LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

Post by Pratyush »

^^^

Considering that the Dhruv is a mature product & its line is established. How difficult would it be to duplicate the same line for an interested Pvt sector player, for the civilian / military sector. Doubling the production capacity.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^^ And why would they do that as a company?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

indranilroy wrote:^^^^ And why would they do that as a company?
1) Gives the Pvt player a mature product to market.
2) Frees and augments the HAL's production capacity.
3) Further the goal of encouragement for Pvt players. ie. if it is OK for them to make Complete aircraft's as planned by Augusta JV. Aircraft components as planned for the Sikorsky jv for a foreign player, it is Ok to do so for HAL. HAL in turn gets a license fee.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

No company throws away their cash cow like that. Unless required nobody would set up a competing assembly line. License fee after all can only be part of the whole profit.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

indranilroy wrote:No company throws away their cash cow like that. Unless required nobody would set up a competing assembly line. License fee after all can only be part of the whole profit.
The desire is not in throwing the cash cow. Or the PVT player gets exclusive rights to the product. The Idea is to augment the production capability, in order to meet the shortfall of the product, if any.

The Dhruv, was just starting a point as it is mature product with a mature supply line. Which ought to make the duplication easy, thereby easing the learning curve for a potential PVT player.

Compared to say the IJT or the LCA.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Pratyush ji, Indranil is spot on but that doesn't mean you're contemplating the impossible either. HAL will be incentivised to outsource if the financial penalties for not delivering on time are harsh and if the armed forces are allowed to offer such strict terms in a take it or leave it manner. Of course, no contract should be designed to fail, but the carrot and stick policy has to be used.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Yes,2017 for the lightwallah to be inducted.If Tatas can build helo cabins for Sikorsky,it is absurd to still keep out Indian pvt. industry from building helos ,or major portions of the same,which have been fully developed and for which there is a long order book.HAL has apart from more ALHs,the LUH,LCH,armed ALH/Dhruv,Lancer,etc.,etc.At least the smaller sized helos can be hived off to pvt. industry.This will allow HAL to design larger medium and heavy sized multi-role helos for the 3 services.There is a report in AWST of a new heavy helo,which will be the second largest in the world after the MI-26,being developed by a JV between Russia and China.The IN needs at least 100 Sea King size multi-role helos for its warships and the CG too has its needs.However,one sad fact is that not a single helo engine has been developed over decades for any type as yet.neither do there appear to be any momentum by HAL in this area.All our so-called "indigenous" helos will be captive to firang engines.

This beggars a Q.Can the exercise of engine development be handed over to the pvt. sector,since DPSU's efforts have failed to deliver?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Tatas can build helo cabins for Sikorsky
Perhaps OT for this thread, but, are there financial stats for such a deal? Who put in how much, for what (land, etc)? I mean Sikorsky is not going to give Tata a bone - it had to make financial sense to both to make it work. teh question is how did they make it work and India has not figured it out. Or they have figured it out, but are stuck elsewhere? ????
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Philip sir,

I think a lot of us think here that HAL's only mandate is national security. And it should forego everything else in order to meet that end. That is not a fact. HAL is deeply tied to national security, but its first goal is to survive as a profit-making company. And I see nothing wrong in that. In fact it would be fundamentally wrong to take this right away from them and give it to private companies only?

There is nothing stopping Tata from fielding a light helo. In fact the AW deal was to capture the order for 197 helis under the import category. Currently Tata is a build to blue-print company, and a damn good one at that. But currently it still doesn't have the design capability. So it does not have a heli of its own which it can field in the desi category.

However, I have to say. HAL, watch out!
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

NRao wrote:
Perhaps OT for this thread, but, are there financial stats for such a deal? Who put in how much, for what (land, etc)? I mean Sikorsky is not going to give Tata a bone - it had to make financial sense to both to make it work. teh question is how did they make it work and India has not figured it out. Or they have figured it out, but are stuck elsewhere? ????
They are probably angling for the navy medium multi role helicopter deal. Plus the S92 isn't exactly a blockbuster product for Sikorsky either.
prabhug
BRFite

Post by prabhug »

Were is LCH TD3 ??? Looks like the project has hit a pocket
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

abhik wrote:
NRao wrote:Perhaps OT for this thread, but, are there financial stats for such a deal? Who put in how much, for what (land, etc)? I mean Sikorsky is not going to give Tata a bone - it had to make financial sense to both to make it work. teh question is how did they make it work and India has not figured it out. Or they have figured it out, but are stuck elsewhere? ????
They are probably angling for the navy medium multi role helicopter deal. Plus the S92 isn't exactly a blockbuster product for Sikorsky either.
The way the navy's growing, we'll need lots of ASW helos even excluding replacements for our Seakings. Guess who's got the only affordable kit in town ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S ... 0R_Seahawk
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

KrishnaK wrote: The way the navy's growing, we'll need lots of ASW helos even excluding replacements for our Seakings. Guess who's got the only affordable kit in town ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S ... 0R_Seahawk
affordable don't know , but the kind of interference & snooping tactics that "they" use is not that we want to deal with.

we cannot have a compromised platform on/near our strategic assets
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

tushar_m,
looks like nobody's told you about sikular/anti national/sellout congis having sold out our supreme national interest by buying unkil gear already - P8I.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

KrishnaK wrote:tushar_m,
looks like nobody's told you about sikular/anti national/sellout congis having sold out our supreme national interest by buying unkil gear already - P8I.

Krishnak ,

please congis will do what they need to do (to get close to unkil) but our armed forces are no fool.

they know where to show strength (MMRCA an example) & where not to right.

now suppose you implement a security system in your house of xyz company ok , even with your believe in there system will you allow the company employees to wander freely in your house . NO.........

C17 & P8I are good acquisitions but we are not dependent on them , MMRCA & Navy ASW is a different story as we might use them on our AC (ASW) in future.
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

NRao wrote:
Well Tata and Sikorsky have a JV (which means funding is 50% each) for building the cabins in India. I think they went operational a couple of years ago. While Tata's have invested extensively into the project it ultimately makes sense for Sikorsky to manufacture in India since it can use it for both offsets and also get things done at a cheaper price.
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

what hogwash, buying P-8I, C-17s, C-130Js or any other Unkil gear doesn't show any sudden selling out to unkil, they are all great platforms and none currently match their performance, I for one hope for bigger orders of the C-17, C130Js and P-8I (around 30-40 of each).

S-70I and MH-60R have no equals in proven ASW capabilities. They are front runners for MRH Navy competitions. Apache too will be ordered in good number.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

while the NH90 might be a better raw naval helicopter (the seahawk being based off the blackhawk has a peculiar low roof shape), I am sure the user has invested enough over decades to ensure it has the best sensors and kit. export model kit will still be better than underfunded euro developments.

I really wish we could put together a 10t medium helo for both naval and land use and end this cycle once and for all. maybe just copy and clone the seahawk liberally with a turbomeca makila2a or rtm322 powerplant. not attempt great innovations in design but tread a well beaten path and reduce risks.
Leo.Davidson
BRFite

Post by Leo.Davidson »

I'm looking at the Mi-38 which is comparable to the EH-101 and thinking it is the right time to talk joint production with Mil Corporation. Use the Canadian engines due to better after sales service and parts, FADEC controls, etc. Get the Israeli & french to enhance the operation and function of the heli and don't useNIRODH; MASS PRODUCE THAT B_A_S_T_A_R_D -Airforce, Army, Navy, Civil Aviation.

I'd bet my money on it - Mi-38.

Mind the language. You can convey your feelings w/o using such colorful language. rohitvats
Last edited by rohitvats on 23 Nov 2013 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language used.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

News to cheer coming from unavailability of imports ...

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 283462.ece
KOCHI, October 29, 2013

According to top sources in naval aviation, the force will raise its maiden ALH squadron, to be named INAS 322, in Kochi in early November.

The Navy had earlier turned its back on the 5.5 tonne ALH, dismayed as it was over the dimensions of the ‘unfoldable’ helicopter-blade which rendered the otherwise successful platform incompatible for ship-borne operations.

With the platform falling out of favour, all the ALH operated by the Navy were moved to Kochi sometime ago and their role largely limited to search and rescue. In the meantime, the platform was extensively used for trial of the dunking sonar Mihir, a ‘technology demonstrator’ indigenously developed by the Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), an institution under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The lab is currently developing an advanced version of low-frequency dunking sonar, which it is hopeful of inducting into the Navy in future.

“There’s a shortage of helicopters in the Navy in all categories and acquisition processes are moving pretty slow. Which is one of the reasons why the force is contemplating buying more ALHs, which fall in the light-medium category,” said a senior official.

Another senior officer, on condition of anonymity, said with the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya arriving at Karwar in late December/early January, some of the ALHs would be dispatched to Karwar to carry out night-flying operations from the carrier. {1-2 Chetak traditionally do the SAR duty aboard Viraat. Dhruv should be able to replace these}

Meanwhile, the Navy is said to have taken a keen interest in the under-development weaponised version of ALH Dhruv, called Rudra, for conducting coastal surveillance and security operations.

