first successful intestine transplant at Medanta ; Isn't it ironical same guys supervised air transfer of victim in name of transplant? And guess what I heard , interview of Devi Shetty supporting this decision after hue and cry. Think of this , these people have replaced Ketan desai as member of medical council
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

ramana wrote:Lilo, How is the twitter site going? What are the stats?: number of tweets, retweets and followers

My feedback:
Also my account is flooded with the large number of tweets which is a shame in itself. Is there a way we can capture the tweets per day on one page and tweet that may be three or four times a day? I don't want people to unsubscribe as they get flooded by the sorry state of affairs.

It has been an eye-opener for me the number of serious offences agaisnt women in India already reported in media. And then multiply by five or ten for the unreported ones.
Ramana Ji,
Yes currently there is a deluge of reportage on rape etc - but i think DDM will relapse to its past habits of reporting *feel good* news after a while.
In the mean time - there is a "list" option in twitter to follow stuff without actually cluttering the timeline.
some stats : http://tweetreach.com/reach?q=%40Violenceonwomen+

Also , today i finally completed the geotagging part (~ 1000 locations (unique cities and districts and towns) are geotagged with Latitude longitude data, i blocked all other items in feed which dont have valid location data - which should also reduce the load by quite a bit.
Also iam thinking on the lines of eliminating "Views" and sticking only with "News", but this step has both +/- so lets see.

GeoRSS Fed into with google MAPs api it will look some thing like below.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://p ... nder%3Drss

http://www.acme.com/GeoRSS/?xmlsrc=http ... nder%3Drss

Yahoo maps view --->> http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info? ... 3713ebb7fa

Guys, those who have popular or not so popular blogs up and running please carry a widget of above Map for a while in your blog (some HTML expertise may be required - but then many are IT guys here in BR) as a small header or a small square in the corner - till a dedicated thing can be setup or otherwise.

Its was quite simple in Google Blogger for both Google and Yahoo maps
goto edit layout>click on add gadget to the space you want to place the widget>select "HTML/JavaScript" in the list >cut paste one of the below snippets in the empty space >save

Code: Select all

<iframe width="600" height="700" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fpipes.yahoo.com%2Fpipes%2Fpipe.run%3F_id%3D0d1ab8b1bdc6a1f320f5663713ebb7fa%26_render%3Drss&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=22.87744,81.914063&spn=28.106085,26.323242&z=5&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fpipes.yahoo.com%2Fpipes%2Fpipe.run%3F_id%3D0d1ab8b1bdc6a1f320f5663713ebb7fa%26_render%3Drss&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=22.87744,81.914063&spn=28.106085,26.323242&z=5&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

<script src="http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/pps/mapbadge_1.5.js">{"pipe_id":"0d1ab8b1bdc6a1f320f5663713ebb7fa","_btype":"map","hideHeader":true}</script>
Last edited by Lilo on 05 Jan 2013 05:48, edited 4 times in total.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Sanjay wrote:
It wasn't so long ago that women were blamed for the rape etc etc. in the US. They recognized the problem and tried to do something positive.
In the 1970s in NYC, women ran the gantlet of hard hats sitting, eating lunch whistling and catcalling (especially in summer), as they passed by. No longer acceptable.

Also think back: Todd Akin ('Legitimate Rape') lost his bid for the US Senate. Mourdock ("I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.") also had a problem and lost.

As for the Delhi Police, don't understand who's side they are on. Someone tweeted that the DP were there to protect the government from the people and the latter from criminals.

If this has been posted before, apologies:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/ ... g-help/?hp

"“We were without clothes,” he said. “We tried to stop people passing by.” After 25 minutes someone called the police, he said. Then, after three police vans arrived, officers argued over who had jurisdiction over the case, he said. He had to carry his friend into the police vehicle, he said, after the police refused because she was bleeding too much."

