BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
archan
Forum Moderator

BR Forum Feedback

Post by archan »

With an effort to maintain the focus of the Military forum on military matters, and given the tendency of users to turn this into a free-for-all discussion thread, this thread is created here. In any case, feedback is relevant to/from members only and every member can see this thread. To post feedback, one would have to sign in anyway.

PS: I have moved four non-feedback posts to Nukkad thread in an attempt to save this from becoming another nukkad.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by ShauryaT »

Ah, Back. There goes my first one, it was in feedback for main site, thought should be here.
ArmenT wrote: -1 from me saar. Different people have different tastes, I guess. Matter of fact, quite a few of what are deemed as "good posts" are by people who I have on my "ignore list". Unfortunately, the guys that repost those on the "Good Post" thread are not necessarily on my ignore list, which is why I don't bother to visit that thread at all. Maybe it is good reading for some folks, but definitely not my cup of tea. I would much rather prefer to see technical stuff in the Good Posts thread personally, but somehow it seems that long posts containing some italicized SaNSkriTaM in mixed-case English letters or some political analysis is what dominates.
+ 1 to the above. I could not agree more. Maybe the way to go about this "good" posts thread, is to let only Moderators post in it, to serve as a reference and examples of good posts that the forum aspires for, in their view.

Similarly, there should also be a bad posts thread by moderators, where people have been warned and/or posts that moderators view are utterly distasteful for the forum - even if technically no warning/bans are issued.

At least this way the biases will be those of the moderators and serve as a reference for newbies and oldies to either aspire to or avoid. Justified or not, the good posts thread serves as a reference for many and by its verbiages seeks to reflect the best the forum has. I know more work for moderators and easy for me to say :)
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

While i understand 'Good' posts will never be ideally satisfying all sides of the debate, it is obvious that even if there are 2 sides to a debate or more, there will be 'Good' posts depicting the best of both the sides. That is why i said the thread being in an open forum will allow people who read (whatever their debate POV) the best possible perspective of any issue. If one feels that there are longish 'Sanskritized' kind of posts in prominence, why not post some 'good' posts that are not that Sanskritized for example..and even the 'bias'. A compendium of excellently written Good posts seen by semi bored lurkers will spark interest in people joining BRF and taking interest in many matters under discussion. That was the intent in bringing that thread into the open.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

I ran some text analysis on all threads taken together as a corpus - the entire group that can be even remotely connected to "religion" never crossed the 7% level. A hypothesis of > 10% was rejected even at both at 95% significance level.

Sentiment analysis : pro-Hindu/hindutva terminology did not cross 15% even after removal of military and blatantly "technical" economy/tech threads.. Higher proportion was rejected at 95%. .

"Politics" did not cross 24%. Anti-"minority" sentiments [I included even those sentiments that criticized violent actions from self-avowed "minority" groups merely "reacting" in "defence/fear/atrocities-form-hindus"] did not cross 9%.

Now I am still at a loss as to how people formed their conclusions that the forum was going "a certain way" and immediately needed apocalypse/qyamat level course-correction!

Would those voices post some quantitative analysis? Or was this simply an infection from the electoral war zone where specific class of "sentiments" need to be wiped off from any online forum and the fear of rightful rulers re-instilled into doubting Thomases? :P
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

I think there needs to be a forum in here called "BR Projects". This can be for people who want to do something tangible rather than just gupshup. Projects can be discussion over fixing wikipedia entries, translating Urdu Paki newspapers (we had this around 2006) etc etc.

I am sure many smart people here have ideas.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

normally wikipedias are not considered by serioius researchers, especially edus. however, it can be an output of a research.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

KJoishy wrote:I think there needs to be a forum in here called "BR Projects". This can be for people who want to do something tangible rather than just gupshup. Projects can be discussion over fixing wikipedia entries, translating Urdu Paki newspapers (we had this around 2006) etc etc.

You can start a thread on it if you want. Does it have to be a separate forum altogether?
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Dear Mods,

After spending quite some time looking for the right place to post this article, I have failed.

ToI: On world stage, India lets down its child brides

Are the reasons for India not joining simply a matter of vote bank politics or is there more to this that I don't see? I would like to post this in an appropriate thread for discussion and seek your help in finding one.

Thanks.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

KJoishy wrote:I think there needs to be a forum in here called "BR Projects". This can be for people who want to do something tangible rather than just gupshup. Projects can be discussion over fixing wikipedia entries, translating Urdu Paki newspapers (we had this around 2006) etc etc.

