BRF Oldie

Re: Statewide and National runup to 2014 General elections

Post by gandharva »

CPIM candidate fm Howrah, Sridip Bhattacharya wearing Jai Sri Ram scarf

AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Cross-posting from the non-political Elections thread ..

Voted in Bangalore today (Bangalore Central) ... it was a very smooth affair. It took us less than 20 minutes end-to-end for:
1. Going from home to the polling station
2. Getting our voting slip from the party desk near the polling station
3. Take that slip to the voting room
4. Cast our vote
5. Be back home

ECI has made voting such a smooth affair. Kudos to them ....

Now my my observations about party booths ...
BJP: The booth had the maximum crowd. Lots of middle class voters (including the much maligned IT-vity crowd) thronging to this booth for getting voter slips.
Congress: Had 4-5 workers but did not see any voter coming to them. All were sitting and chatting among themselves.
AAP: Had a lone warrior standing with the AAP Flag. No table. No voter list. Just jhaddoo, flag and cap.

If the crowd at a party's booth is an indicator of which way the wind is blowing, then at least in my polling booth it seemed like a complete BJP sweep.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

voted in a rural booth of bangalore north. in my booth atleast, edge for bjp. Let me tell u..slight edge is a very good thing here because bjp was a distant third. Saw many people at congress booth literally begging for money with the co ordinator..news is jds is fully behind bjp in north bangalore and mysore. Sadananda gowda shares good equation with kumaraswamy. Also no jds booth at all which is a rude shock for me since our booth has major rural populace in bangalore north.
Saral
BRFite

Post by Saral »

So far turnout for 2014 is up by 8%, compared to 2009. Unless there is some other explanation such as cleaning up of voter rolls, this increase seems to indicate wave that should favor BJP.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

Voted in Bangalore rural, area where I live mostly apartments. Congress has big presence here, not a single one present from BJP or AAP. Calling people to go out and vote. Response is positive.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

AnimeshP wrote:Now my my observations about party booths ...
BJP: The booth had the maximum crowd. Lots of middle class voters (including the much maligned IT-vity crowd) thronging to this booth for getting voter slips.
Congress: Had 4-5 workers but did not see any voter coming to them. All were sitting and chatting among themselves.
AAP: Had a lone warrior standing with the AAP Flag. No table. No voter list. Just jhaddoo, flag and cap.
Could you please be more specific ? How big was the crowd in terms of a numerical guesstimate ?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

muraliravi wrote:There can be no mass deportation until the WB and BD Govts agree, and they will not.

IMHO the only deportation that will work is voluntary deportation, i.e. if they cannot find jobs in India they will deport themselves.
Then Namo and BJP should stop talking about it and stop the drama. If it can be done talk about it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZiEutJMS4

Watch the last one minute, why is the so called visionary fooling junta that he will come and deport all bangladeshis from India, listen to the last 1 -2 mins. If they can they should put it in the manifesto, if they cant they should stop fooling people for votes.[/quote]

Muraliji' certain things are better left unsaid. We cannot be like #khujliwal - "not this, not this, not this".

The first step for BJP/Modi is to come to power and in the process they go easy on some controversial items to set the base for it later. For eg. getting the communists out of Bengal and Kerala should be primary goal. Second get the sickular out of WB. Third get BD into India's orbit as a satellite. For all practical purposes, BD should be behaving like an autonomous state with a token army., which is used internally to keep the "mollas" in check.

Here is a strange thing., geo-political history is glacial and hence difficult to comprehend., however when time compressed and simplified - everybody gets it!

So for you, the thoughts should be - what needs to be done to get Iran, Afghanistan, Nepal, Sri-Lanka, Burma, Oman into Indian orbit? I think first we need to set up a base for that. For that to happen, Indian economy should grow and become the next gravitation point.

Imagine an 8T (Eight-Trillion dollar) economy sitting right there by 2025?

So coming back to deportation, that is a zero-sum game - everybody loses. Instead, grow yourself so rich and powerful that the "mollas" in BD become your sirkari mollas. The next step is then to reduce arabic-ization and increase indic-ness. For all practical purposes - connect them to the Indic roots.

Of course Pakistan will be a festering boil. But the best way is to let it collapse on itself. You can ask Doc'ji on how boils are lanced and collapsed. He is already working on that.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Nitesh wrote:Voted in Bangalore rural, area where I live mostly apartments. Congress has big presence here, not a single one present from BJP or AAP. Calling people to go out and vote. Response is positive.
How is that INC has such a big backing there?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Big queues from 7 AM in my area ( Bluru Central). Also, my area has max candidates in K'taka ( 27)

Never remembered taking more than 5 minutes for voting earlier but took 20 minutes at 7:30 AM!! And the queue has grown bigger now ( just had a dekko since polling booth is across the street :mrgreen:)
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Crossposting from election thread

We also voted and it was also a smooth affair (Actually I have had no problems in any election so far !) Was one of the first to vote to avoid the later rush. For the life of me could not find my EPIC card so used my passport but found out that since I was carrying the Election office voter ID slip that could also be used and rather than taking my passport as ID the election officer used the official voter slip as ID.

(Bangalore Central)

Actually at 0700 there were only two candidate booths- BJP and INC but they were both dosing !! Have to take my Grandma to vote still.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Folks who are voting: please provide more constructive information on which parties' booths were getting more patronage, as well as impressions on overall turnout. The more data driven folks can have a better idea on polling trends based on the information you provide.
Sidd
BRFite

Post by Sidd »

Suraj wrote:Folks who are voting: please provide more constructive information on which parties' booths were getting more patronage, as well as impressions on overall turnout. The more data driven folks can have a better idea on polling trends based on the information you provide.
In my case when I went there at 6:30 in the morning only congress booth was there so I took my slip from them. When coming back after voting at 7:20 BJP booth was also set up both equally crowded.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Suraj wrote:
AnimeshP wrote:Now my my observations about party booths ...
Could you please be more specific ? How big was the crowd in terms of a numerical guesstimate ?
This was at around 8:00 AM ... The BJP booth had about 20 voters lined up to get their slips ... The other 2 had none ... The BJP booth also seemed to have better logistics with their workers getting tea/coffee while this did not see, to be the case for the other two
SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

Deleted
Last edited by Suraj on 17 Apr 2014 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Poster warned for trolling after previous cautions.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

sum wrote:
Nitesh wrote:Voted in Bangalore rural, area where I live mostly apartments. Congress has big presence here, not a single one present from BJP or AAP. Calling people to go out and vote. Response is positive.
Sum garu, Congress has presence, i never said all the votes are going for them :D , just in my polling booth, only Congress guys were present, not a single one present from BJP
morem
BRFite

Post by morem »

VOted in Bangalore central , went at 8:30, had to wait almost 45 min to vote
Solid middle class IT Vity crowd , people congratulating each other for voting
families spread across 4 polling booths , diligently visiting each to cast each family member's vote
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

A worrisome new trend gaining on twitter... #AbkiBaar300Paar
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

CNN-IBN News ‏@ibnlive 11s

11 per cent polling till 9 am in Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh #Elections2014
Amit Malviya ‏@malviyamit 2h

Huge rush to vote in the first hour in #Bangalore. #Mandate2014
saumitra_j
BRFite

Post by saumitra_j »

Did my bit and voted in Pune, as usual the BJP/Shiv Sena booth had more crowd. Overall impression: Voter turnout look much better than last time. My parents are going to vote in some time, will ask them for more details. I am heading with my laptop to another booth as a volunteer :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

If BJP is not making a comeback, it must be all due their local presence. They need to have much more organized presence at muncipal levels in all states, and contest from grass roots.

And it would sad day for India, if Modi can't cut it!. If he does not make it, I can only repent for those dorks who voted for corrupted congress and aap.

Good luck India!
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

yes.. will cross 60% in pune..
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

x-post

====
in arunachal at least being seen as an Indian party is a good thing, people there are quite patriotic and there's a significant modi wave. I have written about it previously. (FWIW I am speaking from my own experiences interacting with people from half a dozen districts on the ground, not just from reading news sites)
I would be shocked if AP west doesn't go to bjp's kiren rijju and AP east is 55-45 in favour of INC.

there is MASSIVE public anger against cong corruption. one election official transported EVM's in a cong sitting MLA's car and bjp workers caught it and destroyed the EVM to force a re-election. one bureaucrat was mercilessly beaten by the public because he asked a sitting cong MLA to distribute govt scheme funds. the DC of the district had to flee to itanagar because the public was gunning for him as well.

in assam, 5 seats would be a good result for bjp.
=====

p.s most towns had a modi chai stall which were well liked by people. the problem in AP is politicians spend massive amounts in buying votes, upwards of 50k/voter in some cases. for poor people with large families it's not easy to say no to a cash inflow of 3-4 lakhs. & people there usually keep their word but that might be changing this time.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Prasanna Viswanathan ‏@prasannavishy 2h

Surprisingly huge turnout in my polling booth( migrant dominated part of Bangalore). Folks tacitly greeting each other "abhi ki baar"
ANI ‏@ANI_news 2h

EC is a respected body,will keep in mind their advice.Sometimes a bowler can bowl a no-ball,happens-Amit Shah pic.twitter.com/AdGa5qyP5w
Frederic
BRFite

Post by Frederic »

5Forty3.in still down jingos. What up with that?
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

hmmm...going by initial trends....bjp will get more than 15...16 percent already in mangalore is crazy...its a polarized environment and has become bunts vs billavas contest now..but bunts outnumber them by 3 to 1
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Just back from the booth. Basavanagudi constituency of South Bangalore. Things were pretty laidback. Not much of a rush (mind you it's the first time I voted so can't compare). Only BJP volunteers were visible and were in a good mood. Got them to help out with my booth number. I think the fight is going to be closer than the previous elections here. One elderly gentleman asked me if I knew where the AAPturd voluteers were. While walking could hear some positive conversations about BJP from the people who were returning home after casting their votes. Overall voting was a smooth affair and I hope it'll be the same for BJP here. This constituency has a lot of educated voters and I won't be surprised to find AAPturds and people supporting Nilekani. But there are also a lot of Brahmins here and most of their votes should goto BJP. Overall it's really difficult to predict with certainty as to who will win but I can certainly tell that Ananth Kumar will get the majority of votes in Basvanagudi.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

sum wrote:
D K Satish who's the brother of D K ShivKumar is contesting from Bangalore Rural if I'm not mistaken. These two are the biggest thugs in the country. They have poured in a lot of money into this election. You get calls and whatsapp pings and audio messages from this thug asking for votes. Kanakapura etc are generally considered their strong holds from where they get a lot of rural votes and they have the money to buy a lot of votes.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Dr. Praveen Patil ‏@5Forty3 1h

We are just checking what's wrong with our site, will try and restore it ASAP... Thank You
Ratnakar Sadasyula ‏@ScorpiusMaximus 1h

Huge turnout in Rajasthan so far, Barmer highest at 25%, Ganganagar at 19, average of 15% in other seats.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Called up family.
+2 votes.
Bangalore central .
10:30 AM - 15 % votes polled.
BJP button on EVM seems to have been put to good use. Dirty and worn out.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

In Baramati, 23% voting until 09:00 :D :D

earthquake onlee.. either bogus voting en masse for Pawar OR public committed to screw pawars royally..
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Mangesh Sakhalkar ‏@Mangesh_skr 2h
No votes cast in Rampur, Bhopal, Patna Sahib et al Coz of EVM failure. Nearly 400 EVMs malfunctioning. Whats EC doing? Does EC hav backup?

Pratyasha Rath ‏@pratyasharath 2h
Really pissed off now. Noone had any clue how to set the EVM right. Even install/operate the new EVM. Heat s increasing now. #OdishaVotes

raj ‏@intweeple 55m
#Congress #ditrypolitics at work

EVM scam ?
How this can be stopped ?

Published on Apr 17 2014
By Anurag Bende
Voting stopped at Shamrao Kalmadi school Pune, machine replaced: DNA
Pune: Bimba Nagarmath, a resident of Erandwane in Pune has complained to the Polling officer at booth 263 located at the Shamrao Kalmadi HighSchool in Erandwane, Pune. She noticed that the electronic voting machine displayed a vote for Congree, even if a voter pressed another button on the EVM.

The voting had already begun by then at 7:15 a.m. and 28 voters had cast their vote before her.

The EVM has now been replaced and voting has resumed.

Because 1.5 hours have been used for replacing the EVM, people have demanded the voting at that booth be extended by 1.5 hours till 8:30 p.m. today.

Early morning voters, including many senior citizens, were bewildered when an electronic voting machine (EVM) reportedly "transferred" all votes to the Congress.

The incident happened at a polling booth at Shamrao Kalmadi School in the city when voters found that whichever button was pressed on the EVM, only the Congress light blinked.

Some of the alert voters brought this to the notice of the election officials who stopped voting immediately.

"The Election Commission authorities have ordered a new machine for this particular polling booth which is expected to come soon," said local BJP activist Madhur Sahasrabuddhe.

The poll panel has also decided to permit around 28 voters who had already cast their votes with the defective EVM, to vote afresh.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

A simple map of voter-id -> symbol without other details, and duplicate check is a mandatory paper trail for ensuring EVMs are real democratic device. otherwise, it is left to the hands of the criminals.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Bangalore central...orr...We voted in one booth and also saw two more nearby booths while shopping. In all three, the bjp had plenty of ppl and a decent sized booth. In my booth the aap also had a similar booth and plenty of weaker section ppl..not a single upper middle class..the bjp had a mix of weaker sections and 100pct of the itvity types.
In the two other booths in next villages....the aap was not there barring two guys with laptops and congis and bjp had equal booths and people.

Overall the orr itvity serf voting pct is very high..not so much enthu among weaker sections ...our pindi room had a long queue, rest rooms had hardly any queue at 10am....it was picking up at 11am when i returned home.

The state elections last yr had far more weaker section ppl coming out.....no armed police either this time.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Took my 89 year old Granny to vote.(She is in Bangalore North constituency though she now lives with us). Not much of a crowd there and of course she was given preference. (Same thing for my Mother when she went to vote) - it is a good thing that they are giving this time preference for elderly people to bypass the queue to allow voting- this actually speeds up the election process too. The poll officer told me that she has to be alone in the booth and there will be a different procedure if she cannot easily vote if she needs help to vote but I told him with a wink that she has just signed in English.One thing is that these EVM's must be a bit more elderly friendly- the EVM is very long so it is difficult for an elderly person to bend over to vote but then she did !
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I would say 95 to 100 pct of those orr munna who voted will go to bjp.

Too many candidates in blr central , almost two evm were filled with names. But the voting slip provided by bjp noted pc mohan as serial no2 which made it easy.

One guy said he liked aap balakrishnan but didnt want to split or waste the anti congi vote so they will vote bjp
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Thupstan Chhewang for MP Ladakh. Is there any information about his chances of winning.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thupstan ... ref=stream
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

I just went back and saw the booth Bangalore Central - - slow but steady voting .There are only two voter desks one for BJP and the other congress.No other booth and no AAP helper booth.We have a huge number of candidates(2 EVM's).Was talking with the BJP karyakartas and they were saying they expect voting to pick up in a few ore hours as people are slowly getting up and getting ready. Typically women vote after finishing cooking !!

One thing is logistically my area was in the original Bangalore North constituency and itbelongs to Malleswaram but has now been carved to Bangalore central.Ideologically belongs to Bangalore North in both Assembly and Nationa elections but our area has been transplanted to Gandhinagar assembly seat and so is unfortunately neither here or there. Malleswaram is a typically highly educated Itvity types but politically conscious compared to many other areas. Feels funny when you are delimited to another area ! 3 roads acroos and I would be in Bangalore North!

5forty3.in is still down and I suspect it has been hacked.
Last edited by member_28108 on 17 Apr 2014 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

New Indian Express ‏@NewIndianXpress 20s

15 Per cent Polling in Odisha till 10 AM - http://tnie.in/Qfy0rE #Elections2014
Ratnakar Sadasyula ‏@ScorpiusMaximus 10m

28% polling in Jamshedpur till 11 AM, looks like large turnouts everywhere.
सुरेश नाखुआ ‏@sureshnakhua 6m

Sa b ka vinash pakka RT @rahulgrover88 25% till 11pm in UP
TIMES NOW ‏@timesnow 9m

Around 15% voters exercise franchise during first 3 hours of simultaneous last phase election to 11 LS, 77 Assembly constituencies in Odisha
dna ‏@dna 13m

Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Long queues as around 21-22% of Bengal votes http://dnai.in/camZ #MyVote2014
Niti Central ‏@NitiCentral 13m

Maharashtra: 8.81 per cent turnout in first two hours #Election2014 http://www.niticentral.com/2014/04/17/s ... 12668.html
Niti Central ‏@NitiCentral 16m

18% voter turnout in Karnataka till 10 am. #Election2014 Live: http://bit.ly/QfpngP
Last edited by pankajs on 17 Apr 2014 11:14, edited 3 times in total.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Amit Malviya ‏@malviyamit 10m

TAM report: #Modi in Aap Ki Adalat had 67% market share on Saturday, highest ever in the history of news TV. It was 74% in first hour !
Niti Central ‏@NitiCentral 1m

18% voter turnout in Karnataka,UP; 30% in Chhattisgarh till 10 am. #Elections2014
dna ‏@dna 3m

Lok Sabha Elections 2014: 12.74% voters exercise franchise by 9 am in Jharkhand http://dnai.in/cang #myvote2014
Niti Central ‏@NitiCentral 7m

Odisha registers 21 per cent voting till 11:30 am. #Election2014
member_21074
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_21074 »

Did my part, voted for BJP in BLR. Was so excited that didn't even care to see other candidates on EVM.
This was my first voting, so fortunate that i started with this election.

Approach road to polling station was jammed and it looked as if some marriage function is going on.
Inspite of that booths were well managed, there were over 10 polling rooms and it took less that 10 minutes to get the voting slip , vote and come out.

BJP did very well, they had half the table manned by women volunteer and rest by young kinds. It took me a while to find where's congress guys sitting, later to find them hidden behind parking with hardly 10 guys using their services. Compare that to BJP, with two table was catering almost 50 people at that time.
In all , I saw almost 20 BJP volunteers,3-4 Congress guys and none from AAP.

On interesting event was while enroute to polling station, I asked few autowallah for direction, they told me the route and started chanting Modi-Modi.. if this is not a wave then what is?
My guess, local BJP candidate (PC Mohan) will win with biggest margin this time.