India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by SSridhar »

amit wrote:There's one problem with the scenario Nesoji. If we assume that this was a local hachet job by the Mays then that brings into question the role of the US Amby. If she didn't know about something like this then it calls into question her competence. And if she did know then it's inconceivable that her bosses in SD didn't know.

No sir the Mays are the sacrificial bakhras being offered to protect the higher ups.
Let us remember two things here. The US State Deptt was fully in the loop right upto the very top as the Spokeswoman admitted herself. Two, if it was a local rogue operation, it would not have been allowed to go this far on an issue that is not central to the Indo-US relationship. The US side clearly was unwilling to act quickly and douse the fire and there was hard bargaining till the very end.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

This fellow was the muscle part of the CIA : Operations
Yes. I do think you are right. As some one said, a goon in a suit. A zoot suit would be more appropriate for him.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

chaanakya wrote: Isloo made US withdrew Isloo station chief in hurry.
And, twice in succession, at that.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

vina wrote:You couldn't be more wrong. Political behavior of the state is usually never reflective of underlying society's values , especially in international relations and towards others outside their borders. For eg, France did "Liberty, Equality and Fraternity" for its people and then had colonized close to half the world. England had the Magna Carta , but set up a crushingly cruel and exploitative empire (including slave labor) in an Empire were the sun never set. For eg, in America, the soaring oratory in the constitution "We hold it self evident that all men are created equal by their maker etccc............." in parallel saw the most horrific slavery in modern times for some couple of 100 years after that no full liberty and rights until some 50 years ago, why much of that soaring principles were themselves written by slave owners. Similarly, you can argue that much of the Indian constitution which is hugely emancipatory and even cathartic in terms of liberation from oppression for untold millions was written by folks who were themselves casteist,oppressive and whatever adjective you can find. The point is , guiding values live on, and society changes for the better in the long run , of course with the exception of places like Pakiland where the aim is to go back to 6th Century and hence regresses.
In both your examples the country only did good for their own people while treated the rest like dirt just like what America does but where were the people coming from in these countries who were treating the rest like dirt ??? The same society that you claim is independent of the political views of the state. So basically their societies were serving their own interests without caring/overlooking for what their own people were doing towards the rest of the world. This means that the society was also accomplice in the bigotry that the rulers of their nation were displaying/indulging in and hence you cannot absolve the society for the political behaviour of their masters. A fair and just society will never choose bigots as their political leaders in the first place and if they do then that society isn't fair and just.
vina wrote:Refer back to the previous long winded answer. You should learn to disconnect the average Joe Six Pack American , from the political animal called the US Govt (though the US Gov shouts from the rooftops about values reflected from the people etc..) . Our own folks in the Independence movement knew that fact and we were friendly with the British people, Gandhi, Nehru, you name it.. And Nehru even bonked Edwina ,the Viceroy's wife :shock: !
It's easy to form views about an American individual whom you know but you cannot magnify that and tell that the entire society is like that as well so how does an average pandu Indian judges what constitutes the American society ??? By seeing the actions of their political overlords since as I said before a fair and just society will never choose bigots as their masters and if they are doing that then they aren't fair and just as you are painting them to be.

Nehru was only after one thing i.e. power he had no interest in Indian independence and used Gandhi to achieve his goal and what friendly British people are you talking about ??? Please show me some proof regarding your claim of British society being pro Indian independence at that time.
vina wrote:Bottomline, interstate relations and govt is messy and sometimes dirty business. But you can and must have basic mutual respect and civility and we should fully insist on it from both sides!
The underlined portion comes only if the society you have been brought up in teaches you to do so and how America treats other "darker" nations is out their for everybody to see.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

SSridhar wrote:Let us remember two things here. The US State Deptt was fully in the loop right upto the very top as the Spokeswoman admitted herself. Two, if it was a local rogue operation, it would not have been allowed to go this far on an issue that is not central to the Indo-US relationship. The US side clearly was unwilling to act quickly and douse the fire and there was hard bargaining till the very end.
Agree .. when I read the PTI report to the effect "If Indians are furious, we too are furious" or some such shit I left shaking my head. Try all they might I am not going to forget SD spokeswoman confirming Curry being in the loop at all stages right from the start and DK's arrest was approved by BDS with approval from the top. I will keep reminding everyone of this basic fact if the matter is discussed in front of me or brought to my notice.

Never forget and never let others forget.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

The TOIlet report has good decent publicity it seems.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Guys Is there a name for the NSA types who monitor BR ? We really need a nice name to tell him hello like when he squirelled across to get the FB page deleted. It is pretty amusing to see how they don't understand various countries-may be thought that these vegetarian $apists will rush the US Embassy like Benghazi. If it gave them shivers and made them run to delete the posts -well serves them right but also shows how poorly they understand their host countries be it Libya or India.
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

prasannasimha wrote:Guys Is there a name for the NSA types who monitor BR ? We really need a nice name to tell him hello like when he squirelled across to get the FB page deleted. It is pretty amusing to see how they don't understand various countries-may be thought that these vegetarian $apists will rush the US Embassy like Benghazi. If it gave them shivers and made them run to delete the posts -well serves them right but also shows how poorly they understand their host countries be it Libya or India.
Prasanna,
Till now India was hardship in name only. If we had implemented reciprocity from the time Shri Kalam was frisked, tailed their badmash operatives 24x7 and booked their cars for traffic infringements, we would not have seem such dimwits dealing with us over in the New Delhi embassy. Smarter, better clued in staff who are more interested in doing a job well and furthering their career, would have started to show up. The clever ones right now go to the genuine tough assignments because it gets the maximum eyeballs, the dimwits show up in desh, because we pamper them and send them back in the name of athithi devo bhava and there were never any real substantive problems. If we want to change the staffing inside the compounds, we have to change our response.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

This means that the society was also accomplice in the bigotry that the rulers of their nation were displaying/indulging in and hence you cannot absolve the society for the political behaviour of their masters. A fair and just society will never choose bigots as their political leaders in the first place and if they do then that society isn't fair and just.
Oops! That is exactly the logic Al Qaeda and the other nutcases use. Since X,Y & Z is a democracy, and their govt does bad things in places A,B,C &D and hence citizens of X, Y &Z are Bull Cattle because they are culpable! If they weren't they wouldn't have chosen leaders Tom /Dick/Harry/Abdul/..fill in whatever you want.

Come on, you know better than that. The Mays are a bunch of racist Dicks. Lets tell the SD to sweep up their ilk and send them back to Redneckia or better still, Soddy Barbaria and lets get on with usual programming.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

vina wrote:Oops! That is exactly the logic Al Qaeda and the other nutcases use. Since X,Y & Z is a democracy, and their govt does bad things in places A,B,C &D and hence citizens of X, Y &Z are Bull Cattle because they are culpable! If they weren't they wouldn't have chosen leaders Tom /Dick/Harry/Abdul/..fill in whatever you want.

Come on, you know better than that. The Mays are a bunch of racist Dicks. Lets tell the SD to sweep up their ilk and send them back to Redneckia or better still, Soddy Barbaria and lets get on with usual programming.
Where did I say that we need to bullcuttle Americans hainji ??? You are twisting my words unnecessarily and you are better than doing this as well. I can do the same thing by bringing in MUTU and American apologist but will that serve anything good for this thread ???

Even in this page itself it has been shown that the May's weren't acting independently, so the racism line goes far beyond than the face you are selling right now. Bottom line is society cannot escape it's responsibilities and the good actions of few individuals doesn't reflect the character of the larger section.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Lilo wrote:For those overcome with schadenfreude at the fate of DK at the beginning of the episode citing various justifications like lack of punctuality , waiting times , curtness ,"corruption", imperiousness,lack of a smile and a litany of other whines with respect to Indian consular or diplomatic officials dealings with PIOs and NRIs in their Massa postings...

This Alicia May character representing Massa babudom should serve a good lesson or two.

Maybe DK or other IFS scholar babus ( most in their mundane jobs may regularly scoff at the ignorance of the aam in the private) but when it comes to the wire they do deliver the goods just as any other patriotic Indian - regularly see this in gelf with respect to their firefighting for the interests of Indian blue collored workers (be it an evacuation due to Libya or Syria war or those regular changes of "rules of play" by Saudi Barbaria type sheikhdoms without prior warning) .
I agree. I've interacted with our Embassies in Russia and Iran. While they have some shortcomings (for e.g. there are no experts on trade or foreign investment rules), by and large, they are efficient & courteous. I've seen our visa officers speak good Farsi and Russian. They process visa's much faster than what the goras do in India. In one case, I urgently needed a visa for our Iranian partner to visit India. It was after office hours. The document was sent to residence of the 1st secretary in Tehran and a visa was issued in under an hour.
Last edited by Deans on 14 Jan 2014 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

America is still a deeply racist country
Gone is the overt, violent, and legal racism of my childhood in the 1960s. It's been replaced by a subtler, still ugly version
A week after Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, I walked into my old hometown bar in central Florida to hear, "Well if a nigger can be president, then I can have another drink. Give me a whiskey straight up."

Only one day in the town and I thought, "Damn the south."

I had returned home to bury my father, who had spent much of the 1950s and '60s fighting for civil rights in the south. Consequently, my childhood was defined by race. It was why our car was shot at, why threats were made to burn our house down, why some neighbors forbid me to play on their lawn, why I was taunted at school as a "nigger lover".

It was nothing compared to what the blacks in town had to endure. I was just residing in the seam of something much uglier.

It is also why I left as soon as I could, exercising an option few others had. I eventually moved to New York City to work on Wall Street.

In the next 15 years I thought less about race. It is possible to live in the northeast as a white liberal and think little about it, to convince yourself that most of the crude past is behind. Outward signs suggest things are different now: I live in an integrated neighborhood, my kids have friends of all colors, and my old office is diverse compared to what I grew up with. As many point out, America even has a black man (technically bi-racial) as president.

Soon after my father passed away, I started to venture beyond my Wall Street life, to explore parts of New York that I had only previously passed through on the way to airports. I did this with my camera, initially as a hobby. I ended up spending three years documenting addiction in the New York's Bronx neighborhood of Hunts Point. There I was slapped in the face by the past.

In my Florida hometown, there is a train track that splits the town into two colors. When we passed into the black section of town, even if I were lying in the back of the station wagon, I knew it. The gravel roads would wake me, and I could basically smell poverty through the windows.

Crossing into Hunts Point in New York is the same, complete with a train track. The roads are paved, but feel unpaved. The stench of poverty has not changed much (industrial waste rather than uncollected garbage), nor has its clamor or its destructive power.

Neither has the color of its residents: the poor side of town in New York is still almost entirely dark skinned.

It took me a few months of slow recognition, fighting a thought I did not want to believe: we are still a deeply racist country. The laws on the books claim otherwise, but in Hunts Point (and similar neighborhoods across the country), those laws seem like far away idyllic words that clash with the daily reality: everything is stacked against those who are born black or brown.

We as a nation applaud ourselves for having moved beyond race. We find one or two self-made blacks or Hispanics who succeeded against terrible odds, and we elevate their stories to a higher position, and then we tell them over and over, so we can say, "See, we really are a color blind nation."

We tell their stories so we can forget about the others, the ones who couldn't overcome the long odds, the ones born into neighborhoods locked down by the absurd war on drugs, the ones born with almost even odds that their fathers will at some point be in jail, the ones born into neighborhoods that few want to teach in, neighborhoods scarce of resources.

We tell the stories of success and say: see anyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps, further denigrating those who can't escape poverty. It plays into the false and pernicious narrative that poverty is somehow a fault of desire, a fault of intelligence, a fault of skills. No, poverty is not a failing of the residents of Hunts Point who are just as decent and talented as anyone else. Rather it is a failing our broader society.

It took me seeing one black teen thrown against a bodega wall by cops, for no reason, to erase much of the image of seeing Obama elected. It took the unsolved murder of a 15-year-old Hunts Point girl, a girl my middle daughter's age, to make me viscerally understand how lucky my children are. It took watching as one smart child grew from dreaming of college to dealing drugs to viscerally understand how lucky everyone in my old office is.