Setting up databases of significant events - be it riots/security-incidents/economic tidbits. Not yet clearly outlined - but a kind of pooling together of factoids that are searchable. Sometimes, we need disparate - seemingly irrelevant unrelated data together to even start framing meaningful questions for focused research.

I hope you get my point. Previously research was about gathering data after the question was posed. Now its is about gathering the data first and then creating questions.

Negatives, may quickly grow in size. May need deliberate lowering of censoring barriers to alow as much of info to come in as possible without creating selection bias.

I am not sure - but it might help in security/economic/policy formulations. Note that I am saying this because not all info is public domain, or hidden even if not secret under deliberate obscurity - for example about riots and non-riots. But we may have BRFites filling in on local basis. Many curious and apparently innocent factoids can actually join up in big-data scenario to create profound insights.

I can be of some help in the big-data models and their implementations. I am sure there would be other BRFites perhaps even more qualified for the project. I would be restricted in directly applying codes or feeding in certain types of data myself due to professional restrictions for a couple more of years, but I can help set up algos/codes in "safe" ways now.
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

What happened to the "India's secularism, Boon or Bane" thread?

NEVERMIND..Found it
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

archan wrote:

You can start a thread on it if you want. Does it have to be a separate forum altogether?
Archan, my view is that it should be a separate forum, just like we have GDF, T&E Forum etc. This can be called "Bharat Rakshak Projects". I think should be a burqa forum so that we don't alert Pakis, Cheenis and other trolls as to what we are doing... Unless anyone has a good reason that I can't think of, of why it should be open.

Within this forum, members can open 1 dhaaga each for each project. For example, one can be for "Fixing Wikipedia Entries on the 1971 Bangladesh war" where discussion can go on as to what is wrong, and how to fix it. Someone else might open one on "How to contribute to India's cause using twitter?". The goal should not be just discussion, but to come up with ideas to do something concrete. If the aim is just discussion, it can live in other non-burqa areas.

The reason I think this should NOT be 1 dhaaga in GDF is because we might have several projects going on at the same time and if they all mix up, people will be confused and things will get diluted.

This may be a way forward to make BRF more "actionable". Other ideas/nuances welcome. We used to do this about 10 years ago in various ways, so this may be a way to get back to our roots and become bious again.
Last edited by KJo on 15 Oct 2013 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

KJoishy, creating a forum is a substantial undertaking. It's better to start under GDF and obtain a critical mass of threads before making a case for a forum of its own.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Suraj wrote:KJoishy, creating a forum is a substantial undertaking. It's better to start under GDF and obtain a critical mass of threads before making a case for a forum of its own.
That will work too, but I think it is important to have 1 dhaaga per project and not lump them all together under "BRF Projects" dhaaga. Once there are enough dhaagas, maybe they can live in their own forum.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Sure, lead the way and make the effort work over the course of several months, and we'll entertain the request for a separate forum for it.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Perhaps prefix threads with "BRF Project:". Good thoughts there kJo.

But, make it topic specific.

examples:
BRF Project: Update LCA Wikipedia site.
BRF Project: Update Arjun Wikipedia site.
BRF Project: Arm chaired AMCA specifications
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Saik good suggestion. +1e9
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SaiK, Since this is feedback thread:

Very good non-SaiKlogical suggestion!!!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

That would be first step ramana.. The second step would be to create a study group or even a policy center. Heck, we have enough brains here. If chindu can create one, BRF can create too. It is just a collection of ideas.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I used to push for that in early 2000s. I even had a thread on writing standards and topics.
Glad you see the vision.
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

Moderator ji,
Can we have a separate thread under the T&E forum dealing exclusively with business and General aviation in desh. Firstly, this will be reflective of the industry standard categorisation of B&GA as separate from commercial (civil) aviation.
Secondly, some members inadvertently bring in subjects such as ticket pricing, airport photographs, airport experiences, mile high L&M ideas and such, which tends to shift focus away from Technology and Business aspects of Commercial aviation.
A separate Business & General Aviation dhaga will will bring focus on a niche and (maybe)economically important business segment that is struggling to find its feet currently in desh.
Lastly, RC toy airplanes and UAV tech will be approaching a convergence due to the technology being more available and affordable. Already UAV tech is a sunrise industry in many parts of the world, I am hoping for some similar mini breakout by the industries in desh, and might do us well to keep an eye on it.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ManjaM, Why dont you start with the specific business tracking model in the T&E thread? In the Mil forum we used to have an Indian Aviation thread to track civil aircraft mfg among other things. It didn't have the single minded focus and went astray.
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