Nothing more one can say except that the only thing that will change this is justice, swift and sure no matter who you are. And you can't run and you can't hide.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/t ... epage=true
Indian babudom is totally screwing it up.. rape and murder is different from rape. And what has SC&ST got to do with that?
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Cosmo_R, I remember those days. It lasted well into the 1980s with the men defending their right to do that. Laws were enforced and men gradually improved. Sexual harassment, rape and "blame the victim" is still prevalent in the West (almost to the same extent as India) but it is constrained and mitigated by laws and the enforcement of those laws. Give people a green light and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ric ... de_attacks

Look at the police response:
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/14/nyreg ... all&src=pm

White or Black or Chinese or Japanese or Korean or Indian or Martian, men can be real scum at times.
Last edited by Sanjay on 05 Jan 2013 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Jhujar wrote:Rape protests spread beyond IndiaDemonstrators in Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh join protest movement against sexual violence

Here come the Cultures Destroying Vultures
Protests against sexual violence are spreading across south Asia as anger following the gang rape and death of a 23-year-old medical student in Delhi courses through the region.Inspired by the rallies and marches staged across India for nearly three weeks, demonstrations have also been held in Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh – all countries where activists say women suffer high levels of sexual and domestic violence.In Nepal, the case of a 21-year-old woman who says she was raped and threatened with death by a police officer and robbed by immigration officials, prompted hundreds of demonstrators to converge on the prime minister's residence in Kathmandu. They called for legal reforms and an overhaul of attitudes to women."We had seen the power of the mass campaign in Delhi's rape case. It is a pure people's movement," said Anita Thapa, one of the demonstrators.Bandana Rana, a veteran Nepalese activist, described the ongoing protests in Delhi as "eye-opening". "A few years back, women even talking about sexual violence or even domestic violence was a very rare," she said.Sultana Kamal, of the Bangladeshi human rights group Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), said the protests in Delhi had given fresh impetus to protests against sexual violence.
One incident that has provoked anger in Bangladesh was the alleged gang rape of a teenager by four men over four days in early December in Tangail, 40 miles north-west of Dhaka. The men were said to have made videos of the attack before leaving their victim near a rail track where she was eventually found by her brother.On Friday a teenager who was said to have been repeatedly raped in a hotel died in hospital in Dhaka of injuries sustained when she subsequently tried to take her own life.But despite the widespread anger, the social stigma attached to rape victims remains a major problem throughout the region.Although Bangladesh police arrested suspects in both the cases and investigations are under way, activists fear that corruption as well as deep-seated misogyny among investigating officers and the judiciary make convictions unlikely.According to ASK's statistics, at least 1,008 women were raped in 2012 in Bangladesh, of whom 98 were later killed.Khushi Kabir, one of the organisers of a "human chain" in Dhaka to protest against violence to women, said its aim was "to show that people are not going to just let this [movement] die down".Kabir said although previous demonstrations on similar issues were largely dominated by women, men were now protesting too. The protests had also drawn people from a broad range of society. "We had lawyers, schoolchildren, teachers, theatre activists and personalities, industrialists," she said.
We are all in this one together. No time for "nationalism". Time for "humanism".
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Not sure if posted earlier
3 Arrested for sodomy, villagers gherao PS

BHADRAK: Three persons were arrested on Wednesday for allegedly sexually abusing a minor boy in Chandabali area of Bhadrak district on Tuesday.

According to police sources, the six-year-old boy was found lying in an unconscious and half-naked state beside the Kali temple at Chandbali by some locals on Tuesday evening. The victim had sustained injuries on his face and chest. He was rushed to Chandbali community health centre and later shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital, Cuttack, after his condition deteriorated.

Medical examination revealed that the boy was sexually assaulted. "We have arrested three persons from Chandbali on Tuesday night who had sodomized the child and assaulted him," said Sanatan Sahu, IIC, Chandbali police station.

The accused have been identified as Abdul Sheikh (30), Tulu Sheikh (22) and Salim Sheikh (19). They belong to Murshidabad district of West Bengal and are masons by profession.

"The law and order situation is under control at Chandbali and we have deployed one platoon of police force to prevent any untoward incident," added Sahu. Bauri Bandhu Behera, sub divisional police officer (SDPO) of Chandabali, also confirmed the arrests. Condition of the boy is stated to be stable.

Meanwhile, thousands of people gheraoed Chandbali police station on Wednesday and demanded capital punishment for the culprits. They also blocked the Chandbali-Digachhia road for six hours.
What we most probably have here is illegal Bangladeshis "masons" long legitimized through State supplied identity documents going over to Orissa and raping a helpless 6 yr old boy - and the news is given a quite collective burial unheeded by the Uber sickular "Delhi central".
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Bangalore (and I expect every city) is full of predatory men. They range from "losers" on buses who make lewd remarks or grope, to wealthy looking motorcycle riders who catch up with woman rider, ride parallel to her and start taunting. She can't stop or go faster, A third group are in cars - which stop by women who are walking.

Some of this is harmless. It is just men who have no intention to harm, but the woman has no way of fighting back and no one to complain to if she feels threatened. Vigilante men cannot really do much. Men who taunt women mostly choose situations where there are few men about to "rescue" them. The rules of society seem to be that is the woman is at home in the kitchen, she is safe. If she is out on the street she is a fair target.

Islam has dealt with this in the wrong way, although it works and ends up being attractive to women with no other choice. The men are not restricted. The women are covered up and accompanied by men. That is the only thing that works in a society where men are allowed to be impolite to women and face no consequences whatsoever. Boys have to be taught in schools that girls have rights and punishment for transgressing rights should be a deterrent.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

So Bangalore is as bad as Delhi ? Isn't also the bride-burning capital ? Incidentally I agree with your point about teaching boys about the rights and equality of girls and women. But I do not think that any of the conduct described is ever "harmless". It is verbal molestation.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sanjay wrote:So Bangalore is as bad as Delhi ? Isn't also the bride-burning capital ?
It is the suicide capital

The overall impression I get is that calling Bangalore "better than Delhi" is not much of a compliment. I think Bangalore is a bit better, but not better as in "Women can be carefree". Bangalore probably has more women of my social class in private vehicles because public transport is bad - so the vocal/influential section of society may be living protected lives and ignoring what happens to the more vulnerable sections.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Point well taken. Wonder what it is like in Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata or even Lucknow and Patna ? Anybody from those cities care to chip in ?
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

rohitvats wrote:
ramana wrote:varunkumar, I say this again. These type of crimes are not first time offenders. And the robbing passengers by enticing them with low fares on off duty times, I bet the owner too has knowledge.And over all someone in DP knows whats going on and had a polciy of benign neglect.
ramana, you had asked in other thread about ownership of the transport company - well, based on my chit-chat with our transport vendor(s) in Gurgaon, it seems the large transport business in Delhi is controlled by politicians and serving cops. They facilitate getting permits and other documentations and ensuring 'hassle-free' operations when it comes to police. One of the biggest reasons for the earlier Red Line buses running amok in Delhi w/o any fear was the fact that many of them were (are) owned by policemen.

And this hafta diary has its own angle - basically, it contains the numbers and details of vehicles (buses/cars) which are being used for other purposes in addition to usage for which the permit has been given. For example, many cab operators have private number plate cars being run as cab - helps in lower taxes. But the police are in the know...they maintain a diary of with numbers of all such vehicles.
The roots of ownership go very deep, with mafia and formal political connections. The frontman in this case will be sacrificed and he will keep mum, as otherwise his family will pay badly. Moreover, you are right that they keep track of vehicles used for "other purposes". They themselves find it convenient to use them for other purposes. Ironically, this business is also closely tied up with the brothel and escorts biz. All are owned by the same interface to biz+political key nodes. The moving vehicles provide a good transactional space for service in ahem ahem for people who have an extra special need to be discreet. This has been going on in Delhi and Lucknow for a very long time - from the time of horse-carriages. The capital remains one of the key hubs for centralized auction of girls and pre-pubescent boys.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Sanjay wrote:Point well taken. Wonder what it is like in Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata or even Lucknow and Patna ? Anybody from those cities care to chip in ?
Every city : as a woman, your safety will depend on the time of the day, and part of the city, and your social status. A woman who does not give off the tell-tale sign of power+affluence==powerful male relatives/admirers/colleagues whose retribution will even affect the family of the abuser for the next 7 generations - is vulnerable everywhere. This is however not unique to India.

