Indian Real Estate Sector

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Real Estate Sector

Post by Bade »

IIT-Madras engineers showcase low cost housing model: 800 sq ft house for Rs 10 lakh
NEW DELHI: Believe it or not, researchers at Indian Institute of Technology, Madras have developed a unique method where one can construct a two-bedroom house of 800 square feet for a cost of just Rs 10 lakh.

The researchers from the civil engineering department have been working on the project for over a decade and have constructed a two-storey building to showcase the technology they developed to build rapid, cost-effective mass housing using glass fibre reinforced gypsum (GFRG) panels.

The researchers have constructed a 'model housing apartment' inside the IIT-M campus comprising four flats in a two-storeyed building. Interestingly, this method of construction is not only less expensive, but also less time consuming as the 'GFRG demo building' was constructed by the IIT team in just a month. Since 2003, the IIT-Madras research team had conducted extensive studies on the use of these panels as structural members for all components of the building, including earthquake resistant design. These panels, originally developed by RBS Australia, were intended as wall panels ('Rapidwall') suitable for rapid erection of walls in buildings to carry gravity loads.

The panels are made of calcined gypsum plaster, combined with special additives and glass fibres, to produce GFRG panels - 12m long, 3m high and 124mm thick (with hollow cavities). The IIT-M research group extended the application of this product for the entire building system - including floors, roofs, and staircases, thus significantly reducing the consumption of reinforced cement concrete (RCC). The team also collaborated in the indigenous development of an excellent water-proofing material, which is essential for prolonged durability of the GFRG panels, especially in the case of roofs and toilets.

The GFRG panels for the 'demo building' at IIT-M have come from the plant of FACT-RCF Building Products Ltd, Kochi, using reprocessed gypsum from FACT. The building has four units, making up a total built-up area of 1981 square feet - two flats with a carpet area of 269 square feet each, intended for the economically weaker section (EWS), and another two, with a carpet area of 497 square feet each, intended for the low-income group (LIG). The plans can be replicated horizontally (in plan) and vertically (in elevation) in mass housing projects. This demonstration building will also be used by another research group at IIT-Madras working on decentralized solar photovoltaic systems with Direct Current (DC) appliances, to demonstrate savings in electrical energy consumption.

Bhaskar Ramamurthi, director, IIT-M said:"The GFRG building, which is fit for occupation, showcases the efficacy of the rapid affordable construction technology developed at IIT-M, and is replicable for mass housing, vertically and horizontally. The use of prefabricated light-weight GFRG panels not only implies faster overall construction time but also a safer working environment. The cost of the construction, with all amenities, has been reduced to about Rs 1,250 per square foot." The panels are prefabricated and cut to desired sizes based on room dimensions with openings for doors and windows, thus making rapid construction possible.

A panel has two skins of 15 mm thickness that are interconnected at regular intervals (250 mm) with 20 mm thick ribs. The cavities formed by these interconnections can be used for several purposes - filling with concrete, and laying electrical conduits and plumbing pipes. Explaining the building concept, Devdas Menon and A Meher Prasad of civil engineering department, IIT-M said: "Filling the cavities with concrete increases the vertical load-carrying capacity almost tenfold, and inserting vertical steel bars in these cavities, contributes to their earthquake resistance.

In a multi-storeyed building, the number of concrete-filled cavities and steel bars can be reduced at the higher floor levels. When used as floor slabs, reinforced concrete beams can be embedded and hidden in some of the cavities, as per the design. The overall weight of the structure and consumption of concrete comes down significantly. Conventional plastering is eliminated."
When will such technologies start being used in mid and upper segment housing too now that material can be sourced locally from within India.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

While it might help a little bit, it is no panacea for Indian situation land prices being what they are.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Just wanted to post it here to show how the lure of tourism money is so great for builders and authorities to have allowed a ruthless spate of construction in the higher reaches of the state.

