Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 11 June 2014

Post by chetak »

dinesh_kumar wrote:^ Well.....yes. As per google.
How is google involved?

If there are no inputs of any kind on the net, how will they get their data??
member_28173
BRFite

Post by member_28173 »

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/if-pa ... 1406881154

How to "Rollback" such statements ?

NOTE : Yes I am Idiotic Peace-NIK...... May be even sometime Sonia-bhakt. Mostly Modi-Bhakt. Change Philosophy frequently?

I will say "Glad that you have your 'head'-quarters in 'Rawal'-pindi "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawal

Chand
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Errr!! And what was that? I hope its not Gen Bull Sh*tting! That too on the day he is leaving. So, I sincerely hope, its true and the news comes out at least unofficially via some rumour mill blog!
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ dear Chetak, thanks for the clarity (I searched in different way)

I think I found out exactly what Gen BS meant.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-1 ... k-soldiers

So..................Pakis were killed in cross border firing. No raid was sanctioned by Gen BS.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

dinesh_kumar wrote:^ dear Chetak, thanks for the clarity (I searched in different way)

I think I found out exactly what Gen BS meant. http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-1 ... k-soldiers. So..................Pakis were killed in cross border firing. No raid was sanctioned by Gen BS.
Are you out of our mind here?

You're looking at Google search to tell you whether Indian Army carried out a cross-border raid or not? And you're trying to verify that by statement(s) given out by Pakistan Army? As if PA will admit any such thing in the first place!

Only God and IA know what IA does on LOC and LAC - that statement does not mean it was the ONLY action undertaken by IA. And you'll never know unless someone like Major General GD Bakshi says explicitly on TV what his unit did to PA on LOC. Or, we have leaked information here and there.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Arey, But Indian Army has complete non desi fetish. They even import heads from pakistan onlee...
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

schinnas wrote:Congrats to Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag. Great to have a fit soldier who rose through from humble background (without family connections, etc). Per most accounts he is a no-nonsense go getter and can even take measures that are murkier from a gentleman's perspective. Best person to deal with Paki perfidity.

All the rumour mongering about the new COAS is in bad taste without any proof. RAW and Modi would have done their due diligence and decided to stick with the General. Absolutely no need to cast aspersions. COAS should get our full support and respect that the position and person deserve.
At last a Jat COAS. We in Haryana used to think that there is an unwritten law that Jat can never be COAS because of hot temperament.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

So now go and vote in next assembly election. :D
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

There may be some disputes among higher ranks due to personal or career reasons but it does not reflect on their capabilities or Patriotism. I think our New Chief would do us good.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Pakistan captures BSF jawan swept away in Chenab river
PTI | Aug 6, 2014, 07.37 PM IST

JAMMU/NEW DELHI: A BSF jawan deployed along the India-Pakistan border was captured by Pakistani forces early on Wednesday after he was swept away by a strong current of the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir.

The Border Security Force (BSF), immediately after the incident occurred early morning, sought a flag meeting with their counterparts Pakistan Rangers for getting the jawan back.

"We are in touch with Pakistan Rangers and have sought a flag meeting. We are hopeful that our trooper will be handed back to us sooner than later," BSF chief D K Pathak said.

Officials said the trooper, identified as Satyasheel Yadav of the water wing of the border guarding force, was out on a patrol with three other personnel in the Paragwal-Khour sub-sector of general area Akhnoor along the Line of Control when the boat they were travelling in developed a problem.

They said that when the patrol squad was negotiating a narrow bend in the river in this sector, the engine of the motorboat failed.

A rescue boat later sent to fetch the BSF men was taken by three personnel but Yadav got drifted in the strong current as the rope holding him snapped and he subsequently landed 400 metres away in the Sialkot sector of Pakistan where he was picked up the Rangers, they said.

A Rangers official confirmed the capture as he told PTI that a BSF personnel had entered Bajwaat sector, about 150 kms from Lahore.

"We are interrogating him whether he crossed into our side inadvertently or he had any other design. We will also speak to the BSF officials concerned about it," the official said.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Tolpar gains popularity in India

http://m.in.rbth.com/arts/2014/08/05/to ... 37179.html
In April this year a Russian martial art system of knife fighting, known as Tolpar, was introduced in Mumbai. The chief instructor of the school, Kirill Lyubin, and his team conducted a series of training sessions for martial art practitioners and police personnel. These events included a star-studded demonstration at Naigaon police headquarters for women constables and volunteers of the NGO Mukti. In attendance at the event was the Hindi film superstar Akshay Kumar who is himself a martial arts expert. “I realized he was a VIP guest at the grand event,” Lyubin recalls, “He arrived early and I taught him some of the technical elements of knife fighting so he could use them in his movies.” Speaking at the event, Akshay Kumar had pointed at the usefulness of Tolpar for self-defence, saying that, “I think for knife fighting you do not need power but you need to be intelligent to tackle the situation. I am sure this technique will be helpful for those undergoing training.”
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

Army jawan killed in J-K gunfight
excerpts
While the exchange of fire stopped in the morning, the troops were carrying out searches to flush out militants believed to be hiding in the dense forest close to the LoC in the Tanghdar sector, about 165 km from Srinagar.

A defence official said a search operation was launched on Tuesday evening after some suspected movement was noticed near Gagadari forest, six km inside the LoC.

"The militants opened fire on the search party. In the gunfight, a soldier N K Damodar Thapa of 3/1 Gorkha died," the official said. The Army said the exchange of fire continued for almost two hours.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140807/main5.htm
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Discovery Channel to feature a show on LOC on Aug 15

http://www.discoverychannel.co.in/revea ... f-control/
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

also posted in military aviation thread

India offers to buy more Apache helicopters, hopes to drive down costs

India has offered to increase an order for U.S. Apache helicopters to drive down costs as the two sides race to close a $1.4 billion deal, officials said, the first big military contract since a new government took office in New Delhi.

The Apache gunships and a deal for Chinook helicopters, both built by Boeing, top the agenda for visiting U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s talks on Friday with India’s incoming administration led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

India and the United States have rapidly expanded military sales in recent years, despite discord in areas such as trade and intellectual property rights.

Washington is keen to further step up defence cooperation with India, which it sees as a key strategic partner in Asia in the face of an increasingly powerful and assertive China.

India has offered a follow-on order of 39 AH-64D Apache helicopters in addition to the 22 now being negotiated, a defence ministry official said. The two sides have been wrangling over the price of the gunships in a deal estimated to be worth $1.4 billion.

The initial batch of helicopters is meant to replace the Indian Air Force’s ageing fleet of Soviet-era aircraft and will be armed with Hellfire and Stinger missiles.

The Indian army has separately requested a fleet of at least 39 of these attack aircraft, some of which will be deployed as part of a new mountain division it is raising along the disputed border with China, an army official said.

“The point is we are looking at 60 to 70 pieces eventually, so the expectation is the vendor will factor that in, in the price negotiations,” said the defence ministry official, asking not to be named in line with ministry policy.

U.S. defence sales to India have grown from the low hundreds of millions of dollars in the decade to 2008 to more than $9 billion since that year.

According IHS Jane’s, a defence research firm, India was the top foreign buyer of U.S. arms last year.

U.S. officials say there is the potential for billions of dollars of new sales in the next few years and are hoping the Modi administration can overcome bureaucratic obstacles that have held up some deals.

The two sides are also in talks to finalise a contract for the Indian Air Force to buy 15 CH-47F Chinooks, a twin-rotor helicopter capable of lifting heavy loads, also valued at $1.4 billion.

CONVERGING INTERESTS

Hagel’s trip, which will also take him to Australia, is focused on converging U.S. and Indian interests in the Asia-Pacific, the Pentagon said.

It follows U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry’s visit last week and is part of the build-up to Modi’s talks with U.S. President Barack Obama in Washington in September aimed at revitalising ties between the world’s two largest democracies.

Hagel will discuss ways to strengthen military cooperation with India including exercises, defence, trade, co-production and co-development, Pentagon press secretary Navy Rear Admiral John Kirby said.

India’s cabinet has just cleared a proposal to allow 49 percent foreign participation in the defence industry, up from a current cap of 26 percent, in a bid to boost local manufacturing and end its decades-long dependence on overseas acquisitions that made it the world’s biggest arms importer in recent years.

Some Western manufacturers have been lukewarm about the raising of the cap on defence investment, saying it did not go far enough for them to transfer technology to India.

But Lalit Mansingh, an influential former Indian ambassador to the United States who has been pushing for greater ties with Washington, said it was a good start.

