Indian Military Aviation- Jan 10 2012

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation- Jan 10 2012

Post by shiv »

SSridhar wrote:For the first time, IAF a/c land at the new Thanjavur Air Base - The Hindu
During the recently-concluded annual exercise “Dakshin Prahar”, conducted by the Southern Air Command (SAC), Indian Air Force (IAF) Fighter Aircrafts, zoomed across the sky in Thanjavur. Two deep penetration fighter aircrafts took to the skies from the newly-constructed runway of the Air Force Station in Thanjavur.

“It is pertinent to note that this is the first-time fighter aircraft landed in this airfield in the last seven decades”, said a press release from the Air Force Station, Thanjavur, on Thursday
I can only imagine the thrill of young people who are seeing these roaring beasts for the first time. Brings back memories from long loooong ago for me...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

suryag wrote:Please please record the stream will be the first time we will see Tejas in action live
Am set up to do that - but I am hoping IAF will put up high qual clips like last time...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Thanks for the link!

Nice of them to acknowledge the pilots with photos.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Singha wrote:from deep in the Chola heartland the flag of India shall rise again....time to convert it into a P8 , awacs and maritime strike base second to none.
P8 is marked for INS Rajali, Arakkonam. AWACS & Su-30 MKI are being talked about for Thanjavur, AFAIK.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

wtf.. nothing has changed since the misty and foggy. Doordarshan cameras...... blinding sunlight, dust obstructing view as much as possible.. with Celine Dion "I am alive" song in the background to accompany the Su-30 MKI demo...!!! totally weirdness..
member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

Could someone please record the show? Help really appreciated.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

2/3rds into the Demo so far:

Pros:
1. Su 30MKI Flying demo with NAK Browne's son in the rear seat!
2. C-130J Assault Landing
3. OSA AK launches
4. LCA-Tejas LGB/R-73 deployment
5. Pilot photographs (nevermind the crappy sarkari format)
6. <Edit> Pechora launches were pretty badass too

Cons:
1. DD's shitty direction with closeups of netas every 10 seconds
2. Background music during weapon demos
3. The Su 30MKI's aborted drop - hope it was not pilot error for the chap's sake
4. Too long and rambling trying to squeeze in everything from Akash Ganga to drill team to orchestra

Also, interesting to see some Su 30MKI crews with pilots in the back, some with WSOs.
Last edited by member_23455 on 22 Feb 2013 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The show is good. SDRE LCA did an attack plus air defence show - first time an aircraft is showing swing role in a firepower demo.

The LGB hit the target dead on - but Doordarshan missed the moment it hit. Then the LCA fired an R 73 at a flare. I think the missile missed the flare,

Worst of all I goofed and lost 30 minutes of daytime attack video showing some spectacular target hits. I am getting the rest of the show - which is better than last time. Some good stuff there
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

The dd cameras really need to improve...it would point from shade to sun and get lost in a white flash of light.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

shiv wrote:The show is good. SDRE LCA did an attack plus air defence show - first time an aircraft is showing swing role in a firepower demo.

The LGB hit the target dead on - but Doordarshan missed the moment it hit. Then the LCA fired an R 73 at a flare. I think the missile missed the flare,

Worst of all I goofed and lost 30 minutes of daytime attack video showing some spectacular target hits. I am getting the rest of the show - which is better than last time. Some good stuff there
SHiv saar,

Did you get the LCA part? Please upload it as soon as possible..
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Singha wrote:The dd cameras really need to improve...it would point from shade to sun and get lost in a white flash of light.
I remember watching winter test matches in Doordarshan.. till the lunch session absolutely nothing was visible due to fog...but when the same test match was telecasted by Star Sports.. magically fog would have gone...!!
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Even last year R-73 missed the flare...
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Su-30 aborted its night target due to technical/? reasons :((
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Even last year R-73 missed the flare...
Vayu Shakti was 2010. Dunno why fighter deployed flares are being used instead of target flares especially since advanced AAMs like R-73 have IRCM. :?:

2 aborted drops for Su 30MKIs so far which have been the only a/c to abort. Hope safety and not pilot error behind the reasons.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Here's a philosoraptor question... given that a flare is fired as an evasive maneuver by the targetted aircraft, is it a good thing or a bad thing for the missile to miss the flare? ;-)

Anyway, i'm guessing they won't use guided missiles in the demo?? Could some gurus answer maadofy?
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

IL-78 dispensing flares at night with Koyla theme playing at the back. GOOSEBUMPS!!!! 8)
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

k prasad wrote:Anyway, i'm guessing they won't use guided missiles in the demo?? Could some gurus answer maadofy?
The seeker will be operational, otherwise what is the point. Whether there is a warhead or an inert round is another matter.

If they are spending so much on the ground busting, and 4 SAM launches as well, doubt they would have skimped on the AAM.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

missed akash .................
missed EL/W-2090 awacs.............
missed weapon usage of LCH (don't know if operational)..............

liked that a wide range of weapons were displayed , assault landing was awesome most importantly we can see the operational use of LCA....................

but instead of paper/cloth target why not use old tanks / vehicles to make it more realistic..................just a suggestion
R Arun
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Arun »

As usual DD ruined it yet again.

Rockets fired by helicopters missed their target and even the Mig 27 bombs missed the target.

Missed the start of the event ,did they fly super sonic to kick off the event like the previous years.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

why is it that two su30 never launched the weapons .......... :cry: :cry: :cry:
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

R Arun wrote:As usual DD ruined it yet again.

Agreed...................DD spend some money for upgrade....please.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

it seems most of the targets are missed.. from what I am hearing... now someone will post these on youtubes and trolls from Porkistan will start licking...
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

tushar_m wrote:
R Arun wrote:As usual DD ruined it yet again.

Agreed...................DD spend some money for upgrade....please.
DD needs to spend money to ensure that the program director for such events is not the same one who covers panel discussions on Lok Sabha TV. The irony is that the IAF guys were really ambitious this time projecting HUD and FLIR displays direct to the TV viewers (high time we buried some OPSEC bogies) - but between showing those, the aircraft, pilot photos, the target, and netas slumped in their chairs the poor DD guy in charge had a meltdown and it showed badly this time. Split screens, layered graphics etc. being too much for DD's abilities even in 2013 I guess.

Vayu Shakti TV coverage-wise was better with clean weapon delivery shots, even though the scope was nowhere as big as this time. And none of loud background music which was anything but. I suspect the music was the IAF's idea though :roll:

All in all paisa vasool :)
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

We should do away with Sarang... Display ... Drills etc. ... lots of overlap with what we have seen Aero India .... that can reduce the operation and logistics scope and give some breather to hapless DD folks
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Lots of targets were hit and blown up spectacularly
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Prithwiraj wrote:...and trolls from Porkistan will start licking...
I thought everyone on BR had access to the Brahmastra for Puki trolls in matters related to PAF's legendary skills in weapon employment
http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F ... file/1205/ :twisted:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Why the eff do you care what pakis think??
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Surya wrote:Why the eff do you care what pakis think??
I never cared.. I never participated in stupid flame war over you tube videos.... I just stated a fact...
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Another fact is that PAF is IAF's teeny tiny bitch.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

So much of money is spent on these exercise... only if we can spend a little more to capture these moments in a better camera.. just sheer callousness from DD
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

that I agree - but this is probably beyond DDs ability or even if they can they have basically grown training their cameras on politcians

this really needs the NG type talent
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Surya wrote:that I agree - but this is probably beyond DDs ability or even if they can they have basically grown training their cameras on politcians

this really needs the NG type talent

We have individuals with such talents like this folk... ... only if he can be invited...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Overall, the camerawork was better than 2011. I will eventually post clips but am hoping IAF posts the clips themselves. I lost the best daylight bombing bits - esp the SDRE LCA. But some of the other stuff is good. Unfair to curse DD without actually seeing even 1 minute. Just like blaming Hindu terrorists without seeing even one act of terrorism. They showed the whole show for 4 hours . I have about 3 and a half hours. I have not seen the whole thing because I set it on record and left and a power outage in the cable guy's place reset my recording software.

Some spectacular bits of C-130 doung really rough stril manding and 300 meter takeoff. Su 30s did not deliver much- citing tech reasons. Generally Jags, Mirages and SDRE LCA were bang on target, although DD sometimes missed the moment of impact as they spent too much time following the aircraft. Mig wer fine with rockets though some were off. I am really sorry to have lost a fantastic rnway denial attack by su 30s. The bombs went bang on target and exploded spectacularly after a suspenseful time delay. The rumors of too many misses were wrong. There were plenty of good hits including some by young pilots who have been in the IAF just for a year or so in Hawks.

Hari Nair put up an absolutely brilliant show in the LCH.No one managed to take such a good video of the LCH in Aero India. That machine is awesome.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

For those of you interested in the CAS capabilities of Hawk....
From 6:00
:D

Last edited by koti on 22 Feb 2013 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

shiv wrote:Overall, the camerawork was better than 2011. I will eventually post clips but am hoping IAF posts the clips themselves. I lost the best daylight bombing bits - esp the SDRE LCA. But some of the other stuff is good. Unfair to curse DD without actually seeing even 1 minute. Just like blaming Hindu terrorists without seeing even one act of terrorism. They showed the whole show for 4 hours . I have about 3 and a half hours. I have not seen the whole thing because I set it on record and left and a power outage in the cable guy's place reset my recording software.

Some spectacular bits of C-130 doung really rough stril manding and 300 meter takeoff. Su 30s did not deliver much- citing tech reasons. Generally Jags, Mirages and SDRE LCA were bang on target, although DD sometimes missed the moment of impact as they spent too much time following the aircraft. Mig wer fine with rockets though some were off. I am really sorry to have lost a fantastic rnway denial attack by su 30s. The bombs went bang on target and exploded spectacularly after a suspenseful time delay. The rumors of too many misses were wrong. There were plenty of good hits including some by young pilots who have been in the IAF just for a year or so in Hawks.

Hari Nair put up an absolutely brilliant show in the LCH.No one managed to take such a good video of the LCH in Aero India. That machine is awesome.
Thank you Shiv saar for giving a summary of the Iron Fist exercise. :)
But:
I lost the best daylight bombing bits - esp the SDRE LCA.
:shock: :evil: :( :eek: nooooooooooooooooooooo :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
:cry:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

One of the problems of this show is that these planes are chucking some really fearsome explosives - so the targets are kilometers away from the cameras. Very often LGBs etc are released out of sight and the camera person cannot know exactly when it will strike and they misjudge. Sometimes bobs and rockets are followed down but the camera guy does not know exactly when they will hit the ground so at the moment of impact the camera which has been panning down continues to pan down and then recovers and goes up to show that the target is already a cloud of dust and smoke. But there are some spectacular shots. kaboom! :D
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Does iaf have the fab5000 in stock....mki could cart it around but perhaps we do not use beyond the 1000kg bombs.

A stock of desi gbu28 for the mkis to attack deep caves and bunkers is called for. Septimus will say 5000 but even 500 will be useful :evil:
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

shiv wrote:One of the problems of this show is that these planes are chucking some really fearsome explosives - so the targets are kilometers away from the cameras. Very often LGBs etc are released out of sight and the camera person cannot know exactly when it will strike and they misjudge. Sometimes bobs and rockets are followed down but the camera guy does not know exactly when they will hit the ground so at the moment of impact the camera which has been panning down continues to pan down and then recovers and goes up to show that the target is already a cloud of dust and smoke. But there are some spectacular shots. kaboom! :D
Hmm..so Shiv saar can't we have 3 camera. One following the plane, one try to track the bomb trajectory and the third focused on the impact/target point. I am sure DD have this capability. :wink:
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

I watched the show over live stream .. but Celine Deon Song as background score was so 1990s... they should have at-least selected.. Alisha's "Made in India" if they really wanted 90s song...