Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Post by Pratyush »

Meanwhile back in the spin city, we are seeing

Vajpayee, Advani, Modi: Every leader has given Hindutva a twist
From Vajpayee to Advani to Modi –the Sangh Parivar has indeed come a long way, presenting before India every few years a Hindutva face rendered presentable through a shrewd makeover. Its success not only confounds the secular camp, but also underlines its failing ability to wage the ideological battle for defining the very idea of India.
The writer fails to understand that the secular camp is failing because it is based on falls assumptions of it confused flag bearers. Who believe that minority appeasement is = secularism.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Pratyush wrote:Reading this forum. Some times I fear that we are pinning all our hopes on one man.
+ 1001. BJP should have a strong second rung leadership. It is actually pretty much naive to leave all hopes on one man/woman. As some one else mentioned INC etc. have a long line of leaders waiting to "serve the nation" :).
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Even BJP's fourth rung of leaders is probably better than the INC second rung on any meritocratic basis.

The problem is more that there exists a vast section of rural population and minorities in India that still relies on the known surname and "dimpled cheek, rosy lips" approach to voting - that is when they are not voting based on caste.
Last edited by Arjun on 17 Jun 2013 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Take a look at the AICC wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_India_ ... _Committee

the first 4 names are the most important. Out of which the first two have no direct executive, administrative experience. So who does the day-to-day running of the show. It is 3 & 4. One is a strategist and the other a tactician who gets down & dirty and handles the nitty gritty.

Motilal Vora, for a man of his experience in politics sure does fly below the radar. He has seen more than anyone else in the current setup. What do people know about him ?
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Nitish Kumar is behaving like Arvind Kejriwal. When Obliteration is certain, intellect is the first casualty.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

BJP does have a strong second rung leadership, what it doesnt have is "mass" leaders. In terms of efficiency, fiscal prudence and clean image NTR was about as worse as it could get but he was the numero uno "mass" leader. Working quietly with him were the behind-the-scenes folks, a honest one or two, who would have made things work on ground no matter how bad the rationale to do them would have been.

Indian politics like the movies is all about mass, punch dialogues, sister/mother/minority sentiment, charishma and last but not least money power. Good story and art be shot with a gun, just like accountability, vision and capability are in politics. Minority and caste appeasement gradually became politically correct and acceptable just like masala movies bring in the crowds these days.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

I don't know how realistic or sensible it is, but I wonder how it would be like to see the BJP declare the complete leadership for the 2014 GE in NaMo as PM, Shivraj Singh Chauhan, Manohar Parrikar and Raman Singh as either HM/FM/RM with Arun Shourie, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley also getting into the cabinet for other posts. That's the kind of line up that will send shivers down the spine of INC combine.

BJP, in my opinion, should define the progression criteria as State CM/HM for 5/10 years => Centre

This will ensure a steady stream of state leaders with mass appeal and also ensure that the baton in the states is also passed on to younger leaders, grooming them for the future central role. Retirement should be fixed at 70 years of age.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Sachin Saar, why this presumption that BJP does not have second rung leaders? If you count, BJP easily has 100 leaders that have mass appeal. The focus maybe on Modi, because he is the General for 2014, it does not mean there are no other Maharathis.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Sanku wrote:Nitish is desperately trying to play victim, however he says this
Advani basically seems to have told NiKu to get lost.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

Exposing leaders too early is fraught with danger (especially for BJP which is considered close to RSS). If NM was exposed too early he would have been marginalized in various different ways, look at what happened to PM. Also, becoming a public face means that individual cannot perform certain functions after that. Becoming a public face too early is invitation to INC state apparatus (it does not matter who is in power at center, the apparatus is hard wired to work in a certain manner and against certain types of individuals). It is in this milieu that BJP/RSS has grown, they are ready to be slow than be sorry. People can call this CT, but most effective individuals need to be protected until the time is right.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

congi's are more than willing to atleast in public to accept the prince who has 0 exp to be come PM and here are people like LKA who doesnt want a most successful CM to be one
muraliravi
BRF Oldie

Post by muraliravi »

From Sunday Guardian: http://www.sunday-guardian.com/buzzword

Daughter provoked Advani’s resignation

It was daughter Pratibha who insisted that BJP patriarch L.K. Advani should resign from the top organisations of the party. Advani himself was in two minds, but Pratibha's determination carried the day; she drafted the resignation letter. Advani's long time associate Deepak Chopra carried the letter to Rajnath Singh. The BJP leadership's first reaction was stunned silence; only Arun Jaitley was of the view that the resignation should be accepted. But those in favour of mollifying Advani vastly outnumbered the hardliners.

I am surprised others did not support AJ. They should have kicked this guy last week itself.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^ Agreed. Exposing the singularly spectacular hope for the nation prematurely to the nasty dynasty and its extractive, rent-seeking neocolonial apparatus is fraught with terrible dangers.