Women who are forced to sell their bodies in socially unapproved ways [for many women, a formal marriage is equivalent to an auction - whether voluntary or involuntary or semi-voluntary], face a horrible life in all the metropolises. Its hard for me to describe first hand experience of observing the processes in at least three of the cities in the above list. The last few days has been a nightmare for me and I have not been able to sleep, because of my near photographic memory jogged by the description of what happened in the bus. You are also forgetting use and trade in young or castrated boys. Most of the trade nodes are connected to old sultanate/Mughal strongholds, and especially sultanate/Mughal military settlements. That should give you a pretty good spatial picture of the interconnections.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Well no one talks of places like Meerut and Varanasi. Whatever. I better not look at this thread at all. :evil:
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

On youtube there are videos on links between 'hindu extremism' and 'misogyny'. :roll:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

brihaspati wrote:Well no one talks of places like Meerut and Varanasi. Whatever. I better not look at this thread at all. :evil:
Brihaspati, BRF is supposed to be (or BRFites suppose themselves to be) a cross section of educated India. But what happens is that even people from Meerut or Varanasi, when they acquire an education that gives them good jobs, tend to move to the big cities, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore etc or phoren lands. Meerut and Varanasi are left behind and there are few English speaking Twitterati to talk about those places.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Upon reflection the lady SDM diluted the first statement of the victim and the court or someone should make the lady SDM make public the first statement and let the people decide for themselves which is proper.

Some thing kala in lady SDM who made the first statement invalid by alleging police pressure.
Maybe lady SDM is in league with the civil administration and diluted the case by alleging police pressure.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

And case on Zee news seems to fit a pattern of intimidation by INC to get pliant media. This is second or third case being filed by INC run govt.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So shiv did someone take over your account that had those posts akin to Mahesh Butt's point of view?
lakshmikanth
BRFite

Post by lakshmikanth »

I have been reading this book (highly recommended):

In this book and according to what it points to, every single demonstration, protest, "civil" disobedience in India historically was organized by the Gundas of one or the other politician paying off the police and rival politicians (to look the other way).

Historically every little demonstration or protest was not spontaneous in the political calculus. Everything was factored in, and was completely transparent to all the major players. Hence there was no panic, all the reactions were measured, pre-planned. Speeches were scripted, just like the demonstration and the violence associated with them. The facade of democracy was thus maintained.

Historically, until 2012! This demonstration (and the one like Baba Ramdev) ended up throwing a spanner at the works of the political drama machinary. These demonstrations caused panic, because no one paid the protestors to show up in Delhi. No one paid of any politicians. No one distributed bhang, clothes, daru by the thousands. There was no leader for this one. It was no Gunda who organized this, no crony politician either.

It was the true face of the people, one which they had never seen and nor have the training to face. Hence the panic to shut down Delhi. Just like a child who panics when he first sees a ghost. INC and its netas, its kings, its fiefs, its chiefs, its chamchas and its gundas saw a ghost that represented the face of India.

No wonder they shut the doors on Delhi and unleashed the media and the Burqa Dutt gang on the protestors. They are so predictable.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lilo, Excellent work. Truly great work. We still need to keep at it even if the tempo slows down.
Next time I am going to ask you to go thru TSP news reports and map them for IED mubaraks!

I didnt know we had such talent.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Lilo wrote:

Also , today i finally completed the geotagging part (~ 1000 locations (unique cities and districts and towns) are geotagged with Latitude longitude data, i blocked all other items in feed which dont have valid location data - which should also reduce the load by quite a bit.
Also iam thinking on the lines of eliminating "Views" and sticking only with "News", but this step has both +/- so lets see.

GeoRSS Fed into with google MAPs api it will look some thing like below.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://p ... nder%3Drss

http://www.acme.com/GeoRSS/?xmlsrc=http ... nder%3Drss

Yahoo maps view --->> http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info? ... 3713ebb7fa

Guys, those who have popular or not so popular blogs up and running please carry a widget of above Map for a while in your blog (some HTML expertise may be required - but then many are IT guys here in BR) as a small header or a small square in the corner - till a dedicated thing can be setup or otherwise.

