Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
negi
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by negi »

My first washing machine and still working like a German diesel engine is a front loader from Siemens , it is silent and gets the job done with lesser water as compared to my mom's top loader from LG.

Issue in desh is lack of localization, successful and virtually perfect products somehow do not work here be it a Honda civic or a top of the line front loader from BSH GmBH they fail to show same results here because conditions are different. Pathetic roads and mountainous speed breakers mean we need cars with tractor like GC , hard water and poor transportation will fck up any machine built with low tolerances .
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

the first TV we bought was a colour sony trinitron , bought it from 2000 odd way back in 1980's , used it from 14 odd years and exchanged it for an LG, went for 3500 :rotfl:
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Raja Bose wrote:Despite best attempts of Chacha-e-Android-weepy Pichai maharaj:

Samsung keeps its distance from the Android pack with Galaxy Apps store

Not to mention a Sammy ploy to further squeeze Chacha....not that they haven't been doing it since the early Galaxy S days.

I wonder how guggul landed in such a shitty spot with respect to sammy.

They could have easily made MOTO a success, like they did with the last two models of MotoG and X .

Instead, they sat on their butts and made middle of the industry phones in Moto, saw their investment drop from 12bn to 2bn and then sold it to lenov. Their testimonials would have not been as sore, had they held onto Moto and made a success out of it, primarily by making a success of the low cost versions that are doing well now and thereby squeezing the testikcles of sammy
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

google seems not interested in making successful product, merely in using cash to play spoiler to make life tough for others.
and that is a game of diminishing returns. brick by brick areas of their vast empire are having strong warlords like fbook they could not dislodge. they never seem to stick around in one area and work through problems and support a product to make it a success...instead like a locust swarm they will give into one field, create a splash, and then move on .... AI, robotics, self driving cars, big data, server design, internet using balloons...there is not one idea they are not seemingly working on .... sometimes I think they just want to create a hype about a new market segment to stampede others into investing and building products...while after proof of concept product with android they just move on...
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

I ended up purchasing this 3D printer that was launched on Indigogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/craf ... /x/8103788

I hope it works as advertised. I got in at the $399 funding level before it got sold out. Its supposed to arrive in August. Its a risk buying untested, brand new stuff. But its a risk I'm willing to take.

If it works, I should be able to start developing the mechanical part of my product prototype.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Post your review of the printer here, when you get it and do a few sample prints.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

I sure will Raja Bose.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Print BRF logo as a test. :)
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I suggest Neshant prints a bust of Bernanke as a test for his 3D printer.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Cruel Tanaji, very cruel.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

whoops! Main guy for Chacha Chashma heads to Takla co.

That's not good given the currently raw state of Google Glass.

Mean-e-while, Mickey reacts to ChromeBooks...perhaps feeling the heat a bit?
member_23651
BRFite

Post by member_23651 »

Guys I am facing one issue on my chrome browser. Whenever I open a news site, like TOI, Hindu or HT. The links are not visible. And news content page just shows up blank. I reset my browser settings, yet the problem persists. Any ideas how to solve this issue?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Neshant with his 3d printer might be so welcome in LM dhaaga.. people's imagination are best in there! :)
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

br0thas...

Here are some pics from the company itself with test prints at 300 microns (vase) and the max resolution of 100 micron (frog) below. I don't have the printer yet but if its as good as advertised, I'll be happy. Its supposed to arrive in August.

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attac ... 1405344145

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attac ... 1405344388

By the way what does LM stand for.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

LM = Love and Misery
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

Dear BRFites,

Need help to decide on a purchase of a laptop for the following purposes:
1. Running security - Open Source based tools in a Virtual Machine
2. Running 2 additional Virtual Machines on a bridged network running web server and a database server each
3. Doing a little bit of photoshop - Creating presentations
4. Emails, Browsing, and a must have - MOVIES

I have a budget of 1000 EUROS and have received an apple gift voucher of 250 EUROS. I was suggested a non-retina MBP, as it fits the bill and i can upgrade the MEM and SSD.

As i have to use the voucher, i thought to invest in a business tool that could handle all. As of now im using a Thinkpad and it needs replacement.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

BR
Girish
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Can mbp run multiple vm and bridge traffic among them and outside world?
i have seen ppl run windows vm on mbp at work but only one vm.

it almost seems like you need a 1u type pizza box server with vmware esx or msft hyperv on bare metal and your set of vm.
you can then apply policies and features on the internal physical and virtual switch ports.
and 16gb of ram so each vm and host os has plenty.

a laptop is generally not designed for months of continuous uptime as a server.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

If you vm-ing, as many cpu-cores would help. I would focus on 8 cores or 16 hypers! cpu config entirely depends on the nature of services rendered using the cpus. number of requests per given time slice, and how what business process are your trying to achieve.

for example, if the cpu is capable of doing 100 requests per minute, and your requirement is 101, then it just about fails.. do similar analyiss to find exact needs.
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

Singha wrote: it almost seems like you need a 1u type pizza box server with vmware esx or msft hyperv on bare metal and your set of vm.
Thanks. Yes, i thought to use AWS (Amazon Web Service), untill 2 things coincided, a free apple voucher and the challenges of firewalls. So i have to be able to develop behind the client trusted (but on different VLAN) side of the infrastructure.

Seems like MBP wont suffice. :-? I was thinking to get Dual core i5 2.4, with 16 GB 1600 and put in some SSD.

@ Saik: Yes certainly will have a look at what you suggested. Thanks.

BR
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Well the cuts are rumored to go beyond Nokia. Hopefully some "program managers" too get the axe in M$. They neither program nor manage and a significant fraction of them are just bloated middle management.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Every second guy in MS is a "Program Manager". What's the job description?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Program managers in MS are not middle management positions - they are entry level positions. They manage features, not people which makes it a pretty thankless job methinks given the propensity to get kicks from both ends of the spectrum :twisted: Anybody who has ever interviewed for Microsoft in college will know that they are asked to choose which position to interview for: SDE, SDET or PM. PM type roles work best for enterprise software which is what Microsoft's traditional bread and butter has been in the past but don't work as well for stuff like what their Entertainment business does.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Program managers are "the interface between engineers and customers" (if you have seen office space). Sadly it is also a way to progress up the management chain.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

In other companies, yes. In MS they have a different job profile than what the rest of the industry has for the same designation. Which why other folks in the industry get confused. PM in MS is in the engineering career ladder, same as a SDE or SDET and people I know do switch between the roles even while in the same team. There is nothing "management" specific in it despite the designation and there is no advantage to being a PM vs a SDE when it comes to visibility or upward mobility. When we were in madrassa and SDREs were lining up for interviews with MS, almost universally they used to choose SDE or SDET and would not go anywhere near choosing to interview for PM. When asked why, they would universally claim that they had zero work experience hence, how could they "manage" anything right out of college?? :lol:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo girish, it might still make sense to try out your sw/concept by leasing some temp VMs on a cloud provider before investing in the hw to make it private. for any type of server load, availability etc you really need a proper desktop or rackmount server ... even basic things like dual redundant power supplies with hot swap cannot be done on laptops. if its for your own fun and use, then laptop is fine. infact even on windows/linux, there is a free sw called virtualbox inside which you can install further VMs and arrange the networking as you want, good for quick and seamless prototyping albeit not with the performance of esx or hyperv.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

in open src linux world there is kvm as the free hypervisor integrated into red hat and ubuntu and 'ovirt' as the management GUI to manage your mini data center - compute, network, storage...(a kind of analogue to msft SCVMM and vmware Vcenter tools). it uses libvirt inside the linux hosts to get things done.
http://www.ovirt.org/Home
mostly all these open src sw uses http://openvswitch.org/ as the sw switch inside the box.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Raja Bose wrote:In other companies, yes. In MS they have a different job profile than what the rest of the industry has for the same designation. Which why other folks in the industry get confused. PM in MS is in the engineering career ladder, same as a SDE or SDET and people I know do switch between the roles even while in the same team. There is nothing "management" specific in it despite the designation and there is no advantage to being a PM vs a SDE when it comes to visibility or upward mobility. When we were in madrassa and SDREs were lining up for interviews with MS, almost universally they used to choose SDE or SDET and would not go anywhere near choosing to interview for PM. When asked why, they would universally claim that they had zero work experience hence, how could they "manage" anything right out of college?? :lol:
Yup, PMs in Microsoft are more about writing features/requirements. A feature triad (as it is called in MS) is a SDE/SDET/PM for that feature. Across all three streams, people have gone up the chain to become VPs. SDE, PM and SDET start at same pay grade and are all part of engineering stream at MS.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

One question to the maulanas hiyar - my Galaxy S4 went for an unfortunate swim with me, and now I need to replace the entire display unit. Fatka is of the order of 12k.
What to do? Suck it up, or go for a new S5 / Xperia Z2? SHQ insists I just buy a new one, but this kanjoos baniya reasons that as the phone is less than a year old, I should get the new display and continue for one year.
On the other hand, friend is going to HK, can get the new S5 LTE-A with 1440x2560 screen, SD805 for ~35k. What to do, what to do...?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Sir I would suggest get the Xiaomi Mi3 for 14k (now prebooking on flipkart) or the MotoG for the same.
get out of the Sammy overpriced turdware loop.
xperia is good but again a very scary price tag.

with a 14k phone you can afford to change every yr if you dont like it.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I dont know who's in charge at the guard post, but yahoo mail is becoming increasingly laggy/buggy to use lately.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

KJo's chamak challo Marissa, who else? :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

two more xiaomi phones with excellent specs to be sold starting august. I am getting sorely tempted here.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/xiaomi-annou ... 02-11.html
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

BhairavP wrote:One question to the maulanas hiyar - my Galaxy S4 went for an unfortunate swim with me, and now I need to replace the entire display unit. Fatka is of the order of 12k.
What to do? Suck it up, or go for a new S5 / Xperia Z2? SHQ insists I just buy a new one, but this kanjoos baniya reasons that as the phone is less than a year old, I should get the new display and continue for one year.
On the other hand, friend is going to HK, can get the new S5 LTE-A with 1440x2560 screen, SD805 for ~35k. What to do, what to do...?
Replace the entire phone. You never know where all water damage has been done and cause phone to suddenly go kaput without warning or behave like a Paki jernail on herpes. The phone has water indicators inside - take out battery cover and check if they have changed colour to pink.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

^Oh, there is plenty of water damage inside the phone. All through, scary amounts of whitish chlorine/sediment deposits inside.
Singha saar - saw that. One issue though - I travel a lot, and need a phone with expandable memory and an extra battery - I have the Anker 5200mAh battery, which helps a lot when I'm on field.

Any chance of the Xiaomi coming in a 64GB model?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

OK, then its a no-brainer for sure. Replace the phone.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there are even 10,000mah power banks being sold now if that helps.
xiaomi is a craze in singapore per a review I read. sold out within few minutes of bookings opening.
but no 64gb or 32gb internal model.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

^Yep, didn't see the 64GB model on FK.
However, an intrepid seller on eBay.in is selling the 64GB Mi3 for 25500. NO warranty, of course.
Thinking of the Z2, will go over to the local phone store over lunch and check it out.
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

Singha wrote:imo girish, it might still make sense to try out your sw/concept by leasing some temp VMs on a cloud provider before investing in the hw to make it private. for any type of server load, availability etc you really need a proper desktop or rackmount server ... even basic things like dual redundant power supplies with hot swap cannot be done on laptops. if its for your own fun and use, then laptop is fine. infact even on windows/linux, there is a free sw called virtualbox inside which you can install further VMs and arrange the networking as you want, good for quick and seamless prototyping albeit not with the performance of esx or hyperv.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

in open src linux world there is kvm as the free hypervisor integrated into red hat and ubuntu and 'ovirt' as the management GUI to manage your mini data center - compute, network, storage...(a kind of analogue to msft SCVMM and vmware Vcenter tools). it uses libvirt inside the linux hosts to get things done.
http://www.ovirt.org/Home
mostly all these open src sw uses http://openvswitch.org/ as the sw switch inside the box.
Thanks Singha. Im convinced that above is the right way to proceed, as running it all on a laptop seems a bit stretched. I thought beefing up helps, but tested it out yesterday, and seems do-able, but laggy.

I installed the virtualbox, but some integration with some tools is not seamless, as compared to a bare metal installation.

Decided to go with the following:

http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/ubuntu-openstack

I will run these via VPN, so it will serve the requirement for the client. Meanwhile, will purchase a MBA for client side work.

Appreciate it.

Girish
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

time to buy appil I guess
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Got the Z2. Excellent phone, good battery life.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

mi4 is on release track for july22.
oneplus users are dhoti shivering at potential h&d loss.