Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Bomb explosion in Boston

Post by ramana »

Anmol please edit your post. Let the officials reveal more.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

and both are bandy legged
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

MIT - Thing looks serious, perpetrator (or perpetrators) is still at large.. lot of activity.. students still locked in strata center building .. etc..
Last edited by Amber G. on 19 Apr 2013 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Yeah, that's why I figure people should quit speculating and let the police do their work.

FWIW, here's the details about the two earlier guys that were suspected:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/run ... cts-875362
I think there's going to be rather large checks going out from the NY Post made out to a certain high school track coach and a high school student that works at Subway.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

ramana wrote:Anmol please edit your post. Let the officials reveal more.
deleted
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Amber G. wrote:MIT - Thing looks serious, perpetrator (or perpetrators) is still at large.. lot of activity.. students still locked in strata center building .. etc..
And officer who was shot have died. http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_ ... ley_Square
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I find this poisonous powder coincidence curious. After 9/11 there was this anthrax thing, after Boston blasts there's the ricin thing.. Can't be a coincidence.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Anmol - Yes the officer (actually mIT campus security oersin) died with multiple gun-shots.. Very unusual for MIT campus..lot of police, K9 unit etc..

Last update to students: 12:38 AM
Update on shooter situation. The shooter remains at large, police continue to search the campus. Please REMAIN INDOORS until further notice.

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:28 AM
Update on shooter situation. Responding agencies are actively investigating the situation, which remains very fluid at this time. Police continue to sweep the campus. Stay indoors and remain inside until further notice.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

JE Menon wrote:I find this poisonous powder coincidence curious. After 9/11 there was this anthrax thing, after Boston blasts there's the ricin thing.. Can't be a coincidence.
<CT>Playbook for making citizens give up their rights on a silver platter. Bush and his admin was master of this art.

Gun control debate and related legislative actions need an environment where people either understand, sympathize or even propagate the view of the current admin to somehow either nullify or dilute further the 2nd constitutional amendment - right to keep and bear arms </CT>
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Terrorist and the Bag :-
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Read this on forum listening to police scanner:-
'middle eastern' men just carjacked a Mercedes SUV in Cambridge, MA.
Two middle eastern guys heavily armed just carjacked a black mercedes SUV. They believe these may be the bombers per scanner. FBI all points bulletin.
Many have reported this on Reddit and Twitter.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^Very fluid situation..Info at http://emergency.mit.net/emergency/
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

@CalFireNews 4m

#Boston Watertown 2 Suspects I down in custody, 1 eyes on not in custody all units switch to channel #1 missing officer found.
@CalFireNews 3m

#Boston Watertown 2 Suspects I down in custody, 1 at gunpoint not in custody all units switch to channel #1 missing officer found
‏@CalFireNews 7m

#Boston REPEAT 1 SUSPECT IS NOT IN CUSTODY HAVE EYES ON - #FBI ON SCENE
@CalFireNews 9m

#Boston Suspect WM white pants, blue shirt #WaterTown all units power down cell phones now!
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Fox News is reporting this now.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sounds like a running mobile 26/11 kind of city war. police units are not really capable of this kind of fight per a SAS assessment in london post-26/11....it needs army units who train for this kind of thing.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

4chan is amazing. They have live threads, with running commentary as the situation is developing.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

link?
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Cant GD.. It will create problem as that site is always center of controversy.
Charlie
BRFite

Post by Charlie »

Cnn screengrab shows a White dude with blonde hair being arrested for the MIT incident.

anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

I think someone at FoxNews who is listening to Police Scanner said that they are using bomb disposal robot.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

asgkhan wrote:Cant GD.. It will create problem as that site is always center of controversy.
I try to avoid it for obvious reason, but is it /b/ ?
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

anmol wrote:
asgkhan wrote:Cant GD.. It will create problem as that site is always center of controversy.
I try to avoid it for obvious reason, but is it /b/ ?

Yeah, its /b/ alright..

One of the main threads has this information:
Shooting at MIT, 1 cop down. he's confirmed dead at hospital.

2 suspects, middle eastern, hijack a black SUV. drive around 30 minutes. The hijacked driver jumps out and escapes while the 2 suspects fill up on gas. They drive off.

Watertown: Shit goes down. Shooting, grenades (yes, reports of grenades), at least 2 separate times officers were reported down, and suddenly multiple (2 confirmed) explosive devices found. One of devices confirmed to be near a downed officer.

one suspect taken at gunpoint.

2 suspects taken.

The second suspect is not confirmed; the first one has. They believe the second guy they have is not the second suspect and that there is another suspect out there.

-all this on the police scanner
http://audio2.radioreference.com/446184308

The above link has the despatch details from the cops radios.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i watched video here http://www1.whdh.com/video/7newslive
one guy dead or just lying on the ground(pic posted above), in a jacket and track pants in a residential neighbourhood...no fight going on there. police with pistols drawn hovering nervously, none going near him.

since he is face down hard to make out what he looks like...the hairstyle is similar to the white baseball cap though.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Just a coincidence... but Times Square Bomber' cousin who was arrested, his apartment and place where the terrorists hung around was in Watertown... same place where they have caught these two suspects...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

1:56 AM - MIT website has just released the bulletin that the gunmen is nolonger in the are..
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

https://twitter.com/CalFireNews
@CalFireNews: #Bostown #Watertown #MITShooting Police clearing Spruce Street House By House..

@CalFireNews: #Bostown #Watertown #MITShooting Responding to another suspicious IED in trench...

@MVVeterans: @CalFireNews FYI RT @MichaelSkolnik police looking for bomb sniffing dogs for Beth Israel hospital.

@MVVeterans: @CalFireNews and hospital is now apparently on a code black =( WTH.
Code black = bomb threat.
Last edited by anmol on 19 Apr 2013 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

I think this is about the guy who was lying on the ground :-
@MVVeterans: RT @passantino WCVB reporter: Second suspect that was taken into custody tonight in Watertown, MA was released (cc @CalFireNews)
These guys are moving in :-

@MVVeterans: From @AKitz - bullet went thru wall and chair =( #mitshooting #mit #boston http://t.co/XtI2nxrNnN (cc @CalFireNews)
@CalFireNews: #Boston #Watertown #MITShooting 15 shots now fired near Mt Auburn, 14 Hazel is clear...
@CalFireNews: #Bostown #Watertown now 6 Gunshots at 48 Park Ave. #MITShooting
@MVVeterans: RT @Ranger_Up Police ask if the suspects have hand guns or long guns. Other officer replies "definitely long guns." (cc @CalFireNews)
Last edited by anmol on 19 Apr 2013 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

CNN is reporting that the person who was arrested was stripped n00d before being taken into custody. :twisted: Guess they aren't taking any chances in case the guy turns out to be a jacketmard.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/19/li ... ?hpt=hp_t1
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

From "bullet went thru wall and chair" tweet.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

@CalFireNews: Metro Editor at the Boston Globe is reporting that the suspect in custody is connected to Marathon Bombing, however this is unconfirmed.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

One suspect in custody, another remains on the loose

By Wesley Lowery, Akilah Johnson, Eric Moskowitz and Lisa Wangsness
| Globe Staff
April 19, 2013

WATERTOWN — One suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation. Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

A scene of chaos descended on Cambridge and Watertown late Thursday night and early Friday morning, as police confirmed an MIT police officer was shot and killed, and an apparent carjacking led police on a wild chase into Watertown.

Witnesses in Watertown said they heard explosions. Police officers were screaming about improvised explosive devices.

Authorities would not comment on whether the events were connected to Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings. At least one of the suspects in Watertown appeared to be a man in his 20s.

FBI agents were on the scene in Watertown.

“We are aware of the situation, we are being involved, and we are monitoring,” said an FBI representative who requested anonymity because of not being authorized to speak publicly. The FBI source said early Friday it is “too early to speculate” on a relation to the Marathon bombing.

Dozens of police officers descended on Watertown Square after midnight.

“This is still extremely dangerous,” an FBI agent said. The Cambridge bomb squad arrived in Watertown shortly after 1:30 a.m.

A man in handcuffs was being questioned by the FBI in the back of an ambulance.

At Arsenal Court and Arsenal Street in Watertown, an officer bellowed: “Ya gotta get outta here. There’s an active shooter here with an active explosive. Go!”

Peter Jennings, 33, said he was sleeping just before 1 a.m. in his home on Prentiss Street in Watertown when he was awakened by a huge boom.

“It sounded like a stick of dynamite went off,” he said. “I looked out the window, and it was like nothing I’ve ever seen – blue light after blue light after blue light.”

He said more than three dozen emergency vehicles with sirens blaring were heading down Rt. 16 West. He went to the end of his street, where some neighbors were gathering. The air, he said, smelled like “at the end of a fireworks show, like a wick smell.”

“I had a bad feeling because of what happened on Monday,” he said.

John Antonucci’s 79-year-old mother called him hysterical from her home in Laurel Street. She heard about five gun shots and didn’t know what to do.

“She was saying they’re running down the street shooting,” Antonucci said standing outside if yellow police tape. “She was crying so hard I couldn’t understand what she was talking about.”

So he told her: Stay inside the house.

Residents describe the neighborhood as safe and family oriented, where they leave open doors and windows and feed stray cats.

Standing on the corner of Quincy and Nichols as police officers hastily strung up caution tape, Lindsay Gaylord, 25, and Collin Ausfeld, 26, peered over the scene to get a glimpse of their apartment about a block away on Dartmouth Street.

“I was buying ice cream right there” -- Gaylord pointed to a structure a few steps away, behind the caution tape “just this afternoon.”

Ausfeld stared at the crime scene in front of him, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. As an afterthought, he muttered, “I hope the apartment doesn’t blow up.”

The couple said they moved to the neighborhood in January, leaving behind their Belmont place, because Watertown was closer to the city, and their block was quiet, safe, and friendly.

“After this, I still feel safe on this street,” Gaylord said. “I mean, you just never know with these things.”

Adam Healy, 31, said he stepped outside for a cigarette near one of the shooting scenes in Watertown, when he heard gunfire.

“I just heard tons of gunshots,” he said. “Gunshot, gunshot, gunshot, gunshot. Then I saw an explosion and saw a burst of light in the sky.”

Imran Saif, a cab driver, was parking his car for the night near Dexter and School streets and was preparing to bike home from Cambridge when he heard a series of loud noises that he said “sounded like fireworks.” He said he biked toward the sounds, thinking they fireworks, when people in nearby houses began waving him back, telling him it was gunfire.

“It just sounded like there was automatic weapons going off, and I heard a few explosions,” he said. “They sounded like fireworks, mostly, big fireworks going off -- tons, I’d say. I’m really scared. When I found out it was gunshots, that just knocked the wind out of me.”

Police were demanding that cellphones be turned off.

The MIT officer, who has not been identified, was shot multiple times at 10:48 p.m., according to the Middlesex district attorney’s office. No one else was hurt, and no ­arrests had been made by early Friday.

The manhunt fanned out from ­Kendall Square over an area that has endured a tragic and tumultuous week, in the aftermath of the fatal explosions at Monday’s Boston Marathon. There was no report of a connection between the two events, but the swarm of sirens and circling helicopters rattled a region already on edge.

Police from several agencies were conducting a manhunt for the gunman across the school campus and on the T’s Red Line, according to authorities.

MIT and Cambridge police responded to a report of shots fired at 10:48 p.m. Thursday near Main and Vassar streets, according to the university.

Police officers and canine units swept the campus, and a big swath of Vassar Street was blocked.

The university issued an alert to students and faculty to remain inside.

An eerie quiet descended on the campus as teams of ­police officers combed the campus block by block. SWAT teams were present.

Police checked bushes and alleys and yanked on doors.

Officers from the MIT and Harvard departments, as well as Cambridge and State Police, were present.

Siddhartha Varshney was walking home from dinner with two friends when they were stopped at the police cordon.

“Initially, we thought they had caught the suspect in the bombing,” the 28-year-old said. But they then learned it was a shooting involving an MIT officer.

“Well, I — honestly — I mean, I can’t think what I make of it. The situation is a little tense,” he said. “And I hope that whoever he is gets caught.”

Few seemed to be out on the campus at the time of the shooting. One professor, standing feet from the police tape, said he came out of his office when he heard a commotion of sirens and saw ­police lights.

At around midnight, a frantic scene was unfolding at Massachusetts General Hospital, where a dozen police cars arrived with sirens on and several women were brought in by police, looking deeply ­upset.
Marcella Bombardieri, ­Brian MacQuarrie, Martine Powers, Maria Sacchetti, and Milton J. Valencia of the Globe staff and correspondents Jeremy C. Fox, Haven Orecchio-Egresitz, Jaclyn Reiss, and Gal Tziperman Lotan contributed to this report.
Last edited by anmol on 19 Apr 2013 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Boston Globe is reporting that the bomber subject is in custody in watertown..these events are related...One suspect is in custody .. and these were involved in MIT shooting..
Last edited by Amber G. on 19 Apr 2013 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

New pics

anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

@BlogsofWar: RT @BuzzFeedAndrew RT @oliverdarcy: LOCAL WHDH REPORTER: Source says ONE SUSPECT IS DEAD
@CalFireNews: #Boston #Watertown #MITShooting Reports that first suspect is DOA
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Boston.com:
One suspect in Marathon bombing in custody
WATERTOWN — One suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation. Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

A scene of chaos descended on Cambridge and Watertown late Thursday night and early Friday morning, as police confirmed an MIT police officer was shot and killed, and an apparent carjacking led police on a wild chase into Watertown.

Witnesses in Watertown said they heard explosions. Police officers were screaming about improvised explosive devices.

Authorities would not comment on whether the events were connected to Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings. At least one of the suspects in Watertown appeared to be a man in his 20s.

FBI agents were on the scene in Watertown.

“We are aware of the situation, we are being involved, and we are monitoring,” said an FBI representative who requested anonymity because of not being authorized to speak publicly. The FBI source said early Friday it is “too early to speculate” on a relation to the Marathon bombing.

Dozens of police officers descended on Watertown Square after midnight.

“This is still extremely dangerous,” an FBI agent said. The Cambridge bomb squad arrived in Watertown shortly after 1:30 a.m.

A man in handcuffs was being questioned by the FBI in the back of an ambulance.

At Arsenal Court and Arsenal Street in Watertown, an officer bellowed: “Ya gotta get outta here. There’s an active shooter here with an active explosive. Go!”

Peter Jennings, 33, said he was sleeping just before 1 a.m. in his home on Prentiss Street in Watertown when he was awakened by a huge boom.

“It sounded like a stick of dynamite went off,” he said. “I looked out the window, and it was like nothing I’ve ever seen – blue light after blue light after blue light.”

He said more than three dozen emergency vehicles with sirens blaring were heading down Rt. 16 West. He went to the end of his street, where some neighbors were gathering. The air, he said, smelled like “at the end of a fireworks show, like a wick smell.”

“I had a bad feeling because of what happened on Monday,” he said.

John Antonucci’s 79-year-old mother called him hysterical from her home in Laurel Street. She heard about five gun shots and didn’t know what to do.

“She was saying they’re running down the street shooting,” Antonucci said standing outside if yellow police tape. “She was crying so hard I couldn’t understand what she was talking about.”

So he told her: Stay inside the house.

Residents describe the neighborhood as safe and family oriented, where they leave open doors and windows and feed stray cats.

Standing on the corner of Quincy and Nichols as police officers hastily strung up caution tape, Lindsay Gaylord, 25, and Collin Ausfeld, 26, peered over the scene to get a glimpse of their apartment about a block away on Dartmouth Street.

“I was buying ice cream right there”—Gaylord pointed to a structure a few steps away, behind the caution tape “just this afternoon.”

Ausfeld stared at the crime scene in front of him, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. As an afterthought, he muttered, “I hope the apartment doesn’t blow up.”

The couple said they moved to the neighborhood in January, leaving behind their Belmont place, because Watertown was closer to the city, and their block was quiet, safe, and friendly.

“After this, I still feel safe on this street,” Gaylord said. “I mean, you just never know with these things.”

Adam Healy, 31, said he stepped outside for a cigarette near one of the shooting scenes in Watertown, when he heard gunfire.

“I just heard tons of gunshots,” he said. “Gunshot, gunshot, gunshot, gunshot. Then I saw an explosion and saw a burst of light in the sky.”

Imran Saif, a cab driver, was parking his car for the night near Dexter and School streets and was preparing to bike home from Cambridge when he heard a series of loud noises that he said “sounded like fireworks.” He said he biked toward the sounds, thinking they fireworks, when people in nearby houses began waving him back, telling him it was gunfire.

“It just sounded like there was automatic weapons going off, and I heard a few explosions,” he said. “They sounded like fireworks, mostly, big fireworks going off—tons, I’d say. I’m really scared. When I found out it was gunshots, that just knocked the wind out of me.”

Police were demanding that cellphones be turned off.

The MIT officer, who has not been identified, was shot multiple times at 10:48 p.m., according to the Middlesex district attorney’s office. No one else was hurt, and no ­arrests had been made by early Friday
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

@CalFireNews: #Boston #Watertown #MITShooting suspect light skin white male grey hoodie, dark hair, w/ long rifle & explosives [DANGEROUS
Last edited by anmol on 19 Apr 2013 12:05, edited 2 times in total.
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

Shiv wrote:

CRamS. In India you will not hear people saying Muslim terror. In the US you hear people speaking of Muslim terror but not Christian terror. In Islamic countries you will hear of Christian, Jewish and Hindu terror

In other words Muslims and Christians have insulated their own religions from accusations of being origins of terror. On the other hand you find Christian nations and Islamic nation speak of Hindu terror. Hindus who speak of Hindu terror have bought into the argument that it is OK to speak of Hindu terror, but not of Muslim terror or Christian terror.

As a people Indians are mentally colonized. In my view, release from this mental colonization is not merely to stop self flagellation and blame Pakis. But the US also needs to be blamed, The US is killing Muslims left right and center. We may be happy to see those Muslims get blown up but it is still necessary to call out the US as a murderous genocidal nation whose example is not a good one to follow. It is when the US is held up as an example to follow for India that I disagree. The US, as you have pointed out is a perfectly bigoted and murderous nation. Of course many Indians may have personally benefited from the US. But many have personally benefited form the gulf countries too.

If you look at the way Islamic nations have had their backsides ripped open by the US. Islamic action against the US is good and we must equip ourselves with chai biskoot when Christians and Muslims slug it out. We need not support one against the other since neither supports us. Why support the US? The US deserves every bit of a kicking it gets from the Muslims that the Christian US hates.

Even we on BRF are biased. We celebrate US actions against Muslim nations and mourn when the US takes a hit. Why single out and blame Indian policymakers? That MMS cartoon in Hindi applies to all of us as Indians.

Finally someone with the sense and courage to say it. I was thinking more or less the same last Tuesday, but I did not dare post it. Why on earth should Indians care if the US gets hit by Muslim or right wing Christian terrorists when Americans and Europeans don't care about, or even justify Islamic terrorism against India. The only reason I am sorry about this attack is because of the poor planning/choice of target. Those guys should have targeted a more densely crowded event with more powerful explosives. They are clearly amateurs.

The US and west European countries have committed so many crimes against Islamic countries and turd world countries that they fully deserve to be hit by Muslim and other terrorists.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Now the pix are clearer, these dudes could be Levantine origin (Lebanon, Syria, Anatolian - could be Pashtun, but unlikely IMHO). We'll see in due course no doubt.
Charlie
BRFite

Post by Charlie »

ArmenT wrote:CNN is reporting that the person who was arrested was stripped n00d before being taken into custody. :twisted: Guess they aren't taking any chances in case the guy turns out to be a jacketmard.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/19/li ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Cnn now says that the stripped down suspect is a white male and the second man arrested "looks like" a middle eastern man but not confirmed yet.