Its was quite simple in Google Blogger for both Google and Yahoo maps
goto edit layout>click on add gadget to the space you want to place the widget>select "HTML/JavaScript" in the list >cut paste one of the below snippets in the empty space >save

<iframe width="600" height="700" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fpipes.yahoo.com%2Fpipes%2Fpipe.run%3F_id%3D0d1ab8b1bdc6a1f320f5663713ebb7fa%26_render%3Drss&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=22.87744,81.914063&spn=28.106085,26.323242&z=5&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fpipes.yahoo.com%2Fpipes%2Fpipe.run%3F_id%3D0d1ab8b1bdc6a1f320f5663713ebb7fa%26_render%3Drss&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=22.87744,81.914063&spn=28.106085,26.323242&z=5&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

<script src="http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/pps/mapbadge_1.5.js">{"pipe_id":"0d1ab8b1bdc6a1f320f5663713ebb7fa","_btype":"map","hideHeader":true}</script>

Dear Lilo, thats really very good work. I appreciate it.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Lilo great work indeed.

This will help the people with low attention span understand what the scenario actually is.

I will be forwarding it to others around.

One query though, w.r.t. this reportage. What is the time frame that needs to be quoted with this link?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote:So shiv did someone take over your account that had those posts akin to Mahesh Butt's point of view?
Well you should know ramana. You're the admin no?

But you have essentially reinforced my earlier point that people are going to have cognitive dissonance and get irritated when faced with uncomfortable truths about male behavior in India. Why are you allowing this stuff to get under your skin? It is the truth as far as I am concerned. If you think it is wrong please say so - but this comparison with Mahesh Butt is silly because I don't give a damn whether you think I am like Butt or Owaisi. I am what i am - not what you say. If you think I am going to modify descriptions of what i see out of embarrassment that I will be compared to Mahesh Bhatt you have another think coming.

In India everyone wants a technical education available only in English. No one goes to Meerut for that. Few go to Varanasi. The vast bulk of Indians travel to Delhi, Maharashtra, Karnataka etc for education and get jobs there and log into the internet from their chosen places of residence. Those who remain in Varanasi and Meerut are currently not in that group. Hence the lack of respresentation from those places.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

ramana garu please recite ShivRakshaStrotra. Even Lord Vishnu had to do it.

Meanwhile elite class is twisting and turning
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 895592.cms
While the National Crime Records Bureau does not split registered cases of sexual assault by rural and urban areas, Mrinal Satish, an associate professor of law at Delhi's National Law University, used court data to find that 75% of rape cases that led to convictions over the last 25 years were from rural India.

For his doctoral dissertation at the Yale Law School in the US, Satish looked at all high court and Supreme Court cases involving rape reported in the Criminal Law Journal (which reports criminal law cases) between 1983 and 2009 in which at least one court (trial court, HC or SC) had convicted the accused. The data thus does not include cases in which the accused was acquitted at all levels. Satish also had to leave out cases that were not for some reason reported in the Journal.

He found that over 80% of these rape cases in high courts and close to 75% of rape cases in the Supreme Court came from rural areas. Close to 75% of gang rape cases in HCs and 63% of gang rape cases in the SC came from rural areas. Over 65% of cases involving the rape of a child (less than 12 years old) came from rural areas. On average, 75% of all rape cases in higher courts that had led to at least one conviction came from rural areas. While the numbers are fairly proportional to India's rural/urban population, they do disprove Bhagwat's statement that rapes do not take place in rural areas.
All it proves that conviction rate is lower in Urban areas.

The twist in the tail is that TOIlet compares bharat with rural areas and India with urban areas. Resonates with erstwhile Hindu Growth rate.

Did he really say the bolded part? I think the words are being put in the mouth.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Apologies if posted already

http://realityviews.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... e.html?m=1
Delhi Police Register case against zee news for airing interview of Nirbhays male friend who spoke fearlessly
Watch the Zee News Interview of Nirbhays male friend full interview at the end of post

Delhi Police Register case against zee news for airing interview of Nirbhays male friend who spoke fearlessly

The Delhi Police on Friday decided to register a case against Zee News after the channel aired an interview with the male friend of the girl who was gang-raped  on December 16,
a crime to which he is the lone witness.

Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat told to media that the case will be filed under Section 228 (A) of the Indian Penal Code, which pertains to disclosure of identity of victims of certain offences, including rape

Nirbhaya's male friend gave first interview to Zee News channel.
In his interview he told following

they had been lured into boarding the private bus on December 16 night at Munirka in South Delhi.

