India-US Relations : News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vsunder
BRFite

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion

Post by vsunder »

The Gunjan Bagla after a long time posted a post on the FB page yesterday of the High school in Kanpur where he studied. The post is the same as his article linked earlier. I had given him some "jhappads" in the past on FB and so the posts on FB stopped, ( it is a high school FB page (a) and so..) but I guess he had to go back to his old ways. Oh! this fellow used to even kiss the bottoms of all the American kids in the school when he was 12 years old. The American kids came there when they set up the program for IIT Kanpur late 60's. Incidentally my earlier post on Bagla and his brother seems to have caused some takleef in some quarters in BRF unless these BRF individuals also subscribe to Bagla type of views also, causing takleef is not my style, so on bended knee please forgive me, mea culpa if I have punctured the vanity of individuals on BRF who I can see have bigger fish to fry than poor me, please do forgive me, my vanity cannot match the vanity of yours which seems to be as big as mijjiles, see how many posts I made and yours truly, no, no you are the Internet personality,and I am very happy for that fact. Don't comment without knowing the facts of the matter is all I ask.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4517932 ... 230652602/

Oh I also forgot 8)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Gunjan Bagla
September 12 at 1:44pm · Los Angeles, CA

MHS alums, here is my latest post about America and India on the world's Top Blog, Huffington Post. If you like it please SHARE on your own twitter, linkedin and facebook walls. The piece is already well received less than 15 hours after being poste.

For my next piece on this subject, I'd like to mention Kanpur and India-USA as well. Does anyone have items of interest between 1900 and May 2013 of major US-Kanpur or Kanpur-US involvement (other than IITK which I will cover).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gunjan-ba ... 98622.html#
India Inside: Astonishing Tales of How the United States and India Are Intertwined
As Washington prepares for a historic visit by India's new Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 29, many are unaware of the histories of these two free...
huffingtonpost.com
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

arun wrote:Timely reminder for our Prime Minister. All talk of “Natural Allies” aside, this prosecution clearly shows that US technological denial regime targeting India remains very much in place. If the rhetoric of “Natural Allies” is indeed true, where is the need for this prosecution ?:

US woman charged with spying for India
This is not tech denial WRT India. She's being charged with violating the Arms Export Control Act. She would have been charged even it had been sent to Israel.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

US appointing NRIs/POIs to engage with india is one very flawed decision making.

Nisha Biswal et al just flushed their legacies away
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

habal wrote:there are states in South India which took to every WHO health and vaccination scheme with great enthusiasm and spontaneity. Whether it be polio, HPT, MMR etc. If I am correct these schemes peaked in 70s and 80s. Today those states have lowest fertility rates in India. 80% (my estimate) of young women in those states can't conceive naturally without some kind of IFT depending on case to case. Very few conceive naturally.
I am from that area sir. What you are saying is false.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

One should understand the difference between US career professionals and US politicians & political advisers:

Retd. US. Army Col W.P. Lang:
Someone reminded me recently that when I first briefed at the WH during Desert Storm, one of the leading lights there said to me, "you mean there are two kinds of Islam?" We have gotten a little past that but not much.
http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semp ... daspx.html
The person referred to was a member of the kitchen cabinet and did not know there were two main forms of Islam.
From elsewhere:
kitchen cabinet: a group of unofficial advisers to the holder of an elected office who are considered to be unduly influential.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

There seems to have been a long and deep seated plan to target and humiliate the Indian diplomatic community.

Their shoddy efforts seem to have failed one by one, with the GOI kicking their butts in Delhi and literally corralling their "diplomats" in retaliation.

Hopefully, their earlier "privileges" are never restored in India. BTW why do we allow foreign heads of mission and ambassadors enter Indian airports without any security checks?? All of them are exempted security checks. Are our ambassadors allowed the same leniency in their countries?? Why do we behave like uncle toms especially with white skinned folks??

NY city to pay USD 225,000 to Indian girl to settle lawsuit

New York, Sep 18,

In a significant legal victory for the daughter of an Indian diplomat, the city of New York has agreed to pay her USD 225,000 to settle a lawsuit she brought against it after she was jailed for a day and suspended from school on suspicion of sending obscene emails to her teacher.

