Indian Army: News and Discussions 15 Apr 2012

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_25399
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 15 Apr 2012

Post by member_25399 »

^^^^^
Somebody needs to remove FLT. LT. NACHIKETA RAO name from the above list.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

^^^ Sonam Wangchuk also needs to be removed from the list. He is very much alive and a Colonel now (?)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

X-post:

Could be related to next CoAS also!
sum wrote:More politics on new CNS also?
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Next Army chief’s selection turns hot after supersession in Navy
NEW DELHI: The Army is all agog over who will be its new chief after General Bikram Singh retires on July 31, in the backdrop of the government junking the long-standing seniority principle to appoint Admiral Robin Dhowan as the new Navy chief on Thursday.

Western Naval Command chief (WNC) Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, who was superseded by Admiral Dhowan, has already put in his papers on the ground that he cannot serve under an officer six months junior to him.

If the government cannot do "justice" to him, Vice Admiral Sinha has demanded his "voluntary retirement" be approved immediately. "Vice Admiral Sinha's letter was hand delivered in South Block on Thursday evening. It will be processed as per laid-down procedures next week," said a defence ministry official.

The Navy's line of succession has gone for a toss because of Admiral DK Joshi's resignation after a string of warship mishaps, 17 months before his tenure was to end, and Admiral Dhowan's belated appointment as his successor, as reported earlier by TOI.

Now, the Army is concerned about its own fate. A Service chief is usually named two months before the incumbent retires, with the senior-most Lt General, Vice Admiral or Air Marshal virtually always making it to the top post since supersession is extremely rare. Going by this, present vice-chief Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag is slated to take over the reins of the 1.18-million strong Army on August 1.

But the BJP has already fired a warning shot that the UPA regime should not be in a "hurry" to name the new Army chief before it demits office in May. "The model code of conduct is in place. There is hardly a month to go for the Lok Sabha results. I am not going into the specifics of any name but what is the hurry to appoint an Army chief, or a Lokpal for that matter," said senior BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad.

Former Army chief Gen VK Singh, who is now the BJP's Lok Sabha candidate from Ghaziabad, however, has made his strong aversion to the Bikram-Suhag line of succession quite clear several times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Shameful if true! Criminalization of Army.

http://bharatkalyan97.blogspot.in/2014/ ... d.html?m=1
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

That Kargil martyr list is incorrect at places. Not just many in the list are alive, few of the martyrs are missing from the list as well.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

^^ That looks more likely to be a list of awardees, being peddled on the www as the list of martyrs
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

So what does the JJS's "order of succession" look like if Suhag becomes IA COAS? May give some clues to the thinking behind it.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

merlin wrote:So what does the JJS's "order of succession" look like if Suhag becomes IA COAS? May give some clues to the thinking behind it.
I think under JJS' 'line of succession' Gen Suhag is to follow Gen Bikram Singh as COAS.

IMHO if Gen Suhag is nominated as the next COAS, then Gen VK Singh will not be appointed as Defense Minister under NaMo. With the bad blood and history between Generals Suhag and VK Singh, they will not be able to work together effectively.

Gen Ashok Singh will not be made COAS because, him being related to Gen VK Singh, it will be seen as nepotism.

So either the BJP will have to accept Gen Suhag as next COAS, or they will have to supersede both Gens. Suhag and Ashok Singh.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Time pass time.

So, there is something that Gen Suhag did that would normally make him out of contention. Some thing to do with a professional event.

What about Gen Ashok Singh? Is it just that he is related to Gen V. K. Singh? That is it? Or is there some other event related to his profession?
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Kakkaji wrote:
merlin wrote:So what does the JJS's "order of succession" look like if Suhag becomes IA COAS? May give some clues to the thinking behind it.
I think under JJS' 'line of succession' Gen Suhag is to follow Gen Bikram Singh as COAS.

IMHO if Gen Suhag is nominated as the next COAS, then Gen VK Singh will not be appointed as Defense Minister under NaMo. With the bad blood and history between Generals Suhag and VK Singh, they will not be able to work together effectively.

Gen Ashok Singh will not be made COAS because, him being related to Gen VK Singh, it will be seen as nepotism.

So either the BJP will have to accept Gen Suhag as next COAS, or they will have to supersede both Gens. Suhag and Ashok Singh.
I think even Sandhya Jain has that same stand. Lt. Gen. Suhag is sure to be appointed COAS - that's my reading. UPA wants their man as COAS, I'm not sure why.
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

What good will Gen Suhag's appointment do to the UPA and why are they so keen on doing it is I cannot comprehend, for now. :-?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Jehangir Pocha ‏@JehangirPocha 1h

If you want to ask the President not to sign papers appointing a new Army Chief until there's a new govt, write to ps1president@rb.nic.in
Pranab da may yet block the UPA
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

pankajs wrote:
Jehangir Pocha ‏@JehangirPocha 1h

If you want to ask the President not to sign papers appointing a new Army Chief until there's a new govt, write to ps1president@rb.nic.in
Pranab da may yet block the UPA
Possible. Some used to say that he was opposed to this Gandhi family tree. In fact some said that he was made the Prez to get him out of the way in politics. Sweet revenge of sorts?

I still do not understand what will UPA get by pushing "their candidate". Do they expect him to sign off on Siachen? What political impact will he have or has the current Chief had?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

I'm not in favor of this mud-slinging about who is going to be next COAS.

Both the sides - General VK Singh and current COAS/Suhag Singh - are washing the dirty linen in public. This when there does not seem to be anything substantive in the matter. There may well be fault(s) with Lt. General Suhag Singh but I doubt they are of the nature to cast aspersions on his ability to become COAS after Bikram Singh.

And all these stunts of petitioning the President or appointment of COAS being against the code-of-conduct is quite juvenile; how does appointment of COAS influence voting in any way in this country? Except for a minuscule number of people, most won't even know who Army Chief is or if there is such an appointment in the first place.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

The only aspect that bothers is the allegedly deliberate line of succession that was drawn up by removing VKS .. quite a feat. But it could be taken as fait accompli now (one way or the other) and let normalcy come back. Else it becomes even more self-defeating. The next government can decide the next steps when in office. Most likely it will let this ride out.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Nothing to do with voting.

Those who were wondering was why Lt. Gen. Suhag Singh as COAS might be of interest to UPA .... arms lobby. This is the most reasonable conclusion.

Other reasons ... I think its too early to speak of.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

rohitvats wrote:And all these stunts of petitioning the President or appointment of COAS being against the code-of-conduct is quite juvenile; how does appointment of COAS influence voting in any way in this country? Except for a minuscule number of people, most won't even know who Army Chief is or if there is such an appointment in the first place.
It does not influence voting, but it violates the norm that no such important appointments should be made during the election period.

When they are leaving so many important decisions pending, for the new Govt to tackle, why the hurry to announce the new COAS just 20 days before the end of your reign?

In addition to that, the CT here is that if they announce Gen Suhag to be the next COAS, then it poisons the well for Gen VKS to be appointed the Defense Minister in a NaMo Govt. If it is known beforehand that the two of them have a bad history among themselves, then if the PM-elect is asking for trouble if he appoints Gen VKS as Defense Minister.

If Gen Suhag is part of the coterie of JJS-BS-Suhag as part of JJS' planned 'line of succession', then this chain must be broken once for all. The powers that be went to great lengths to ease out Gen VKS, and this chess move of appointing Gen Suhag now will effectively shut Gen VKS out of the defense ministry. What is it about Gen VKS that the INC wants to keep him out so desparately? Is it that he knows all the bad apples in the army and will ruthlessly purge them if he becomes Raksha Mantri?

Something is deeply rotten here. That is why I think both Suhag and Ashok Singh should be superseded by the incoming Govt, and the new COAS be chosen from the next level of seniority.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

As I understand it, over the last few years, a number of good senior officers were eased out to ensure this planned 'line of succession'. That is why this 'line of succession' must be broken, once for all.

Just IMHO
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

SRoy wrote:Nothing to do with voting.

Those who were wondering was why Lt. Gen. Suhag Singh as COAS might be of interest to UPA .... arms lobby. This is the most reasonable conclusion.

Other reasons ... I think its too early to speak of.
I agree, too early.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I think the chances of VKS becoming defense minister is near zero. The defense ministers are political heavyweights and there will be a lot of claimants to the seat (not just the prestige - it is also very prosperous). And secondly, having VKS in defense ministry will result in huge disruption in MoD and army top brass, and no new govt will want that.

That's the objective assessment. Subjectively, I don't think VKS is politically mature to be Def Min.

And all this, while I still believe VKS was wronged by the MoD and AKA and MMS and this fixed "line of succession" and politics and lobbying among the general is cancerous to the military.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Rest is all fine but what does one need to do to be politically mature for becoming a Def Min ? Who in the past has been a good def min , imo all of them have been let downs including GF, VK Singh comes from the trenches and more importantly is a practical man he is a perfect fit.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

I think that VKS should be asked to head a committee for indigenisation of Army equipment.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Watch this video and observe. And report back the interesting stuff you see (video link is courtesy a kind internet soul)

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/jai-hi ... rds/318284
SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

negi wrote:Rest is all fine but what does one need to do to be politically mature for becoming a Def Min ? Who in the past has been a good def min , imo all of them have been let downs including GF, VK Singh comes from the trenches and more importantly is a practical man he is a perfect fit.
Reminds me of Nehru at Independence resisting appointment of Indian generals to top positions in Indian army instead of British generals, by telling Indians that "You don't have any experience of managing the army." To which, one enterprising general shot back: "Mr. Nehru, what experience do you have to be the prime minister?"
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

vic wrote:I think that VKS should be asked to head a committee for indigenisation of Army equipment.
replied here http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 8#p1635628
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

rohitvats wrote:Watch this video and observe. And report back the interesting stuff you see (video link is courtesy a kind internet soul)

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/jai-hi ... rds/318284

So, 17 Guards are R&S!! That is a big ass radar on that Tatra 8x8, looks like a long range BFSR variant.

Incidentally, look at the formation sign!!

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

vaibhav.n wrote: So, 17 Guards are R&S!! That is a big ass radar on that Tatra 8x8, looks like a long range BFSR variant.

Incidentally, look at the formation sign!! <SNIP>
The radar is our very home-grown BFSR; as for formation sign, the BMP-2 and the men in Quarter Guard were sporting Corps badge!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

what is the badge with wings on the BMP major ?
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Rahul M wrote:what is the badge with wings on the BMP major ?
Rahul

He is wearing Para Wings and ATGM Pilot-Gunner Badge below that.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Rohit,
I have not seen the video carefully. The picture I had attached showns 11 Div as its formation sign. It is a fairly recent Aug 2013 one. This Recce Battalion spread gets more hazy, i thought RAPIDS and some Infantry Divisions had them. Why would a Corps HQ have an R&S Battalion any thoughts?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I was wondering if an armoured forces Major would be para-qualified. do they have a formal badge for the para-dropped BMP thingy ?
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

All ranks wear the para-qualified badge when they are entitled.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I know. I was wondering if the other thing I mentioned above had a badge as well.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

I met an old friend of mine in Dec. A Mech Inf Lt. Col.
Haven't seen anything so.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

I think it is only the paratroopers who like to chuck their BMP's out of perfectly good aircraft.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

rohitvats, so the BRDM Strikers are a thing of the past ? I wonder if the BMP-2 is ideal for the role assigned it as it has only 1 ATGM launcher ?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Sanjay wrote:rohitvats, so the BRDM Strikers are a thing of the past ? I wonder if the BMP-2 is ideal for the role assigned it as it has only 1 ATGM launcher ?
From what I understand, there are two types of R&S battalions. Tracked and wheeled. The BRDM seem to have been concentrated in wheeled R&S battalions. Along with Mahindra Jeep mounted ATGM launchers.

As for suitability of BMP in ATGM role, I guess it is a case of making do with what is available. However, the proposed upgrade for BMP has 2x ATGM + 2 x Flamethrower launchers mounted externally. The Flamethrower launcher it seem consists of Shmel rockets with thermobaric warheads.

NAMICA would be welcome addition to these R&S battalions.

However, there is a bigger story here. That battalion was carrying Corps badge which would make it Corps HQ reserve /unit. But as the 2013 Saint Samchar link shows, till recently it was with 11 Division. As an aside, infantry divisions outside of RAPID also have R&S battalions. Some of them. But the video would place this under Corps HQ which is something I have seen for first time.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Parachute Infantry battalions have platoon of BMP equipped troops. These are one who jump out of a/c.