The bus occupants had everything planned.
Apart from the driver and helper, others behaved like they were passengers.
we even paid Rs.20 as fare.
Then they started teasing my friend and same led to a brawl.
I beat three of them up but then the rest of them brought an iron rod and hit me.
Before I fell unconscious, they took my friend away  

The bus drove through the city for around two-and-a-half hours while the two were being attacked

They raped her and tore their clothes and thrown out of bus and tried to kill Nirbhay under bus but he saved her .

the two of them lay naked on the road for more than two hours with people stopping to look at them and then moving on.

"My friend was grievously injured and bleeding profusely.

Cars, autos and bikes slowed down and sped away.

I kept waving for help.
The ones who stopped stared at us, discussing what could have happened.
Nobody did anything

Three PCR vans arrived at the spot.

Then,  the cops spent the next half-hour arguing over whose jurisdiction the crime fell under

The police did not pick us up.

One of them tore a sheet and offered it to me to cover my friend. In my injured state, I picked her up and put her in the PCR van

The police took us to Safdarjung Hospital rather than going to the nearest private hospital. As it was late night traffic was less so they reach their otherwise  Nirbhaya would have died same day.

When we reached the hospital, I sat without clothes on the floor for a long time even as my friend was taken inside for treatment

He said for the next four days, he lay on a stretcher in the police station, where he was not provided any treatment or counseling.

In fact, he added that his treatment was being done at a private hospital on his own expense.

He told to zee news that shifting shift Nirbhaya to Singapore for treatment was opportunistic decision aimed at controlling the protests. "When they thought the pressure was too much to handle, they moved her to Singapore. Had she been taken to a good hospital in the first place, she would have been alive."

In his first public interviews  Nirbhaya's friend said on Friday that the two of them lay naked on the road for more than two hours with people stopping to look at them and then moving on.

I do not think  zee news or the nirbhays male friend has done anything wrong.

Nothing is wrong in speaking truth.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 892851.cms
After charging five of the accused under stringent sections, including gang rape, murder and criminal conspiracy, in the gang rape chargesheet, police are preparing another strong chargesheet against the five and their juvenile accomplice for robbing a carpenter, Ramadhar Singh, before the rape. Sources told TOI on Friday that police will soon take all the accused in their custody to finish the investigation and file a chargesheet within January.
On the evening of December 16, the accused allegedly spotted Ramadhar Singh soon after starting from RK Puram Sector 3. They posed as though they were operating a chartered bus and admitted Ramadhar, who was headed for Nehru Place. They charged him Rs 10 as fare but, while on the move, robbed him of Rs 1,500 and a mobile phone and threw him out of the bus near IIT Delhi around 8.45pm. Thereafter, they continued taking rounds of the Hauz Khas area, Delhi Police sources said.

Police had claimed that Ramadhir Singh had not made a PCR call about the robbery,
otherwise the gangrape incident would have probably been averted. After robbing Ramadhar Singh, the accused drove the bus towards Munirka bus stand and picked up the 23-year-old woman and her male friend.
Lies and deceit

The report dated 23rd Dec 2012 from TOIlet
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... three-cops
NEW DELHI: A day after the high court stricture, three policemen from the Hauz Khas police station have been suspended due to dereliction of duty on the night of the Sunday gang rape.

Ramadhar Singh, the man who was picked up from RK Puram Sector 4 by the six gang rape accused, robbed and dumped near IIT, had approached these policemen but was told to go to the Vasant Vihar police station as the crime spot "were not under their purview", said a source. Fifteen minutes later, the bus reached Munirka from where 23-year-old Nirbhaya (as TOI has symbolically named the victim) was picked up along with her male friend and then gang-raped.
It took a reprimand from the Delhi high court on Friday to make Delhi Police identify the cops who could have possibly helped in stopping the brutal gang rape on December 16. "The three men are from the Hauz Khas police station and have been identified as constables Kailash, Ashok and Sandeep," said a source. Several other officers, especially from the control room and traffic, are already under scanner along with local officers from the Delhi cantonment, Vasant Kunj and Vasant Vihar police stations.

"The three cops were on patrol duty around 8.15pm when they were approached by Ramadhar.
He had told them that he was robbed and that he had lost his mobile and, hence, cannot call 100. The cops, however, told them they were from the Hauz Khas police station and he needs to go to Vasant Vihar police station to register a case. They neither sent out a wireless message to track the bus nor had they informed Vasant Vihar cops about the incident," said a source.
and a similar report in The Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Del ... 220805.ece
Recounting his experience in the same bus in which the 23-year-old physiotherapy student was gang-raped on Sunday night, Ramadhar Singh on Wednesday described how he was robbed on the fateful night.

Ramadhar had left for home after finishing work at a shop in Munirka around 8-30 p.m. While he was waiting at a bus stop near Sabji Mandi in R. K. Puram, he saw a white bus approaching. As it slowed down, 35-year-old Ramadhar asked a boy sitting inside whether it will go towards Khanpur. The reply was affirmative and Ramadhar boarded the bus.

From there started his nightmarish experience. Minutes after the bus took a turn towards Hauz Khas, those sitting inside the bus started searching his pockets. As he protested, they allegedly started beating him up. All his money (he was carrying around Rs.1,500 then) was robbed and his mobile phone snatched.

During his journey, Ramadhar claimed to have heard one of the attackers screaming “..Ask Mukesh to drive faster”. A few minutes later, Ramadhar was dropped near the IIT flyover and the bus sped away.

It is learnt that the bus made a U-turn and took the Outer Ring Road towards Munirka from where they picked the 23-year-old girl and her friend, and drove towards Mahipalpur.

Ramdhar, bereft of his money and mobile, started looking for a police station when he saw two bike-borne policemen passing by. He stopped them, narrated the incident and asked for help. They told him that the area came under the jurisdiction of Vasant Vihar police station and they were from somewhere else. The victim, unable to get a mode of transport to the police station decided to return home. Later as he was walking, a three-wheeler driver going towards his house in Sangam Vihar agreed to drop him.

Ramadhar approached one Sanjeev who runs an NGO in South Delhi. Sanjeev told The Hindu that after the arrested person’s purported confession of robbing him, a case of robbery was registered at the Vasant Vihar police station on Tuesday.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

The Satanic Six are certainly criminally minded sadistic and habitual offenders. Police should really probe what other crimes they committed . The Killer Bus and its Owner Including Political master behind him must be exposed then only police might be able to redeem its image ever so slightly.

It cant be a simple case of drunken driving, joyride and rape murder. They are accomplished killers including Juvenile who was there to take the fall ( at the most for three years). It is a known fact that criminals resort to using Juveniles in their nefarious enterprises. Once tasted blood, juveniles start to enjoy it. He might be also used to satisfy Ram singh after death of his wife. A criminalised and sodomised juvenile is likely to turn sadistic.

Others must be charged for these things as well .
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the juvenile is a gang initiate, he will work harder to impress his superiors
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Thanks for the words guys , really appreciate it.

Ravi ji,
The feed aggregates & the map shows all those items still in the feeds of the respective news outlets which form the sources. Generally speaking most of the articles have publish date more or less in the preceding 2 days.

Currently iam looking at saving all these feed items as they come in a google spread sheet and linking that sheet to the google maps API - benefits would be - one will be able to delete false positives easily by deleting rows in the spread sheet - which is not possible in the geoRSS feed (it was possible in twitter easily by deleting the tweets).
Secondly with such a setup one would be able to create a scrollable timeline below or above the map, able to view events from the inception of the feed or in a specific period in between. currently that "storage" in google spreadsheet is working for the basic attributes of each items (title ,link ,description etc) and not working for the esoteric aspects like (place,state, location etc) - after this integration is done maintaining the list will be easier and the list will be populated better.

Yes Ramana ji, i was thinking that such a similar setup could be easily and immediately replicated for tracking Islamist networks geographically within India using certain keywords specific for them, basically because we have the location data for most indian toponymns immediately at hand. In TSP case ill check their RSS feed availability and quality and then set about the task of collecting toponymns
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

VikramS wrote:http://t.co/AanpVptg comments?
Vikram, this is standard MO of the Dynasty-camp - we'd all better get used to more of such pukeworthy stuff on a regular basis.

The modus operandi is fairly simple....Whenever the Dynasty is in a situation where it is in deep shit due to governance issues - start throwing mud on Indian culture, since that is identified with BJP and the pressure lessens on the Dynasty.

