Mass Rapid Transit in India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Mass Rapid Transit in India

Post by SSridhar »

Countdown to Chennai Metro Begins - The Hindu
With roughly a year left for the first signs of Chennai’s metro rail, the countdown has officially begun.

The focus now, for Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL), is the stretch between Koyambedu and St. Thomas Mount that is part of corridor II of the Rs. 14,600-crore project.

About 50 per cent of track laying has been completed on the stretch. The elevated stretch has eight stations, including Koyambedu and St. Thomas Mount.

The track along this stretch will be over 10 km in length and so far, double-tracks (for the two lines) have been laid for a distance of 4.3 km, according to V. Somasundaram, chief general manager (construction), CMRL.

“The remaining length will be nearly completed in three to four months,” he said.

Simultaneously, pending civil work, including construction of stations and the portion of the corridor over Kathipara junction, will go on and is expected to be completed in six months, the official said.

To date, 75 per cent of the civil works are complete, according to CMRL. Once the track-laying work is completed, signalling work will be taken up. That should take about four months’ time, said officials. If the deadlines are met, CMRL proposes to begin its trial run by July this year.

“We will conduct speed trials for the rolling stock first,” Mr. Somasundaram said. This will be followed by testing, to ensure that all the signals work in a coordinated manner.

Meeting the deadline

According to CMRL, the deadline for the elevated stretch is the first quarter of 2014. Engineers at different Metro sites said a three- to five-month delay could be expected in the project.

A massive project such as this, an engineer said, had to overcome different hurdles at various points. “Right from land acquisition to shortage of river sand for construction, there are a host of issues,” said an engineer working at one of the underground stations along Anna Salai.

However, CMRL maintained it was doing its best. “Our contractors are purchasing river sand at a higher rate so that the shortage — which is putting pressure on the construction industry at large — does not affect work on Metro Rail,” a CMRL official said.

Complex construction

The elevated stretch between Koyambedu and St. Thomas Mount has to accommodate a complex structure over Kathipara junction.

Known as the balanced cantilever, this bridge-like structure will come up at a height of about 25 metres above the road, and connect with the Metro corridor on two sides of the clover leaf-shaped flyover. Work has begun and will be completed in six months,
Mr. Somasundaram sa
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

svenkat wrote:
There is some animosity towards IT-Vity folks in Chennai and any politician seen putting up facilities will likely go down. IT-Vity people are only to be milked and pay taxes.
Considerable truth in that.OTOH,a MRTS line will accelerate development in OMR and this could be one of the economic powerhouses of the future in the entire SE Asia region.TN is now so far into industrialisation/services that it cannot go back.It requires more and more investment/technology/people and a positive attitude.If I were a betting man,I will go for MRTS before Jaya finishes her term.There are huge apartment complexes+IT +educational institutions.If connectivity is given from tiruporur to Chingelput line it will give an alternate line into Chennai.

I am pretty positive,but right now the middle of OMR is occupied by light poles.They will have to be removed for elevated line.
Saar, I really doubt if the MRTS line is going to be extended anywhere along OMR.

AFAIK, the already sanctioned Chennai-Cuddalore rail line (IR) project is set to start from a spot adjacent to Perungudi MRTS Station (look for a huge set of sidings there on your left as you travel towards VLCY - the space and basic facilities are already in place) and continue along Buckingham Canal parallel to OMR before shooting off away around Shozhinganallur or so. I don't have the timelines for start of construction or completion, but this defininitely is a project where some early iterations of alignment have already been prepared.

So take it FWIW.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Ambedkar statue elevated to protect it
Finally some sort of action on the Ambedkar Statue at Bangalore. There was a plan to spend crores of rupees to dis-assemble and assemble tunnel boring machines, just because a few Dalit organisations did NOT want to temporarily move away a statue of Ambedkar. Looks like some sense prevailed and a new plan is readied. Ambedkar Statue would be placed in a metal cage and lifted by a crane. It would remain in this position till the tunnel boring machine completes its work.

PS: I could only laugh at this plan :lol:. It would be real fun to watch a statue in a cage hanging high up from the air. It is always better to move the statue for safekeeping and bring it back.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

manish wrote:AFAIK, the already sanctioned Chennai-Cuddalore rail line (IR) project is set to start from a spot adjacent to Perungudi MRTS Station (look for a huge set of sidings there on your left as you travel towards VLCY - the space and basic facilities are already in place) and continue along Buckingham Canal parallel to OMR before shooting off away around Shozhinganallur or so. I don't have the timelines for start of construction or completion, but this defininitely is a project where some early iterations of alignment have already been prepared. The space at Perungudi can be used for making St. Thomas Mount another starting/end point for long distance trains therefore decongesting Egmore.

So take it FWIW.
manish, yes, there is huge space there, too vast for MRTS rakes. Anyway, when St. Thomas Mount is linked with Velachery, hopefully by mid-2014, it affords an opportunity to use St. Thomas Mount as a hub and inter-modal exchange point among long-distance, MRTS, suburban and metro transport systems apart from long distance buses.

I am doubtful if the Chennai-Cuddalore project along the east coast will ever come to fruition as already there is a rail link and the IR is in severe financial crunch. I would prefer the funds to be used in converting the remaining few stretches of MG to BG, doubling of line between Villupuram and Tiruchi (a dire need) and completion of Palani-Pollachi line.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

anyone try the test run of the Mumbai metro
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

BRTS Indore Has started.

One month free transportation to Indore-vaasis!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/sli ... 984052.cms
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Surya wrote:anyone try the test run of the Mumbai metro
I dont think it is open to public yet , they inaugurated some kind of official trial run few weeks back.

It will open to public this year end or beginning of next year , hopefully it does as its long delayed.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Dated news, but isn't it strange to have differential classes and fares in metro?

(Chennai)Metro Rail to offer first class ride?

Queried on why such a proposal was being considered, the official told them that CMRL wanted to draw both car users and others who use public transport :eek: , according to students who attended the lecture.
Pics posted in SSC forum show partitions inside coaches.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

big hue and cry in blr about metro track near jayadeva hospital being re-aligned and hence going into some flats, offices and malls.

only someone high on drugs would have design the metro in places like bannerghatta road ABOVE the ground rather than tunneling underneath and solving the issue once and for all.

underground is costly, but there is no escaping it in places in india. and overground is not cheap either in the amt of chaos during and after construction it causes. in delhi they have gone underground in most major places unlike BLR.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The Koyambedu-Alandur section of the Chennai metro is making rapid progress. The tricky last section over the Kathipara flyover is about to start and the whole work is expected to be over before November.
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

>> big hue and cry in blr about metro track near jayadeva hospital being re-aligned and hence going into some flats, offices and malls.

Saw the pic of the new and old alignment in blr newspaper. I understand only a part of the hospital would have to be demolished for the metro intersection.
Mumbai metro had faced the same problem, when in ghatkopar suburb the line had to pass thru sarvodaya hospital premises. After negotiations the hospital finally relented and allowed their boundary wall to be demolished to make way for pillar. But I think the train still has to negotiate a massive curve.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/hospi ... or/901388/
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Singha wrote:
underground is costly, but there is no escaping it in places in india. and overground is not cheap either in the amt of chaos during and after construction it causes. in delhi they have gone underground in most major places unlike BLR.
After public outcry, government to reconsider metro realignment -The Hindu
Centre’s clarification

“At this juncture, going underground to avoid either Jayadeva or private properties is out of the question as the project cost would escalate.” The Union government has already sought clarification on the Gottigere-Nagavara line going underground from Dairy Circle till Nagavara and the high cost of construction, the official said. While underground construction costs Rs. 400 crore per km, elevated construction costs Rs. 175 crore a km, he said.
I had mentioned earlier in Nukkad thread that Delhi and other 'metros' get preferential treatment. BLR is not so lucky.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

In sparsely populated lutyens delhi, miles and miles are underground because it would touch fatkat mantri and chela housing, not for any lack of surface space.

All creatures are equal but some pigs are more equal than others.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Bangalore is underlain by a particular resistant and difficult rock to work with. This might have had something to do with that decision as well. Chennai with softer rock ended up largely underground and also roughly twice the cost as Bangalore and also much much further behind. But yes Delhi was the first test case and put up with a lot of takleef for the metro, it could have all gone sideways, a la kolkata. We should not begrudge them the risk they took.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

rock means additional cost in drilling and some speed loss but those chi chi TBMs operated by thai crews should be able to do anything. the swiss and austrians have used similar machines to drill miles and miles through the Alps.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Isn't it easier to drill through hard rock than soft rock, part of the reason for cut and fill instead of drill through, for kolkata metro in its early days. The Deccan plateau must be easier to drill with no fear of collapse.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

how? i thought granite and other metamorphic ones are more difficult to cut through.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

It is not just about cutting through, but also holding up what is not cut from collapse in the process, especially when there are structures above ground.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

IIRC the hard rock in Bangalore is very intermittent, fractured and broken up. Every time the rock changes the TBM cutting head has to be reconfigured. In the time in transition the shield/heads suffer damage with mixed up material. This has been a serious problem in Chennai recently where the Nehru park-Egmore machine has run into that precise combination. IIRC it has gone a glacial 300 m in 26 months of effort. About 1 foot per day!
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

While Chennai is set on a glacial path, another small town to the west has broken ground for metro with promise of civil works to be completed in 24 months. Gladly no tunneling required there but only pillars. Hopefully this will also sow the seeds of desire for hundreds of thousands of such pillars all through the state. :-)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Ideally UDP and LDP won't go into the game of renaming the Kochi Metro stops after their respective political legends each time they come into power :) I just hope it comes up as planned and the utility drives its expansion at an even faster pace through additional PPP-mode investment thanks to all the Gelf money in town.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Once Kochi gets its metro built up with the proposed monorails in Trivandrum and Calicut, we can expect the aam junta to ask for state wide metro like quality connectivity. The gelf returned or residing denizens from all over the state can help in setting up the motivation to move on to the next big thing, the HSRL. Maybe PPP investment with gulf sources will be sorely needed to get it going.

If 25km of pillar works can be done in 24 months within the constraint of city limits, what will 250km of similar civil works in rural areas take, not 10 years for sure. If they can find the money it can all be done in 5 short years perhaps.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Any details/ pics of cutting through rocks and ground? It would be interesting to see the patterns of the Earth structure. I believe when mount toba erupted during ice-age, it spewed ash content to various parts of India is the theory (some 30-70K years ago).
we can expect the aam junta to ask for state wide metro like quality connectivity
my aam mind started asking this already for KL land.. a multi-lane metro system connecting from kasargod to tvm. 4 laned should be planned, so that at least 2 lanes get sanctioned. they can demand India's first Th based nuke power to power this setup.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Some projected shots of how it will all look, once the Kochi metro is built.

That white building is the Toyota showroom I believe.

This is next to the newly opened Mall.

Some sharp curves close to buildings and parking lots.

That looks like the line next to NH-47.

Bengaluru needs one like this alongside the ORR for sure.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there is no room alongside the ORR. the ORR never catered for increasing the lanes from 3+3 to 5+5 later, or enough width of service roads or room for proper cloverleaf interchanges. marathalli and kr puram are disasters. lets not even talk of jayanagar and BTM.

the only way metro will come on ORR is underground - all the way. even KR puram needs the ORR road to go underground and emerge in NGEF layout at other end but thats my dream only.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The service roads on both sides of ORR B'lur are 2 lanes wide. It did look like sufficient space to put in pillars and elevate the whole line. If they did not go underground with all the opposition from folks near Jayadeva hospital, it is less likely that an underground will be planned around ORR.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ORR is wider than Chennai 100 ft road right! In places the 100 feet road pinches to 80 feet even and there is a metro running right over it. No reason ORR can not have overground metro.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but the ORR is wider than Chennai 100 ft road right! In places the 100 feet road pinches to 80 feet even and there is a metro running right over it. No reason ORR can not have overground metro.
The metro goes through far narrower areas, but the amount of traffic density on ORR will cause issues. To make it signal free they've added a lot of flyovers, so it becomes a little complicated. It's doable, but with a bit of foresight it could have been done without a lot of pain. I just shudder at the thought of the traffic snarls if they decide to put a metro line through there and i don't even live/work there. :mrgreen:
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Well in Chennai they have refused to build the flyovers at Vadapalani and Padi junction just to make sure it all works with the metro and 10 years of traffic jam chaos and insanity is enough! IMHO we should not get scared of open heart surgery. There really are no good options in these situations.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

For B'lur another line not in the works or planned at all is along NH7 to airport touching Yelahanka which has a large captive population from a cursory look at google map. That line could be also extended further south through Hebbal (which has a major interchange) and probably routed through the old Airport road further east till Whitefield or till ORR at least.

These are high density corridors with lot of shopping and foot traffic, wonder why they have not considered this at all from the very beginning. I did not see much dwellings in the south-west alignment when I drove around there few months back, especially along the Mysore road line. Maybe someone who knows the place better can comment.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Mumbai Monorail rolls into home stretch
The monorail trials between Chembur and Wadala have entered the final stage and by mid-July all the trials will have been completed. According to sources, all the standalone trials are all but over. All that remains to be completed is the system integration test, which has begun.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, MMRDA conducted review meetings of the project in which the topic of comprehensive testing was also discussed. “System integration testing in which all the systems like rolling stock, signalling, telecommunications, control room, etc are tested together to check if it throws any errors has started,” said an official. Standalone testing is done of every system independently and these include telecommunications and signalling.

Sources said some of the last signalling checks are currently underway as is testing of telecommunication. MMRDA has appointed Singapore-based SMART agency to monitor the tests. A retired commissioner of Railway Safety too will carry out tests simultaneously. Besides, another agency will be appointed for safety certification of the first phase of the Mumbai monorail. The second phase includes the Wadala – Jacob Circle that is likely to be commissioned by mid-2014.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Third metro rail gets the green signal
The union cabinet on Thursday approved the third metro rail line or the first underground metro rail of Mumbai between Colaba — Bandra — SEEPZ.

“The 32.5 km-long third metro line got the union cabinet’s approval today (Thursday),” confirmed UPS Madan, metropolitan commissioner, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA). The proposal for approval of financial model as well as loan from Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) was tabled.

Unlike the first two metro lines (Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar and Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd), the third metro line will be a joint venture between the union and state governments.

JICA will extend 56% of the Rs24,500 crore slotted for the project with 27 stations as a loan. Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) will share the project cost by Rs772 crore, as one of the stations will come up in the airport premises.

To date four Japanese companies have shown interest in taking up the metro project – Nippon, Kawasaki, Hitachi and Mitsubishi. A car yard where metro coaches will be parked has been proposed to come up opposite SEEPZ on Aarey Colony land.

Work on the entire metro project is scheduled to begin from early 2014 and is expected to be completed by March 2019.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

That is good news. Mumbai sorely need better infrastructure, even when it all comes perhaps 5 decades late.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Indian attitudes never cease to amuse me. Now that two tier-2 cities in Kerala have monorails approved and on the verge of works beginning I see people whine about the choice of monorail over metro for the capital city. All these years all were happy with nothing or at least got nothing for constant whining, now that they have something in the works it is all negativity. We blame all imported isms for all our faults, but there seem to be something in our DNA itself which is holding us back.

With all tier-2 cities where roads are not wide enough and the natural layout of land is such that straight alignments would be difficult, one would think that monorail is not a bad option at all. Sigh !
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

List of tier-2 towns where monorail lines will be needed including ones planned or under implementation.

South Zone:
Thiruvananthapuram, Kozhikode, Madurai, Coimbatore, Mysore, Mangalore, Vishakapatnam, Pune, Nagpur, Goa

East Zone :
Guhawati , Bhubhaneshwar/Cuttack

North Zone:

Surat, Baroda, Jodhpur (?) , Indore, Bhopal, Agra, Allahabad.