The barriers between Hunts Point and the rest of New York are not as high as they were between the white and black section of my hometown in the 1960s. People can freely pass over them. Practically, however, they are almost insurmountable.

Gone is the overt, violent, and legal racism of my childhood. It has been replaced by a subtler version.

It is a racism that is easier to ignore, easier to deny, and consequently almost as dangerous
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

^^
saar pls cross post to Understanding US-2.

Ppl visiting NYC should definitely travel to Bronx to see what remains hidden in Manhattan and see the other America. There are areas in Bronx where white cops do not venture alone.
Last edited by pankajs on 13 Jan 2014 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Even in this page itself it has been shown that the May's weren't acting independently, so the racism line goes far beyond than the face you are selling right now. Bottom line is society cannot escape it's responsibilities and the good actions of few individuals doesn't reflect the character of the larger section.
Indeed. But so don't the bad actions of a few! All I am saying, don't tar the entire American society with the Wayne and Alicia May brush. Do be a little smart about it.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

vina wrote:Indeed. But so don't the bad actions of a few! All I am saying, don't tar the entire American society with the Wayne and Alicia May brush. Do be a little smart about it.
A few !!!! America has a history of bigotry and a number of Americans are regularly dissed on this forum and you are saying a "few" !!!! The article posted just a few posts before has been written by a pure bred American gora what do you have to say about his views ???

Sote hue ko jagayaa jaa sakta hain par jo jaag raha ho use nahi.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the 'local sustainable governance' tradition of town taxes paying for fire brigade, police, schools, roads etc I suspect stemmed from deeply segregated towns wherein the rich towns didnt want to spread the butter around and kept it all to themselves. there is a huge diff between schools in rich towns and poor black/hispanic towns, a fact that our NRI brothers are only too well aware of as they need to fight to somehow get into a 'good school district' for the sake of their kids. Why? because schools set the foundation for future. odds of people rising high from a poor downbeat school are low. so in essence the economic mobility of poor school towns is crippled to mainly self employed or low paid service jobs or the us military maybe.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Expelled Diplomat Wore Bias on Sleeves
By Express News Service - NEW DELHI

Published: 13th January 2014 08:18 AM

Last Updated: 13th January 2014 11:31 AM

American diplomat Wayne May, who was asked to leave India, may be secretly relieved since he has previously talked of “challenges” of living in India. His wife, Alicia Muller May, also a US emb­assy staff, had shown prejudice while talking about India on her Facebook page.

On November 18, 2012, Alicia had shared a link to an article about an Indian textbook claiming non-vegetarians were inclined towards violence and sexual crimes. On the discussion to the post, Alicia wrote, “I’d like them to do a follow-up article on how many vegetarians rape women here every day!” After the reply of a friend, Alicia pushed her theory forward. “It’s the vegetarians that are doing the raping, not the meat eaters — this place is just so bizarre.” When another commentator replied jokingly that he had never raped anyone, Alicia persisted, “Applies only to Indians… not westerners!”

The diplomat, Wayne May, had announced the start of his tenure in New Delhi by posting a picture of two cows in the middle of an Old Delhi lane. “The adventure begins! Welcome to India…” posted May on June 30, 2010. In an interview on his professional life in March 2011, he had said, “Challenges include unhealthy living conditions like air and water pollution, threat of disease and sickness, bad traffic and everything else that one would associate with a developing country with a population of over 1.2 billion.”
Another one(in hindi) http://www.bhaskar.com/article/INT-amer ... 1-PHO.html
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

anmol, truly a remarkable job by you in digging up the dirt and it is getting picked up by everyone. Great service
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

+1 Great job, anmol, saar.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Thank you saar. :)
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

:) Thank you saar.

My idea is to collect all such gems at one place in the appropriate thread and build a repository. Perhaps we can then use this to create a FAQ on deep issues within the western societies. I feel if the right knowledge is made available in an easy to digest format it will lead to a more balanced conversations on issues of human rights where we always seem to be on defensive and the conversations one-sided.

