India-US Relations : News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote:I HOPE someone (allooo Anmol!) is posting this outrage on FaceBook, Twitter etc. I mean the sheer outrage at all these Yindoo nationalists starting a PETITION to get the Hon. Rage-dip Soredesai fired from his Senior Indian Journalist position (make that quite clear, pls) and thus infringing Free Speech! :shock: :eek: Millions of desis need to see that, esp, the link to click.
https://www.facebook.com/rajneesh.saini ... 4670952685
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

TIMES NOW ‏@timesnow 7m

In 20 minutes, PM Narendra Modi will be addressing The Council for Foreign Relations in New York. Stay Tuned!!
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Give a dumb journalist a rope long enough,he/she will find a way to hang himself/herself upside down.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Video clip of comedian John Oliver on our Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s New York visit:

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Narendra Modi In New York (HBO)
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Uneven Cohen is still not changed a bit.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

CRamS wrote:Economist rag on Modi's MSG address. The comments are furious

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democrac ... al-theatre
That is one venomous article.

The initials "P.F," which is given as the author of the article likely stands for Patrick Foulis who is the Economist's New York Bureau Chief and US Business Editor.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Dilip Narain Sardesai (may his Atman rest in peace) could claim that he faced the world's fastest bowlers on the world's fastest pitches without even a helmet, and still scored several centuries and double centuries. He was part of the first Indian victory over the West Indies - in the West Indies, scoring a century (or was it a double) in the 4th innings to race to victory against all odds, accompanied by Sunil Gavaskar. An Indian hero.

His son Rage-Creep can claim that
a) he has taken money from the enemies of India, and the most corrupt of India, to run India down for a decade.
b) been run out of his former catbird seat along with his equally anti-India wife,
c) traveled across the seven seas and made a total ass of himself
d) got punched out
e) is now known as an *sshole all over the world.

Maybe, he being a world-renowed *sshole, Pak-Trick at the Pakonomist has a job for him sweeping the pakistans. Question is, can he do it? Or will be **** that up too?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What a day, Sep. 28, 2014. "Taatakaa" Jayalalithaa in jail, Ragecreep Soredesai nursing a sore nose and musharraf, and about to get more boot in the musharraf. :shock: :eek:
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

UlanBatori wrote:What a day, Sep. 28, 2014. "Taatakaa" Jayalalithaa in jail, Ragecreep Soredesai nursing a sore nose and musharraf, and about to get more boot in the musharraf. :shock: :eek:
What with mush................taken to the lamp post?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

The thing is this - a deadbeat TV reporter's oiseaule behaviour has started to overshadow a Prime Minister's successful function. Filing a police case and let NY goon-squad do their latex-rimming is ideal. But running a signature campaign is keeping the long past expiry date career of a deadbeat alive.

Btw, that John Oliver bit is condescending brit-turdery, masquerading as American-style irreverent humor. In one sweet move, bugger has bracketed a legit Indian PM with a crackpot like Mugabe.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I makes me feel too much of wow when Modi talks in Hindi even in Council for Foreign Relation NY.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

hnair wrote:The thing is this - a deadbeat TV reporter's oiseaule behaviour has started to overshadow a Prime Minister's successful function. Filing a police case and let NY goon-squad do their latex-rimming is ideal. But running a signature campaign is keeping the long past expiry date career of a deadbeat alive.

Btw, that John Oliver bit is condescending brit-turdery, masquerading as American-style irreverent humor. In one sweet move, bugger has bracketed a legit Indian PM with a crackpot like Mugabe.
May the power with you............it was atolen from mahabharta in first place.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/nyreg ... -modi.html

At Madison Square Garden, Chants, Cheers and Roars for Modi
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

A_Gupta wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote: It is lucky for Sardesai that (a) the people are inherently gentle and (b) they are in an environment where police would have quickly clamped down on any serious scuffle.
Per the video I saw, it was people in the crowd that started chanting "call the police, call the police".
After seeing the video, looks like I was too easy on Rajdeep and too hard on the crowd, if anything.

What a disgusting and disastrous lot of parasites this Sonia regime has bred. There needs to be some sort of cleansing such as what happened in China with Gang of Four after Mao's demise.
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Sumeet wrote:Petition to Remove Rajdeep Sardesai from Headlines Today Channel

Please help and spread the word.

Signed.

....and forwarded to friends and family.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

hnair wrote:
And brought in Merkel since they would have realised how stupid they would have sounded on air with just Mugabe "joke".
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/op ... tions.html

The Indian Diaspora Mostly Embraces Mr. Modi Without Reservations
bhalluka
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bhalluka »

Modiji's "Maay the pforce bhe bhit yoo" makes perfect sense in the context it was made.

