Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

Post by Chinmayanand »

Misraji , you desperately need a paki or a cheeni passport. Paki passport will be much better. Pakis need somebody peaceful and human . Only few viable candidates are yourself along with Manmohan. :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

let me now make a wild guess - he might hold a Phd in "strategy" :twisted:
(no offence meant saar , just alluding to another departed soul)
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Singha wrote:let me now make a wild guess - he might hold a Phd in "strategy" :twisted:
:?: ... Who might that be?

--Ashish

PS: On second thought, Scratch that request. I sense I am not gonna to be pleased about it anyway..... :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I forgot his handle name, but others of truer faith and stronger shields might still remember.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

I see. Have been an BR lurker for sometime. But no clue about the gentlemen you are alluding to.

Sigh, given the difference of opinion I am having rest of the folks here, I guess I would have to stop calling myself a jingo.
Getting too old for $hit like accepting millions of casualties ... :mrgreen:

--Ashish
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Misraji wrote:I see. Have been an BR lurker for sometime. But no clue about the gentlemen you are alluding to.

Sigh, given the difference of opinion I am having rest of the folks here, I guess I would have to stop calling myself a jingo.
Getting too old for $hit like accepting millions of casualties ... :mrgreen:

--Ashish

Kindly do not disrespect and blame age for your failings.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Over the past few pages i have seen that the RNIs dont even wish to see India use nukes in fiction as well.

Amazing conditioning.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

Chinmayanand wrote:Misraji , you desperately need a paki or a cheeni passport. Paki passport will be much better. Pakis need somebody peaceful and human . Only few viable candidates are yourself along with Manmohan. :rotfl:
Chinmayanand, your post is inappropriate, and I've reported it to the mods.
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

Singha wrote:let me now make a wild guess - he might hold a Phd in "strategy" :twisted:
Oh you brought back some of my most hilarious memories on BRF.

Here it is http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... hd#p829556
As for the competence of the IAF, I am sure these guys pull the sticks and triggers well, but technology management is not their core strength. Especially if the reasons they do what and how they do it are what you have mentioned. I have irrefutably a upper hand on this, being a soon to be PhD from a world leading university in Technology Strategy.
This led to hilarious discussion for some time. Many posters replied nitinm but a gem of a reply was given by daktar sahib...

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... hd#p829676
Wow!! Can I have your autograph please! Imagine. A PhD! In a forum full of illiterates!

But I have a claim to fame too. I have actually met and shaken hands with a PhD. Now I know not many of you have done that - but I can tell you his name - Ramnarayan Goldstein and give you his email. He sends out autographs for Pakistan $1 apiece.
Then nitinm wrote this - http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 40#p830207
Not me personally....but your disrespect for the highest level of academic achievement is a testament of your level of ignorance! For people who see PhDs everywhere, I would like you to show me one Technology Strategist in India for there are only ~50 in the world!
And in response shiv was even more hilarious... http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 40#p830579
Did you know that there are less than 50 AIDS infected camels in the world? And none in India. Shows their utility I guess..
Since then many posters are using the word phd in technology strategy as brf lingo. But havn't seen it used in recent times.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

So now the story goes:
China launches around 100 nukes at us, we have to retaliate with 100 salted nukes at their most industrialised areas , laced with Cobalt 59 and Goldisotop 197 so that ******** can't use those parts of lands and have to proceed to make great cities in gobi desert over the next 10000 years.