WRT India all western press pin us down in any conversation by dragging in human rights in general and caste system in particular. We need to be aware that human rights issues are not particular to the Indian society and be able to counter the one sided narrative by facts and figures.
Last edited by pankajs on 13 Jan 2014 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

Her children, Khobragade said, were familiar with India. “Both my children were born in India. I flew from Pakistan, where I was posted then, to Mumbai, for the delivery of my second child,” she said.
I find this to be good news. They are hopefully still holding Indian passports. In this case my expectation is (as the father claims) that they will be back to their motherland after the school year.

Retaining my skepticism: On the other hand if Rathore had surrendered their Indian passports and got them US passports (since he can claim immediate US citizenship for the kids by birth), then the question would arise as to why the MEA was letting him do the exact opposite of what he was supposed to be doing (i.e., he was supposed to be getting Indian citizenship himself, instead of getting US citizenship for his kids).

Sorry, experience has taught me to be highly skeptical of US-born PIOs in such matters where they have to make a clear-cut choice. I have heard every excuse under the sun (even things like "I'd prefer to keep US citizenship since I can travel everywhere without a visa").
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

Guys , there is another factor regarding the WM expulsion, that hasn't been mentioned and that was his role in securing the release of the Trincomalee contractors aboard that ship which was refueling with high speed diesel in Indian waters. If you recall, the excuse they gave was that they were on an anti-piracy mission
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Past experience to determine the way forward with US: India
New Delhi: The US may be hoping that the Khobragade episode will come to a "closure" with the senior Indian diplomat's departure for home, but India on Monday indicated a different viewpoint, saying it will move forward in the relationship based on "its experience" in the past.

India has already made it clear that it will continue to press for dropping of visa fraud charges against senior diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who was arrested on 12 December in New York and subsequently indicted by a jury in the case. Immediately after the indictment, Khobragade was asked to leave by the US, which also granted her full diplomatic immunity.

"We will take each day as it comes because it is important to look back and forward. The relationship between India and the US is not a one-issue relationship. We have a series of issues that we are engaged. We will take this matter after carefully examining what has been our experience in the past and we will move forward on this broad relationship that we have," Spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said in New Delhi.

At a briefing in Washington after the departure of Khobragade, State Department Spokesperson Jen Psaki said, "This has clearly been a challenging time in the US-India relationship. We expect and hope that this will now come to closure and the Indians will now take significant steps with us to improve our relationship and return it to a more constructive place."

Meanwhile, drawing lessons from the Khobragade episode, MEA has also decided to "vigorously" pursue its proposal with finance ministry to make "significant" changes in the status of domestic assistants like maids helping Indian diplomats in the US and the Europe.

Noting that the proposal was in "gestation" from more than an year with finance ministry, the Spokesperson said the ministry hopes to pursue vigorously the proposal, which has legal, financial and visa status implications.
member_28352
BRFite

Post by member_28352 »

^^^^Didn't their bails get cancelled on appeal?
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

KLP Dubey wrote:
Her children, Khobragade said, were familiar with India. “Both my children were born in India. I flew from Pakistan, where I was posted then, to Mumbai, for the delivery of my second child,” she said.
I find this to be good news. They are hopefully still holding Indian passports. In this case my expectation is (as the father claims) that they will be back to their motherland after the school year.

Retaining my skepticism: On the other hand if Rathore had surrendered their Indian passports and got them US passports (since he can claim immediate US citizenship for the kids by birth), then the question would arise as to why the MEA was letting him do the exact opposite of what he was supposed to be doing (i.e., he was supposed to be getting Indian citizenship himself, instead of getting US citizenship for his kids).

