BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
archan
Forum Moderator

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by archan »

I don't think the software allows restricting people to certain threads. If mods have to go after people that much, if someone requires that kind of childish disciplining (time out from this thread!) then one would wonder if the user should stay on the forum, no?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I was looking at posters going emotional, and not necessarily childish. But I agree, it may be a more involved functionality to provide. How about automatic soft deletion of posts based on thumps up /down?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Regardless of what the specific behavior may be, posters need to moderate their own behavior in such situations. Coming up with even more bureaucratic solutions such as per-thread bans is a confusing and administration intensive exercise that serves little purpose other than impose a whole lot of new rules and micromanage posters. The simplest tool for a hot thread is the 24-hr thread lock with a request to everyone to cool down, which we have used several times.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

+1 there, if warnings don't work.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

-delete-
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 08 Oct 2013 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Theo: the report post functionality is there to be used. Please use it.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> I have a deep reluctance to use the report button.....

therein lies the problem. whether old mod or new, how can we help if we don't know of the problem.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

-delete-
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 08 Oct 2013 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Can some of the new mods please look at the off-topic thread. I have a deep reluctance to use the report button.....
Theo ji, why not point mods to exact posts using report button? You surely don't expect them to trawl thru the whole thread searching for needles in a haystack?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Theo: that is unreasonable. If you cannot be bothered to read the posts, we aren't going to act just based upon some assumption you make about them. You aren't expected to respond to them, but if you have concerns about specific posts, use the post report function instead of posting here.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

-delete-
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 08 Oct 2013 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

aah! we have a social problem if we don't like each other.. this needs to be taken to nukkad. i am concerned at this ignore, and i don't care what others say attitude. not paying attention to details, then you will not be able to reason your decision to hit the bang! button. or is it that you want to search on some words, and if the post contains that word, hit it! and then reason later? what is your objective theo?

please don't use ignore button. if everyone ignores, then we are not making any sense within burkhagdf
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

@Theo: that would fall in the 'Why doesn't somebody do something as long as its not me?' category....a trait we SDREs seem to singularly possess.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

-delete-
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 08 Oct 2013 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Theo: I suggest you cut out the holier than thou "oh I've no time or desire to deal with the predictable posts from the peanut gallery" attitude. If you haven't read the posts, you've no business describing the as 'the usual mayhem'.

Posting here has consequences for every poster. Every time you hit 'submit' you implicitly sign up to deal with them. If you want to ignore someone, put them on your own ignore list yourself. When you post, you can choose to:
a) respond at length
b) respond for a while, and excuse yourself from the discussion or agree to disagree, and move on
c) not respond at all
You don't get to not respond and come here to ask us to act against others' posts sight unseen, with your own qualitative judgement about their responses. Doing so will earn you censure for wasting our time.

We've no desire to moderate opinion just because they're different ones, but expecting others to clean up after you isn't a welcome attitude from posters. From a moderation perspective, qualitative differences among opinions are irrelevant as long as each side is courteous.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

-delete-
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 08 Oct 2013 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I don't know how you guys think GDF is safe!? common grow up.
Manish Jain
BRFite

Post by Manish Jain »

I wholeheartedly support rohit's initiative in improving signal/noise ratio. I've been here for almost 15 years and I've always enjoyed BRF more when there were fewer posts but much better contents. If I don't know anything about a subject, I can either ask or read. If I just start typing whatever random thoughts come into my mind then I'm just wasting everybody's time.

Yes, please shut down NaMo thread/ politics/ religion discussions etc. BRF's USP was always the India defense related quality discussions which can not be found anywhere else. For other topics, there are thousands other fora.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

only fiber allows speed of light with least noise interference. but still, in that analogy, proper signals are required to say compare against the noise. bottom: it is important to create the right signal, and take care of the noise. noise is bound to be there in all media. there is no perfect world, but we have to see to what S/N decibel we can tolerate.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Manish Jain wrote:I wholeheartedly support rohit's initiative in improving signal/noise ratio. I've been here for almost 15 years and I've always enjoyed BRF more when there were fewer posts but much better contents. If I don't know anything about a subject, I can either ask or read. If I just start typing whatever random thoughts come into my mind then I'm just wasting everybody's time.

Yes, please shut down NaMo thread/ politics/ religion discussions etc. BRF's USP was always the India defense related quality discussions which can not be found anywhere else. For other topics, there are thousands other fora.
Err, when did the Namo/politics/religion/nukkad/L&M threads stop someone to write defense related quality discussions and articles?

2-3 years ago I requested knowledgeable posters to present a white paper along with recommendations on how to recapture PoK using military means and I am still looking forward to see that. I understand the decision to implement such a plan would be a "political" decision, but it need not stop someone writing a technical assessment, right? How many military enthusiast posters discussed Vivek_Ahuja's mil-scenarios and the logistics-algorithm he developed/used behind it?

Now that everyone is so worried about the political/religion/nukkad/L&M type discussions I want to make a claim. I can demonstrate that these discussions are more educative, logical and sometimes even scientific than discussions in military and strategic forums.

