World Chess Champion Anand defends his title.

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

World Chess Champion Anand defends his title.

Post by Yagnasri »

useful links.
saravana wrote:I follow chessbomb.com / http://www.chessdom.com for chess events. I find the analysis and commentary really good.

===================
Perhaps a generation change may take place in chess with Anand defending his title at Chennai. I welcome all to participated. There are sites which give live online transmission with analysis. Please check them out.
Last edited by Rahul M on 09 Nov 2013 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added useful links
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Re: World Chess Champion Anand defends his title.

Post by abhischekcc »

IB4TL...

Thanks. Long time since I got this opportunity :P
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Frankly guys should go easy on IB4TLs . Such pointless IB4TLs scuppered what could have been a fun shaving thread .
This thread is quite pertinent in more ways than one and has my vote to stay.
Viswanathan Anand brings honour to the sport, to his nation: Garry Kasparov

CHENNAI: One of the greatest ever chess players, Garry Kasparov, says five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand "brings honour to the sport and to his nation", but predicts a Magnus Carlsen victory in his World Championship clash against the Indian
Predictably Kasparov (who once acted as a trainer to Carlsen in 2009) is rooting for Carlsen - along with the little dose of condescending thrown in.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

abcc, no ib4tl.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

I follow chessbomb.com / www.chessdom.com for chess events. I find the analysis and commentary really good.
Last edited by Comer on 08 Nov 2013 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Why is this in burkha. Needs wider exposure.
It is purely secular. :mrgreen:

Mods please do the honors.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Narayana garu, what do you mean by generation change? Anand has already inspired thousands of Indians over the years. Modi and JJ had introduced chess in curriculum. Kerala and WB were looking into following in those footsteps. Countless parents and children have taken chess to another level.
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

Lilo wrote:Frankly guys should go easy on IB4TLs . Such pointless IB4TLs scuppered what could have been a fun shaving thread .
This thread is quite pertinent in more ways than one and has my vote to stay.
Viswanathan Anand brings honour to the sport, to his nation: Garry Kasparov

CHENNAI: One of the greatest ever chess players, Garry Kasparov, says five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand "brings honour to the sport and to his nation", but predicts a Magnus Carlsen victory in his World Championship clash against the Indian
Predictably Kasparov (who once acted as a trainer to Carlsen in 2009) is rooting for Carlsen - along with the little dose of condescending thrown in.
In one of the previous world chess championships which Anand won against Kramik, Kasparov was rooting for Anand. That was because Kramik had beaten Kasparov in Kasparov's own created world braingames championship.

As for me I think Calrsen has a much better chance of winning seeing his ratings. I hope and pray for Anand's victory. Anand is the only one keeping indian flag flying among the top chess players. Chess is ultimate test of brain power.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

carlsen keeps up ratings by carefully avoiding equal level players as much as he can. stan had done good analysis on that.

head to head anand comfortably leads against carlsen.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Kashyapa Rao :wink: needs a jhapad for all the condescending remarks he made (and IMO believes) in regard to Anand. On more than one occasion (TV shows and even at world economic forum) he made similar such remarks against Anand. For a guy who is frustrated at declining interest in Chess that is strange view when there is so much potential for the game of chess in India /(East). Or is it that game is not the only concern but race also is?
Inshallah..a lot of statements and comebacks to be made should this all go right.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

err, who is he, what did he say and when/where did he say it ? google draws a blank.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

^^Kasparov. I will find the video where he mentions that.

Added later:

I watched this a while back but within this he mentions. He fkd up an otherwise nice show.
Last edited by Satya_anveshi on 08 Nov 2013 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Spelling correction of Kasparov to kashyap rao? :twisted:
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

^ deliberate saar :wink:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ah, got me bowled with a googlie.

kasparov was always considered a bit of an ar$e, unlike say, a karpov or a kramnik.
still, even he helped during anand's fight with 'vaselene' topalov, so universally hated was the guy(or rather his manager danailov).
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Some of our women are good too but not world champions. Koneru humpi and dronavilli harika and a few more kannada and mh women.
Garooda
BRFite

Post by Garooda »

Satya_anveshi wrote:Kashyapa Rao :wink: needs a jhapad for all the condescending remarks he made (and IMO believes) in regard to Anand. On more than one occasion (TV shows and even at world economic forum) he made similar such remarks against Anand. For a guy who is frustrated at declining interest in Chess that is strange view when there is so much potential for the game of chess in India /(East). Or is it that game is not the only concern but race also is?
Inshallah..a lot of statements and comebacks to be made should this all go right.
Agree completely.

Somebody should remind the ch**tiyas from outside India about the history of Chess.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

akashganga wrote:I hope and pray for Anand's victory. Anand is the only one keeping indian flag flying among the top chess players. Chess is ultimate test of brain power.
It is physically tiring too. Of course one cannot/should not compare it with other physical sports. But playing 12 matches is grueling. 5-6 hours a game is not easy thing. Anand has lost 9 kilos for the WC. Check out the sports dhaaga, Anand bikes and swims to keep himself in shape. Carlsen is into soccer, yoga and other training.

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/anand-v ... 19147.html
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Seems like he is lacking a bit of confidence. Hoped to see him being more assertive.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/in-an ... y/1192550/
Four quiet men, wearing earplugs are staring at computer screens and occasionally moving pieces on a chess board in between them. Bowls of cashew nuts and raisins and dark chocolate to feed the brain are all over the place.
There you go guys, now you know how to beat Anand. Man I love all those 3 things, gotta eat them more now. Amma always talked about eating more of lady's finger (okra) for brain power and being good in Maths.

Two women in Anand's life - his mother and his wife, who helped him become what he is now. Hats off to them.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-spo ... 330670.ece
The organisers have engaged three FIDE servers from Turkey and two from Amazon.com. This is in addition to the home servers and one from Russia.