Krittika Biswas has in turn agreed to dismiss all the claims against the city, Board of Education and the officials of the New York Police Department who had arrested and detained her in 2011.

US District Judge John Koeltl in the Southern District of New York said in his order that the City of New York agrees to pay Biswas USD 225,000 in "full satisfaction of all claims" and in consideration for the payment Biswas "agrees to dismissal of all the claims" against the defendants.

He said that the parties in the case "desire to resolve the issues" raised in the litigation "without further proceedings and without admitting any fault or liability."

Biswas's lawyer Ravi Batra said in a statement to PTI that the "honour" of Biswas, Indian diplomats and India has been has been "vindicated" with the court order.

The settlement acknowledged that Biswas was an "honor student" at the time of her "false arrest."

He said Biswas joins him in "thanking" the Indian- American community, former ambassadors Prabhu Dayal and Meera Shanker and her former classmates and teachers whose "emotional and moral support" helped her in her legal fight.

Biswas had filed the lawsuit seeking USD 1.5 million in damages for her wrongful imprisonment and suspension from school. She was detained and arrested in February 2011 on the grounds that she had sent "offensive and sexually threatening" emails to her teachers in Queens's John Browne High School.Biswas is now in India.

The defendants had moved to "dismiss" the entire lawsuit but an appeals court had last month refused to throw out the lawsuit saying the arguments by them were "without merit."

Biswas's lawsuit had detailed the circumstances that led to her being handcuffed and imprisoned forcibly approximately 28 hours "for nothing."

Biswas was "forced to be processed through the criminal justice system, and spent over 24 hours in jail without being allowed to meet her parents or visited by senior Indian diplomats. All of this occurred, despite her actual innocence as this was a case of mistaken identity."

It states that she was discriminated against and falsely accused of sending offensive e-mails because of her ethnicity.

An investigation after her arrest had found that another student had sent the emails but that student was not arrested or criminally charged, which Batra said is "proof of foul discriminatory disparate treatment" of Biswas "despite her actual innocence."

Citing the India-US relations, particularly in the wake of the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Batra said he advised Biswas and her family that a "just resolution" of the case would be an appropriate move to "enhance the bilateral relationship."
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Great job, there. The same law for all kind of idea failed when the actual perpetrator wasn't even arrested! What a grand gesture to the Indian community! We should learn this from Americans. First comes litigation and outright unequal mistreatment and then very very grand gesture of end of litigation which is a very huge thing to do actually. American litigation process is something that the Indian community should understand very well since it can get costly even for innocent.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Also!! Check this idiot who murdered 6 back in 2000 (attacked one Indian grocery store too) is currently awaiting execution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Baumhammers

Friday, April 28, 2000

At 1:30 p.m. EDT, Richard Baumhammers walked to the home of his next-door neighbor, a 63 year old Jewish woman named Anita "Nicki" Gordon and fatally shot her, then set her house on fire. Gordon had been friends with Baumhammers' parents for 31 years.[7] Afterwards, Baumhammers jumped into his black Jeep Cherokee and drove to the Beth El Congregation in Scott Township, where Gordon was a member of the synagogue. There, he fired into the windows of the synagogue, then exited his vehicle and spray-painted two red swastikas on the building.[1]

A short distance from the synagogue at the India Grocer in Scott Town Center, 31 year old Anil Thakur, formerly of Bihar, India was shot to death while picking up groceries on his lunch hour. A 25 year old store manager named Sandeep Patel was shot in the neck and paralyzed. Patel would use a wheelchair for the next seven years before dying at the age of 32 in February, 2007 from complications due to pneumonia at UPMC, in McCandless, Pennsylvania.[8]

Baumhammers next drove to the Ahavath Achim Congregation in Carnegie where he shattered the synagogue's glass windows with gunfire. At Robinson Town Centre, about ten miles from his home, he walked into Ya Fei Chinese Cuisine where two Asian-Americans, Chinese restaurant manager Ji-ye Sun, aged 34 and Theo "Tony" Pham, a 27 year-old Vietnamese-American cook[9] were fatally shot in front of customers.[1]