Who is stopping a military and strategic enthusiast from posting a well analyzed thought/post/article?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

There are two issues that has been raised as I understand:

GDF: Noise [gdf is a distraction to main forums issue]
Other Forums: Signal [no participation issue]

Topics S/N = 734/279
Posts S/N = 573,370/231618

Now, I did not do the math thread specific within the thread.. check if we can handle it? :)
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

SaiK garu,

If the feedback is true, then majority of Signal generators can and do 'ignore' noise. The only concern is when the noise makers get into the signal threads and create noise there.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

RamaY wrote:SaiK garu,

If the feedback is true, then majority of Signal generators can and do 'ignore' noise. The only concern is when the noise makers get into the signal threads and create noise there.
RamaY may I put it to you that your requested "white paper" did not appear because you are actually ignored by many people, not because people cannot write stuff. Many of your requests are agenda based and every man who answers anything you post gets slapped back with an unanswerable argument. You are on my ignore list, but I saw your posts by mistake when I was not logged in. I am feeling sorry I did that. Need to restore auto-log in or better still avoid all threads that you post in. If you post in the military forum I promise to avoid those threads. You can drive me off on your own simply by making one post in every thread.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

shiv wrote:
RamaY wrote:SaiK garu,

RamaY may I put it to you that your requested "white paper" did not appear because you are actually ignored by many people, not because people cannot write stuff. Many of your requests are agenda based and every man who answers anything you post gets slapped back with an unanswerable argument. You are on my ignore list, but I saw your posts by mistake when I was not logged in. I am feeling sorry I did that. Need to restore auto-log in or better still avoid all threads that you post in. If you post in the military forum I promise to avoid those threads. You can drive me off on your own simply by making one post in every thread.
Shivji, I hope you read this post.

I make a counter offer to you.

I will stop posting in any thread where you write "quality" posts and do not engage in Piskology. The moment you write a piskology post in a given thread, I should get a chance to enter that thread. This offer applies to GDF threads as well.

Not seen by you, I practiced this even before, example is Out-of-India thread.

Deal?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

...and that is exactly what I see as noise. instead of focusing on analysis, we need to focus on what merits the QoS value for anyone who wants to visit BRF without having an id.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Please don't report each others's posts within this thread. There's really no point in it because we leave this thread unmoderated as far as possible. This thread serves as feedback, not just from posters to moderators or vice versa, but also to each other.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Lock the Luvv and Marriage Nukkad thread.

Everyone ganged up on me there, I was called this weak and that, they commented on 'little gagan' (sharam sharam) etc etc.
Those were all I feel kinda posts too.

W/salam
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

:rotfl: What (all) did the feel?

On this happy note, and noting that the thread has become a nukkad or sorts, this is hereby locked. A new thread will appear. Please avoid making it a nukkad, infighting-ring or a discussion board. Keep it for mutual feedback.

Update: Since these eventually degenerate into general discussions, I have created a new thread in GDF for feedback to keep the focus of Mil forum on military matters. I will move this locked thread out of here after some time. The BR Main site feedback thread is also moved out of Mil forum.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Good to see BRF back online. A software upgrade was due as well - I hope this new Look&Feel is thanks to that. Congrats and thanks to all who toiled to bring the forum back.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

It is default phpBB3 theme. Looks good but misses the trademark familiar Forum feel.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

All points to Seetal for the hours toiled for this.

Btw new template/layout is mobile friendly... :) Colours can be changed . No big deal.
jahaju
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jahaju »

after login, in user control panel, board preferences i selected subsilver2 template, the board index link does not function, phpbb logo is displayed instead of BR logo. Your ports, unread posts etc links are functioning. reverted back to prosilver template.

thanks.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

thanks to all who made it possible for the forum to be up and running. One question, what happened even though I have some theories.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Thank you all those who brought the forum back online. Not having BRF online was like missing a part of myself, will be able to sleep well to night
webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site

Post by webmaster »

@ snahata

The old server had a single hard drive with no redundancy i.e. without a RAID system, the drive suffered a physical failure which on its own would have been fine as we do take regular backups of the system. Unfortunately all the recent backups turned out to be corrupted hence we had to send off the failed drive to a data recovery company to recover the data (which is what took us such a long time). Due to the nature of the drive failure we were only able recover around 80% of the data (hence we were unable to recover the full user table).

Lesson learnt hence this new server is now using RAID and more importantly we will doing regular backup restore testing to ensure the integrity of the backup data. Once again thanks for bearing with us!

Regards,
Seetal
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Thanks Seetal. what was the likely reason for the corruption of the back up data?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Thanks to all the people who worked so hard to bring the forums back.

The search by 'author' is working. Unfortunately the keyword search does not seem to be working.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Thanks for putting in the work to bring the forum back. One small request: there was a small group of people who were setup as the BRF Mainsite Crew. I was a member of that group and don't seem to be a member anymore. Would it be possible to set that group up again please.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Armen, I will look into it, time permitting. Do you remember the members ?
TIA.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Any users whose IDs are lost and can identify their posts showing up as dummy IDs, please report so we may try to give you your ID back.