But time is running out. NM had to be brought out to face the hurricane - no facades would do this time.

Can only hope and pray that the checks and balances (such as they are) in the system prevent any assasination kinda attempts. onlee.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Would be happy to see Rahul Gandhi step into my shoes: PM Manmohan Singh

Reported by Sunil Prabhu, Edited by Prasad Sanyal | Updated: June 17, 2013 19:00 IST

New Delhi: The Prime Minister said after a cabinet reshuffle today that he expects his coalition government to be re-elected for a third consecutive term. "We will have a third go as the UPA and the people will again repose their faith in us," Dr Manmohan Singh said.

He described Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi is "a natural leader and said, "I would be happy to see him step into my shoes."

National elections are due by May. There has been speculation about whether Mr Gandhi, 42, who was formally appointed as the Congress's second-most senior leader after his mother, Sonia Gandhi, will agree to be his party's presumptive prime minister.

Mr Gandhi has told Congress leaders that his focus is on revamping the party, but there has been no clear indication of his plans. On the other hand, a few months ago, the Prime Minister had indicated that he is open to serving a third term.

Eight ministers were sworn into the cabinet today, seen as the last reshuffle before parliamentary elections.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/would ... eststories
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Remote Mindset

The Congress continues to spin the news in favour of the Gandhis, but why do TV networks let it?

BY Sandeep Bhushan EMAIL AUTHOR(S)

SPIN-CYCLE The broadcast media regurgitates what the Congress dishes out
It was in 2005 that I had my first brush with the dangers that confront every beat journalist covering the Congress party. An electoral verdict that year had given the NDA the numbers in the Jharkhand Assembly. Yet, Sonia Gandhi’s handpicked Governor Syed Sibte Razi had invited the Congress-backed Shibu Soren to form the state government and given him nearly 20 days to prove his majority—which was enough time to cobble together a government by means both fair and foul.

Razi’s constitutional impropriety came in for withering criticism from both the opposition and media, with even the Supreme Court stepping in to advance the date for the confidence vote. But just as criticism mounted, word went around that Sonia Gandhi was ‘unhappy’ with the Jharkhand Governor (the ‘unhappy’ High Command later shifted him to Assam, where he was subsequently fired after the CBI booked his Jharkhand staff for corruption). But this new ‘angle’ had passed me by, though most of my other reporter colleagues had already changed track. Just as I was gearing up for another ‘live’ report from in front of Mrs Gandhi’s residence, my boss literally stood before me and ordered me to spin the story around ‘Sonia is unhappy’ as a theme. I was left with little choice. Sonia had not issued a statement. Yet the story had irrevocably changed. The next morning, even the print media was full of the same spin.

I realised what I should have known earlier: for the beat reporter, it is simply not possible to exercise independent judgement while covering such events. The person on the ground does not shape the news, at least not in the TV broadcast media.

Stories impacting Sonia’s image are carefully choreographed right at the top, at the level of promoters and editors who are on first-name terms with key Congress functionaries such as Ahmed Patel. But Patel, the consummate spin doctor, also has a line with beat reporters; they need each other in the demanding 24x7 news cycle where a single ‘untutored’ line could damage the Congress President’s image. It is a tradeoff that works well for both. While the lowly reporter can impress his bosses by claiming he has knowledge of closely-held developments, Patel gets to ensure that Sonia’s image remains unsullied.

And if you work for a friendly channel and scrupulously adhere to the rules of the game, he could spring a surprise or two by gracing your marriage celebrations—not alone but with Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi. Recently, to the utter surprise of journalist colleagues, both made an appearance at the marriage celebrations of a ‘lowly’ Congress beat reporter, whose stock was sent soaring among his network bosses.

It has also assured him plum reporting options, including (maybe) a trip with the PM on his next foreign visit. When it comes to reporting on the Gandhis, this is precisely how much of the electronic media functions.

At the prominent TV network where I worked covering the Congress party, there was a whole army of ‘Congress reporters’. Some reported in the mornings and afternoons (‘downtime’), while others only reported in the evenings (‘primetime’).

‘Insignificant’ low-impact reporters like this writer were simply prised out of the field without any notice, especially if a ‘big’ story had to be covered. But this was not all. There were those who were handpicked to report Congress Working Committee meetings and special occasions like an All India Congress Committee (AICC) session. I was not sent to cover the Hyderabad AICC session in January 2006 despite Congress being my ‘prime’ beat. I was given no reason; only a mail arrived from my editor by way of information to the bureau.

Finally, there were those who filed field reports from Amethi and Rae Bareilly with some of the stories even finding their way onto the Congress website. I covered the party for over a year, but was never allowed to report from either of the constituencies. Once again, I was given no reason for this.

Eventually, I was shifted off that beat. A mail arrived one fine day saying that my beat had been changed. The chief of bureau, who I have no reason to doubt, later told me that she really fought hard to retain me as a Congress reporter. But the editors would not listen, and she was given no reason for the switch. If they had said I was incompetent, it would have been another matter, but they did not.

Nothing has changed over the years, my friends and colleagues on that beat tell me. At the end of the day, if there was no ‘Ahmedbhai’, the Congress would have to invent him, if only to spin doctor the ‘news’. That’s because the party’s first family is an anachronism in the age of modern media. The Gandhis remain remote and inaccessible.

+++

The author is a former TV journalist who now teaches at Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... te-mindset
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

SwamyG wrote:
Sanku wrote:Nitish is desperately trying to play victim, however he says this

Advani basically seems to have told NiKu to get lost.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

So the ONLY piece of real information, apart from the usual droppings from the nether sources some seek to go mad about, elicits a :rotfl:

People should pull their heads out of the source of all such material and look at the bright shining light.
:)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The best strategy for BJP is to entertain a policy driven architecture, and whoever and whichever party would like to be with this, then the said party gets coupled.. They have to think ahead, when they can't do this all alone.. we are way too divided for a unified approach to beat kangrez corruptions.

the policies should speak loud.. with detailed plan of implementation with purpose. once agreed, it becomes a contractual obligation of the parties for policy driven voting approach to follow up later on. And aam can free its mind, from selecting the best party which will support poicies rather focus on what policies that matters them most, and vote for them.

policy voting is ideal for advancement.. the executors of the policy, and voting for that can be separated out., and it does not really matter if amma or modi executes the policies and the best performer would be actually chosen.

change.. can anyone thinking about moving to policy driven democracy?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

muraliravi wrote:From Sunday Guardian: http://www.sunday-guardian.com/buzzword

It was daughter Pratibha who insisted that BJP patriarch L.K. Advani should resign from the top organisations of the party. Advani himself was in two minds, but Pratibha's determination carried the day; she drafted the resignation letter. Advani's long time associate Deepak Chopra carried the letter to Rajnath Singh. The BJP leadership's first reaction was stunned silence; only Arun Jaitley was of the view that the resignation should be accepted. But those in favour of mollifying Advani vastly outnumbered the hardliners.

I am surprised others did not support AJ. They should have kicked this guy last week itself.

Interesting that the tallest leaders' resignation drama is authored by his children. How can the party and the country be sure of his leadership in a crisis?
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

ramana wrote:
muraliravi wrote:From Sunday Guardian: http://www.sunday-guardian.com/buzzword

Interesting that the tallest leaders' resignation drama is authored by his children. How can the party and the country be sure of his leadership in a crisis?
We can expect a Russia of Yeltsin era.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

^^^

Why believe the "sources"? There is little on the ground to suggest that mud flinging exercise is not orchestrated by media. Of the few things that have been said by the people concerned including Nitish do not bear it out?

This is no different from NaMo killed 2000000000000000000000 unborn fetus with his naked hands types of news.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

fanne wrote:Sachin Saar, why this presumption that BJP does not have second rung leaders? If you count, BJP easily has 100 leaders that have mass appeal. The focus maybe on Modi, because he is the General for 2014, it does not mean there are no other Maharathis.
A serious question, can you name 5 or 6 of them; who has appeal in more than 2-3 states? I see Indian politics as individual based...all regional parties survive because of one or two charismatic/goonda leaders. Fortunately for them another springs up in the nick of time. Like JJ for MGR, Mayavati for Kanshi Ram, CBN for NTR etc etc. It is like the history of dynasty (except Mughals and INC), at most 3 Kings keep the dynasty alive and healthy. Maybe a 4th here and there.

So if Advani was #1, and Modi is #2, it would be nice to have #3....but maybe when the time comes - a #3 will jump up. For now it is #2's time....so no point in looking at #3, #4 ityadi.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

But for LKA that is true. I have alluded that in many of my posts before here at BR. It is the sad truth. Probably CT and blackmail does not come at LKA level but maybe at PA or SK level.
thanks
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

SwamyG are you preparing a hit list?
Seriously if you do not know 5 other leaders of BJP, then probably me telling you will not add much.
Thanks,
fanne
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Theo:
1. It is nobody's business what BJP decides to do within its own party, except for BJP cadres/leaders. NDA can voice its concerns sure, and if the time comes to pick a NDA candidate - I am sure all parties will drop their candidates into the ring. If BJP projects Modi as its candidate then it is its business/loss.