From Robinson Town Center, Baumhammers drove to the C.S. Kim School of Karate in Center Township, Beaver County where Garry Lee, a 22 year old African-American was exercising with a European-American friend, George Thomas II. Baumhammers initially pointed the gun at Thomas, then turned and fired at Lee, killing him instantly.[9]

On Jan. 19, 2010, Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell signed an execution warrant for Baumhammers. He was scheduled to be put to death on March 18, 2010.[15] On February 28, 2010, Allegheny County Judge Jeffrey A. Manning granted Baumhammers an indefinite stay of execution.[16]
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

vishvakJi,

This is standard US practice of shooting first and talking. Very similar to bombing the living crap out of people and then throwing food packets. This clown Ravi Batra can't get any more clownish: this settlement is supposed to improve bi-lateral relations on the even of Modi's visit :-).
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://asiasociety.org/northern-califor ... ning-india

Reimagining India
India is "rising" and "shining"—but is it doing so as quickly or as brightly as it should? In May 2014, the largest democratic election in history took place in India and was won by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), a victory that signaled the country’s collective desire for reform and growth. What is India’s true potential under the new government and how will they transform India’s society and economy and show the rest of the developing world how open democratic societies can achieve growth and prosperity?
Join us as we explore how an alternative emerging market economic model like India’s—a culturally and geographically complex, and politically colorful society—can achieve high growth, economic stability, shared prosperity, and environmental sustainability. Speakers include contributors to McKinsey’s recently published book, Reimagining India: Unlocking the Potential of Asia's Next Superpower.
Speakers:
Sadanand Dhume, Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
Rafiq Dossani, Senior Economist and Professor, Pardee RAND Graduate School, RAND Corporation
Markos Kounalakis, President and Publisher Emeritus, Washington Monthly; Visiting Fellow, Hoover Institution
Adil Zainulbhai, Senior Adviser and Former Chairman of McKinsey India

For more information on Reimagining India: Unlocking the Potential of Asia's Next Superpower click here.

Program Agenda:
5:30 – 6:00 p.m. Registration & Networking
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Discussion / Audience Q&A
7:30 – 8:30 p.m. Reception

Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

This is another stupid move by Obama and co.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/w ... epage=true

Indian-American and 'Richard' . Seriously?

Divided loyalties xsquared in a BJP milieu.

Dumasses
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

^^His mother was born in Pakistan (moved to India during partition), father born in India and he has an Armenian Wife.
One good thing I can think of is that the impact of "gora-skin" is eliminated from the equation. :D Many of our politicians and Babus give too much importance to a gora-skinned foreigner. A gora-skinned-foreigner's words carry more weight, he/she can take more liberties, get preferential treatment at the airport (whether he is an ambassador or not). But all that is gone now and this will be solely based on substance. I will not be surprised if the airport staff gives preferential treatment to his gora-skinned assistant, while ignoring the ambassador himself.

Hopefully, the Indian babus have not forgotten the disgraceful behavior and hurried, almost thief-like, exit of this guy's predecessor Nancy Powell. Babus!!! Ensure strict reciprocity in dealings and don't give unnecessary concessions to anyone.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

With NY paying out 225K, the Principal's goose is cooked, and the Police aphsars look like the friggin racist morons that they are. The 1.5M was doubtful, the Jury would have been 75% racist Pakis or rude Noo Yoikers. 225K without a trial is faaaaaar better than a ***Maybe 1.5M*** after a dragged-out trial and sure appeal that would go on for years. This lets Kritika get on with her life. The facts are established.

It's not over for the school or the police. Individual disciplinary actions in the loser institutions is a sure thing. I don't think NY citizens are barred from using the facts in this case to demand an investigation of NY police racism.

The rest of us are also not barred from writing what we want about the incident: we haven't signed any waiver. OTOH, the school and police can't yak about their actions, since they were the defendants and have signed the STFP.

So I think this was a good decision.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cosmo_R wrote:This is another stupid move by Obama and co.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/w ... epage=true

Indian-American and 'Richard' . Seriously?

Divided loyalties xsquared in a BJP milieu.

Dumasses
Why are all the uncle toms being dumped in India??

There seems to be some very serious miscalculations in the SD that the Indians are going to be impressed by the amerkhan tactic of using Indian amerkhans to screw the Indians.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

I am surprised that there is no gag rule in Kritika's case
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

As it happened with China, making a person of an origin country the Ambassador to that very same country is fraught with dangers.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

chetak wrote:Why are all the uncle toms being dumped in India??

There seems to be some very serious miscalculations in the SD that the Indians are going to be impressed by the amerkhan tactic of using Indian amerkhans to screw the Indians.
They are "global citizens" you see.

I am just making a wild guess, but it's possible that such appointments and their greater frequency in the recent days maybe an attempt at the proverbial carrot- "see we are the land of opportunity only..work with us and be rewarded..yada yada.." and hoping (perhaps justifiably so) that there will be enough who will buy into this and jump at the bait.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

chetakJi, not disputing your characterization, just trying to understand, but what makes you refer to this ambassador nominee an Uncle Tom? BTW: I have never heard of this guy before, so I don't know anything about him.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

CRamS wrote:chetakJi, not disputing your characterization, just trying to understand, but what makes you refer to this ambassador nominee an Uncle Tom? BTW: I have never heard of this guy before, so I don't know anything about him.
Lawyer, works for halfbrights firm, on board of clinton foundation. nothing interesting.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

CRamS wrote:chetakJi, not disputing your characterization, just trying to understand, but what makes you refer to this ambassador nominee an Uncle Tom? BTW: I have never heard of this guy before, so I don't know anything about him.
It's only the obama and hillary clinton lot that have trotted out a series of Indian amerkhans. Never happened in such quantities before. None of the guys pitched by the SD seem to have any sort of distinction or expertise except belonging to modi's village or shah's biradari or suchlike. It is also this very lot who have f(uked up relations pretty badly, grossly mismanaged, misjudged and mishandled the Indians and that too during the time of big time US ass licking politicos led by the vatican premi, termite queen.

Also look at the mess that our own rent seeking baboo(n)s have made. Why would theirs be any different?? Look at any of their engagements since 9/11, disaster after unmitigated disaster.

They are desperately seeking, by any means, to restore their earlier pre eminent status quo ante, prior to the khobragade fiasco. Indians be damned. Ever wondered why the US needs such a large contingent stationed in India??

and despite all this tomfoolery, their popularity remains quite high in the perception of the mango people. go figure!!
Nirantar
BRFite

Post by Nirantar »

SBajwa wrote:Also!! Check this idiot who murdered 6 back in 2000 (attacked one Indian grocery store too) ............[16]

this guy beat the above by much bigger margin in cruelity. 6 small kids and their mom.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... 65844.aspx
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

So he is going to poke his brown finger to our face, and we won't be able to accuse him of racism. While he is free to accuse INdians of everything under the Sun, from Cashmere to Daleeet to casteist to Slavery to whatever the latest anglo fad is. Also there is something about non-proliferation in his background. Looks like anglos are seeking to full out regime change everywhere except China.

>>It's only the obama and hillary clinton lot that have trotted out a series of Indian amerkhans.

It seems like a pattern is emerging, the deep state of USA relies on republicans to go after legacy targets like Iraq and curtail internal democracy and local freedom on guise of patriot act, homeland security etc while Democrats are relied to subvert external democracies and countries in middle-east and eurasia and regime change in Africa. Seems like core competencies of the two pseudo rivals are being outlined thus.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

There are not a lot of choices.

El-whito -- mucho racismo;
El-browno -- uncle tomo;
El-Blacko -- inadmissiblo;
El-hispanico -- illegallo.

Who do you pick asnd on what basis? Education is shot, degrees mean nothing. Religion means zip. Integrity doesnt exist. Politicians are the same everywhere. Understanding of India -- not a requirement.

Make the best of what you get. Each a face of the same coin.

A good career civil servant, who understood the US system and was willing to give Indian imprefections a chance with an open mind would have been good. Such people dont exist.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

habal wrote:So he is going to poke his brown finger to our face, and we won't be able to accuse him of racism. While he is free to accuse INdians of everything under the Sun, from Cashmere to Daleeet to casteist to Slavery to whatever the latest anglo fad is. Also there is something about non-proliferation in his background. Looks like anglos are seeking to full out regime change everywhere except China.

>>It's only the obama and hillary clinton lot that have trotted out a series of Indian amerkhans.

It seems like a pattern is emerging, the deep state of USA relies on republicans to go after legacy targets like Iraq and curtail internal democracy and local freedom on guise of patriot act, homeland security etc while Democrats are relied to subvert external democracies and countries in middle-east and eurasia and regime change in Africa. Seems like core competencies of the two pseudo rivals are being outlined thus.
Just don't see this Indian administration keeping quiet at any US finger pointing in India. They will more than likely, just bite the finger off.

NaMo's reaction to the chinese provocations during the chinese premier's visit would have been noted in many many capitals. Our president lolling around in vietnam, dalai lama holding forth at a press conference and tibetian protestors making a ruckus and NaMo button holing Xi and talking to him directly about the incursions would have all been noted, especially in islamabad and the US

Last but not the least....

The WTO kick was aimed squarely and directly at the US testimonials and it seems to have hit home very very hard.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

pandyan wrote: bit disappointed that they didnt win the whole 1.5m and instead settled for peanuts. I sometimes wonder this Batra guy is mutu. his job is to represent the victims cause and right and not worry about "enhancing" bilateral relationship. what a joker.

they should have hired a proper american legal eagle. settled for a few millions and the principal should have been fired from his job.
the award will be decided by jury - and the prosecution will play up three things - racist attitudes in the jury, millions will be out of their pockets as tax money, showing the teenager as a foreigner so as to play up "america"

and during all this time, the lawyers will have to be paid by her parents. Jury awards against governments are usually peanuts compared to those of private sector as the jury itself as taxpayers will have to pay. So lawyers generally do not work on fronting the cost basis against government.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

SSridhar wrote:As it happened with China, making a person of an origin country the Ambassador to that very same country is fraught with dangers.
SSridhar ji, can you please elaborate on the incident. I am not sure if I remember it correctly.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Virupaksha: in cases like these the lawyers take 50% of the award mobley. Losing party pays the lawyer expenses. If they don't win the lawyer forgoes her charges. A little like sweat equity in that if there is windfall they a big multiple of their hourly. If not, oh well you win some and you lose some. What to do onlee.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

matrimc wrote:Virupaksha: in cases like these the lawyers take 50% of the award mobley. Losing party pays the lawyer expenses. If they don't win the lawyer forgoes her charges. A little like sweat equity in that if there is windfall they a big multiple of their hourly. If not, oh well you win some and you lose some. What to do onlee.
not when the opposite party is the government because the windfall is very less.

if it was a private company with deep pockets which did it, the award would be minimum 10 million whereas for the govt even 1/2 million would be streching it.

capitalism and self interest all around.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Sanku,

IIRC, this happened last year. Or the year before that. The US thinking it was acting smart sent a gen who was of Chinese origin to PRC. The PRC called this gent a monkey or some such.

That was the end of that.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The WTO kick was aimed squarely and directly at
The WTO "kick" was no kick at all, it was a last-minute infusion of GOI spine and digging heels in b4 being dragged over the precipice in the MMS style of Inaction Is Action.

AFAIK, the issue was very simple: The GOI needs the flexibility to buy food at prices that keep farmers from committing suicide, and then sell it to the vast number of poor people in India at prices that may keep them from starving.

The WTO was about to declare that an illegal subsidy. The farmers would first be driven to suicide by dumping cheap stuff from outside, as was done with the Sheffield and Brimingham cra* dumped to kill off the Indian hand-woven silks industry in the Brishit East India Con-pany days.

Then the prices would be kept so high that the poor would starve - or have to convert to get Aid.

Meanwhile tobacco subsidies, corn subsidies and all sorts of other subsidies are poured in by the trillions in the US, EU, UK and China, mostly to mega-rich farm conglomerates, with absolutely no problem from the WTO. It's the same as the ICC going after Tendulkar or Gale (c latest) while seeing no issues with the mega-offenders such as ***King Anderson who brag freely about their behavior.

For both Indian farmers and Indian workers, this was about life and death. The GOI babus must have been BEGGING MMS, Sonia & Co. to intervene, with no luck for the past 9 years. Which is why the moment the Modi govt. came to power, they ordered the Indian negotiators to draw the line and walk away.

I HOPE Modi does not back off under the influence of WHOTUS Nimbu Pani. But pls don't cast this as some NaMO spite against the US. The PM was absolutely honest on this: he has to look out for the poor of India. Fix that poverty first before strutting around pretending to be a rich nation.

The WTO needs to agree with India on this, and then India can agree with the WTO. Simple.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

UlanBatori wrote:
The WTO kick was aimed squarely and directly at
The WTO "kick" was no kick at all, it was a last-minute infusion of GOI spine and digging heels in b4 being dragged over the precipice in the MMS style of Inaction Is Action.

AFAIK, the issue was very simple: The GOI needs the flexibility to buy food at prices that keep farmers from committing suicide, and then sell it to the vast number of poor people in India at prices that may keep them from starving.

The WTO was about to declare that an illegal subsidy. The farmers would first be driven to suicide by dumping cheap stuff from outside, as was done with the Sheffield and Brimingham cra* dumped to kill off the Indian hand-woven silks industry in the Brishit East India Con-pany days.

Then the prices would be kept so high that the poor would starve - or have to convert to get Aid.

Meanwhile tobacco subsidies, corn subsidies and all sorts of other subsidies are poured in by the trillions in the US, EU, UK and China, mostly to mega-rich farm conglomerates, with absolutely no problem from the WTO. It's the same as the ICC going after Tendulkar or Gale (c latest) while seeing no issues with the mega-offenders such as ***King Anderson who brag freely about their behavior.

For both Indian farmers and Indian workers, this was about life and death. The GOI babus must have been BEGGING MMS, Sonia & Co. to intervene, with no luck for the past 9 years. Which is why the moment the Modi govt. came to power, they ordered the Indian negotiators to draw the line and walk away.

I HOPE Modi does not back off under the influence of WHOTUS Nimbu Pani. But pls don't cast this as some NaMO spite against the US. The PM was absolutely honest on this: he has to look out for the poor of India. Fix that poverty first before strutting around pretending to be a rich nation.

The WTO needs to agree with India on this, and then India can agree with the WTO. Simple.
NaMo spine Sirji, not NaMo spite.

Just like he showed the chini Mr Eleven, all the while feeding him dhoklas with the genial smile never slipping from his face.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

chetakJi, we have discussed this guy many time before, but here is an example of an Uncle Tom made to perfection. Fareed Zakariah interviewing Modi. This guy knows about India, who the terrorists are that attack India, he knows about SIMI, he for sure knows about Indian Mujaheddin, he for sure knows Dawood Ibrahim, and above all, he for sure knows the collusion between sections of Indian Muslims and Paki pigLeTs. Yet, he pulls this colonial canard out of has back side about how astonishing it is that no Indian Muslim is part of the Al Queda gold standard. As I said, he speaks and acts just as his masters ordered. Thats why I rank him as one of the top Indian American Uncle Toms

http://www.rediff.com/news/interview/mo ... 140919.htm

Why do you think it is that there is a remarkable phenomenon that you have 170 million Muslims but there seems to be almost no or very few members of the Al Qaeda? What is it that has made this community not as susceptible?

