Aircraft Recognition

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Aircraft Recognition

Post by Rahul M »

better yet, start with the vast BR archives. ;)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Here is an idea - to post in mil threads people have to go through a quiz based on the material in BR archives and get high pass say 80% correct? :mrgreen: admins no worries re increased load - can be automated I am sure, given the high number of ITvity commandos lurking around.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I will fail BRF-JEE onlee.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Identify the metal bird
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

^^^^^^^^^
is it the harrier :roll:
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

what metal bird............... 8)
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

It is a Mirage F1 from the 21 Combat Wing, 2112 Combat Squadron of the Ecuadorian Air Force. But who cares?
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Is it the Air-Brake of metal bird which partly covers the right elbow of flesh-bird?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Yes
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

the problem was in the image itself that led to distraction and thus an incorrect response.
So not my fault in identifying it as a Harrier :wink:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote:It is a Mirage F1 from the 21 Combat Wing, 2112 Combat Squadron of the Ecuadorian Air Force. But who cares?
Good call.
member_28419
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28419 »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in BR although I have been lurking for well over a decade now. The reason I am posting is to seek the help of the members here in helping me find out the mailing address or contact info of the squadron(s) that fly the IL-76MD in the IAF. Or help me in any other way to get a 24"x18" framed high quality photograph of this pictures to the men who fly them. I took this picture, which is part of a series, in Leh a couple of years ago and thought that the people who fly them would appreciate it.

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

krishnarajp wrote:Hello everyone,

This is my first post in BR although I have been lurking for well over a decade now. The reason I am posting is to seek the help of the members here in helping me find out the mailing address or contact info of the squadron(s) that fly the IL-76MD in the IAF. Or help me in any other way to get a 24"x18" framed high quality photograph of this pictures to the men who fly them. I took this picture, which is part of a series, in Leh a couple of years ago and thought that the people who fly them would appreciate it.

That is one heck of a beautiful photo. Email PRO air force and ask?
member_28419
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28419 »

shiv wrote:That is one heck of a beautiful photo. Email PRO air force and ask?
Thanks for your response. I am going to do exactly that, found the email id on the IAF's official website. Hope I get a helpful response from the PRO.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A bunch of birds to ID:

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Buccaneer, Alphajet x 2, E-3 AWACS, Gnat trainer , F-Solah, Eurofighter, F-16 landing, Red Arrows with leading ??ASTOR Bombardier jet, Viggen, ASTOR landing, Vulcan takeoff and landing
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

voila
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

shiv wrote:Buccaneer, Alphajet x 2, E-3 AWACS, Gnat trainer , F-Solah, Eurofighter, F-16 landing, Red Arrows with leading ??ASTOR Bombardier jet, Viggen, ASTOR landing, Vulcan takeoff and landing
Saar, The first aircraft coming in to land in the vid is a Tornado..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sudhan wrote:
shiv wrote:Buccaneer, Alphajet x 2, E-3 AWACS, Gnat trainer , F-Solah, Eurofighter, F-16 landing, Red Arrows with leading ??ASTOR Bombardier jet, Viggen, ASTOR landing, Vulcan takeoff and landing
Saar, The first aircraft coming in to land in the vid is a Tornado..
:lol: So it is ..so much for my eyesight..I had decided to find vintage aircraft from my youth
member_28502
BRFite

Post by member_28502 »

also Fokker Falcon 70 Jet I think I saw F-18 Hornet as well
member_28502
BRFite

Post by member_28502 »

ravi_g
I think Illusion ok Ilushin
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

^ smart yeh. I admit I never said which aircraft I needed ID-ed. IL is there in the back (the Godzilla behind the hanger) but don't what type.

The one with the play slide is a Tu 124. Google images will help. But that was only the diversion :P.

I am interested in the aircraft showing its mush in the pic - could be Su-24. Ukraine had these. What is that one. Need sniper eyes to ID that one. Hein ji.
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

ravi_g saar, looks like a Su-24 as you mentioned, a slightly higher res pic would help guage the size of a/c.. A Tu-22M has a similar mush to my eyes ..
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I suspected that it is a Su-24 because of the MLG. The higher resolution pic confirms it.
vanand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vanand »

indranilroy wrote:I suspected that it is a Su-24 because of the MLG. The higher resolution pic confirms it.
Having a closer look to the image in the below URL, sure it matches SU-24
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bo ... u24_22.jpg
veerav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by veerav »

What type of aircraft was flying to close to INS Vick in the link below? Does not look likt Mig-29.. Harrier? Jaguar?

http://bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=20971
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

^^Yep, IN harrier..
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Wotzit?
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Looks like a Sea Hawk.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Close. But not correct. Hint: Notice the wing sweep.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

krishnarajp wrote:Hello everyone,

Image is not available
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Good eye Indranil. It is the Hawker 1052 which led to the Hawker 1081 which in turn led to the Hunter.

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It is interesting how the same basic "design ideas" of front fuselage and intake design was used in several Hawker aircraft (Sea Hawk)and in the De Havilland Vampire as well. To me this indicates a level of shared technological competence in Britain that was being continued over set of different industries. And this was back in the 50s. We in India have only one designated design bureau (ADA) and a separate manufacturing apparatus (HAL) - and only one of that as well. Unless this changes we cannot reach the level of Britain in the 50s
member_28703
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28703 »

Regarding the same "basic idea" of the intakes...

Quite a few of the late German WW2 era experimental/developmental aircraft had the same type of intakes blended into the wing roots with a triangular/rectangular cross section.

Eg:

. He P.1079B2
. Me 262 HG III version
. Horten Ho 229 (some versions but most have circular intakes)

One of the principle designers of the Me262 ,Adolf Busemann was snapped up by the Americans.
The Horten Ho229 met the same fate with Americans grabbing the aircraft and the research which would eventually lead to the B-2.

Wonder if the British got their hands on any of the research/ac designers. :?:

Ps:First post after trolling for a decade! :D ..still figuring out how to attach pics. hence no pics..sorry
member_28703
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28703 »

Bingo!

He P.1079B2

Me 262 HG III version

Horten Ho 229

member_28305
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28305 »

Amazing.. but the pic of He P.1079B2 looks unrealistic.. may be my bad eye..

but it looks like the proportion/size of the large wheels and the body of the aircraft doesnot match.. :-?

Guess its a 3d rendering..
member_28703
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28703 »

Yup..its an artistic image.
The sheer number of a/c design programs in Germany during WW2 is mind bogging.
http://www.luft46.com/

The above website lists them brilliantly company wise with a lot of project info even though most of these never got off the ground.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Quick question.
Todin, I was dropping someone off at BWI airport Baltimore.
I saw this UPS Boeing 767-34AF-ER with pennant no N356UP
On the internet there are two photos of this plane, one taken in June 2013 - the plane does not have wingtip extensions.
The second taken in July 2014, where there are wing tip extensions !
What's going on? Wing upgrades?
^^^June 2013

^^^July 2014
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Found something on the net which suggest that Winglets were fitted in Sept 2013...

Interesting sidenote: Back in desh, a friend of mine has a trucking business. He says, some businesses have multiple trucks with the same registration nos, with falsified paperwork. These trucks run in different parts of the country, are never brought in one place together. He said, there were substantial savings in terms of various taxes !
For a moment I was wondering if UPS was doing the same :rotfl: