Indian Naval Discussion

member_26965
BRFite

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by member_26965 »

It is called catapult officer? Can you please ask him if there was a position called Catapult master. IMS Vikrant had this funny mannequin sticking out of the floor and there was glass cover. I suppose he used to keep watch if the catapult system was properly attached. :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

All carriers have that glass covered housing with a couple of people looking out....per my viewing of cvn on tv.
member_26622
BRFite

Post by member_26622 »

Austin wrote:You need local industry and industrial strength to build up something even if you sucessfully spy or.....
A little bit of history helps. Look at how the russians transformed themselves through world war 2. They copied American, British and captured German tech initially and then leapfrogged to build their own designs.

I would not discount the Chinese approach. They are following a proven approach. Copy shamelessly and then out innovate to jump ahead.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

ranji wrote:It is called catapult officer? Can you please ask him if there was a position called Catapult master. IMS Vikrant had this funny mannequin sticking out of the floor and there was glass cover. I suppose he used to keep watch if the catapult system was properly attached. :)
The Catapult Officer was from the Technical branch and responsible for all aspects of Catapult Operation, equipment et al, besides just watching it being attached to an a/c. A catapult master would be a JCO/NCO who would oversee the launch. They would ensure that the pressure was correct, the attachment proper and co-ordinate with the pilot so as to flag the a/c off for a leap into the sky! Remember, the analogy of a steam catapult launch is akin to your reloading your airgun after firing off the bullet.
member_26965
BRFite

Post by member_26965 »

At 3.40 mins, you can see the glass enclosure http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BDU#t=220s

Thanks rajanb
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Tx Abhishek for posting that tribute to a truly great naval hero.A relative of mine was his close friend and colleague from midshipman days.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

VADM M.K. Roy wrote an awesome article in US Naval Inst Proceedings.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

New oiler Pradayak inducted into Navy

https://www.facebook.com/events/119744968233827/
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

What kind of a paint job is that? :roll: :eek:

maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Yes, that is an atrocious paint job. Clearly, this was not a priority.

Of interest is the gray color for auxiliaries. This is new. Aux ships were hitherto black hulled with yellow superstructures or black hulled with white superstructure.
member_26965
BRFite

Post by member_26965 »

it was built and delivered in 7 months as per the facebook link :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

seems to have back end of a tug, front end of a LST and hold of a tanker..not a aditya or jyoti deep sea fast tanker..more like a harbour tanker it seems.
aditya_d
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aditya_d »

Auxiliary vessel Pradayak joins Navy
The barge, built by Shalimar Works Ltd, Howrah, was delivered in seven months. Rear Admiral Madhusudanan hoped that he vessel would enable faster turnaround of ships at NSRY, Kochi.

Pradayak is part of the fleet of auxiliaries with NSRY, Kochi, and is capable of carrying 400 tonnes of fuel, 100 tonnes of aviation fuel as well as 50 tonnes of provision or fresh water.

Equipped with essential modern navigational and communication gear, the ship had its maiden voyage from Kolkata to Kochi, covering 2,750 km. Three more auxiliaries — a tug, a ferry craft and a fuel barge — are also slated to be part of the inventory of NSRY, Kochi, which is on a large-scale expansion to transform into a full-scale Naval dockyard.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

So we have developed another builder for navy in kolkata ..
joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

Superb Video on the Mig-29K
member_26965
BRFite

Post by member_26965 »

It appears people have understood that they can contribute to certain technologies in future as India plans 'Make India - Buy India.'

Willing to share torpedo technologies with India - Atlas Elektronik India CEO

http://frontierindia.net/willing-to-sha ... -india-ceo

Note: P-75 I is 1st 6 of 24 subs to be made in future.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Scorpene cost is now said to be 30,000 cr.Twice the initial cost and the first sub will arrive only by 2017.In retrospect,this is one of the worst deals that we have entered into.6 subs for almost a $ billion,that too without AIP.Ye Gods!
member_26622
BRFite

Post by member_26622 »

We sure are getting 'frenched'
M2000 upgrade was as much as buying new
Scorpene sub costing a billion, likely to be upgraded as soon as the last one rolls out in 15 years
And we want the RAFALE????
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

You mean "French fried" ?!

Now we need more of this! This is a very potent flotilla visiting Vietnam.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page ... -nang.aspx
Indian naval ships dock in Vietnam port
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 03:00:00
Two Vietnamese tug boats lead the Indian Navy's guided missile destroyer INS Ranvijay into Tien Sa Port in Da Nang June 4

Four Indian naval ships docked at Tien Sa Port in the central city of Da Nang Tuesday morning for a four-day friendly visit.