In fact this ideology was articulated quite openly by TK Arun, another lapdog of the Congress who's managed to inveigle himself into a position as editor of the Economic Times (!!), who questioned as early as a few days after the rape, as to why the Congress had not yet used the opportunity to throw mud at Hindutva.
Politicians would recognise an opportunity at least when it falls on them, if not at a distance. For all political parties committed to the values of liberal democracy, the countrywide outrage over rape is an opportunity to challenge and undermine revaunchist, revivalist Hindutva, committed to Indian tradition that segregates women into goddess or whore based on chastity. Instead, the occupants of Raisina Hill have successfully turned public anger against themselves, beating up and detaining young protesters, projecting them, to boot, as urban upstarts unconcerned about the violence against women that rages in rural India
Another way to identify this MO is simple- track what issues the avowedly Congress fans on BRF bring up.

Bade: started railing against the stand that the rape issue was a failure of the Delhi Congress government. Theo Fidel, Vina, Ekalavya: all started throwing mud on Indian culture & Hindutva as the bane of the problem, to deflect attention from the Delhi government's failure.

We need to be able to connect the dots as a forum, and as a society...
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

this advice to women is being shared on kitab-e-chehra, quite useful - but not entirely suitable for Indian conditions; atleast some useful pointers
"THROUGH A RAPIST'S EYES" (PLS TAKE TIME TO READ THIS. it may save a life.) Click Share Button to share it on your Wall.

It seems that a lot of attackers use some tactic to get away with violence. Not many people know how to take care of themselves when faced with such a situation. Everyone should read this especially each and every girl in this world.

THOUGHT THIS WAS GOOD INFO TO PASS ALONG...

Through a rapist's eyes! A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:

1] The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun! , braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.

2] The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.

3] They also look for women using their cell phone, searching through their purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered.

4] The number one place women are abducted from / attacked at is grocery store parking lots.

5] Number two is office parking lots/garages.

6] Number three is public restrooms.

7] The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.

8] If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.

9] These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.

10] Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.

POINTS THAT WE SHOULD REMEMBER:

1] If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk: can't believe it is so cold out here, we're in for a bad winter. Now that you've seen their faces and could identify them in a line- up, you lose appeal as a target.

2] If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell Stop or Stay back! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.

3] If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes,) yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.

4] If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can do it by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and
armpit or in the upper inner thigh - HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it really hurts.

5] After the initial hit, always go for the groin. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot of
trouble. Start causing trouble, and he's out of there.

6] When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked
audibly.

7] Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, and go with your instincts. You may feel little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.

FINALLY, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE AS WELL....

I know you are smart enough to know these pointers but there will be some, where you will go "hmm I must remember that" After reading, forward it to someone you care about, never hurts to be careful in
this crazy world we live in.

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do it.

2. Learned this from a tourist guide to New Orleans: if a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you.... chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car: Kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit
(doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU CLOSE the DOORS, LEAVE.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:

a. Be aware: look around your car as someone may be hiding at the passenger side, peek into your car, inside the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. (DO THIS TOO BEFORE RIDING A TAXI CAB).

b. If you! U are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

c. Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard /policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this to the ladies only, but guys, if you love your mothers,
wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to pass it onto them, as well.

Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better safe than sorry.

If u have a heart or compassion share this photo.

WE CAN SHARE JOKES AND SPAM MAILS TO OUR FRIENDS & NETWORKS
PLEASE FOR ONCE SHARE THIS AND
LETS TRY TO HELP THEM.

‘Helping hands are better than Praying Lips’ – give us your helping hand.
SHARE IT WITH ALL UR FRIENDS.

AT LEAST PEOPLES WILL KNOW WATS GOING IN WORLD.

Friends So Please Share....Your one share can Help to spread this information. We share So many Stupid Things on Facebook and ignore these types of things which can save so many lives’s...

Take care.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Driving past accident victims or looking on is quite common in 1st tier and 2nd tier cities. People never help. Even I'm guilty of it. Several years ago I saw an a motorcycle accident where the victim fell into a ditch by the side of the road in a busy market. I had the driver stop my car and I got out to help, but was pulled away by relatives saying the police will file charges against us if we get involved. A few hours later I went back to the accident scene and the victim was gone along with his mangled motorcycle. The people in the market said the fellow was taken to a nursing home by family members and had his bike hauled off.

This has to change. All of us need to be involved.