Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Singha »

do people in the US paste the screenguards on their phones?
I find it attracts oil and fingerprints and distorts the look somewhat more than the real glass.
so far no stuck anything depending on the chimp glass, but will align with the crowd if you are all doing it.

wrapped the back in a rubberized case.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

my question was not about adhesives but if people use screenguard at all.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Singha wrote:my question was not about adhesives but if people use screenguard at all.
I do not.

I do not understand the need for going for the latest Ultra-Super-Whatnot-HD screen if you are finally going to wrap it up in cheap plastic.

I have never used any screen guards on my devices and never will. My SGS III has a hard, matte finish Ringke SLIM Lite case (back plate onlee) and that's it.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Wtf is use of boasting about one's precision machined titanium hulled chi chi smartphone if you are gonna wrap it in a condom? :roll:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I do. That way I do not have to worry about keys in which pocket etc
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I use a screen guard -
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Gus wrote:I do. That way I do not have to worry about keys in which pocket etc
me too, even went out and forked up hard earned cash for kompany bahadur supplied iPhone and ipad
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I am back nanga again, kept the rubber case in storage.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

My almost 2 year old 4s never had any screen guard only a thin rubber cover to protect it from dings . Now that it has become old I use it without any cover .
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^so its like going from GHQ phase to SHQ phase.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

:D
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo WP8 will cross iOS mktshare next year....except in the distorted US market. another big market is china..maybe xiaomi and gionee and zte will release some handsets to drive that.

Frankfurt: Microsoft's Windows platform has reached a 9.2 per cent share in the smartphone operating system (OS) market in key European markets, driven by Nokia's low and mid-range models, market research firm Kantar said on Monday. During the three months to August, the Windows Phone platform reached a market share of over 10 per cent for the first time in France and Britain, with 10.8 per cent and 12 per cent respectively, the researcher said. Nokia, which earlier this month agreed to sell its mobile phone handset business to Microsoft, is the main user of the Windows platform and the driver behind the increase. Nokia is the main user of Microsoft's Windows Phone platform and the driver behind the increase. "Windows Phone's latest wave of growth is being driven by Nokia's expansion into the low and mid-range market with the Lumia 520 and 620 handsets," said Kantar analyst Dominic Sunnebo. "These models are hitting the sweet spot with 16 to 24 year-olds and 35 to 49 year-olds, two key groups that look for a balance of price and functionality in their smartphone." Google's Android, which runs on Samsung and Sony smartphones among others, remained the leading platform in key European markets, which include Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Android's market share increased to 70.1 per cent from 68.8 per cent in the same period last year. Apple's iOS was the second-biggest platform with a 16.1-per cent market share, 2 percentage points more than last year. BlackBerry, which earlier this month agreed to go private, saw its market share more than halved to 2.4 per cent from 5.8 per cent.

Read more at: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokias-lumia ... ef_article
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Just noticed that the price of 1st Gen Nexus 7 has dropped to 10K from 15K. Is it still a good buy? Or a bit old in tooth now? I can live with the screen resolution etc.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Yes its a good buy...just make sure its not refurb maal.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

^^^ whats wrong with refurb maal though?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^
For tablets:
1. Battery life will be worse after gone through many cycles of charge-discharge.
2. The USB connector on the main board may be flaky.
3. The housing may be acceptable, but it may show signs of wear and not feel solid or flex in your hands.
4. If someone has rooted or jail broken the device, the firmware may be corrupted, you might have to re-install it correctly. Not a big deal for some, but just another hassle.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Raja Bose wrote:Wtf is use of boasting about one's precision machined titanium hulled chi chi smartphone if you are gonna wrap it in a condom? :roll:
My iPhunwa is nanga as well. I am good with keeping stuff in good condition forever, so this works best for me.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Remember bitcoin? One of the main users were reported to be people who want to purchase drugs on the internet.

Here is a related news item - I came across "silk road" first in an NPR broadcast.

F.B.I. Seizes Silk Road, an Online Drug Market, and Makes Arrest
The Silk Road marketplace is available through Tor, a popular tool for maintaining anonymity online. Bitcoin, a virtual currency, is used for transactions. The identities of sellers are not known to the buyers. About $1.2 million in sales were conducted a month in early 2012, according to a study by an assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon University, Nicolas Christin.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Suraj wrote:More from the original source, Anandtech:
They're (Almost) All Dirty: The State of Cheating in Android Benchmarks
I noticed weird things with AnTuTu and some of the other benchmarks on different devices. The only one I use is Geekbench 3 as a reference since it is across all platforms. Why Sammy had to inflate GB3 scores by 20%, I don't know, but it sticks out very obviously. Even without cheating, the Note 3 does very well and is comparable to the iPhone 5s (GB3 score of ~2500), but with a 6" 1080p screen.

Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

^^^
Anyone remember Nvidia cheating on Benchmarks? http://www.geek.com/games/futuremark-co ... rk-553361/

Way back, when gamer community were willing to pay big bucks for graphics cards, Nvidia would drop calculations for benchmarks if it detected them. Sad to see mobile manufacturers also going Paki along the same vein.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Cheating on benchmarks is old hat. I remember that in the early 80s, Byte Magazine used to use a C version of Sieve of Eratosthenes algorithm to generate prime numbers as a standard for bench marking (a few other companies also used this test). One vendor's compiler was written to recognize their test code and instead generate a binary that spat out prime numbers from a pre-computed list! When the reviewers ran their benchmark code, it spat out the prime numbers extraordinarily fast, since it was generating them without doing any calculations. The speed of the code baffled the testers until the author of the compiler fessed up to Byte Magazine and claimed this was an "unusual compiler optimization". Soon after that, Byte Magazine changed their bench mark suite and made the test code secret.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Sriman wrote:Just noticed that the price of 1st Gen Nexus 7 has dropped to 10K from 15K. Is it still a good buy? Or a bit old in tooth now? I can live with the screen resolution etc.
Thanks RB.
Maulers in India, any other tablets in that range i should be considering? I'm guessing when chacha does release Gen 2, it'll be 16K+ for sure.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T that's obviously still under contract (less than one year old), and on a lark, I tried to use the AT&T official unlock page to request unlock. The page has the usual boilerplate that you have to be out of contract (>2 years old) etc. But lo and behold, I get an email from AT&T stating that my phone is unlocked. I checked IMEI status online on AT&T and elsewhere, and it shows as unlocked now. Macrumors forum indicates some other folks have also had success using this approach, as opposed to using grey market sites. YMMV . Is is possible for AT&T to relock a phone that has been officially unlocked ?
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^
For tablets:
1. Battery life will be worse after gone through many cycles of charge-discharge.
2. The USB connector on the main board may be flaky.
3. The housing may be acceptable, but it may show signs of wear and not feel solid or flex in your hands.
4. If someone has rooted or jail broken the device, the firmware may be corrupted, you might have to re-install it correctly. Not a big deal for some, but just another hassle.

So,

I bought me a refurb Lenovo Laptop from the US, and am now in India. Spoke to Lenovo, they said that we donot have international warranty only...only US warranty.

It is giving me some trouble with the sound card: mic and speakers. They go off when not required, especially when I use Skype to call other people.

How to solve this?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Sriman wrote:
Sriman wrote:Just noticed that the price of 1st Gen Nexus 7 has dropped to 10K from 15K. Is it still a good buy? Or a bit old in tooth now? I can live with the screen resolution etc.
Thanks RB.
Maulers in India, any other tablets in that range i should be considering? I'm guessing when chacha does release Gen 2, it'll be 16K+ for sure.
just dont buy MM
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

mahadevbhu wrote:So,

I bought me a refurb Lenovo Laptop from the US, and am now in India. Spoke to Lenovo, they said that we donot have international warranty only...only US warranty.

It is giving me some trouble with the sound card: mic and speakers. They go off when not required, especially when I use Skype to call other people.