The fleet comprises guided missile frigate INS Satpura, fleet tanker INS Shakti, destroyer INS Ranvijay ,and corvette INS Kirch (P62) with a total of 1,200 offices and sailors on board.

The Indians will hold a search and rescue exercise with Vietnam's 3rd Regional Command.

The visitors will also meet with their counterparts in the 3rd Regional Command.

Music bands from the Indian Navy and an art troupe from Vietnam Military Zone 5 will play for the guests and invitees on board one of the Indian vessels Thursday.

On January 1 this year sail training ship INS Sudarshini with six officers and 70 sailors visited Da Nang for three days to mark the 40th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations between Vietnam and India.
PS:Speaking of subs,Spain's infamous sinking S-80 Scorpenes have a fatal weight problem because,wait for it..........."someone apparently put a decimal point in the wrong place."

“It was a fatal mistake,” said Rafael Bardaji, who until recently was director of the Office of Strategic Assessment at Spain’s Defence Ministry.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Spanish ... z2VQYhqFHL
Last edited by Philip on 06 Jun 2013 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Philip wrote:You mean "French fried" ?!

Now we need more of this! This is a very potent flotilla visiting Vietnam.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page ... -nang.aspx
Indian naval ships dock in Vietnam port
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 03:00:00
Two Vietnamese tug boats lead the Indian Navy's guided missile destroyer INS Ranvijay into Tien Sa Port in Da Nang June 4

Four Indian naval ships docked at Tien Sa Port in the central city of Da Nang Tuesday morning for a four-day friendly visit.

The fleet comprises guided missile frigate INS Satpura, fleet tanker INS Shakti, destroyer INS Ranvijay ,and corvette INS Kirch (P62) with a total of 1,200 offices and sailors on board.

The Indians will hold a search and rescue exercise with Vietnam's 3rd Regional Command.

The visitors will also meet with their counterparts in the 3rd Regional Command.

Music bands from the Indian Navy and an art troupe from Vietnam Military Zone 5 will play for the guests and invitees on board one of the Indian vessels Thursday.

On January 1 this year sail training ship INS Sudarshini with six officers and 70 sailors visited Da Nang for three days to mark the 40th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations between Vietnam and India.
May we live in interesting times.

Vietnamese gallery for the above. Enjoiss.

Da Nang mein danka.
bmallick
BRFite

Post by bmallick »

Vasu wrote:May we live in interesting times.

Vietnamese gallery for the above. Enjoiss.

Da Nang mein danka.
The distance between Da Nang and Sanya Base of PLAN is 280 kms as the crow flies, followed by the mighty Brahmos. :-)
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

You don't say BM! How prescient of you,and we know that "wink,wink,nudge,nudge",Brahmos has "extra stamina" what? If we are able to rotate our far east flotillas,just as the RN "Armilla patrols" and French rotate theirs in the IOR/Gulf,we would be able to keep an eye on the activities of the "sea-dragon" and "let go" when desired.
bmallick
BRFite

Post by bmallick »

Philip wrote:You don't say BM! How prescient of you,and we know that "wink,wink,nudge,nudge",Brahmos has "extra stamina" what? If we are able to rotate our far east flotillas,just as the RN "Armilla patrols" and French rotate theirs in the IOR/Gulf,we would be able to keep an eye on the activities of the "sea-dragon" and "let go" when desired.
Philip saar, so magnanimous of you to acknowledge my providence in these matters. I am truly humbled by your witty hint of sarcasm. It is gracious enough that I am allowed to read posts by the stalwarts, like you, how dare I make a fatuous utterance in such an exalted space. I am an imbecile, please accept my due apologies.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Can anyone please identify the white radomes on the left? Is this related to D55 Ranvijay's BrahMos upgrade?

maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Those ought to be SATCOM terminals. The big one is possibly from Orbit. The smaller may be a Skanti. Part of the Rukmani satcom program for all fleet ships.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

GRSE) inaugurates its “Integrated Shipbuilding Facility” (ISF) on 06 June 2013.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1379410302271045/
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Indian Navy's brand new MiG-29 Simulator Facility
http://youtu.be/LBuElt4S-kc
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

titash wrote:Can anyone please identify the white radomes on the left? Is this related to D55 Ranvijay's BrahMos upgrade?

Looks like INS Ranvijay also has Barak SAM launchers.
K
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Kersi Saab,

I believe D54 Ranvir and D55 Ranvijay got the following upgrades at the same time:

(1) 1x 8-cell BrahMos VLS replacing the aft SA-N-1 Goa launcher and magazine
(2) 4x 8-cell Barak VLS + 2x ELTA EL/M-2221 directors replacing 2x AK-630 gatling guns
(3) ELTA EL/M-2238 STAR radar replacing Head Net-C on the main mast
(4) LW-08 replacing Big Net-A on the mizzen mast

The others that I am starting to notice on these pics are:
(1) SATCOM capability to enable network-centric warfare
(2) An updated EW system - need to identify; it isn't the same as the Shivaliks

Are there any other internal / non-observable upgrades that have been done? An IPMS, CAAIS, etc.???
member_26622
BRFite

Post by member_26622 »

What do we do with the retired weapons system? Would be nice if we install them on the Targets used to test Brahmos and other missiles in inventory...hinting on one on the P8I harpoons.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Looks like D55 Ranvijay has actually been through several piecemeal upgrades in the last few years...here are 4 pics showing the transition in recent times:

This one shows the Barak-1 & 'EL/M-2238 STAR' installed. The air search radar is still the older 'Big Net-A' and the aft SA-N-1 is still there, hence no BrahMos

These 2 pics shows the 'LW-08' replacing the 'Big Net-A'. The aft SA-N-1 is gone, hence the BrahMos is installed along with a Skanti SATCOM

This one is the most recent pic with the Orbit SATCOM installed

Can anyone help understand why we still keep the fore SA-N-1 Goa if the missile is obsolete? Perhaps it's still effective against helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft

Thanks,
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Yes, they have undergone changes to the Combat Management system (CMS), fire control systems and u/w sensors. D54 & D55 have the WESEE developed, BEL built CAIO-SNF as well as IAC Mod C (or Mod O) ASW fire control system. The EW system very likely includes a SEWS V5. They may also have Humsa or Humsa-NG sonars. Then there's a Bahmos fire control system too. I imagine that Ru origin generators have been replaced too. These ships are certainly very interesting. There has been lots of work done by Indian companies so its very encouraging to see this.

The Volna (Goa) missiles must have been upgraded and remains operationally relevant which is why it is still in service. I imagine that the P-21/22 launchers are there to use up stocks of these missiles for target practice purposes.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Maz,

Thanks for the response. It seems like there's a lot of tribal knowledge out there that could be consolidated and added to the BR navy pages, specially a section on sensors, weapons, CMS, and EW systems.

I'm interested in volunteering to maintain webpage updates - in a month or two's time perhaps. I'm recovering from a car accident now :-)

Thanks,
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

BM,truly,no sarcasm was meant! I truly didn't realise that Sanya was that close,within BMos range and was delighted at the info.It puts a completely new perspective to an Indian presence in Vietnamese waters and being able to operate out of Vietnamese ports. Just imagine the future when we have our BMos equipped subs lurking in the Indo-China Sea operating out of Viet ports/bases! The "Leaky" fleet will be in "shiver me timbers" state!
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

titash wrote: Can anyone help understand why we still keep the fore SA-N-1 Goa if the missile is obsolete? Perhaps it's still effective against helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft

Thanks,
SA-N-1: Area Defence

Barak: Point Defence
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

RajitO wrote:
titash wrote: Can anyone help understand why we still keep the fore SA-N-1 Goa if the missile is obsolete? Perhaps it's still effective against helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft

Thanks,
SA-N-1: Area Defence

Barak: Point Defence
We do not have any choice for replacing Sa-N-1 ill maybe Barak 8 joins the party.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

maz wrote:Yes, they have undergone changes to the Combat Management system (CMS), fire control systems and u/w sensors. D54 & D55 have the WESEE developed, BEL built CAIO-SNF as well as IAC Mod C (or Mod O) ASW fire control system. The EW system very likely includes a SEWS V5. They may also have Humsa or Humsa-NG sonars. Then there's a Bahmos fire control system too. I imagine that Ru origin generators have been replaced too. These ships are certainly very interesting. There has been lots of work done by Indian companies so its very encouraging to see this.

The Volna (Goa) missiles must have been upgraded and remains operationally relevant which is why it is still in service. I imagine that the P-21/22 launchers are there to use up stocks of these missiles for target practice purposes.
Can we use the area say north west of Mumbai / west of Jamnagar for target practise ?? I am sure we can find some "targets". We can always say sorry afterwards !!!!!
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

titash wrote:Maz,

Thanks for the response. It seems like there's a lot of tribal knowledge out there that could be consolidated and added to the BR navy pages, specially a section on sensors, weapons, CMS, and EW systems.

I'm interested in volunteering to maintain webpage updates - in a month or two's time perhaps. I'm recovering from a car accident now :-)

Thanks,
I, along with other lazy BR members would be too glad. I think almost each vessel of the 'Rajput' class ships are slightly different, so it will be a big exercise.