Developed by HAL, the Rudra underwent extensive trials over the sea in Kochi late last year, where its sensors reportedly fared exceedingly well, tracking vessels from as far as 12 to 14 kms.
Formation of the full fledged squadron is a good step. If nothing else, maybe 4-5 squadrons can be devoted to SAR duty at each fixed wing aviation intensive airbase. Perhaps one flight at INS Abhimanyu equipped with Rudras 8)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I would be hoping navy picks up couple of dozen LCH for its amphibs too.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Leading with mettle

Very old interview. Didnt know that HAL has outsourced alot of ALH to private sector.
Our first order from HAL came in 2005 for supplying around 165 components for the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH). Thereafter, HAL has given us more orders, and this year we will be supplying more than 500 of the 800 parts per helicopter that HAL needs. HAL has also entrusted us with supplying sophisticated carbon fibre tools for their new helicopter programme.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

As per my reading at HAL website they have delivered at least -

1) 150 ALH
2) 130 MKI

In 2012 they delivered 74 aircrafts of all types.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

A Sharma wrote:Leading with mettle

Very old interview. Didnt know that HAL has outsourced alot of ALH to private sector.
Our first order from HAL came in 2005 for supplying around 165 components for the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH). Thereafter, HAL has given us more orders, and this year we will be supplying more than 500 of the 800 parts per helicopter that HAL needs. HAL has also entrusted us with supplying sophisticated carbon fibre tools for their new helicopter programme.
Contrary to popular belief of one monolithic company doing everything in-house, HAL and DRDO rely on many (couple of thousands) private Small/Medium Enterprises (SMEs) for various parts and materials. SMEs compete on open tenders for orders and outsource some of their share of work to other SMEs too.

When people talk about privatising, they are talking more about creating an equivalent to HAL - a vertical integrator in the likes of Reliance, etc. In either case, a lot the work will be outsourced to SMEs.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

It seems MH60R beats S70i in attitude by 3 times :shock: inspite of carrying more weight:

S70i = 4300 feet
MH 60R = 11,750 feet

Maximum gross weight
S70i = 22,000 Pounds
MH 60R = 23,500 Pounds

Useful Load
S70i =8000 Pounds
MH 60R = 9000 Pounds

Although S70i seems to have more powerful engines, still :?:

Rest seems to be almost equal, cabin space, widhth height etc. :
http://helicopters.findthebest.com/comp ... 0S-SEAHAWK
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Katare wrote:As per my reading at HAL website they have delivered at least -

1) 150 ALH
2) 130 MKI

In 2012 they delivered 74 aircrafts of all types.
HAAL 130MKI +50 Russia - 3 crashed, so IAF fleet of SU 30MKI is about 177. How many sqaudrons, I think each squadron will have 16+ 3 replacement =19 aircraft. So IAF must be converting its 10th sqaudron to MKI and retiring MIg 21 M's I suppose.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Second LCH prototype completes successful sea-level trials
Bangalore: The second prototype (TD-2) of Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) successfully completed the sea-level trials at Air Force Station, Tambaram in Chennai, last month. A product of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the LCH -- painted in camouflage colours -- had the trials from October 28 to November 23. The extensive trials were carried out to validate the design improvements implemented on the prototype based on the feedback from initial sea-level trials carried out during June 2012.
A company official told Express that a total of 32 flights were carried out covering helicopter performance, load measurement, handling qualities for various all-up weights (with external stores installed), bank turns and spot turns, low speed handling, single engine performance and auto-rotation. “Considerable improvements have been observed in the performance parameters in comparison with the earlier sea-level trials. All the test points planned were completed successfully with no major snags observed. Representatives of customers and certifying authorities were present during the trials,” the official said
check out the link for story and pics ...
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The fairing of the tail landing gear has changed since AI'13.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

S70i ceiling of 4500ft is surely wrong. thats barely 1.5km. convert to meters and it makes sense.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Really annoying to see these journalists putting up their highly intrusive watermarks in even the press release photos. If they don't own the photographs, they shouldn't spoil it by putting their watermarks right in the middle.
:|
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

@Jamwal - here are the pics again !
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Thank you Hari Sir! Been a long time since you posted.

Can you please give more insights into the testing? How is it progressing? Is there any reason more prototypes weren't built to continue testing? Is it on track for IOC in 2015? What are the parameters to be met for IOC and FOC?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks a lot ! any prediction about when TD3 is going to roll out ?
we would also love to know about how the weight reduction is going.
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

You are welcome!
You could check out the Press Release reproduced at http://tarmak007.blogspot.in/
-your Qs are answered there!!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Wow what a beauty. Must say the fit and finish seems to be exceptional. Kudos to you and all the other folks working on it.

This plus the AF Akash & also the Pragati displayed at ADEX all look very well made.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Hari Sir, it didn't have any numbers, only vague comments, perhaps intentionally so.
hence my question.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Looks great! Hair Nair sir, any CAD image or outline diagram of the TD-3? Want to see the new canopy that you had referred to earlier.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Thank you Nair sahib
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

And new armored plates. Nice.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Hari Saar,
I have always wondered what advantage can you gain by having ability to summersault or roll 360 degree? Can LCH do it now or will it do it in future? May be it's just a stunt and not worth the effort?