Firstly, I’m not the authority for doing a psychological or religious analysis on this. But the question is whether or not humanity should be defended in the world. Whether or not believers in humanity should unite. This is a crisis against humanity, not a crisis against one country or one race. So we have to frame this as a fight between humanity and inhumanity, nothing else.
Not a bad answer from ModiJi. After all, he cannot cast a single aspersion on any Indian Muslim, lest he be taken to the cleaners by the likes on UndYTv and Arnab gas bags.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Hopefully Mr. Richard Verma is not like Howard Gutman (another Democratic party appointee)

http://www.timesofisrael.com/us-ambassa ... n-scandal/
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Mr. Richard Verma
Boat sunk even before it arrived
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Verma

His father Kamal Verma taught English at University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Has this Richard Verma guy changed his name to Richard just to anglicize his name, or like his "illustrious" peers, Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal, he converted to make himself more acceptable?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

To Ulan Batori's point, add this:
http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2014/01/25 ... -wto-deal/
How bad the US-India "compromise" at Bali was should be clear to all. Kudos for Modi for "reneging" on it.

PS: http://news.oneindia.in/feature/india-s ... 96060.html
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Poor guy this Verma. Way too easy to convert his name to Worm-A.
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

CRamS wrote:Has this Richard Verma guy changed his name to Richard just to anglicize his name, or like his "illustrious" peers, Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal, he converted to make himself more acceptable?
If this guy is a convert like nikki or bobby then under bjp sirkar the relation with uncle will plummet.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

My respect for the UN agency just shot up. Look at the name of the official who said this, and you understand the deep dichotomy between the agenda of the US and EU on the one hand, and most of Humanity on the other.
"Creating jobs for some other country, while people are still hungry, doesn't make sense... If I was in the position of feeding my own family or creating jobs for someone else, what would I do? What would you do?," IFAD president Kanayo Nwanze told PTI. "The bottom line is that every government has the responsibility to ensure that it can feed its own people," he said, while replying to a question whether he supports India's tough stand at the WTO. Echoing similar sentiments, IFAD's country director for India Nigel Brett said India has a big task to feed its people. Asserting its real concern of food subsidies, India on Thursday blocked the Trade facilitation agreement. The TFA is the first global trade reform since the creation of WTO, 19 years ago. Though (mostly pompous Oiropean asses) trade diplomats in Geneva have termed this step of India as regressive and suicidal but India has made its position clear that first address our issue (food subsidies) then only we( some of the developing countries) will sign the TFA deal which was agreed upon last year in Bali, Indonesia. And the support coming from IFAD vindicates India's stand that any nation's first priority is to keep the interests of its own people. While meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry, Prime Minister Narendra Modi clearly stated that Developing countries have a big challenge to tackle the poverty and its Governments' duty to address the problem facing by these deprived section of people. Prime Minister told Kerry,"While we don't oppose the agreement, we believe that the needs of those living on the margins of society, not just in India but elsewhere too, have to be addressed".

New WTO rules limit the value of food subsidies at 10 per cent of the total food grain production considering 1986 as the base year. [*]What was India's population in 1986 vs today, hain?

India is opposing it saying the rule with which food subsidies is being limited is outdated.

India is raising its concerns by saying that while US is providing $120 billion, to its 3 million farmers, as agriculture subsidy then why India can't give even one tenth ($12 billion) to its farmers. Currently India gives a food subsidy of barely 15 billion dollars to its 500 million farmers.

India is home to about 25 per cent of the world's hungry and they depend upon Government's subsidized food programme. India provides food subsidies through programme under Food security Bill and PDS system.

What is TFA and the controversy surrounding it?

Trade facilitation agreement (TFA) is a trade protocol aiming to give a spur and do away with the stumbling blocks in doing international trade between various countries.The deadline to sign the agreement was July 31 and the deal has to come into force fully by 2015.

It is being believed, especially by the proponents of the agreement that deal could add $1 trillion to global GDP and can also generate 21 million jobs by slashing red tape and streamlining customs.
(This was per a Brookhaven-Sandia Report) 8)

The thing is that the previous govt was so spineless and drugged-out that they allowed this to go on for years and years, putting NaMo in a very bad spot. Also, consider that the Food Security Bill was a UPA creation, and is considered a budget-buster, but NaMO stood up for India's poorest people, and put it all on the line.

And real people around the world respect a nation whose government is FOR THE PEOPLE. Not a bunch of stuffed shirts stuffing their off-shore accounts.