Uttarakhand: Hundreds of buildings washed away were illegal
More than 300 multi-storey buildings, hotels, shops and other business establishments, built on ecologically-sensitive areas close to Ganga and its tributaries like Alaknanda, Mandakini, Bhagirathi, Kali Ganga and Gauri Ganga, which were swept away or were extensively damaged due to flash floods, were illegally constructed.

"Documentary evidence with the department of town planning indicates that most of these structures, including 60 hotels in Chamoli and Rudrapryag, were built in blatant violation of norms laid down by the department," said a senior Uttarakhand government official.

A survey by a 10-member team of officials in the town planning department a few years ago revealed most of these structures were built before Uttarakhand was carved out in 2000. Owners of these hotels and houses did not bother to obtain permission from competent authorities like district magistrates and sub-divisional magistrates before building these structures in the ecologically-sensitive areas close to rivers.

DMs and chairmen of development authorities in all the 13 districts have begun identifying illegal hotels and buildings close to the Ganga and its tributaries which were ordered to be demolished by a HC directive two months ago.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/che ... epage=true

I am sure RE market will be hit on the news. nice time to buy in chennai
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I need help from people who know kannada. I can read to some extent, but very minimal to identify certain characters.

http://www.karnataka.gov.in/karigr/Valu ... 0VALUE.rar
01 - Jayanagar _05-104_.pdf

Here, I am looking for land guidance value at BTM Layout. there are three columns.. what are those?
TIA
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

thank you marten, let me drill down see if I can get some use of it.

ps: it does not return any value for me.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Guys, Any guidance on buying a 3 BHK Appt/House or Land in Bangalore. The budget for the house INR 50 Lakhs (Not sure if this is even practical) and idea is to buy something within the city and not go out to places like new Airport or way down Electronic city.
I am looking for something which is move in ready or can be made ready in 4-5 months.
Now that I have surrendered to MNC's and figured that my future probably is tied to Silicone City only.

Any guidance is appreciated.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

VikasRaina wrote:Guys, Any guidance on buying a 3 BHK Appt/House or Land in Bangalore. The budget for the house INR 50 Lakhs (Not sure if this is even practical) and idea is to buy something within the city and not go out to places like new Airport or way down Electronic city.
I am looking for something which is move in ready or can be made ready in 4-5 months.
Now that I have surrendered to MNC's and figured that my future probably is tied to Silicone City only.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Sire, I recommend Uttarahalli area (South-West Bangalore). Its approx 9-10 km distance from Majestic (Busstand) and is developing pretty fast with every major bank having branches, pretty good connectivity and tons of schools and eateries. You can check out Siri Homes (no website) and you may get 3BHK house in the range of 30-40 lakhs depending upon the area. But it will take anywhere between 12-18 months for completion of that project. If you are a tech coolie, search areas near ITPL or Bannaregatta Road, since they are near to the SW hubs. May be some senior members have better ideas.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

This article says that FIIs were allowed to invest in Indian real estate starting 2005. That coincides with the start of the rapid run up in prices.

A housing slump in India
a large international real estate investment firm started in 2005. That was the year India began allowing foreign institutional investors into its real estate market.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The good news on falling prices is met with much groaning and moaning.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busi ... 479932.cms
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Bade wrote:The good news on falling prices is met with much groaning and moaning.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busi ... 479932.cms
Nothing can go up forever, regardless of what the India Shining brigade says.
So this is actually healthy if true, and better than a big big crash down the road like what happened in the US.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

There was a ToI artcile which mentioned Dilli Billis crying over having to do price-cut of 2 crores over a 10 crore property. Wonder what it is like where people can actually buy in the 50L+ but much less than 1 crore range.

B'lur seems to be reporting also a 15-20% correction. But the developers are still spamming me with pricey quotes.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

I’m curious what it really costs these builders to slap these things together in India. In the USA builders work on 20%-30% construction margins with heavy marketing and sales costs. So actual margin tends to be quite low. 2%-3% margin is not unusual. Anyone know what the actual margins are for the builders?

I have before me a construction critical path document and I’m looking at the labor estimates to construct a condo here in the USA in an earthquake prone area. Right now for a 2400 sqft condo the estimate is 1300 man hours. Or roughly 162 days for a single person. Or roughly 1 month for a crew of 5 persons. So I wonder what the labor requirements are as well?
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

I do not know about the practice of charging and hence the margins of builders in rest of India but in the suburbs of mumbai while the builders charge you on "Super Built up" basis the actual area given is carpet, that is 100% Profit on 20% area.Note that the difference can be 33% in super built up area calculations but i have taken just 20% (Built up) to account for the construction the builder has to do for common areas (on passage ways, terrace etc).
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Indian real estate and loan pricing is daylight robbery. We need clear regulations. Builders can only charge for actual carpet area, loan payments start only on property registration complete, daily avg rate on interest calculation, proper escrow companies, title insurance etc. etc.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

kmkraoind wrote: Sire, I recommend Uttarahalli area (South-West Bangalore). Its approx 9-10 km distance from Majestic (Busstand) and is developing pretty fast with every major bank having branches, pretty good connectivity and tons of schools and eateries. You can check out Siri Homes (no website) and you may get 3BHK house in the range of 30-40 lakhs depending upon the area. But it will take anywhere between 12-18 months for completion of that project. If you are a tech coolie, search areas near ITPL or Bannaregatta Road, since they are near to the SW hubs. May be some senior members have better ideas.
Please check thoroughly before you look at Siri. There's a property called Rainbow Waterfront opposite Uttarahalli lake which has a new block coming up. Looks pretty well built. There's also a Mantri property (Alpyne) coming up a kilometer down the road near RNSIT. But 50 lakhs for a 3BHK will be a stretch there. A caveat, there was water shortage in Uttarahalli this year. Water abundance in South Bangalore is no longer a certainty.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I challenge the BJP party to put in their manifesto to reduce the property tax to a flat 4% on actual transaction. no black, and if found of any cash transaction not on papers, shall be confiscated. no transaction is without a bank involvement, and no property can be purchased on cash, except for gov fees and stamp papers.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

New Delhi’s Dengue Fever Problem

Since most mosquitoes will fly lower than 40 feet, one way to control this problem is to update building codes so residential apartments are required to be at least 40 feet off the ground. Probably easier done in urban areas where those levels can accommodate parking garages.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

SaiK wrote:I challenge the BJP party to put in their manifesto to reduce the property tax to a flat 4% on actual transaction. no black, and if found of any cash transaction not on papers, shall be confiscated. no transaction is without a bank involvement, and no property can be purchased on cash, except for gov fees and stamp papers.
Why BJP?
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

How much land we need to house all in Mumbai\Delhi\India? 15% , 5% and 1% only !!!

Mumbai has some 5-6 zones, of which Greater Mumbai is the densest with population density of 20000 per sqkm. Pls grab calculator or excel, and start google to verify the calculations\data I am giving

Lets say we decide to give living space of 200 sqft per person = 1000 sqft per family of five members. It will NOT be free at all. They will all buy with their own money. But how much land do we need? And does mumbai has that much land?

Lets take FSI of 3.

Now population of Greater Mumbai = say 1.3 crore
so sqft construction housing area we need = 1.3 crore * 200 sqft/person = 260 crore sqft = approx 26 crore sq-meter
Say floor space index as per law is = 3
So land we need = 26/3 = 8.67 crore sq meters
Land area of Mumbai = 603 sqkm = 60.3 crore sq-meters

So land of mumbai needed = 8.67/60.3 = below 15%

So 15% land is enough to provide houses problem to ALL persons living in the densest area in India !!

If one does same calculations for Delhi etc, he may find than 5% of land with FSI of 3 is enough to provide housing to all. And for India, 0.5% of land is sufficient.

So why is land so expensive even for someone who wants mere 200 sqft per person or mere 1000 sqft per family of five? Thats ONLY because of land hoarding ONLY. Solution? Wealth Tax and Inheritance. Pls see chap-25, and chap-5 of http://rahulmehta.com/301.htm . Wealth tax of 1% will bring down the land prices to a point that even a laborer earning mere Rs 10000 per month will be able to buy land\flat on his own with his own savings. Further, as land pries reduces, more businesses will come which will increase employment and increase salaries.

The whole idea of Govt providing low cost housing is non-sense. Because such houses are of extremely poor quality, and the societies run into maintenance problems for lifts and water. The plumbing, electricity etc is of worst quality. Instead, its best that Govt makes laws which ensure that land hoarding doesnt happen. Govt should make some laws to reduce water wastages, lift usage etc How? Water usage can be reduce by water metering. And lift usage can be reduced by metering lifts, and making law that stair case step height will be no more six inches. And maintenance collection should be via direct deposit from salary/bank account to society account. This will be sufficient to improve housing.
member_28173
BRFite

Post by member_28173 »

[quote="Rahul Mehta"]How much land we need to house all in Mumbai\Delhi\India? 15% , 5% and 1% only !!!

Me seems to be fan of Rahul Mehta.

I agree that Mumbai can safely provide HOUSING and also JOBS for 2 Crore people if laws and systems are RIGHT.

We just need few ROADs and Mumbai will be back in business. Me Mumbaikar :)
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Theo_Fidel wrote:I’m curious what it really costs these builders to slap these things together in India. In the USA builders work on 20%-30% construction margins with heavy marketing and sales costs. So actual margin tends to be quite low. 2%-3% margin is not unusual. Anyone know what the actual margins are for the builders?

I have before me a construction critical path document and I’m looking at the labor estimates to construct a condo here in the USA in an earthquake prone area. Right now for a 2400 sqft condo the estimate is 1300 man hours. Or roughly 162 days for a single person. Or roughly 1 month for a crew of 5 persons. So I wonder what the labor requirements are as well?

Dont know where you live, but currently it is much cheaper to purchase a used one. Or refurbish a old house.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

No one touches a green field real estate project in India with less than 25% pre tax Equity IRR.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Further, the builders make money by purchasing land much in advance at low prices. By the time area and land become suitable for development, the land would have appreciated by a minimum of 100%. The final product would be priced based on this latest valuation. Effectively, the developer makes profits even before the project us off the ground. It is another matter that end product is priced at higher land valuation with further profits margin built into it. All Maya onlee!!!!!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

also builders being 3 houses where only 2 can be done, they somehow manage to squeeze every inch out, makes for additional profit, these days i dont even see mandatory vacant area that is supposed to be left around the place.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

^^^ End result is the whole town looks like a mega concrete slum. Sad.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

krishnan wrote:also builders being 3 houses where only 2 can be done, they somehow manage to squeeze every inch out, makes for additional profit, these days i dont even see mandatory vacant area that is supposed to be left around the place.
Well, that is an over generalization.

Yes, the developer community is as corrupt as they come and they indulge in all sorts of malpractices but what you suggest is an exception and not the norm.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

krishnan wrote:these days i dont even see mandatory vacant area that is supposed to be left around the place.
In my home town a builder has offered the vacant area (which is ideally meant for fire engines to come in, if the place catches fire) as the car park. And neatly charged 1 lakh on this ground :evil: . The rumours are that builder too is not doing great, and have started selling out a few of his projects to other builders. The people are all basically fund jugglers who roll the money in fancy ways. But when things go wrong, it is a deep mess at that time.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Lot of good development with respect to Office space segment in India is courtesy the IT/ITES sector and the standards it has enforced on the developers.

Companies like IBM, Accenture, Cisco and others have a very evolved corporate real estate policies for work places and the specifications of the buildings they take on lease reflect these requirements. These companies have a policy where the safety of an employee within certain meters of the workplace is the responsibility of the company and hence, requirement specifications are meant to ensure this aspect is enforced.

While the National Building Code and fire-safety norms have existed for many years, it is the end user requirement which has forced developers to adopt these. The technical check-list for a company runs into multiple pages and but for the technical team of the builder, even developer cannot understand/fill these. IBM used to have annual training modules to explain and teach their checklists and transaction SOP to account manager(s) from Cushman & Wakefield India - which globally manages real estate requirement for IBM. Just as an aside, this company has the exclusive leasing and marketing rights for the one of the freedom towers.

Most of the big names in IT/ITES and financial space are global or regional mandates of one of the six International Property Consultants (IPC) in India - Cushman & Wakefield, Jones Lang LaSalle, CB Richard Ellis, Knight Frank, Colliers and DTZ. The first three are the big brothers with most of the corporate real estate accounts like IBM, CISCO, Accenture etc.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

A friend of mine who bought/sold flat in Estonia told me about Estonian law that, when A sales land to B for price P, then within 30 days, govt can acquire land from B for price P plus 5% !! This law removed unaccounted cash from real estate deal overnight !!!

I have been supporting/demanding/proposing this law since 1998. Can any BRFites get more info on this Estonian law?
Adrija
BRFite

Post by Adrija »

RM ji, such a law already exists- the government can step in and purchase any property at the declared price. was used by V P Singh when he was FM IIRC
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^The land acquisition act cannot be applied arbitrarily. The mess that one witnessed in Noida extension and what has just happened in Gurgaon is because of misuse of this act by state governments in collusion with developers. Basically, the government using the provisions of land acquisition act acquired the land for 'public use' and then sold it to developers. Of course, there was a huge difference in what the government paid and what the developers would have paid if they had acquired the land directly from landlords in open market.

So, no, you cannot just go about acquiring people's properties. There has to be a cause behind it - like how it happens in case of highways, railway lines and widening of the roads etc.
kumarn
BRFite

Post by kumarn »

Removing capital gains tax from real estate and lowering stamp duty is the only option in India if you want to remove black money from real estate.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Rahul mehta : ... The wealth tax of 1% above 250sqft land per person and 500 sqft per person construction, and deemed auction at the time of sale are sufficient to remove black money in real estate. I see no need to remove capital gains tax. I agree with removal of stamp duty as it decreases liquity and substitute it by wealth tax

Theo_Fidel]: Wealth tax of 1% would bankrupt the large majority of middle class India. Introduce it slower. Say. 0.005% for 10 years then 0.01% for 5 years and so on. Compared to most other places stamp duty in India is quite low. I paid just over 6% last year. My advice to folks is cough it up. Taxes run the country. In USA for other than your own house capital gains is your highest tax bracket, usually 30% or more.

SRoy: He wants commoner likes us to pay 1% property tax (annually?) when we already are under housing loan debts in an economy which is clearly employment unfriendly. We will end up extending our loan tenures (that is if we survive lay offs).
Please read whole para. My proposal is wealth tax of 1% per year of market value on land above 250sqft per person land and above 500 sqft per person of construction . Now pls re-read the exemption limits, and pls see that it is per person. And senior citizen above 60 years will have twice the limit and those above 75 years will have 3 times the limit and those above 85 years will have 4 times the limit. So husband, wife, 2 kids and one senior parent will have 1500 sqft land and 3000 sqft construction exempt, be commercial or industrial or residential. Further, in the proposal I made, the tax will be higher of the two (30% of rent or 1% of market value) but not both. In addition, if property is commercial or industrial, then taxes he pays such as electricity tax, 10% of PF of his employees etc will be deducted. Initially, market value will be circle rate and later it will be revised.

So only land hoarders will be adversely effected by this wealth tax. Further, with this tax, urban land prices will crash to below 20% of what it is now within 3 months. (or we will have enough tax that we can get rid of income tax, sales tax, vat , stamp duty etc) So on real users, this tax will NOT be much. Further, collapse of land prices will increase employment, business and thus increase income tax.

The housing loan mess is because land prices increased and people had to take loans. The wealth tax on land will crash land prices and so people will be able to buy small flats without loans.
Last edited by Rahul Mehta on 25 Jan 2014 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

RM,

Wealth tax of 1% would bankrupt the large majority of middle class India. Introduce it slower. Say. 0.005% for 10 years then 0.01% for 5 years and so on.

Compared to most other places stamp duty in India is quite low. I paid just over 6% last year. My advice to folks is cough it up. Taxes run the country. In USA for other than your own house capital gains is your highest tax bracket, usually 30% or more.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

RM is either joking or is anti-commons.

He wants commoner likes us to pay 1% property tax (annually?) when we already are under housing loan debts in an economy which is clearly employment unfriendly. We will end up extending our loan tenures (that is if we survive lay offs).

What RMji? Did you get bribed by MNC banks to write this? :)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Are housing loans repayments (interest part) tax-deductible in India? Then yes, some property tax certainly makes sense as long it goes to the municipality better still to the locality.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

There is tax, but not 1%.

1% is a huge amount, if one goes by the property prices in metros.

The place where I live is one of the well off areas in my city. The residential area comprises flats that were allocated to middle class people in early 80s, majority of them govt. employees. Being a planned area with no/minimal encroachments, malls, metro line the property prices have escalated like anything and so is the municipality's valuation of the same.

Now these original flat owners are pensioners, and in most cases their kids have migrated out. Do we expect these people to be able to pay 1% property tax?

As a matter of fact some people have already moved court against recent property evaluation.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Rahul mehta : ... The wealth tax of 1% above 250sqft land per person and 500 sqft per person construction, and deemed auction at the time of sale are sufficient to remove black money in real estate. I see no need to remove capital gains tax. I agree with removal of stamp duty as it decreases liquity and substitute it by wealth tax

Theo_Fidel]: Wealth tax of 1% would bankrupt the large majority of middle class India. Introduce it slower. Say. 0.005% for 10 years then 0.01% for 5 years and so on. Compared to most other places stamp duty in India is quite low. I paid just over 6% last year. My advice to folks is cough it up. Taxes run the country. In USA for other than your own house capital gains is your highest tax bracket, usually 30% or more.

SRoy: He wants commoner likes us to pay 1% property tax (annually?) when we already are under housing loan debts in an economy which is clearly employment unfriendly. We will end up extending our loan tenures (that is if we survive lay offs).
Please read whole para. My proposal is wealth tax of 1% per year of market value on land above 250sqft per person land and above 500 sqft per person of construction . Now pls re-read the exemption limits, and pls see that it is per person. And senior citizen above 60 years will have twice the limit and those above 75 years will have 3 times the limit and those above 85 years will have 4 times the limit. So husband, wife, 2 kids and one senior parent will have 1500 sqft land and 3000 sqft construction exempt, be commercial or industrial or residential. Further, in the proposal I made, the tax will be higher of the two (30% of rent or 1% of market value) but not both. In addition, if property is commercial or industrial, then taxes he pays such as electricity tax, 10% of PF of his employees etc will be deducted. Initially, market value will be circle rate and later it will be revised.

So only land hoarders will be adversely effected by this wealth tax. Further, with this tax, urban land prices will crash to below 20% of what it is now within 3 months. (or we will have enough tax that we can get rid of income tax, sales tax, vat , stamp duty etc) So on real users, this tax will NOT be much. Further, collapse of land prices will increase employment, business and thus increase income tax.

The housing loan mess is because land prices increased and people had to take loans. The wealth tax on land will crash land prices and so people will be able to buy small flats without loans.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

^^^

RM. It appears you misunderstand property tax. It is based on property not people occupying it. Now you can classify differently based on use, residential, religious, commercial, industry, etc but no where is it affect by number of occupants! By your proposal every single area will turn into a slum as people cram in 10-15 per residence to avoid tax.

Everyone must pay property tax, just as everyone uses all the services, there can be no exemptions, otherwise there is no point.