Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Neshant »

I can't seem to figure out how to buy anything off that Fracktal website. Either my browser is outdated or their website is not set up right. Nobody is going to be able to order anything from them if they can't get their website straight.

That being said, what 3D printer do you guys have and what quality does it produce?

The parts I intend to print for my product prototype won't be tiny, but they will be small. I don't understand what the difference is between an expensive Makerbot Replicator Mini costing $1200+ and something like Fracktal or other such printers.

Ideally I'm looking for something in the $500 range that prints without giving me a hassle. Something like Cubify Cube but where the price of the print material is not a ripoff (as it is with Cubify). Or something like "The Micro 3D" but which is available today or soon.
Last edited by Neshant on 01 Jul 2014 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

> What is the equivalent Android phone to a Lumia 520.

Moto-E and Moto-G are pitted against the 520 and 630

Xiaomi is going to launch 2 models via flipkart next month. one might be mid priced model. the other will surely be their Mi 3 flagship which has gorgeous specs . only downer might be the price tag which will be 30k for sure.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

When you say small, how small (in mm)?
Neshant wrote: That being said, what 3D printer do you guys have and what quality does it produce?
For very rough kaam chalau stuff, MakerBot Replicator otherwise, Objet Eden and Connex.
Neshant wrote: Ideally I'm looking for something in the $500 range that prints without giving me a hassle. Something like Cubify Cube but where the price of the print material is not a ripoff (as it is with Cubify).
The business model for 3D printers is same as inkjet printers - they make their profits off consumables.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Xiaomi Mi-3 is available in the grey market for ~28k, 64 GB model.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Singha wrote:> What is the equivalent Android phone to a Lumia 520.

Moto-E and Moto-G are pitted against the 520 and 630

Xiaomi is going to launch 2 models via flipkart next month. one might be mid priced model. the other will surely be their Mi 3 flagship which has gorgeous specs . only downer might be the price tag which will be 30k for sure.
Maybe equivalent in Indian prices. But in US prices Lumias win hands down. 520 is almost 50$ cheaper than Moto E.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Raja Bose wrote:When you say small, how small (in mm)?
Well the parts are perhaps the diameter of a ping pong ball and they'll be fitted together once printed. Some have gears - not very fine tooth gears but gears nonetheless.
For very rough kaam chalau stuff, MakerBot Replicator otherwise, Objet Eden and Connex.
What about Davinchi XYZ 1.0? Is that any good.
The business model for 3D printers is same as inkjet printers - they make their profits off consumables.
Are the print materials between one manufacturer and another swap-able ? Or would I be tied in to buying it from the printer manufacturer and none other. I rather not be.
member_23651
BRFite

Post by member_23651 »

Google told how many selfies did people in India take with their android phones. Which was creepy :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Is there a walkman am/fm tuner with a midco sd-card for mp3 device that one could use for sport? it should light weight, wearable, or should not be causing discomfort while walking/jogging etc. wires running all over you.
member_23651
BRFite

Post by member_23651 »

^^^Buy a bluetooth Moto S 11 HD headphones, use it with your smartphone strapped to your arm
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Neshant wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:When you say small, how small (in mm)?
Well the parts are perhaps the diameter of a ping pong ball and they'll be fitted together once printed. Some have gears - not very fine tooth gears but gears nonetheless.
That's fairly large. So you should be OK with a low to mid range FDM machine if you are not looking for top quality finish. It also depends on what your end product is. If you want high resolution, multi-colour and all that, you will have to pay big bucks. Like everything else, in 3D printing you get what you pay for. You won't get a 3D printer which is cheap and hassle free, high quality of prints, low post processing and lasts a long time. You will compromise somewhere so it really depends on your exact use/requirements. Cheap 3D printers are a dime a dozen and quality varies a lot. That is why I suggested that you should create some sample models which have the features you need and get them printed by the 3D printer you are looking to buy. Any 3D printer sales rep will get it done for you for free (don't let them BS you into paying - think of it like a test drive at a car dealership) and will also give you an estimate of how much print time, material cost and post-processing was required.
Neshant wrote:
What about Davinchi XYZ 1.0? Is that any good.
Never used it so no idea.
Neshant wrote:
Are the print materials between one manufacturer and another swap-able ? Or would I be tied in to buying it from the printer manufacturer and none other. I rather not be.
In general, no. Even if the material and type of printer is the same (say plastic filament and FDM printer), the spools/cartridges have a chip similar to Inkjet cartidges which prevent the printer from using non-manufacturer cartridges. Buying a 3D printer entails the following cost:
1) Setup cost: Cost of printer and maybe installation.
2) Recurring costs: Cost of material and maybe maintenance (for cheap machines, it doesn't matter as you can use and throw, for expensive machines maintenance contract is a must). You really need to drill down on how much the material costs, how much is regularly wasted if purging is required (depends on type of printer) etc.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

anyone interested in ooma office, let me know.
refer me, you get $50, and I get $50.

:)
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Thanks for the advice on 3D printers Raja Bose.

I'm researching the subject. I'm also researching what the cost of using a print shop like Shapeways would be. The problem is I'll probably have to make lots of modifications to my design and the cost of using a print shop to make & ship the parts would add up. Perhaps I could use them for parts that require high accuracy while using the (low cost) 3D printer I purchase for parts that don't require high precision.

I need something small and with reasonable resolution. I'm checking out Soliddoodle 4, Makerbot Replicator Mini and a few others.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Yes, that is the right approach. Go for it.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

One of the consequences of the deal between S & P: Samsung is closing its video store, but your purchases will survive
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

chilarai
BRFite

Post by chilarai »

seems like there is a phone with cyanogen installed and 3100 mAh battery , would be ideal for me as long as its not notion ink redux , anyone tried ??
www.oneplus.net
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Moto E getting updated to the latest Android 4.4.4 version.
Moto G and X to follow.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

good phones mashallah. I sometimes salivate over the X.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Moto X+1 is right around the corner with 1080p AMOLED display. Prices on the Moto X will drop.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

chilarai wrote:seems like there is a phone with cyanogen installed and 3100 mAh battery , would be ideal for me as long as its not notion ink redux , anyone tried ??
http://www.oneplus.net
Reviews are good and looks top notch for $300. Need an invite to buy it in the states side, may be RBullah knows some one ?? :P
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

and in comparison with iPhone 6, how do you rate moto x++?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

I'd say, different ecosystems. Whether one wants to get in Apple's ecosystem or Google's. Each has pros and cons.
I figured I won't get it all in one device:
Under 5 inch screen
Awesome camera
Huge battery
Pure or almost pure and fast Android
Dual sim
Under ₹35K

With the 1520 I have the camera so I can live with and average to decent camera. Will like a compact Android with near 3000mAH battery and easy after sales support in India. Moto X and G dual sim will be close compromises.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

If you up the screen size requirement, one plus will also be a good candidate, significantly costing lower. Display is not amoled, but it is notna slouch. Its got the fastest processor in town and runs cyanogen. I've been running cynogen for years and it works.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

I've been running cyanogen on my skyrocket for a while as well. Going to upgrade to kitkat slim rom soon. My only concern wth OnePlus would be unavailability in India and if i drop it, not sure about any after sales service.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Unavailability is indeed a problem, but it only costs a bit more than high end desi-panda phones, being panda made, surely there wont be any A-S-S, but I'm sure you will get the components in aliexpress or ebay :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.mi.com/in/

Xiaomi is going to launch its flagship phone for only 15k soon. it has the specs better than MotoX which retails for 25k at present. its Nexus5 class phone at half the price.

http://www.mi.com/in/mi3/#features
http://www.mi.com/in/mi3/#fullspecs

I want one!! the only drawback is lack of microSD slot and internal 16GB rather than 32GB expected of a high end phone.

it blows micromax and xolo clear out of the water.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

SDXC support and absence of any 4G bands is a downer. Add those and I'll pay extra 3k. Sad its only the Chinese who we have to turn to.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Warranty support, for one?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

wouldnt a purchase off ebay US be subject to customs duty here even if the seller were willing to ship to india at less cost?

I am not speaking for the tiny minority of indians who have frequent visitor type friends/family to buy stuff from there but the options for avg man on street.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ASUS is relaunching in India with 3 models very nicely priced between 6k to 16k - Zenfone 4, 5, 6
it sports 4.3 but says upgradeable to 4.4
full page ad in TOI and intel atom cpu http://www.asus.com/in/

another sharp bite at the xolo,lava,mmx,moto-G/E thing.

I might switch back to android in a years time....just waiting and watching to let good models settle around the 15k price point enmasse down from 25k. long live Xiaomi for starting the trend.

Sammy imo has lost it in india - continuing to push its dated galaxy duos line with not even cosmetic changes and mostly still 4.2 with no clear upgrade path to 4.4
and its flagship models are too expensive to be mass market. neither it has the brand value of apple to be peddling dated models like the iphone4 here.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Folks at customs are chota pakis they held a couple of laptops of our KB which were sent to India division from Massa . It took a couple of weeks of back and forth phone calls and paperwork to secure their release .

My friend in Virgina had mailed me a custom automatic watch last year marked as gift , I had to pay a meaty sum as custom duty on it for they could not get the item's price list as it comes from a small shop .
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

how many watches do you have and specs?
I have a cheap casio $15 type digital from 2008, a timex triathlon digital from 2011(it has 9 timers which helps with run/walk interval timings), a victorinox that I got as a gift from wife from BJs at deep discount and nice white casio analog wife again forcibly gifted me in bial one day.
thats the problem with women, when they want to gift you cant stop them with logic saying its surplus..its all puppy love!

all things told , its good to have a wife and a couple kids though :mrgreen:
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I used to collect watches , I still have my grandpa's HMT handwound watch . Now I am a grounded munna and no longer spend money on such perishable items. I have two germans one each from Stowa and Sinn, a custom swiss automatic which my friend gifted me and a Timex ironman for rough use.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

negi,
rather than mail, why not ask someone whos coming to wear it and bring? easier to bypass customs no?

I used an ipad after a long time. The level of smoothness in its working puts my android to shame. Despite all their quirks and nonsense, and rabid rah-rah followers, apple does make a shakinaw product.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and the tight fit and tolerances mean even kids with greasy hands and saliva can make no dent on it. I am a real believer after 2 yrs with a ipad + my two kids doing their best to ruin it...with zero effect.
and they really support their older product with periodic updates.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

True. On a recent flight, a kid dropped his ipad a thousand times. No dent, no scratch, no nothing. Kept on ticking.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

how does a phone like asus, oneplus or xiaomi get updated to latest androids? it is hinged on the manufacturer keeping a website with a tested upgrade which the phone checks and downloads or its left to the user to use Odin(shudder :roll: ) for a DIY upg after searching in android forums for a right build and hope it flies?

the oneplus has some build called cyanogenmod ... is it amenable to them building another version over latest android and releasing it user via download?

what I dont want is a good phone but with a sw that grows old/boring quickly and no easy means to get periodic upg or makers who dont care for upg at all (xolo/mmx/lava types who buy 100K blocks from cheen and shanzhai maker moves on...).

that way moto-G/X is atleast some visibility that upg's will come.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^ seems you are unfamiliar with cyanogenmod. It started out as a solution to the problem you just described. My skyrocket would have been stuck at Gingerbread for a long time if not for them. Now there are others (like on XDA) that provide builds for different hardware. I would expect cyanogenmod to keep their Oppo phone builds current. I'd trust them more than your major phone company.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

do they have a automated process to download fresh image?
I dont want to much around with odin ever, once was enough!