Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Dennis
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Dennis »

The Jaguar is most likely an IM.
Its starboard gun port is not faired over and it is missing the RWR nose bumps, both characteristic of DARIN -II and -III.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

manjgu wrote:@rkhanna... u dont have a rats idea abt sniper shooting. dont talk abt SOP of a sniper bla bla. this is a very common practice and snipers train this all the time.

Jamwal..with due respect, this is standard sniper drill.

about it not being good for someone shooting back..must remember this is a sniper drill...out of range of small arms fire or enemy observation. so not dangerous as it might seem.
ermm..When did I say something different ?
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

mrameshk wrote:IAF Jaguar IM spotted with Harpoon over the skies of bangalore

Photo Courtesy: Mr. Arnav Pai
Finally...+100 for the spot.

It's an IM, no question.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

What missile is it carrying underbelly Exocet or Harpoon ?
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Harpoon...as the original poster's caption suggests, and the distinctive stubby wings.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Oh I missed that , was not aware of Harpoon got integrated with Jag IM 8)
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

In September 2008, the US DSCA announced India’s official request to buy a package of 24 L-model Harpoon Block II ship-killing missiles, with added GPS guidance and littoral/ land attack capabilities, for up to $170 million.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Ind ... les-05064/
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Thanks Karan , Probably they should also integrate Harpoon Block 2 with upgraded SHAR and MKI
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

MKI wont happen. The Americans would love to have a look at Bars or Russian integration systems - even if they agreed to this venture, and I don't think we'd be too happy with the former. We have gone to the extent of having a training mode developed for the Bars.

SHar is an easier thing to do, since its basically the same radar. As long as the SHar can carry/drop the exocet, rest should be easy to work out.
As matter of fact, I believe the limited number of rounds ordered with the order (24) reflect this limited integration - only on the IMs - since the SHars are probably seen as being on their way out. The MiG-29Ks come with the Kh-35, the MiG-29 UPG have also been seen with them, and the Su-30 MKIs already have the Kh-31. So in terms of AShM capability, we have improved by leaps and bounds. Time was, that the only AShM capability we had was on our larger Tu-142s, with the Sea Eagle on the SHar and Jaguars being a relatively unknown quantity. MiG-27s based off of KKD only had dumb bombs. In the meanwhile, our Il-38s can also carry Urans.
So:

Boeing P-8I, Jag IM - Harpoon
Tu-142, IL-38, MiG-29 UPG, MiG-29K - Kh-35
Su-30MKI, MiG-29 UPG - Kh-31A

Now Brahmos is also entering in service so thats another plus - remains to be seen whether IAF will ask for an ASHm version as well, or stick to the regular.
The Styx coastal batteries (for defensive purposes) should ultimately be replaced with Brahmos as well.

Our issue hence is not shooter platforms - as much as long range (OTH) detection and cueing.
Which brings us to helicopters. We need to increase Ka-31 inventory, and it would be interesting to see which missile replaces the Sea Eagle on our Navy Mk-42 class helicopters. Ideally, we should have gone for Harpoon to minimize logistics costs.

On the other hand, we have such a menagerie of missiles (counting our submarines and ships) that any opfor will be thoroughly confused at what we are launching and countermeasures will be a pain.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

SO i was looking-up MMS' pappi-jhappi with Cheen on MEA's Flickr stream http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaindia/

This imaged dated Sept 17th i didn't get.

Now, Aga Khan isnt an acting or ex-Head of State then how come the VayuSena thoks a Salaam Image to him?

Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Vishal Jolapara wrote: Now, Aga Khan isnt an acting or ex-Head of State then how come the VayuSena thoks a Salaam Image to him?
I don't understand it fully, but i think he's considered a royal and a head of state because of his position within the Ismaili community.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

^^ I think if you saw the whole set it might explain,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaindia/s ... 583445445/
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

I did see the whole set.
So GoI hosted a dinner/reception in his honour + they went to Humayun's tomb which was restored (apparently restored with AK's $¿)
That still doesn't ans my original Q
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

The protocols for who has to be saluted or not, are very subjective in nature...most often based off a gesture of "respect."

As an example, Sandeep Unnikrishan's father may not have earned a salute, till he became martyr Sandeep Unnikrishan's father. Now, if your contention is that the bloke in the picture is not someone who should be respected maybe that deserves its own thread.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:I did see the whole set.
So GoI hosted a dinner/reception in his honour + they went to Humayun's tomb which was restored (apparently restored with AK's $¿)
That still doesn't ans my original Q
For all practical purpose he is a king who can go live in any country he wants.

Just like pope would be considered a royalty and would get the state honors i think Shri Aga Khan ji should get it too.