Simultaneously we must launch 315 warheads (clean bombs as there is no himalayan in-between to prevent air bringing those pollutants over here) towards porkis , as they're not going to sit silently watching us nuke-wounded.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Admin - How does rights of the authors like Vivek affected by posting first in BR??? Is there any policy on this???
gkriish
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gkriish »

Now comes the real problem for the Chinese If the Russians move their forces and alert their BMD's to the east then it is a move against the Chinese and they have to move their troops and stay alert over the Russian Border as well That's not all then the Americans will also be on high alert on their border and also on their bases in Japan and South Korea and Vietnam and By then They would have mobilised their armed forces and the marine corps and now the options left with Chinese is to stop the war or Nuke India Russia South Korea Japan and Americans and take every country down with them.......... Am I rite Vivek
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Chinese may try taking advantage of this situation against Taiwan and perhaps Japan. They can even encourage North Korea to escalate the tensions with South just to divert the attention and settle territorial disputes in their own favour. USA should be on guard, but it's only a half chancel that it'll be a good news for us.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Avarachan wrote:
Chinmayanand wrote:Misraji , you desperately need a paki or a cheeni passport. Paki passport will be much better. Pakis need somebody peaceful and human . Only few viable candidates are yourself along with Manmohan. :rotfl:
Chinmayanand, your post is inappropriate, and I've reported it to the mods.
Thanks Avarachan. I, too, protest this comparison to MMS. I talk... :mrgreen:

--Ashish
Vinit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vinit »

This debate about the "appropriate" level of response to a nuclear attack is decades old (cold war times), and does tend to boil down to doves, owls, and hawks. I don't believe there is a clear answer yet - if clear answers can indeed be expected of such scenarios.

The doves are normally slow to escalate, with an over-riding concern for their population, or what remains of it (e.g. classic question - would the US actually launch if the DDR detonated a single nuke over W.German troops?). The owls believe in tit-for-tat responses without escalation, viz. you bomb me twice, I bomb you twice ... this belief that nuclear war can be 'contained' in this way led to the "limited nuclear war" theory. The hawks believe in total response for the smallest nuke attack.

Again, I don't think there is a prescriptive answer. For example, the hawk posture is a great one for deterrence, but might not necessarily be exercised in practice. A fact-based debate would be useful ... in the appropriate thread! Meanwhile, Vivek: many, many thanks for the snippets of some of the finest war fiction I've ever read. Looking forward to more...
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

What is important to note is that for some God's blessing nearly 50 missiles were destroyed in that agony attack. Imagine if it didn't happen. India would have been hit with nearly that many nukes.

The peaceniks always find a way to "rationalize" for peace at any cost.

I can guarantee that PM misra would say, it is unfortunate that 5 million Indians died. But should we risk killing another 20 million in our metros in addition to millions in china? Let us save the civilization.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Eastern side seems full of juicy targets:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/400 ... 8566f4.jpg
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Vivek-ji -- can we have more please?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

MOSCOW
DAY 12 + 1530 HRS

“So they got our message?” Ambassador Tiwari asked as he took the paper from Bogdanov.
“They did,” was the short answer to that question from the Russian Minister. “And they responded with this.” Bogdanov nodded to the paper in Tiwari’s hand as the latter glanced over the details quickly.
“They have to be joking!” Tiwari replied with a surprise.
“Indeed,” Bogdanov said with a grunt. “Going by the rhetoric that General Chen laid out for their state media two hours ago, I thought we might have been too late! The president ordered full readiness on our part in case Beijing began lashing out on other parties in the region as well.”

Tiwari grimaced as he folded that paper and put it back on the table between the two men.
“Don’t bet your money yet!” he replied to Bogdanov. “We are not out of the woods. We want to know what they have in mind before we will commit to anything at this point!”
“Just get the people to start talking, Tiwari!” Bogdanov stressed emphatically. “If they are talking, they are not lobbing nuclear warheads at each other. That is all there is to it at this point!”
“I agree,” Tiwari replied with a nod.