“Companies that want 100 percent will wait till the sector is opened up fully, but I am pretty sure there are American companies ready to come in,” said Mansingh. “They have been eyeing the market for a while now.”

Source : Reuters

So total 22+39=61 apache ah64D will be ordered
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

These are like the Trojans being introduced into India. There were issues in which the sensors were to be inspected by the U.S. So having such U.S equipment at sensitive places is not good. Its better to avoid such acquisition if such rules do exists on inspection etc.
Rien
BRFite

Post by Rien »

uddu wrote:These are like the Trojans being introduced into India. There were issues in which the sensors were to be inspected by the U.S. So having such U.S equipment at sensitive places is not good. Its better to avoid such acquisition if such rules do exists on inspection etc.
Exactly. It makes no sense to buy the Apache. Cancel this deal. We have great rotorcraft capability, and an expensive Apache simply makes no sense. The PA tanks, like the Al-Khalid, are simply no threat with our current inventory. It's not as if the PA is a monstrous army that requires billion dollar investments to defeat. With stock equipment, we can beat them black and blue in 24 hrs.
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

Apache Block 3 is a formidable bird, it has very advance features including state of the art long range radars/ IRST etc. It can command UAVs. Clearly they will be used in a theatre command and control role for IA's Attack Formations and IAF's future fleet of LCH/ Rudra helos (neither of which have such long range radar abilities). The problem is not Pakistan but China which has strength in numbers. Eventually Apaches can be fitted with Helinas by the time of deliveries. Having them only makes the rest of the fleet of LCHs and Rudras that much more deadly as they can be deployed effectively. Apaches will be force multipliers for India's attack chopper fleet. A fleet of 70 is good, 22 for IAF i.e 1 squadron and 48 for Army i.e 4 squadrons (1 for each of the 4 strike Corps of the IA)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0qPJQogRqw8/T ... ements.jpg
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

uddu wrote:These are like the Trojans being introduced into India. There were issues in which the sensors were to be inspected by the U.S. So having such U.S equipment at sensitive places is not good. Its better to avoid such acquisition if such rules do exists on inspection etc.
The rules allow for inspections but at a time and place of India's choosing which basically means they can be scheduled when the aircraft is ferried to the depot for servicing or at an otherwise permissible location like an airport. No access to sensitive areas is ever allowed. In practice, aside from a single offsite inspection of the Jaleshwa's NVDs in 2012, the agreement has never been enforced.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

I'd slap maruti company if they tell me that car I'm going to buy will be inspected by them that I'm not leaking their tech to hyundai.

This shows the high-handedness of US and how low it sees the relation with us. The %$*%$*&%$ should check out their fellow same race anglo-saxon britishers and others...... there is no way we should allow them to heap on this humiliation.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

I'd slap maruti company if they tell me that car I'm going to buy will be inspected by them that I'm not leaking their tech to hyundai.

This shows the high-handedness of US and how low it sees the relation with us. The %$*%$*&%$ should check out their fellow same race anglo-saxon britishers and others...... there is no way we should allow them to heap on this humiliation.
1\ Apples to Oranges your comparison doesnt really make sense. This system of doing checks for IP leakages is prevalent in many industries including SemiCon . Defense and its proliferation is a whole different gambit.

2\ I hardly see any over high handedness that we need to complain about. They are market makers we have to play by their rules - everybody does. We need to blame only ourselves for the position we are in considering the amount of importance on Science and Technology our founding fathers harped about on our independence. If we dont like it we dont have to buy.

3\ The Chinese have bought US/western equipment before and have a stellar job in reverse engineering their tech. We could grow a pair and do the same.

4\ Nobody can humiliate you (us) . We however can always choose to feel humiliated and play the victim.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

They are market makers we have to play by their rules - everybody does.
"Customer is always right" is american expression.

We don't have to play by their rules, we bought combo of Mig-29 and M2k to counter their sale of F-16 to porkis. Never did soviets or french put such conditions on us though Mig 29 and M2k were their latest and top secret projects of the time.

In fact I want to be educated if americans do this check up for the platforms bought by their fellow white-western-caucasian-anglos whether britain, canada, australia or newzealand? Or is it just for "others"?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Dhananjay wrote:I'd slap maruti company if they tell me that car I'm going to buy will be inspected by them that I'm not leaking their tech to hyundai.
You may be surprised, take a closer look at the EUMA for the various softwares that run on your computer.
Its also been signed by all other Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, Slavic etc customers and NATO allies. And likely the other way too, for equipment being bought by the US. In practice, it is the nitty-gritties of the contract (such as agreements to source raw material only from OEM) that have a greater practical impact.
Dhananjay wrote:We don't have to play by their rules, we bought combo of Mig-29 and M2k to counter their sale of F-16 to porkis. Never did soviets or french put such conditions on us though Mig 29 and M2k were their latest and top secret projects of the time.
Most of the equipment sold by the Soviets during the 70s and 80s (including the MiG-29) was of downgraded 'monkey-model' variants.
Last edited by Viv S on 08 Aug 2014 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

^I don't remember ever that Bharat has ever signed and had such an inspection for Mirages, Mig-29 or anything ever bought from anybody. Did the germans inspect Shishumars like this every year? Its only khan that does it.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

can some one please elaborate about this "inspection funda " of US sold equipments ??
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Shocking lack of maturity amongst the top echelons. I really feel that Army needs to do two things to fix its HR
1) Make promotions less dependent on only ACRs because it promotes the chamchagiri culture which is spreading like plague 2)Remove the batmen or sahayak system

Major Generals kick up a row at movie screening
AHMEDABAD: More than 300 Army officers and their family members had to go home disappointed when the screening of Salman-starrer "Kick" at cantonment here was cancelled following a public showdown between general officer commanding of 11 Infantry Division, Maj Gen SS Hasabnis, and additional director general of National Cadet Corps, Maj Gen Dilawar Singh. The incident occurred around 8 pm on Sunday.

An Army source said, "Major General Singh informed the staff at Walker Hall that he would arrive with his wife to watch the movie. The 300-seater hall was full when the Singhs reached the hall. The couple sat in the front row where seats for the GOC are reserved. Ten minutes later, Major General Hasabnis walked up to Maj Gen Singh and asked him to vacate the seat in front of everyone in the hall. When Singh refused, Hasabnis asked the staff to cancel the show. Soon, a slide flashed on screen, stating that the movie cannot be shown due to 'technical error'. Everyone went home disappointed."

Within minutes, a message narrating the incident went viral. It stated, "ADG... rank of Major General sat down on GOC's seat, the only seat available at movie hall for general rank officers. For 8 pm show. Requested to vacate as expected he declined. The movie was not run. On instructions of GOC Ahmedabad div. What a shame and immaturity on behalf of GOC Ahmedabad division. All jawans, families, and officers and their families in full view seeing the drama. Shame! (sic)"

Maj Gen Singh reported Sunday's incident to Army headquarters in Pune. On Monday morning, Singh reportedly received a call from Hasabnis apologising for the incident. Repeated attempts to contact Hasabnis were in vain, but wing commander Abhishek Matiman accepted that a message had gone viral on Whatsapp. "I had gone for the movie, too. Suddenly, there was a message on the screen stating the movie was being cancelled due to a technical error and we all left. I am looking into the matter," he said.

Asked who the senior-most Army officer is, he confirmed, "Major General Singh is the senior-most officer here." When contacted, Maj Gen Singh said, "Being the senior officer, I would not like to comment on the conduct of juniors. Whatever the matter is has been reported to higher authority. As a senior, it will always be my endeavour to work with synergy for everyone's betterment."

Pune Mirror has more details
Within minutes, a message narrating the incident went viral. It stated, "ADG... rank of Major General sat down on GOC's seat, the only seat available at movie hall for general rank officers. For 8 pm show. Requsted to vacate as expected he declined. The movie was not run. On instructions of GOC Ahmedabad div. What a shame and immaturity on behalf of GOC Ahmedabad division. All jawans, families, and officers and their families in full view seeing the drama. Shame! [sic]"

The incident was provoked by the ongoing power struggle between the two major generals. Narrating the sequence of events that culminated in Sunday's tiff, Ahmedabad Gymkhana President Yunus Sheikh said, "Our club faced an issue with Army and NCC officers transferring out of Ahmedabad station without paying their bills. Our committee asked the 11th Infantry Division to give guarantee of payment through their Golden Qatar mess. They agreed to pay for officers serving the Army and asked us to contact NCC for their officers. When we discussed this issue with Major General Singh, he requested for the by-laws of the club. One of the rules stated that the senior-most general in the station is appointed as patron of the club. Upon reading this, Singh realised he was senior to Hasabnis, who was then being honoured as the patron, and wrote a letter to the club stating he was the senior-most."