Plus it pisses off the bakis.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

vdutta wrote: For all practical purpose he is a king who can go live in any country he wants.
He is most definitely NOT a King. His grandfather was conferred the title of "Prince" by the British for his "services" in fighting the Afghans during the Anglo-Afghan wars. The Aga Khan III himself has testified before the SC that the name "Aga Khan" is not a title but rather an "alias" so it has been in India. Even during the British Raj in India - the Aga Khan was lower in "peerage" than compared to nearly a dozen Maharajas, Nizams and others. Under the Indian Constitution his title "Prince" is meaningless, his only identity that can be recognized is as a "religious leader".
vdutta wrote: Just like pope would be considered a royalty and would get the state honors i think Shri Aga Khan ji should get it too.
The Pope is a REAL head of state, he is the head of the Vatican State (a recognized state by the UN). The Aga Khan is NOT the head of any state. The Aga Khan is essentially equal to the Ayatollahs in order of importance in his sect of Shias. And just like the Dalai Lama or the Shankaracharya etc, the Aga Khan is of similar "religious" importance only and not required to be shown state honors.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

The Ismailis, of whom the Aga Khan is the hereditary head, are like the Ahmedis on steroids. Totally outside the Islamic behaviour code, and rarely even perform the haj pilgrimage... The Paks have their knickers twisted beyond recognition about them, but it's rarely out in the public because the community is relatively small, and fairly influential in the aid business... Very entrepreneurial people, and quite well entrenched in various places across the Islamic world as well as India, and in the West - with some quite prominent personalities among its adherents. I think they were even refused to be included in some Islamic Conference Organisation meeting on the future of Islam or something of the sort... Hassan Al Sabah, the founder of the Hashasheen (Assassin) force, was an Ismaili, and the force was founded as a stealthy and effective way of keeping Ismailism alive and protected from threats; which it has been.

Added later: just realised this is way OT. Sorry, no more from me on this here.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Great insight though. Thank you.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

JEM: Didnt they support partition and Pak though? What do you make of their attitudes to non Muslims (re:this intriguing bit "Totally outside the Islamic behaviour code, and rarely even perform the haj pilgrimage) You can reply in any other thread if you feel its OT and link it..
Thanks
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Garma-Garam NauSena Maal

Neptune # 3

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

I was at FLL convention at Boeing museum at renton and saw a P8-I rolling down the runway...
member_27854
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27854 »

Livefist reports first upgraded M2000 for the IAF.

Looks like the new ones do not sport the original black colored radome anymore.

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Interesting that IAF is sticking with the Blue Camo paint scheme. The M2K is be the only aircraft in its service which doesn't sport "Tipnis Grey".
member_27854
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27854 »

The M2000 has had interesting camo's there were few a\c's painted in jungle camo during 1999. I wonder why the M2000 never got the Tipnis gray, may its primary mission profile remained low level strike missions.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

mrameshk wrote:The M2000 has had interesting camo's there were few a\c's painted in jungle camo during 1999. I wonder why the M2000 never got the Tipnis gray, may its primary mission profile remained low level strike missions.
Don't see how the blue camo helps there. But throughout the 90's the M2k was our premier Air Superiority fighter along with the Mig-29. Low level strike wasn't its primary mission back then.

Jungle camo might be useful to hide the aircraft on the ground if the airfield was under attack or from satellites.

BTW, you are referring to this one right? Taken during Kargil.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

I wonder whether the radar is RDY-2 or RDY-3.
member_27854
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27854 »

nachiket wrote:
mrameshk wrote:The M2000 has had interesting camo's there were few a\c's painted in jungle camo during 1999. I wonder why the M2000 never got the Tipnis gray, may its primary mission profile remained low level strike missions.
Don't see how the blue camo helps there. But throughout the 90's the M2k was our premier Air Superiority fighter along with the Mig-29. Low level strike wasn't its primary mission back then.

Jungle camo might be useful to hide the aircraft on the ground if the airfield was under attack or from satellites.

BTW, you are referring to this one right? Taken during Kargil.

Yup, this is the one :D
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Strange. The radome on that upgraded Mirage-2000TH appears to have scuff marks and may possibly be an older used radome. It certainly doesn't match the radome on the Mirage-2000-5 or -9. The -5 and -9 radomes lack the pitot probe as can be seen on the IAF's Mirage-2000TH. Tells me that the aircraft hasn't been upgraded fully as yet and the initial test flights may be for flight testing of other avionics and not the radar.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Karan M wrote:I wonder whether the radar is RDY-2 or RDY-3.
considering the 'bomb' they have charged for the 'upg' i don't expect anything less than RBE 2 AESA. :lol:
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Hi-Res. Clicky
via http://www.aame.in/2013/11/iaf-fourth-c ... es-in.html

you know this thread has gone wildly off-topic when your SDRE Interwebs connection takes no more than a couple of seconds to load the full page :lol:

please x-post post comments to an appropriate thread, sharing only the link here, so that discussions may be pursued there. Let this thread be graphic-heavy onlee

@Mods/Admins
why not state every member posting here must also share a previously unshared pic
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Rambha Sunbathing 8) at Jodhpur

Dabolim

Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Rambha Sunbathing 8) at Jodhpur

[/url]
Michael ne yeh kheench to liya, but its against the law! Clicking photos is strictly prohibited when landing into the airport or at the airport! And he's put it in the public domain. :mrgreen:

I remember landing into Jodhpur and it was amazing to see the kind of hardware that was on display there. Even got to see a few birds take off. Bliss.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

More pictures from Indo-China military exerices:
http://imgur.com/a/oFBkU

ArmenT, take a look at the last one.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Indian Sikh Soldiers dont have any Helmet to protect thier head? And Chinese dont want to learn to fire the INSAS?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
Patka helmets are made specifically keeping Sikh soldiers in mind.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Hi-Res. Clicky
via http://www.aame.in/2013/11/boeing-sends ... -p-8i.html

--------------------------------------------------------
the officer marked number '6', from which country? Arm patch indicates 1-time Commie country. Couldn't find it on Burmese, Vietnamese, Cambodian soldiers, or any other SE Asian ones

click for full pic

from the blog of an RAF Officer attending Staff Course at DSSC

http://berrymanc244.blogspot.com/ncr