Ji Sriman, done and thanks.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Do we have a BRF app for Android and I pad? If not then can it be developed?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

We have asked Seetal to consider enabling tapatalk plugin. We have to wait and see how it goes and what he decides.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

I want to track how silly dumb cliches are running and ruining Indian foreign policy and strategic decision blunders are happening for decades on that ground. This is a topic in itself because the reason of so many dumb FP decisions being given is cliches like 'Can't change neighbors'. I have a preliminary list and some decisions being made in which we are even losing land because of the nonsense drawing room talk cliches in vogue. Must spell them out and create awareness.
member_23651
BRFite

Post by member_23651 »

I an facing issue in Vodafone network. I am unable to access br forums. I can access BR main page but not forums. It seems as if it is being blocked.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Provided we find a developer from among us, what would it require from the BR management?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

member_23651
BRFite

Post by member_23651 »

Thanks Rahul, i have sent an email.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Can some some one tell me how to use the much rumored brf feature of searching just a particular thread (not using print view or not using any archiving tool ?)

Also in the discussion forums page,
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewforum.php?f=20

List of Active threads are displayed to a maximum of just one page's worth, considering the increasing size of brf I suggest one more page length of the list of active threads be made available, especially for users browsing lot of threads with big time gaps in between.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 2#p1532764

JE Menon: Thank you for doing your part to preserve quality.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Suraj, Can you explain how you jumped to the conclusion that "Development Imperative: Ridding India of the Loony Left" was to be a politically-focused thread ??

Would it have been too much to ask of you to have at least posed a question to me as to what the intent was for the thread, and arrived at a decision based on informed judgement ?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The very title of your thread makes an explicit statement about one side of the political spectrum. The decision to lock and trash the thread followed a consensus from multiple admins.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

The title of my thread made an explicit statement on the values and mindset associated with critical Public Policy issues in India. I think there is a distinction here that BRF needs to start recognizing.

Where do you draw the distinction between Public Policy issues and Politics ? The focus of the thread was very clearly on the former, if you read my introductory post. In fact in one of my later posts, I explicitly pointed out to another poster that overt politicization would not be allowed by me on the thread.

I fully agree there should be a level playing ground on the political side (even the NaMo vs the Dynasty thread that I started is even-handed in its title) - but on Values and Public Policy Issues, BRF needs to move on to more sophisticated thinking.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

All of that is besides the point - no politics threads in the strat forum. There's no scope for your thread there.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Suraj wrote:All of that is besides the point - no politics threads in the strat forum. There's no scope for your thread there.
Am trying to telling you the thread was about Public Policy, and not about Politics. Guess the message did not exactly get through...

Oh, well.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

That thread IS about politics - even your title stated as much by explicitly referring to a particular side of the political spectrum, regardless of the other fluff like 'developmental imperatives'.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Suraj - My intention, as was explicitly mentioned in my introductory post, was to discuss the following mindset which is commonly found in India.
1) In Economy - arguing for policies that inhibit growth and the spread of Indian entrepreneurship
2) In the Social sphere - arguing for discredited forms of secularism that promote exclusivist religions at the expense of non-exclusivist ones, and arguing against the leveraging of India's past as a means of invigorating the country for the future
3) In Security matters - hampering India's internal and external security profile with spurious vote-bank considerations
4) In Foreign Policy - looking at International Relations issues through the prism of foreign interests rather than Indian self-interest and promotion of Indian values abroad
5) In Governance - retarding India's progress through actively promoting dynastic, anti-meritocratic, feudalistic elements and parties
We have various different threads that focus on each of the subject areas above - but no 'big picture' thread that ties everything together. We are talking about a mindset here. If you wish to propose a different name for this Mindset, I will be happy to restart the thread with the name that you propose.

I think discussion of this mindset in totality, rather than in disconnected parts without reference to the total picture, is a dire need given the current situation - especially for a site that terms itself 'Bharat Rakshak'.

This is my last request on this issue - if the admins still feel it is not appropriate then let me know and there will be no further discussion.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Arjun, you can't be 'somewhat pregnant' when it comes to discussion of politics on the strat forum. Your thread discusses some aspect of a section of the political class explicitly. Both what you're talking about - which you may allege is not political, and who you are talking about - which certainly is an explicit political group - matters.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

What happened to the "Greetings" threads? I can't seem to find them anymore.Anyway V.happy Diwali greetings to all.May the divine Lord protect and bless our country,all Indians at this festive time and in the year ahead,not to mention patriots of BRF especially!