Elaborating on the coverage, Chauhan said, “We have a way of distributing the traffic in such a way that no server gets congested.

“We have a separate server for youtube, with which we have signed an agreement.

“The webcast, live-games as well as live pictures from the playing hall will be beamed to the followers of the game for the first time in any World championship match.”

The hits, on any match-day, are expected to cross the million-mark.

“We are ready for two million hits,” said Chauhan, beaming with confidence, and with a silent prayer.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Rahul M wrote:ah, got me bowled with a googlie.

kasparov was always considered a bit of an ar$e, unlike say, a karpov or a kramnik.
still, even he helped during anand's fight with 'vaselene' topalov, so universally hated was the guy(or rather his manager danailov).
Back in 1985 when Kaspy played Karpy, I was firmly in the Karpy camp. That series was epic.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Why give an Indic name to someone being condescending to an Indian great? Let Kasparov be Kasparov.

All the best to Anand.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

KJoishy wrote: Back in 1985 when Kaspy played Karpy, I was firmly in the Karpy camp. That series was epic.
Me too. Always favored Karpov over Kasparov. Always liked Connors over McEnroe. Just recently realized that Connors is considered a great a$$hole. Heard very good comments about Gelfand.

I love that Anand is the under-dog, and the Western experts have already written him off. Read that even Aruna does not have her phones with her, the logistics manager has their phones.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Swamy, I loved Connors too!!! My all time No 1 player. I would support him against even Krishnan. :oops: I still have many paper cuttings of his matches from the 80s. Worst moment was when Connors lost to Lendl 0-6, 0-6 in 1984 :((
I followed Connors right from 1983 onwards when I began to follow tennis, all the way until the 90s. I liked McE as well to some extent, but far below Connors.
I read the book also.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

unfreaking believable ! DD sports stopped broadcasting the world championship to show some women's rugby match from pune.

anyway, both have started with very conservative openings that mirror each other, with queen side echelons leading to centre and king side castling. I always felt mirroring the opening is bad for black. let's see.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Kasparov can be called arrogant but I am not sure if he harbours anything personal against Anand. His point that Chess is no longer what it used to be is true and a fact. When we were kids we used to follow Chess a lot more Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand and Kamsky were pretty big names in those times too. Fischer , Karpov and Spassky used to be a topic of conversation amongst the intellectual class. In this facebook generation Chess is no longer followed with same fervor which it used to be say 12-20 years ago.
Chess's problem is it has these championship once in a year in a match format and winner gets to defend his title without sweating it out with rest of the field in the candidates tournament so basically you can have a rather lack lustre year and still get to defend your title. Also Blitz format needs to be promoted which Anand is good at.
Last edited by negi on 09 Nov 2013 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

boring match ....
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

10 minutes back I was going to post 'draw before 20 moves'. come back and see carlsen has accepted draw.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Amma's photo is all watching and all encompassing :mrgreen:

The dirty political showmanship of the eastern europeans vying for fide presidentship is schoolboy politics in the land of cut-outs.

Carlsen can have his 15 secs of fame. Its a traversty that one small mistake from Kramnik resulted in us missing out on a match between the 2 best classical players for a long time now, Anand and Kramnik.

I still feel the question between Kramnik and Anand is not settled yet, who is the better one. one match proves nothing. Kramnik beat Kasparov at his peak and Anand has beaten Kramnik at his peak.

Kasparov vs Anand vs Kramnik. Its an unsettled question still. The new kids on the block can chatter away as much as they want but class remains class. Growing up in the 90s my generation had the best of chess. Seeing the likes of Kasparov and Karpov slug it out, young stars like Anand, Kamsky, Kramnik, Topalov come up and the occassional old flames coming up like Fischer Vs Mr.X which would never happen.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

drawn game. Let us see day after tomorrow.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

kasparrov used to coach carlsen..so no surprise of his support...

anand is one of the greatest chess players in world history...magnus is one of the new kids...

this match is similar to the one when anand played kasparrov in early 90s...when anand was the new kid..

plenty of yindians were taught chess early on..but few aspire it to play it as pros...
Last edited by gakakkad on 09 Nov 2013 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

both were quite conservative. to my amateur eyes carlsen made a mistake of not attacking anand's pawn structure straight away. anand pounced swiftly and ate into carlsen's structure next move. the position was by no means conclusive for a draw but carlsen quite clearly had a case of nerves and didn't want to risk midgame with a weak pawn structure. playing with black anand won't have minded.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the way to win these big matches like stalingrad or kursk is either play attritional war and grind your opponent down with superior fitness and staying power at the crease like chanderpaul , dravid , gavaskar.....

or go the rommel/guderian/rokosovksy way and seize the initiative and be totally unpredictable and scary even to your 2nd line of generals and helpers - pulling victories from thin air when least expected and burning the rule book everyday - the mikhail tal / grigory perelman approach. most of their approach to problems probably cannot be documented in algorithmic fashion.....

carlsen looks very good on paper...all the right degrees and AIR#1 JEE Kamdandu scorecard...but the trenches are not a pleasant place..we will see how he shapes up.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

anand combined the two in his match against gelfand. solid defence all along and then suddenly came out of nowhere to inflict the fastest defeat in world championship history in one match.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

she is one of the official commentators.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Anand was boyant after the game answering questions. Some stupid person asked Anand his strategy for the other games. Anand could not believe he was asked that. Bugger must have come after a cricket match conference.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hopefully 100 divs are being moved behind the lines for Op bagration just as the winter snows and mud bring Guderian's panzers to a halt.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Rahul M wrote:she is one of the official commentators.
Wasn't that Tania Sachdev in the Youtube video of the match?