Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by SaiK »

thankx.. i still don't get the meaning of tau or its charge value in this thread context.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Leptons are funny that way.

Here you go. A good simple explanation :D

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you do decay into hard-ons! ;)

btw from the last year data

any new ratings?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Especially if you're keen on supporting a chinese company. I think I've had enough of Lenovos now. Others are as good in terms of business machines and even Lenovo has been lagging with Haswell adoption. With Chinese incursions and hostility, I'd rather buy Korean or Japanese if the difference is not much.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Personal experience in order of highest to lowest rank. Apple, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, Dell, HP and last Samsung. At times though I've thought HP and Samsung laptops are equally bad. I've used Asus, but never owned in the last 3 years.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

but in case of lenovo all your money goes there, and for other brands only the assembly price which is a small fractions, goes there, no?
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^No problem and again I'm sorry for being rude.

My contact for Lumia 1020 says the camera on the Lumia 1520 is going to be better and I should wait until December. I must admit a 6" Windows phablet does look appealing. I know institutional customers will jump on 6-7" Windows tablets like gangbusters. The Yum-bee-yaa / excel / project/ power point crowd will have multiple collective big-Os. :mrgreen:
I think I read somewhere that it is goi9ng to be 20 mpx.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

but 1520 with its 6" screen will not appeal to most phone users. it will be ok for the phablet crowd.

meantime the initial spy shots of samsung watch do not look encouraging...a huge 3" diagonal screen and the looks of a big garmin watch strapped to wrist. one can rule out women users in that form factor and for most men it will look outsize too.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/latest-leak- ... 00-11.html

something that looks better like the nike fuelband might work. and I suspect apple will not make such mistakes as to overspec it and make it too large.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Samsung SmartWatch looks like a .... :mrgreen:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:Samsung SmartWatch looks like a .... :mrgreen:
...complete and absolute turd.

What the hell was Sammy thinking? This will not sell if it looks so horrible from an industrial design PoV and even if the UI is good.
Time keeping is such a fundamental function where we need precision, ruggedness, reliability. Precision watches have been made for several decades now where aesthetic appeal is well understood.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

As per chai wallah sources this was developed in Sammy Sillycon valley. Sammy had a real chance here and their suits are trying to blow it. No wonder the Mahdi said, we are not good, the others are bad!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^then in the meanwhile do forearm and wrist exercises :P
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

whatever people say about chinese OEMs, they are seriously getting better and turning up some inspired looking phones now albeit still following apple and sam style cues mostly
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/meizu-mx3-launched/
they have the manufacturing and hooks into the soko/taiwan/japan ecosystem as well.

none of micromax types are remotely at that level.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Mort Walker wrote:Personal experience in order of highest to lowest rank. Apple, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, Dell, HP and last Samsung. At times though I've thought HP and Samsung laptops are equally bad. I've used Asus, but never owned in the last 3 years.

For me;

1. I dont use Apple----i like windows and engineering and tinkering.
2. samsung is mid ranked to me....something like toshiba.

Dell, HP, I do not even think of, ever.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

mr. bhu, thanks for the slickdeals link.

I wanted to buy a desktop for kids HW, as she bothers for time slot on my laptop. I am still unsuccessful to get the older PC working, so I thought while i research for my new laptop, get the desktop going so that my KB laptop is not been misused.

got a good deal at staples - 3rd gen i3 core lenovo h520 box for 299+tax (325 total). just submitted the order free shipping. there is a coupon code for this in slickdeal for 100 bucks, plus an instant 50 bucks off.

if anyone interested :
http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-H520-Desk ... ze=certona
apoorv
BRFite

Post by apoorv »

Microsoft just took over Nokia's device and services wing!! RIP Nokia :(

I hope MS does now screw up things. They have a great opportunity to come up with awesome devices now.

http://press.nokia.com/2013/09/02/micro ... -services/#
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

apoorv wrote:Microsoft just took over Nokia's device and services wing!! RIP Nokia :(

I hope MS does now screw up things. They have a great opportunity to come up with awesome devices now.

Hardly news....this was expected and as long as Mickey doesn't fumble the acquisition, its a real smart move....much smarter than Chacha going after Motor Oil. Next move in the game - appoint Elop as CEO of Mickey? :mrgreen:

And this will probably force Chacha's hand a bit with how to operate Motor Oil though the main trigger there will be Sammy's defection.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Raja Bose wrote:
apoorv wrote:Microsoft just took over Nokia's device and services wing!! RIP Nokia :(

Hardly news....this was expected and as long as Mickey doesn't fumble the acquisition, its a real smart move....much smarter than Chacha going after Motor Oil. Next move in the game - appoint Elop as CEO of Mickey? :mrgreen:

And this will probably force Chacha's hand a bit with how to operate Motor Oil though the main trigger there will be Sammy's defection.
From WP or Android ? Sstore Smap Smusic Smail Schat ?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

So will some peechaddis will now be Mickey's employees?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

real smart move to counter google/android device market.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

What about sales network ? What will be reaction of loyal Nokia customers ? What about Surface brand ? How will this effect other partners (not HTC or Samsung) ?

For Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, Lenovo this should cause more takleef (more than surface).
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Raja Bose wrote:Hardly news....this was expected and as long as Mickey doesn't fumble the acquisition, its a real smart move....much smarter than Chacha going after Motor Oil. Next move in the game - appoint Elop as CEO of Mickey? :mrgreen:

Finally A SANE acquisition from Mickey, though expected. Yes Elop for CEO.

Sammy is long term a dead duck, consigned to commodity play. They are the Dell of the mid 90s to mid 2000s of the Android Ecosystem now. Long term, the industry model is easily visible. Three vertically integrated ecosystems, Fruit, Chacha and Mickey. The Sammys and others have to fund opensource /Firefox with HTML 5 kind of thing to remain competitive.

Yes. Anujanullah is right. The money for developers is not hawking "software" on the phones, but actually services and the app usually will be a giveaway to get the service revenue in.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well.. google might take up sammy with them on a counter move? i would if i was sergey.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hopefully the lumias will get even better.

MMX(22% share) has apparently sworn a oath to beat Sam(26% share) by diwali

Sam sells only the S3, N2 and S4 in the US due to 2 yr carrier plans hence people get the best meat for cheap.

but in other markets they have to compete in the unlocked space...and beyond 20k its a stretch to afford.

and their 10-20K offerings are pure horse manure. :lol: easily attacked and outspecced/outpriced by the panda phones.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

In a way Microsoft is paying what Google paid for Motorola considering it was giving Nokia $250 million as "platform support cost" every quarter.. they must have paid close to 3 Billion till now.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Basically, this means that NOKIA ceases to be a mobile phone manufacturer? Will MS sell phones under it's brand name now and NOKIA is consigned to dustbin of history? Or, will MS retain NOKIA brand?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Microsoft Corp on Tuesday said it would buy Nokia's <NOK1V.HE> mobile phone business for 5.44 billion euros, and the Finnish firm said its CEO, Stephen Elop, would join Microsoft when the transaction closed.
apoorv
BRFite

Post by apoorv »

I believe MS will retain Nokia brand. Its a much bigger brand in mobile phone space.
I owned a Lumia 800. One problem other than lack of apps is that the UI becomes boring after a while. The black or white background simply became depressing after a few months. WP's next version should take some clues from Win 8 user interface.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

rohitvats wrote:Basically, this means that NOKIA ceases to be a mobile phone manufacturer? Will MS sell phones under it's brand name now and NOKIA is consigned to dustbin of history? Or, will MS retain NOKIA brand?
It will license Nokia brand. (kind of like Google licensed Motorola brand)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

rohitvats wrote:Basically, this means that NOKIA ceases to be a mobile phone manufacturer? Will MS sell phones under it's brand name now and NOKIA is consigned to dustbin of history? Or, will MS retain NOKIA brand?
Mickey would be stupid to ditch Nokia brand given how much brand equity it has.

----

What went under the radar is Mickey is also taking over the ASHA product line and all of GB's manufacturing facilities including the Chennai factory.
apoorv
BRFite

Post by apoorv »

I read somewhere that MS is more interested in Asha line than Lumia as it wants to graduate Asha owners to WP space. Lets see how it can be done.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

apoorv wrote:I read somewhere that MS is more interested in Asha line than Lumia as it wants to graduate Asha owners to WP space. Lets see how it can be done.
By changing UX/UI of Asha phone's Smarterphone OS
apoorv
BRFite

Post by apoorv »

anmol wrote: By changing UX/UI of Asha phone's Smarterphone OS
They will also need to transfer Asha apps to WP marketplace. Best option will be to make WP capable of running on Asha hardware and send an onair update.

How many lower end phone users actually know the concept of software update? Also many may not like to graduate to a new UI.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

So the baap of OS & software lockdown and enforcing monopoly through this has got its paws on an iconic hardware brand eh ?

Aapil can now look forward to learning few tricks of the trade that it never knew existed.
Maybe I can now look forward to cartel pricing in phonwa space with these two in concert.
Bad day for consumers like moi. Asha became Nirasha onlee..
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Why not sell the devices related patents instead of licensing them to M$? When nokia is not going to make any more devices, what sense does it make to keep them? I guess all the patents will go to the advanced technologies division?

Again, why keep the mapping division? Its biggest customer is the devices and services group. So why not let it go along with the D&S group?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Asha is el cheapo hardware. M$ will probably shut it down.

+100 Lilo. Soon, one of my favorite brands will be no more. I guess under the agreement, Nokia can start making its own mobile devices after 30 months. But I doubt it will enter the space again. Or M$ will make a meal of it and sell it back to Nokia after a few years.

I can go back to hating M$ again. :mrgreen:
Last edited by hanumadu on 03 Sep 2013 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

hanumadu wrote:Why not sell the devices related patents instead of licensing them to M$? When nokia is not going to make any more devices, what sense does it make to keep them? I guess all the patents will go to the advanced technologies division?

Again, why keep the mapping division? Its biggest customer is the devices and services group. So why not let it go along with the D&S group?
:rotfl: Because this way they will go after every company selling phones and not giving royalty to Nokia. Their patent portfolio should be stronger than ANY other company in the world.
Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will pay [...] EUR 1.65 billion to license Nokia's patents [...]
Last edited by anmol on 03 Sep 2013 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

^^I know, but why not take a lump-sum and get rid of it. At 600 million euros a year(I think) the patents earn, they should be worth around 8 billion dollars at least.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

hanumadu wrote:^^I know, but why not take a lump-sum and get rid of it. At 600 million euros a year(I think) the patents earn, they should be worth around 8 billion dollars at least.
Guess it was cheaper for Microsoft. And Imagine how many more billions Nokia can get from other firms when Microsoft is paying EUR 1.65 billion.

See this: http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/09/165- ... nsing.html