Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 21 Apr 2014

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 21 Apr

Post by Nandu »

shinee wrote:Check out the rest of the pictures.

Through a foreign lens: The Other Pakistan
Usually, when one talks about "the other X", one is talking about the poor and underclasses of society. In the Paki case, I guess it is now accepted that being a terrorist or beggar is the normal state of affairs, so they talk about the RAPE as " the other".
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nandu wrote:

Usually, when one talks about "the other X", one is talking about the poor and underclasses of society. In the Paki case, I guess it is now accepted that being a terrorist or beggar is the normal state of affairs, so they talk about the RAPE as " the other".

+108. True this is the reality and MMS wanted to talk to this "other" RAPE as if they matter.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Peregrine wrote:IMO the writings on the wall seem to have been STENCILED.

Cheers Image
I don't get this convoluted alliance between ISPR, ISIS and Afghan Tellibuns? What gives? And who would write this unholy wish?
sadhana
BRFite

Post by sadhana »

anupmisra wrote:
Peregrine wrote:IMO the writings on the wall seem to have been STENCILED.

Cheers Image
I don't get this convoluted alliance between ISPR, ISIS and Afghan Tellibuns? What gives? And who would write this unholy wish?

Convoluted if you think of Pak Army as a normal Army. BIG MISTAKE. They are paid supporters of Saudi Arabia's religio-political aims in the ME (being paid handsomely for it) and are helping fight for ISIS to establish Taliban like govt in the Syria-Iraq region and get Iran isolated, if that is what Saudi Arabia wants.

Bombing Waziristan to smithereens : Because US will pay
Fighting alongside ISIS : Because Saudi Arabia pays
REAL anti-extremist operations : zilch. They are carrying out the paid-for operations but letting the extremists run away.

If India said 'we will pay you to prosecute LeT for Mumbai' they will hold a big show trial and yet let the LeT operatives get away.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 21 Apr 2014

Post by Peregrine »

At last India has a Prime Minister!

India non-committal on timeframe for foreign secretary-level India-Pak meeting

NEW DELHI: India on Friday remained non-committal on the timeframe for a meeting between its foreign secretary and her Pakistani counterpart, a day after Islamabad said they will meet soon.

Recalling foreign secretary Sujatha Singh's remarks following Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's visit here in May, the ministry of external affairs' spokesperson said they will talk first and then meet.

Singh had said the foreign secretaries will be in touch and that there are different ways to talk.

The spokesperson said both have diplomatic mission in each other's country and they are in touch "but if you are asking me if the foreign secretaries have talked, then my answer is let them talk first and then they will meet".

A meeting between foreign secretaries of the two countries was agreed upon when Sharif had visited India in May to attend the oath-taking ceremony of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Pakistan's foreign office spokesperson Tasnim Aslam had said in her weekly briefing on Thursday.

"They (Sharif and Modi) directed the two Foreign Secretaries to meet and look at how the process of dialogue is to be taken forward. That meeting would take place in not very distant future, though I cannot give you the exact date. That meeting would give indication where this process is headed. So we won't like to pass a judgment right now," she had said.

Cheers Image
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

sadhana wrote:
anupmisra wrote:{quote="Peregrine"}IMO the writings on the wall seem to have been STENCILED.

Cheers Image{/quote}

Convoluted if you think of Pak Army as a normal Army. BIG MISTAKE. They are paid supporters of Saudi Arabia's religio-political aims in the ME (being paid handsomely for it) and are helping fight for ISIS to establish Taliban like govt in the Syria-Iraq region and get Iran isolated, if that is what Saudi Arabia wants.

Bombing Waziristan to smithereens : Because US will pay
Fighting alongside ISIS : Because Saudi Arabia pays
REAL anti-extremist operations : zilch. They are carrying out the paid-for operations but letting the extremists run away.

If India said 'we will pay you to prosecute LeT for Mumbai' they will hold a big show trial and yet let the LeT operatives get away.

PAA (Pak Apostate Army) has taken the Koranic concept of blood money to new lows!!!

They want money to spill blood.
And they want money to do the right thing.
When Colin Bin Powell threatened to bomb them to stone age after 9/11 they rolled over and sold the bad Taliban. Force is all they understand.
sadhana
BRFite

Post by sadhana »

ramana wrote:

PAA (Pak Apostate Army) has taken the Koranic concept of blood money to new lows!!!

They want money to spill blood.
And they want money to do the right thing.
When Colin Bin Powell threatened to bomb them to stone age after 9/11 they rolled over and sold the bad Taliban. Force is all they understand.
Iran could have bribed them by gifting them pipeline and oil and gas and stuff. Pakistan might have then consented to put up a fake show of some kind for them too. :roll:

It will be fun to watch Pak internal tussles when US and Saudi Arabia get estranged. And in the near future, bet China gets angry about the Ughyurs and US encourages Pak to keep giving China a hard time via jihad.

Pakistan will live through interesting times if its 3 + 1/2 masters from Afghan jihad days become at odds with each other over who against and where to wage jihad.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Nandu wrote:

There is a pisko reason too. The article starts off by saying "western media portrays Pakistan as poor, but look! we have rich people too!!" Probably lamenting the loss of what Hakeem usually says. If you visit Pakistan, you used to go to some RAPE's house, shoot a few bustards, eat a few samosas while the unwashed abduls stayed out of light. If you visited India, you see unwashed abduls on the street going about their daily business.

Now things have changed. The only reason people go to Pakistan is to cover the latest bomb blast or to supply aid to internal refugees. In which case you see a Hafiz-e-suar gathering with all the beards spitting hatred and people living in tents without polio drops. Hence the takleef "Look at us! we have cars too!!"

Salman Taseer once is reputed to have visited India and remarked "When I look out of my window, I see BMW and Mercs parked, not these kind of ramshackle vehicles I find in India". Well, the ones in India arent carrying bombs. And we made them right here.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/islamabad/ ... ion-papers
Arsalan Iftikhar, son of former chief justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Chaudhry, received certified copies of nomination papers of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan from the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Friday.
Addressing a press conference on Friday, Arsalan said he has approached the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) and will also move the Council of Islamic Ideology and NADRA to take up the issue of Imran Khan’s “daughter” and get related details. He said he would pursue Imran Khan’s case to its “logical conclusion” and claimed that the PTI chief professes morality in his public rallies and processions, but does not practice it. “Mr Imran Khan please tell me isn’t Tyrian your daughter? Can you deny that? Why are you dissociating yourself with your offspring?” he asked.
If Immy does have an illegitimate daughter (he probably has many) he is disqualified from standing for elections as because of Article 62 of Paki constitution only a "good muslim" can be elected to office. During the last elections, the returning officers disqualified candidates for not being able to recite verses form Koran on demand. That reminds me. Why isnt anyone performing lungi check on election candidates?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

A familiar lick spittle in full bloom.

I don't remember seeing his impassioned support for salman rushdie :lol:

Forbidden pages
A.G. Noorani

THE Raj bequeathed to the subcontinent a strong tradition of book banning as well as a legal mechanism for the aggrieved to challenge the ban in court. The tradition is excellently documented in Prof N. Gerald Barrier’s book Banned: Controversial Literature and Political Control in British India, 1907-1946.

The legal mechanism was embodied in Section 99-A of the Criminal Procedure Code 1898. It enabled “any person having any interest” in the banned literature to move the high court to set aside the ban.

The application had to be headed by a special bench of three judges, the order had to state the grounds which were limited to violations of specific provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) of 1860. Sedition was one of them.

The absence of protests against book bans is saddening.
Another was Section 295-A on “deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious feelings”.

Anyone even slightly familiar with the English law will notice that the ‘guilty mind’ is an essential ingredient of the offence. Criminal laws are construed strictly. The accused gets the benefit of the doubt.

Section 295-A was inserted in the IPC and drew a well-reasoned response from a great liberal and champion of civil liberties, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, in the Central Legislative Assembly. He said on Sept 5, 1927: “I thoroughly endorse the principle, that while the measure should aim at those undesirable persons who indulge in wanton vilification or attack upon the religion of any particular class or upon the founders and prophets of a religion, we must also secure this very important and fundamental principle that those who are engaged in historical works, those who are engaged in the ascertainment of truth and those who are engaged in bona fide and honest criticism of a religion shall be protected.”

Neither Jinnah nor the sponsors of the law would have imagined that nearly a century later, Section 295-A, would be invoked against a historian of repute Wendy Doniger. Her work is entitled The Hindus: An Alternative History. The very subtitle suggests an effort at an original interpretation even as her doctorates in Sanskrit and Indian Studies testify to a certain empathy for Hindu thought.

The critic was one Dinanath Batra of the Shiksha Bachao Andolan (Save Education Campaign). He is the head of the educational arm of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. He had scored five such ‘victories’ and warned that there were more ‘milestones’ to be crossed. Public uproar encouraged one to feel that the man was baying at the moon and that the nadir of book-banning had been reached.

In this, we were all wrong. For, precisely around the same time Orient Blackswan withdrew a book it had already published and sold last April: Communalism and Sexual Violence: Ahmedabad since 1969 by Megha Kumar.

This is far worse than the state banning a book under the colour of a law. It is an extra-legal act by a non-state actor. The book records Ahmedabad’s history over a period spanning five decades, specifically examining the infliction of sexual violence against Muslim (and in one case Hindu) women in three major episodes of Hindu-Muslim rioting.

The author reveals: “The ostensible reason Orient Blackswan has given is that, on April 14, the Shiksha Bachao Andolan Samiti, an affiliate of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, served a legal notice to one of Orient Blackswan’s older textbooks.”

What is saddening is the absence of public protests against this vicious trend. Newspaper editorials are no substitute for those protests. The silence speaks a lot for the political clime.

Public opinion in poisoned clime can be very repressive; scholars, intellectuals, students and teachers cannot compete against hooligans. The state, moreover, always plays safe.

In 1989, in a case concerning the film Ore Oru Gramathile, the Tamil Nadu government pleaded that it had aroused protests by Dalits and might create a law and order problem.

The Supreme Court’s stinging rebuke applies to all such situations: “We want to put the anguished question, what good is the protection of freedom of expression if the state does not take care to protect it? If the film is unobjectionable and cannot be constitutionally restricted under Article 19(2), freedom of expression cannot be suppressed on account of threat of demonstration and processions or threats of violence. That would be tantamount to negation of the rule of law and surrender to blackmail and intimidation. It is the duty of the state to protect the freedom of expression since it is a liberty guaranteed against the state.”

In the quarter century which has elapsed since the court has given quite a few judgments on free speech; but none as strong as the one of 1989.

The writer is an author and a lawyer.

Published in Dawn, July 12th, 2014
sadhana
BRFite

Post by sadhana »

Aatish Taseer's book was brought up during trial of Salman Taseer's killer Qadri.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-2 ... seer-s-son
July 03, 2011
As Shahryar Taseer the son of late Salman Taseer appeared in the court, Malik Muhammad Rafiq the lawyer of Malik Muhammad Mumtaz Qadri asked as to how many times did his father marry in his life. Shahryar Taseer said, Four. To a question from the lawyer whether all wives were legally valid and the women were Muslim, he replied in the affirmative. But the lawyer countered him saying that his late father had gone to India in 1982, when dictator Zia-ul-Haq was in power, and he married a Sikh woman. The Sikh woman gave birth to a child named Atish Taseer in India at that time.

Do you know Atish Taseer, your brother? asked the lawyer and Shahryar answered in the negative. The lawyer presented a book titled Strange to History in court, saying that it was written by Atish Taseer, son from Sikh woman. Shahryar Taseer admitted that Atish had written a book on the life of his father which was published in India.

Malik Muhammad Rafiq, the lawyer told the court that Atish Taseer has written in the book that his father ate pork, drank excessively and had affairs with several beautiful women. Atish Taseer came to Lahore to meet his father Salman Taseer but he refused to meet him. Slahuddin Ahmed the closest relative of Salman Taseer arranged a secret meeting between Atish and his father. In the meeting Atish demanded rights of his mother and himself as well but Salman Taseer refused, said the lawyer.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Anujan wrote: Now things have changed. The only reason people go to Pakistan is to cover the latest bomb blast or to supply aid to internal refugees. In which case you see a Hafiz-e-suar gathering with all the beards spitting hatred and people living in tents without polio drops. Hence the takleef "Look at us! we have cars too!!"

Salman Taseer once is reputed to have visited India and remarked "When I look out of my window, I see BMW and Mercs parked, not these kind of ramshackle vehicles I find in India". Well, the ones in India arent carrying bombs. And we made them right here.
I used to dismiss this attitude with the term "cognitive bias" where you assume that your personal (RAPE) environment and ambiance represents the environment and ambiance of all of Pakistan.

But in the ensuing years it appears to be that even though that is correct - I am missing something extra - an extra vulgar twist that Pakistanis seem to have. In most functioning countries - certainly in India - people have or have been made to develop a sense of ownership of the whole land. This feeling makes one sorry when you see injustice or poverty and want to do something to address it. Everyone may not feel that way but even if one in ten people feels that way it constitutes a huge percentage of patriots or nationalists.

But Pakistanis, particularly the cabal of Pakjabis, Sindhis and mohajirs - have been continuously rejecting parts of Pakistan that they see as "the other, other Pakistan" and do not give a damn about what happens there. Anything from that part of the country has nothing to do with them - be it deaths, bombs, polio or maternal mortality. They did that with Bangladesh. They are doing that with Baluchistan and Waziristan, in fact large parts of KP/NWFP. They did it very long ago with PoK- so people have forgotten about that.

As is this was not enough - there is yet another layer of the same rejection/ denial of inconvenient poverty and dirt within core Pakistan (Pakjab and Sindh) where the RAPE speak like Salman Taseer. I haven't figured out the exact mental process and education that gets them to be this way. the closest I can get is like the minor Muslim chamchas and functionaries of bigger rulers being satisfied by overlordship across a small area of land and great personal wealth. This is not nationalism. Pakistan is a fragile state and can be knocked over. It should be knocked over.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Not just a pipe dream, India to set up gas line to Pakistan.

India’s plans of exporting gas to Pakistan via a pipeline from Jalandhar in Punjab to the Wagah-Attari border will soon become a reality.

Finance minister Arun Jaitley is seen in this TV screengrab as he announces the Union Budget in Lok Sabha in New Delhi. (HT Photo)
In his maiden Budget presented in the Lok Sabha on Thursday, finance minister Arun Jaitley exempted liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports from customs duty if it is meant for onward sale to the neighbouring nation.

“Exemption from basic customs duty (of 5%) is being granted on re-gassified LNG for supply to Pakistan,” the Budget said.

This will set the stage for the state-run Gail India Ltd, which plans to build a `500-crore pipeline to export five million units per day of regassified-LNG to Pakistan, to start work on the ground. “Its an important project that will help improve bilateral diplomatic and economic ties between the two neighbours,” Dharmendra Pradhan, minister of state for petroleum, told HT.

“Broad parameters have been agreed to and a contract will also be signed shortly between the two sides after which it will take one year to build it,” Gail CMD BC Tripathi told HT.

Interestingly, citing security concerns, New Delhi has put on hold a plan to be part of a `10,000-crore pipeline originating in Iran, passing through Pakistan and terminating in India to carry gas from Iran’s South Pars gas fields. Security experts felt that being dependent on gas coming via Pakistan could compromise India’s energy security.

But the Gail pipeline will be built entirely on Indian territory and terminate at the border, thus, making it relatively safer.

Faced with a serious gas shortage, Pakistan wants to import gas from India. Gail will import LNG in ships at ports on the Indian west coast and then pipe the gas to Jalandhar. The proposed 110-km pipeline will then carry the fuel to the Wagah-Attari border, from where Pakistan will supply it to Lahore.

The source added that Gail, which imports LNG at $13-14 per unit, would sell the gas to Pakistan at around $21. The cut in customs duty will bring down the cost.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Anujan wrote:Sialkot statistics at work

http://tribune.com.pk/story/733818/fy14 ... ts-to-imf/
After denying it for weeks, the government has finally admitted that economic growth for the recently-concluded fiscal year is expected to be around 3.3% – the worst in years – breaking the myth of economic revival in the first year of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) government. The admission, however, was only made in front of the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Publicly, the government has maintained that the growth in 2013-14 stood at 4.1%.
:wink: Meanwhile ................ South Asian wins award for Madrassah Maths:

Indian mathematician Nikhil Srivastava named joint winner of 2014 George Polya Prize
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Ah the chutzpah! NWA admin looking to book CIA chief
Implementing the Islamabad High Court’s orders, the capital police have approached the political agent of North Waziristan Agency (NWA) to get a case registered against former station chief, Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), police officials told Dawn on Friday.
for killing his son Zaheenullah and a brother Asif Iqbal in a drone strike the same year Mr Banks was CIA station chief in Islamabad at that time
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

shiv wrote:............................
I used to dismiss this attitude with the term "cognitive bias" where you assume that your personal (RAPE) environment and ambiance represents the environment and ambiance of all of Pakistan.

But in the ensuing years it appears to be that even though that is correct - I am missing something extra - an extra vulgar twist that Pakistanis seem to have. In most functioning countries - certainly in India - people have or have been made to develop a sense of ownership of the whole land. This feeling makes one sorry when you see injustice or poverty and want to do something to address it. Everyone may not feel that way but even if one in ten people feels that way it constitutes a huge percentage of patriots or nationalists.

But Pakistanis, particularly the cabal of Pakjabis, Sindhis and mohajirs - have been continuously rejecting parts of Pakistan that they see as "the other, other Pakistan" and do not give a damn about what happens there. Anything from that part of the country has nothing to do with them - be it deaths, bombs, polio or maternal mortality. They did that with Bangladesh. They are doing that with Baluchistan and Waziristan, in fact large parts of KP/NWFP. They did it very long ago with PoK- so people have forgotten about that.

As is this was not enough - there is yet another layer of the same rejection/ denial of inconvenient poverty and dirt within core Pakistan (Pakjab and Sindh) where the RAPE speak like Salman Taseer. I haven't figured out the exact mental process and education that gets them to be this way. the closest I can get is like the minor Muslim chamchas and functionaries of bigger rulers being satisfied by overlordship across a small area of land and great personal wealth. This is not nationalism. Pakistan is a fragile state and can be knocked over. It should be knocked over.
Shivji, sorry for the long post.

A while ago- don't have so many posts on BR so it should not be hard to find- I'd proposed the filter of (IIRC) 'Rejection and Divorce' for understanding the actions of a Pakistani individual, group, caste, sect, organization or even the entire nation state.

In short, the Pakistani's mental conditioning forces drives him to reject 'everything that is not him', and divorce it with usually violent consequences. Anything can and has been defined as the 'everything that is not him'.

This rejection could be of a philosophy, an individual, a group, a religion, a car, a building..anything. It's happening all the time, over or under the surface.

1947 was Jinnah's rejection of and divorce with the rest of India, a process begun under Syed Ahmad Khan. India was defined as 'everything that Jinnah and others like him were not'.

The 50s saw the Armed Forces rejecting of and divorcing with the politicians post Jinnah. The politicians were everything that the army wasn't.

1971 was Pakistan's rejection of and divorce with Bangladesh. Bangladesh was a 'low lying country with low, lying peoples', according to the Pakistani elite at the time.

Baluchistan is continuing evidence of the same work in process. Thus far the divorce has not been completed.

Zia separated and divorced himself from Bhutto, Qadri from Taseer's philosophy, the TTP from the Pakjabi army. The son of a senior Pakistani air force officer who set up a car bomb in the NY, USA, rejected America and tried to violently divorce what it stood for.

And so on.

Note; they also reject their own mango abduls. They reject other families, clans, castes, tribes, other regions and provinces. Your point of "...the cabal of Pakjabis, Sindhis and mohajirs - have been continuously rejecting parts of Pakistan" is very valid.

It gets more insidious- at the heart of who they are, Pakjabis and their other elites, have also rejected their own identities in favour or a Saudi, Turkish, Iranian world view. This is IMO the biggest and most recurrently exploding time bomb of all.

Because they don't want to be who they are, they are rejecting and divorcing their very self, which is the ultimate font of violence.

Whereas other healthier cultures also 'accept and assimilate' apart from 'rejecting and divorcing', Pakistan and Pakistanis can only do the latter.

I have found this framework to be useful if one wants to predict how they will react over a period of time to pretty much anything.

My 2 cents. AoA.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Section 295-A was inserted in the IPC and drew a well-reasoned response from a great liberal and champion of civil liberties, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, in the Central Legislative Assembly. He said on Sept 5, 1927: “I thoroughly endorse the principle, that while the measure should aim at those undesirable persons who indulge in wanton vilification or attack upon the religion of any particular class or upon the founders and prophets of a religion, we must also secure this very important and fundamental principle that those who are engaged in historical works, those who are engaged in the ascertainment of truth and those who are engaged in bona fide and honest criticism of a religion shall be protected.”

Apparently the irony is lost on that old fool and hypocrite Noorani.
LakshO
BRFite

Post by LakshO »

Vipul wrote:Not just a pipe dream, India to set up gas line to Pakistan.

India’s plans of exporting gas to Pakistan via a pipeline from Jalandhar in Punjab to the Wagah-Attari border will soon become a reality.

Finance minister Arun Jaitley is seen in this TV screengrab as he announces the Union Budget in Lok Sabha in New Delhi. (HT Photo)
In his maiden Budget presented in the Lok Sabha on Thursday, finance minister Arun Jaitley exempted liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports from customs duty if it is meant for onward sale to the neighbouring nation.

“Exemption from basic customs duty (of 5%) is being granted on re-gassified LNG for supply to Pakistan,” the Budget said.

This will set the stage for the state-run Gail India Ltd, which plans to build a `500-crore pipeline to export five million units per day of regassified-LNG to Pakistan, to start work on the ground. “Its an important project that will help improve bilateral diplomatic and economic ties between the two neighbours,” Dharmendra Pradhan, minister of state for petroleum, told HT.

“Broad parameters have been agreed to and a contract will also be signed shortly between the two sides after which it will take one year to build it,” Gail CMD BC Tripathi told HT.

Interestingly, citing security concerns, New Delhi has put on hold a plan to be part of a `10,000-crore pipeline originating in Iran, passing through Pakistan and terminating in India to carry gas from Iran’s South Pars gas fields. Security experts felt that being dependent on gas coming via Pakistan could compromise India’s energy security.

But the Gail pipeline will be built entirely on Indian territory and terminate at the border, thus, making it relatively safer.

Faced with a serious gas shortage, Pakistan wants to import gas from India. Gail will import LNG in ships at ports on the Indian west coast and then pipe the gas to Jalandhar. The proposed 110-km pipeline will then carry the fuel to the Wagah-Attari border, from where Pakistan will supply it to Lahore.

The source added that Gail, which imports LNG at $13-14 per unit, would sell the gas to Pakistan at around $21. The cut in customs duty will bring down the cost.
:eek: Has anybody in all of Nai Dilli figured out how that pig sty of a nation plans to pay for this LNG? :evil: Or, will payments be an outstanding issue that will be settled along with/after Siachen, Sir Creek, Kishenganga, core issue of Cashmere, 26/11 Mumbai trial etc are settled?
<sarcasm>I don't know if achche din have arrived for Bharat mata but looks as if they have arrived first for pakis :P As a distinguished former PM, an economist to boot, said Muslims have first right to resources :evil: Didn't realise that it includes achche din </sarcasm>

Thoo!!!
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Bjorn Biglund has informed me that he has submitted a letter to Dawn, but because of his atheistic Swedish origins, he does not think it will get published.

Interesting article by the arch-hypocrite Mr. Noorani, who after years of peddling such sly nonsense in India and being called out is now resorting to the charity of online space in Pakistani papers. Where was his concern for book-banning when Rushdie's books were banned (in India) and when there were death threats against Taslima Nasreen. How is it their names are missing from the article? Is it because Dawn would then have told him to stuff his clap-trap where the sun shines only in Khyber Pakhthunkhwa? And who on earth is Noorani to give a certificate of scholarship and "empathy", no less, to Wendy Doniger - which suggests one of two things: (1) he has no clue about what she has written now and in the past, or (2) he does and sympathises with this silly depraved woman's portrayal of a civilisation and its culture of which he partakes of the benefits of, but has no appreciation for? Maybe Mr. Noorani should trying moving to Pakistan. No chance of that, is there Noorani?
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Meanwhile, faux angst about the perspectives on the "Other Pakisatan" photographs

http://www.dawn.com/news/1118595/cvc
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Musharraf's Exit Deal: Groper Gilani spills the beans - DT
Former prime minister Yousaf Raza Gilani revealed on Friday that the PPP had held several rounds of talks with the establishment over Pervez Musharraf’s exit, and the former military ruler had resigned after an “agreement” between the government, opposition and the establishment.

Addressing a press conference, Gilani said he, along with then president Asif Ali Zardari, held talks with the establishment. He said that it was not possible to have Musharraf resign without the consent of establishment, and confirmed that the PML-N was also involved in the dialogue process. The former premier said the PML-N should not have lodged a case against Musharraf, as it was decided that he would not be impeached if he resigned himself. “How could a strong general resign without any agreement!” he remarked.

Gilani said the PPP and PML-N leadership had decided to go for impeachment of the former military ruler, however, negotiations were held between the civilian leadership and establishment in which it was decided that if Musharraf resigns from the Presidency he would be given a safe passage. Responding to a query regarding whether the PML-N was taken onboard by the then PPP government on giving safe passage to Musharraf, Gilani said that all political forces were taken on board. He said PML-N’s decision to frame charges of treason against Musharraf was not justified, and the matter should be left to the courts to decide.

Gilani claimed that during the negotiations, the former army strongman had been guaranteed a safe passage in exchange for his resignation from the president’s office. He said that the PML-N’s stance on and treatment of Musharraf was not appropriate and reiterated that the PPP had adhered to the reconciliation policy of former premier Benazir Bhutto, adding that it would not side with those seeking to undermine democracy. He said there was no chance of any positive change in the country in the coming months.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Taliban Debate Merits of Islamic State's Caliphate Announcement - DT
The Afghan Taliban have urged Muslims to avoid extremism and remain united, a message apparently aimed at the Islamic State (ISIL), which recently declared an Islamic caliphate in territory it controls in Iraq and Syria.

The Arabic message, posted on the Afghan Taliban’s website on Thursday and translated by SITE intelligence group, addressed fighters in Iraq and Syria whose announcement of a caliphate last month poses a direct challenge to al Qaeda’s dominance of global militancy. “It is worthy for a shurah (consultation) council to be formed from the leaders of all the jihadi factions and the distinguished people among the experts and the scholars in Sham (Syria) in order to solve their conflicts,” the message said.

“Muslims also should avoid extremism in religion, and judging others without evidence, and distrusting one another,” it said. “They should avoid conflict and dispute, and not think their opinions are better than others. Mercy and compassion should prevail.” :rotfl: On June 29, an al Qaeda offshoot previously known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant announced that it had renamed itself Islamic State and proclaimed its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as “Caliph” - the head of the state. The group had fallen out with al Qaeda over its expansion into Syria, where it has carried out beheadings, crucifixions, and mass executions.

Some Taliban, including some of the younger commanders, were enthusiastic about ISIS. In small mud homes in Pakistan’s Waziristan, men eagerly debated the new movement. Pakistan’s own insurgency is on the back foot after the military launched an offensive against the Taliban’s key stronghold last month. Most senior commanders are in hiding. Drone strikes have depleted many of the Taliban’s and al Qaeda’s most experienced and charismatic commanders.

“We are happy with the great efforts of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Dozens of my colleagues from here are with them. Soon Sham and Iraq will be Islamic states,” said one militant in his thirties who commanded 60 men. “I like the way of fighting ... it is a very effective,” he said, wearing a vest with ammunition and hand grenades. “We need that here in Pakistan. Many of our fighters have gone there,” he added. Younger fighters sitting on the muddy carpet around him nodded and jostled to get closer. Many had video clips from ISIL burnt on to discs that they played on a computer.

“We like the modern way of there fighting, it is really a holy war, God send us there,” said one. But another Pakistani commander interviewed by Reuters said he doubted that many fighters considered al-Baghdadi to be their global leader. “No militants see (al-Baghdadi) as their leader,” he said, speaking to Reuters on the phone. “But no one will talk against him.” In Bannu, where hundreds of thousands of Pakistanis displaced by the military’s latest offensive have fled, graffiti praising ISIL has appeared.

“Congratulations to the chief of Syrian organisation Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi,” said one message on a hospital wall in front of the military’s heavily guarded cantonment area. Two previously unknown Pakistani militant groups have also sent out messages pledging allegiance to the Islamic State, but their strength and existence could not be verified.
The Taliban is saying this to prevent an exodus from the AQAM ranks in Af-Pak to ISIL.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Biglund penetrates the the crack of Dawn again (no fun intended)

http://www.dawn.com/news/1118643/forbidden-pages

See comments
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

JE Menon wrote:Biglund penetrates the the crack of Dawn again (no fun intended) http://www.dawn.com/news/1118643/forbidden-pages

This sour puss noorani guy resembles someone we all know so well.

"Shut the hell up" Walter

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Bjorn Biglund seems to know a lot about India. Well done Bjorn ! :wink:

PS: There are many witnesses for Biglund's penetration of Dawn.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I hope the dumb asses insist on advance payment, giving credit is wasting Indian tax payer money. What a stupid idea. Dont see why when there is a Gas shortage in this nation we have to do this.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Aditya_V wrote:I hope the dumb asses insist on advance payment, giving credit is wasting Indian tax payer money. What a stupid idea. Dont see why when there is a Gas shortage in this nation we have to do this.
Aditya_V Ji :

India is prepared to supply re-gassified LNG ar US$ 20 per mmbtu where as the Land of the Pure and Home of Terrorists wants Ntural Gas as US£ 13 to 15 per mmbtu.

Will India supply it at US$ 13 to 15 per mmbtu?

I doubt it.

Cheers Image
Rana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rana »

Vipul wrote:Not just a pipe dream, India to set up gas line to Pakistan.

How does it make sense to have a pipeline from Iran through Pakisatan to meet India's needs, and at the same time justify a pipeline going the other way to export from India? Would like to see those two project reports for creative cost benefit analysis.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Rana wrote:How does it make sense to have a pipeline from Iran through Pakisatan to meet India's needs, and at the same time justify a pipeline going the other way to export from India? Would like to see those two project reports for creative cost benefit analysis.
It makes sense because both are 'peace pipes'. The policy confusion wrt Pakistan continues. Just as some of us here expected.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

If there are tubes with gas coming out of them then they can only point to Pakistan.

Wasn't it Kejriwal who said BJP and Khangress are chips off the same block?
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

partha wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Very odd that a Pakistani would hire a Filipina maid. Is there a shortage of poor people in Pakistan?

Or do they not trust the poor people in Pakistan.
Basically, Pakistan is a front line all lie of Philippines' war on unemployment and poverty. Pakistan demands reimbursement of $5 Biilion for fighting Philippines' war.

Peregrineji,

will write a letter to Kulkarni uncle.
Pakistan is also a victim of Filipino maids?
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

shiv wrote:I am sure the diversity and piety of sunni Islamic groups in Pakistan can only be increased by the presence of ISIS in Pakistan.
India should stop oppressing Muslims.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

CRamS wrote:DoCji,

You may be right, but knowing the TSP obsession with India and India alone, I find it hard to believe that TSP will actually be working with ISIS. Unless of course, it has Uncle's blessing lest shiites with Iran's blessing dominate Iraq at Uncle's expense and he needs a balancer. Short of that, I can't see why TSP would risk Uncle going after LeT when TSP has such leverage over India through LeT.
TSP providing military services to Saudis and their minions is an old established tradition, it would be surprising if they are not helping ISIS now. (For this purpose, there is no difference between TSPA and LeT et al).

And US won't go after ISIS (and by extension LeT et al) any more than they went after pre-9/11 Taliban. There will be, as there was then, a lot of talk about "concern" but in reality there will be a lot of deal-making, as there was with pre-911 Taliban.

It is surprising that after all this time, anyone would cling to the idea that TSP has to fear that the US will ever teach TSP or its non-state-state actors a lesson of any kind.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Nandu wrote:

The RAPEs seriously believe that their lowly status in the world vis-a-vis Indian SDREs is because India has cultivated a better image. Articles like this are their actual, earnest effort to fight back in this image war that exists in their mind.

We are dealing with Pakis and not latter-day Paninis and Patanjalis here, and articles like this are helpful reminders of that fact.

As a side comment (yes OT, sorry) the DIE problem is that they don't have the measuring stick that allows distinguishing between Pakis on the one hand, and Paninis / Patanjalis on the other hand (though all happen to be from roughly the same region).
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

Based on some conversations with the RAPES, it also appears that they are absolutely sure about the moral superiority of Islam over Hinduism. For instance, one RAPE I know repeatedly says, "there must have been something better than Hinduism in Islam and that's why so many Hindus converted to Islam." Given this point of view, just being Islamic makes them superior to us despite everything else that plagues their country and Islam in general.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Ashok Sarraff wrote:Based on some conversations with the RAPES, it also appears that they are absolutely sure about the moral superiority of Islam over Hinduism. For instance, one RAPE I know repeatedly says, "there must have been something better than Hinduism in Islam and that's why so many Hindus converted to Islam." Given this point of view, just being Islamic makes them superior to us despite everything else that plagues their country and Islam in general.
Remember the old Simon & Garfunkel song, "I'd rather be a hammer than a nail...(yes I would, if I only could)"

It's the superiority one feels with being associated with a predator than with the prey. The song also captures the wistfulness of the desire to be superior.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

chetak wrote:A familiar lick spittle in full bloom.

I don't remember seeing his impassioned support for salman rushdie :lol:

Forbidden pages
A.G. Noorani

THE Raj bequeathed to the subcontinent a strong tradition of book banning as well as a legal mechanism for the aggrieved to challenge the ban in court. The tradition is excellently documented in Prof N. Gerald Barrier’s book Banned: Controversial Literature and Political Control in British India, 1907-1946.

The legal mechanism was embodied in Section 99-A of the Criminal Procedure Code 1898. It enabled “any person having any interest” in the banned literature to move the high court to set aside the ban.

The application had to be headed by a special bench of three judges, the order had to state the grounds which were limited to violations of specific provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) of 1860. Sedition was one of them.

The absence of protests against book bans is saddening.
Another was Section 295-A on “deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious feelings”.

Anyone even slightly familiar with the English law will notice that the ‘guilty mind’ is an essential ingredient of the offence. Criminal laws are construed strictly. The accused gets the benefit of the doubt.

Section 295-A was inserted in the IPC and drew a well-reasoned response from a great liberal and champion of civil liberties, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, in the Central Legislative Assembly. He said on Sept 5, 1927: “I thoroughly endorse the principle, that while the measure should aim at those undesirable persons who indulge in wanton vilification or attack upon the religion of any particular class or upon the founders and prophets of a religion, we must also secure this very important and fundamental principle that those who are engaged in historical works, those who are engaged in the ascertainment of truth and those who are engaged in bona fide and honest criticism of a religion shall be protected.”

Neither Jinnah nor the sponsors of the law would have imagined that nearly a century later, Section 295-A, would be invoked against a historian of repute Wendy Doniger. Her work is entitled The Hindus: An Alternative History. The very subtitle suggests an effort at an original interpretation even as her doctorates in Sanskrit and Indian Studies testify to a certain empathy for Hindu thought.

The critic was one Dinanath Batra of the Shiksha Bachao Andolan (Save Education Campaign). He is the head of the educational arm of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. He had scored five such ‘victories’ and warned that there were more ‘milestones’ to be crossed. Public uproar encouraged one to feel that the man was baying at the moon and that the nadir of book-banning had been reached.

In this, we were all wrong. For, precisely around the same time Orient Blackswan withdrew a book it had already published and sold last April: Communalism and Sexual Violence: Ahmedabad since 1969 by Megha Kumar.

This is far worse than the state banning a book under the colour of a law. It is an extra-legal act by a non-state actor. The book records Ahmedabad’s history over a period spanning five decades, specifically examining the infliction of sexual violence against Muslim (and in one case Hindu) women in three major episodes of Hindu-Muslim rioting.

The author reveals: “The ostensible reason Orient Blackswan has given is that, on April 14, the Shiksha Bachao Andolan Samiti, an affiliate of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, served a legal notice to one of Orient Blackswan’s older textbooks.”

What is saddening is the absence of public protests against this vicious trend. Newspaper editorials are no substitute for those protests. The silence speaks a lot for the political clime.

Public opinion in poisoned clime can be very repressive; scholars, intellectuals, students and teachers cannot compete against hooligans. The state, moreover, always plays safe.

In 1989, in a case concerning the film Ore Oru Gramathile, the Tamil Nadu government pleaded that it had aroused protests by Dalits and might create a law and order problem.

The Supreme Court’s stinging rebuke applies to all such situations: “We want to put the anguished question, what good is the protection of freedom of expression if the state does not take care to protect it? If the film is unobjectionable and cannot be constitutionally restricted under Article 19(2), freedom of expression cannot be suppressed on account of threat of demonstration and processions or threats of violence. That would be tantamount to negation of the rule of law and surrender to blackmail and intimidation. It is the duty of the state to protect the freedom of expression since it is a liberty guaranteed against the state.”

In the quarter century which has elapsed since the court has given quite a few judgments on free speech; but none as strong as the one of 1989.

The writer is an author and a lawyer.

Published in Dawn, July 12th, 2014
So, a private business should be forced by public protest into releasing a product for which there is no business case? How was this guy ever a lawyer?
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Ashok Sarraff wrote:Based on some conversations with the RAPES, it also appears that they are absolutely sure about the moral superiority of Islam over Hinduism. For instance, one RAPE I know repeatedly says, "there must have been something better than Hinduism in Islam and that's why so many Hindus converted to Islam." Given this point of view, just being Islamic makes them superior to us despite everything else that plagues their country and Islam in general.
Highly evangelical religions have always tended to attract the lower IQ segment of the population - so there's no particular mystery to this. Both evangelical Christianity & Islam, as examples, are growing rapidly WITHIN The US - and the PEW statistics on education and other attainment by denomination are there for all to see.
dada
BRFite

Post by dada »

#ashok sarraff,

islam is collectivistic , while hinduism is individualistic system of beliefs & values. In terms of social organisation / muslims more easily assemble into a mob through religious sloganeering ( witness the mobocratic behaviour & its manipulation by fiery speeches after the friday namaz).
Apart from a more simple & compact set of basic beliefs (which can be more easily drilled into the psyche of the young converts), the military USE of the assembled masses for organised violence seems to be the only superior aspect of islamic cultures. All other aspects can be bull-dozed/substituted by the military aspect. And muslims are not at all apologetic about it . Infact they are proud of it. They believe that , this approach delivered them success in the medieval past & it will deliver success , even in the future.

Once you neutralise this military aspect , the islamic civilisation has no practically no chance of survival in 21st century world.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

JE Menon wrote:>>Section 295-A was inserted in the IPC and drew a well-reasoned response from a great liberal and champion of civil liberties, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, in the Central Legislative Assembly. He said on Sept 5, 1927: “I thoroughly endorse the principle, that while the measure should aim at those undesirable persons who indulge in wanton vilification or attack upon the religion of any particular class or upon the founders and prophets of a religion, we must also secure this very important and fundamental principle that those who are engaged in historical works, those who are engaged in the ascertainment of truth and those who are engaged in bona fide and honest criticism of a religion shall be protected.”

Apparently the irony is lost on that old fool and hypocrite Noorani.
Maybe someone should point out to the thoughtful author author that the great liberal champion of civil liberties, Jinnah, argued in favor of Ilm-ud-din who had murdered Rajpal because his feelings were hurt that Rajpal's company published the book "Rangeela Rasool". Note that Rajpal didnt write it, his company published it. Fittingly the champion of civil liberties spoke out in favor of Ilm-ud-din and defended him vehemently in court. Thus the champion of civil liberties started the tradition of defending people who murder citing blasphemy. It has persisted to this day when Qadri, who shot salman taseer was garlanded and showered with rose petals by lawyers. Maybe Bjorn Biglund should point this out? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilm-ud-din