“And if we are lucky,” Bogdanov continued, “we may all make it out alive in one piece…”
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

THIMPU
BHUTAN
DAY 12 + 1630 HRS

The Dechencholing palace grounds were a hotbed of activity as the King of Bhutan stepped out of the interior buildings wearing the traditional Bhutanese formal dress along with General Potgam in his camo-uniform and beret. The vast numbers of journalists that had been brought into Thimpu immediately began throwing questions in a flurry as the King and Potgam walked up to them. Potgam winced from the camera flashes as the King stared to the south and remained silent. The journalists caught his glare and turned back as well to see the massive light-brown dust cloud rising into the blue afternoon sky above the white-capped peaks south of Thimpu. He then turned to see a similar cloud drifting east from the northern hills as well. It took him every ounce of self-restrain he could conjure up but even so, a tear ran down his cheek which was instantly grabbed on film by the media. He turned away and saw past Potgam standing stoically while the light cool winds were shaking the blades of the parked AW-101 helicopter on the grounds behind him, its cockpit glass reflecting the sunlight. He removed a small handkerchief from his dress and wiped the tear away, cleared his throat and then turned back to the flashing cameras to outline his request for humanitarian assistance to deal with the nuclear fallout over his once-pristine Himalayan Kingdom.
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 19 Jan 2013 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

JUNWEI KONGJUN
BEIJING
DAY 12 + 1830 HRS

“You sure it will work?” Chen asked.
“It has to,” Wencang said as he leaned for the phone and picked up the speaker. He waited while the prearranged process took place from the foreign ministry offices. It would take a few minutes.
“You know,” Chen said as he took his seat on one of the other chairs in the room, “as much as I am responsible in convincing you to put Typhoon on hold, I fear very much that our people will never accept this.”
“They will have little choice on the matter,” Wencang replied as he waited for the process to complete. “My worry is the Indians. Let’s just hope the Indians are as smart as you think them out to be to see what is on offer and take it without holding for more.”

The call went through a few seconds later. Wencang sat straighter in his chair and looked to the phone on the center of the table.

“This is General Wencang, commander of Chinese military forces and acting President for the People’s Republic of China. I have Lieutenant-General Chen from the People’s Liberation Army Air Force and other representatives from the Chinese government and military here with me.”
“General, this is the Prime-Minister of the Republic of India. And I have my cabinet and military commanders on this conversation line,” the PM’s voice came through.

“Very well, Mr. Prime-Minister. You know the reason for this call. I think this war has gone on far too long and taken the lives of far too many. Following your nuclear strikes against an airfield known to me like the back of my hand all these years, I would say you are extremely lucky in that I have commanders here who could see past my rage. Else I was this close to wiping your nation off the face of this planet!”

“General,” the PM replied, reading from the notes that Ravoof and Chakri had prepared for these questions, “I think we have demonstrated time and again our capability for sharp precision strikes against the Chinese leadership, notwithstanding your state media broadcasts to your people. I am sure you have the capability to launch devastating nuclear strikes against our nation, but if that had been your only concern, I think we would not have been here talking right now. You know very well that we will launch and take out all your major cities as well. Millions would have died on both sides.”

“I agree, Mr. Prime-Minister.” Wencang said neutrally. “As much as I would like to see your country brought to its knees on the battlefield for what it has done to mine, I would not like to end the lives of millions of Chinese civilians in doing so. That said, I think it is prudent to set the ground rules for this conversation. I will go first,” Wencang stated plainly.
“Very well General, go ahead.” The PM replied.

“Firstly, I want to make sure that you understand that I am a professional air-force officer. I do not condone the murder of civilians through the use of nuclear weapons although I wouldn’t hesitate in the slightest bit if I had to do it for my nation. Secondly, I am going to go as far as to admit that India has fought us to a draw in multiple sectors of the front and taken advantage in others. Thirdly, your nation is waging all-out war on mine by attacking our merchant shipping lines, splintering Tibet and launching decapitating strikes against this country’s leadership. Your air and naval forces have eliminated my country’s forces to the level that if this war continues as it has, I am left with no recourse at this time but to continue to use nuclear weapons even more liberally than that done this morning. That is where we have come,” Wencang stated and leaned back in his chair.

“General,” the PM stated, “I accept your points but I want to remind you that your country has already tried doing all of what you stated and more! Simply because we were more effective in doing what you tried and failed does not eliminate the perpetrators and their guilt. Secondly, we are at the point now where your nation has already used nuclear weapons against a third party, Bhutan, after having invaded it in the first place! We did not wage war through Bhutan as your media has been claiming for the last two weeks. But we did respond to your country’s blatant aggressions there. And when defeated, you resorted to the vile use of nuclear weapons against. There will be reparations for that, General. I assure you.”