The closing statement was made after reciting one of my all time favorite shlokas

Sarve bhavantu sukhinaH
Sarve santu niraamayaH
Sarve bhadraani pashyantu
maa kash-chid dukh bhaag bhavet
Aum Shaanti Shaanti Shaanti Aum

Nicely translated by Modiji

May all be happy.
May all enjoy health and freedom from disease.
May all have prosperity and good luck.
May none suffer or fall on evil days.
Aum Peace! Peace! Peace! Aum

You could see Hugh Jackman nodding and nearly joining in for the Aum Shanti part. Jackman is known to have studied them.

Modiji's reciting Brihadaaranyaka Upanishad 1.4.14, showcased the selfless, non-violent, peaceful nature of Indic culture.

Ending that with concepts that a global audience like that would understand that have equivalents in the Vedas/Upanishads - God bless you and May the force (prāṇa) be with you is quite relevant and natural.
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

The so called protesters (small number of cockroaches) ran away like cowards as the real Indian diaspora showed up. If they conviction they would have stood like a rock since they did not they just blew away like dust.
Outside, where a small crowd protested the prime minister’s handling of the sectarian riots that erupted in Gujarat in 2002 — events that led the United States government to put him under a visa ban in 2005 — Mr. Modi, who now travels on a diplomatic visa, was considerably less popular.

But the protesters had dispersed by the time the arena throngs spilled onto the sidewalk, where the press of Midtown Manhattan traffic and the long, hot wait for transportation did little to cool the fans’ fervor.
pankajs wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/nyreg ... -modi.html

At Madison Square Garden, Chants, Cheers and Roars for Modi
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 146_1.html
The 11 CEOs with whom the Prime Minister held his breakfast meeting at the swanky The Pierre comprised of - PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt, Citigroup chief Michael Corbat, MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga, Cargill's President and CEO David W MacLennan, Caterpillar's Douglas Oberhelman, AES' Andres Gluski, Merck's Kenneth Frazier, Co-founder and Co-CEO of Carlyle Group David Rubenstein, Hospira Group's Michael Ball and Warburg Pincus' Charles Kaye.
The CEOs were believed to have raised the issue of retrospective tax amendments to which Modi told them that no new cases will be taken up, sources told Business Standard.
The six CEOs who called on the Prime Minister separately before he left for Washington to meet US President Barack Obama were Jeffrey R. Immelt of GE, James McNerney of Boeing, IBM's Virginia Rometty, Henry Kravis of Kravis Kohlberg Roberts (KKR), Laurence D. Fink of BlackRock and Goldman Sachs' Lloyd Blankfein.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Man! What an experience! :)

One thing is clear though, India and US will be real good friends when they are equals. And that can only happen when Unkil declines or India grows up. Until then a real friendly relationship is next to impossible.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

The Pierre is owned by the Tata Group I think.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

bhalluka wrote: You could see Hugh Jackman nodding and nearly joining in for the Aum Shanti part. Jackman is known to have studied them.
A littl OT, but Hugh has personally designed his engagement ring with a Sanskrit insciption on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Jackman
Jackman married Deborra-Lee Furness on 11 April 1996 at St. John's in Toorak, Victoria, a suburb of Melbourne.They met on the set of Australian TV show Correlli. Jackman personally designed an engagement ring for Furness, and their wedding rings bore the Sanskrit inscription "Om paramar mainamar", translated as "we dedicate our union to a greater source"
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

JE Menon wrote:The Pierre is owned by the Tata Group I think.
Yep, it is. :)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

bhalluka wrote:Modiji's "Maay the pforce bhe bhit yoo" makes perfect sense in the context it was made.Sarve bhavantu sukhinaH
Sarve santu niraamayaH Sarve bhadraani pashyantu
maa kash-chid dukh bhaag bhavet Aum Shaanti Shaanti Shaanti Aum
Here is woh Purani apne wali Tina. I would have been Sone Pey Suhaga had they brought her to S
sing it for crowd. It would have made this Shloka instantly known to Millions. There no prayer in Desertwalas to come even close to this.

CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Muppalla wrote:Uneven Cohen is still not changed a bit.
Whats the deal with Uneven? Was it something he said at CFR speech? Also, guys, I didn't have time to watch through the entire CFR speech, but was there anything profound he said? Anything about TSP & terror?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

deleted
Last edited by CRamS on 30 Sep 2014 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, ModiJi doesn't need my advce, but I am disappointed with his statement (I guess at CFR) on terror.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/terro ... ork-599757

This is way too general and politically correct, even TSP will say me too. I don't understand the sensitivity here? Why can't he name TSP? And without a direct frontal attack on the hosts, he could also criticize the co-opting of terrorist entity as an all-lie and showering it with massive aid. Finally, he could have compared the be-heading of US/UK journalists with the be-heading of Indian soldiers on the LOC, and invoked Cameron's statement that such acts are pure evil.
bhalluka
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bhalluka »

Juhujarji, Tina Tuner singing Sarvesham Svastir Bhavatu as a lead on or follow on to Modi would have been awesome!

On the topic of Star Wars, there is a very clear drawing of ideas from Hindu/Vedic traditions in the books and screenplay of movies.

Here is a good source

The Jedi in the Lotus: Star Wars and the Hindu Tradition
By Steven J. Rosen
http://books.google.com/books?id=ud9x63 ... &q&f=false

So it is very likely that the "May the force be with you" and other derivatives in the Star Wars movies were inspired by Vedic philosophy and Modiji was just closing the circle.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

hnairji:

The desi turd media was going to sneer anyway. Only those are kept busy with the Rage-dweeb Sore-Assi petishun. Petishun is needed because an example is needed. He deliberately provoked the crowd of peaceful people who had come to see the PM.

To gauge the arrogance of the turds, consider what a co-turd of Rage-Dweeb's wrote as the Provocation:
They shouted pro-Modi slogans in HIS (Rage-Dweeb's) presence
Oh, yeah, Blasphemy! How dare they!

By all means, keep that campaign alive, he needs to be kicked out. The Zee report was PRETTY damning. Called him a disgrace to the nation.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 828881.cms
Every effort was then made by our dear friends and colleagues from India to extract the last morsel of information about the meeting from fellow scribes and the few officials present, causing some embarrassment and mortification.
bwahaha...this reminds me of that very funny vadively comedy segment

escaped convict to vadivelu : tell the police, i did not tell you anything
vadivelu : ok

police catching up, sees vadivelu : what did that convict say?
vadivelu: "he told me to tell you that he did not tell anything"
police : "its ok, he is gone, tell me what he said"

vadivelu again :"he told me to tell you that he did not tell anything"
police: dai...*beats vadivelu*

Modi should have done the same "tell the indian press that i told you nothing".
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^^^^CFR: I dumped when modi ji said for make in india: jero defect, jero effect! then he added 0-effect on env! impacting the minds yeh!
mehroke
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mehroke »

Sumeet wrote:Petition to Remove Rajdeep Sardesai from Headlines Today Channel

Please help and spread the word.
Signed
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Modi will Be Modi & Pull Every Old Boddi!

[youtube]mQ_AQgs9vHs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... ous-cliche
Finally meet Pankaj Misra meet Economist and finally John Oliver
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

CRamS wrote:Guys, ModiJi doesn't need my advce, but I am disappointed with his statement (I guess at CFR) on terror.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/terro ... ork-599757

This is way too general and politically correct, even TSP will say me too. I don't understand the sensitivity here? Why can't he name TSP? And without a direct frontal attack on the hosts, he could also criticize the co-opting of terrorist entity as an all-lie and showering it with massive aid. Finally, he could have compared the be-heading of US/UK journalists with the be-heading of Indian soldiers on the LOC, and invoked Cameron's statement that such acts are pure evil.
At CFR, IMO there is no need to state the obvious. At other public forums, yes.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

Pankaj Mushra can go suck his goat for all I care. He is actually the small minded vain boy that he so often decried against.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

svinayakJi et. al, not to give PMisra any importance, but I read that piece, and other than that he viscerally hates Modi (or for that matter any Hindu), what is whining about. In fact, one of the hall marks, as A_GuptaJi also noted in his summarization, is that he did not offer any grandiose bombastic promises. All he said was among other small things, build toilets, and clean up the Ganges. I cannot imagine anyone taking any issue with what ModiJi offered. I have my issues with this visas on arrival, no need to report to police station etc, given that Uncle & TSP Americans could use those as loop holes to sneak in evil scum bags like DCH, but even those are just run of the mill stuff. What exactly did Modi promise or say that border on fantasy as PMisra claims?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

svinayak wrote:http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... ous-cliche
Finally meet Pankaj Misra meet Economist and finally John Oliver
I remember Pankaj Misra as one who accused the Indian government of complicity in the Chattisinghpora massacre back around when POTUS Clinton was visiting India. I thought that extremely foul; and if Misra wanted some independent proof, we have from now from David Headley. As far as I have been able to check, Misra has never offered an apology for that.

Anyway, I have offered my own comments as Arun (my first name) on the article. I suspect it is time for our Scandinavian friends to add their wisdom as well.