Sorry, experience has taught me to be highly skeptical of US-born PIOs in such matters where they have to make a clear-cut choice. I have heard every excuse under the sun (even things like "I'd prefer to keep US citizenship since I can travel everywhere without a visa").
Dubey ji,
continuing since last,
re: Marriage to foreign nationals.
The rules are in fact different to territorial army,
IFS babus get clearance from GOI,their marriage to foreign national is registered in their personnel records and the govt may give clearance subject to conditions varying with its own interpretation on the merits of the case and there is no fixed 8 year interval for the spouse to aquire Indian citizenship. And no posting is done in country of the spouse without background clearance by agencies.
The undersigned is directed to say that the question of Government servants marrying foreigners has been considered. So far as officers of the Indian Foreign Service are concerned, they are governed by the Indian Foreign Service (Conduct& Discipline) Rules, 1961, and orders on the subject issued by the Ministry of External Affairs. So as far as the Government servants working in or under other Ministries/Departments are concerned, it is considered that some security risk is likely to be involved when a Government servant has, as his wife a foreigner, especially if the foreigner belongs to a country with which India’s relations are not quite happy and accordingly, this aspect has to be kept in mind while ordering the posting or transfer of the officer concerned. It has been decided that a provision should be made in the Conduct Rules to the effect that a Government servants who has married/marries a foreign national should inform the Government of such marriage and that the fact of such marriage should be kept on record in the character roll or personal file of the officer, so that this aspect is kept in view while deciding the posting of the officer. Amendment of the Conduct Rules will be issued separately. An officer having a foreigner as wife should not be appointed to a post, which is considered “sensitive”. The above decision would also apply mutatis mutandis to the husbands of female Government servants.
http://persmin.gov.in/DOPT/Acts_Rules/A ... ule_10.pdf

In DK's case her consular posting was not deemed "sensitive" now after the spat this view may change even with respect to lower (consular level) postings in Massaland.
Last edited by Lilo on 13 Jan 2014 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

rgosain wrote:Guys , there is another factor regarding the WM expulsion, that hasn't been mentioned and that was his role in securing the release of the Trincomalee contractors aboard that ship which was refueling with high speed diesel in Indian waters. If you recall, the excuse they gave was that they were on an anti-piracy mission
His overt designation was Regional Security Officer in US Embassy and was pally pally with lots of Jaichands in law enforcement agencies incl one ACP in Delhi Police and probably the Magistrate who was bribed to gibe bail later cancelled by District Judge.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Have the two lard brains Wayne and Alicia left ?
Last edited by member_28108 on 13 Jan 2014 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

Yes the bail was cancelled, but nevertheless the vessel was in India's EEZ where it posed a threat to fishermen earning their livelihoods. Too many of these guys are using the anti-piracy angle which is likely to blow-up in their faces. Have they left the country then?
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

rgosain wrote:Guys , there is another factor regarding the WM expulsion, that hasn't been mentioned and that was his role in securing the release of the Trincomalee contractors aboard that ship which was refueling with high speed diesel in Indian waters. If you recall, the excuse they gave was that they were on an anti-piracy mission
This angle deserves wider coverage and timely updates. If US was upto something like 26/11 or Kenya type thing then public pressure should be on both govts. On Indian govt for making people and local agencies aware of the threat and on highest levels of US govt to ensure they get a grip on things.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

rgosain wrote:Yes the bail was cancelled, but nevertheless the vessel was in India's EEZ where it posed a threat to fishermen earning their livelihoods. Too many of these guys are using the anti-piracy angle which is likely to blow-up in their faces. Have they left the country then?
They are still in Jail where they belong. Need to keep up pressure.
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

Satya_anveshi wrote:
This angle deserves wider coverage and timely updates. If US was upto something like 26/11 or Kenya type thing then public pressure should be on both govts. On Indian govt for making people and local agencies aware of the threat and on highest levels of US govt to ensure they get a grip on things.
Which is why India needs real cooperation over Healdly and not the kind of half-hearted white-wash we have seen from both sides, and this needs to be spealt out clearly. L'affaire DK has thrown many unique opportunities
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Headley extradition got lost when MKN told the US envoy that it was token for show effort only.
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

ramana wrote:Headley extradition got lost when MKN told the US envoy that it was token for show effort only.
Well it highlights the stupidity of MKN, because the Headley extradition and that of his handler's should now be used as a test of the US reciprocity. What was WM role in getting the extradition lost? The UPA that seized power in 2004 in a colour revolution via EVMs will probably have to burn a lot of files in the coming months.
Were the actions of the SD against DK for show?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chaanakya wrote:
rgosain wrote:Yes the bail was cancelled, but nevertheless the vessel was in India's EEZ where it posed a threat to fishermen earning their livelihoods. Too many of these guys are using the anti-piracy angle which is likely to blow-up in their faces. Have they left the country then?
They are still in Jail where they belong. Need to keep up pressure.
The authorities will have to get a move on quickly.