How to solve this?
Perhaps try another OS to make sure it is not some program or driver that is causing it.
You could try a live CD.
If the hardware is bad, then one could look for a USB soundcard. I had one with a Line In and Line Out.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

So,

How to solve this?
try with a speaker and see if you can play some songs, reinstalling OS could be another option , do a fresh install and update the drivers, us drivers specific for hardware and dont use inbuilt windows driver
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Suraj wrote:I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T that's obviously still under contract (less than one year old), and on a lark, I tried to use the AT&T official unlock page to request unlock. The page has the usual boilerplate that you have to be out of contract (>2 years old) etc. But lo and behold, I get an email from AT&T stating that my phone is unlocked. I checked IMEI status online on AT&T and elsewhere, and it shows as unlocked now. Macrumors forum indicates some other folks have also had success using this approach, as opposed to using grey market sites. YMMV . Is is possible for AT&T to relock a phone that has been officially unlocked ?
I don't know if the unlock procedure is different for iPhone, but in my case (Android) , when I asked AT&T customer service to unlock my phone, they gave me the unlock code. Now the procedure is that when you put in a non-AT&T sim card in it, the phone will ask you for the code. Once you put it in the phone is unlocked forever. It is not possible for AT&T to lock it again. Even if they could, you'd still have the unlock code with you.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

^ for iphone, the unlocking happens in apple servers. if you connect to iTunes, it will then say, your phone is unlocked. I have never heard of 're-locking' of iphones.

i wonder how these websites operate where you give IMEI and they unlock it for you. Probably sending your IMEI as part of regular unlock batches from approved re-sellers?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/facebook-bui ... 85-11.html

fbook investing in a 500 unit housing complex near the office.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

people are trying out fashion photos with the 1020 .... not exactly a hasselblad but maybe adequate for the low end
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/01 ... title_0_12
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/facebook-bui ... 85-11.html

fbook investing in a 500 unit housing complex near the office.
So they are upgrading from tents? :mrgreen:
Singha wrote:people are trying out fashion photos with the 1020 .... not exactly a hasselblad but maybe adequate for the low end
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/01 ... title_0_12
Heh heh....when you find a "low end" camera which can shoot a 3 page photo spread for National Geographic (that too hard copy print), let us know. :P

Stephen Alvarez discusses Grand Canyon shoot with Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone for National Geographic

In one of his interviews, Stephen Alvarez actually gave an example of where he could only use a phone like the 1020 but not a DSLR. The world is passing by while die-hards doggedly cling to beliefs swathed in cobwebs and long forgotten.....holding out in desperate hope. The world waits for no one.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Remember, Alvarez is doing advertisement for Nokia/MSFT. Nothing more. He's not giving up his 5DMkIII DSLR in any way.
"Nokia called my rep to see if I would be interested in doing an assignment that would showcase the capability of the phone," he told Imaging Resource. "I gotta say, I was little skeptical, but I got kids to feed so I said yes. But over the course of the ten days with the Nokia, I became a convert."
This sort of always happens when you get a professional to do your bidding. The Nokia Lumia 1020 is good low end camera and probably the best camera phone at this date. Let's leave it at that.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

does the part after the bolded text say something
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^Remember, Alvarez is doing advertisement for Nokia/MSFT. Nothing more. He's not giving up his 5DMkIII DSLR in any way.
"Nokia called my rep to see if I would be interested in doing an assignment that would showcase the capability of the phone," he told Imaging Resource. "I gotta say, I was little skeptical, but I got kids to feed so I said yes. But over the course of the ten days with the Nokia, I became a convert."
This sort of always happens when you get a professional to do your bidding. The Nokia Lumia 1020 is good low end camera and probably the best camera phone at this date. Let's leave it at that.
Read what you yourself post (highlighted in red) before drawing conclusions. :lol: Sorry, tau ji your calling it a low-end camera doesn't make it so especially given it produces photos good enough for a 3 page spread in National Geographic and that too in print. Don't forget that National Geographic which is known for spectacular photo quality in its magazine is putting its reputation on the line, not to mention Alvarez himself by using the Lumia 1020 to do the entire photo shoot....so yes its an advertisement for Nokia but its hardly a blind endorsement in exchange for some bucks.

Now which "good" "low end" camera has been used till date to do those type of 3 page fanfold photo spreads of the kind National Geographic is famous for?....do let me know coz I am curious :P