Indian Space Programme Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Sumeet
BRFite

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion

Post by Sumeet »

Sharief_siva wrote:
Sridhar wrote:Modi asked ISRO to extend the range of IRNSS to all of South Asia. But my understanding was that it already covers it - its stated objective being coverage of the Indian landmass and a range of at least 1000kms, and typically 1500+ kms around it. Or is that understanding incorrect?
I had a discussion recently with people from IRNSS team. They said that the first phase will have 7 satellites with an option of 4 more. China and Pakistan will be covered sufficiently with these 11 satellites. By December 2015, the entire constellation should be up and running. However, the users, mainly Air force and Navy are asking for coverage of the entire world in later phases.

What about Indian ocean region, Bay of bengal, Arabian Sea and Persian Gulf ?
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

Hari Seldon wrote:Image
Mukul ‏@MukulAgarwal66 1m
RT @IndiaHistorypic: 1960s:: Vikram Sarabahi with A.P.J Kalam in ISRO , also seen Madhavan Nair
who is who in the frame?
member_27164
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27164 »

Sumeet wrote:What about Indian ocean region, Bay of bengal, Arabian Sea and Persian Gulf ?
http://gpsworld.com/out-in-front-a-star-is-born/

graphic in this link shows irnss coverage. apart from IOR everything is taken care of. I suppose all SAARC nations are already covered.
member_27164
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27164 »

skaranam wrote: who is who in the frame?
the one looking at the rocket model is APJ, looking at him is Vikram Sarabhai and the one standing at left corner of photo facing Sarabhai is Madhavan Nair.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

I can see Former ISRO Chairman G Madhavan Nair, Abdul Kalam and Vikram Sarabhai
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

Congratulations ISRO for yet another successful launch. Thrilling to see three launches in the first 6 months of this year. I hope to see many more launches of GSLV, and PSLV in the near future. Cheers.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Congrats on a successful launch - More importantly impressed by NAMO being there and showing what is important to him.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"Thrilling to see three launches in the first 6 months of this year."

Definitely, and if we go back to July 1st last year(2013) when the first IRNSS satellite was launched, that makes 5 launches in less than one year: the IRNSS-1A, Mangalyaan, GSAT-14, IRNSS-1B, and now the 5 non-Indian sats. So they have actually surpassed their original goal of 4 domestic launches in one year! Good show!
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Is Modi using a teleprompter? I don't think so, but if not - if he's going through that from memory, that's incredible in itself. However, it is certainly not ex tempore. He is not making it up as he goes along.

I'm guessing it's from memory... I'd like to see Obama try that :D
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

pandyan wrote:Interesting Modiji chose to speak in English!
maybe for international/western tv audience?

it will be easier for foreign networks to play this clip.

for a man who thinks about everything, this must be a decision based on some angle.
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

Gus wrote:
pandyan wrote:Interesting Modiji chose to speak in English!
maybe for international/western tv audience?

it will be easier for foreign networks to play this clip.

for a man who thinks about everything, this must be a decision based on some angle.
Maybe the reason is more tactical.. he is in South India and wanted to reach out to ISRO engineers perhaps? Interesting if true..
Sahastra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sahastra »

Any information on how much we charged for launching these 5 satellites, especially SPOT-7, and how does that compare with satellite launch rates by some of the competing organisations?

It is also a little strange to me that we did not have any payload of our own in this mission.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Mars mission cheaper than the Hollywood movie, Gravity, is simply brilliant. Next time a brown sepoy mentions this as they write for news traders, they better think twice before vomitting.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Good thing about NaMo- his speech is always about being positive. He weaves the old present and future of India in his speeches.
he always quotes Indians in his speech- today he quoted ancestros Aryabhatta, Bhaskaracharya and later satish Dhawan, Vikram sarabhai and former and current cheifs, later talked about as a family- ISRo helping leaders from younger generation.
he also talked about global aspirations of ISRO and indirectly India-->His way is doing without anyone noticing it as propaganada low key simple natural way. brings about vasudaiva kutumbhakam aspect.This is something which no nation or culture has and we must be extremely proud of this concept.
He exudes something positive in whatever he says.
Kudos.
------------------------------------------

About his englsih speech-- the way he speaks is like thinking in Indian language and put those words in english--> manages it beautifully in conveying the required message.
beauty of knowing Indian language is the above. In english one knows non India variety more than Indian one.

JMTs.
Misra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Misra »

JE Menon wrote:Is Modi using a teleprompter?
yep, you can see two of these flanking him
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I'd like to see Obama try that
He is very, very good at it. Has always been.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

NRao I am aware of obamas skills in that area but without TelePrompTer and fully from memory? Ie not ex tempore.... Debatable.

But that looks too much even for Modi. He appears to be using a TelePrompTer too
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Interesting video. Glipses of the GSLV MK3 integration also seen. You can see all SDRE humble folks explaining their work to the PM.
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

MN Kumar wrote:Interesting video. Glipses of the GSLV MK3 integration also seen. You can see all SDRE humble folks explaining their work to the PM.
This was the first ever informative video of any PM's tour of some facility. I always used to wonder, what specifically do they talk/see/discuss. Also very humbling to see the hard work the scientists/technicians must have put to overcome all the technology denial regimes in the past decades. Next time someone rubbishes Indian public funded R&D, this small video will be quite useful.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Nice video! Thanks for posting...
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

member_27164
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27164 »

simply great!!
Hemanth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Hemanth »

Congrats to ISRO for another successful launch. :D
Misra wrote:
JE Menon wrote:Is Modi using a teleprompter?
yep, you can see two of these flanking him
Interesting; didn't notice them when I read the news this morning. You can see them in this picture.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Too late for comment but yet :

Another super launch and another pathetic launch video :twisted: .

From the other video it seems now MK3 is going only in August and july no way.

Another interesting point is that the commentator during the PSLV launch mentioned that in the launch centre there is a screen showing IR video till 500 sec of the launch. Could it be used in the live feed by DD.
ISRO has started with social media etc to attract young mind in the space arena. Why can't it give image of space to such people who are watching the live feed through a better launch video and camera attached to the rocket. Height of cost saving :twisted:

From time immemorial I have been the same angle of core stage ignition , followed by lift off and then few camera shaking followed by rocket going through the cloud. When will DD and ISRO understand that many are interested in the complete rocket flight and not just literally the rocket launch followed by space centre video and a running commentary. :((

Sorry ISRO and DD , but you are insensitive to many such requests for a better launch + flight video of the rockets :twisted:

Please make a change for the better with MK3 launch
juvva
BRFite

Post by juvva »

^@dhiraj
Even if none of the above, I would be more than satisfied, if they remove the commentary and allow us to listen to the controller call outs....
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

juvva wrote: . . . allow us to listen to the controller call outs....
I agree. The commentators must know when to stop and allow the listeners to listen to what is being called out. They feel that they should be talking continuously. I do not blame them, for commenting on TV is not their profession. But, ISRO should take this feedback.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I am saddened to note that a routine launch of a proven launch vehicle is being celebrated as if it is the next best thing since sliced bread. (Pardon my metaphors).

The best way to commemorate routine this launch wold have been a single para press release. Issued by the ISRO.

Letting it be the end of that.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Two Singapore designed & built satellites up in space - Straits Times
SINGAPORE- Singapore now has two new satellite orbiting in space, built by Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

The latest satellites, VELOX-I and VELOX-PIII were launched into space on a rocket from India at 12.21pm Singapore time on Monday, said Associate Professor Low Kay Soon, lead researcher of the project at a press briefing on Thursday.

Designed and built by NTU students and researchers at the NTU Satellite Research Centre, the VELOX-I is a nanosatellite which weighs 7kg. VELOX P-III piggybacks on its bigger brother, the VELOX-I, as one unit but will be separated about two months later.

The satellites carry some new sensors built by NTU students. They want to test if these new products can withstand harsh conditions in space so they can be used to build commercial satellites in future. VELOX-I also carries a camera chip designed by the NTU students. This chip is lighter than commercial cameras currently used in space and could reduce the cost of launching a satellite. The cost of launching one goes up with weight, said Prof Low.
member_27164
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27164 »

isro facebook update:
75% journey is completed by MOM. around 510 million km travelled so far. keep it up!!
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

DD and ISRO haven't heard about HD cameras yet it seems.
At this day and date in the 21st century, India being the 7th largest economy, GOI organizations continue to be backward in terms of media coverage.
It is embarrassing.
The hindi commentator must do a better job, our commentators do this clipped language commentary, well suited for a sarkari TV network - The run of the mill private TV channels are even worse !!!

Many moons ago, we were hoping ISRO will place a few cameras on the rockets, I had even posted some graphics. But alas, it seems ISRO wallas are busy perfecting cryogenic engines onlee, and no one cares about high quality launch videography.
They need to have a chopper or a plane in the air shooting a live video!
They need to share the video feed from their optic tracking cameras with the telecast feed.

Please please ISRO, give us a really really high quality launch video with shots of stage seperation, booster rocket seperation - shot from the ground and the air with excellent mild background commentary (not loud screeching cricket commentary please)

ISRO & ANTRIX please arrive into 21st century media coverage and media management!!!
Please
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

people have successfully bolted consumer gopro cameras onto Mig-31 and video is on youtube.
maybe they dont want to waste engg resources figuring out to safely fit and telecast from onboard cams and the fear that one could break loose and cause some havoc.

does not excuse the absense of cinema quality ground based and heliborne cams though.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

juvva wrote:^@dhiraj
Even if none of the above, I would be more than satisfied, if they remove the commentary and allow us to listen to the controller call outs....
Support one hundred percent...there should be a separate audio feed with just the call-outs and no commentary....

On the point about getting a camera feed from the launch vehicle, the Mangalyaan will approach Mars in September. I am assuming ISRO will re-activate its facebook page and have ISRO engineers answering questions, like they did at the time of launch. That might be an opportunity to ask them 'hey, what's so complicated about this? why this kolaveri di?'
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

India and the satellite launch market - Ajay Lele, The Space Review
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Nice article. IMO, the biggest service Modi can do to ISRO and DRDO is to give them the sanction to take risks & fail. This needs to be coupled with a strong message to the media to be supportive & responsible, especially when failures occur.

In the absence of such a message from the top & with a hostile media that's critical of every small failure, our scientists will forever be risk averse - be it GSLV, manned mission, LCA etc
bharats
BRFite

Post by bharats »

I have a query on the Public Relations protocol at ISRO. In the past; on post launch ISRO chairman address the gathering and news media before the dignitaries are allowed to talk. As a run-through ISRO chairman informs the gathering about the vital parameters achieved for rocket and the health of satellite(s).
In last PSLV C23 launch this just not happened and Modi-ji has directly started speaking. I understand the union government is the boss of ISRO; still chairman is the ‘man at house’. And I trust ISRO chairman is still required to address the dais before anyone speaks and later moderate the session.

Would like to hear your views on below;
1. Does ISRO Public Relations Office have any protocol of mass addressing?
2. Also why ISRO is not allowing the co-passenger representatives to share their views on redeemed ISRO services (Note: ISRO is allowed to represent its view at Arianespace after the culmination of launch).
member_28042
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28042 »

Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

member_28332
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28332 »

symontk wrote:For PSLV, no news is good news. Hope GSLV will also reach that stage soon

Some one asked about the side deepavali rockets, those are SITVC (Side Inertial Thrust vector Control) and not with propellant
If I'm not mistaken, SITVC is Secondary Injection Thrust Vector Control
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

yes you are correct, thanks for the correction

Welcome onboard, seems like its your first post