The North Zone will have a lot more cities which will need a full metro considering the population density of the region.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 606_1.html
Lucknow City has a population of over 3 million. There has been tremendous horizontal growth in the state capital with rapid development of suburban areas.

In such a scenario, a modern urban rapid rail transit system (RRTS) is imperative for a growing city like Lucknow to facilitate faster commuting and decongesting ever increasing road traffic.

The cabinet approved the development of first phase of the metro project estimated to cost Rs 8,000 crore. The North-South corridor would span 24 km connecting Lucknow Airport to Munshi Pulia and traversing busiest intersections.

The first phase of the project is likely to be up and running by 2016-17.

The total project envisaged in phases is estimated at Rs 15,000 crore to be funded 50:50 by the Centre and UP on the lines of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and as suggested by the union urban development ministry.

DMRC is the consultant for the project and had prepared the Detailed Project Report (DPR). World Bank and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) had alrady evinced interest in Lucknow Metro.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

So there are plans to up the Bangalore network to 265km one.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ban ... 861020.ece
The proposed new network of 150.94 km will virtually throw a metro grid around Bangalore city after completion besides connecting key points such as the Bengaluru International Airport, Hebbal and Magadi Road. After completion of all the three phases, Bangalore will have a respectable 265 km of metro network.

The State government’s high-power committee has already cleared a pre-feasibility study on the proposed network, said a BMRCL statement.

Under Phase 2A, the Gottigere-Nagavara line of Phase 2 will get extended till the international airport, a distance of 23.37 km. Also, another 33 km new line will connect Yelahanka in the north and Sarjapur in the southeast under Phase 3. The Outer Ring Road (ORR) will be covered by the metro network (64.37 km) under Phase 3 with the line being proposed from Hebbal to Bannerghatta Road via Central Silk Board, Ganapathi temple, Bannerghatta Road and back to Hebbal.

Another new line is proposed from Hosakerehalli in south Bangalore to the ORR, connecting the grid (21.31 km). The proposed Peripheral Ring Road (PRR) on Magadi Road too will be connected to the Phase 1 grid at the Magadi Road toll gate through an 8.89-km new line.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

On reading this, I first thought it is a wishful thinking. But I have to appreciate their foresight. At the rate they are building phase 1, it looks like phase 2 will take 10 years to complete. Already residents near Jayadeva interchange have threatened to sue BMRCL, IT companies near EPIP are crying foul, delays due to litigations are likely. Considering this, BMRCL has planned for phase 3 quite early. They can notify/acquire land in advance to prevent cost escalation later. One can only hope that people who lose properties are compensated adequately.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I cannot understand why this should take that long, if done in parallel it can all be done by 2020. That should be the final target. Transportation is the crying need, everything else can sort of wait. Without quality transportation choices within a large and growing city it will choke itself and its residents to death slowly.

Those residents in Jayadeva interchange area should be shown their place. If people buy in congested areas then expect it to be all re-zoned in their own lifetimes. I sometimes feel that within city areas, land ownership should not be free-hold, but some kind of lease-hold with strings which would allow larger interests to be kept in mind.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Staring at google maps with overlaid new metro lines which are proposed, the Airport area is well covered. The Nagwara extension to Devanahalli might go along side NH-7 north of the Yelahanka air force base. I guess between Yelahanka town and the Air force base there is not much population density. Besides since another line is planned to end at Yelahanka the future population centers in this region could use either of these two lines to get in the CBD areas and beyond.

The Yelahanka line has been planned with a future eye of extension to Dodballapur side which will see a lot of development over the next 20-30 years. Same with the other end of this line towards Sarjapur. Never been on Sarjapur road myself so not sure if other than commercial establishments if there are huge residential communities planned too. In any case this line covers for all that.

The ones left out are existing developments both commercial and residential along the old Airport road which I have taken each time I visit the city. This place is quite crowded so wonder why it does not get any consideration. The ORR alignment also proposed for phase 3, takes care of Marathahalli areas but with large gaps along this congested corridor.

Now with so many new lines converging in the CBD area, how they all can merge to make transfers easy is hardly mentioned in these news items. Have the underground alignments in place for phase 1, been designed with all these future lines in mind ?