Interestingly, Singh was posted in Ahmedabad about a year and a half ago while Hasabnis was posted here only in December 2013. Mirror learnt that Singh reported Sunday's incident to Army headquarters in Pune.

On Monday morning, Singh reportedly received a call from Hasabnis, apologising for the incident.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Joshi_Sa wrote:
If we went around beheading Paki soldiers than the shames on us and nothing to be proud of. if we sent in covert teams to destroy their bunkers and assassinate the CO that ordered his men to behead ours (the CO and the men who did it were heros in pakistan and all over the news) then Good for us.
If any one has read Maj. Gaurav Arya's blog posted earlier in this thread it will be realised that what impact a jawan's death has on a whole for that unit...beheading I can't just imagine the rage involved there...

It is no longer a issue of a person' death it's about the very confidence of the men...
Saar can you point me to the page or the blog post. TIA
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://books.google.com/books?id=oRbOTt ... is&f=false

Major General Jagjit Singh
While memory Is still Fresh

He tells many war stories of 62.
member_28539
BRFite

Post by member_28539 »

Saar can you point me to the page or the blog post. TIA
@Sagar Ji: Here is the link to his blog: http://majorgauravarya.blogspot.in/

Wonderful read..he is a real gentleman..wrote a mail to him after reading the blog..pat! came the reply the next day. Very appreciative indeed. :mrgreen: 8)
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Rien wrote: Exactly. It makes no sense to buy the Apache. Cancel this deal. We have great rotorcraft capability, and an expensive Apache simply makes no sense. The PA tanks, like the Al-Khalid, are simply no threat with our current inventory. It's not as if the PA is a monstrous army that requires billion dollar investments to defeat. With stock equipment, we can beat them black and blue in 24 hrs.
Where do you get this idea from? War is about what you can bring to bear and not just what you have in absolute quantities. Accounting for other borders, our force density levels are not very different from the Pakistanis. There isn't some kind of super overwhelming force that you seem to imagine. There may be questions on the effectiveness of attack helicopters vs the cost but this imaginary strength is not an argument. In 24 hours we'll barely make it 10km forwards anywhere.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

New Discovery Channel TV Show - "LOC" Airing Aug 15 9pm IST :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgyd5Her5Y
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

General Dalbir Singh, the quiet general
Sandeep Unnithan
As an instructor at the IndianMilitary Academy (IMA) inOctober 1987, General Dalbir Singh, then a captain, urgently dialled a senior regimental officer in army headquarters and requested to join his unit. The 4th battalion of the 5th Gorkha Rifles was among the first two Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) units deployed in Sri Lanka. Earlier, a visit to his former commanding officer's family in Dehradun to convey he had been killed by the LTTE, told him the IPKF was not on an ordinary peacekeeping mission. In 24 hours, Company Commander Dalbir Singh was on an An-32 into Palali airbase in northern Sri Lanka where his unit was extricating a Sikh Light Infantry company, savagely ambushed by the LTTE in University of Jaffna. India's 26th Chief of the Army Staff, General Dalbir Singh, is someone who chooses his battles carefully.

Two years ago, as commander of the Dimapur-based 3 Corps, he remained silent after being subjected to an unprecedented public attack and disciplinary action by the then army chief General V.K. Singh. The outgoing chief had directed his ire at a raid conducted by a Corps military intelligence unit. But the intense, personal nature of the barrage seemed more to do with halting General Dalbir's chances of becoming army chief.

The public attack by the ex-chief continued even after General Dalbir was exonerated of all charges by the defence ministry and cleared as army chief by the outgoing UPA government, a decision ratified by the Narendra Modi Government in June this year. In July, a petition filed in the Supreme Court by his IMA batchmate, LtGeneral Ravi Dastane, challenged his elevation as Eastern Army commander in 2012. The petition resurrected some older charges of negligence filed by V.K. Singh but the court refused to stall his appointment. "It was clear in my mind that I had done nothing wrong," the General told close associates when the attack resumed this year. "The truth shall prevail." In public, he maintained a studied silence throughout, talking on national television only to make a statement after taking over as army chief on July 31. He laid down his priorities-modernisation of the force, development of critical infrastructure and welfare of ex-servicemen. Lieutenant General Jasbir Singh (retired), his schoolmate from Sainik School, Chittorgarh, recalls him as a brigadier trekking to all the 50-odd counter-infiltration posts strung along the LoC in north Kashmir

Outgoing army chief General Bikram Singh described his successor at a private gathering in the Capital as a "soldier's general" and "rooted to the ground". It was, perhaps, a reference to his humble background-the son of a junior commissioned officer from Bishan village in Haryana's Rewari district who tilled the family land and attended classes in an open-air school. Admission into the Sainik School in 1965 put him on course for the National Defence Academy and finally an army commission in 1974. He is among the first service chiefs in recent years not to attend the Defence Services Staff College in Wellington, though not a prerequisite for becoming army chief.

Like Bikram Singh, General Dalbir assiduously avoids the media. On July 31, there was that brief finger-wagging warning from him to Pakistan that incidents such as the beheading of Indian soldiers in 2013 would not be tolerated. And then, silence. The media shyness may be a continuation of his predecessor's plan of insulating the Army from media exposure and restoring the sanctity of the chief's office after two years of public hazing in V.K. Singh's tenure. "The nation's weapon of last resort had become a subject of drawing room gossip," says a senior army officer. The new chief has also gone the extra mile to trim public ostentation. Visitors who flocked to the open house he threw at his official home the evening of his takeover, July 31, were instructed to come without bouquets and gifts.

Keeping the world's third largest army away from media gaze may be the easy part, but restoring its sharp edge in his 30-month tenure will be a Himalayan task for General Dalbir. Little has changed since a March 2011 internal army assessment revealed deficiencies of Rs.60,000 crore in the stock of ammunition, missiles and vehicles. It will take at least five years of enhanced budgetary support to restore the Army's ability to fight a fullscale war against Pakistan or China.

The service also needs to allocate resources for a 90,000-soldier Mountain Strike Corps. The Corps was sanctioned at a cost of Rs.64,000 crore.

Most of this money will be spent to equip the Corps with helicopters and howitzers. This will prove to be a major worry given the Army's snail-paced acquisition. It got its last new 155 mm howitzer when General Dalbir was a company commander in Sri Lanka. Its last major doctrinal and acquisition thrust came in General N.C. Vij's tenure between 2003 and 2005.

Assisted by then vice-chief Lt- General Shantanu Choudhary, Vij initiated the Mountain Strike Corps proposal, built a counter-infiltration fence along the LoC and formulated the Cold Start doctrine in case of war with Pakistan. LtGeneral Syed Ata Hasnain, former Commander of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps, sees a similar alignment in the Army with Lieutenant General Philip Campose's appointment as the vicechief. "This is an excellent opportunity for General Dalbir to replicate that model and put the Army on the path of modernisation," says Hasnain. The 760 km LoC with Pakistan isthe frontage for a potential arc of instability this year. The United States military drawdown from Afghanistan coincides with Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir later this year.

Army officials anticipate heightened infiltration from across the border. The 3,000 km disputed border with China is also being attended to, but quietly. General Dalbir's plan involves speeding up the Army's mobilisation along the border. He has prioritised building up of border infrastructure with China. This preparedness will not, however, come in the way of India's ongoing military diplomacy with China. The two sides resumed military-to-military exchanges in 2013 after a four-year break. The Border Defence Cooperation Agreement between the two countries will ensure that incursions like the one in Ladakh's Depsang area in April last year don't escalate into hostilities. Shouldn't be a hard task for a man who thinks before he fights.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Army will continue to be relevant in the Indian context

Operation Olive Green
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

2 BSF personnel killed in militant attack outside IAF airfield in J&K

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 316033.cms
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

rkhanna wrote:New Discovery Channel TV Show - "LOC" Airing Aug 15 9pm IST :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgyd5Her5Y
By any chance did you or any one record it ?

-Ankit
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

India ramps up defence along China border
India has started ramping up military defences in the Ladakh sector of Jammu and Kashmir that faces China, especially after Beijing has ringed the area with at least six airfields, fighter aircraft, all terrain vehicles and special forces that are backed by top-class metalled roads right up to the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

New Delhi will be moving an armoured brigade — some 150 T-72 tanks — to Ladakh and also have Smerch multi-barrel rocket launch units placed at key locations. These are capable of hitting targets 70-80 kms away.

An armoured regiment — 46 tanks — had moved in last year to join the Kiari-based 70 Brigade and is now located at a forward sector, 20 km inside the LAC, where India suffered a setback in the 1962 conflict with China. This is separate from the upcoming Armoured Brigade that will be directly controlled by the Leh-based 14 Corps. Its three Regiments, comprising 46 tanks each, will be co-located with existing infantry and artillery regiments of the Indian Army. Meaning an armoured component will be available from the northern most tip, that is the base of the Karokaram pass at Daulat Baig Oldie, to the south eastern extreme of Demchok and Chumar, sources said. Adding up the numbers would mean that over the next 18 months India would have stationed 200 of the T-72 tanks in Ladakh and all night-sight equipped.

Ladakh being a plateau is ideal tank country. The only effort is in bringing the tanks through the narrow and high Himlayan passes on the Srinagar-Leh route or the Manali-Leh route.

The existing numbers of tanks are just not enough in case of an attack, especially after the Indian side was alerted of threat by way of a specialised exercise by the Chinese to have rapid movement across Tibet and Xinjiang, both abutting Ladakh. The Lanzhou Military Area Command of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China carried out rapid movement exercises in 2012. The first tank regiment moved to Ladakh in 2013.

New Delhi’s fears got an official stamp in March 2013 when the State Council of China published a white paper titled “The Diversified Employment of China’s Armed Forces” that talked about these rapid movements. It claimed the PLA extensively practised the move to concentrate troops. “Trans-military area command movements have been carried out. In 2012, the Chengdu MAC and Lanzhou MAC carried out the exercise.” Lanzhou and Chengdu — are dedicated to India. The Lanzhou MAC is tasked for J&K, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand, while the Chengdu MAC is for Chinese frontiers facing Nepal, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. China in total has seven MACs.

China has ringed J&K with new airfields. The Ngari Gunsa airbase in Tibet has come up just 200 km east of Demchok in India. North of J&K, airbases at Kashgar, Yarkand, Hotan and Qeimo (Cherchen) in Xinjiang can be used to launch an attack.

More tanks and artillery
•New Delhi will be moving an armoured brigade, nearly 150 T-72 tanks, to Ladakh and also have Smerch multi-barrel rocket launch units placed at key locations
•An armoured regiment, 46 tanks, had moved in last year to join the Kiari-based 70 Brigade and is now located at a forward sector, 20 km inside the Line of Actual Control
•Three Regiments, comprising 46 tanks each, of Armoured Brigade will be co-located with existing infantry and artillery regiments of the Indian Army
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140818/main7.htm
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^That is some serious fire power being poured into the sector. Though, given the geographical constraints, we need more to take care of the dragon in the region.

The 3 Infantry Division responsible for eastern Ladakh used to earlier have only 2 x infantry brigades; of these two, only one infantry brigade (114 Infantry Bde) was deployed upfront along the Chushul axis while second infantry brigade (70 infantry bde) was held in reserve. There were reports last year that one infantry bde (probably 70 Inf Bde) has moved forward to Demchok while a new infantry bde was being planned for DBO Sector. And additional infantry bde has moved from Valley to Leh which would most probably act as 3 Division reserve.

3 Infantry Division has had 1 x Mechanized Infantry battalion under it for quite some time. And as per this report, 1 x Armored Regiment has already joined this existing Mechanized Regiment.

However, unlike what is mentioned in the report, IA has asked for additional T-90 tanks to cater for this sector. In 2013, IA had moved a T-90 Regiment BY ROAD to Leh. The army engineer has made provisions like strengthening bridges and widening road at required places to facilitate this movement.

Earlier reports had talked about only new independent armored brigade for Leh - but now, we've four instead of three armored regiments in the sector. In addition, this (I) armored bde will also have it's own 1 x mechanized infantry battalion and integral artillery regiment.

So, in the end, we'll have 4 x armored regiments + 2 x mechanized infantry battalions in the sector. Good start. Though, not sure what to make of the report about SMERCH. May be, a battalion being moved from one of the Strike Corps to 14 Corps.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The fire power is good. But the more important issue IMO is the ability to resupply the forces in the field and I hope that the logistical trail will be well defended and will have sufficient bandwidth needed to support the tanks and the supporting forces.