2. The article that you pointed out where NK whines about a leader bulldozing BJP ityadi is crocodile tears. Indian politics is primarily not system based, it is not collective-leadership based. It runs on the individuals. You know about DMK and AIADMK. Even if you look at TDP, it boils down to something similar. BJP and INC both rely on charismatic casteist leaders at state levels. And INC runs primarily on Nehru-Gandhi dynasty name fame shame onlee. Only the communist parties seem to have escaped that mold, but they are into goondagardi just like others. Earlier it was Advani as the face of BJP, now it is Modi. Nothing has really changed. So all the whine/rant of NK is just that.

3. He talks about the lack of ideology and running behind one leader. Seriously? :rotfl: He talks about bullying by some supporters. That is true, but those are the supporters. That holds good for all parties. Modi's supporters have been effective on the Internet/social media. But then, Modi has inspired by the vision and ideas. He does not espouse Hindutva, but secular politics. He talks about development and there are numbers. Granted, being a politician, he takes some undeserved credit. But there are numerous reasons why he deserves credit. Why snatch them away? Did you read the numbers regarding sanitation and girl students....you were concerned about women in India. Isn't that a good reason to cheer?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Fanne: That joke is not good. It is in poor taste.

I do no know 5 other leaders, it is not about your me knowing. It is about how a common man views/knows them.
member_23658
BRFite

Post by member_23658 »

Sharad Yadav : Will consider return to NDA if Advani is at the helm
http://www.rediff.com/news/report/will- ... 130617.htm

This is getting curiouser and curioser... to quote Alice in wonderland. The secular flag holders prefer the architect of ram janmabhumi to lead them
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

LKA claimed quite a few times of being oblivous to the plans for the Masjid structure demolition.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

swamy-gin, no large org can politically sustain with a strict CnC mechanism in desh. besides, that kind of chain and command structure is detrimental to find new talents, as they would go wtf! i have to climb so much up!

distributed power structure, with zonal ping federation to center single sign on is ideal... at least block, filter, and pipe the right decisions for the country is made with everyone known... fundamental needs for democracy... least info hiding
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

Perhaps the failure of the Bihar government to check the rise of Indian Mujahideen modules in the state is the root cause of this alliance breakup? Perhaps IM modules in Bihar have been responsible for recent terror attacks (Varanasi, Dilsukhnagar-Hyderabad etc) and Nitish Kumar is scared of being hit with a new round of "NDA-sponsored yindoo terror" by the INC led brigade, with NIA evidence in tow.

Theo-Fidel is partially right with his "resign or else threat" post, only caveat being that the threat would have been issued by the Gangetic Valley Islamist machine.
Last edited by Klaus on 17 Jun 2013 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

If Advani is wearing soosai belt Kulkarni fellow is the RDX in that belt.
Why the BJP needs Advani more than ever
Sudheendra Kulkarni

the shock treatment that Advani administered to the BJP has simply no parallel in India’s modern political history.

http://www.rediff.com/news/column/why-t ... 130617.htm
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

This prudent Indian guy has history of being 100% correct.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

regarding advani: bjp can't afford to say a word back at him.
and for advani, the more he talks incoherently, the more he fires himself on his foot.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Sushupti wrote:If Advani is wearing soosai belt Kulkarni fellow is the RDX in that belt.
I quite agree....that is some serious bilge from Sudhindra Kulkarni.

Both Sudhindra Kulkarni and Advani need to be completely sidelined from the BJP. Even better would be to sack both at the earliest...
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Sanku wrote:^^^

Why believe the "sources"? There is little on the ground to suggest that mud flinging exercise is not orchestrated by media. Of the few things that have been said by the people concerned including Nitish do not bear it out?

This is no different from NaMo killed 2000000000000000000000 unborn fetus with his naked hands types of news.
That is a bad comparision. Regarding LKA stuff some are media hit jobs and lot are via videos of his own making. Blaming everything on media is like blaming every terror attack on ISI and discounting SIMI and IM. LKA currently is indefedable and I would have continously beleived your line at least as a point to consider. However, irrespective of motivations, LKA's recent resignation stuff puts everything to rest. He is a motivated nutcase.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Arjun wrote:
Sushupti wrote:If Advani is wearing soosai belt Kulkarni fellow is the RDX in that belt.

Both Sudhindra Kulkarni and Advani need to be completely sidelined from the BJP. Even better would be to sack both at the earliest...

As predicted above something is expected by Friday.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Arjun wrote:

S Kulkarani has been out of BJP for quite some time, the first time there was open variance in his views and that of Advani was during 123, at which time, the same lot of forumites running down Advani for not being effective enough were supporting Man mohan despite clear evidence of perfidy and not supporting BJP for its stand.

And in democracy you can not only blame the political system/parties, everyone who thought that 123 was grand and Man mohan was leading India forward did their bit in making sure UPA II happened (which in retrospect is the best thing to have happened)
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Muppalla wrote:
Sanku wrote:^^^

That is a bad comparision. Regarding LKA stuff some are media hit jobs and lot are via videos of his own making. .
There are no videos of his own making Muppalla ji.