“You used Tibet to try and bleed us! We did the same to Bhutan! I see no difference between the two!” Wencang replied sharply.
“And I disagree. So what is the purpose of this conversation, General?” the PM asked calmly. Wencang now leaned forward to the phone.

“To end this war while our nations are still left standing, Mr. Prime-Minister. I propose that both sides declare a ceasefire at midnight tonight and withdraw immediately to their pre-war locations. That both sides issue statements to that effect and initiate multiple level government contacts to ensure that there are no misunderstandings.”

“We want more than that, I am afraid,” the PM stated.
Wencang sighed. Of course you do!

“Very well, Mr. Prime-Minister. I am listening.”
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

:mrgreen: Me too
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Wokay!!! ... Somebody has two more balls than we gave him credit for ... :mrgreen:

--Ashish
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^

It does require some balls to listen to advise and read from the notes. I only hope PM Mishra wouldn't say "#Theekhai?!"
“General,” the PM replied, reading from the notes that Ravoof and Chakri had prepared for these questions, “I think we have demonstrated time and again our capability for sharp precision strikes against the Chinese leadership, notwithstanding your state media broadcasts to your people. I am sure you have the capability to launch devastating nuclear strikes against our nation, but if that had been your only concern, I think we would not have been here talking right now. You know very well that we will launch and take out all your major cities as well. Millions would have died on both sides.”
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Misraji,
Let's not forget this is fiction.. And we need to grant creative license to vivekji to make giants out of midgets..

RamaYgaru,
Let's not mock anyone's belief in staying clear of a nuclear retalliation. While I do not condone that view, I would still respect their right to hold their own opinions and express them.
JMO.
Last edited by Bala Vignesh on 19 Jan 2013 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

vivek_ahuja-saar, great show, this. Though it has been done already and the glow is still in the mountains - bliss to have embedded a few mannish-looking ladies, who are either TV anchors or peace activists in that valley that been nuked in Bhutan! We need a few "civilian" martyrs and these butch-madams always seem ready to provide co-ordinates to the bad guys.

The media management aspect, as well as daily briefings like Kargil needs a lot of attention in this situation, or Baidoo searches will be filled with doo of the type like the CMC release about "Bhutan been nuked by injuns". Embedding a few reporters with satellite uplink is a must, at least in theatre HQs of all three forces. So is lashing together a few of the op-ed writers into a team to take out idiot propaganda against India by pon-defecating likes of NYT, CNN etc with some fine rhetoric of our own.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Bala Vignesh garu,

No issues with Mishra the poster handle. He is more than welcome to present his PoV.

This debate is between two points of view, as presented by RamaY and Mishra. If Mishra can name-call others as "Adrenaline pumping internet warriors" and get away while condoning others when they report posters for personal calls, it shows some intellectual bankruptcy or dishonesty at best.

We as a society are dhimmified to the extent that we dont feel bad when Nationalistic and Majority view point is ridiculed, name-called and worse demonized in the name of (sic) secularism and liberal values. At the same time we find it is acceptable when these secular dhimmis do an equal equal every time a minority/secular goes berserk as we are seeing in Owaisi's scenario.

My stand is that I present the nationalistic perspective and ridicule secular dhimmi liberals at every opportunity, because that is the least I can do in a discussion forum with hidden identities.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

EAST OF DAULAT-BEG-OLDI
LADAKH
DAY 12 + 2330 HRS

Fire!” Kulkarni ordered.
The Arjun tank shuddered and the turret filled with smoke as the expended shell casing dropped back from the main gun. The smell of cordite was thick in the cramped surroundings. He continued to peer though the sights while the gunner began loading up the next round from the ready-to-use storage inside the tank. Further north, a small fireball erupted and metal pieces flew up in the air followed by a smoke cloud, visible on his night-vision optics as a flash of white on a green background. He felt the tank rumble as the driver turned left and to maneuver but the turret remained stabilized on the target being lazed by the gunner and himself.

“Sabot up!” his loader shouted over the comms traffic from the other tanks.
“Rhino-One, this is Rhino-Command,” the radio squawked in his headset. Kulkarni identified the voice of the 43RD Regiment Commander calling from his headquarters collocated near Colonel Sudarshan’s. Kulkarni pressed the headset closer over his ears. “We are seeing enemy armor opposite your lines in retreat to the northeast! Can you confirm? Over”

He squinted and then poked through the optics again. He saw the three remaining Chinese T-99s turning their hulls to the northeast while maintain turret alignment to the south as they retreated, deploying aerosol clouds from their turret canisters…
“Uh, roger,” he replied, his voice reflecting his uncertainty over what was happening amongst the enemy positions. “I confirm enemy armor retreating in full to the northeast and abandoning prepared positions along the M-S-R. Over”

Kulkarni checked around and saw on his battlefield management system that there were seven other Arjuns still reporting active from the regiment. They had been fighting here for days. And they had taken heavy losses while doing so. But there had been no reinforcements available since Ladakh could not support any more new units over its clogged logistical arteries. More to the point, the arrival of the 43RD Armored Regiment had stabilized the front opposite numerous Chinese armor units equipped with the modern, but less-capable, T-99s. And so both sides had been slugging it out over here for days with dwindling resources on either side. The 43RD AR was down to a force of just three effective platoons, but they still occupied positions just two kilometers east of the original LAC…

“Rhino-Command,” Kulkarni said as he looked away from the BMS through the optics again to see the PLA T-99s moving further and further northeast, “Rhino is ready to charge and pursue enemy force! I have two platoons with me here and I am good to go! Over!”
“Negative, Rhino-One,” the voice came over the radio. “Do not pursue enemy armor. Rhino will hold positions and terminate all further combat operations. Do you copy?”
The gunner and the loader turned around from their jobs to face Kulkarni who looked just as surprised. But he wasn’t going to go around questioning orders…
“Wilco! Rhino is holding!”

What the hell… Kulkarni thought as he backed away from the sights as the radio chimed off.
“Sir, did the war just get over?” his loader asked softly.

Kulkarni shook his head in silence and then opened the hatch above and pulled himself out into the freezing winds outside just as the sounds of artillery fire stopped on the horizon and so did the gunfire noises. He pulled out his binoculars while noticing that all other seven Arjun tanks around him had also done the same with tank commanders opening hatches as well. He put the binoculars to his eyes and observed the northeast to see the departing dust clouds as the Chinese armor pulled away to ensure neither side could engage the other with their main guns. All Arjuns on the frontline also jerked to halt and switch off their engines.

Kulkarni heard the whipping noises of helicopters and turned back to see the two LCHs under Wing-Commander Dutt and 199HU banking away to the south, departing the warzone as they disappeared into the darkness of the south. There were still random bursts of distant gunfire noises from the south, but they were more erratic and random now. A silence fell over the valley that the soldiers in Ladakh from both sides had not heard for more than two weeks…

Kulkarni grunted to himself and smiled just as his radio squawked in his ears:
“Rhinoe-One, this is –Two. Did the war just end?”

“Looks like it , –Two,” Kulkarni replied and rubbed his eyes as the moment finally hit him.

It’s over?
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

:mrgreen:

Looks like Indian demands are met by Chinese counterparts.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

vivek_ahuja wrote:

It’s over?

Is it?
Yeh Dil Maange More.

Brilliant.

A great piece of writing. Many points are covered in great and minute details .
You have exposed Army Air and Naval forces strength and weaknesses and how it affected the course of War.
Nuclear doctrine is clearly came out as best piece as yet. NFU and use of measured response is indeed commendable.

I was moved by your description of King of Bhutan.

My offer still stands whoever names the novel first would get a free copy from me.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

....whoops missed earlier posts. Self deleted.
Last edited by aditp on 19 Jan 2013 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Misraji,
Let's not forget this is fiction.. And we need to grant creative license to vivekji to make giants out of midgets..
...SNIP ...
While I do not condone that view, I would still respect their right to hold their own opinions and express them.
JMO.
Oh absolutely. Fiction it is and a completely brilliant one at that.
And its actually the statement “We want more than that, I am afraid,” the PM stated. that made me comment.
In general, I would be worried that we would simply retreat back to original pre-war positions as we have historically done.

Appreciate the sentiment about individual opinions and civilized discussion.... :)

--Ashish
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

EPILOGUE

CHUMBI VALLEY
DAY 13 + 1030 HRS

Colonel Thomas looked over and saw the column of PLA soldiers trudging through the valley to the south under the watchful eyes of his paratroopers, now wearing their red berets instead of the combat helmets. Their Tavors were slung on their chests and their heavy backpacks on their shoulders as they carefully escorted the last few columns of the survivors from the PLA 11TH Division who had surrendered. His radioman was standing behind him as Thomas watched the silently moving column of men pass by him. When the last of those soldiers had walked away, he sighed and began walking as well, leaving the exposed positions they had occupied a few days before. The encirclement was over. And their job was done.

The valley would remain unoccupied by both sides for now. As with the rest of Tibet, Bhutan and the Aksai Chin, there were plans in place for the valley as well in the coming few weeks…
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

CHAGRI DORJEDEN MONASTARY
NORTHERN BHUTAN
DAY 15 + 1430 HRS

Vikram took the three cups from the monks and walked over into the courtyard to find Captain Pathanya lying on the small wooden plank-sheathed bed, his leg covered with the thick bandages applied by the monks the day before. He was soaking up the sun despite the chilly winds battering hillsides that day.

Vikram walked over and Tarun took his cup from Vikram as he did a balancing act with the cups in his hands. Vikram walked up to the edge of the cot and handed Pathanya one of the steaming cups just as the latter sat up straighter on the bed. Vikram finally took his cup and then walked over to where he had set his backpack and the single rifle left within the group on the wall. He sat down and leaned against that wall and sipped his steaming tea, enjoying the taste, the hot fluid and most importantly, the calm…

Bhutan was quiet now, and for the last forty-eight hours the three men had heard no more sounds of explosions or gunfire in Bhutan. And that was a welcome change to Vikram, who had grown tired of it after so many days out here in Bhutan. But at the time they had had different problems on their hands.

The three men had walked south from their positions west of Barshong after the nuclear attack had wiped out the entire force of paratroopers from the 11TH Para-SF Battalion there as well as most of the men in Spear. They had walked over the freezing snow-capped ridges south of Barshong and had walked for more than a day and a half, helping Pathanya with his leg wound until they had spotted the orange-brown rooftops of this monastery northwest of Dotanang. They had walked over to the gates of the monastery on the verge of exhaustion yesterday and had been found by the monks inside. The occupants of the monastery had taken the three soldiers inside and had given them food and medical aid. They had patched up Pathanya and even sent a couple of young monks as runners to Dotanang to try and reach the surviving Indian paratroopers there for assistance.
Those runners had not yet returned, and so Vikram and Tarun had discussed their options. One of which was that Vikram would leave Tarun here with Pathanya and then make the trip alone south to Dotanang, and if required, Thimpu, to reach Indian forces there. They hadn’t seen any new flashes of light from the south so there was every expectation that Thimpu might not have been nuked and that the war was over, although without radio support they couldn’t be sure…

Vikram was still thinking about that as he sipped his tea when he heard the distant rumble of incoming helicopters. Pathanya and Tarun did as well and both men sat up straighter and looked south on instinct. They couldn’t see anything from there because of the high walls around the compound. Vikram put down the cup, picked up the Tavor rifle leaning on the wall next to him and ran towards the main compound door and then out on the dirt clearing outside. Tarun ran up behind him.

They saw a two army Dhruv helicopters heading up the valley from the south with their nose pitched down before flaring for a landing. Tarun warned all of the monks gathered outside to go back inside the compound while Vikram knelt on the clearing just as the skids of the helicopters touched down amidst a large cloud of brown dust and dead grass…

The doors slid open and he saw paratroopers jumping outside with their rifles and heading towards the compound and other outlying buildings of the monastery while Colonel Misra jumped out in his beret and ran over to Vikram. Both men walked away from the helicopter just as the noise from its engines began whining down.

“Damn good to see you, Lef-tenant!” Misra said over the noise as he patted Vikram on his back.
“Thank you, sir!” Vikram replied as he found a lump in his throat at seeing the Colonel having come all the way to get them home. “How did you even find us, sir?”
“Those monks you sent as runners found the leading detachment of my boys moving north with some NBC reconnaissance vehicles airlifted in yesterday,” Misra replied as they watched two army doctors gathering their backpacks from the second helicopter’s cabin and walking up to the two men.

“Where is he?” the Captain from the medical corps said to Vikram.
“In there, sir,” Vikram said with an arm gesturing inside the compound. Both doctors walked inside without any further ado. Misra and Vikram followed up behind. They saw the two doctors kneeling next to the bed with Pathanya on it while opening the makeshift bandages on his leg and checking his other chest wounds. Tarun stood by in concern as they did their job.

“Sir, what are my orders?” Vikram said with a stiffened back as he realized the war still might be on.
The Colonel looked at Vikram and smiled.
“The war is over, son. It did so two days ago,” Misra said. He saw the shock on Vikram’s face. Tarun and Pathanya looked up at the Colonel as well. “And I am getting you boys out of here and back to India even if I have to get General Potgam to get a special helicopter out of Thimpu to do so. You all did your country proud, gentlemen! On my orders Spear team is officially to stand down.

"Effective immediately.”

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Kudos Vivek ji. Excellent scenario.

It would be great if you can include the geopolitical results of this scenario as it gives hope/idea/confidence/fear/thoughtfulness on what is at stake for all the involved parties.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

RamaY wrote:Kudos Vivek ji. Excellent scenario.

It would be great if you can include the geopolitical results of this scenario as it gives hope/idea/confidence/fear/thoughtfulness on what is at stake for all the involved parties.
That's included in the book to a good bit but I also want to leave something up to the reader's imagination at this point.

Besides, my new scenario/novel after this one will be a direct sequel to this one so I want to leave a good starting point for that one as well. That second one will be more geo-political anyway. When I had started work on this scenario two years ago, my goal was to do a gritty ground-level type scenario seen from the soldier's standpoint. And in doing so the reader was only exposed to what the soldier's knew and saw. That utterly limited the exploration of the geo-politcal context even though we as readers can all see it in the background. So that was one scenario. As I said, the second one will build on the implications of this ending so that you can imagine how much geopolitical it will be! :twisted:

-Vivek
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Vivek saar,
brilliant. And kudos to your commitment to complete the work. :)

Hopefully, someone will put all these posts into one word file or pdf.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

VIvek ji,
Next scenario should restore whole ME/West Asia to our rightful ownership . :D
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

To all readers, BRF or otherwise:

I hope you all enjoyed this scenario and will read its extended, cleaned up version in the novel when it comes out. Right now the draft remains with Harper Collins India for review and I will let you know what their decision is. If they can't/don't want to publish this, I will publish through Amazon and make it available to you via either FlipKart or GoVasool (the latter has already contacted me regarding the marketing and delivery in India regardless of whether the publisher is HCI or Amazon).

Its been a pleasure for me to write all of these five hundred novel pages and I hope it was entertaining to you as well. This novel and the ones after will come only because of your support and encouragement.

Thank you

-Vivek

Upcoming book (pending approval of title, of course!) :

saadhak
BRFite

Post by saadhak »

Vivekji, thank you very much for the treat.
You have a fantastic flair of writing combined with knowledge of your subject.
Looking forward to the release of your novel and wishing it success!
And also to your next scenario.