Can't hold them beyond 90 days without various embassy staff ready to cause grief.

Reason for the interim grant of bail (subsequently cancelled by higher court) was that no charge sheet was filed in 60 days.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:Headley extradition got lost when MKN told the US envoy that it was token for show effort only.
Then, this "gentleman" belongs in jail and not the WB governor's mansion where he is comfortably ensconced.
Madhusudhan
BRFite

Post by Madhusudhan »

Picked up by the Telegraph with all the pompousness and condescension one can expect from them:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... acism.html
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Madhusudhan wrote:Picked up by the Telegraph with all the pompousness and condescension one can expect from them:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... acism.html

But a campaign of vilification has continued online and in the Indian media after the Facebook accounts of Mr May and his wife Alicia, also a senior diplomat in New Delhi, were accessed and several unflattering comments on living conditions in India were reproduced on a website entitled 'Racist American Diplomats.’

The site posted conversations in which Mr May bemoaned the unavailability of beef in India, where cows are sacred to Hindus, and a number of threads in which his wife Alicia complained about dirty conditions, including animal and human 'poop’ on pavements, and claimed their dog was better fed than their gardener.
In another post, she commented on an article which claimed meat-eaters were to blame for more rapes than vegetarians and said the reverse was true in India.
“It’s the vegetarians that are doing the raping, not the meat-eaters — this place is just so bizarre,” she wrote.
Their comments reflect common complaints about poor sanitation among expatriates living in Delhi rather than racism, but they were cited to support claims that US officials were more interested in denigrating India than protecting low paid Indians abroad.
An US embassy spokesman was unavailable for comment.

Somebody has hacked into the Mays' FB accounts?? Great!!, What next?? We should kick out the writer, Dean Nelson, New Delhi based lying, scheming and racist author of the concocted article

The telegraph must be run by a bunch of paki autoriksha drivers, this is the exact argument that they would make.

lying racist britons looking out looking out for illiterate, redneck racist amrekis.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Ahh the local idiot Dean Nelson of Briturd Telegraph..!!
By Dean Nelson, New Delhi

1:42PM GMT 13 Jan 2014

An American diplomat expelled from India last week in retaliation for the arrest of a New- York-based Indian consular official for alleged visa fraud has been accused of 'racism’ towards the country after his and his wife’s Facebook accounts were hacked. :rotfl:

Wayne May, a security liason officer, in the United States embassy in New Delhi, was given 48 hours to leave India last week following a deal in which Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade was granted full diplomatic immunity and asked to leave the United States.

Her arrest and strip-search following her arrest last month for making false statements about her domestic servant’s employment conditions and paying below the minimum wage outraged Indian leaders and threatened the partnership between the two countries.

The deal was expected to end the growing acrimony between India and the United States after New Delhi had announced a series of retaliatory measures, including the withdrawal of security barriers from outside the United States embassy, and an end to tax benefits on imports by American diplomats. American ambassador Nancy Powell was told she would no longer be exempt from ordinary security screening procedures at Indian airports.

But a campaign of vilification has continued online and in the Indian media after the Facebook accounts of Mr May and his wife Alicia, also a senior diplomat in New Delhi, were accessed and several unflattering comments on living conditions in India were reproduced on a website entitled 'Racist American Diplomats.’

The site posted conversations in which Mr May bemoaned the unavailability of beef in India, where cows are sacred to Hindus, and a number of threads in which his wife Alicia complained about dirty conditions, including animal and human 'poop’ on pavements, and claimed their dog was better fed than their gardener.

In another post, she commented on an article which claimed meat-eaters were to blame for more rapes than vegetarians and said the reverse was true in India.

“It’s the vegetarians that are doing the raping, not the meat-eaters — this place is just so bizarre,” she wrote.

Their comments reflect common complaints about poor sanitation among expatriates living in Delhi rather than racism, but they were cited to support claims that US officials were more interested in denigrating India than protecting low paid Indians abroad.

An US embassy spokesman was unavailable for comment.
To use a "creationist" Americanism - Dayum, I'll be a Monkey's Unkil !! :rotfl: